PDA

View Full Version : Derrick White Injury Thread: Out First Game of Rodeo Road Trip (Update: Out First THREE Games)

Man Mountain
02-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Chinook
02-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Gonna be hard to hold down Fox now. He did quite well against the Spurs during that SAC win earlier this year. Will be interesting to see how that team's developed since then.

timvp
02-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Damn, that sucks. Right heel soreness. I guess the good news is it's not the foot he injured in the preseason.

Let's hope it's not a lingering injury.

GusT15
02-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Well,shit.

I just hope it's not a plantar fasciia to his other heel this time.

What a terrible way to start the RRT.

DAF86
02-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Expecting an L without our most impactful player.

picnroll
02-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Patty’s got this.

BillMc
02-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Maybe this will help DeMar getting going a little? Looking for silver lining, hard to find.

ceperez
02-03-2019, 06:09 PM
The one downside of Derrick White.... injury prone.

Spurs Homer
02-03-2019, 06:28 PM
right after some dummy posted that "white is brandon roy"

thread

:bang:bang

daslicer
02-03-2019, 06:35 PM
I have had pain in the heel before. Went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Achilles Tendinitis. Took a month to recover from it. Hopefully it isn't that for Derrick.

Coach X
02-03-2019, 06:41 PM
It will be interesting to observe Pop's change in the starting line up. Is he going big starting Gasol/Poetl? Or is he going smaller with Bertans/Marco? Will Walker return to the guards rotation?

Without White, the Spurs are "defensively challenged" again. Somebody will have to step up in order to slow down the Kings. Who's guarding Fox, Forbes?

Spurs are not only losing his best perimeter defender but his point guard as well, so DeRozan has to run the offense again. DeMarr will probably have the ball on his hands more often and that should help him to find his game again. Hopefully, this is not affecting Aldridge's touches and contribution.

It won't be easy at Sacramento.

ceperez
02-03-2019, 06:57 PM
It will be interesting to observe Pop's change in the starting line up. Is he going big starting Gasol/Poetl? Or is he going smaller with Bertans/Marco? Will Walker return to the guards rotation?

Without White, the Spurs are "defensively challenged" again. Somebody will have to step up in order to slow down the Kings. Who's guarding Fox, Forbes?

Spurs are not only losing his best perimeter defender but his point guard as well, so DeRozan has to run the offense again. DeMarr will probably have the ball on his hands more often and that should help him to find his game again. Hopefully, this is not affecting Aldridge's touches and contribution.

It won't be easy at Sacramento.

Well, Lonnie Walker IV will need to step up!

timtonymanu
02-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Shit. Probably a loss then

John B
02-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Maybe this will help DeMar getting going a little? Looking for silver lining, hard to find.
Agree hopefully get Demar going as facilitator.

Ditty
02-03-2019, 08:21 PM
Good. I hope they are outside of the playoffs when the road trip is over.

spurs10
02-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Maybe this will help DeMar getting going a little? Looking for silver lining, hard to find. Yeah, but that's right this will put the ball in his hands much more.

Blackhaus
02-03-2019, 08:25 PM
This blows, hoping it’s just a game or 2 otherwise all that work to get in the middle of the standings will be wasted. He’s turned into a very important piece of this team. Get healthy soon DW

SpurPadre
02-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Fuck...probably one of our easiest games in the trip and it was going to be hard to begin with. It might be a disastrous trip.

cjw
02-03-2019, 08:58 PM
Good thing for the long AS break (9 days off). But if they hold him out that long (2/22), that’s five games.

Blackhaus
02-03-2019, 09:14 PM
DeRozan needs to step the fuck up

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2019, 09:32 PM
This is the best possible news for DD:lol

DAF86
02-03-2019, 11:18 PM
It really is telling that I would rather have DD injured than White.

spurs10
02-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Not good...damn.

TD 21
02-03-2019, 11:52 PM
It's not happening, but they should just start Walker and play him the first 5-6 minutes of the half (might have to cut it shorter in the 2nd half depending on how the game is going), as opposed to completely changing the look and feel of the team by starting traditionally or messing with the 2nd unit.

Given the upcoming schedule, this game doubly needs to be treated as a virtual must win. Throwing the first 5-6 minutes of each half in the garbage by playing politics could easily be costly.

Let's just hope regression to the mean is in full effect (Kings have outperformed their expected record by 3 games).

ducks
02-04-2019, 12:06 AM
Fuck

John B
02-04-2019, 12:09 AM
It's not happening, but they should just start Walker and play him the first 5-6 minutes of the half (might have to cut it shorter in the 2nd half depending on how the game is going), as opposed to completely changing the look and feel of the team by starting traditionally or messing with the 2nd unit.

Given the upcoming schedule, this game doubly needs to be treated as a virtual must win. Throwing the first 5-6 minutes of each half in the garbage by playing politics could easily be costly.

Let's just hope regression to the mean is in full effect (Kings have outperformed their expected record by 3 games).
Could also be a door opening for Walker, playing 3 and D should be easier than 2. Let Demar facilitate.

timvp
02-04-2019, 12:21 AM
I expect a starting lineup of Gasol, Aldridge, Gay, DeRozan and Forbes. If Pop thinks Aldridge would get destroyed by Bjelica, he might go with Bertans instead of Gasol.

I'd be surprised by any other lineup, tbh.

Chinook
02-04-2019, 12:33 AM
I expect a starting lineup of Gasol, Aldridge, Gay, DeRozan and Forbes. If Pop thinks Aldridge would get destroyed by Bjelica, he might go with Bertans instead of Gasol.

I'd be surprised by any other lineup, tbh.

Seems like a game where Pop could start Cun. Not saying it's likely, but I can't believe Pop has completely given up on the dude. I think Gasol starting is most likely because Pop has a built-in excuse to use all three centers. But if he has to abandon that for any reason, he could easily give Dante a shot.

BackHome
02-04-2019, 12:56 AM
Should bring up Moore

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 01:05 AM
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he started Lonnie. He's done that in the past with rookies and injuries to keep people in their roles.

Slippy
02-04-2019, 01:16 AM

Like this idea. Pop logic not so sure

skin27
02-04-2019, 01:20 AM
Welp

Duncan87
02-04-2019, 01:37 AM
Trade for Alec Burks plug in as point guard rest Dwhite

r0drig0lac
02-04-2019, 04:32 AM
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he started Lonnie. He's done that in the past with rookies and injuries to keep people in their roles.

