PDA

View Full Version : DeRozan is becoming a problem

monty4329
01-15-2019, 04:13 AM
DeRozan attitude is very worrying.
Besides playing bad, which can depend on several reasons unbeknown to fans, he has a very piss poor attitude. Like a crybaby teenager.

He is missing sets on offense, tonight a couple of times he clearly went to the wrong spot (once Gasol screamed angrily at him after DDR collided with White after Pau indicated him where to go in the set). He is showing zero balls, basically.

Now, if it is a funk, ok. Don't like it but we can take it, shouldn't last long.

But the problem might be deeper. As it was clear to everybody, it was clear to him too: when the Spurs were playing very well, he wasn't the first/second option. Even if Pop keeps giving him minutes and the last shot of the game.

He wants his shots, his stats, no matter what. Hope they have a good talk to him, because he is becoming an attitude issue more than a basketball one.

vavvi
01-15-2019, 05:02 AM
DeRozan clearly can't be the first option for a contender. We knew that before the trade, during the trade and after the trade.
He played some games better than he usually does, now he's playing worse than he usually does. If this is extended we can risk a play-offs spot.

Also he seems to be quite fragile psychologically so maybe Pop prefers him to shoot himself out of the slump rather than facing him in a harsh manner.

ceperez
01-15-2019, 05:44 AM
Ever since Pau got rotation minutes.... DeRozan play has sucked (is it 3 straight games)?

Pau ruined a certain team chemistry, but honestly DeRozan's individual play has sucked.

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2019, 05:47 AM
I don't think the reason is fatigue. It's something mental which has always been DeRozan's problem. He either forces things on offense and misses everything or he plays too passive and scores 14 points in 40 minutes. Both hurts the team

james evans
01-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Not a negative DD thread lol. What happened to him being way better than “nephew”?

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2019, 06:49 AM
Not a negative DD thread lol. What happened to him being way better than “nephew”?

only an idiot would say that. DeRozan is nowhere close to nephew's level of play, although it seemed as if DeRozan had better chemistry with the players than him.

Namundy
01-15-2019, 07:33 AM
He needs to focus on his strengths right now and not lose confidence if his shot isn't falling. He should prioritize attacking the basket and facilitating for his teammates. That's the value he brings this year. The shot is a long term project and I suspect that was always the plan with such a short time frame post trade. You can't tinker with a guy's shot right before the season starts. The past few games he has settled too frequently for a mid-range jumper and it looks broken as hell.

Attacking DeRozan is best DeRozan. The memo is out to the league -- don't leave SA's shooters. He needs to take some advice from Quinn Snyder and put his head down and go to the fucking basket. I would really like to see him push the break in transition more. Feels like we've been playing in molasses the past few games.

superbigtime
01-15-2019, 09:20 AM
playing like an unfocused emo teenager wimp.

John B
01-15-2019, 09:28 AM
He seemed frustrated and sulking. I don’t want to think that Spurs system is “causing” him the ASG? Do we have two not-over-himself divas in the team?? Oh no :bang

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2019, 09:53 AM
This thread is very insensitive and irresponsible..

DeRozan has a long history of mental health issues, which is far more important than the game of basketball..Spurs fans should be supporting him and trying to understand what he's going through, rather than turning their backs on him..

cd021
01-15-2019, 09:54 AM
He either forces things on offense and misses everything or he plays too passive and scores 14 points in 40 minutes. Both hurts the team

Agreed.

His last 4 games, in particular, illustrate that point;

@ Memphis-4-15 FG, 9 points
OKC-7-22 FG, 18 points
@ OKC-7-19 FG, 16 points
Charlotte-7-15 FG, 14 points

He's also had 18 turnovers in those games to just 24 assists. Seems he can't find a middle ground. Maybe with Gay out, he's trying to fill the void by taking more shots or being more aggressive but he isn't hitting the broadside of a barn and it's not like he's taking 3's. It wasn't that long ago that he was hitting 50% of his 2pt FGs.

weeks
01-15-2019, 09:56 AM
the way he's playing right now he shouldn't be worried about the ASG

cd021
01-15-2019, 09:58 AM
He also gets way to upset at calls. I remember a few games ago where he got called for a foul while trying to defend a screen. He got knocked down and immediately popped back up and stormed toward the ref as if he might hit him. It affected his play afterward and it always seems too once he gets frustrated by a lack of calls.

exstatic
01-15-2019, 10:06 AM
He IS fatigued. Most of his jumpers are hitting the front of the rim. When he goes inside, he isn't getting many calls, leading to his frustration.

monty4329
01-15-2019, 10:08 AM

DeRozan has a long history of mental health issues, which is far more important than the game of basketball..Spurs fans should be supporting him and trying to understand what he's going through, rather than turning their backs on him..

He is making 27.7 million dollars this season. For the sublime performance of yesterday he made 338.000 dollars.
If he has a mental issue, he must take some time off the team and cure himself, same as with any other injury. "Understanding" doesn't mean condoning that abysmal level of performance and -above all- the irritating attitude he shows. He should grow a pair of balls or hire somebody to help him finding where they are.

I don't see where this tread is irresponsible.
Irresponsible is not showing up for work, and not taking care of your (mental) health if you are sick.

sasaint
01-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Ever since Pau got rotation minutes.... DeRozan play has sucked (is it 3 straight games)?

Pau ruined a certain team chemistry, but honestly DeRozan's individual play has sucked.

There are plenty of moving parts here, including the absence of Rudy, but I think you put the finger on the current problem both for DeMar and the team. We had built up good chemistry, and now we are back at square one trying to integrate Pau.

sammy
01-15-2019, 10:45 AM
The offense needs to go through LMA and then LMA will find the shooters or DeRozen! Last night, DeRozen, Mills and Forbes kept shooting and missing instead of feeding the ball to LMA who was hitting his shots and like donkeys continued to shoot bricks and also not passing the ball to Bertans, WTH!

Blackhaus
01-15-2019, 11:28 AM
This is who DeRozan is, not sure why it’s a surprise. He can look like a top 10 player for a stretch and then look like he doesn’t belong in the rotation in a blink of an eye. I’m not even sure he’s good as a second or third option on a good team because he can’t shoot to stretch the floor at all. I like him but he’s a very frustrating player to have on your team, now I understand what Toronto went through. I don’t understand how you cant develop a outside shot when you have that much talent, baffles me.

jermaine
01-15-2019, 11:30 AM
I told my wife this last night. I thought I was trippin... Its been covered up with wins TBH.

Arcadian
01-15-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm actually not too worried because he stays aggressive even when his shot is off. That's better than becoming timid and being useless on the court. At least he continues to apply pressure to the defense and try to set up teammates. He isn't going to be a 30% shooter for the rest of the season.

ceperez
01-15-2019, 11:42 AM
I don't think the reason is fatigue. It's something mental which has always been DeRozan's problem. He either forces things on offense and misses everything or he plays too passive and scores 14 points in 40 minutes. Both hurts the team

I agree, I think the high of the Raptors win has caused his current mental slump.

He's not injured, but I think he needs to play less minutes until he recovers from whatever it is.

He needs the same kind of vacation that Bertans took this year.

Bring Walker and Metu up from g-league to fill his minutes.

cd98
01-15-2019, 11:49 AM
DeRozan is a guy that has admitted to struggling with depression in the past. Maybe he's in a bout right now. But he's too good to simply not play. Let him get through this adversity. Some players just have bad stretches, but I believe Pop will coax him back to where he needs to be.

peacemaker885
01-15-2019, 11:57 AM
At least he's around.

8FOR!3
01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
He IS fatigued. Most of his jumpers are hitting the front of the rim. When he goes inside, he isn't getting many calls, leading to his frustration.

This. I’m sure at some point he’ll sit a game or two and take a few days off and he’ll be just fine. I think missing shots you normally make due to fatigue and then getting beat up and getting no calls going to the basket would be frustrating for most human beings trying to play basketball at a high level.

Hoops Czar
01-15-2019, 12:00 PM

You mean like Raptors fans and the Raptors FO? The guy was so coddled and babied in Toronto that it's no wonder he can barely function outside of his Toronto habitat. It's not the Spurs nature to attach themselves to player with tons of mental and emotional baggage and it's even rarer that the they would intentionally try to trade for one. I just hope that Demar doesn't end up bent over in some San Antonio hotel room, foaming from the mouth with cocaine, sex toys and baby oil by his bedside.

Now, it he gives half his 27.7M salary to charity, I'll be more sympathetic toward him.

BlackAndWhite
01-15-2019, 12:00 PM
I really do think its fatigue

TDomination
01-15-2019, 12:22 PM
There are plenty of moving parts here, including the absence of Rudy, but I think you put the finger on the current problem both for DeMar and the team. We had built up good chemistry, and now we are back at square one trying to integrate Pau.

So the question is, when Rudy comes back, does Pau become a bench warmer?

callo1
01-15-2019, 12:34 PM

This

r0drig0lac
01-15-2019, 12:48 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/MDoMYRhbldMZO/giphy.gif

sasaint
01-15-2019, 12:52 PM
So the question is, when Rudy comes back, does Pau become a bench warmer?

