PDA

View Full Version : At what point did you hit, 1, 2, 3 , 4 plates in the gym for the big 4 compound excercises?

apalisoc_9
01-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Been lifting for years now and my squat and deadlift is still lacking.

150 OHP
215 Bench
315 Squat
380 Dealift.

My deadlift and bench stalled. With a better program I can probably hit those numbers since Im so close, but the motivation is not there. I already love my body but would be nice to finally hit those numbers.

Not strong numbers by any means but its what the average joe should be aiming for.

SpursforSix
01-16-2019, 05:34 PM
I vag punched your mom the other night. Does that count?
In my defense, I thought it was a rapid nutria. Plus we'd been drinking.

BD24
01-16-2019, 08:45 PM
:lol

this faggot pretending he lifts weights

Joseph Kony
01-17-2019, 12:40 AM
are these your working sets or one rep max?

chunticakes
01-17-2019, 05:55 AM
Cables don't count.

FrostKing
01-20-2019, 03:51 AM
Cables don't count.
I added Cables to my Shoulder workout today.

Along with
- dumbbell shoulder press
- dumbbell side lateral raise + dumbbell shrugs
- upright cable row
- reverse machine flys

I added
- seated Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise
https://i.imgur.com/77TNcl2.jpg

- cable reverse fly
https://i.imgur.com/UKsMEBI.jpg

- one arm cable lateral raise
https://i.imgur.com/9UBetpB.jpg

- cable front raise
https://i.imgur.com/h74hD92.png

FrostKing
01-20-2019, 05:00 AM
Different strategy ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcr4aVLHaXI

benefactor
01-20-2019, 11:10 AM

150 OHP
215 Bench
315 Squat
380 Dealift.

My deadlift and bench stalled. With a better program I can probably hit those numbers since Im so close, but the motivation is not there. I already love my body but would be nice to finally hit those numbers.

Not strong numbers by any means but its what the average joe should be aiming for.
Work in more isolated tricep work at different angles(skull crushers are the best imo) and work in some heavy incline press. The heavy incline press really helped me break through on bench. I usually do a ladder...8/6/4/6/8...and then you can add in a burnout if you want. On bench, move to 5x5's with 60 to 90 seconds rest in between.

BD24
01-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Work in more isolated tricep work at different angles(skull crushers are the best imo) and work in some heavy incline press. The heavy incline press really helped me break through on bench. I usually do a ladder...8/6/4/6/8...and then you can add in a burnout if you want. On bench, move to 5x5's with 60 to 90 seconds rest in between.
This is great advice tbh. I was plateauing on bench and started going heavy on incline, helped improve my bench quite a bit.

FrostKing
01-22-2019, 08:47 PM
BACK DAY

1. Reverse grip pull down
2. Close grip row
3. Barbell deadlift
4. Wide grip pull up
5. Back extensions

Fin

BD24
01-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Busted out 250 for 2 reps today on bench for the first time in awhile.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-23-2019, 01:34 PM
fucking bars keep bending so much damn gym manager giving me so much shit

also people never put the damn chains back. i know they're probably tired and don't want to lug them across the room but it's a weight room right?

Spurtacular
01-24-2019, 11:31 PM

this faggot pretending he lifts weights

:lol Maxing at 215 all the same.

Mark Celibate
01-25-2019, 12:05 AM

150 OHP
215 Bench
315 Squat
380 Dealift.

How's your diet and how much sleep do you get? Probably hard to get that strong as a Muslim with all that meat that's not Halal tbh

imo those have always been two big ones for me without getting into details of the workout itself. 6.5 vs 8 hours of sleep makes a huge difference the next day.

apalisoc_9
01-25-2019, 12:29 AM
:tu

How's your diet and how much sleep do you get? Probably hard to get that strong as a Muslim with all that meat that's not Halal tbh

imo those have always been two big ones for me without getting into details of the workout itself. 6.5 vs 8 hours of sleep makes a huge difference the next day.

My sleep is def a problem. I get maybe 5-6 a day

Mark Celibate
01-25-2019, 12:54 AM
My sleep is def a problem. I get maybe 5-6 a day

yeah, I don't really practice what I preach. I'm usually at 6.5 on weeknights too tbh unless I'm traveling for work. For some reason I always sleep a solid 8 hours on the road, but then the shitty hotel gyms cancel it out anyway :lol

don't you have kids though? I'm just a scumbag bachelor, so I don't really have a legit excuse IMO

FrostKing
01-25-2019, 02:24 AM
I decided to simplify my lifting. I do cardio 5+ days a week and lift after

I realized I'm doing too many isolations and smith and/or machines. I.e. 5+ different workouts with 3 sets each of 10 reps. Instead I'm just gonna do 3 workouts with 4 sets of heavy 6-8 reps

BD24
01-25-2019, 10:40 AM
:lol Maxing at 215 all the same.
He is probably lucky to squeak out a couple reps at 135 tbh

DMC
01-25-2019, 03:49 PM
How much wall climbing are you prepared to do?

FrostKing
01-27-2019, 02:35 PM
My shoulders are too massive for my shirts

Please help

pgardn
01-31-2019, 07:53 AM
My shoulders are too massive for my shirts

Please help

Actually you’re just too sexy for your shirts.
It’s important to know the difference.

It’s critical to build functional strength.
When you get so huge you can’t even leave the gym , it becomes imperative to be able to rip doorframes out.
This is what you should eventually hone your skill set to accomplish.

