PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Shaq's quotes on Timmy

zhugelianges
01-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Shaq once said Timmy is not in the consideration of the best big men, because he's a power forward.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2653024-shaquille-oneal-says-he-doesnt-consider-tim-duncan-a-big-man

He also said Timmy is the GOAT PF before.
https://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/07/tim_duncan_retires_after_19_se.html

But then he said two months later he's one of the greatest center ever, even better than Shaq himself.
https://airalamo.com/2016/09/14/shaq-lists-tim-duncan-amongst-greatest-centers-nba-history/

So what did Shaq really mean? The contradiction really makes me confused.

Which also drive me crazy is that sometimes Shaq said Timmy is one of the GOAT, but then sometimes he picked guys like Allen Iverson over Timmy.
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/tim-duncan-shaquille-oneal-power-forward-center-shaq-podcast/f0q5jzmlw6y1hvbvqrr53b9t

Man, I am really confused. Anyone could explain?:bang

SpurPadre
01-26-2019, 10:37 PM
Yes. He's a fucking idiot. He can talk about having a bought PhD all he wants, he's ignorant and barely intelligible when he talks.

TheRemix
01-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Shaqs basketball takes are abysmal. I cringe everytime I hear his opinion on inside the NBA. He's only there to crack jokes and throw shade at chuck.

Budkin
01-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Shaqs basketball takes are abysmal. I cringe everytime I hear his opinion on inside the NBA. He's only there to crack jokes and throw shade at chuck.

Other than his Shaqting segments, which basically write themselves, he completely ruined the chemistry of Inside the NBA when he joined.

MASSA
01-26-2019, 11:08 PM
OP taking Shaq seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRVP4fSTSEk

daslicer
01-26-2019, 11:10 PM
Shaq once said Timmy is not in the consideration of the best big men, because he's a power forward.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2653024-shaquille-oneal-says-he-doesnt-consider-tim-duncan-a-big-man

He also said Timmy is the GOAT PF before.
https://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/07/tim_duncan_retires_after_19_se.html

But then he said two months later he's one of the greatest center ever, even better than Shaq himself.
https://airalamo.com/2016/09/14/shaq-lists-tim-duncan-amongst-greatest-centers-nba-history/

So what did Shaq really mean? The contradiction really makes me confused.

Which also drive me crazy is that sometimes Shaq said Timmy is one of the GOAT, but then sometimes he picked guys like Allen Iverson over Timmy.
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/tim-duncan-shaquille-oneal-power-forward-center-shaq-podcast/f0q5jzmlw6y1hvbvqrr53b9t

Man, I am really confused. Anyone could explain?:bang

I learned a very long time ago not to take anything Shaq says seriously. That man is known to be a walking contradiction.

Chinook
01-26-2019, 11:13 PM
OP taking Shaq seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRVP4fSTSEk

I was gonna say that Shaq is an admitted and unashamed liar. A lot of folks have O'Neal as the better player (and it's a better argument than a lot of people here might believe), but I think he's jealous of Tim's success and stability. I think Shaq thinks he's the best "big man" of all time while simultaneously thinking Tim is a better player than him. Only way both of those can be true is if Tim for some reason doesn't count as a big man.

zhugelianges
01-26-2019, 11:19 PM
I learned a very long time ago not to take anything Shaq says seriously. That man is known to be a walking contradiction.
OK Thanks guys, looks like I am so dumb taking Shaq's shit seriously...

daslicer
01-26-2019, 11:21 PM
I was gonna say that Shaq is an admitted and unashamed liar. A lot of folks have O'Neal as the better player (and it's a better argument than a lot of people here might believe), but I think he's jealous of Tim's success and stability. I think Shaq thinks he's the best "big man" of all time while simultaneously thinking Tim is a better player than him. Only way both of those can be true is if Tim for some reason doesn't count as a big man.