Would be good, but because Pop is Pop... nah. Pau will play and get paid too much.

Shrimp
01-15-2019, 12:54 PM
I think it is a combination of fatigue, and the emotional high/letdown of the Toronto game. Next month there's the game in Toronto, it may be an even bigger deal. But it will fade, thereafter, I think.

phxspurfan
01-15-2019, 01:04 PM
I don't understand how a vet NBA player can be fatigued at 29 years old in his prime (just after posting an MVP caliber season). I guess players aren't really taking care of their bodies the way they did in the past. Or they don't have access to LeBron's HGH guy.

Or is it that someone is telling him for the first time in his career that he has to play defense and try to distribute the ball

Hoops Czar
01-15-2019, 01:14 PM
I don't understand how a vet NBA player can be fatigued at 29 years old in his prime (just after posting an MVP caliber season). I guess players aren't really taking care of their bodies the way they did in the past. Or they don't have access to LeBron's HGH guy.

Or is it that someone is telling him for the first time in his career that he has to play defense and try to distribute the ball
But you do understand how excuses work, right?

monty4329
01-15-2019, 01:20 PM
I think it is a combination of fatigue, and the emotional high/letdown of the Toronto game. Next month there's the game in Toronto, it may be an even bigger deal. But it will fade, thereafter, I think.

27.7 millions a year for emotional high/letdown?

Arcadian
01-15-2019, 01:24 PM

This comment is totally inappropriate. People with mental health disorders still must learn to cope with stressors in their everyday lives, including negative stigma about mental health disorders. If you play basketball and you happen to have major depressive disorder, one of your challenges is going to be overcoming criticism from people who don't understand major depression. If you can't overcome that, you'll never overcome your depression.

Demar isn't going to read this thread anyway, so how could it possibly affect him?

FkLA
01-15-2019, 01:48 PM
It is frustrating but I actually do think there is hope for him. There was a point when LMA seemed pretty hopeless with his soft play, but I think its clicked for him how effective he can be if he plays like a bully. At some point, DeRozan also has to make a change and focus on playmaking bc he's actually really good at it (6 apg is solid af) and let the scoring come to him. There's been stretches when he's been really good about doing that but as of late (probably bc he's in a bad slump) he's been forcing a lot of stupid shit. He just has to fully buy in.

White is perfect at it, you look up and he has 18 points by the end of the night but basically nothing is forced. Almost always makes the smart/correct play.

r0drig0lac
01-15-2019, 01:58 PM
probably a mix of mental fatigue and not being so good at basketball? He showed several moments of "tunnel vision", his differential until then was that he managed to switch from "scorer" to "playmaker" smoothly, so his irregular performances (when it happened) did not hurt the team at that time, in this moment he is clearly trying to force something that is not there, simple as that.

spurraider21
01-15-2019, 01:59 PM
:lol hh37 doing work

TimmyBuckets
01-15-2019, 02:14 PM
He needs to drive!! Take it in with force. Focus frustrations on taking it in. The refs will have no choice but to do their jobs eventually. Don't whine around though. idc how retarded he is.

Keepin' it real
01-15-2019, 02:18 PM
He played well in the first few games of the season, didn't he? Averaging like 25/6/6 or something like that.

TimmyBuckets
01-15-2019, 02:20 PM
He played well in the first few games of the season, didn't he? Averaging like 25/6/6 or something like that.

He played phenomenal. He was closing out.

SpursDynasty85
01-15-2019, 02:23 PM
The guy is due for a slump. LMA had an even bigger one earlier this year and now that he is playing well, we easily forget. Slumps happens to most players. I don't think it is fatigue. He might be tired but I think it is a combination of slump, LMA playing better, Derrick White emergence, and injuries. Let's hope that everything is righted by allstar break.

marinoman
01-15-2019, 02:29 PM
:lol hh37 doing work
It’s sad and funny people are actually falling for his troll post

Hoops Czar
01-15-2019, 02:42 PM
He speaks as if he's talking from experience. I can't relate because I've never had depression but for someone who makes 27.7M/year, he should be able to afford the best psychiatrist/life coach money can buy. Depression is a life long affliction but you don't have to let it consume you. If he needs help, all he has to do is ask. No sympathy from me for somebody who doesn't help himself.

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Ain't he from Compton? How you from Compton and get depressed because you play professional basketball for 27 million per year? I don't have any understanding for that. It might just be something in his personal life, we don't know. I just hope he can get back to his normal self and we don't see DeFrozan in the playoffs, that'll be a recipe for disaster.

HankChinaski
01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
If this stretches out into late February then it can be a concern. Right now I just think overall the team is missing Rudy Gay's minutes. He really stablizes the team.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2019, 03:03 PM
The ignorance in the posts above is scary:lol

Money doesn't cure depression, there are plenty of rich people who commit suicide..the toughness instilled from where you grew up doesn't fix chemical imbalance, either:lol

I'm not referring to the way he's playing and his struggles as a player, but moreso arguing against those questioning why he's been "whining" more and "letting it get in his head"..

Collins21
01-15-2019, 03:18 PM

Money doesn't cure depression, there are plenty of rich people who commit suicide..the toughness instilled from where you grew up doesn't fix chemical imbalance, either:lol

I'm not referring to the way he's playing and his struggles as a player, but moreso arguing against those questioning why he's been "whining" more and "letting it get in his head"..

Not only do the morons on this site lack basketbll knowledge they actually lack common sense as well No matter how much money you make or what tough neighborhood you come from that can't offset a clinical chemical imbalance. Shit DeRozan is playing like garbage right now but people should leave at that.

koriwhat
01-15-2019, 03:36 PM

truth. pau is the problem no doubt. the whole team has suffered with his return.

Hoops Czar
01-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Not only do the morons on this site lack basketbll knowledge they actually lack common sense as well No matter how much money you make or what tough neighborhood you come from that can't offset a clinical chemical imbalance. Shit DeRozan is playing like garbage right now but people should leave at that.
But, there's HELP if he wants it. Only an idiot would feel sorry for someone who would rather be moody and depressed to gain people's sympathy rather than getting the professional help he needs. From a basketball standpoint though, he was never as good as his numbers indicated and his career postseason numbers are atrocious. Maybe uneducated spurs fans just didn't realize what they were getting until they got it.

Toronto fans were beyond estatic to see DeRozen traded even if it meant just one year of Kawhi and Danny Green.

Arcadian
01-15-2019, 04:01 PM
:lol And then he gives a serious reply below. Anything can pass for "trolling" when it involves flawed reasoning.

KDKSpurs24
01-15-2019, 04:09 PM

Duncan(DonPerro)
01-15-2019, 04:11 PM

ceperez: +10

Collins21
01-15-2019, 04:14 PM
But, there's HELP if he wants it. Only an idiot would feel sorry for someone who would rather be moody and depressed to gain people's sympathy rather than getting the professional help he needs. From a basketball standpoint though, he was never as good as his numbers indicated and his career postseason numbers are atrocious. Maybe uneducated spurs fans just didn't realize what they were getting until they got it.

Toronto fans were beyond estatic to see DeRozen traded even if it meant just one year of Kawhi and Danny Green.

My point is how do you know he hasn't seemed help? Many people go seek help but that's not an instant cure for their depression. I'm not defending his basketball play but when y'all start talking about dumb shit that involves the real world that is where the problem occurs.

Play Boban
01-15-2019, 04:22 PM
At least he's around.

Truth nuke. Even LACrybaby played. But not Kawhitter.....

gambit1990
01-15-2019, 04:52 PM
too bad the spurs didn’t go after getting luka in draft instead of acquiring demar.

SpurSpike
01-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Last year the Spurs had 1 player with 3 technical fouls (LMA) the rest had 1 or none for the entire season. DDR already has 5 technical fouls and the season is only half way done...

He needs to get a grip and learn to not rely on the refs for calls. They aren't always going to call things your way but when you get all mad and cuss at the ref, it only makes things worse for the team. Play smarter, not wreck less and angry!

Hoops Czar
01-15-2019, 05:53 PM
My point is how do you know he hasn't seemed help? Many people go seek help but that's not an instant cure for their depression. I'm not defending his basketball play but when y'all start talking about dumb shit that involves the real world that is where the problem occurs.
But how do you know people aren't using depression as a scapegoat for his shit play? The two don't always intertwine but it sure does give him an excuse when he plays poorly. And when he has a good game, that means he took his meds that day, right? Basketball is the real world and he has one of the worst contracts in professional sports

Hoops Czar
01-15-2019, 05:55 PM
too bad the spurs didn’t go after getting luka in draft instead of acquiring demar.
The only reason the Spurs got Demar was because Toronto was xesperately looking to salary dump him. The Spurs weren't getting the #3 pick in the draft for one year of Kawhi.

