PDA

View Full Version : BSPN Article on Tony Parker's Decision to Leave

MoSpur02
01-14-2019, 12:51 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25737549/inside-tony-parker-departure-spurs

Some good info in there. Initially I wasn't happy about him leaving. He was offered a contract, but took Charlotte's instead and I don't blame him. After seeing White's and Forbes' development it seems it worked out for the best for both the Spurs and TP.

TimmyBuckets
01-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the article, Mo. This was a tear-jerker. I love TP and so does SA. He did what was best for him, and it worked out for all parties involved.

My favorite part of the article here:

Parker regrets how that played out and finds it "unbelievable" some fans thought the comments played a role in Leonard's desire to leave San Antonio.
"If people think that, then they're really wrong," Parker says, addressing the situation publicly for the first time. "Because I'm definitely not the reason. I was saying that in a positive way. The sad thing is everybody ran with this and put me as the bad guy, and I had no problem playing with Kawhi.
"I loved playing with him. I'm kind of the one who passed him the torch because it was kind of my team between 2008 and 2015, and I passed the torch to him. So it was sad people tried to put me against Kawhi. It never happened like that. People like [former Spur] Danny Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

Spurs fever
01-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Great article. Thanks!

MoSpur02
01-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Not understood the hate TP received in this forum. He gave us all he had during all those years he played here. He was great for the Spurs. I was a bit sad when I was told he was going to leave, but accepted and happy for him. Wanted him to play all his years as a Spur, but as I stated earlier it worked out for the best. I wasn't a fan of Forbes at all and didn't know what to expect from White and felt the Spurs made have made a mistake letting Parker leave, but that is all changing now.

I still think Forbes sucks on defense, but he's won me over. His shooting has helped the team a lot and he's making good decisions on when to drive to the hoop. White has been a stud. He's been great on both ends of the court.

R. DeMurre
01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
"People like Danny Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

That quote speaks volumes. Parker and Kawhi played together for seven seasons and Parker "didn't know him" and had to speak through other players to communicate with him.

Also: That knew Kawhi and could talk to ​THEM....

MoSpur02
01-14-2019, 01:48 PM
"People like Danny Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

That quote speaks volumes. Parker and Kawhi played together for seven seasons and Parker "didn't know him" and had to speak through other players to communicate with him.

Also: That knew Kawhi and could talk to ​THEM....

Yeah I found that pretty interesting.

BSfromTX
01-14-2019, 01:56 PM
You’d have to be an idiot to think what Parker said was in any way being critical and was a reason nephew bailed. Uncle and player fans struggling to justify jumping ship

TDomination
01-14-2019, 02:11 PM
You’d have to be an idiot to think what Parker said was in any way being critical and was a reason nephew bailed. Uncle and player fans struggling to justify jumping ship

Pretty much this.

It's like if you paraphrase what Parker literally meant to say, it was probably along these lines:
"hey man no need to worry, we got the best medical staff here, my injury was much worse but i was able to come back from it so i have all the confidence in the world that you will be back on the court soon. Don't be down on yourself, you will be playing to 100% soon."

but due to the timing of it and the wording, media decided that it was an attack planned by pop and parker.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Parker doesn't mince words and doesn't play the American politically correct card when he speaks. The fact that he mentioned THEM in his statement was o accident and really revealed what kind of relationship Kawhi had with the organization. The dude just wanted out of SA and wanted to go home to LA. It's as simple as that.

Cane
01-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Pretty much this.

It's like if you paraphrase what Parker literally meant to say, it was probably along these lines:
"hey man no need to worry, we got the best medical staff here, my injury was much worse but i was able to come back from it so i have all the confidence in the world that you will be back on the court soon. Don't be down on yourself, you will be playing to 100% soon."

but due to the timing of it and the wording, media decided that it was an attack planned by pop and parker.

Spurs hiring Brent Barry after Porker's display of leadership says it all, tbh

Mugen
01-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Not understood the hate TP received in this forum. He gave us all he had during all those years he played here. He was great for the Spurs. I was a bit sad when I was told he was going to leave, but accepted and happy for him. Wanted him to play all his years as a Spur, but as I stated earlier it worked out for the best. I wasn't a fan of Forbes at all and didn't know what to expect from White and felt the Spurs made have made a mistake letting Parker leave, but that is all changing now.

