PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili - Disrespected by the NBA for DWade and Dirk

Gino-Step
02-02-2019, 07:37 AM
In literally every year except for last year, the fan vote selects the starters for the All Star Game and Manu Ginobii had enough fan votes for one of the spots last year. In a cheaply mass marketed league where Manu got no shine, the fans were still aware enough to over the years appreciate the greatness that is Manu Ginobili - something that this league has never appreciated. A 2 time freaking All Star who was bypassed by media for the Finals MVP vote. In any situation where this league got a say, he got disrespected.

So what just happened? This year Silver decides to add an extra roster spot for DWade and Dirk? Total disrespect for the 3rd best SG after MJ and Kobe, and the Greatest International Player of All Time - Emmanuel David Ginobili.

skin27
02-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Lol manu aren’t in the same league as wade and dirk(atleast in the NBA)

wade and dirk Consistently play in the allstar game during their primes While manu managed to get in the All Star just twice in his career..

dirk and wade are superstars of their team(although wade lost that role when Lebron joined the heat) while manu isn’t..

different story in international play though..

SpursDynasty85
02-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Who cares they want to celebrate these two? They are all time greats. This doesnt diminish what Ginobili did. People just have differing opinions than you. Most put these two way ahead of Ginobili. It's just how it is.

Biernutz
02-02-2019, 08:10 AM
By Silver giving Dirk and Wade a all star spot just shows that that all star voting means nothing.
The game is a total joke that doesn’t reward league play. It lets players in the game who have
not played half the games this year and not having a good year. Why don’t they just let the pimp
sports writers and ESPN pick the teams. While they are at it how about giving ESPN a $100,000,000
fine for saying day after days that all the stars should go to Los Angeles or New York on all their shows.

John B
02-02-2019, 08:43 AM

wade and dirk Consistently play in the allstar game during their primes While manu managed to get in the All Star just twice in his career..

dirk and wade are superstars of their team(although wade lost that role when Lebron joined the heat) while manu isn’t..

different story in international play though..
Manu getting only 2x ASG doesn’t mean he’s any less. He agreed to play from the bench helped get 4x championship. Anywhere else he’s a starter and could’ve gone to ASG every year.

skin27
02-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Manu getting only 2x ASG doesn’t mean he’s any less. He agreed to play from the bench helped get 4x championship. Anywhere else he’s a starter and could’ve gone to ASG every year.

It is what it is..you can’t change the fact that wade and dirk are on the higher status than manu..

hater
02-02-2019, 08:54 AM
:lmao comparing manu to hof legends like wade and dirk :lmao

John B
02-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Manu is 1st vote HOF. He has done more in basketball than Dirk and Wade, if you’re talking HOF and not just NBA.

paperboy77
02-02-2019, 09:04 AM
It is what it is..you can’t change the fact that wade and dirk are on the higher status than manu..

I can understand op’s ire but I’m no gonna sweat that. Manu never really got the love he deserved.

Although Wade and Dirk were great and should be celebrated neither were as awesome come big games and for so long. They were but not like Gino. Especially Wade that guy hasn’t really been relevant for some time. Dirk even a few yrs ago was involved in some big games. (This is what I remember.)

I would definitely “go to war” with Manu before Wade or Dirk. If your being serious... wouldn’t you?

cd021
02-02-2019, 09:04 AM
Manu is 1st vote HOF. He has done more in basketball than Dirk and Wade, if you’re talking HOF and not just NBA.

Man, I disagree that he has done more than Dirk for sure.

RD2191
02-02-2019, 09:05 AM

No, they're not. Manu is one of the most influential players of his generation. Get that garbage outta here. :lol

John B
02-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Man, I disagree that he has done more than Dirk for sure.
Again HOF not NBA okay? Manu has 10 medals, including 5 gold, one of which Olympics. Dirk, 2 medals, no gold. And Manu was not just collecting medals, he was the leader of that Argentinian team. NBA, he chose to be sixth man. Who knows with some other team and if he played stats-padding, and we would never have this argument.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-02-2019, 09:28 AM
further diminishes all star selections as a measure of greatness, overall

but no need to cry for manu specifically

*actually watering down all stars may help manus resume a bit because he only got two ...

SPURt
02-02-2019, 10:14 AM
They should bring back the legends game at all star weeken if they’re gonna start doing this.

BillMc
02-02-2019, 10:27 AM
The precedent set is interesting. If Dirk and DWade get a honorary All-Star do all future greats get one? And will there be controversy when one is not given one? It's a bit of a Pandora's box. Not Manu so much, but where was TD's final bow All-Star appearance. If the argument is TD didn't announce his retirement in advance, well, neither has Dirk.

In the big picture I don't care. All-NBA is more important than All-Star but for some reason the later is mentioned more often in career retrospectives.

KDKSpurs24
02-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Well.. in all types of businesses people have meetings each year and discuss things. Some things take time to be created. Ever heard someone say “They didn’t have that when I was in school”? Sometimes you were just born too early and certain types of new management finally allow different factors to be acceptable. (I know it’s just basketball and not all that deep but this is just how things have been).

With that being said, I don’t really agree with this. I may agree with Wade since he announced it was his last season but Dirk didn’t.. so how often is this gonna happen?

Ive been saying that I wanted it to increase to 13 all star spots since you can dress 13 players in a real game now. But I didn’t want that 13th spot to be for honorable mention type players..