I really hope he does it.

monty4329
02-04-2019, 05:23 AM
right after some dummy posted that "white is brandon roy"

thread

:bang:bang

gosh....

ceperez
02-04-2019, 06:21 AM

I agree, plug Walker in the same spot in the starting lineup. This likely is going to happen.

Its easier to play with the starting offense than the 2nd offense that requires a lot of movement.

John B
02-04-2019, 09:43 AM
I agree, plug Walker in the same spot in the starting lineup. This likely is going to happen.

Its easier to play with the starting offense than the 2nd offense that requires a lot of movement.
I’d put Lonnie at 3 n D, let Demar facilitate. Hopefully this create opportunities for Lonnie to show he belongs and accelerate his progress.

ceperez
02-04-2019, 09:50 AM
I’d put Lonnie at 3 n D, let Demar facilitate. Hopefully this create opportunities for Lonnie to show he belongs and accelerate his progress.

Yeah, have him defend the best wing on the other side. There's no way for him to learn without some exposure to good players.

monty4329
02-04-2019, 10:19 AM

The problem is he already proved that he doesn't belong right now. He will hopefully, but right now he doesn't have any business playing meaninful minutes, let alone starting, in the NBA.

sasaint
02-04-2019, 11:04 AM
I have had pain in the heel before. Went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Achilles Tendinitis. Took a month to recover from it. Hopefully it isn't that for Derrick.

Same here. Immobilized by a plaster cast back in the day.

sasaint
02-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Gonna be hard to hold down Fox now. He did quite well against the Spurs during that SAC win earlier this year. Will be interesting to see how that team's developed since then.

Maybe we see Pop use more zone...?

Without White we will not get any idea of the team’s development. White’s development and the team’s development are inextricably linked.

monty4329
02-04-2019, 12:01 PM
Maybe we see Pop use more zone...?

Without White we will not get any idea of the team’s development. White’s development and the team’s development are inextricably linked.

More than zone, I guess a clogged paint: if they make threes, OK, Kings win. But not with penetrations. I don't see any other way to beat this team that, even with White, is a tough matchup for SA

bklynspursfan
02-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Agreed. He seemed to be at his best early on when he was the primary ball handler. He still has to adjust to playing with White.

Also, hopefully we get some Lonnie action :hungry:

Kobe'sAchilles
02-04-2019, 01:05 PM
We fukked. All I know is that Demar better not get shut down by whatever scrub shooting guard that plays for the Kings

Seventyniner
02-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Rotoworld thinks it isn't serious.

Derrick White (sore right heel) has been ruled out vs. the Kings on Monday.

There's no indication that White will miss extended time, but with the All-Star break approaching the Spurs may opt to play it safe here. In a bit of good news, it was White's left heel that sustained a plantar fascia injury in October, so this isn't a recurring injury.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/381072/derrick-white-(sore-heel)-ruled-out-monday?ls=roto:SA:topheadlines

TimmyBuckets
02-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Derozan should go off for at least 25 then.

Arcadian
02-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Well, we're fucked. This guy is seriously one of our most valuable players now. He's more valuable than Derozan right now!

r0drig0lac
02-04-2019, 03:19 PM
https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1092517447486197760

objective
02-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Without Derrick White they're a lottery team.

emanueldavidginobili
02-04-2019, 03:25 PM
What terrible timing for this my god. Out verse SAC, POR, GSW yikes.

monty4329
02-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Funny how DDR playing horribly wasn't such a problem, resultswise, But White missing 3 games makes the team garbage....

But sadly, it is true that 26 mil spent for DDR don't buy what 1.6 mil buy from White. Time for DeMasculated to show he has indeed a pair.

Robz4000
02-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Eh, they weren't gonna win in Oakland or Portland anyway. Just hope they can find a way to win in Sacramento.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Eh, they weren't gonna win in Oakland or Portland anyway. Just hope they can find a way to win in Sacramento.

ceperez
02-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Time to hope that Lonnie Walker IV plays like the all-star that he's destined to be!

RC_Drunkford
02-04-2019, 04:42 PM
lol at people thinking Pop will start Walker. When has Pop ever started rookies? Nephew was an exception. Pop will probably start Bertans. If not him it will be either Pau or DPOY Dante. I also fully expect DeFrozan to show up, even with a higher usage rate he should continue shooting under 50%

exstatic
02-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Trade precaution?

exstatic
02-04-2019, 04:46 PM
lol at people thinking Pop will start Walker. When has Pop ever started rookies? Nephew was an exception. Pop will probably start Bertans. If not him it will be either Pau or DPOY Dante. I also fully expect DeFrozan to show up, even with a higher usage rate he should continue shooting under 50%

:lol Pop called a guy up from the d-league on a ten day one time, and started him. If it's a short term situation that will resolve quickly, Pop will literally start ANYONE to avoid disrupting his entire rotation.

timvp
02-04-2019, 04:47 PM

Got damn it. Welp, might as well hold him out until after the All-Star break now.

JPB
02-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Derrick white !

Drom John
02-04-2019, 04:59 PM
When has Pop ever started rookies?

2017-18 2 GS Brandon Paul
2016-17 8 GS Dejounte Murrray, 4 GS Davis Bertans, 3 GS Nicolas Laprovittola
2015-16 4 GS Boban Marjanovic, 2 GS Jonathon Simmons
2014-15 8 GS Kyle Anderson
2012-13 6 GS Nando De Colo
2011-12 39 GS Kawhi Leonard, 1 GS Cory Joseph
2010-11 6 GS Tiago Splitter, 2 GS James Anderson, 1 GS Gary Neal
2009-10 20 GS DeJuan Blair, 4 GS Garrett Temple
2008-09 7 GS George Hill
2006-07 2 GS James White
2004-05 2 GS Beno Udrih
2002-03 5 GS Manu Ginobili
2001-02 72 GS Tony Parker
2000-01 6 GS Ira Newble
1997-98 82 GS Tim Dunca

tmtcsc
02-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Shit. Probably a loss then

Yeah, I can see that.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Without Derrick White they're a lottery team.

This is laughable.

DPG21920
02-04-2019, 06:34 PM
This is laughable.

I don’t know man. With no Murray, DeRozan playing so poorly it’s not that far fetched. To be a lottery team in the West isnt’ some shame. AD can’t even lead NO to not be a lottery team.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 06:35 PM

I know a lot of you are really shitty Spurs fans with little to no clue, because of shit you post like this.