I still think Forbes sucks on defense, but he's won me over. His shooting has helped the team a lot and he's making good decisions on when to drive to the hoop. White has been a stud. He's been great on both ends of the court.

Mo, I'm with you on the bold. But it's not really that surprising that TP gets some hate here tbh.

FkLA
01-14-2019, 02:35 PM
His team from 2008-2015? :lol

This is the one thing that made me not fully embrace him like I did Timmy and Manu. That ego.

With that said, he was a loyal Spur and I hope he gets the reception he deserves. God bless the great William Anthony Parker, tbh.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-14-2019, 02:37 PM

:pop: HOtS :pop:

GusT15
01-14-2019, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the article, Mo. This was a tear-jerker. I love TP and so does SA. He did what was best for him, and it worked out for all parties involved.

Parker regrets how that played out and finds it "unbelievable" some fans thought the comments played a role in Leonard's desire to leave San Antonio.
"If people think that, then they're really wrong," Parker says, addressing the situation publicly for the first time. "Because I'm definitely not the reason. I was saying that in a positive way. The sad thing is everybody ran with this and put me as the bad guy, and I had no problem playing with Kawhi.
"I loved playing with him. I'm kind of the one who passed him the torch because it was kind of my team between 2008 and 2015, and I passed the torch to him. So it was sad people tried to put me against Kawhi. It never happened like that. People like [former Spur] Danny Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

Tony i love you man,you were an amazing player,first ballot Hall of Famer,Spur Legend,but this WAS NOT your team.You were the first option in offence and then you gave some of your FG attempts to Kawhi after 2015.

Especially on the 2014 championship run which was the best team basketball played in the history of the sport by any team,it's asinine to say "it was my team".

I get it that if you don't have an ego the size of Jupiter you don't make it in the NBA,you don't become an allstar,you don't win rings.

But it was Tim Duncan's team... It was always Duncan's team.

Nonetheless,thanks for everything TP,i wish you get a standing ovation till you tear up tonight!

gameFACE
01-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Coach TP. It could happen.

GusT15
01-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Coach TP. It could happen.

Parker said about 3 years ago that he was not interested in coaching but he really wanted to be the GM of an NBA team.

Seventyniner
01-14-2019, 03:02 PM

This is the one thing that made me not fully embrace him like I did Timmy and Manu. That ego.

With that said, he was a loyal Spur and I hope he gets the reception he deserves. God bless the great William Anthony Parker, tbh.

I'm about to fall over from shock from that last line tbh.

Parker's ego certainly was bigger than Tim's and Manu's, but compared to the rest of the league it was still pretty small. Tim just had no ego at all, and Manu not a whole lot more.

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 03:36 PM

I love TP but TD and Manu would secretly disagree with TP's comments there.

hater
01-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Not understood the hate TP received in this forum. He gave us all he had during all those years he played here. He was great for the Spurst.

2 words Manure Tard Fans

spurs10
01-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Also: That knew Kawhi and could talk to ​THEM.... Maybe Tony did try to reach Kawhi and met the same resistance that Tim and David met from "them" and was unable to speak one on one with Kawhi. "Them" refers to the buffer they all encountered ...perhaps?

Proxy
01-14-2019, 05:15 PM
last season was always funny seeing the difference in the way the offense ran when TP was in and when Murray was in

tmtcsc
01-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Anyone else going to the game to "boo" him tonight? :eyebrows

TimmyBuckets
01-14-2019, 05:27 PM
I love TP but TD and Manu would secretly disagree with TP's comments there.

Highly doubt it.

TheGreatYacht
01-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Parker dropping truth nukes as he always has. HOTS from 2008-2015 :tu

timvp
01-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Good article :tu

TP might have been the funnest Spur to root for all-time in terms of watching his progression over the years. From skinny 19-year-old rookie who was thought of as a possible change of pace backup to no-brainer starter to destroying Gary Payton in the playoffs to becoming unguardable by other point guards to All-Star and Finals MVP to second half of his career renaissance to legit MVP candidate. Four-time champion, absorbed Pop's harshest coaching, managed to be an alpha leader while never clashing with Duncan and Manu, always just wanted to win basketball games.

Thanks, TP.

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Anyone else going to the game to "boo" him tonight? :eyebrows

No, we'll all be too busy doing this:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2634b712626d805ca0c36679f206734c/tenor.gif?itemid=8195602

Kori Ellis
01-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Did I hear Tony say today that he's hosting Manu's jersey retirement like he did Tim's? :wow The Manu vs Tony people are going to hate that!

