PDA

View Full Version : will the spurs make a move this season?

gambit1990
01-10-2019, 12:52 AM
the trade deadline is fast approaching/less than a month away. spurs have until february 7th to make a deal--will they?

Spurs fever
01-10-2019, 12:55 AM
Probably not...

John B
01-10-2019, 01:15 AM
I bet on not. Spurs are overachieving this year imo. I think the main focus is next year when everybody’s healthy, Demar has played more with the squad, building more chemistry, Poeltl, Lonnie, Metu got another year. This year is observing what else they can tweak but not necessarily shaking the chemistry with a major trade. Maybe Metu, Huestis is enough. If not they’ll see what they can get with the 3 picks or trade the picks to move up, or package Gasol. Whatever I think it will be done at draft night. But nothing this season unfortunately imo

Kobe'sAchilles
01-10-2019, 02:11 AM
I really hope they don't. There's nobody out there that's worth giving up pieces for (realistically) and I rather not take on another stupid contract when Gasol's is coming off the books very soon.

Larry O
01-10-2019, 01:23 PM
I've been following this interesting (weird, more like it) story about Patrick McCaw, & how the Worriers decided not to pick-up or match their 2 year 5M offer to their 6-7 PG/SF, a 2nd round pick back in 2016 from UNLV. Instead, the Cavs picked him up for a non-guaranteed 6M 2 year contract, then waived him on Jan 7th, making him a RFA. There was speculations & rumors that the Cavs were going to resign him back. Suddenly the NBA decided to get involved by launching a review to make sure that the Cavs did not violate any NBA rules about this. Now today, RealGM is reporting that the Raptors have signed McCaw to a one year vet min ($786.000). WOW! Now, the Spurs could have gone after him for that price! He's younger that Q-Pon or DC33 & is a champion! He could play the 3 position, and the $ would have been on the cheap. I know, I know... SAS won't disrupt what they already have set in a team. They are loyal, which I like about this organization, but perhaps PATFO may have done their homework on this guy & know that he wouldn't be a good fit(?). Oh well... it was a good dream... GSG!!!

BD24
01-10-2019, 01:31 PM
No. The most they will do is sign some end of the bench scrub or way past his prime scrub.

Chucho
01-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Why? Nothing that will propel us from "puncher's chance in a parity-driven West" to "strong favorite in the parity-driven West" is available or even remotely feasible.

Stay pat, we're the hottest squad the last few weeks. We're fine as is.

R. DeMurre
01-10-2019, 02:06 PM
I think they'll wait until the off season to move at least one guard for either a legit swing player or big. When Murray returns, that'll give them
Murrray, White, DeRozan, Mills, Belinelli, Walker, and Forbes: That's seven guards, with Mills & Forbes replicating one other and Belinelli being in the way of White & Walker's development.

TimDunkem
01-10-2019, 02:12 PM
They can't, and they wouldn't if they could, so they won't.

spurraider21
01-10-2019, 02:18 PM
nope

Russ
01-10-2019, 02:31 PM
They don't quite know what they have.

The Spurs never make a move in that situation.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-10-2019, 02:51 PM
I was screaming tank in November like a fool and doubted this team greatly. Wouldn't be a point in making a move this season with how well this team has been gelling as of lately.

Spurs Homer
01-10-2019, 03:06 PM
I've been following this interesting (weird, more like it) story about Patrick McCaw, & how the Worriers decided not to pick-up or match their 2 year 5M offer to their 6-7 PG/SF, a 2nd round pick back in 2016 from UNLV. Instead, the Cavs picked him up for a non-guaranteed 6M 2 year contract, then waived him on Jan 7th, making him a RFA. There was speculations & rumors that the Cavs were going to resign him back. Suddenly the NBA decided to get involved by launching a review to make sure that the Cavs did not violate any NBA rules about this. Now today, RealGM is reporting that the Raptors have signed McCaw to a one year vet min ($786.000). WOW! Now, the Spurs could have gone after him for that price! He's younger that Q-Pon or DC33 & is a champion! He could play the 3 position, and the $ would have been on the cheap. I know, I know... SAS won't disrupt what they already have set in a team. They are loyal, which I like about this organization, but perhaps PATFO may have done their homework on this guy & know that he wouldn't be a good fit(?). Oh well... it was a good dream... GSG!!!

