PDA

View Full Version : 2 for 1 Review - White Boy Rick and White Boy

SpursforSix
01-15-2019, 10:56 AM
White Boy Rick - movie based on the true story of a white teenager in 80's Detroit who gets involved in the drug game and ultimately gets arrested.
Decent movie, nothing really special. The kid that plays Rick was excellent though.
7/10

White Boy - documentary of the same story. I watched this after watching the movie out of curiosity. Wanted to see how closely the movie followed the true story. It did. Pretty closely.
But it adds a lot more of the behind the scenes detail that would have been hard for the movie to capture.
8/10

The takeaway is that this kid got screwed. Was arrested at 17 years old for possession with intent to distribute - greater than 650 grams. Which at the time, carried a life sentence with no parole in Michigan.
They later changed the law but because of some political stuff, Rick really got fucked. At his parole hearings, there was a concerted effort by "them" to keep him in jail.

Pretty amazing that of all the guys he was involved with in Detroit, he's the only one still in prison. Major dealers have been out for years. And one hitman who admitted to 30 murders is also out.

If you're just going to watch one, I'd watch the doc. If you watch the movie, I highly recommend the doc as well.

Chucho
01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
White Boy Rick - movie based on the true story of a white teenager in 80's Detroit who gets involved in the drug game and ultimately gets arrested.
Decent movie, nothing really special. The kid that plays Rick was excellent though.
7/10

White Boy - documentary of the same story. I watched this after watching the movie out of curiosity. Wanted to see how closely the movie followed the true story. It did. Pretty closely.
But it adds a lot more of the behind the scenes detail that would have been hard for the movie to capture.
8/10

The takeaway is that this kid got screwed. Was arrested at 17 years old for possession with intent to distribute - greater than 650 grams. Which at the time, carried a life sentence with no parole in Michigan.
They later changed the law but because of some political stuff, Rick really got fucked. At his parole hearings, there was a concerted effort by "them" to keep him in jail.

Pretty amazing that of all the guys he was involved with in Detroit, he's the only one still in prison. Major dealers have been out for years. And one hitman who admitted to 30 murders is also out.

If you're just going to watch one, I'd watch the doc. If you watch the movie, I highly recommend the doc as well.

There's a great documentary on WBR by Al Profit and also goes in depth a bit more about about the other Detroit cartels that worked with and against him. Al's stuff is pretty much the definitive works on American Gangsters post-Cosa Nostra.

Chucho
01-15-2019, 11:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av08enkC8zw

SpursforSix
01-15-2019, 11:36 AM
There's a great documentary on WBR by Al Profit and also goes in depth a bit more about about the other Detroit cartels that worked with and against him. Al's stuff is pretty much the definitive works on American Gangsters post-Cosa Nostra.

:tu

awesome. I'll check that out.