Pop started Dejonte as a rookie recently. He did it with Kyle. He does it virtually every season.

Rosewood
02-04-2019, 06:37 PM
I know a lot of you are really shitty Spurs fans with little to no clue, because of shit you post like this.

Pop started Dejonte as a rookie recently. He did it with Kyle. He does it virtually every season. This.

Think some of these cats are quasi spurs fans while Lakers suck tbh. Grew a fondness for Spurs after the years of feuding and once Kobe fucked the franchise over they drifted over here.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 06:38 PM
I don’t know man. With no Murray, DeRozan playing so poorly it’s not that far fetched. To be a lottery team in the West isnt’ some shame. AD can’t even lead NO to not be a lottery team.

There will be teams in the West who miss the playoffs with winning records, but lets put this statement in the context that all along the way Spurs fans have underestimated this team. They'll find a way to cope not having White for a few games. Anyone who feels the Spurs are in danger of missing the playoffs should let me know if they're willing to put their money where their mouth is because I'm sure we can come up with a bet I'll take.

DPG21920
02-04-2019, 06:42 PM
There will be teams in the West who miss the playoffs with winning records, but lets put this statement in the context that all along the way Spurs fans have underestimated this team. They'll find a way to cope not having White for a few games. Anyone who feels the Spurs are in danger of missing the playoffs should let me know if they're willing to put their money where their mouth is because I'm sure we can come up with a bet I'll take.

I may be missing the context, but I think they were saying that when SA doesn’t have White, they play closer to a lottery team level. Not that White out 3 games means SA will tumble down into the lottery

RC_Drunkford
02-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Pop started Dejonte as a rookie recently. He did it with Kyle. He does it virtually every season.

i been a Spurs fan for over 20 years dumbass. Pop started DJ for 8 games as a rookie. And he only does it when there are plenty of injuries around. Pop's system is next man up that means if his starting PG is injured he'll start the back up or the 6th man. Not the 15th player in the rotation.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 06:47 PM
I may be missing the context, but I think they were saying that when SA doesn’t have White, they play closer to a lottery team level. Not that White out 3 games means SA will tumble down into the lottery

Even with that other context, if Derrick White was out for the year this team would not miss the playoffs. He's a great prospect, but he's not the singular reason the Spurs are where the are and while the Spurs have a much diminished margin for error than in years passed I don't think that a team with LMA, DeRozan, and Gay is going to miss the playoffs because of Derrick White. Demar struggling at the same time as White's emergence have led people to really overvalue White's current contributions while dimishing the player that they view DeMar as. I'm extremely excited about White, but as per usual Spurstalk posters are overvaluing a young prospect while diminishing a proven All NBA guard on this team.

I've seen this shit before. Its a Spurstalk tradition by this point.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 06:49 PM
i been a Spurs fan for over 20 years dumbass. Pop started DJ for 8 games as a rookie. And he only does it when there are plenty of injuries around. Pop's system is next man up that means if his starting PG is injured he'll start the back up or the 6th man. Not the 15th player in the rotation.

Wow so you mean he might start Walker when there's injuries? So, maybe if White is injured and out he'll turn to a rookie to not upset a rotation? Crazy because that's exactly what you said Pop never did in this very thread.

You could have been a Spurs fan for 40 years. The length of time doesn't matter.

DPG21920
02-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Well, we just have to disagree. White’s impact is objectively better than any guard on the team. Past grievances aside, I don’t think anyone is overstating White’s impact here. The team would be worse, in a year with no margin for error, without White.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 06:53 PM
The team - in the long run - will be worse without White. Over the course of a few games, you can get the same W-L record with or without him, honestly. Spurs were likely at best going to go 1-2 in the next three games. They should still be able to beat the Kings but will likely lose the next two which I think would have been the exact same scenario without White.

EDIT: In fact that's probably a good reason to rest him. I think White definitely moves the needle against the Kings whom we're not sure to beat with or without him, but against GS and Portland on the road does he really make us more likely to win? Maybe a bit at Portland but not at GS.

DAF86
02-04-2019, 07:07 PM
0-3 losing streak coming.

RC_Drunkford
02-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Wow so you mean he might start Walker when there's injuries? So, maybe if White is injured and out he'll turn to a rookie to not upset a rotation? Crazy because that's exactly what you said Pop never did in this very thread.

You could have been a Spurs fan for 40 years. The length of time doesn't matter.

out of 15 players on the roster 14 are healthy. For Walker to be starting at least 2 SGs would have to be injured and with Pop playing 2 SGs at SF I'd say it would probably have to be 4-5 to see Walker start. The injured player is the starting PG. Walker plays SG. So the conclusion is he will be parked on the bench and maybe play 4-6 minutes tonight. I hope that explanation helps you to understand it, because you obviously don't seem to be able to think that far

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 08:34 PM
out of 15 players on the roster 14 are healthy. For Walker to be starting at least 2 SGs would have to be injured and with Pop playing 2 SGs at SF I'd say it would probably have to be 4-5 to see Walker start. The injured player is the starting PG. Walker plays SG. So the conclusion is he will
be parked on the bench and maybe play 4-6 minutes tonight. I hope that explanation helps you to understand it, because you obviously don't seem to be able to think that far

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201611210SAS.html

Dejonte's first game started. Only injured guard was Parker.

Just stop.

offset formation
02-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Yeah, have him defend the best wing on the other side. There's no way for him to learn without some exposure to good players.

Won't be a positive outcome, tbh.

DPG21920
02-04-2019, 08:47 PM

CGD
02-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Damn...

Here’s hoping Lonnie gets run.

ace3g
02-04-2019, 08:48 PM
https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1092599477234368512

Uriel
02-04-2019, 08:49 PM
:pctoss

daslicer
02-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Did White originally have Plantar Fascittis in his right foot or his left foot? I wonder if this is something that he has been battling all year.

offset formation
02-04-2019, 09:00 PM
I wonder if this is going to be an ongoing problem for him in his career due to how he runs. Maybe puts too much strain on the ligaments due to constantly running up on his toes.

offset formation
02-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Did White originally have Plantar Fascittis in his right foot or his left foot? I wonder if this is something that he has been battling all year.

Left foot. Now the right.

