PDA

View Full Version : Benson full page ad "Bringing Saints back to LA state"

Vashner
10-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Benson full page ad "Bringing Saints back to LA state".

I heard this on the radio.. he put out a full page ad

blaze89
10-26-2005, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see the Ad.

Vashner
10-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Hum Just found this on NOLA...
http://www.nola.com/hurricane/katrina/pdf/102605/1026D03.pdf

N.Y. Johnny
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll call Bravo Sierra on this being his real feelings and intentions..Of course, he's just calming things before he can reveal his hand and ultimately burn his New Orleans bridge finally and make the all out push to S.A.

blaze89
10-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Interesting.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Interesting.
That came from this posted on the official saints website..Read it closely....

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/new...?articleid=2008

OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

TOM BENSON WANTS TO RETURN TO NEW ORLEANS.

I WAS BORN IN NEW ORLEANS, WENT TO SCHOOL AT OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA NEAR ST. ROCH PARK IN THE 8TH WARD, ATTENDED ST. ALOYISOUS HIGH SCHOOL, AND ATTENDED LOYOLA UNIVERSITY. NEW ORLEANS IS MY HOMETOWN.

IT IS MY INTENTION AND GOAL THAT MY GRANDCHILDREN WILL CARRY ON MY LEGACY OF OWNING THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS. BOTH ARE CURRENTLY AND ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN THE OPERATION OF THE SAINTS. RITA BENSON LEBLANC IS A KEY EXECUTIVE AND HER BROTHER IS A SAINTS ADVISOR AND BOTH ACT AS DIRECTORS.

THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST. HOWEVER, IN SPITE OF THE DIFFICULTIES, I HAVE MADE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CONTRIBUTIONS ANNUALLY TO NEW ORLEANS CHARITIES, WHICH IN MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS I HAVE REFUSED LUCRATIVE OFFERS TO SELL THE SAINTS IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THEIR PRESENCE IN NEW ORLEANS.

HOWEVER, WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO MOVE OUR OPERATIONS SINCE FEDERAL AND STATE AUTHORITIES TOOK OVER OUR TRAINING FACILITY IN NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT NOTICE OR PERMISSION. THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE WAS TO FORGO THE SEASON.

After reviewing the reports about our team and the abundance of wide-sweeping negative media commentary and columns, I offer this:

NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM, because no decision has been made about the future of New Orleans. Our city endured one of the worst catastrophes in history and I clearly stated in the days following that it is our desire to be at the table during the rebuilding and revitalization of our city. However, there are many factors that will affect the future of our team, the same factors that will affect the future of many other companies when faced with the decision to return to the city of New Orleans. No one within our organization has offered or made any official comment about what our long term plans are, since the factors that will determine our situation are still unresolved. That is why we have not stated anything publicly, because it is still too early to determine. But my desire is to return to New Orleans.

It must be stated that we and the NFL have made no decision relative to the future of the Saints. It is remarkable that we have been able to continue operating under the circumstances, a testament to our staff and the assistance we have received in San Antonio as well as Baton Rouge.

San Antonio is a city in which I have deep relationships and I am grateful to them for allowing us access to their facilities. We have been displaced, but yet we forge on to represent New Orleans and the region with pride and determination. We have retained nearly 97% of our workforce, many of whom still remain separated from their families.

Our training facilities in New Orleans were utilized by the government for relief efforts. The Superdome has suffered damage that may keep it offline indefinitely. Operating an NFL team requires months of planning and because of that, we need to look at all of the options that are available to our team in the immediate future.

It must be made very clear that the future of our team in New Orleans will be determined by factors that are yet unresolved, such as, economics and facilities, the very issues that we have struggled with prior to Hurricane Katrina.

I am aware that the many comments and speculation coming out of Texas and other places only inflame the emotions of our fans, and rhetoric of the media in New Orleans. Many cities desire an NFL franchise and the politicians of these cities are going to continue to voice this desire. Our own Mayor did a similar thing in leading the campaign to bring the Hornets to New Orleans from Charlotte. Yet, when the subject matter of the Saints arises, comments from our current Mayor are made without a single phone call being placed to our team to check on our plans or to get the facts. If the Saints and Tom Benson were as important to the city as the Mayor of our city has claimed in the recent past, why such harsh comments, when a simple phone call could have saved him from embarrassment.

I take the responsibility of owning this team seriously. I understand that of all the businesses that may never return to New Orleans, the thought and discussion of the Saints not returning to New Orleans is a subject that will garner the most intense scrutiny of the public and media. A direct result of this scrutiny has been the many negative editorials and columns written or said about me. These are from some media people who have never run a company and have no clear understanding of how to run a successful business. In fact, many New Orleans businesses have either moved, permanently closed, or are dramatically downsizing, because of this tragic event. We are one company from New Orleans that has poured its heart and soul into staying afloat and on track. We wish nothing but the best and the speediest recovery for the many businesses and families affected by the hurricane.

In retrospect, I can say that I am very proud of our organization and how we have responded. We did not fold, we did not suspend, we did not downsize, we have continued to operate and represent the city and fans of New Orleans. When the time is right and the factors that are yet unresolved, are resolved, a decision on the future of the team will be made. Until then, we should all work together to find answers to the many questions that remain unanswered in making New Orleans a better city than it was prior to this catastrophe.

Sincerely,
Tom Benson
Owner-New Orleans Saints

Vashner
10-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Man talk about Brown nose...

Ok I want an expansion team then... let them have the Saintz..