DMC
02-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Shows that there are no "names" this year outside the big 3 of KD, Steph and Lebron. All these other guys like AD and anyone from the East is really just undercard bouts trying to fill the role of superstars. I mean, who gives a fuck about anyone on the 76ers or KAT? Who gives a fuck about Kawhi Leonard? Jokic?

Silver is trying to get interest in the game. There's no interest.

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Dirk only got in to make it less suspicious that Wade got selected, tbh..nobody that cares about the ASG wants to watch Dirk:lol

John B
02-02-2019, 11:00 AM
How about Vinsanity, half-man, half-amazing. Is he being snobbed also?

02-02-2019, 11:01 AM
AS game is a meaningless accolade, and shouldn’t bolster or diminish a player’s resume

bigfan
02-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Who gives a rats ass about the All Star game? Manu is a first round Basketball Hall of Famer (Dirk is as well).

daslicer
02-02-2019, 11:17 AM
No, they're not. Manu is one of the most influential players of his generation. Get that garbage outta here. :lol

Allen Iverson was more influential on the players of his generation than Tim Duncan was. It's because of AI you have a bunch of undersized SG's that now play the PG position. With that being said nobody would be stupid enough to say AI has higher status than Duncan as a player. Wade and Dirk status wise on the all-time great list are both clearly ahead of Manu.

diego
02-02-2019, 11:29 AM
The precedent set is interesting. If Dirk and DWade get a honorary All-Star do all future greats get one? And will there be controversy when one is not given one? It's a bit of a Pandora's box. Not Manu so much, but where was TD's final bow All-Star appearance. If the argument is TD didn't announce his retirement in advance, well, neither has Dirk.

In the big picture I don't care. All-NBA is more important than All-Star but for some reason the later is mentioned more often in career retrospectives.

Exactly. What happens if Dirk comes back next year, another honorary spot?

And the bigger issue is that as selections matter for endorsements, performance clauses, Hof induction etc

Chris Fall
02-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Manu still contemplating playing this season through much of the summer. Dirk and Wade announced that this would be their last season before or near the beginning of the season. Vince Carter may yet play another season the way he’s going. It’s the fact they announced it would be their last season that likely triggered this feeling that they should participate in the ASG, which btw I don’t agree with the decision. And I’m not saying Silver would have done it for Manu. But it is different circumstances.

Capt Bringdown
02-02-2019, 12:49 PM
As an NBA player, Manu does not belong in the same group that DWade and Dirk belong in. You could make a case for international basketball competitions, but this in the NBA.
/sorted

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2019, 12:54 PM
As an NBA player, Manu does not belong in the same group that DWade and Dirk belong in. You could make a case for international basketball competitions, but this in the NBA.
/sorted

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Manu still contemplating playing this season through much of the summer. Dirk and Wade announced that this would be their last season before or near the beginning of the season. Vince Carter may yet play another season the way he’s going. It’s the fact they announced it would be their last season that likely triggered this feeling that they should participate in the ASG, which btw I don’t agree with the decision. And I’m not saying Silver would have done it for Manu. But it is different circumstances.

Plus haven’t Wade and Dirk stated that this is for sure their last season? By doing so that have advocated for a sendoff tour. The NBA didn’t know when manus last year was going to be and Manu never publicly stated that it was his last season.
Dirk never announced this was his last season. Both of you need your facts straight. He just sucks so bad that everyone thinks it is.

God damn shame that he got an all star appearence closer to Tim's hard earned 15 though

DAF86
The two times Manu made the ASG are the only two seasons he played more as a starter than as a sub. Coincidence?

DesignatedT
Plus haven’t Wade and Dirk stated that this is for sure their last season? By doing so that have advocated for a sendoff tour. The NBA didn’t know when manus last year was going to be and Manu never publicly stated that it was his last season.

Chris Fall
02-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Dirk never announced this was his last season. Both of you need your facts straight. He just sucks so bad that everyone thinks it is.

God damn shame that he got an all star appearence closer to Tim's hard earned 15 though

My mistake that he didn’t formally announce it. But everyone knows he’s retiring after the season. He’s accepted retirement gifts. Every time he plays in a road game, he gets cheered by opposing fans. Of course he’s retiring. It’s a disingenuous argument to think he’s not just for the sake of using it in a Manu debate. He also said a while back that he did NOT want a retirement tour, and that’s likely the reason he didn’t formally announce it.

I don’t like him and Wade getting added since now they’re both bench players. But it’s the fucking all star game. People shouldn’t care that much anyway. You think Manu cares?

MoSpur02
02-02-2019, 01:10 PM
First of all Manu is a HOFer for sure. No doubt. He has 4 rings and his gold medal among other accomplishments. However, he wasn't disrespected by the NBA. Wade and Dirk have pretty much made it known that this is their last season. Manu didn't decide until after the season was over that he was done. There was no way of knowing if he was done.

Dirk and Wade are more accomplished than Manu in the NBA when it comes to stats, but Manu will get into the HOF just like they are.

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2019, 01:11 PM
My mistake that he didn’t formally announce it. But everyone knows he’s retiring after the season. He’s accepted retirement gifts. Every time he plays in a road game, he gets cheered by opposing fans. Of course he’s retiring. It’s a disingenuous argument to think he’s not just for the sake of using it in a Manu debate. He also said a while back that he did NOT want a retirement tour, and that’s likely the reason he didn’t formally announce it.