This could be a physiological side effect to how he runs, which is starting to be shown due to the amount of use he's getting in the NBA and GLeague over the past couple years compared to his college days.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 09:03 PM
I don't believe its chronic the problem is that you need a long period of rest for it to fully go away. Duncan had it in 2005 but after that offseason I don't remember it being an issue at any other point in his career.

Still fucking sucks though.

daslicer
02-04-2019, 09:08 PM

This could be a physiological side effect to how he runs, which is starting to be shown due to the amount of use he's getting in the NBA and GLeague over the past couple years compared to his college days.

Wow that's crazy to have it in both feet.

timtonymanu
02-04-2019, 09:21 PM
White arguably a top 2 player on our team right now and of course he gets injured yet the goddamn Dubs always remain healthy. Fuck the basketball gods.

Robz4000
02-04-2019, 09:21 PM

If White is out as long as he was to start the season or longer I might need to take you up on that bet.

tim_duncan_fan
02-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Plantar fasciitis strikes again.

RC_Drunkford
02-04-2019, 09:23 PM
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201611210SAS.html

Dejonte's first game started. Only injured guard was Parker.

Just stop.

Aldridge didn't play either. Learn how to read

MannyIsGod
02-04-2019, 09:26 PM
out of 15 players on the roster 14 are healthy. For Walker to be starting at least 2 SGs would have to be injured and with Pop playing 2 SGs at SF I'd say it would probably have to be 4-5 to see Walker start. The injured player is the starting PG. Walker plays SG. So the conclusion is he will be parked on the bench and maybe play 4-6 minutes tonight. I hope that explanation helps you to understand it, because you obviously don't seem to be able to think that far

Didn't realize Aldridge was playing PG now.

Good point.

diceman
02-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Hope Lonnie at least gets some good PT and experience during this vs leaning on Cunningham and Pondexter. :bang:bang

https://twitter.com/mikecwright/status/1092607380112723968

https://twitter.com/mikecwright/status/1092608150069563393

DPG21920
02-04-2019, 09:36 PM
If they plan on DW being out an extended period of time I wonder if that increases the urgency to make a move. DeRozan can definitley pick up the “lead guard” duties like we’ve seen before, but man, perimeter defense and playmaking both take a hit.

Gordy58
02-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Hopefully lonnie gets some minutes, we could really use his athleticism and shooting. Maybe this White injury really forces us to make a trade.

ceperez
02-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Can you explain a bit more about 'how he runs'?

The extra stress on the body of the NBA could be a problem that requires adjusting to.

Wasn't White injured several times last season also?

BlackAndWhite
02-04-2019, 11:09 PM
Maybe we need to trade Derrick White. This guy's body is totally glass

NameLess Scrub
02-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Man that sucks. Been dealing with that myself and it's very frustrating.

The kid is much younger than me and has great resources at his disposal and still battles this on both feet.
I hope if there's anything wrong with his feet, running form or anything else they find it and correct it. He's been great this season.

jbspurs
02-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Well,shit.

I just hope it's not a plantar fasciia to his other heel this time.

What a terrible way to start the RRT.

I hope so, that shit takes a while to heal. I had it before, very painful in the morning.

jbspurs
02-05-2019, 12:42 AM
Man that sucks. Been dealing with that myself and it's very frustrating.

The kid is much younger than me and has great resources at his disposal and still battles this on both feet.
I hope if there's anything wrong with his feet, running form or anything else they find it and correct it. He's been great this season.

I paid over $300 for shoe insert from Goodfeet, Im glad it worked for me.

Keepin' it real
02-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Better now than days before the Finals.

timtonymanu
02-05-2019, 12:47 AM
Better now than days before the Finals.

He will be watching from his couch either way

TheGreatYacht
02-05-2019, 12:57 AM
Permaban the Australian faggot that made that Brandon Roy thread

TD 21
02-05-2019, 01:00 AM
This team is a house of cards. They need virtually everything to be on point to be relatively good, which is just not realistic throughout a marathon season, in a volatile league.

For a team that lost their starting PG for the season and doesn't think their rookies are ready, it's inexplicable that they've wasted their 15th spot on a guy who's no longer an NBA player and their two-way spots on a 5th C and a player who they apparently have no interest in calling up.

Minus White, they're at 10 playable bodies and 3 can only play one position. Unconscionable roster construction.

NameLess Scrub
02-05-2019, 04:23 AM
I paid over $300 for shoe insert from Goodfeet, Im glad it worked for me.

Did they find a cause?

RC_Drunkford
02-05-2019, 05:15 AM
so how many minutes did Walker play yesterday?

monty4329
02-05-2019, 08:03 AM
This really sucks. Plantar fasciitis is one the worse injuries recoverwise, you literally can't play it through.
Hope they stopped him in time, it gets worse the more you play.

For instance, Teodosic played few games with fasciitis last year, and basically was never the same (and he is again out the whole year). It also risks generating knee strains (you favor the other foot, obviously).

I am afraid it can be some time before we see White again, thank god for the AS break.

Hope it doesn't become an issue with the medical staff (already misdiagnosed the Pau foot injury this year).

I wonder if PATFO will see the light and try to get some help trading for a stop-gap veteran.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-05-2019, 05:33 PM
If they plan on DW being out an extended period of time I wonder if that increases the urgency to make a move. DeRozan can definitley pick up the “lead guard” duties like we’ve seen before, but man, perimeter defense and playmaking both take a hit.

I freaking hope so. Relying on Mills and Forbes to carry our backcourt is standings suicide. The Spurs need a little bit of defense, stability, and size in the backcourt. Mills and Forbes provide none of that.

J_Paco
02-05-2019, 06:04 PM
This team is a house of cards. They need virtually everything to be on point to be relatively good, which is just not realistic throughout a marathon season, in a volatile league.

For a team that lost their starting PG for the season and doesn't think their rookies are ready, it's inexplicable that they've wasted their 15th spot on a guy who's no longer an NBA player and their two-way spots on a 5th C and a player who they apparently have no interest in calling up.

Minus White, they're at 10 playable bodies and 3 can only play one position. Unconscionable roster construction.

Wow, back to complaining about the (obviously) poorly constructed roster for the 1,000,000 time?

I agree they need to either move past Pondexter or give Walker or Moore some (token) minutes to see how far along they are.

But, injuries have bitten them in the ass all season and this "flawed" roster is still a playoff team. Until they/we know the duration White will be out then I won't hit the "panic" button.

I see you've again reached for it as soon as possible (just so you can seem "smart" or say "I told you so" on a message board).