Shiner Bock Girl
10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Man talk about Brown nose...

Ok I want an expansion team then... let them have the Saintz..

But Benson did not say he was going to be back in NOLA for sure, theres too much up in the air now...They are taking everything and running with it....I did love how he embarrassed Nagin though....The idiot was saying all those things and never bother to call on his own to find out the facts....

IceColdBrewski
10-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Translation: I'd like to come back to New Orleans...but...

Shiner Bock Girl
10-26-2005, 09:19 PM

Exactly, like he said, there are too many unresolved issues that have to be resolved before they they can come back there....And if there not resolved, they will have other options...

exstatic
10-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Tom Doesn't want to hurt their feelings or make them feel abandoned, hence the charity pledge, the ONLY pledge that was made in the newspaper ad. The fact is, he was negotiating for a new stadium, got nowhere, and broke off talks in April. Not co-incidentally, Hardberger mentioned that they had been talking to Benson since May. I found the link for the abortive negotiation while looking for info on Jacksonville's stadium. It's from a site that describes and lists all present, past, and some proposed future NFL stadiums. I saw the link for the proposed Saints stadium, and was floored to find out that their talks broke off in April. That just re-enforced (for me, anyway) the veracity of Benson talking to Hardberger in May.

Future (now scuttled) Saints stadium (http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/SaintsStadium.htm)

Shiner Bock Girl
10-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Tom Doesn't want to hurt their feelings or make them feel abandoned, hence the charity pledge, the ONLY pledge that was made in the newspaper ad. The fact is, he was negotiating for a new stadium, got nowhere, and broke off talks in April. Not co-incidentally, Hardberger mentioned that they had been talking to Benson since May. I found the link for the abortive negotiation while looking for info on Jacksonville's stadium. It's from a site that describes and lists all present, past, and some proposed future NFL stadiums. I saw the link for the proposed Saints stadium, and was floored to find out that their talks broke off in April. That just re-enforced (for me, anyway) the veracity of Benson talking to Hardberger in May.

Future (now scuttled) Saints stadium (http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/SaintsStadium.htm)

Good find!!!!!

exstatic
10-26-2005, 10:02 PM
There is a link on that page that also sheds some light on teams mentioned to possibly be on the move to LA in another thread. SD, NO, SF, Buffalo, and Minny. They all have stadium deals soon to expire or options to leave.

samikeyp
10-27-2005, 07:33 AM

we need you to build me..er...I mean...the Saints a new stadium.

SWC Bonfire
10-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Its called, "Buy some tickets for the upcoming games".

10 bucks he starts making noise the other direction when they come back to town on Dec. 24th, like they wouldn't support the team in Baton Rouge (hereafter known as Red Stick or Palo Rojo) like they did in San Antonio.

gameFACE
10-27-2005, 01:34 PM
That has to be one of the dumbest open letters i've ever read. Obviously meant to pander to vulnerable Saints fans but continue to sour relations with NO by calling out Nagin. Why not call out Hardberger, too? Isn't he one of the people in Texas who is "inflaming the emotions" of fans there?

McKenzie
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
As a very long term fan of the Saints, I'd just like to say that I wish the entire issue would just go away until after the season is over. I mean, seriously. They cannot make a call on JACK until a bizillion issues are figured out. Hell, the engineers in New Orleans have yet to determine how much soil has to be removed from certain areas before it can be legally deemed safe. Yesterday, they were talking about scooping out 3-4 FEET of earth to get rid of the contaiminated dirt. Then it must be replaced with clean dirt. Ok, so if you look at this one call yet to be made by the CDC and the corps of engineers about the condition of the city, how in the name of GOD can you say where the team will be? The city may never be clean enough to go back to, so if that's the case......

See what I mean? There is no way to call this yet. Not Benson, not Nagin, not the CDC, not the COE...no one. Inflaming the fans on either side of this issue is stupid.

Let the Saints play this miserable season and beat the dead horse later. Show compassion to those who are truly screwed here....the players. They are preparing to hit the road again. 13 of 16 weeks. Tag should be beaten for giving them this schedule.

Carie
10-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Is there a line already for beating tags? If not...I'll start one :)

You're right, there are too many things still up in the air. I don't know how long it would realistically take for SA, or any other city for that matter, to prepare to host them next year. If those talks need to happen now, maybe it's better that they happen in private.

Kip Fanatic
10-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm all for the Saints being here, but I am not holding my breath. San Antonio has always been overlooked when it comes to the NFL having a team here. I can see why too.

I believe that San Antonio can support one, but how much more will the Saints make if they move to L.A? A lot. Its true.

McKenzie
10-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Is there a line already for beating tags? If not...I'll start one :)

You're right, there are too many things still up in the air. I don't know how long it would realistically take for SA, or any other city for that matter, to prepare to host them next year. If those talks need to happen now, maybe it's better that they happen in private.

It really does need to disappear from the headlines. Let's revisit the topic at Christmas. We can hope Santa Claus brings us a great gift. Until then, I'm just going to be sad yet supportive as my team boards a plan every Saturday for the next month plus.

Oh, and I came up with the notion of beating Tag, so I get to take the first whack. LOL

blaze89
10-28-2005, 01:09 PM
It really does need to disappear from the headlines. Let's revisit the topic at Christmas. We can hope Santa Claus brings us a great gift. Until then, I'm just going to be sad yet supportive as my team boards a plan every Saturday for the next month plus.

I don't Hardberger can keep his mouth shut for that long.