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Did I hear Tony say today that he's hosting Manu's jersey retirement like he did Tim's? :wow The Manu vs Tony people are going to hate that!

It's good to see them getting along, though I hope TP clarifies that the Spurs were also Manu's team, not just TD's and his, tbh.

weebo
01-14-2019, 06:14 PM
4th best all time spur

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 06:16 PM
4th best all time spur

Let's see:

1. TD
2. Admiral
3. Manu
4. TP
5. Gervin

Sildegil
01-14-2019, 07:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_zH-xNf04

Remember...

timvp
01-14-2019, 08:09 PM

Remember...

Good stuff. TP was a rookie (eight months younger than Lonnie Walker, to put it in perspective), in a must-win game on the road in his first playoff series and was the best player on the court with ultimate prime TD on his side and being defended by the best point guard defender of all-time.

Legendary, IMO.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-14-2019, 08:22 PM
It's good to see them getting along, though I hope TP clarifies that the Spurs were also Manu's team, not just TD's and his, tbh.

Didn’t TP and Manu always get along?

Diego20
01-14-2019, 08:25 PM
his team from 2008-2015:lol

selfish asf

FkLA
01-14-2019, 08:26 PM

Remember...

:wow :worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KQzsoIqTs

MultiTroll
01-14-2019, 08:36 PM
I'm kind of the one who passed him the torch because it was kind of my team between 2008 and 2015, and I passed the torch to him. "
aka the longest drought of Champ years and most underachieving Spurs teams in the Duncan era.
And FOH if you think you were the leader of the 2014 championship.

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 08:37 PM
If Kawhi didn't act like a bitch and try to sabotage the franchise, do you think TP would've stayed with the thought he can get 1 more ring?

Roscoe P. Coltrane
01-14-2019, 08:39 PM
I still think Parker is one of the reasons he left and not for what he said but because they simply didn't like each other dating back way before his comments.

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 08:40 PM
I still think Parker is one of the reasons he left and not for what he said but because they simply didn't like each other dating back way before his comments.

Manu didn't really like Kawhi, either, tbh.

xtremesteven33
01-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Not surprised he denied not trying to alienate Kawhi. Once a soilder always a soilder I suppose.

ElNono
01-14-2019, 09:09 PM

uuuugh... I have two tickets for sale to Manu's jersey retirement if that's the case...

Roscoe P. Coltrane
01-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Manu didn't really like Kawhi, either, tbh.I think maybe most on the team probably didn't like him.

SpurPadre
01-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Forbes is clearly proving me wrong with his excellent display of basketball. How could I be so wrong?

timtonymanu
01-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Forbes is clearly proving me wrong with his excellent display of basketball. How could I be so wrong?

He’s the most elite at clapping after his bricks, only Jeff Ayres compares.

mkurts
01-14-2019, 11:04 PM
Good riddance.

His team it ain’t, he played like shit in 2013, then 2014 got bailed out by the beautiful game. 2015 wtf ?

he was good from 2006 to maybe 2011, otherwise post Duncan, Ginobili did far more than him.

Didn’t Ray Allen sink the game winning 3 in his face as well because he couldn’t defend?

What a total egomaniac ass

Reminds me of Carmelo Anthony

lefty
01-15-2019, 12:47 AM
Good riddance.

His team it ain’t, he played like shit in 2013, then 2014 got bailed out by the beautiful game. 2015 wtf ?

he was good from 2006 to maybe 2011, otherwise post Duncan, Ginobili did far more than him.

Didn’t Ray Allen sink the game winning 3 in his face as well because he couldn’t defend?

WallyTiger
01-15-2019, 02:11 AM
Good riddance.

the north remenbers.

WallyTiger
01-15-2019, 02:41 AM
"I loved playing with him. I'm kind of the one who passed him the torch because it was kind of my team between 2008 and 2015...“

https://i2.hoopchina.com.cn/hupuapp/bbs/822/54623273599822/thread_54623273599822_20190113113531_s_511044_w_28 5_h_170_68108.gif

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2019, 08:51 AM
lol @ people in here fishing for interview comments to run with that justify their agenda. Overreacting per par

vavvi
01-15-2019, 10:36 AM
He’s the most elite at clapping after his bricks, only Jeff Ayres compares.