Hey that is interesting except...

McCaw fucking sucks - if you think people hate on patty and gasol - wait until you see the hate
if the spurs get that scrub.

monty4329
01-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Last year he played poorly. But above all he is also, obviously, an idiot. He alienated the team that drafted him and played him as a rookie, where he could have had a decent outlook next couple years. Now he is on a shitty organization, making peanuts, with zero chance to learn and grow. Smart guy...Not Spurs material, really.

monty4329
01-10-2019, 03:29 PM
I think they'll wait until the off season to move at least one guard for either a legit swing player or big. When Murray returns, that'll give them
Murrray, White, DeRozan, Mills, Belinelli, Walker, and Forbes: That's seven guards, with Mills & Forbes replicating one other and Belinelli being in the way of White & Walker's development.

Very true. Hard choices to make in the offseason. On paper, you get rid of Mills, Beli, maybe even Waker (he has no chance to play next two years, barring injuries). But how can you, Mills is the heart and sould of the team, and Beli plays perfectly the Pop's motion offense, hard to tell them bye bye, enjoy Phoenix or Sacramento. Then three picks, maybe will be difficult to find three non-guards.

So after all, maybe it will be easier a trade this year.

marinoman
01-10-2019, 03:52 PM
I don’t think there’s a franchise less likely to make a move than the spurs, but they should, too many guards, 16+ mill to a useless big...

R. DeMurre
01-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Very true. Hard choices to make in the offseason. On paper, you get rid of Mills, Beli, maybe even Waker (he has no chance to play next two years, barring injuries). But how can you, Mills is the heart and sould of the team, and Beli plays perfectly the Pop's motion offense, hard to tell them bye bye, enjoy Phoenix or Sacramento. Then three picks, maybe will be difficult to find three non-guards.

So after all, maybe it will be easier a trade this year.

It really might just come down to whose salaries match up in a potential trade... one of those arbitrary things that happens in the modern NBA.

ceperez
01-10-2019, 05:03 PM
Guaranteed to make a move.

They've done this in previous seasons and they'll do this again. Basically wave borderline players like Cunningham and Pondexter.

Examples:
Mar 9, 2016 Waive Butler
Jan 17, 2015 Waive Austin Daye

ceperez
01-10-2019, 05:30 PM
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/1/10/18176527/quincy-pondexters-contract-is-now-officially-guaranteed

Chucho
01-11-2019, 01:58 AM
I was screaming tank in November like a fool and doubted this team greatly. Wouldn't be a point in making a move this season with how well this team has been gelling as of lately.

+2. Much appreciated.

Honesty and humility are two things lacking from the couch GMs that stink this place up.

FireMicoHalili
01-11-2019, 02:20 AM
Drop Moore, add Huestis. White’s performance should make it seem like Murray is expendable and some people here will try to come up with trade scenarios to package him with Pau but he’ll probably start at two-guard next season.

T Park
01-11-2019, 08:56 PM
if Brookyn can fall off the face of the earth, maybe Demarre Carroll could be had. If Minnesota continues to tank maybe Robert Covington?

Carroll though would be my top choice. Pau's 6.5 contract next year can be stretched, and throwing in Toronto's first rounder would help as well.
Get Carroll, and roll the dice.

GreekSpursfan
01-11-2019, 10:29 PM
You never trade a first rounder unless you have a legit mvp caliber player and want to maximize his productive years, we don't have such a player nor the assets plus picks to get one. If White, Murray, Walker continue to grow we might have something there. I see no significant moves on the horizon.