DPG21920
02-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Yeah - look, we all know it’s flawed. But it’s hard to blame the FO too much. They were put in a rough spot with Kawhi, did what they could and didn’t have a whole lot of time to plan. This team was built a certain way around a certain star and that all shifted.

We’ve all spoken about what could have been done differently but my eyes are set on this and next year now that they can plan a little for the assets they do have.

TD 21
02-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Wow, back to complaining about the (obviously) poorly constructed roster for the 1,000,000 time?

I agree they need to either move past Pondexter or give Walker or Moore some (token) minutes to see how far along they are.

But, injuries have bitten them in the ass all season and this "flawed" roster is still a playoff team. Until they/we know the duration White will be out then I won't hit the "panic" button.

I see you've again reached for it as soon as possible (just so you can seem "smart" or say "I told you so" on a message board).

Having more than 10 playable bodies (since 1 is usually out) and 3 of them only able to play 1 position, is a legit complaint and no amount of apologizing/excuse making (the hypocrisy is completely lost on you people) provides a credible answer for it.

Pondexter, Eubanks and Moore (apparently never getting called up), should all be spots going to young wings/PGs who might be able to provide 10-15 don't-kill-them minutes when Gay, White, Bertans, or whoever else is inevitably out every 5 minutes.

Instead, they're making quantum changes, like going from a modern to traditional starting lineup or breaking up the 2nd unit, which were basically the two things they had going for them.

J_Paco
02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Having more than 10 playable bodies (since 1 is usually out) and 3 of them only able to play 1 position, is a legit complaint and no amount of apologizing/excuse making (the hypocrisy is completely lost on you people) provides a credible answer for it.

Pondexter, Eubanks and Moore (apparently never getting called up), should all be spots going to young wings/PGs who might be able to provide 10-15 don't-kill-them minutes when Gay, White, Bertans, or whoever else is inevitably out every 5 minutes.

Instead, they're making quantum changes, like going from a modern to traditional starting lineup or breaking up the 2nd unit, which were basically the two things they had going for them.

Yet, by next season they'll have the best foursome guard rotation in the NBA and two possible draft picks that could aid with wing/SF/combo forward depth.

Every roster minus the Celtics and Nuggets (the two deepest teams in the NBA, IMO) have weaknesses or flaws. Look how just losing LeBron for two or three weeks sent LAL in a tailspin and exposed their overhyped, overrated youth for example.......

And I agree that Moore and Walker should be given sometime especially with the alternative being Cunningham and Pondexter, but extra seasoning/time with the G League team could prove fruitful in the future.

Didn't Danny spend his entire first season with the Spurs down in Austin?

And again I'm not being an apologist or making excuses for why they make certain decisions, but I'm trying to be pragmatic and a realist about the current roster and situation.

It beats complaining every time they lose or make decision I disagree with....

TD 21
02-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Yet, by next season they'll have the best foursome guard rotation in the NBA and two possible draft picks that could aid with wing/SF/combo forward depth.

Every roster minus the Celtics and Nuggets (the two deepest teams in the NBA, IMO) have weaknesses or flaws. Look how just losing LeBron for two or three weeks sent LAL in a tailspin and exposed their overhyped, overrated youth for example.......

:lmao Even if that were true, what does that have to do with what I said?

Those picks will be young, likely raw players who don't fit the mid 3's timeline. No one is suggesting mortgaging the future for a core that lacks a championship ceiling, but there is a happy middle they should be trying to achieve to give them a chance at a few solid playoff runs. If not, why even bother having them? Might as well re-build.

Gay, White and Bertans are all solid players, but one missing shouldn't change the entire look and feel of the team.

DAF86
02-05-2019, 07:26 PM
We will have to settle for 6th seed at best without our best player. :(

Hoops Czar
02-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Yeah - look, we all know it’s flawed. But it’s hard to blame the FO too much. They were put in a rough spot with Kawhi, did what they could and didn’t have a whole lot of time to plan. This team was built a certain way around a certain star and that all shifted.

We’ve all spoken about what could have been done differently but my eyes are set on this and next year now that they can plan a little for the assets they do have.

They didn't have to give away Green for virtually nothing.

Rosewood
02-05-2019, 09:04 PM
I would ship Aldridge/Derozan out for a plethora of picks tbh, we're not winning anything important with them anyway and our young core actually looks interesting with White/Murray/Walker/Bertans.

I like winning and all that, but getting bounced in the first round year in year out does suck, and an Aldridge/Derozan led team is looking like just that.

ceperez
02-05-2019, 09:06 PM
so how many minutes did Walker play yesterday?

Zilch.... Spurs lost.

John B
02-05-2019, 09:16 PM
There was the 19 year old french guard tbh. I rather see Walker try at it on defense than Belli starting. Fox had a feast time, and Yogi?? I don’t expect much from Lonnie, but at least a semblance of defense of some sort.

jbspurs
02-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Did they find a cause?

There are many causes they said. They just advice me to avoid wearing flat shoes and avoid walking bear foot for a long period of time.

BackHome
02-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Even if we loose all five games I doubt we fall past 7th the West is pretty shitty the Jazz are like us playing like crap. And the same for Clippers and the Kings are like 5 games back.

TD 21
02-05-2019, 11:50 PM
I want 5th or 7th, aka the Trail Blazers or Nuggets and preferably the latter. Jokic is a fringe superstar, who lacks the alpha mentality typically associated with one. They have no other stars, Millsap possesses the only notable playoff experience, they lack a big wing(s) and despite their ranking, are suspect defensively due to poor personnel.

Good news, 7th seed feels most likely at this time. The Jazz will probably pass the Spurs by virtue of making up home games. If they acquire Conley or Mirotic, it's a virtual wrap.

Also, short term it feels like a 4 game losing streak upcoming. The only hope is that the Trail Blazers come back tonight, thereby increasing the odds for Thursday.

monty4329
02-06-2019, 05:13 AM

Second to that.

Bloody hell this team is 9 games above .500 with this flawed roster, hence the roster maybe is not that flawed after all.

Future is rosy, many young assets, two 1st picks to trade (no need for them). I didn't realized that before and was in awe during last game: in the last 21 years Spurs were below .500 for 65 days. The closest team is Dallas with about 960.

Fucking best organization in the NBA by miles.

NickiRasgo
02-06-2019, 05:49 AM
I want 7th seed - we're not winning anyway so better to have a higher position in the coming draft.