This ������������������

John B
01-15-2019, 10:55 AM
:wow :worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KQzsoIqTs
Dang and against the biggest thrash-talker Peyton, who could actually intimidate especially a rookie? And with the ball in his hand to facilitate. I almost forgot this Parker. Yup legendary :worthy::worthy::worthy:

John B
01-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Forbes’ a role player given too much decision making. He’d be great within a system.

YGWHI
01-15-2019, 09:38 PM
I loved TP's tribute video. Amazing TP's plays, the rings, celebrations with Tim and Manu...Loved it.:tu

Yeah I found that pretty interesting.
Other players like Cory Danny Brandon Kyle Jonathon Dwayne really talked with Kawhi and still do it.

Some people wanna say that Kawhi didn't communicate with his teammates but he really did it.

While he had 4-5 close guys in 2016, it was pretty obvious his lack of chemistry with the older guys LMA TP Manu.

Also, Parker can try to deny his problems with Kawhi but he was the only former Spurs that didn't exchange/meet Kawhi while warning up...

Bret Brown/Coach Bud/Cory/Dedmon/Kyle/even Tiago Splitter in the game vs Nets...Everyone shared love and hugs with him but Parker. I would say the issue is real.

hombre
01-16-2019, 02:02 AM
Also, Parker can try to deny his problems with Kawhi but he was the only former Spurs that didn't exchange/meet Kawhi while warning up...

Why would he? Kawhi quit on his team. During Manu's last season.

He's saying Danny knows it's all on Kawhi.

SASdynasty!
01-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Good riddance.

What’s funny about the Ray Allen 3 is that Tony was covering LeBron on the 3 he missed and then since Manu was on the floor ran full speed across the floor to at least get a hand up. Literally the only Spur playing any defense on that play.

Brazil
01-16-2019, 09:01 AM

to be fair he said kind of

offensively he was indeed

he did not say that in an arrogant way tbh.. just to reinforce the fact that he was kind of saying one of the leaders of the team and had no issue to pass the torch to kiwi

monty4329
01-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Good stuff. TP was a rookie (eight months younger than Lonnie Walker, to put it in perspective), in a must-win game on the road in his first playoff series and was the best player on the court with ultimate prime TD on his side and being defended by the best point guard defender of all-time.

Legendary, IMO.

Hard to say if had more balls TP, or Pop to give him the reins (sure, there were no other playable PG). One of the best rookie season in history.

...BTW about the referenced game....what a majestic talent was Vin Baker: if only he had half a brain...

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Good riddance.

Lol Parker was arguably the MVP in 2013 you complete retard. Aside from the finals, he was unstoppable in the regular season and playoffs. Ray Allen only got the chance to hit that shot because Manure gave the Heat 8 extra possessions.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 09:46 AM
2013 regular season:
Parker - 20.3ppg, 7.6apg, 52.2FG%
Manure - 11.8ppg, 4.6apg, 42.5FG%

2013 Spurs first round vs Lakers:
Parker - 22.3ppg, 6.5apg, 49.3FG%
Manure - 11.3ppg, 4.8apg, 46.7FG%

2013 Spurs WCF semis vs Warriors
Parker - 22.5ppg, 6.2apg, 42.6FG%
Manure - 12.7ppg, 6.7apg, 34.2FG%

2013 Spurs WCF finals vs Grizzlies:
Parker - 24.5ppg, 9.5apg, 53.2FG%
Manure - 10ppg, 4.5apg, 40.7FG%

Manuretards trying to rewrite history :lol as per usual the NUMBERS say differently. I wonder if those same illegals would say Manu "played like shit" if those numbers were reversed..,.

Seventyniner
01-16-2019, 10:05 AM
What’s funny about the Ray Allen 3 is that Tony was covering LeBron on the 3 he missed and then since Manu was on the floor ran full speed across the floor to at least get a hand up. Literally the only Spur playing any defense on that play.

Not to mention Parker defending Rip Hamilton's miss on the last play of game 5 in the 2005 Finals.

MultiTroll
01-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Most idiotic was his leaving Allen to go in for the rebound attempt.
Spurs were up by 3 with 4 seconds left. A Heat two pointer off a missed shot means absolutely nothing. We win the game if the Heat make a 2 pointer as the clock expires. Absolutely no reason for Parker to even attempt to rebound. Parkers ONLY job was to stay on Allen. ONLY way we could have lost is by a trey. Which he facilitated 100%.

Super low BBIQ.