I remember many years ago reading a passage from Shaq's autobiography "Shaq talks back" in which he talks about being frustrated with guarding Duncan. In the book I'm paraphrasing but he says he was getting frustrated with guarding Tim because he couldn't stop him and that Phil switched him off of Tim and had him guard Robinson instead. Shaq confronted Phil after the game about it saying he wanted to guard Duncan the whole entire game and Phil responded by saying that Duncan is not a center and that Shaq can't guard power forwards. Shaq then rationalizes in the book to make himself feel better that Duncan is not a center so his role is not to guard him. He also admits being jealous of how Duncan won early in in his career and believes he would also had won early in his career if he had David Robinson.

Chinook
01-26-2019, 11:25 PM
I remember many years ago reading a passage from Shaq's autobiography "Shaq talks back" in which he talks about being frustrated with guarding Duncan. In the book I'm paraphrasing but he says he was getting frustrated with guarding Tim because he couldn't stop him and that Phil switched him off of Tim and had him guard Robinson instead. Shaq confronted Phil after the game about it saying he wanted to guard Duncan the whole entire game and Phil responded by saying that Duncan is not a center and that Shaq can't guard power forwards. Shaq then rationalizes in the book to make himself feel better that Duncan is not a center so his role is not to guard him. He also admits being jealous of how Duncan won early in in his career and believes he would also had won early in his career if he had David Robinson.

I hear he and Dave have buried the hatchet, sort of. I don't think I've seen them together recently, but it's a nice thought if he credits his rival that way. A lot of folks don't even remember Admiral, or they remember him as a non-winner. He was pretty much the CP3 (center form of course) or his day, not the Davis.

SpurPadre
01-26-2019, 11:28 PM

I disagree. Shaq was the biggest beneficiary of non-calls, particularly 3 second violations. He would camp out in the lane time after time. If properly enforced, he wouldn't have been nearly as effective. He was purely a physical specimen and took advantage of situations. Duncan had the better skills, BBIQ, and leadership skills.

BSfromTX
01-26-2019, 11:31 PM
I remember after Shaqs book, they asked David about it..... David was like, “what, he wrote a book?.... is it in crayon?”

daslicer
01-26-2019, 11:32 PM
I remember after Shaqs book, they asked David about it..... David was like, “what, he wrote a book?.... is it in crayon?”

I remember Dave asking if it was a coloring book.

Chinook
01-26-2019, 11:32 PM

Pretty sure Slice is talking about a later book, written in Shaq was older and had already admitted the autograph story was a lie.

daslicer
01-26-2019, 11:35 PM
I hear he and Dave have buried the hatchet, sort of. I don't think I've seen them together recently, but it's a nice thought if he credits his rival that way. A lot of folks don't even remember Admiral, or they remember him as a non-winner. He was pretty much the CP3 (center form of course) or his day, not the Davis.

I enjoyed it when David snubbed Phil Jackson.
sFl1npGvSOk

zhugelianges
01-26-2019, 11:48 PM
sFl1npGvSOk
Can't stop laughing watching this video:lol

Pretty cool move by Dave:hat

BSfromTX
01-26-2019, 11:54 PM
I remember Dave asking if it was a coloring book.

You may be right.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-27-2019, 12:04 AM
Shaq always forgets what he says. You just have to disregard one statement as soon as he makes the next one. But the dude made up a beef with Robinson and then furthered the lie by putting it in a book. Basically all you have to know is that Shaq has major love for Tim Duncan and regards him as one of the best players of all time. But when he says Tim is better, I think Shaq means his post game and foot work specifically.

Spurtacular
01-27-2019, 12:55 AM
sFl1npGvSOk

David should've decked him, tbh.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-27-2019, 11:50 AM
sFl1npGvSOk
:lmao

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-27-2019, 11:51 AM
prime shaq was so dominate physically nobody not even timmy had a prayer of slowing him down

Roscoe P. Coltrane
01-27-2019, 01:04 PM
I hear he and Dave have buried the hatchet, sort of. I don't think I've seen them together recently, but it's a nice thought if he credits his rival that way. A lot of folks don't even remember Admiral, or they remember him as a non-winner. He was pretty much the CP3 (center form of course) or his day, not the Davis.Shaq is full of shit. He didn't like Robinson ever since Robison put up 71 to take the scoring title.