I don’t like him and Wade getting added since now they’re both bench players. But it’s the fucking all star game. People shouldn’t care that much anyway. You think Manu cares?
Manu doesn't care. He already got gifted two all star appearances over Parker who was putting up more points and assists in both years. Just hope they treat Tony the same. He's had a better career than Wade.

Capt Bringdown
02-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Besides LBJ and Ray Allen, who else benefited more from catastrophic Manu fuck-ups more than DWade and Dirk? Perhaps this is what makes the Manu fanbois salty about this year's All-star snub?
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/45/24/27/9782740/3/rawImage.jpg

TheGoatishere
02-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Manu isn’t in the same class as Wade and Dirk:lmao

both of them are top 25 all time

DAF86
02-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Manu isn’t in the same class as Wade and Dirk:lmao

both of them are top 25 all time

In terms of personal stats and accolades in the NBA he might not be. As a basketball player Manu is definitely on that second tier where Dirk and Wade are, right behind the GOATS like MJ, Timmy, Lebron, etc.

lilbthebasedgod
02-02-2019, 02:14 PM
lol

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2019, 02:16 PM
:lol Manure fans

That Guatemalan wasn't even second tier on his own team

Xx_SpursNation_xX
02-02-2019, 02:29 PM
'Member when he fouled Dirk

DAF86
02-02-2019, 02:31 PM
I know it isn't a popular opinion, but I just know that's how it is, tbh.

If OKC's ownership wasn't cheap, Harden would have spent his entire career like Manu did. Stupid fucks would probably still be saying that Westbrook is a better player than him. :lol

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Harden is twice the player Manu ever was. Don't know why playerfans keep going with this agenda that they're somehow equals....

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Listing their accolades doesn't make sense here..the ASG is a popularity contest, the NBA is giving the fans what they want..

Manu is significantly more popular than Dirk, so that's what the argument would be in that regard..

Ultimately, they're doing this because LeBron wants Wade in the game, though..

Proxy
02-02-2019, 03:12 PM
this VC's last year too or no?

spurs10
02-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame here Manu's comes. I think on March 28th, or the day after, they will need to do work on the roof and the foundation of the AT&T Center. It's gonna be fun....and intense!
:flag:

SpurPadre
02-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Notice how Vince Carter didn't get an honorary spot despite being somewhat of a legend?

Mugen
02-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Pretty crazy that in his last year, Timmy was anchoring an all-time defense on one knee en route to winning 65+ games....

Even Manu at times was carrying a team composed of mostly scrubs outside of LMA to a playoff berth, even managing to get a playoff win against one of the greatest teams of all time in the Dubs....

Dirk/Wade are obviously all-timers but the league and their respective lottery teams are practically begging them to retire at the end of this year :lol

Barfunk
02-02-2019, 04:46 PM
The two times Manu made the ASG are the only two seasons he played more as a starter than as a sub. Coincidence?

This. Pop is to blame (having him come off the bench his entire career, when he was clearly a starter) for Manu's subpar NBA stats. That fact is plain as day. But at the end of the day it was a double edged sword, because we got 4 rings out of it.

DAF86
02-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Harden is twice the player Manu ever was. Don't know why playerfans keep going with this agenda that they're somehow equals....

Yet you wouldn't be saying this if Harden spent his entire career as a 6th man in OKC.

kjhip1
02-02-2019, 05:26 PM

I would take prime Manu vs prime Harden any day off the week, twice on Sundays. Manu played with wreckless abandonment and played both sides of the ball at a high level.

Down Under
02-02-2019, 06:00 PM
You could say the same thing about Pau tbh. I mean everyone hates him now, but from his rookie year, until the Lakers 2nd Championship, dude was one of the very best (probably the best during the Lakers run) bigs in the league.

DAF86
02-02-2019, 06:28 PM
You could say the same thing about Pau tbh. I mean everyone hates him now, but from his rookie year, until the Lakers 2nd Championship, dude was one of the very best (probably the best during the Lakers run) bigs in the league.

Pau isn't retiring after this season.

Millennial_Messiah
02-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Dogface Dirk was always overrated AF. Then there was that stretch circa 2006-2008 where you literally couldn't breathe on that faggot without sending him to the line for 2 free throws

Spurtacular
02-02-2019, 08:11 PM

Agreed. He's definitely in a higher stratosphere.

Shakril
02-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Manu is a Spurs Legend, but in all of NBA Manu was not top notch player like Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett. Dirk and Wade are in that category. Also both of them are playing in the NBA right now, Manu not. Why should he be in Allstar game in the first place.

DAF86
02-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Manu is a Spurs Legend, but in all of NBA Manu was not top notch player like Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett. Dirk and Wade are in that category. Also both of them are playing in the NBA right now, Manu not. Why should he be in Allstar game in the first place.

Dirk and Wade aren't on the same tier than Duncan, tbh.

skin27
02-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Notice how Vince Carter didn't get an honorary spot despite being somewhat of a legend?

Because he became an nba journey man.. and carter did not win a ring..

Mikeanaro
02-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Lol Manu performed at high level until the end, while these 2 shitstains are 5-year corpses.
Who cares? Manu was better, not even close.