NameLess Scrub
02-06-2019, 10:56 AM
There are many causes they said. They just advice me to avoid wearing flat shoes and avoid walking bear foot for a long period of time.

Yeah that's part of the general advice. I was hoping you got some doctor you check if you suffer from other stuff like cavus foot or overpronation.

I've had it since last year.

Biernutz
02-07-2019, 09:39 AM
I had a bad case of plantar fasciitis in my right heeL I saw a podiatrist he gave me three shots in my right heel over three weeks to try to help the problem. Before I saw the doctor I bought all kinds of intersoles and changed shoes with no help. When talking to my podiatrist about my non progress with the shots he said I should try what he recommends for some high school track team members with fasciitis problems. He said to get a pair of New Balance Pressure Relif Intersoles from the New Balance store. They come in your size and width for your feet. Take out the intersoles out of your shoes and install intersoles. I changed out the soles and within a week I felt major progress and another week the pain was completely gone. I continue to do the stretching exercises along with using crocs all time around the house. I never go barefooted and the superior cushioning of the crocs helps with my feet. If nothing is working for your fasciitis you should give this a try. The intersoles cost less than $30 on Amazon or a little more at the store. Try it..it worked for me and two others I told about what I was using.

Blackhaus
02-07-2019, 09:56 AM
So we just need to get DW a new balance contract....check

Blackhaus
02-07-2019, 09:57 AM
And unlimited crocks

Blackhaus
02-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Does he need the little giblets on them too?

Roscoe P. Coltrane
02-17-2019, 01:39 AM
Is there any new info on his injury status?

TheGoatishere
02-17-2019, 02:13 AM
Is there any new info on his injury status?

thinks he’s expected to be back for the raptors game

Seventyniner
02-17-2019, 06:05 AM
thinks he’s expected to be back for the raptors game

Damn good news. With how conservative the FO is with injuries, White must be at least 95%.

exstatic
02-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Damn good news. With how conservative the FO is with injuries, White must be at least 95%.

The thing is, PF is an injury that pretty much only responds to rest, and Pop just bought him 9-10 extra days over the ASB. That could make the difference in our season.

cd021
02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
I want 7th seed - we're not winning anyway so better to have a higher position in the coming draft.

I would be fine with the Spurs staying 7th and getting the 19th or 20th pick, plus Denver is a far better matchup for the Spurs than OKC or Portland tbh.

Russ
02-17-2019, 02:30 PM
I would be fine with the Spurs staying 7th and getting the 19th or 20th pick, plus Denver is a far better matchup for the Spurs than OKC or Portland tbh.

How about 3rd, 6th or 7th?

The 4-5 seed will be unpopular. Teams shooting for the 3 will have a lot on the line as the season dwindles.

cd021
02-17-2019, 05:34 PM
How about 3rd, 6th or 7th?

The 4-5 seed will be unpopular. Teams shooting for the 3 will have a lot on the line as the season dwindles.

I think the 3rd seed is virtually out of range for the Spurs.

I still think Denver is the best first-round opponent, oddly enough. I don't think they can stop Aldridge and I think DeRozen and Gay could both have good series against their team.

On the plus side, Spurs would get a good 1st and a half-decent second rounder.

BackHome
02-17-2019, 06:17 PM
If White misses anymore games we might not make the playoffs.

ZeusWillJudge
02-17-2019, 06:54 PM
The Spurs aren't likely to catch OKC unless they have injury problems. But Houston is 6-4 over their last 10 games, even with Hardon setting records. They could easily stumble enough for the Spurs to win the division and get the 4 seed. Assuming the Spurs don't stumble further. If that happened, it would most likely be Houston or Portland in the first round.

They're rolling the dice if they bring White back this soon. This season isn't as important as the next one, and the one after that.

GusT15
02-17-2019, 07:21 PM
The Spurs aren't likely to catch OKC unless they have injury problems. But Houston is 6-4 over their last 10 games, even with Hardon setting records. They could easily stumble enough for the Spurs to win the division and get the 4 seed. Assuming the Spurs don't stumble further. If that happened, it would most likely be Houston or Portland in the first round.

They're rolling the dice if they bring White back this soon. This season isn't as important as the next one, and the one after that.

Division winners are not guaranteed a top seed since 2015.

exstatic
02-17-2019, 10:00 PM

He’s got PF. That’s not career threatening.

ZeusWillJudge
02-18-2019, 02:45 AM
Division winners are not guaranteed a top seed since 2015.

I didn't say it was a guarantee seed. The Blazers have played 7 more home games than road games. They are about to play 7 in a row on the road. If the Spurs play well enough to overtake Houston, they'll be ahead of Portland too. Count on it.

I guess I should have left the part about the division out so you didn't get aroused. We'll revisit this after seven games.

If it becomes chronic, it might as well be. White isn't a 7-footer that can play the game without jumping like Timmy. Limit his mobility, and he's not much use. He had torn fascia at the beginning of this season, and now a bout with fasciitis a few months later. You'd like to see that injury get 6-8 weeks off.

monty4329
02-18-2019, 03:48 AM
The Spurs aren't likely to catch OKC unless they have injury problems. But Houston is 6-4 over their last 10 games...

Remaining games against West:
Spurs -9
Houston -15
Portland -12
OKC -15
Denver -18 !!!

Not so sure Denver can keep the second place actually.
Houston will be a beast with Capela back but 15 games against Western teams is quite tough.
Spurs need to finish .500 the rodeo trip otherwise it will be extremely hard to win 14 games and make the playoffs (never bet against LeBron, it was never a smart idea....), although the remaining strength of schedule is benign.
Utah has a ridiculously easy finishing stretch (can very well be 19-6), I think they'll make 4th seed.

monty4329
02-18-2019, 03:54 AM

It is actually. You literally can't play. You'll not make it in today's NBA playing 45 games per season. Let's hope for the best for him, but it is very troubling at his age.

GusT15
02-18-2019, 06:37 AM
I didn't say it was a guarantee seed. The Blazers have played 7 more home games than road games. They are about to play 7 in a row on the road. If the Spurs play well enough to overtake Houston, they'll be ahead of Portland too. Count on it.

I guess I should have left the part about the division out so you didn't get aroused. We'll revisit this after seven games.

Come on man,you specifically said that if we overtake Houston we'd be the 4 seed as division winners.You didn't mention Portland at that time or even Utah who are also ahead of us.It was an honest mistake,if anything it shows you are a longtime fan and you just misremembered the old rules,it's fine.

