PDA

View Full Version : 2018-2019 Definitely Unexpected

Shrimp
01-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Remember for nearly 2 decades we were the same old boring Spurs?

Part of me wishes that Kawhi Leonard was still part of this team - but on the other side, this is been surprising, entertaining, satisfying, and at times absolutely thrilling!!! I don't know what this team's ceiling is - I keep trying to temper expectations, I know we can't sustain 3's like last night. But geez, we've beating top teams now, who saw THIS coming?

Something to consider. Since the majority of teams are trending towards the D'Antoni style 3's and dunks - over a full season, our opponents will have very few instances to play against an offense like ours, and they will have the 'defend the 3's and dunks mindset. Is one of our strengths the fact that teams don't know have enough repetition in how to defend a team like ours? And maybe a 7-game series is not enough time to adapt?

Pavlov
01-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Seeing White, Forbes and Bertans step up and perform beyond expectations has been a real pleasure.

Indianman
01-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Seeing White, Forbes and Bertans step up and perform beyond expectations has been a real pleasure.

+1
And DeMar's facilitation.
You also forgot to add Jakob there, mate.

Pavlov
01-11-2019, 05:18 PM
+1
And DeMar's facilitation.
You also forgot to add Jakob there, mate.True -- though tbh he's finally playing up to his expectations.

Indianman
01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
True -- though tbh he's finally playing up to his expectations.

He's exceeding them if you're to pay attention to some of the posters here.

Pavlov
01-11-2019, 05:38 PM
He's exceeding them if you're to pay attention to some of the posters here.I'm going by expectations at the time of his drafting.

Ibleedslvrnblk
01-11-2019, 05:40 PM
This season I have watched more games than usual. For years I always knew they would make the playoffs and then go from there.

I really wanted to see how the would transition into the era after the big 3 and life after KL. To the people who continue to shit on every little thing that goes wrong and jump off bridges at the slightest sign of something and then be like I told you so and they should have done this. Eat crow...

Ozballer
01-11-2019, 06:39 PM
You could see PATFO building under the radar last year. Letting go of Ginobili, Green, Parker, Anderson has put the Spurs in a new situation where they had to push the boundaries to re invent themselves. It has also given bigger responsibilities to the likes of DeMar, LMA and pushed everyone else to come out of their shells and re invent themselves. So far so good.

Credit to the coaching staff and team leadership as this could have gone horribly wrong.

In additions, KL departure. Kawhi 's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. For all the individual talent and basketball force he is, his lack of "charisma" and self centered introverted style (communication on and off the pitch) meant it would have been almost impossible to build a team around him. In the very end, team leadership is about managing teammates expectations as much as it is individual brilliance to make your team look good. Whilst KL excels in the latter, he is a big negative in the former. I'm sure this weighs heavily on any legit contending team if they look at signing him up next season. I'm curious to see where he ends up next year and how many legit offers he gets. So I will venture to say that no Kawhi has also been a big plus for a franchise such as the Spurs that places massive weight on leadership development and team first culture.
Fun to watch, refreshing, still a little unsettling but I wouldn't have it any other way.

adonis827
01-13-2019, 12:24 AM
^ lebron + kawhi + durant in the lakers next year would be scary

cutewizard
01-13-2019, 10:03 AM
:bobo

cutewizard
01-13-2019, 10:06 AM
LA could have

Davis at center
Durant and Kawhi at forwards
Lebron and Thompson at guards☆☆☆

That would definitely scare GS

cutewizard
01-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Only Curry and Draymond stays lol

Harry Callahan
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Only Curry and Draymond stays lol

I would enjoy seeing if Steve Boy can actually coach and develop players. Mark Jackson actually did a lot of the hard work on the front end for that team.

R. DeMurre
01-13-2019, 01:11 PM
The individual surprising players (outside of obvious stars) I've enjoyed watching most are:

Derrick White, Spurs
Jarrett Allen, Nets
Nikola Vucevic, Magic
Pascal Siakam, Raptors
Domantas Sabonis, Pacers
Blake Griffin, Pistons

rogcl1
01-13-2019, 01:42 PM
LA could have

Davis at center
Durant and Kawhi at forwards
Lebron and Thompson at guards☆☆☆

That would definitely scare GS

Has the salary cap been done away with ? Just curious how you make this work?

boutons_deux
01-13-2019, 02:13 PM
If only we could have October Demar for the rest of the season.

His funk, and it's more than just a shooting slump, is not a sign of tough competitor.

YGWHI
01-13-2019, 06:09 PM
In additions, KL departure. Kawhi 's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. For all the individual talent and basketball force he is, his lack of "charisma" and self centered introverted style (communication on and off the pitch) meant it would have been almost impossible to build a team around him. In the very end, team leadership is about managing teammates expectations as much as it is individual brilliance to make your team look good. Whilst KL excels in the latter, he is a big negative in the former. I'm sure this weighs heavily on any legit contending team if they look at signing him up next season. I'm curious to see where he ends up next year and how many legit offers he gets. So I will venture to say that no Kawhi has also been a big plus for a franchise such as the Spurs that places massive weight on leadership development and team first culture.
Fun to watch, refreshing, still a little unsettling but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Damn...These crazy guys :lol

All teams know they have a chance to make Conf Finals/BA Finals with a healthy Kawhi playing for them...East/West, it doesn't matter.

I wonder HOW there is anyone out there who still doubts the Spurs with Kawhi would be a top team instead of playing for a playoffs' spot.

Ozballer
01-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Damn...These crazy guys :lol

All teams know they have a chance to make Conf Finals/BA Finals with a healthy Kawhi playing for them...East/West, it doesn't matter.

I wonder HOW there is anyone out there who still doubts the Spurs with Kawhi would be a top team instead of playing for a playoffs' spot.

Arguably yes but it cannot be confirmed or denied at this point. Time will tell. The fact remains that he is an odd fit because of his personality (not his freakish BBL skill) and that it requires extra toiling around the team for sure. Nothing more, nothing less.

YGWHI
01-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Arguably yes but it cannot be confirmed or denied at this point. Time will tell. The fact remains that he is an odd fit because of his personality (not his freakish BBL skill) and that it requires extra toiling around the team for sure. Nothing more, nothing less.

Who knows. There were players that didn't even talk with teammates in the whole season and still won rings

Believe or not, Kareem didn't even really approach anybody in his years in LA. He spend whole months without speaking but his teammates still respect him for his talent and performances on court.

Magic made him a bit more expressive but Kareem was a champ before Magic.

Jordan's teammates can't exactly say that he loved them.

Shaq and Kobe were hating each other and won ships.

Great teams want ballers not extroverted "leaders"

Ozballer
01-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Who knows. There were players that didn't even talk with teammates in the whole season and still won rings

Believe or not, Kareem didn't even really approach anybody in his years in LA. He spend whole months without speaking but his teammates still respect him for his talent and performances on court.

Magic made him a bit more expressive but Kareem was a champ before Magic.

Jordan's teammates can't exactly say that he loved them.

Shaq and Kobe were hating each other and won ships.

Great teams want ballers not extroverted "leaders"

Not saying it can't work and KL is a solid a performer as they come on the this sport. Not sure if you follow Soccer, but a paradigmatic case of a talent like not other failing to lead a team is Messi playing for his national team @ World Cups. Not unlike Kawhi, he is a quiet achiever (more talented in soccer terms for sure, we are talking arguably best ever) and one that his leadership skills and abilty to round up a team have been questioned and failed to yield results in 3 world cups...