Mikeanaro
02-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Allen Iverson was more influential on the players of his generation than Tim Duncan was. It's because of AI you have a bunch of undersized SG's that now play the PG position. With that being said nobody would be stupid enough to say AI has higher status than Duncan as a player. Wade and Dirk status wise on the all-time great list are both clearly ahead of Manu.
Thats crazy, it has nothing to do with AI...
If a player has speed balls and good shooting is not because of Iverson...
There is not a trend, we dont have 30 starting midget SG´s .
It has to do with game being small-ball oriented, fast plays, 3 pointers no defense.
Wade is ahead because he won a ring getting 40 fts per game, and Dirk because he is a loser with one ring, gotcha.

Mikeanaro
02-02-2019, 11:03 PM
'Member when he fouled Dirk
I still remember how Dirk chocked the whole finals, and kicked a chair like it was his mother.

jbspurs
02-02-2019, 11:06 PM
In literally every year except for last year, the fan vote selects the starters for the All Star Game and Manu Ginobii had enough fan votes for one of the spots last year. In a cheaply mass marketed league where Manu got no shine, the fans were still aware enough to over the years appreciate the greatness that is Manu Ginobili - something that this league has never appreciated. A 2 time freaking All Star who was bypassed by media for the Finals MVP vote. In any situation where this league got a say, he got disrespected.

So what just happened? This year Silver decides to add an extra roster spot for DWade and Dirk? Total disrespect for the 3rd best SG after MJ and Kobe, and the Greatest International Player of All Time - Emmanuel David Ginobili.

You also have to consider, Ginobili himself wasn't sure if he was going to retire after last season. Wade and Dirk pretty much decided this will be their last season playing in the NBA.

skin27
02-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Manu doesn't care. He already got gifted two all star appearances over Parker who was putting up more points and assists in both years. Just hope they treat Tony the same. He's had a better career than Wade.

parker and manu aren’t in the same league as wade and dirk..

they are just the side kicks’s of Duncan

HarlemHeat37
02-02-2019, 11:17 PM
You also have to consider, Ginobili himself wasn't sure if he was going to retire after last season. Wade and Dirk pretty much decided this will be their last season playing in the NBA.

Dirk hasn't said anything IIRC..he's just so bad that people are assuming that this is his last year:lol

skin27
02-02-2019, 11:19 PM
I would take prime Manu vs prime Harden any day off the week, twice on Sundays. Manu played with wreckless abandonment and played both sides of the ball at a high level.

lol harden is way better than manu offensively..winning the MVP ends the argument..tbh..

Mikeanaro
02-02-2019, 11:29 PM
lol harden is way better than manu offensively..winning the MVP ends the argument..tbh..
And who cares about that?
Harden couldnt even fool a 40 year old Manu in the playoffs.
Any clown can take 60 shots per night, BTW, how is prime Harden´s team doing this season?, HE IS SCORING 60!!!!
THATS HoFer CALIBER!
I WANT HIS FACE PRINTED IN MY COFFEE CUP!
I WANT HIS BOBBLEHEAD!

jbspurs
02-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Dirk hasn't said anything IIRC..he's just so bad that people are assuming that this is his last year:lol

That's true!

skin27
02-02-2019, 11:41 PM
And who cares about that?
Harden couldnt even fool a 40 year old Manu in the playoffs.
Any clown can take 60 shots per night, BTW, how is prime Harden´s team doing this season?, HE IS SCORING 60!!!!
THATS HoFer CALIBER!
I WANT HIS FACE PRINTED IN MY COFFEE CUP!
I WANT HIS BOBBLEHEAD!

lol manu benefited playing alongside top tier hall of famer tim duncan..

harden’s MVP ends the argument..tbh..

Mikeanaro
02-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Manu won by himself on other teams.
Harden benefited makin more FT´s than actual FG in his career, and getting infinite whistles.

That ends any argument.

skin27
02-02-2019, 11:46 PM
Harden benefited makin more FT´s than actual FG in his career, and getting infinite whistles.

That ends any argument.

really manu won the MVP? When?lol

he did not even get to all nba first team his entire career

Mikeanaro
02-02-2019, 11:59 PM

Harden led an Olympic team with a bunch of scrubs to Gold?
As I said before, he is a marketing clown hyped by deaf people like you.
They can stick all those media awards in the ass.

But ok, if that helps you sleep better.
Fantasy bb.

skin27
02-03-2019, 12:01 AM
Harden led an Olympic team with a bunch of scrubs to Gold?
As I said before, he is a marketing clown hyped by deaf people like you.
They can stick all those media awards in the ass.

But ok, if that helps you sleep better.
Fantasy bb.

yeah..harden won the gold medal too..and he was young back then..

and besides we’re talking about NBA

like I said harden’s MVP ends the argument..

K...
02-03-2019, 12:04 AM

Watching the two players ought to end the argument. Manu did more sophisticated moves than harden or wade. If you value basketball as an art Manu is top 50. Wade only brought hgh and harden is benefiting from a different era. Unless you want to knock Manu for his injuries, he is on par with the second nd tier all time guards.

The arg good medal is much bigger than the mvp which is a popularity contest. Fucjing casuals

K...
02-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Harden played with three hof players (durant, west, and cp3). Zero titles. One appearance. Durant will be on Duncan's level when he retires.