GusT15
01-15-2019, 06:00 PM

This is half the truth and i'll try to explain what i mean.
Ruining the team chemistry implies people don't want to play with you,they have a problem every time you step on the court.
This is not the case.Pau's return and even more importantly Gay's absence caused the game plan to malfunction.It's not a chemistry issue.It's as simple as the starting line up roles not functioning.

This year's Spurs are a unique team,an experiment if you'd like.
You have a starting line up with heavy iso players.DDR,iso drive,carve,get to the FT line,LMA iso post,left fade jumper,right side post drive,Rudy,iso post,fade jumper,drive,pull up 3.Forbes is the role player 3P shooter,White is the jack of all trades pleasant surprise at PG.The league tries to play Moreyball,Spurs do it their way.

During our amazing 15 game stretch when we were the best team in the league,we were healthy,and DDR,LMA and Gay were clicking,taking turns punishing opposing defenses.White is maturing into a great player in front of our eyes,Forbes was making his 3s.
So what changed? Gay is injured (probably rushed back for the Raps but that's another story).

DeRozan needs Gay out there.He needs Gay's length and covering space on defense.He needs the attention Gay commands from opposing teams on offense.He needs Gay mentally cause he is his best friend on the team!
Gay helps DDR save energy in defense.Gay helps DeRozan not get swarmed by 3 defenders on offense.Gay helps Demar not feel helpless when 2-3 shots go clank.

Pau unfortunately cannot help the system of our starting line up.That is causing our offensive rhythm to suffer.A suffering offense has Demar running circles in his mind trying to figure what is he doing wrong.Demar plays bad,Demar feels bad about playing bad,before you know it,Demar is depressed.

I'm not saying You take Pau out right now and we go 20-5 or anything.But i am saying that Spurs have many weaknesses as a team,so we need every single cog in the wheel to be well oiled and functional to cause trouble to other teams (playoff teams).
The whole slump is an endless loop.DeRozan is bad cause Spurs are playing bad.The Spurs are playing bad cause DeRozan is underperforming.
It's a both mental and tactical issue.
(And sorry for the long post)

Down Under
01-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Probably a fair bit to do with fatigue. Carried the team while LMA was playing terrible in November & played well in December.

weebo
01-15-2019, 07:38 PM
It's an 82 game season...guys are going to go in and out of slumps...it happens to the best of them...he'll be fine

resistanze
01-15-2019, 07:40 PM
This is literally the DeRozan every year of his career. He was getting shat on here for this very reason for his career in Toronto.

Leetonidas
01-15-2019, 07:41 PM
This is half the truth and i'll try to explain what i mean.
Ruining the team chemistry implies people don't want to play with you,they have a problem every time you step on the court.
This is not the case.Pau's return and even more importantly Gay's absence caused the game plan to malfunction.It's not a chemistry issue.It's as simple as the starting line up roles not functioning.

This year's Spurs are a unique team,an experiment if you'd like.
You have a starting line up with heavy iso players.DDR,iso drive,carve,get to the FT line,LMA iso post,left fade jumper,right side post drive,Rudy,iso post,fade jumper,drive,pull up 3.Forbes is the role player 3P shooter,White is the jack of all trades pleasant surprise at PG.The league tries to play Moreyball,Spurs do it their way.

During our amazing 15 game stretch when we were the best team in the league,we were healthy,and DDR,LMA and Gay were clicking,taking turns punishing opposing defenses.White is maturing into a great player in front of our eyes,Forbes was making his 3s.
So what changed? Gay is injured (probably rushed back for the Raps but that's another story).

DeRozan needs Gay out there.He needs Gay's length and covering space on defense.He needs the attention Gay commands from opposing teams on offense.He needs Gay mentally cause he is his best friend on the team!
Gay helps DDR save energy in defense.Gay helps DeRozan not get swarmed by 3 defenders on offense.Gay helps Demar not feel helpless when 2-3 shots go clank.

Pau unfortunately cannot help the system of our starting line up.That is causing our offensive rhythm to suffer.A suffering offense has Demar running circles in his mind trying to figure what is he doing wrong.Demar plays bad,Demar feels bad about playing bad,before you know it,Demar is depressed.

I'm not saying You take Pau out right now and we go 20-5 or anything.But i am saying that Spurs have many weaknesses as a team,so we need every single cog in the wheel to be well oiled and functional to cause trouble to other teams (playoff teams).
The whole slump is an endless loop.DeRozan is bad cause Spurs are playing bad.The Spurs are playing bad cause DeRozan is underperforming.
It's a both mental and tactical issue.
(And sorry for the long post)

:tu

DD is playing like ass since he blew his load in the Raps game but I think he'll shake it off here soon. I agree he may be a little fatigued from the earlier season where he was playing 40 minutes every night and carrying the entire team. If he still sucks like this in a month it's time to panic tbh. And the depression thing is dumb and overplayed imo

OldMan88
01-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Yes, but he’s no different than any other highly compensated employee. He must get treatment, if that’s the problem, but if it’s just a slump, he needs to get past it and do what he’s been hired to do. Perform or the organization must trade him.

Rusty
01-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Why are people surprised by this? He’s always been mentally weak. Always chokes in the playoffs and had to be benched in game 3 against the cavs because he couldn’t make shots or play defense

YGWHI
01-15-2019, 08:52 PM
DeRozan was really good early in the season. He had a few bad last games and suddenly he's a scrub? As fanbase we should be a bit more supportive...

Until last week you could read posts like "Spurs WON the trade". Funny, right?

rasuo214
01-15-2019, 09:43 PM
I guess it makes sense why the Raptors were willing to trade him for half a season of PG and taking the risk on Kawhi. My concern is his lack of 3pt shooting and how he'll mesh with Murray. You can't have both of your starting guards be poor 3pt shooters. So a move might need to be made in the off-season.

skin27
01-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Where is the mirronick aka number 1 derozan homer her in st?

defend your guy men:lol

SouthTexasRancher
01-15-2019, 10:30 PM
ceperez is right. Pau has screwed the team chemistry. With Rudy and LMA playing together DeMar was playing great. Now that the Pau lover, Pop, has inserted the $16 million dollar man into the SL we can't beat The Little Sisters of Charity. Hopefully Rudy will be back soon and we can get the chemistry back. Gasol should be the 10th or 11th man off the bench. He is just hanging on collecting money from the Spurs. As for DeMar, he seems kind of disinterested but, I doubt that is it. I really do think Pau is the problem. He doesn't contribute anything in the first place. Jacob Poeltl and Davis Bertans should be the first big men off the bench. JMHO

Capt Bringdown
01-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Surprised how slow he is.

GreekSpursfan
01-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Derozan's stamina is not what it needs to be, add the mental issues and we're screwed.

weeks
01-15-2019, 11:53 PM
DeRozan was really good early in the season. He had a few bad last games and suddenly he's a scrub? As fanbase we should be a bit more supportive...

Until last week you could read posts like "Spurs WON the trade". Funny, right?
When Kawhi leaves Tor we'll know how the trade went

SequSpur
01-16-2019, 12:20 AM
DeRozan sucks fucking balls.. Pop should have been fired for that fucking trade. I called it from day one. Fo

Fusternino
01-16-2019, 12:52 AM
As someone who struggles with mental illness the way I see it is that "it is not my fault I suffer from mental illness, but it is my responsibility as an adult to deal with it." That said, therapy and medications often take time to work and it really is a lifetime condition.

That said, having Gay missing is really causing issues. In terms of re-integrating Gasol I think it is necessary and maybe they should go with Bertans-LMA starting and Gasol-Poeltl coming off the bench. I think you really want to avoid playing LMA more than 32 minutes a game.

gospursgojas
01-16-2019, 01:02 AM
It's an 82 game season...guys are going to go in and out of slumps...it happens to the best of them...he'll be fine

This. People are so dramatic “same ol derozen” “he’s depressed”. It’s a slump, happens to everyone.

Degoat
01-16-2019, 01:02 AM
While I agree demar has been shitting the bed lately, would you guys rather have Brandon Ingram, lonzo ball? Every lakers game I’ve watched they have sucked... spurs were dealt a tough hand, it was shocking we got an all star in exchange for Kawhi who forced his way out of SA. DeMar maybe mentally weak but when he plays well we’re a good team. With him and Lamarcus and are young players really developing their game im encouraged.

hombre
01-16-2019, 01:27 AM
This ain't about DeRozen, this is about Gay being out.

Rusty
01-16-2019, 01:39 AM
2014 - Lost in the 1st round to the Nets and had home court advantage
2015 - Swept by the Wizards in the 1st round, had home court advantage
2016 - struggled against lower seed teams only to get BTFO by LeGod
2017 - Get swept by LeGod LMAO
2018 - 1st seed 59 wins! Struggled against 8th seed Wizards. Got Swept by LeGOAT who doesn’t even have Kyrie Irving anymore. Got Swept by the 4th seed Cavs. Are you kidding me?:lol

And you’re wondering why Demar is playin like crap? Playoffs haven’t even started yet

sananspursfan21
01-16-2019, 08:30 AM
I hate to say it, but RJ comes to mind. Even with his struggles, Derozan has value on this team. It’s just that expectations are above what we're seeing on the court. His current play is that of a good role player if we’re being honest, not the first or even second option offensively

DJR210
01-16-2019, 09:56 AM

:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Even in a slump, DeRozan attracts a lot of attention which frees up our 3-point shooters. He's a valuable piece even when his shot is off a bit. Problems occur when he's off, takes his foot off the gas, and our shooters are also cold. Then the wheels come off and our offense looks ugly. Even LMA bullying the league's tiny post players can't make up for that on most nights. On those occasions LaMarcus has to be channeling the spirit of Wilt in order for us to win.

