PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Gordon Trade

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Just read a BSPN article (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25731162/10-things-like-including-silly-all-star-rules-nba) about how he's being misused in Orlando (surprise surprise).

4. Searching for Aaron Gordon
Two seasons ago, Gordon appeared to find his niche as a playmaking power forward -- a screen-setter who could pass and dribble, Draymond Green-style, in open space. We have not seen much of that player since. (...) Gordon is talented enough to stumble into 15 points per game this way. He's a solid rebounder, and a stopper on defense across almost every position if he's dialed in.

There is a better player in here, somewhere. The Magic have shrouded it by shoehorning Gordon into too many wing minutes.

https://i.ibb.co/2sKJ0hV/ag.png

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8x92n5z

I think the Spurs staff could develop him. One issue is he's overpaid though.

R. DeMurre
01-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Orlando is just not good at developing players, but that being said the difference maker on that team is Nikola Vucevic, not Aaron Gordon. In RPM, Vucevic is 7th in the NBA and Gordon is 91st.

Chinook
01-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Somehow I'm not seeing Orlando going for this...

apalisoc_9
01-11-2019, 02:41 PM
:lmao

Spurmfans overrating whatever shit asset they have.

TheGreatYacht
01-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Fuck it, throw in Vucevic while we're at it.

sananspursfan21
01-11-2019, 02:44 PM
I can’t see even a tanking team going for that unless it were equal talent on their end

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 02:46 PM
:lmao

Spurmfans overrating whatever shit asset they have.

?

Gasol will be an expiring in a year (huge asset), is looking for a bigger role and can likely still put up 15/10/2 with starter minutes. He's also a big name for fans to latch onto. Gordon's PER is very pedestrian, and is a borderline bust with the Magic. He's super overpaid.

exstatic
01-11-2019, 02:57 PM

Only because they would look foolish after paying him. He's not that fucking great. He would also fuck up our spacing more than our mid range shooters do, since he can't even shoot mid range with any effectiveness.

spurraider21
01-11-2019, 03:42 PM
the players change, but spurstalk stays the same

go back 6-7 years and the talk was "trade bonner, blair, neal for [insert allstar]"

RC_Drunkford
01-11-2019, 04:01 PM
We don't have any assets to get a player of his caliber

Joseph Kony
01-11-2019, 04:03 PM
is OP fucking serious :lmao

TimDunkem
01-11-2019, 04:04 PM
2k is fun huh

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 04:05 PM

go back 6-7 years and the talk was "trade bonner, blair, neal for [insert allstar]"

Aaron Gordon is not an all star right now, in fact he's far from it.

Also it's funny, half this board overrates our players like crazy, and half the board underrates them like they're trash and the only reason why they're ok is because PATFO "trained" them. It's more of a middle ground. Guys like Forbes would probably be worth at least a 2nd rounder if opened up as trade bait now, considering the amount of publicity and shooting percentages they have playing under Pop.

Another point to consider: keep in mind, this is the same Magic team that hired away Jacque Vaughn to be their head coach (:lol) and also paid Jonathan Simmons, who ended up being a huge bust for them. It's not like their ownership has 200 IQ.

spurraider21
01-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Aaron Gordon is not an all star right now, in fact he's far from it.
agreed. but just the hope that other teams will willingly give us value for our garbage

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 04:10 PM
agreed. but just the hope that other teams will willingly give us value for our garbage

Teams are fully in the Zion sweepstakes right now. Between now and the trade deadline is the best (only) time to make these types of value adding deals. Teams are into dumping salary, yet don't want to make it seem like they are, so the fans keep attending. Which is exactly why a player like Pau Gasol still has value. Even the announcers on TNT last night were like "these Spurs are finally playing up to their potential, they have Aldridge, DeRozan, Gasol, etc..." Then a guy reminded that announcer Gasol has been hurt all year :lol

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 04:14 PM
HOW and why is a guy who never average 20 pp a year getting paid 21 million a year?.

just looked it gets cheaper as i goes on....

MAYBE

1. Orlando front office
2. Big dunks, big popularity:

5Q6n5NE6Cb4

BTW for everyone saying we should go after Vucevic instead. He's a great player, and a better player, no doubt. But at this point that might be paying for peak value, and even a FO like Orlando knows it by now. You couldn't get a Vucevic without giving up a star. It would be like trying to trade for Porzingod last year (pre injury). Even the Knicks wouldn't be stupid enough to let him go for only expirings and role players.

TheRemix
01-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Aaron Gordon for pau and dante....lmao

Chinook
01-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Pretty sure that was for Ariza. I was really into a Bonner/Blair package. Might seem laughable, but Washington wanted Blair (ended up signing him two years later), and they traded Trevor for Melvin Ely that next summer. People forget that Ariza wasn't a highly thought of player for the middle of his career. Between his time in LA and his second Houston stint, dude was sort of a bust.

In a similar vein, folks wanted to trade Bonner and a first for Derrick Williams back in the day. Seems stupid now, not because it was a bad package (as "woke" STers thought back then), but because of how forgettable Williams ended up being. He was traded straight-up for LRMaM. Luc was a fine player, but considering how Minny ended up dumping him soon after, the first was better value.

Then you have the AK trade from around that time with Bonner, Blair and a first. Minny ended up letting him go for nothing that same off-season. Nets barely paid him anything, but it was still too much, because Andrei was done.