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 12:13 AM

like I said harden’s MVP ends the argument..
He was the main dog? thats news to me.
Never happened.
One more time

That ends any argument.

And old Manu did more in the playoffs than prime Harden (playoffs belong to the NBA you know)

Scoring in the meaningless season to get a dumb media award has no real value whatsoever.

So Im sorry but Manu did a lot more than Hardie, he even brought the Euro step that James love to use.

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 12:15 AM
Harden played with three hof players (durant, west, and cp3). Zero titles. One appearance. Durant will be on Duncan's level when he retires.
Harden choked in the finals.
Durant joined a 73 win team, I doubt he will ever be on Duncan´s level on any serious conversation.

skin27
02-03-2019, 12:23 AM
He was the main dog? thats news to me.
Never happened.
One more time

That ends any argument.

And old Manu did more in the playoffs than prime Harden (playoffs belong to the NBA you know)

Scoring in the meaningless season to get a dumb media award has no real value whatsoever.

So Im sorry but Manu did a lot more than Hardie, he even brought the Euro step that James love to use.

harden is a superstar of his team while manu isn’t..we’re talking about the nba..

winning the MVP is a big deal because you are the best player in that season..manu never won an NBA MVP award..

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 12:31 AM
harden is a superstar of his team while manu isn’t..we’re talking about the nba..

winning the MVP is a big deal because you are the best player in that season..manu never won an NBA MVP award..
Winning the MVP is not a big deal, is a media award.
Westbrook won one by killing his own team and finishing with a 6th seed, is that something unique to you?

Big deal is winning championships against strong teams during different eras, even when you are old and they young.
MVP Curry put a nice show sinking 3´s to win one, then choked the whole Finals, what a clown.

DAF86
02-03-2019, 01:08 AM

Manu's greatest accomplishment of his career came playing against that top tier Hall of famer, tbh.

DAF86
02-03-2019, 01:13 AM
It really is sad that Manu being such a selfless player has led even Spursfans to underrate him. One would guess that at least them would be able to fight the right cause and defend his greatness.

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 01:18 AM
It really is sad that Manu being such a selfless player has led even Spursfans to underrate him. One would guess that at least them would be able to fight the right cause and defend his greatness.
They are not real Spurfans, they are salty fans from SA that would kill to have a big market franchise with all the bells and whistles, and free championships.
While their own team won every ring by playing great and getting no bullshit calls, they still prefer getting cheap calls and fake media recognition rather than having something genuine.

skin27
02-03-2019, 01:26 AM
Winning the MVP is not a big deal, is a media award.
Westbrook won one by killing his own team and finishing with a 6th seed, is that something unique to you?

Big deal is winning championships against strong teams during different eras, even when you are old and they young.
MVP Curry put a nice show sinking 3´s to win one, then choked the whole Finals, what a clown.

lol discrediting the MVP award..MVP is a big deal men..and its not a popularity contest like the allstar..you have to have the stats and winning record to win that award..lol..winning the MVP means you are the best player for that particular season..manu never won an NBA MVP or even got selected to all nba first team..

skin27
02-03-2019, 01:29 AM
Manu's greatest accomplishment of his career came playing against that top tier Hall of famer, tbh.

but he’s not the superstar of his team..lol

he and parker are just a sidekick of Duncan

if manu played for other team I doubt he can win an NBA title..

look at parker now in Charlotte

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 01:38 AM
lol discrediting the MVP award..MVP is a big deal men..and its not a popularity contest like the allstar..you have to have the stats and winning record to win that award..lol..winning the MVP means you are the best player for that particular season..manu never won an NBA MVP or even got selected to all nba first team..
Its picked by media, they are the ones that tell you whats good/bad based on nothing, the same that said Raymond Green/Dwert was an elite defender.
When you say winning record a 6th seed is good enough?And he did it on purpose shutting his own team down to have some stupid stat that was forced as shit.
Arguments against Westbrook as MVP

Has annihilated previous records for usage (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&force%3Apos_is=1&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=30&c6mult=1.0&order_by=usg_pct). No one has had as many possessions as he has in NBA history
Shooting 42.5 percent from the field, 34.0 percent from 3-point range. Not the most efficient shooter.
Second in total turnovers, and turnovers per 100 possessions
Leads the league in uncontested rebounds. (Note: Westbrook is second among players under 6-foot-7 in contested rebounds per game via NBA.com)
Shooting efficiency not comparable to other candidates
Worst record of other leading candidates
On-court net rating worst of leading candidates
Clearly does pursue his triple-double. (Note: Westbrook has 10 assists and 10 rebounds only in the final three minutes of a game where OKC leads by at least 10, per Basketball Reference. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/event_finder.cgi?request=1&event_code=ast&year_id=2017&is_playoffs=N&quarter=4&time_remain_quarter=0-3&margin=11-99&player_id=westbru01)).

Winning the MVP only means that the press handpicked you and thats it, specially in this pussy NBA era.

And worst case scenario its a regular season award, who cares?

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 01:40 AM
but he’s not the superstar of his team..lol

he and parker are just a sidekick of Duncan

if manu played for other team I doubt he can win an NBA title..

look at parker now in Charlotte
Parker is almost 37 years old, wtf.