I'll predict that when Rudy returns we'll see DeMar's game return.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2019, 11:12 AM
While I agree demar has been shitting the bed lately, would you guys rather have Brandon Ingram, lonzo ball? Every lakers game I’ve watched they have sucked... spurs were dealt a tough hand, it was shocking we got an all star in exchange for Kawhi who forced his way out of SA. DeMar maybe mentally weak but when he plays well we’re a good team. With him and Lamarcus and are young players really developing their game im encouraged.

I'd rather have Tobias Harris and two draft picks from the Clippers

Spurs Homer
01-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Non issue - long season - DDR will be money in the playoffs. Book it.

cd021
01-16-2019, 11:59 AM
I'd rather have Tobias Harris and two draft picks from the Clippers

Pretty sure it was always only one of the two pics and PATFO still wanted more than that at that point.

They screwed up the Toronto trade by not forcing Ujuri not to take back Gasol and keeping Green.

cd021
01-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Even in a slump, DeRozan attracts a lot of attention which frees up our 3-point shooters. He's a valuable piece even when his shot is off a bit. Problems occur when he's off, takes his foot off the gas, and our shooters are also cold. Then the wheels come off and our offense looks ugly. Even LMA bullying the league's tiny post players can't make up for that on most nights. On those occasions LaMarcus has to be channeling the spirit of Wilt in order for us to win.

I'll predict that when Rudy returns we'll see DeMarcus's game return.

His decision making has been pretty bad tbh over the last 4 games he has 24 assists and 18 turnovers.

Gay helps take some of the scoring load off of him and also possibly the other teams better perimeter defender because Gay is so large as a perimeter player but I do wander if DeRozan isn't comfortable playing with Lmalpha now that he has fully reemerged and also White taking on more play making responsibility.

monty4329
01-16-2019, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE =but I do wander if DeRozan isn't comfortable playing with Lmalpha now that he has fully reemerged and also White taking on more play making responsibility.[/QUOTE]

That is the thing, I believe.

duncan2k5
01-16-2019, 03:29 PM
When Kawhi leaves Tor we'll know how the trade went

Raps fans don't care... Look at their forum... They are DONE with DDR... they rather one year of a real shot with Kawhi than perennial disappointment

duncan2k5
01-16-2019, 03:33 PM
I'm shocked at how many ppl are ok with DDR seemingly only playing well when Rudy gay is playing.... Any other "all star" of any team that performed like that we would FLAME them... Imagine if ginobili was trash everytime Parker wasn't playing... Or vice versa... And both of them are BETTER than Gay... You aren't a real all star if good play is dependent on one person who isn't an all star being in the game... All stars can stand on their own and be good

Collins21
01-16-2019, 04:14 PM
I'm shocked at how many ppl are ok with DDR seemingly only playing well when Rudy gay is playing.... Any other "all star" of any team that performed like that we would FLAME them... Imagine if ginobili was trash everytime Parker wasn't playing... Or vice versa... And both of them are BETTER than Gay... You aren't a real all star if good play is dependent on one person who isn't an all star being in the game... All stars can stand on their own and be good

Yeah but you're ok with a dude only playing when his uncle allows him to. What a fag man lol.

GoodBetterBest
01-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Agreed! Who knows what this man is actually going through. Seems like he has not been the same since the Toronto game where fans were just chanting MVP in spite of you know who. Hopefully he can fight through it and get to where he was earlier in the season now that LA is finding his stride.

GreekSpursfan
01-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Agreed! Who knows what this man is actually going through. Seems like he has not been the same since the Toronto game where fans were just chanting MVP in spite of you know who. Hopefully he can fight through it and get to where he was earlier in the season now that LA is finding his stride.

If there is no family issue then i completely disagree. He's getting paid way more than an average bball player and if he sucks he should be called out for it.

mkurts
01-16-2019, 09:24 PM
DeFrozen has issues, sure he needs to work this out off the court, but if this is affecting his play, he needs to be professional about it and take time off instead of letting down the team with abysmal play.

duncan2k5
01-16-2019, 10:36 PM
wow...some of u seem to just be knowing DDR...this is who he is as a player...who did u guys think u were getting??

hater
01-16-2019, 10:51 PM
:lmao OP and other retards in here :lol

marinoman
01-16-2019, 10:52 PM
Good play in the last minute
But another 40 minutes played... yea he’s gonna die in the playoffs

SpursDynasty85
01-16-2019, 10:53 PM
DeRozan had a good game imo. He missed some shots but he took the right ones and he is playing unselfishly. His defense and rebounding has been pretty good too.

skin27
01-16-2019, 10:59 PM
Good play in the last minute
But another 40 minutes played... yea he’s gonna die in the playoffs

played 40minutes only to score 14pts? He needs to score more

TimmyBuckets
01-17-2019, 03:03 AM
rest him next game

weeks
01-17-2019, 03:31 AM
Raps fans don't care...
right..raps fans dont care if kawhi leaves :lol

jermaine
01-17-2019, 07:17 AM
He stepped up last night when it mattered.

monty4329
01-17-2019, 09:44 AM

I don't think he stepped up at all: 6-13 from 2, 2 TO, 4 rebounds (his 9 assist were lateral passes for jump shots and a lucky bounce in the lane). Sure, he got two good baskets when nobody was guarding him from 20 feet, important shots no doubt: but I would call them almost automatic for a standard NBA guard.

I wish he will take the good from this game (there was some) and bring it to the next one. But honestly, he played like crap 90% of his time on the floor.

Hoops Czar
01-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Pretty remarkable that the Spurs are 25-19 when their two star players kind of look like this...

on/off numbers 2018-19

LMA -9.4
DDR -11.6

Others....

Bryn Forbes -7.7
Pau Gasol -5.8
M. Belinelli +2.7
Derrick White +3.2
Davis Bertans +12.1
Rudy Gay +0.4
Jacob Poeltl +8.5
Paddy Mills +8.7

itzsoweezee
01-17-2019, 12:46 PM

He only stepped up because pop have him the ball. He moved White off- ball and let every possession run through DeMar. Pop had got to figure out what to do, because DeMar clearly doesn't even want to participate when White is running point.

This dude is such a diva

RC_Drunkford
01-17-2019, 12:46 PM
His playmaking was on point. Could've been more aggressive but he came through in the 4th quarter

Hoops Czar
01-17-2019, 12:51 PM
He only stepped up because pop have him the ball. He moved White off- ball and let every possession run through DeMar. Pop had got to figure out what to do, because DeMar clearly doesn't even want to participate when White is running point.

This dude is such a diva

Miss Kawhi yet?

SpursDynasty85
01-17-2019, 12:57 PM

This dude is such a diva

That's BS. Derrick White as the ball handler is relatively new. Of course chemistry will be affected. Also, Demar will not be the same off the ball. It's just something we have to deal with. He his stepping up his defense and rebounding. He has shown some frustration maybe but he has never quit on his team and does not seem to be taking a jealousy or dive standpoint at all. All assumptions at this point.

itzsoweezee
01-17-2019, 02:10 PM
That's BS. Derrick White as the ball handler is relatively new. Of course chemistry will be affected. Also, Demar will not be the same off the ball. It's just something we have to deal with. He his stepping up his defense and rebounding. He has shown some frustration maybe but he has never quit on his team and does not seem to be taking a jealousy or dive standpoint at all. All assumptions at this point.

I suggest watching the games. Count the number of times he took any drives towards the basket after the Toronto game, or even the number of free throws he's taken. He's playing passive, without any heart. The dude is a diva

SpursDynasty85
01-17-2019, 03:47 PM
I suggest watching the games. Count the number of times he took any drives towards the basket after the Toronto game, or even the number of free throws he's taken. He's playing passive, without any heart. The dude is a diva

Lol. I've watched nearly every game this season including since the Toronto game. Demar is stuck in a system that awards spot up 3 pt shooters. Needs to make room for the Derrick White pic and roll and Aldirdge post up. He has cut to the basket plenty. Has it been very successful? No, but it has in spurts and that will come when more chemistry is built with White as the ball handler and vice versa.