Self proclaimed "Leader" :lmao

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Super low BBIQ.

But enough about Manure and Patty.

Phenomanul
01-16-2019, 03:42 PM
2013 regular season:

Manuretards trying to rewrite history :lol as per usual the NUMBERS say differently. I wonder if those same illegals would say Manu "played like shit" if those numbers were reversed..,.

Anyone can cherry-pick specific series. Your post proves nothing other than your stubborn willingness to continue to ignore that you operate on bias.

The fact is the Spurs needed both Tony AND Manu to bring their A or B game for them to succeed in the post-season. If either of them laid an egg in a series then the eventual outcome of that series was usually not favorable to the Spurs. Let it go... both of them are gone.

timvp
01-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Most idiotic was his leaving Allen to go in for the rebound attempt.
Spurs were up by 3 with 4 seconds left. A Heat two pointer off a missed shot means absolutely nothing. We win the game if the Heat make a 2 pointer as the clock expires. Absolutely no reason for Parker to even attempt to rebound. Parkers ONLY job was to stay on Allen. ONLY way we could have lost is by a trey. Which he facilitated 100%.

Super low BBIQ.

Uh, not that I've thought about that play after the Spurs rang in 2014 but Allen was Manu's man on that plan. Manu was the one who fell down trying to get the rebound. Parker defended LeBron's three and then came in rushing from across the court to get a hand up on Allen's three while Manu was on the ground, tbh.

For non-narrative spinners, that play was obviously neither Parker nor Manu's fault. Especially not Parker, though, if we're going to assign levels of blame, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 05:31 PM
Anyone can cherry-pick specific series. Your post proves nothing other than your stubborn willingness to continue to ignore that you operate on bias.The fact is the Spurs needed both Tony AND Manu to bring their A or B game for them to succeed in the post-season. If either of them laid an egg in a series then the eventual outcome of that series was usually not favorable to the Spurs. Let it go... both of them are gone.
Lol attempting to go after me instead of moron player fans in this thread. Trying to play the neutral card like you always do, but your colors always show phenomanul

MultiTroll
01-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Uh, not that I've thought about that play after the Spurs rang in 2014 but Allen was Manu's man on that plan. Manu was the one who fell down trying to get the rebound. Parker defended LeBron's three and then came in rushing from across the court to get a hand up on Allen's three while Manu was on the ground, tbh.

For non-narrative spinners, that play was obviously neither Parker nor Manu's fault. Especially not Parker, though, if we're going to assign levels of blame, tbh.
Concur faulty memory it was not Parker on Allen. What a collective team retard situation of too many Spurs going for the hero rebound and letting Allen slip back for the wide open trey. When a two essentially ends the game.

Just prior to that play, a real retard failure to either guard the trey or for that matter do ANYTHING positive was cherry / nose picking Green.
Check it out after Spurs went up 94-89 with only 28 seconds left. LeBron shoots a trey and clanks. Clock down to 23. Watch freaking Green. He not only guards no one he starts going to the other end of the floor!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51OKIZEkQE

MultiTroll
01-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Uh, not that I've thought about that play after the Spurs rang in 2014 but Allen was Manu's man on that plan. Manu was the one who fell down trying to get the rebound.
Manu initially on Ray Allen, but a kristal clear switch was made with 13 seconds left after Manu got screened out. Henceforth, Green on Allen one on one, as with 10 seconds left Allen slowly walks in in towards the basket, Green not only goes in too but actually ends up standing directly under the hoop. With his back to Allen. :lol Vs boxing Allen out and/or being prepared to get BEHIND Allen and contend should a funky rebound happen. Which is exactly what did.

Just an enormous super low IQ play by Spurs. And Green.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 06:47 PM
^ :lol Manure fans swimming in their own shit.

Exposed left and right as per the usual.

MultiTroll
01-16-2019, 07:31 PM
^ :lol Manure fans swimming in their own shit.

Exposed left and right as per the usual.
We're talking strategy so why don't you run along outside.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 07:36 PM
We're talking strategy so why don't you run along outside.
You were tucking your chode inbetween your legs, actually. That Parker schtick got shut down quick lol. Embarrassing....

Kobe'sAchilles
01-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Anyone can cherry-pick specific series. Your post proves nothing other than your stubborn willingness to continue to ignore that you operate on bias.