What's weird is that I started off writing a ":lol ST" self-deprecation post. But looking back, those were fair trades that only seemed bad because those guys were on value bubbles. Maybe Gordon is going to turn out the same way. Lord knows Zach Lavine doesn't seem like a bargain so far.

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 04:28 PM
AK trade from around that time with Bonner, Blair and a first. Minny ended up letting him go for nothing that same off-season. Nets barely paid him anything

Pretty sure Prokhorov paid him/his family in Russia under the table on that one, IIRC :reading

Chinook
01-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Pretty sure Prokhorov paid him/his family in Russia under the table on that one, IIRC :reading

That was certainly the rumor. But what was weird is that he really fell apart that season. I believe he either quit half-way through that year or had another year under contract that he quit instead of doing. Felt like he just didn't want to play basketball anymore, but I'm not sure if being on the Spurs could have changed that.

RD2191
01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Can we also trade Mills for Anthony Davis while we're at it?

cd021
01-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Just read a BSPN article (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25731162/10-things-like-including-silly-all-star-rules-nba) about how he's being misused in Orlando (surprise surprise).

4. Searching for Aaron Gordon
Two seasons ago, Gordon appeared to find his niche as a playmaking power forward -- a screen-setter who could pass and dribble, Draymond Green-style, in open space. We have not seen much of that player since. (...) Gordon is talented enough to stumble into 15 points per game this way. He's a solid rebounder, and a stopper on defense across almost every position if he's dialed in.

There is a better player in here, somewhere. The Magic have shrouded it by shoehorning Gordon into too many wing minutes.

https://i.ibb.co/2sKJ0hV/ag.png

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8x92n5z

I think the Spurs staff could develop him. One issue is he's overpaid though.

Are you suggesting that they want to unload his money without getting assets in return? Simply doesn't make any sense.

gospursgojas
01-11-2019, 06:31 PM
The guy that can dunk real goods?

Mr. Body
01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
We should have gone for Oladipo while he was still there. He had star written all over him and no one could fucking read.

BWS-1994
01-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Better chance of getting Jonathan Isaac.

exstatic
01-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Are you suggesting that they want to unload his money without getting assets in return? Simply doesn't make any sense.

He has four years left on his deal. It’s probably too soon, but at some point, maybe halfway, they’ll probably salary dump him. He’s simply not worth the money, and not progressing.

phxspurfan
01-11-2019, 07:52 PM
He has four years left on his deal. It’s probably too soon, but at some point, maybe halfway, they’ll probably salary dump him. He’s simply not worth the money, and not progressing.

This. At some point (especially if they keep Vucevic and are tanking), they will want to start salary dumping to become an attractive place for lottery picks and good free agents (not ones being paid 21M to have a 15 PER). Which is where a team like the Spurs comes in. They may want a nice project guy, and they have an almost expiring big to exchange for that. The Dante/salary matching component may change, and of course any front office worth their salt will ask for a good prospect as a salary filler. It's the Spurs' FO to not give away the farm there, as those are some super important sports (players outplaying their contract or on rookie deals).

Sadly the salary filler part is exactly where the Spurs just got fleeced by adding Danny Green to the Kawhi deal to match salary. They should have tried to unload Patty or someone, anyone else.

Dverde
01-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Why would the Spurs trade for him while there is an overrated European player with an unusual name on the same roster?

slick'81
01-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Lol at anyone taking cunningham for anything

FutureMan
01-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Wow... this trade is god awful. Gordon actually has an OK contract. With it decreasing over time they can afford to have a team that includes two max players, Gordon, Vucevic, and a ton of rookie contracts. That’s a playoff team in the east easy.

The only trades the Magic should be making are ones to get rid of Mozgov to create space next year and/or to find a trade for Ross if they don’t intend to keep him.

YGWHI
01-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Orlando is just not good at developing players, but that being said the difference maker on that team is Nikola Vucevic, not Aaron Gordon. In RPM, Vucevic is 7th in the NBA and Gordon is 91st.

In 2016 they hired Chad Forcier -former Spurs development-coach- but fired him last season.

Also there were rumors they wanted to trade Vucevic, the only player doing great this season. Tanking?

GreekSpursfan
01-11-2019, 10:18 PM
This trade is not realistic, the real question is who's gonna get Vucs because Orlando is gonna trade him real soon or they lose him for nothing.

Biggems
01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
After Timmy rightfully did Poorlando dry twice, I doubt anyone in Mickeyland is willing to do the Spurs any favors, even if it was several years ago. Some wounds don't heal.

Still, the Tragic management would have to be very drunk, very high, or involved in a blackmail scheme to agree to such a trade, unless we included some draft picks.

TimmyBuckets
01-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Fuck it, throw in Vucevic while we're at it.

R. DeMurre
01-12-2019, 11:56 AM
In 2016 they hired Chad Forcier -former Spurs development-coach- but fired him last season.

Also there were rumors they wanted to trade Vucevic, the only player doing great this season. Tanking?

They drafted Mo Bamba, thinking he'd be the center of the future, but he's off to a slow start while Vucevic is having by far the best year of his career. I think Vucevic is a legit late bloomer who as a free agent lots of teams will pursue this summer... If Orlando thinks he's leaving, they might trade him to get something out of it.

Nivek_ogre
01-12-2019, 03:48 PM
If that trade happened I can't imagine the meltdown on this board when people realize Aaron Gordon fucking sucks.