As for the actual seeding and White's injury,i have given my full schedule prediction on the 8 seed thread over a month ago.I am fully aware the 4 seed is up for grabs (Although i still prefer the 6 seed if OKC goes #2 or the 7th seed if Denver goes #2).
And as mentioned by most of us here,White is an integral,vital piece of our system,so every prediction is made with a healthy Derrick White in mind.
And plantar fasciitis is indeed not carreer threatening per se,but it is season ending if it flares up in March.
And it hurts like a mother,like a nail stuck in your heel every time you take a step.

BD24
02-18-2019, 10:16 AM
White needs to come back healthy. This team might miss the playoffs without him tbh. Also need him to be healthy for our long term plans as well. A shame the injury came as he was really hitting his stride and having a great stretch

Spursfanfromafar
02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Spurs should realistically target the sixth place. If White returns healthy after the layoff, they can actually get to that place. If PF is hampering him despite the rest, they just need to fight for a playoff spot and try to remain in the 6th/7th slots

BillMc
02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
It's amazing how White has become arguably the second most important player on the team.

exstatic
02-18-2019, 10:41 AM
It's amazing how White has become arguably the second most important player on the team.

Not really, at least to me. He plays defense, and is good with or without the ball on offense. Super versatile.

GusT15
02-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Not really, at least to me. He plays defense, and is good with or without the ball on offense. Super versatile.

The amazing part goes two ways,unfortunately.

It's amazing that White rose up to the challenge and developed a mature all around game in such a short time period.

It's also amazing in a terrible way how a team goes over summer from having great to elite defensive perimeter weapons in Danny Green,DJ Murray and #2 to having to deal with a roster that one player gets hurt and the Spurs perimeter defense goes to worst in the league.

And there are some things you can't deal with (Leonard trade request),some things you cannot predict (Murray ACL) and some things you just take the poison pill and decide if you were right or wrong in hindsight (Danny Green in the trade package).

But when everything goes wrong and you haven't prepared the team to deal with such adversities,White's importance starts getting scaled with PATFO's bad roster construction.

"Let's set up a roster with Mills,Forbes,DeRozan,Belinelli and the corpse of Q Pon as primary and secondary rotation perimeter defensive players.If Murray goes down? We got White! If White goes down? Oh,sorry,we were unlucky"

Dverde
02-18-2019, 11:17 AM
I’d be happy getting the ninth seed, jumping over all those garbage East playoff teams in the draft. This team needs to learn not to blow easy games against terrible teams. That’s your bread and butter for success in the NBA.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-18-2019, 03:21 PM
If Derrick white isn't healthy and back playing for us soon then I don't think we even finish .500 never mind make the playoffs. Too lazy to look it up, but our record without him is horrible.

Mugen
02-18-2019, 05:43 PM
I’d be happy getting the ninth seed, jumping over all those garbage East playoff teams in the draft. This team needs to learn not to blow easy games against terrible teams. That’s your bread and butter for success in the NBA.

Yep, I'd be thrilled with the 12th or 13th seed in the West if the alternative was the team getting their collective shit pushed in during the 1st round tbh.

Mugen
02-18-2019, 05:48 PM
crofl at some people thinking Denver or other top teams besides the Dubs are a "good" matchup for the Spurs....

This team has lost to several shitty East teams at home, blown out by the likes of the Magic, Phoenix, Minny, Utah, Sacramento, etc....

They had a nice stretch during December because Pau was out but his return was horribly mismanaged by Pop who probably thinks Dante and QPon are in for a big finish to the regular season, not to mention Demar going into playoff form immediately after his championship against the Raptors :lol

I'm praying to god they miss the playoffs because their ceiling is stealing a game against any top 4 seed in the West tbh

gambit1990
02-18-2019, 05:52 PM
crofl at some people thinking Denver or other top teams besides the Dubs are a "good" matchup for the Spurs....

This team has lost to several shitty East teams at home, blown out by the likes of the Magic, Phoenix, Minny, Utah, Sacramento, etc....

They had a nice stretch during December because Pau was out but his return was horribly mismanaged by Pop who probably thinks Dante and QPon are in for a big finish to the regular season, not to mention Demar going into playoff form immediately after his championship against the Raptors :lol

I'm praying to god they miss the playoffs because their ceiling is stealing a game against any top 4 seed in the West tbh
i remember when people were saying the spurs had a chance against any team that wasn’t the warriors :lol

exstatic
02-18-2019, 06:02 PM

And what miracle do you think is going to happen with like the 8th pick? There won't be anyone who can transform this franchise. PATFO will probably do as well with 18 as 8.

exstatic
02-18-2019, 06:04 PM
i remember when people were saying the spurs had a chance against any team that wasn’t the warriors :lol

I think that may have been before DeJounte, White, and Walker all went down with injuries. This team would be much different with those three for an entire season.

Mugen
02-18-2019, 06:07 PM
And what miracle do you think is going to happen with like the 8th pick? There won't be anyone who can transform this franchise. PATFO will probably do as well with 18 as 8.

Ex, I was thinking going from like 18th pick to the 14th. If you told me the team could get all the way up to 8th, I'd probably fly to SA and pull a Nancy Kerrigan on DWhite myself.

Slippy
02-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Can't get any updated news on the 2nd most important spur. Is he training at the least?

timtonymanu
02-18-2019, 08:03 PM

:lol :tu

slick'81
02-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Ex, I was thinking going from like 18th pick to the 14th. If you told me the team could get all the way up to 8th, I'd probably fly to SA and pull a Nancy Kerrigan on DWhite myself.

For real peeps still thinking this team with the right "matchup" can still get to the wcf:lmao

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-18-2019, 10:24 PM
What's up with White? Is he playing Friday?

timtonymanu
02-18-2019, 11:00 PM
For real peeps still thinking this team with the right "matchup" can still get to the wcf:lmao

“Westbrook will shoot okc out of the series.”
“Harden is a playoff choker.”