Manu was the real FMVP in 2005.
So who cares about your labels?

skin27
02-03-2019, 01:44 AM
Parker is almost 37 years old, wtf.

Manu was the real FMVP in 2005.
So who cares about your labels?

lol finals mvp? We’re talking about NBA MVP..

iguodala won finals MVP so that mean’s he’s Better than curry? Lol

Stop making what if’s scenario..lol

manu did not win an Finals MVP let alone NBA MVP..it’s a fact

duncan got selected in all nba first team when he was 37 years old..

DAF86
02-03-2019, 01:48 AM

duncan got selected in all nba first team when he was 37 years old..

Would have Harden won regular season MVP if he stayed in OKC?

Mikeanaro

When it really matters Iguodala was better than Curry, Iguodala playing like shit during the closer would result in Cavs winning the championship, can you understand that?

Manu did not have it because 14 years ago it would have been too much to give it to a 6th man who was also an Argie.

How old are you? 4?

skin27
Its picked by media, they are the ones that tell you whats good/bad based on nothing, the same that said Raymond Green/Dwert was an elite defender.
When you say winning record a 6th seed is good enough?And he did it on purpose shutting his own team down to have some stupid stat that was forced as shit.
Arguments against Westbrook as MVP

Has annihilated previous records for usage (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&force%3Apos_is=1&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=30&c6mult=1.0&order_by=usg_pct). No one has had as many possessions as he has in NBA history
Shooting 42.5 percent from the field, 34.0 percent from 3-point range. Not the most efficient shooter.
Second in total turnovers, and turnovers per 100 possessions
Leads the league in uncontested rebounds. (Note: Westbrook is second among players under 6-foot-7 in contested rebounds per game via NBA.com)
Shooting efficiency not comparable to other candidates
Worst record of other leading candidates
On-court net rating worst of leading candidates
Clearly does pursue his triple-double. (Note: Westbrook has 10 assists and 10 rebounds only in the final three minutes of a game where OKC leads by at least 10, per Basketball Reference. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/event_finder.cgi?request=1&event_code=ast&year_id=2017&is_playoffs=N&quarter=4&time_remain_quarter=0-3&margin=11-99&player_id=westbru01)).

Winning the MVP only means that the press handpicked you and thats it, specially in this pussy NBA era.

And worst case scenario its a regular season award, who cares?

westbrooks’s stats in 2017 was a deal breaker..averaging triple double for a season is really hard to achieve..that’s why they give him the MVP award..if westbrook did not average triple double that season ,,harden or kawhi should have won it

manu never average 20pts a game in a single season..lol

DAF86
02-03-2019, 01:49 AM
westbrooks’s stats in 2017 was a deal breaker..averaging triple double for a season is really hard to achieve..that’s why they give him the MVP award..if westbrook did not average triple double that season ,,harden or kawhi should have win it

Westbrook is averaging a triple double this season and nobody gives a shit.

skin27
02-03-2019, 01:51 AM
Westbrook is averaging a triple double this season and nobody gives a shit.

but his points is down by 10pts compared in 2017..and he has George now who He share the limelight ..

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 01:52 AM
westbrooks’s stats in 2017 was a deal breaker..averaging triple double for a season is really hard to achieve..that’s why they give him the MVP award..if westbrook did not average triple double that season ,,harden or kawhi should have won it

manu never average 20pts a game in a single season..lol
Manu wasnt a selfish ballhogger.
Lol comparing Manu with WB.

AVG a trip double and finishing 6th is not hard, and its meaningless anyway.

DAF86
02-03-2019, 01:52 AM
but his points is down by 10pts compared in 2017..and he has George now that stealing the limelight from him..

So it wasn't really the triple double that got him the MVP?

skin27
02-03-2019, 01:53 AM
So it wasn't really the triple double that got him the MVP? it was..and he was carrying the thunder alone..

DAF86
02-03-2019, 01:55 AM
it was..and he was carrying the thunder alone..

If it was the triple double then why isn't he being talked for MVP now?

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 01:56 AM

skin27
02-03-2019, 01:58 AM

because he has George now..and his points are down compared to 2017..in 2017 he carried the thunder to 6th seed alone with his 31/10/10

skin27
02-03-2019, 02:00 AM
Harden>>>>>manu

DAF86
02-03-2019, 02:00 AM
because he has George now..and his points are down compared to 2017..in 2017 he carried the thunder to 6th seed alone with his 31/10/10

So, it wasn't really about the triple double. It was about the 30 ppg triple double and the narrative that he had no help although he had Oladipo (a top 20 player in the NBA) next to him.

DAF86
02-03-2019, 02:02 AM
If Oladipo stayed in OKC folks will probably still think he's a scrub. That's how much circumstances play a part on a players' legacy.

skin27
02-03-2019, 02:03 AM
So, it wasn't really about the triple double. It was about the 30 ppg triple double and the narrative that he had no help although he had Oladipo (a top 20 player in the NBA) next to him.

yup..but triple double help him beat out harden and kawhi despite harden’s and kawhi’s team had the better record

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 02:03 AM
So?
Jordan had Pip
Lebron Wade
Durant WB
Bird McHale
Curry Thompson etc.

K...
02-03-2019, 02:06 AM
LMAO, the MVP award is dumb because the warriors have the two best players yet can't win every year so it goes to guys like harden, west, and giannis. And from 2008 to 2015 lebron was the true MVP every year. It's a really dumb award!