BackHome
01-27-2019, 01:59 PM
David will always be the man but Shit if you had prime David and Shaq playing together they would have wrecked teams that would have been Crazy!!

BSfromTX
01-27-2019, 02:16 PM
prime shaq was so dominate physically nobody not even timmy had a prayer of slowing him down

Prime shaq use to get schooled by prime David. People like Jim Rome influenced how people viewed David unfortunately.. that being said, Dave did lack some nasty to his game. Overalll, though, you can look at their matchups up til David’s foot and back injury and David gave shaq fits.

Shaq knew new he couldn’t compete with David’s quickness and that David had some advantages. He hated David for that, and you can see it whenever Shaq would compliment the dream, Ewing or whoever else but never mention of Dave. David Robinson in his prime was an absolute freak. It’s just too bad he had to play with Vinny, AJ, and the likes as well as have coaches like Tark and Hill.

paperboy77
01-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Prime shaq use to get schooled by prime David. People like Jim Rome influenced how people viewed David unfortunately.. that being said, Dave did lack some nasty to his game. Overalll, though, you can look at their matchups up til David’s foot and back injury and David gave shaq fits.

Shaq knew new he couldn’t compete with David’s quickness and that David had some advantages. He hated David for that, and you can see it whenever Shaq would compliment the dream, Ewing or whoever else but never mention of Dave. David Robinson in his prime was an absolute freak. It’s just too bad he had to play with Vinny, AJ, and the likes as well as have coaches like Tark and Hill.

David had his moments but Shaq did seem to punk him for the most part. DR always took the high road which imo prevented him from true dominance. Still the guy was an all timer in any era. Way ahead of his time for sure.

BatManu20
01-27-2019, 02:24 PM

Some truth to that but TD played him about as well you anyone tbh.

1ZhIJjJOUJ8

Spurs da champs
01-27-2019, 02:27 PM
sFl1npGvSOk

Thank you, I never seen that before. :lmao

look_at_g_shred
01-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Robinson had about the same amount of fire Aldridge has

BackHome
01-27-2019, 03:16 PM
To me you can define fire in different way but for me it’s then will or hating to loose it’s that which separates good from great. To Jordan, to Bird, to Timmy, even to Manu you could tell these players hated to loose any game it didn’t matter to who or playoff vs regular season.

RC_Drunkford
01-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Lakers couldn't defend prime Duncan either. Nobody could. When teams started doubling Duncan he would just kick out to shooters and he's one of the best passing big men ever

Down Under
01-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Prime Shaq was the most dominant player I've seen, but it didn't last long enough, which is understandable if you're going to spend much of your career at 380 pounds.

Chinook
01-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Shaq is full of shit. He didn't like Robinson ever since Robison put up 71 to take the scoring title.

Nah their feud started before then. Robinson tried so hard to beat Shaq because he hated him.

lefty
01-27-2019, 06:09 PM
The only former Laker great who is consistent with his opinions is Kareem

But Magic and Shaq lol

zhugelianges
01-27-2019, 10:11 PM
I disagree. Shaq was the biggest beneficiary of non-calls, particularly 3 second violations. He would camp out in the lane time after time. If properly enforced, he wouldn't have been nearly as effective. He was purely a physical specimen and took advantage of situations. Duncan had the better skills, BBIQ, and leadership skills.
Shaq is such a jerk...Though he's the most dominant force during his prime, some of his moves (in my opinions) were actually offensive foul.

And Shaq is such a jerk on and off the court. See 3:05 of the following clips from ESPN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6xFeBX4MPM

zhugelianges
01-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Shaq is full of shit. He didn't like Robinson ever since Robison put up 71 to take the scoring title.
And he didn't like Nash neither.