Derozan will come out of his shooting slump very soon. His points going down might be a good thing for everyone as long as they are winning.

duncan2k5
01-20-2019, 06:39 AM
right..raps fans dont care if kawhi leaves :lol

They literally say they want him to stay, but are glad to even have him for one season instead of DDR

duncan2k5
01-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Lol. I've watched nearly every game this season including since the Toronto game. Demar is stuck in a system that awards spot up 3 pt shooters. Needs to make room for the Derrick White pic and roll and Aldirdge post up. He has cut to the basket plenty. Has it been very successful? No, but it has in spurts and that will come when more chemistry is built with White as the ball handler and vice versa.

Derozan will come out of his shooting slump very soon. His points going down might be a good thing for everyone as long as they are winning.

Lmao! Ppl say this every year

SpursDynasty85
01-20-2019, 07:52 AM
Lmao! Ppl say this every year

Ok. So your a bonafide hater. Love Kawhi more than the Spurs. Go be a Raptors fan. Not sure why you hang around the board so much just to trash your own team and defend a guy didn't want to be on the Spurs.

cpds421
01-20-2019, 11:07 AM
This 100%

Ok. So your a bonafide hater. Love Kawhi more than the Spurs. Go be a Raptors fan. Not sure why you hang around the board so much just to trash your own team and defend a guy didn't want to be on the Spurs.

Play Boban
01-20-2019, 11:48 PM
:wakeup

mkurts
01-21-2019, 02:17 AM
He needs to come out of this slump soon or Spurs miss the playoffs

dontouchmebwo
01-21-2019, 02:44 AM
This is who he is, it's why the Raptors traded him, he's like a used car you buy and after some mileage on it the engine starts fucking up and you're just like well shit, that's why he sold it.

monty4329
01-21-2019, 04:37 AM
I should change the thread title to "has become" a problem.

His shitty attitude is affecting the whole team, he is taking shots that make no sense, most of the time on offense he is in the wrong spot as if he forgot the set or doesn't care.

Physical or mental, whatever it is, he must take more time off and get a grip of his situation. Right now he has no place on the team.

Figa
01-21-2019, 07:06 AM
Derozan at his worst is a high minutes, high usage, no defense, chucker. The worst species of player. He's been ranked betweeen 100 and 200 in RPM for years. The Spurs' intelligencija was surely aware of the situation but a big name had to be replaced accordingly regardless of the content it seems.

duncan2k5
01-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Literally everyone on here is thrashing him... Yet you single me out... So ur issue isn't what I'm saying... Your issue is ME

WallyTiger
01-21-2019, 09:03 AM
I should change the thread title to "has become" a problem.

A Big Depression Problem.

FrankC
01-21-2019, 09:18 AM
You guys think Demar is depressed now? Wait til he misses the All Star Game (which is his real goal in any season and not the playoffs). He often takes his foot off the pedal in January when it looks like he'll make the game but I'm guessing that NOT being a shoe in or maybe not making it at all is what is messing with his head the most. The good news is that he tends to use these sort of snubs as motivation (think SI rankings), so after a rest during the ASG that he has to watch as a fan, you can count on a run of good games and helping the Spurs sneak into the playoffs. He'll give the fanbase some hope prior to breaking your hearts once the playoffs actually start and he turns into a shell of himself and being nearly unplayable in 80% of the games.

You can only take that so many times in a row before you say NO MORE, which is what the Raptors did. Demar was being shopped for the whole prior season with no real talent being offered back that could be sold to the fanbase as worthy of replacing the face of the franchise. Kawhi and the Spurs were a godsend scenario for a GM ttrying to ditch Derozan before he wasted another season for the Raptors and damaged his rep even further.

Sorry, not sorry. So happy to be rid of that guy.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2019, 09:24 AM
As Pop has said many times, basketball isn't that important, it's only a game..

Hopefully DeRozan finds peace within himself and gets over this, even if the Spurs miss the playoffs..

Genovaswitness
01-21-2019, 09:26 AM
You guys think Demar is depressed now? Wait til he misses the All Star Game (which is his real goal in any season and not the playoffs). He often takes his foot off the pedal in January when it looks like he'll make the game but I'm guessing that NOT being a shoe in or maybe not making it at all is what is messing with his head the most. The good news is that he tends to use these sort of snubs as motivation (think SI rankings), so after a rest during the ASG that he has to watch as a fan, you can count on a run of good games and helping the Spurs sneak into the playoffs. He'll give the fanbase some hope prior to breaking your hearts once the playoffs actually start and he turns into a shell of himself and being nearly unplayable in 80% of the games.

You can only take that so many times in a row before you say NO MORE, which is what the Raptors did. Demar was being shopped for the whole prior season with no real talent being offered back that could be sold to the fanbase as worthy of replacing the face of the franchise. Kawhi and the Spurs were a godsend scenario for a GM ttrying to ditch Derozan before he wasted another season for the Raptors and damaged his rep even further.

Sorry, not sorry. So happy to be rid of that guy.

seconded. demar's depression is getting really fucking annoying

monty4329
01-21-2019, 09:46 AM

26 million times annoying

Hoops Czar
01-21-2019, 09:57 AM
What's really annoying is people blaming his depression for his poor play.

SpursDynasty85
01-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Literally everyone on here is thrashing him... Yet you single me out... So ur issue isn't what I'm saying... Your issue is ME

Actually everyone is trashing you. Half the people are trashing DDr because he is in a slump. It's called being fickle. Something you and others should try not to be.

monty4329
01-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Well, he has a history of depression bouts. Which is nothing to take lightly or have fun of.

But it might arguably be the reason of his shitty play.
If that is the case: he must take time off and get treatment.
If it isn't the reason: he must take time off and find some kind of NBA-level game.

Regardless, he must be off the floor.
Hopefully it is not late, and again hopefully this is not getting under the skin of the teammates. There were several instances of clear frustration from the other players both on the floor and on the bench. And that is only what I could see on the TV screen...

Genovaswitness
01-21-2019, 10:18 AM

how can you not? dude's always crying about something

FrankC
01-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Well, he has a history of depression bouts. Which is nothing to take lightly or have fun of.

If it isn't the reason: he must take time off and find some kind of NBA-level game.

Hopefully it is not late, and again hopefully this is not getting under the skin of the teammates. There were several instances of clear frustration from the other players both on the floor and on the bench. And that is only what I could see on the TV screen...

Actually, he really doesn't. There is no documented history of this at all. The only evidence that he has had any depression issues is the one-line social media post he made saying "This depression got the best of me". He got all kinds of positive support for that, so he later offered more info saying that he has his ups and downs and no matter how strong a pro athlete seems they have their days too.

That's it.

So yes, Demar has admitted he has better days and worse days, but that's not a diagnosis of clinical depression or something. He's a little bit fragile mentally for someone who's supposed to be a star athlete, so he probably struggles with that, but prior to that little message all everyone heard about Demar was how hard he worked how much of a gym rat he was, how motovated he was to get better every year, etc... and these aren't things that happen when someone struggles to gwt out of bed or can't cope with people or other signs of true depression. He was having troubles with his girl and was feeling emotional about it. Everyone gets depressed over things at times, but that is NOT the same as having a history of depression in the sense of the debilitating sort of depression that people get on meds for. It's not the same as being chemically imbalanced.

It's the pressure of being a highly paid professional athlete and being judged on results. Some people can handle it some people can't. If that makes them sad or makes them question themselves, that is NOT the same as true depression. It's no different than the temporary, normal emotions that no adult human escapes from when things aren't going their way, when they have job or relationship troubles, etc...

It has become a convenient excuse for his fans who aren't willing or able to accept that he's simply not as good as they think he is and to cover up his fragile ego.

Hoops Czar
01-21-2019, 11:15 AM
how can you not? dude's always crying about something
His whole career, not since he joined the Spurs. He at least put up respectable stat padding numbers in Toronto during the regular season and it got him a nice max contract for his efforts. However, he was never that good and when Toronto actually needed him to produce, he was nowhere to be found.

He must have been living in his own little pretend world if he thought fans actually wanted him there. Don't confuse whining and attention whoring with depression. If he was truly depressed, he'd be moping around, disinterested on both ends of the court, not jacking up 16 uneventful shots in an attempt to heroball the team to victory.

If you want to see what depression looks like, check out Lamar Odom's #'s after he left the Lakers, DeRozan is still right around his career norms on the season which is kind of scary and it should give you an indication that he just isn't that important to a team's success as some would like to suggest. Toronto doesn't miss a beat when Leonard sits and without DeRozan and neither do the Spurs.

DeRozan's career on-off #'s...

2009-10 -7.1
2010-11 -3.3
2011-12 +3.3
2012-13 -1.9
2013-14 -0.3
2014-15 -0.9
2015-16 -6.1
2016-17 -4.7
2017-18 -2.7
2018-19 -11.5

kaji157
01-21-2019, 11:28 AM
DeMar has shown what he can do, Aldridge has found a way to improve in almost all aspects of his game here. We'll see if DeMar is up to the challenge.
The Spurs are not in need to ring now, they are not fully healthy, and not one important members of the team is not secured long term.
We can afford this situation with DeMar if it makes him and the team stronger on the long run.
Toronto on the other hand may be facing their last year as a relevant team.