Basically, as a Spurs fan you need to hate the mvp because Duncan didn't get enough. If MVP is all you care about than you're a kobestan.

skin27
02-03-2019, 02:07 AM
LMAO, the MVP award is dumb because the warriors have the two best players yet can't win every year so it goes to guys like harden, west, and giannis. And from 2008 to 2015 lebron was the true MVP every year. It's a really dumb award!

Basically, as a Spurs fan you need to hate the mvp because Duncan didn't get enough. If MVP is all you care about than you're a kobestan.

lol duncan won 2 MVP while kobe only one..lol

skin27
02-03-2019, 02:09 AM
So?
Jordan had Pip
Lebron Wade
Durant WB
Bird McHale
Curry Thompson etc.

?lol

daslicer
02-03-2019, 02:14 AM

MYP is a legit award. Not even MJ in his prime got it every year. I would say Rose and Durant both deserved the award in 2011 and 2014. I do believe Duncan was robbed of it in '99 and should have got it but the other years he wasn't robbed. I thought he would have gotten it in '05 had he not gotten that serious grade 3 ankle injury that kept him out for nearly 2 months towards the end of the year. Westbrook and Malone in '99 are the only 2 guys in the last 30 some years I felt weren't deserving of that award. Name me some other people who didn't deserve it besides those 2.

skin27
02-03-2019, 02:17 AM
Lol @ people downgrading MVP award because their favorite player did not win it or even chave a chance to win it..

skin27
02-03-2019, 02:19 AM
MYP is a legit award. Not even MJ in his prime got it every year. I would say Rose and Durant both deserved the award in 2011 and 2014. I do believe Duncan was robbed of it in '99 and should have got it but the other years he wasn't robbed. I thought he would have gotten it in '05 had he not gotten that serious grade 3 ankle injury that kept him out for nearly 2 months towards the end of the year. Westbrook and Malone in '99 are the only 2 guys in the last 30 some years I felt weren't deserving of that award. Name me some other people who didn't deserve it besides those 2.

If not because of westbrook triple double..harden should have won it..

daslicer
02-03-2019, 02:26 AM
If not because of westbrook triple double..harden should have won it..

I thought #2 tbh deserved the MVP that year and then Harden after him. Anyways the MVP usually goes to a top 5 player. The best player in the league doesn't always get it every year due to certain factors such as team record, and having a season that's not as good as his previous MVP season. I can never recall a time where Manu was a top 5 player in the league. I despise Harden and hate his game but there is no doubt that he's a top 5 player in the league.

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 02:26 AM
?lol
Originally Posted by DAF86 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9694647#post9694647)

Originally Posted by Skin27 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9694647#post9694647)

Originally Posted by Mikeanaro (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9694656#post9694656)
So?
Jordan had Pip
Lebron Wade
Durant WB
Bird McHale
Curry Thompson etc.

Originally Posted by skin27 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9694649#post9694649)
?lol

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 02:31 AM
I thought #2 tbh deserved the MVP that year and then Harden after him. Anyways the MVP usually goes to a top 5 player. The best player in the league doesn't always get it every year due to certain factors such as team record, and having a season that's not as good as his previous MVP season. I can never recall a time where Manu was a top 5 player in the league. I despise Harden and hate his game but there is no doubt that he's a top 5 player in the league.
Manu only was a top 5 player when it was about winning championships, regular season is not much specially when you are a team player, not a ballhogger.

daslicer
02-03-2019, 02:35 AM
Manu only was a top 5 player when it was about winning championships, regular season is not much specially when you are a team player, not a ballhogger.

Outside of the '05 playoff run I would not say for the other playoff runs that Manu was a top 5 player during the playoffs.

Mikeanaro
02-03-2019, 02:41 AM
Outside of the '05 playoff run I would not say for the other playoff runs that Manu was a top 5 player during the playoffs.
You think Duncan won everything by himself?
If you have 2 teams on each playoff series from 2003 to 2018 and you think Manu doesnt deserve to be in the top 5, even in the finals...
Well then there is not much to say.

kaji157
02-03-2019, 02:50 AM
If anything it diminishes the meaning of being an all Star. It doesn't diminishes Manu at all.

skin27
02-03-2019, 03:09 AM

I’ll give harden the nod slightly

harden = 29/8.1/11.2 55-27 team record
leonard = 25/5.8/3.5 61-21 team record

ElNono
02-03-2019, 03:21 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/8f/e8/578fe8b18caf4ca77b4f94754a044924.gif

RC_Drunkford
02-03-2019, 06:47 AM
Ginobili is obviously in the same tier as D. Wade. Even ESPN retards like Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith admit that in the 2000s era Kobe, Wade and Manu were the top 3 SGs

NameLess Scrub
02-03-2019, 06:54 AM
This. Pop is to blame (having him come off the bench his entire career, when he was clearly a starter) for Manu's subpar NBA stats. That fact is plain as day. But at the end of the day it was a double edged sword, because we got 4 rings out of it.

Yes, and also it probably extended Manu's career and productivity.

Yet you wouldn't be saying this if Harden spent his entire career as a 6th man in OKC.

I think this is possible.. D'Antoni also seems to have a role in Harden's development by giving him more freedom and the PG role.

