PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Mid-Range Shot

Racspur1
01-16-2019, 09:27 AM
https://flowingdata.com/2019/01/15/goodbye-mid-range-shot/

monty4329
01-16-2019, 09:45 AM
yes, time to get rid of the 3-point line that turned a game of pyhisical and mental skill (basketball) into a boring teenager videogame

Or at least increase the rim height by 2 feet, thereby making more difficult the angle on long shots.

sasaint
01-16-2019, 09:59 AM
yes, time to get rid of the 3-point line that turned a game of pyhisical and mental skill (basketball) into a boring teenager videogame

Or at least increase the rim height by 2 feet, thereby making more difficult the angle on long shots.

What attracted me to the sport in my youth was the strategy and the plays. I would love to see them become a more important part of the sport again. However, teenage videogamers are the demographic of commercial relevance. No going back.

BSfromTX
01-16-2019, 10:13 AM
I

one of the better posts in this forum. The game boils down to watching and waiting to see who misses the next three... defense has all but been removed from the game.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
:lol the 3pt shot is actually the only thing giving teams a puncher's chance against GSW. The league is finally adapting to it and it's a big reason why the Warriors aren't ever going anywhere close to 73-9 again. Rockets had a shot until they had one of the biggest choking jobs in history (and no CP3)

The only folks that should say goodbye to the midrange is us. 1st in 3p%, 28th in attempts. Less DDR/LMA fadeaway midranges, more beautiful game.

Othyus Lalanne
01-16-2019, 10:56 AM
What attracted me to the sport in my youth was the strategy and the plays. I would love to see them become a more important part of the sport again. However, teenage videogamers are the demographic of commercial relevance. No going back.

So they watch basketball for the3 s?

Tthe least highlighty shot in basketbaqll with so many players being good at in 2019?

cd021
01-16-2019, 12:10 PM
So they watch basketball for the3 s?

Tthe least highlighty shot in basketbaqll with so many players being good at in 2019?

2K most likely; nobody runs plays in games when they could just jack up 50 3s. I do the exact same thing.

exstatic
01-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Like everything else, this will likely swing back, at least to some extent. We LITERALLY beat Houston in the playoffs because they refused to take 15 footers that were open. When you ONLY take 3s or drive to the rim, you make the defense's job easier. Pop is only the first to realize that not only do teams not shoot from mid-range any more, they don't DEFEND it, either. There are easy, uncontested shots in that area.

phxspurfan
01-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Like everything else, this will likely swing back, at least to some extent. We LITERALLY beat Houston in the playoffs because they refused to take 15 footers that were open. When you ONLY take 3s or drive to the rim, you make the defense's job easier. Pop is only the first to realize that not only do teams not shoot from mid-range any more, they don't DEFEND it, either. There are easy, uncontested shots in that area.

That’s because if the team can make their 3s ata good percentage, and make layups, the long 2 is an inefficient shot

John B
01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
The game of basketball is a game of strategy correct. And the 3pt shot is a part of the strategy. It’s trying to get open shot, higher percentage shots and that’s what Pop is trying to beat with their own medicine. 3pt shots are necessary to free-up the lanes. If other teams have better 3pt shooters then be it. It’s the challenge of how to beat the system instead of whining about it. I hate the Harden’s foul baits tbh. But as long as the refs don’t give him those 4 stepbacks, traveling, and ticky-tac foul. But to get back to 3pt line, it’s part of the game and whoever can use to his advantage imo

monty4329
01-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Any 3-point shot from an average shooter IS NOT 50% less efficient than a 2-point shot from an average shooter, but it is rewarded with 50% more output.
There is no way around it, the productivity of the 3-point shot is immensely superior, and the difference compounds esponentially with every shot taken.
That's why 3-point volume-shooting offenses dominate the NBA. It is, sadly, simple math.

Unfortunately.

exstatic
01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
That’s because if the team can make their 3s ata good percentage, and make layups, the long 2 is an inefficient shot

It's very efficient when it's unguarded. That's what Pop has discovered. Because everyone else is shooting only 3s and going to the rim, teams no longer know how to defend the mid-range game.

During the hot streak, SA was #1 in the NBA on ORtg with our "inefficient" mid range offense, and that likely would have continued if Gay and Beli didn't get hurt.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2019, 01:24 PM
It's very efficient when it's unguarded. That's what Pop has discovered. Because everyone else is shooting only 3s and going to the rim, teams no longer know how to defend the mid-range game.

During the hot streak, SA was #1 in the NBA on ORtg with our "inefficient" mid range offense, and that likely would have continued if Gay and Beli didn't get hurt.
Eh. That hot streak had more to do with Bertans, Beli, Forbes, and to a lesser extent Gay making shots out of their minds

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2019, 01:36 PM
The Spurs' midrange game is part of what is freeing up our 3-point shooters. When defenses are staying home on our perimeter players our 3-point percentages seriously free-fall. I think this team does need both to be successful. Credit has to be given to Gay, DeRozan and LMA for their ability to get the defenses to sag off our 3-point shooters.

R. DeMurre
01-16-2019, 02:31 PM
The Spurs' midrange game is part of what is freeing up our 3-point shooters. When defenses are staying home on our perimeter players our 3-point percentages seriously free-fall. I think this team does need both to be successful. Credit has to be given to Gay, DeRozan and LMA for their ability to get the defenses to sag off our 3-point shooters.