Always talked about how Nash did not deserve the 2-peat MVP.

daslicer
01-27-2019, 10:31 PM
Shaq is such a jerk...Though he's the most dominant force during his prime, some of his moves (in my opinions) were actually offensive foul.

And Shaq is such a jerk on and off the court. See 3:05 of the following clips from ESPN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6xFeBX4MPM

:lol Shaq was always a jerk. That's been known for years in here. Just curious how old are you?

YGWHI
01-28-2019, 01:12 AM
Shaq was the physical force, the most exciting player to watch on those days.

But Tim was the best and most complete player.
He was so verstile and talented that he didn't need to rely on athleticism after his knee injury to dominate the league.

007nites
01-28-2019, 02:16 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8IzF1cJ0c

zhugelianges
01-28-2019, 04:20 AM
:lol Shaq was always a jerk. That's been known for years in here. Just curious how old are you?
29, What's the matter:downspin:

Phenomanul
01-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Nah their feud started before then. Robinson tried so hard to beat Shaq because he hated him.

Robinson didn't hate Shaq... he just didn't like playing against him. There is a big difference.

Either way. Robinson routinely punked Shaq on the floor before his back injury and his broken foot. Almost dropped a quad double on Shaq...

Chinook
01-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Robinson didn't hate Shaq...

Yes he did. I mean, I guess maybe not in the sense that he like really wanted to kill him. But there was mutual animosity between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvak2JkvQ_8

Phenomanul
01-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Yes he did. I mean, I guess maybe not in the sense that he like really wanted to kill him. But there was mutual animosity between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvak2JkvQ_8

The semantical difference aside... hate implies immaturity, and I don't believe that David harbored any ill will against Shaq. He was just annoyed that the media kept asking him questions about Shaq over the course of the 90's. You can tell it frayed on him and that he was flustered that the sound-bites just kept flaming the alleged hatred between them... That the media wanted to create a level of animosity that he simply didn't care for.

For example, David was selected starting center over prime Shaq and Olajuwon during the 1996 Olympics and Shaq went on record saying that David didn't deserve that spot - when asked to comment David could've responded in kind or with even a semblance of animosity, but he didn't - Robinson simply said something along the lines of "every player has to think that they are the best of the best, and that such a sentiment about themselves propels them to greatness"... his answer tried to nip further conflict at the bud... again, showing absolute class.

The Admiral's "was it a picture book?" comment though was straight up fitting given that Shaq flat out lied about him in said book.

Edit: Interestingly enough in the "Beef video" you posted the narrator omitted a key fact from the timeline. Shaq didn't voluntarily 'fess up that he had lied about D'Rob. It was offered up as damage control, and he had no choice but to confess his deliberate deceit. Omitting this fact gives Shaq too much credit. Several members of the press including Simmons and Woj investigated the veracity of Shaq's memory. They came to the conclusion that Shaq's statements couldn't possibly be true given the fact that the career timelines of both players did not intersect when Shaq said that they had. That under those circumstances it was IMPOSSIBLE for his anecdote to actually have merit.

TimmyBuckets
01-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Shaq is a petty child. He's hilarious though. Timmy is the best PF ever no question and one of the greatest big men ever no question.
Timmy>Shaq>Admiral

spurraider21
01-28-2019, 01:56 PM
saying "who was better, shaq or tim" isn't the same as "who had better skills/moves." i mean you could say scola has more skills than shaq.

its about results. getting buckets, stops... getting wins.

DMC
01-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Shaq makes statements off the cuff then tries to justify them with poor reasoning. They gave him a Ph.D for it.

daslicer
01-28-2019, 11:59 PM
29, What's the matter:downspin:

Only reason I asked is because you seemed very young since you were shocked at some of the stuff Shaq had said about the Spurs in the past.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Shaq isn't the brightest bulb in the box. I'm not sure he even takes his own quotes seriously.