The fact is the Spurs needed both Tony AND Manu to bring their A or B game for them to succeed in the post-season. If either of them laid an egg in a series then the eventual outcome of that series was usually not favorable to the Spurs. Let it go... both of them are gone.
That's not the position you should die on your sword tbh. All we needed from Manu was to not turn the ball over 8 times in game 6. Hell we don't need him to have an A game for game 6 and probably don't need him to have a C game either. I can argue we win the championship if he had an F game as well. But the dude was damn near playing for the Miami Heat in game 6 and had worse than an F. If Z were a grade then that's what he had.

plus Parker is the only one who stepped up in the clutch. He played shitty all game but made two huge game winning plays and was also the only one who realized that Ray Allen was open. It took the ENTIRE Spurs team to kill Parker's heroics tbh. Ginobili with turnovers and missed free throws. Kawhi with missed free throw. Boris for not fouling Bosh immediately after he got the offensive rebound and giving up the offensive rebound. Danny for fucking leaving Ray open to begin with and not even trying to rebound. Pop for benching Timmy and Timmy for letting Pop bench him. Parker was LITERALLY a one man team. Everyone else in that final minute might as well have been wearing Heat jerseys and nobody can say shit otherwise

timvp
01-16-2019, 08:12 PM
plus Parker is the only one who stepped up in the clutch. He played shitty all game but made two huge game winning plays and was also the only one who realized that Ray Allen was open. It took the ENTIRE Spurs team to kill Parker's heroics tbh. Ginobili with turnovers and missed free throws. Kawhi with missed free throw. Boris for not fouling Bosh immediately after he got the offensive rebound and giving up the offensive rebound. Danny for fucking leaving Ray open to begin with and not even trying to rebound. Pop for benching Timmy and Timmy for letting Pop bench him. Parker was LITERALLY a one man team. Everyone else in that final minute might as well have been wearing Heat jerseys and nobody can say shit otherwise

Can't argue too much, tbh. I will say Parker had three huge game winning plays (the step back three over LeBron followed by the clutch steal followed by the go ahead shot in the lane). Green's bigger sin was leaking out on the break instead of fighting for the rebound on the previous play (Pop literally never forgave him for that). Pop taking out TD was classic overcoaching. Ginobili had the bad luck of his worst game of all-time coming at the worst time possible.

But, oh well, Spurs rang in 2014 (it's not like they were known for their back-to-back championship prowess, so can't even argue that missing out on 2013 cost the Spurs a sixth championship) so all is well.

It Still Doesn't Hurt.

MultiTroll
01-16-2019, 08:40 PM
You were tucking your chode inbetween your legs, actually. That Parker schtick got shut down quick lol. Embarrassing....
Between your Parker chode swallowing...….that game winning attempt he put up after the Ray Allen trey for the tie.
Here's a napkin. Embarrassing.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Can't argue too much, tbh. I will say Parker had three huge game winning plays (the step back three over LeBron followed by the clutch steal followed by the go ahead shot in the lane). Green's bigger sin was leaking out on the break instead of fighting for the rebound on the previous play (Pop literally never forgave him for that). Pop taking out TD was classic overcoaching. Ginobili had the bad luck of his worst game of all-time coming at the worst time possible.

But, oh well, Spurs rang in 2014 (it's not like they were known for their back-to-back championship prowess, so can't even argue that missing out on 2013 cost the Spurs a sixth championship) so all is well.

It Still Doesn't Hurt.

Yeah 2014 really really helped the healing process. And I mostly forgave Ginobili for that horrible game though for some reason I haven't forgiven him for the Dirk foul (and Ginobili played like a WARRIOR in that game). Kinda like how my dad still doesn't forgive Elliott for missing the two free throws that led to the Horry 3 in 1995, even after the memorial day miracle.
It's not the thought of back to back champions that hurt me (although Duncan did pretty much guarantee that they would've won it both years) but the fact that I have to see the Ray Allen shot in like the greatest finals moments of all time promos. Along with Duncan going undefeated against LeBron that would've been cool too. Also it might have cost Duncan an additional finals MVP which would've really separated him from Shaq and Kobe. I rather have won in 13 and lost in 14 just for Duncan's legacy.

MultiTroll
01-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Green's bigger sin was leaking out on the break instead of fighting for the rebound on the previous play (Pop literally never forgave him for that).
Better yet go back and guard LeBron at the arc. He had 10 years to recover from his contest of LeBrons shot and get back to him as the teams scrambled for the rebound. We had Timmy Dunks and Kwa for the rebound. (Kinda looks like they fought each other and/or over zealous Manu tipped it away from both of them.)