OKC should've probably decided on Harden when they saw WB used to take more shots than KD :lol , but then again they probably didn't think he could play PG.

NameLess Scrub
02-03-2019, 07:02 AM

I’ll give harden the nod slightly

harden = 29/8.1/11.2 55-27 team record
leonard = 25/5.8/3.5 61-21 team record

I think Kawhi's defense should have given him the nod,, but he wasn't as popular. Also Westbrook must be like top 3 worst MVP of all time considering he got it by stat padding on a 6th seed team.

I also thought Dwight could've won it over Rose in 2011. LeBron too but it was his first superteam year so he obviously was going to get a negative effect MVP wise.

skin27
02-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Ginobili is obviously in the same tier as D. Wade. Even ESPN retards like Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith admit that in the 2000s era Kobe, Wade and Manu were the top 3 SGs

maybe wade..but dirk? No..difference between wade and ginobili is wade had experience being the superstar of his team 2009 and 2010

wade also had a better stats than manu

manu never average 20pts a game in a season his entire career..his best was 19.5 ppg in 2007-2008 season where he won 6th man of the year..

skin27
02-03-2019, 07:09 AM
I think Kawhi's defense should have given him the nod,, but he wasn't as popular. Also Westbrook must be like top 3 worst MVP of all time considering he got it by stat padding on a 6th seed team.

I also thought Dwight could've won it over Rose in 2011. LeBron too but it was his first superteam year so he obviously was going to get a negative effect MVP wise.

defense is irrelevant in MVP award..there’s an award for that(dpoy)

TMTTRIO
02-03-2019, 09:08 AM
It doesn't help that Manu played for a team like the Spurs as a sixth man his whole career behind 2 other star players. I'm not going to argue who he's better than but I feel like he could've had more AS appearances and be known as a star player if he was a starter and on a bigger market team. It's interesting now after not giving him any recognition how they want to compare a lot of the players coming in as the new Manu Ginobili.

John B
02-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Westbrook and Harden are selfish stats padder. Manu is a genuine competitor, out there every night giving 100% effort for the win, regardless of stats, making good plays. MJ and Kobe takeover games too but for the win. Not Harden and Westbrook. Has anyone play pickup game with someone chucking shots like Harden and not winning?? Westbrook with all his empty calorie triple-doubles going home losing? Fuck that. Video game stats that media and millennials embrace, too much sauce without meat.

DAF86
02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Slightly off topic but does anyone have a link (or can copy paste here) Pelton's article about whether or not Manu deserves to be a HoF based solely on his NBA career?

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19496268/is-manu-ginobili-nba-career-hall-fame-worthy-san-antonio-spurs

skin27
02-04-2019, 02:11 AM
Slightly off topic but does anyone have a link (or can copy paste here) Pelton's article about whether or not Manu deserves to be a HoF based solely on his NBA career?

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19496268/is-manu-ginobili-nba-career-hall-fame-worthy-san-antonio-spurs

If we base it only on his NBA career I think he don’t deserve to be in the hall of fame..same with parker..

The main highlights of manu’s is when he lead Argentina to the gold medal at the Olympics in 2004 and knocked out the US(US Team B)in semifinals.

The question is does ginobili and parker deserves to be a first ballot hall of famer? I think manu is, because of the Olympic gold medal, but parker? I don’t think so

NameLess Scrub
02-04-2019, 08:02 AM
defense is irrelevant in MVP award..there’s an award for that(dpoy)

Probably in practice, but I don't agree unless it's called offensive player of the year. Imo value includes offense and defense and DPOY is for players whose value doesn't reach MVP levels overall, but it does defensively.

skin27
02-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Probably in practice, but I don't agree unless it's called offensive player of the year. Imo value includes offense and defense and DPOY is for players whose value doesn't reach MVP levels overall, but it does defensively.

MVP is more on offensive side than defensive..a lot players won the MVP despite being bad on defense..

you you don’t need to be good at defense to win the MVP

Seventyniner
02-04-2019, 02:08 PM
If we base it only on his NBA career I think he don’t deserve to be in the hall of fame..same with parker..

The main highlights of manu’s is when he lead Argentina to the gold medal at the Olympics in 2004 and knocked out the US(US Team B)in semifinals.

The question is does ginobili and parker deserves to be a first ballot hall of famer? I think manu is, because of the Olympic gold medal, but parker? I don’t think so

Parker had a way better NBA career than Manu in terms of total accomplishments. Manu was always more efficient but Parker played more minutes (~27k for Manu vs ~37k for Parker).

Manu's international career >>>>>>>>> Parker's, of course. But they're both HoF locks. Manu will be first ballot 100%, Parker most likely will be too but there's a small chance he has to wait one extra year.

As to the question "would Manu get in an NBA-only Hall of Fame?", I don't know. He doesn't have nearly the raw numbers that most inductees do. In fact, bkref thinks that Manu would only have a 20% chance of getting in the HoF because they only use NBA numbers. They have Parker at 93.9% and Pau at 93.3%.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html

Pocho La Pantera
02-04-2019, 02:38 PM

like I said harden’s MVP ends the argument..He benefited from others like Manu did from Duncan?

Arcadian
02-04-2019, 03:03 PM
It's like a tribute to the 2006 Finals.

skin27
02-04-2019, 08:49 PM
He benefited from others like Manu did from Duncan?

We’re talking about NBA