FrostKing
02-02-2019, 10:57 PM
https://cdn.runningshoesguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Brooks-Launch-5-2.jpg

Feel bad for poor people at the gym forced to wear poverty Nikes

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2019, 01:37 AM
PM me and I'll ship you some shit, Apo..100, no charge..you're probably nearing 30 IIRC, every man that lifts seriously should at least try it IMO..

Mitch
02-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Bench should be shooting up if you're lifting right, tbh. Need to hit your max more to get some more strength growth, I didn't go above 315 until I forced out 1-2 more reps when maxing. Need a spotter tho, don't want to get that bar stuck :lol

I guess smith machine can help if you don't want to ask for spots.

BD24
02-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Bench should be shooting up if you're lifting right, tbh. Need to hit your max more to get some more strength growth, I didn't go above 315 until I forced out 1-2 more reps when maxing. Need a spotter tho, don't want to get that bar stuck :lol

I guess smith machine can help if you don't want to ask for spots.
Depends on size and build as well. Some dudes have little baby chest and have trouble getting bench up tbh

FrostKing
02-04-2019, 01:03 PM
If you want a strong bench - focus primarily on bench. Cut out all the other stuff (except incline). Add flat bench dumbbells. That is all you need.

apalisoc_9
02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
PM me and I'll ship you some shit, Apo..100, no charge..you're probably nearing 30 IIRC, every man that lifts seriously should at least try it IMO..

Thank breh but I think Im gonna take it easy. I only got two more years or so anyway. If I reach 2,34 before 30 I'd be happy.

My joints kill me and I dont recover as fast anymore. Getting old.

apalisoc_9
02-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Iirc you're in your 40s. Is lifting heavy worth it around that age..I've already noticed a significant decrease in recovery time and my Joints dont react as well with heavy weights as they used to and Im in my late 20s.

FrostKing
02-05-2019, 08:34 PM
When I see dude pushing up an enormous amount of weight I just think oh cool. I'd do that too if I invested the time (and probably killed my liver with substances). But I'm jealous when I see someone really cut. There is a 60+ year old man at our gym, bulging shoulders, calves etc. That makes me think damn I'd have to not just lift but also watch what I intake

Mass is chill but being cut and seeing definition is where it is at. I remember working at a department store and they called this weight lifter "big for nothing". Huge lumbering around. All the mass just looked tiresome

Mark Celibate
02-05-2019, 09:54 PM
When I see dude pushing up an enormous amount of weight I just think oh cool. I'd do that too if I invested the time (and probably killed my liver with substances). But I'm jealous when I see someone really cut. There is a 60+ year old man at our gym, bulging shoulders, calves etc. That makes me think damn I'd have to not just lift but also watch what I intake

Mass is chill but being cut and seeing definition is where it is at. I remember working at a department store and they called this weight lifter "big for nothing". Huge lumbering around. All the mass just looked tiresome

tbh unless those guys are really competitive lifters and really know what they are doing, it's only a matter of time before they start getting knee/back issues. Deadlifts/Squats are a one way road to a herniated disc unless you have a trainer by your side. Not worth it to me anymore

I used to be on the "Gainz Train" as well until I opted for having a working spine and pair of legs the rest of my life

benefactor
02-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Iirc you're in your 40s. Is lifting heavy worth it around that age..I've already noticed a significant decrease in recovery time and my Joints dont react as well with heavy weights as they used to and Im in my late 20s.
I'm pretty good at listening to my body. I've been injured before, so I know when to back off a little bit or not go for that last set.

Mark Celibate
02-06-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty good at listening to my body. I've been injured before, so I know when to back off a little bit or not go for that last set.

Have there been any lifts that you've given up as you've gotten older? Just curious, as I can't recall ever seeing anybody in their 40's in the gym doing squat or deadlifts unless they're just repping the bar or something. Seems like there's a point where Father Time takes over and even the most serious lifters have to change up their routine

rascal
02-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Maxed at 275 and never did steroids.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2019, 04:29 PM

How's your wife?

apalisoc_9
02-07-2019, 07:59 PM
How's your wife?

:wow

Had no idea you're into that life brah.

Mark Celibate
02-07-2019, 08:07 PM

...is that supposed to be impressive?

FrostKing
02-08-2019, 12:41 AM
275? Ya high school was fun

Ginobilly
02-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Functional strength is where it's a at! Extreme weightlifting is not good for your health unless your making $$ by being in sports.

Ginobilly
02-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Girls care more about the size of your wang and wallet than your puny mussels.

benefactor
02-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Have there been any lifts that you've given up as you've gotten older? Just curious, as I can't recall ever seeing anybody in their 40's in the gym doing squat or deadlifts unless they're just repping the bar or something. Seems like there's a point where Father Time takes over and even the most serious lifters have to change up their routine
I don't do deadlifts anymore for the reasons you've already said. I still squat once a week and do some leg presses, but lighter weight for maintenance. Those two things mixed in with some weighted lunges are plenty for the lower body. I do a lot more core work too now as I've gotten older to help prevent back injuries.

I still heavy bench because I enjoy it, but I'm pretty diligent with my supplemental lifts that help with stabilization to help keep me from shoulder injuries. That and good form have allowed me to keep doing it. I know one day I'll have to give it up, but for now I've been fine.

rascal
02-08-2019, 11:57 AM

No, lifted weights from 16 to now, 62. 275 is not weak. Just could never get up to where the steroid users were doing.