PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Players in NBA

thispego
10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I was playing NBA 2k6 with my roommate the other day. He's not a huge basketball fan, but he enjoys the game.
Anyways, i was ripping him up with parker and he starts bitching about TP being a pussy frenchmen and how he never liked Tony in the first place... It was pretty funny, but then he brings up the arguement that all San Antonio does is get foreign guys to come and play for them, and that, for this, they are cheap and unfair.
I commented that foreign players have been playing in the NBA for years now and it is a practice that is hardly limited to SA. He then said that surely SA has the most foreign players... I denied it, but then got to thinking... who has more foreign players on the roster????
ANyone know which team in the NBA has the most foreign players ???

E20
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
San Antonio has the most.

SequSpur
10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
The worst thing that could've ever happened.

thispego
10-26-2005, 08:18 PM
lol, i should have excluded sequ from responding to this topic

E20
10-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Spurs have:
Rasho
Beno
Oberto
Manu
Tony
Marks
Duncan -- If you want to count him.

Am I missing anybody?

thispego
10-26-2005, 08:27 PM
hmmm, 7 foreigners... cant think of any team that rivals that...
damn... foiled again

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Some old info from the beginning of last season ...

On opening night of the 2004-05 season, there were a record 81 international players from 35 different countries and territories on team rosters. The NBA tipped off the 2003-04 season with 73 international players from 35 countries and territories. By comparison, in 1992, the NBA had 21 international players from 18 countries and territories.

For the third consecutive year, six international players took part in the NBA All-Star Game: Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash (Canada), Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki (Germany), Houston Rockets center Yao Ming (China), San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (U.S. Virgin Islands), San Antonio Spurs forward Emanuel Ginobili (Argentina) and Cleveland Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Lithuania)

When the NBA Playoffs 2004 began on April 19, 2004, team rosters featured a record 30 international players from 21 countries and territories. Nearly every team competing in the NBA Playoffs featured one or more international players. The San Antonio Spurs featured five international players, the most of any team.

spurs=bling
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Spurs have:
Rasho
Beno
Oberto
Manu
Tony
Marks
Duncan -- If you want to count him.

Am I missing anybody?

and the years before they had,

Mengke in 03'

and they had that Shane Heal guy, Alex Garcia. and Hedo.

thispego
10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
thanks for the article Kori

bling, nice input, lol