Hoops Czar
01-21-2019, 11:34 AM
DeMar has shown what he can do, Aldridge has found a way to improve in almost all aspects of his game here. We'll see if DeMar is up to the challenge.
The Spurs are not in need to ring now, they are not fully healthy, and not one important members of the team is not secured long term.
We can afford this situation with DeMar if it makes him and the team stronger on the long run.

:lmao

bic50
01-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Doubt it

Genovaswitness
01-21-2019, 11:51 AM
His whole career, not since he joined the Spurs. He at least put up respectable stat padding numbers in Toronto during the regular season and it got him a nice max contract for his efforts. However, he was never that good and when Toronto actually needed him to produce, he was nowhere to be found.

He must have been living in his own little pretend world if he thought fans actually wanted him there. Don't confuse whining and attention whoring with depression. If he was truly depressed, he'd be moping around, disinterested on both ends of the court, not jacking up 16 uneventful shots in an attempt to heroball the team to victory.

If you want to see what depression looks like, check out Lamar Odom's #'s after he left the Lakers, DeRozan is still right around his career norms on the season which is kind of scary and it should give you an indication that he just isn't that important to a team's success as some would like to suggest. Toronto doesn't miss a beat when Leonard sits and without DeRozan and neither do the Spurs.

2009-10 -7.1
2010-11 -3.3
2011-12 +3.3
2012-13 -1.9
2013-14 -0.3
2014-15 -0.9
2015-16 -6.1
2016-17 -4.7
2017-18 -2.7
2018-19 -11.5

I agree with everything you're saying. My point is that his depression/bitch ass ness is a central element of his character and isn't something that flares up and causes him to occasionally play poorly. our ceiling isn't that high with derozan tbh. we need young wings

duncan2k5
01-21-2019, 11:58 AM
A Big Depression Problem.

Especially now that he wont be an all star

monty4329
01-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Actually, he really doesn't. There is no documented history of this at all. The only evidence that he has had any depression issues is the one-line social media post he made saying "This depression got the best of me". He got all kinds of positive support for that, so he later offered more info saying that he has his ups and downs and no matter how strong a pro athlete seems they have their days too.

That's it.

So yes, Demar has admitted he has better days and worse days, but that's not a diagnosis of clinical depression or something. He's a little bit fragile mentally for someone who's supposed to be a star athlete, so he probably struggles with that, but prior to that little message all everyone heard about Demar was how hard he worked how much of a gym rat he was, how motovated he was to get better every year, etc... and these aren't things that happen when someone struggles to gwt out of bed or can't cope with people or other signs of true depression. He was having troubles with his girl and was feeling emotional about it. Everyone gets depressed over things at times, but that is NOT the same as having a history of depression in the sense of the debilitating sort of depression that people get on meds for. It's not the same as being chemically imbalanced.

It's the pressure of being a highly paid professional athlete and being judged on results. Some people can handle it some people can't. If that makes them sad or makes them question themselves, that is NOT the same as true depression. It's no different than the temporary, normal emotions that no adult human escapes from when things aren't going their way, when they have job or relationship troubles, etc...

It has become a convenient excuse for his fans who aren't willing or able to accept that he's simply not as good as they think he is and to cover up his fragile ego.

He said it himself, that he had several instances and he was happy he found the courage to seek help.

But I guess you must know more than him about his health.

duncan2k5
01-21-2019, 12:02 PM

He needs to stay off the raptors forum if he doesnt wanna be depressed...they dont keep it a secret how much they do not miss this guy

duncan2k5
01-21-2019, 12:05 PM

2009-10 -7.1
2010-11 -3.3
2011-12 +3.3
2012-13 -1.9
2013-14 -0.3
2014-15 -0.9
2015-16 -6.1
2016-17 -4.7
2017-18 -2.7
2018-19 -11.5

Damn! Those on/offs are telling!

TimmyBuckets
01-21-2019, 12:21 PM
DePression is probably depressed 24/7, but he looks slower and more apprehensive on the court. It might be some nagging injuries. Rest his ass for a few games. When Spurs win without him, and he's more healthy, he'll be back with a vengeance. We know he can play. I'm gonna say injuries and give him benefit of the doubt. Still gonna clown on him though.

duncan2k5
01-21-2019, 12:33 PM
DePression is probably depressed 24/7, but he looks slower and more apprehensive on the court. It might be some nagging injuries. Rest his ass for a few games. When Spurs win without him, and he's more healthy, he'll be back with a vengeance. We know he can play. I'm gonna say injuries and give him benefit of the doubt. Still gonna clown on him though.

If u keep telling urself he has a mystery injury and will bounce back, he will disappoint u like he did raps fans...trade...we cant win a ring with him nor lma

TimmyBuckets
01-21-2019, 12:55 PM
If u keep telling urself he has a mystery injury and will bounce back, he will disappoint u like he did raps fans...trade...we cant win a ring with him nor lma

He's proven he can play, and looks to be in a slump. Pop also said he's dealing with nagging injuries. We already did a trade, and got DDR and Jakob. What exactly do you suggest Spurs do with LMA and DDR? Trade for what? There's nothing we can get that will get us a ring now. Trade for youngsters and hope we ring in 5 years? We already have a young core of DJ, White, and Lonnie. This is who we're rocking with. LMA is a beast, and has been all last year, and this year since December. I'm not a huge believer in DePression either, but he's what we have now. Unless you can give me a top 5 superstar for both LMA and DDR, then there's no trade that can be done.

Dverde
01-21-2019, 12:57 PM
The problem is when players don’t know they are playing badly. DDR appears to know he’s playing like hot garbage. Pop and the team are probably telling to stay aggressive. Just a slump during the long season.

therealtruth
01-21-2019, 01:47 PM
It's weird that former allstars like RJ/Finley/Dice look worse on the Spurs but Spurs role players tend to look worse when they leave.

Chinook
01-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Dice was just fine for the Spurs. Dude was just old and injured.

Leetonidas
01-21-2019, 02:50 PM
It's weird that former allstars like RJ/Finley/Dice look worse on the Spurs but Spurs role players tend to look worse when they leave.

Uh Finley played fine while he was here. He and Dice. They were just old when they came to SA. RJ was a different story. He was traded for during an eta where most "analytics" were just Hollingers PER and people just looked at his PPG in Milwaukee and assumed he was an AS caliber player. He was only made relevant again as a journeyman playing spot minutes of the bench with Lebron James, arguably the greatest elevator of role payer talent in NBA history.

Derozan has looked fine with SA. He has looked better in some ways than in Toronto. He is definitely ina slump the last 10 games or so. But I'm sure he will shake it off. 21/6/6 are not garbage numbers

spurraider21
01-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Dice was just fine for the Spurs. Dude was just old and injured.
Dice's game winning tip-in against the lakers was enough to validate his spurs tenure

Dex
01-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Dice's game winning tip-in against the lakers was enough to validate his spurs tenure

Ah yes, back when games against the Lakers actually meant something.

Chinook
01-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Or that block on Jason Terry in the playoffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9juNO82_Rc

Truth be told, McDyess was the first role-player I ever got attached to. Really wish that dude had gotten a ring before he retired.

Proxy
01-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Dice was one of the good ones

Chris
01-21-2019, 05:13 PM
As Pop has said many times, basketball isn't that important, it's only a game..

Hopefully DeRozan finds peace within himself and gets over this, even if the Spurs miss the playoffs..

Ah, the passive aggressive troll post.

rasuo214
01-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Maybe the Spurs should consider trading for Lowry.

Mirrornick
01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Not worried. He will break out of the slump soon enough. Some of yall are quick to turn your backs on him smh

FrankC
01-21-2019, 06:04 PM
No All Star game will give him some #ProveEm motivation for a while, just in time to make 8th seed in the playoffs, and then post a PER of 12 in the playoffs with a TS% somewhere in the 40s... leading to yet another playoff sweep. Good times.

BillMc
01-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Not worried. He will break out of the slump soon enough. Some of yall are quick to turn your backs on him smh

This. Players go in and out of slumps. Plus the guy might be injured. No kneed for the pschoanalysis

Patience grasshoppers.

bic50
01-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Raptors gave him give 9 years before they turned on him

duncan2k5
01-22-2019, 09:35 AM
He's proven he can play, and looks to be in a slump. Pop also said he's dealing with nagging injuries. We already did a trade, and got DDR and Jakob. What exactly do you suggest Spurs do with LMA and DDR? Trade for what? There's nothing we can get that will get us a ring now. Trade for youngsters and hope we ring in 5 years? We already have a young core of DJ, White, and Lonnie. This is who we're rocking with. LMA is a beast, and has been all last year, and this year since December. I'm not a huge believer in DePression either, but he's what we have now. Unless you can give me a top 5 superstar for both LMA and DDR, then there's no trade that can be done.