I agree with this concept, but I still think a better balance could be achieved: The Spurs being #1 in the NBA in 3ptFG% but #30 in 3ptFGA seems like too dramatic a disparity to me.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

Chris
01-16-2019, 04:52 PM

Solid post and I agree. The league is just waiting on the next dominant big for it go back to inside-out.

exstatic
01-16-2019, 05:23 PM
I agree with this concept, but I still think a better balance could be achieved: The Spurs being #1 in the NBA in 3ptFG% but #30 in 3ptFGA seems like too dramatic a disparity to me.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

Is it more of a disparity that Houston being #16 in 3G% and being the 3 pointiest team, shooting over 1000 more 3 pointers than we have...so far?

Chris Fall
01-16-2019, 05:55 PM
The roughly 15+ foot jumper to the three point line is the inefficient shot that I’m fine being gone and eliminated from the game. Once you start creeping out further closer to the three point line, it makes no sense not to step out just a little further out to get rewarded 50% more points.

However there are shots inside roughly 15 feet but not all the way to the rim that could still be valuable parts of an offense. The runner / floater, short pull-up jumper, different hooks, baby, facing, half hooks, the fade-away started from a backdown from the low post, short elbow bankshot. Especially for guards and wings who want to avoid shotblocking right at the rim, there’s an area inside the three and just outside the immediate area around the basket that can be efficient enough to be a part most offenses. And with all the spacing three point shooting provides, those areas are relatively open to exploit. Just need practice.

Part of the problem with these these shots is they aren’t practiced as much or much at all. That’s part of their inefficiency. If players who aren’t great three point shooters invest their practice time perfecting some of those shots, where they end up being 50-60% efficient at those shots, then that trumps the efficiency of the three point shot if they’re only 30-33% shooters from behind the arc. Even in this three point proliferation era, there’s still value in some type of midrange offense.

Othyus Lalanne
01-16-2019, 05:58 PM
2K most likely; nobody runs plays in games when they could just jack up 50 3s. I do the exact same thing.

I don't think the youngings are that retarded yet to think that is excitting basketball.

Just because Heroes of Might and Magic 5 or whatever is popular, does not mean they want to see it in an action movie.

Down Under
01-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Any 3-point shot from an average shooter IS NOT 50% less efficient than a 2-point shot from an average shooter, but it is rewarded with 50% more output.
There is no way around it, the productivity of the 3-point shot is immensely superior, and the difference compounds esponentially with every shot taken.
That's why 3-point volume-shooting offenses dominate the NBA. It is, sadly, simple math.

Unfortunately.
So make a 3 worth 4 & a 2 worth 3? Only worth 33% more that way.

monty4329
01-17-2019, 04:50 AM
So make a 3 worth 4 & a 2 worth 3? Only worth 33% more that way.

I say make a 3 worth 2, as it is supposed to be, and play real basketball again

r0drig0lac
01-17-2019, 07:35 AM

nah, just allow some kind of physicality in the perimeter and ban illegal screens (as it should be), and the facility to create open shots (and consequently their efficiency) will decrease, it's quite simple really

tbdog
01-17-2019, 08:45 AM
I don't want to see points change as I think it would ruin stats. I still think the corner 3 just needs to go and keep everything the same. The 3 point line should be the same length across the court. Currently, you must defend the corner and it really takes away one defender out of the equation. He is in his own island out there and can only cover the baseline. He can't come down and help, and if he rotates up the top, ball movement will give you an open baseline 3.

If this was removed and it was only a 2, I can see teams forgoing the corner to help down low, to help on the penetration. Defense would just get much better. At the moment, its the best open shot in the game.

The way shooters are protected, running at a shooter is really difficult to do. The way players defend now is to run to the side of them and contest the shot. That is why there are so many blow-bys now. Rotations can't stop the 3.

Mr. Body
01-17-2019, 09:29 AM
:lol the 3pt shot is actually the only thing giving teams a puncher's chance against GSW. The league is finally adapting to it and it's a big reason why the Warriors aren't ever going anywhere close to 73-9 again. Rockets had a shot until they had one of the biggest choking jobs in history (and no CP3)

The only folks that should say goodbye to the midrange is us. 1st in 3p%, 28th in attempts. Less DDR/LMA fadeaway midranges, more beautiful game.

Warriors wouldn't be anything without the 3 point shot.

spurraider21
01-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Derozan and Aldridge rank #1 and #2 in the NBA in 2pt field goals attempted this season despite being ranked #9 and #16 in overall field goal attempts

cd98
01-17-2019, 02:53 PM

I disagree. I think the three point shot is what gives GSW its powers. How unstoppable is Curry if he's launching shots from three feet behind the now three point line and only getting two points for it? GSW has so much room to operate because they can put 4-5 three point shooters on the court at once and with so much space, they are impossible to guard. But you take away the extra point from shooting behind the line and defenders will likely sag and let him shoot 35% from out there.

That said, I do think it benefits the game to have an incentive for people to shoot from that distance because it does open up the court.

spurraider21
01-17-2019, 02:56 PM
right now, of the top 50 players in 3 pointers attempted this season, only SIX of them are shooting 40% or better from 3: Curry, Hield, Barnes, Irving, Gallinari, Danny Green

2 of them are shooting BELOW 30%... Kuzma and Love, and both are hoisting 6 attempts per game