Regardless of the lucky rebound by the Heat, Spurs were up 94-89 with only 23 seconds at that point. They pretty much had to try another trey. WTF was Green doing guarding NO ONE. Not only that but heading back towards the other end. FFS.

SASdynasty!
01-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Not to mention Parker defending Rip Hamilton's miss on the last play of game 5 in the 2005 Finals.
Exactly, no one remembers one of the biggest defensive stops in Spurs history.

SASdynasty!
01-16-2019, 09:22 PM
2013 regular season:

Dude was literally half the player Parker was that year...if that.

Phenomanul
01-17-2019, 09:51 AM
That's not the position you should die on your sword tbh. All we needed from Manu was to not turn the ball over 8 times in game 6. Hell we don't need him to have an A game for game 6 and probably don't need him to have a C game either. I can argue we win the championship if he had an F game as well. But the dude was damn near playing for the Miami Heat in game 6 and had worse than an F. If Z were a grade then that's what he had.

I would be blind not to recognize Tony's herculean efforts and clutch play during the 2013 Finals. But it doesn't negate my own statement. Ginobili laid an egg that series. Result Spurs lost.

My grander point was that there were several series where Manu played elite basketball and the Spurs needed his contributions to move on. TGY's bias is his myopic tendency to just focus on Ginobili's worst series, or Parker's best ones as the defacto summary of their careers. THAT to me is asinine.

I will forever cherish Manu's flair, tenaciousness, creativity, passion, craftiness, and his second-to-none competitive fire.

With Tony we had stability, dependability, and his scoring amongst the big men was always spectacular. Much like Ginobili's "Eurostep", Tony's spin moves and tear drops are a staple in today's game that Tony perfected.

As I said in my previous post, Duncan ultimately needed both of them to enjoy the success that they did. I don't get why people always have to hate one player to love the other...

MultiTroll
01-17-2019, 10:07 AM
All we needed from Manu was to not turn the ball over 8 times in game 6. Hell we don't need him to have an A game for game 6 and probably don't need him to have a C game either. I can argue we win the championship if he had an F game as well. But the dude was damn near playing for the Miami Heat in game 6 and had worse than an F. If Z were a grade then that's what he had.
After Manus 4th turnover it was obvious his Alzheimer's was acting up to everyone watching the game except :pop:
I had friends over who are hockey watchers saying what the hell is wrong with that coach, get that guy out of there.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-17-2019, 01:33 PM
I would be blind not to recognize Tony's herculean efforts and clutch play during the 2013 Finals. But it doesn't negate my own statement. Ginobili laid an egg that series. Result Spurs lost.

My grander point was that there were several series where Manu played elite basketball and the Spurs needed his contributions to move on. TGY's bias is his myopic tendency to just focus on Ginobili's worst series, or Parker's best ones as the defacto summary of their careers. THAT to me is asinine.

I will forever cherish Manu's flair, tenaciousness, creativity, passion, craftiness, and his second-to-none competitive fire.

With Tony we had stability, dependability, and his scoring amongst the big men was always spectacular. Much like Ginobili's "Eurostep", Tony's spin moves and tear drops are a staple in today's game that Tony perfected.

As I said in my previous post, Duncan ultimately needed both of them to enjoy the success that they did. I don't get why people always have to hate one player to love the other...

oh I'm aware of his anti-Manu shtick and I agree that Duncan did need his troops to play well in order to win. But then some idiots starting blaming tony for losing game 6 and I kinda had lost it. But ginobili didn't lay an egg on that game but rather he cracked it open, poured it on the floor and then buried the remains. I love Gino though. He gave his heart and soul to the Spurs along with tony. They both had great series for us in championship years and had horrible ones in the non championship years. But Manu was a late second rounder and just a miracle that he panned out while tony was like the 29th pick and had great success. I just wish that Tim could've played with the same talent on his team that other top 10 players had. Tim might be the only player not to have played with a top 50 player of all time in his prime. Bird is the only other one that it's debatable if his teammates are top 50. That's what idiots on this board don't realize. We were supposed to suck after Tim retired. The Bulls sucked after Michael. The celtics after bird. The lakers after magic. but here we are fighting in the thick of a playoff run. It's just rare man so we might as well celebrate the past and enjoy what we have today.