What's wrong with trading them for young talent? The warriors are a dynasty because they got young talent that grew into what they are now... Trade them for talent with potential to fit into today's NBA style... Neither LMA not DDR have the talent or heart to win a championship as a first or second option... So why keep them? To be nice??

duncan2k5
01-22-2019, 09:36 AM

That's what raptor fans kept saying, and he let them down every year... This is who he is

duncan2k5
01-22-2019, 09:36 AM
No All Star game will give him some #ProveEm motivation for a while, just in time to make 8th seed in the playoffs, and then post a PER of 12 in the playoffs with a TS% somewhere in the 40s... leading to yet another playoff sweep. Good times.

This guy knows his history

Collins21
01-22-2019, 09:46 AM
What's wrong with trading them for young talent? The warriors are a dynasty because they got young talent that grew into what they are now... Trade them for talent with potential to fit into today's NBA style... Neither LMA not DDR have the talent or heart to win a championship as a first or second option... So why keep them? To be nice??

You like Kawhi but he hasn't won a championship as a first or second option.

r0drig0lac
01-22-2019, 09:50 AM

- iggy was already playing for the Warriors while still in Denver in his playoff series.
- Jerry West stopping the Love / Klay Trade
- injuries of his opponents in various playoff series
- blatant illegal screens like no other team in basketball history was allowed to perform,empowering two of the best shooters to play the game.

with all this this dynasty would have an excellent record of 1W 1L.....
until Durant proved to be the weakest star in professional sports history and broke the league for three seasons (so far)

Coach X
01-22-2019, 11:06 AM
TBH I'm ZERO worried about DeRozan. He will be fine during the RS.

The Playoffs are his challenge.

TimmyBuckets
01-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Because young talent doesnt guarentee a ring or even being competitive. Look at the Suns, the Kings (who barely found someone after years and will still take them years to be competitive), Hawks, and other teams that thought tanking was the answer and arent even on Spurs' level. Also, would you get LMA/DDR? Nothing worthy. You keep mentioning that Spurs are catering to players' feelings and have no grand strategy. What a ludicrous notion. This is an organization that has been finding nobodies in drafts, building stars (including Kawhi for thr most part), and the standard for the NBA., and to say that they are just trying to hold hands in a circle makes zero sense. The fact is the Spurs strategy was broken up when Kawhi left, and this was their best chance to be competitive now and also ready for the future (DJ, White, Lonnie, Jakob, TOR pick).

Mirrornick
01-22-2019, 01:23 PM
That's what raptor fans kept saying, and he let them down every year... This is who he is

Raptors fans were saying what? That he didn't lead them to the finals? You are delusional if you believe that demar will carry this team to a championship all by himself.

Lower your expectations there buddy . Even LeBron James couldn't win a title without two stars in Miami and two stars in Cleveland. Demar does not even have enough help to upset the top western conference teams.

Demar is a good player. An all star. But he is not a #1 option. And you cant fault him for that.

duncan2k5
01-22-2019, 08:18 PM
You like Kawhi but he hasn't won a championship as a first or second option.

But he imposed himself as one... The fact that he wasn't designated as one makes it even more impressive

duncan2k5
01-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Raptors fans were saying what? That he didn't lead them to the finals? You are delusional if you believe that demar will carry this team to a championship all by himself.

Lower your expectations there buddy . Even LeBron James couldn't win a title without two stars in Miami and two stars in Cleveland. Demar does not even have enough help to upset the top western conference teams.

Demar is a good player. An all star. But he is not a #1 option. And you cant fault him for that.

Yes I can...

duncan2k5
01-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Because young talent doesnt guarentee a ring or even being competitive. Look at the Suns, the Kings (who barely found someone after years and will still take them years to be competitive), Hawks, and other teams that thought tanking was the answer and arent even on Spurs' level. Also, would you get LMA/DDR? Nothing worthy. You keep mentioning that Spurs are catering to players' feelings and have no grand strategy. What a ludicrous notion. This is an organization that has been finding nobodies in drafts, building stars (including Kawhi for thr most part), and the standard for the NBA., and to say that they are just trying to hold hands in a circle makes zero sense. The fact is the Spurs strategy was broken up when Kawhi left, and this was their best chance to be competitive now and also ready for the future (DJ, White, Lonnie, Jakob, TOR pick).

We KNOW we won't win shit with either LMA or DDR... WHY KEEP THEM THEN??? you can get decent role players for them... I'd rather OG than demar at this point

Collins21
01-22-2019, 08:23 PM
But he imposed himself as one... The fact that he wasn't designated as one makes it even more impressive

For 5 games he didn't do shit against OKC or the Mavs.

YGWHI
01-22-2019, 09:25 PM

Agree. No one player can win a playoffs series.

YGWHI
01-22-2019, 09:29 PM
We KNOW we won't win shit with either LMA or DDR... WHY KEEP THEM THEN??? you can get decent role players for them... I'd rather OG than demar at this point

Bro...role players don't "win a shit either"

This team won't trade LMA nor DeRozan. If they make a move at the deadline it will be to get guys on the roster WITH LMA/DD

monty4329
01-23-2019, 06:55 AM

So basically 29 teams should trade everybody.... Since nobody will win shit this year except GS...

ceperez
01-23-2019, 07:35 AM

Coz you need to keep winning so you can get your younger players exposure to a playoff environment.

You can't get better by not learning how to play in tough environments.

C-Dub
01-23-2019, 05:08 PM
I believe DD's problem is that he never really had to concentrate on playing defense every possession. That is probably draining if you use that type of energy and not use to it. I give it until next season to get acclimated and endurance built up. With that being the case, I see DD playing better next season. He will have more good/great games this season but it usually takes a complete season to acclimate to the Spurs way.

Mirrornick
01-23-2019, 05:37 PM
I believe DD's problem is that he never really had to concentrate on playing defense every possession. That is probably draining if you use that type of energy and not use to it. I give it until next season to get acclimated and endurance built up. With that being the case, I see DD playing better next season. He will have more good/great games this season but it usually takes a complete season to acclimate to the Spurs way.

Demar had a long slump last season beginning sometime in December. Hard to say why he is struggling. We can all speculate. But maybe even derozan himself doesn't know why. All he can do is figure it out.

spurs1990
01-23-2019, 10:33 PM
DeRozan fans please come in here and defend your guy.

Talk us off the ledge

Xx_SpursNation_xX
01-23-2019, 10:35 PM
What's to defend, he sucks.

TheGreatYacht
01-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Why is this thread being bumped? :lol Crater face lost the game...

GAustex
01-23-2019, 10:54 PM
DDR continues to disappoint

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2019, 11:09 PM
27 million a year

My god!

bic50
01-23-2019, 11:40 PM
Looks like a he had a good game

mkurts
01-23-2019, 11:50 PM
As long as DeFrozen is happy, Pop is willing to keep losing.

spurs1990
01-24-2019, 12:44 AM
I hope there’s some dumb GM out there who’ll take this guy off RC’s hands this offseason.

This is like the Richard Jefferson years. Only RJ was like 4th fiddle not the top dog.

heyheymymy
01-24-2019, 02:23 AM
Man I love Demar but these nicknames are hilarious.
DePression made me lol

Dingle Barry
01-24-2019, 04:00 AM
His FTA have been trending down. For the season he's attempting his fewest FTs since 2013, before he was an all-star.

monty4329
01-24-2019, 05:46 AM
Send him to Austin, he is just a detriment to the team. Right now we can't win with DDR on the floor.

I blame Pop for keeping him in and giving him the last possession, he bloody walked to the basket to get the easieast block ever. I don't know if the decision to have him shoot, or the execution was more pathetic, certainly both are not NBA level.

duncan2k5
01-24-2019, 06:11 AM
For 5 games he didn't do shit against OKC or the Mavs.

Did u watch the OKC series?? Rebounding was the problem... Our bigs were the problem... LMA choked his ass off and none of our bigs could rebound... Kawhi wasn't a superstar until 2017... LMA had games that series where he shot less than 30%

duncan2k5
01-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Bro...role players don't "win a shit either"

This team won't trade LMA nor DeRozan. If they make a move at the deadline it will be to get guys on the roster WITH LMA/DD

So we are gonna keep them while LMA gets older and worse? And Until DDR leaves for nothing... If we CAN'T WIN with them why keep them?? Role players contribute to championship teams... I shouldn't have to break this down to you... You think any of our teams win a ring without great roleplayers? No team ever has... You have to start making moves NOW to get the deadweight off the team and start building a team with guys who have a winning mentality and are more tailored for this era

duncan2k5
01-24-2019, 06:16 AM
So basically 29 teams should trade everybody.... Since nobody will win shit this year except GS...

Look what golden state did... No one expected them to be a dynasty... They were a joke... Then they stockpiled players that fit this new era and how they wanted to play so when a window was open, BOOM... if golden state was to break up, we STILL wouldn't be CLOSE to winning shit with LMA and DDR.. The guy couldn't even beat lebron with a better team in the freaking east... Why keep something that we KNOW won't work??

duncan2k5
01-24-2019, 06:18 AM
Coz you need to keep winning so you can get your younger players exposure to a playoff environment.

You can't get better by not learning how to play in tough environments.

Golden state wasn't winning for a lot of years, then suddenly they became a dynasty... U have to have the right players... Look at the clippers..YEARS of playoff failures taught them nothing other than they suck... Because they didn't have the right players

monty4329
01-24-2019, 06:25 AM
Look what golden state did... No one expected them to be a dynasty... They were a joke... Then they stockpiled players that fit this new era and how they wanted to play so when a window was open, BOOM... if golden state was to break up, we STILL wouldn't be CLOSE to winning shit with LMA and DDR.. The guy couldn't even beat lebron with a better team in the freaking east... Why keep something that we KNOW won't work??

Agreed about DDR

spurs1990
01-24-2019, 08:53 AM
There’s an eternal asterisk in golden state.

If the players union wasn’t greedy there wouldn’t have been that huge cap jump in 2016. Meaning Durant doesn’t sign there because they couldn’t afford him.

Absolute dumb luck getting a top 3 player to join Curry and Thompson.

Coach X
01-24-2019, 11:57 AM
DeRozan played OK in Phila. He missed three important shots because at least he took them. He has scored those already wearing a Spurs uniform. Currently not in his best moment but still taking responsibility. Aldridge refused to play 1on1 in vs Embiid from FT line, Marco/Gay lost a ball, Pop didn't put him in the floor for the final shot. And nothing of that was the key for the game.

Spurs received 5 consecutive points for not running back in transition D, allowing Simmons to attack the rim and finish first and assist for an open 3 later. On his next defensive possession, Spurs sprinted back but Gay fouled Reddick (3+1) just after a simple and predictable P&Pop with Simmons. 9 points in 3 consecutive possessions.

Spurs went from up 8 to down 1 in a minute and a half. The team lost the game in defense. That should be the point of emphasis for them to improve.

monty4329
01-24-2019, 12:03 PM
DeRozan played OK in Phila. He missed three important shots because at least he took them. He has scored those already wearing a Spurs uniform. Currently not in his best moment but still taking responsibility. Aldridge refused to play 1on1 in vs Embiid from FT line, Marco/Gay lost a ball, Pop didn't put him in the floor for the final shot. And nothing of that was the key for the game.

Spurs received 5 consecutive points for not running back in transition D, allowing Simmons to attack the rim and finish first and assist for an open 3 later. On his next defensive possession, Spurs sprinted back but Gay fouled Reddick (3+1) just after a simple and predictable P&Pop with Simmons. 9 points in 3 consecutive possessions.

Spurs went from up 8 to down 1 in a minute and a half. The team lost the game in defense. That should be the point of emphasis for them to improve.

I disagree. The game is called basketball. If you don't score during the last 2.5 minutes -after scoring 120 points in 45 minutes- you have no excuses. DDR missed everything possible during last stretch, not only shots, but floor positions too. And last shot? absurd slow dribble (didn't want to risk not having the ball back) and slow walk towards the basket, for a shot that everybody in the arena would have blocked. DDR played horrible, the problem is not the defense.

Coach X
01-24-2019, 12:15 PM
I disagree. The game is called basketball. If you don't score during the last 2.5 minutes -after scoring 120 points in 45 minutes- you have no excuses. DDR missed everything possible during last stretch, not only shots, but floor positions too. And last shot? absurd slow dribble (didn't want to risk not having the ball back) and slow walk towards the basket, for a shot that everybody in the arena would have blocked. DDR played horrible, the problem is not the defense.
Well, we agree to disagree. :toast

duncan2k5
01-24-2019, 12:51 PM
There’s an eternal asterisk in golden state.

If the players union wasn’t greedy there wouldn’t have been that huge cap jump in 2016. Meaning Durant doesn’t sign there because they couldn’t afford him.

Absolute dumb luck getting a top 3 player to join Curry and Thompson.

So players are greedy, but if the money doesn't go to them it goes to the owners... Ur way of seeing things is warped... The owners are the greedy ones

RD2191
01-24-2019, 01:13 PM
This guy couldn't win in the East. The garbage and historically bad East. We really expect him to make noise in the West? Come on now. :lol

ceperez
01-24-2019, 03:41 PM
This is the first year that DeRozan has played with the Spurs.

He'll get better as a facilitator as the season progresses.

Next year with most of the players coming back, with rookies going into the rotation and two first round picks and lots of cap room. That's when we can increase our expectation.

Besides GSW with Boogie is not something any other team can beat.

Spurs da champs
01-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Bradley Beal>>DDR.

spurs1990
01-24-2019, 07:26 PM
So players are greedy, but if the money doesn't go to them it goes to the owners... Ur way of seeing things is warped... The owners are the greedy ones

Greedy as in wanting the cap increase over one summer instead of staggered over two or more.
That point is not mine, it can be found on an internet search by many basketball columnists.

Greedy, short-sighted, whatever you want to call it - it's fair to say Durant doesn't sign with GS if the cap doesn't skyrocket like it did.

Ironically enough that summer both DeRozan and Gasol signed their bloated contracts which them Spurs are gladly on the hook for for another year or two.

gambit1990
01-25-2019, 01:36 AM
could we trade him to TOR for siakam? :lol

kaji157
01-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Almost 50% of the team is new, our roster was not made to fit DeRozan, our most promising rookie and most important defensive player is lost for the season. Some of our rotation players couldn't play many games because of injuries.
The team is still adapting to a situation that was forced onto them (nephew), still we are in the playoff picture and have seen what this team can do when it peaks.
We are on the right way and DeRozan is buying in, that's all we need as of now.
In 2012, with 3 Hall off famers, and a stablished team with nephew as a recent addition the team got to the WCF, if somehow we manage to get to the WSF with a completely new team that's a good start.

Dex
01-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Out tomorrow with left knee soreness. He missed the Clippers game for "rest", and now it's becoming more apparent that he is injured.

May explain his poor play of late. Not sure if thats a good or bad sign.

Obviously its a problem when anybody gets injured...but hopefully that means he can get healthy and eventually get back to the way he was playing to start the season.

Play Boban
01-25-2019, 07:45 PM
DDR has the worst effective field goal percentage on the team, and it’s not close. Cut this cancer.

jmard5
01-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Seeing the same complaint against DeRozan when Aldridge was in his 1st year with the Spurs. Give him time. He could also be injured and didn't want to make it public.

Chinook
01-26-2019, 10:51 PM
Seeing the same complaint against DeRozan when Aldridge was in his 1st year with the Spurs. Give him time. He could also be injured and didn't want to make it public.

Not just injury. Dude carried a huge load and isn't really young anymore. If DeMar is not feeling good physically, it wouldn't be a surprise. A lot of folks here worried about this back when the did was leading the league in total minutes played.

Pavlov
01-27-2019, 09:06 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ArYCtsz.jpg

I'm SURE
Demar DeProzac was in the BACK getting TREATMENT and COULD NOT make it to SUPPORT his teammates on the Bench

ALL you KAWHI Haters need to SHUT THE FUCK UP about him not "Supporting his team"Nope, Kawhi never supported his teammates after the unpleasantness.

If DDR never does again, that doesn't make anything Kawhi did right.

duncan2k5
01-28-2019, 11:14 PM
Why isn't DDR sitting on the bench supporting the team? Not a leader... Bad teammate... Fake injury...

SupremeGuy
01-28-2019, 11:26 PM
Not just injury. Dude carried a huge load and isn't really young anymore. If DeMar is not feeling good physically, it wouldn't be a surprise. A lot of folks here worried about this back when the did was leading the league in total minutes played.Yeah it seems pretty obvious that he's worn out. Understandable. He came in feeling like he needed to prove himself and probably pushed himself too hard.

LkrFan
01-29-2019, 06:54 AM

Y'all traded your franchise player for a coo coo clock? :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Y'all traded your franchise player for a coo coo clock? :lol

The Lakers are going to be the armpit of the NBA the day Lebron retires. The Lakers aren't going to get anything for their best player. Look forward to some more 20 win seasons Laker Fan.

LkrFan
01-29-2019, 12:46 PM
The Lakers are going to be the armpit of the NBA the day Lebron retires. The Lakers aren't going to get anything for their best player. Look forward to some more 20 win seasons Laker Fan.

Yeah, okay :lol

RD2191
01-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Yeah, okay :lol

The Lakers are trash, Juan Pablo, the sooner you accept it the better.

LkrFan
01-29-2019, 01:19 PM
The Lakers are trash, Juan Pablo, the sooner you accept it the better.

:lol

FrankC
04-29-2019, 10:52 AM

OK so I was off in my prediction. I was being a little facetious of course with the 12 PER and 40's TS%, but the general gist of this post/prediction mostly came true. There was a bump period in performance post ASG, helping the team squeak into the playoffs, only to play below his regular season standard once the playoffs hit. Managing to stay above 50 TS% and having 2 or 3 good games in the series instead of just one, should be considered a success and a step in the right direction. Who knows, maybe once he is going into his 11th playoffs he might actually be good enough for his role and usage, it's just too bad he'll be in his mid 30s and a 6th man by that point.