Spurs fans act like we don’t have the poor mans version of both of those guys in Derozan who will do the same to us come playoff time.

monty4329
02-19-2019, 07:04 AM

Not making the playoffs with about 44-45 wins means a theoretical pick #14. It certainly makes SA a contender.

emanueldavidginobili
02-19-2019, 09:14 AM
If White isn’t playing Friday it’s pretty serious. That would put him at 18 full days without playing a game come Friday. I’m sure he will be playing though.

exstatic
02-19-2019, 10:04 AM

That's an even worse reason to tank. Pick #14? WTF do you think that will accomplish that #18 won't? There won't be any franchise saviors at #14. There won't be any at #8. SOME years there's one at #1, and on a really lucky year, #2.

r0drig0lac
02-19-2019, 10:09 AM
That's an even worse reason to tank. Pick #14? WTF do you think that will accomplish that #18 won't? There won't be any franchise saviors at #14. There won't be any at #8. SOME years there's one at #1, and on a really lucky year, #2.

Giannis and Kawhi are two clear examples that this scenario can actually happen, although I agree that it does not make sense in this case

Mugen
02-19-2019, 10:32 AM

I wanted to tank in the summer, now I just want them to get as high as possible considering drafting is the only thing PATFO are competent at at this point. Might as well give RC every advantage when it comes to the draft tbh.

GusT15
02-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Giannis and Kawhi are two clear examples that this scenario can actually happen, although I agree that it does not make sense in this case

It seems to me that the whole Spurstalk community is not on the same page with the front office and organization as a whole.

Giannis and Kawhi went middle first round cause they were PROJECTS,not complete NBA players.Giannis was thin like a toothpick cause he didn't have enough money to eat growing up,Kawhi didn't know how to shoot cause nobody bothered fixing his mechanics to adapt to his gigantic hands.

It takes 2-3 years to develop those kind of picks.

Popovich and the whole regime will not be around in a year and a half.

You are talking about seeding and draft picks and no one is addressing the elephant in the room.Who is gonna make the picks? Who is gonna develop them? Who is gonna coach the team?

They picked Lonnie Walker and we have labelled him a scrub already cause he is not nearly ready.

People here want us to miss the playoffs this year for a pick that's gonna actually play in 2022.Really?

The future is uncertain,we don't know wtf we are doing.Until we find out,i'm gonna say i want the Spurs to win as many games possible and i don't give a damn about the 14th pick the 18th pick or the 57th pick in the second round.

exstatic
02-19-2019, 11:30 AM
It seems to me that the whole Spurstalk community is not on the same page with the front office and organization as a whole.

Giannis and Kawhi went middle first round cause they were PROJECTS,not complete NBA players.Giannis was thin like a toothpick cause he didn't have enough money to eat growing up,Kawhi didn't know how to shoot cause nobody bothered fixing his mechanics to adapt to his gigantic hands.

It takes 2-3 years to develop those kind of picks.

Popovich and the whole regime will not be around in a year and a half.

You are talking about seeding and draft picks and no one is addressing the elephant in the room.Who is gonna make the picks? Who is gonna develop them? Who is gonna coach the team?

They picked Lonnie Walker and we have labelled him a scrub already cause he is not nearly ready.

People here want us to miss the playoffs this year for a pick that's gonna actually play in 2022.Really?

The future is uncertain,we don't know wtf we are doing.Until we find out,i'm gonna say i want the Spurs to win as many games possible and i don't give a damn about the 14th pick the 18th pick or the 57th pick in the second round.

Hear, hear...

Most people whining about the current situation have no idea how painful a tank and rebuild would be. You'd be looking at like 3 wins a month, although I guess you'd ACTUALLY legitimately have something to bitch about.

The pisser is that there is no guarantee that you come out the other side as a contender. You may just create another playoff team that goes out in the first or second round. In fact, I'd say there's a pretty high chance of that happening.

Dex
02-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Hear, hear...

Most people whining about the current situation have no idea how painful a tank and rebuild would be. You'd be looking at like 3 wins a month, although I guess you'd ACTUALLY legitimately have something to bitch about.

The pisser is that there is no guarantee that you come out the other side as a contender. You may just create another playoff team that goes out in the first or second round. In fact, I'd say there's a pretty high chance of that happening.

Hit the nail on the head right here. Spurs could tank for two or three years just to put themselves back in the position they are in now.

Some people seem to have this delusion that the Spurs would tank for one year and end up with another Duncan, and the chances of that are astronomically low. Timmy was a generational talent...one of the best to ever lace them up. It's extremely rare to find guys like that who can single-handedly turn your franchise around and make you a contender.

For every Duncan, there are are like ten Odens, Bennetts, or Fultz's. Just getting a top 3 pick doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

Hell, look how many teams were "tankin' for Ayton" last season like he was some messiah...and now the Suns have him and they are still locked in the cellar. I'm sure he will be a good player eventually, but it's not like he was some sort of instant fix.

Meanwhile, this place becomes near unbearable after the Spurs lose a game or two. I can't imagine what it would be like if we only put up 20 wins in a season.

r0drig0lac
02-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Giannis and Kawhi went middle first round cause they were PROJECTS

Well, of course, practically all the players who are drafted are, to some degree, just projects. Only indicating that two of the 6 best players in the world currently, were found exactly in the specified range

exstatic
02-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Well, of course, practically all the players who are drafted are, to some degree, just projects. Only indicating that two of the 6 best players in the world currently, were found exactly in the specified range

Which is why you don't dump a 20 year playoff streak to chase that ish...

r0drig0lac
02-19-2019, 01:51 PM

obviously, in the situation we currently have, it makes no sense to "try to lose the playoffs" (in fact, I'm completely against the tank in any situation)

TDomination
02-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Thats how i feel. I don't care how bad we look going into the playoffs. I really just want this team to find a way to make it. Keep the streak going. Its like the only thing we have now that the 50 game streak is gone.

Coach X
02-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Hear, hear...

Hit the on the head right here. Spurs could tank for two or three years just to put themselves back in the position they are in now.

Some people seem to have this delusion that the Spurs would tank for one year and end up with another Duncan, and the chances of that are astronomically low. Timmy was a generational talent...one of the best to ever lace them up. It's extremely rare to find guys like that who can single-handedly turn your franchise around and make you a contender.

For every Duncan, there are are like ten Odens, Bennetts, or Fultz's. Just getting a top 3 pick doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

Hell, look how many teams were "tankin' for Ayton" last season like he was some messiah...and now the Suns have him and they are still locked in the cellar. I'm sure he will be a good player eventually, but it's not like he was some sort of instant fix.

Meanwhile, this place becomes near unbearable after the Spurs lose a game or two. I can't imagine what it would be like if we only put up 20 wins in a season.

I wish pro-tank posters could understand this.

gambit1990
02-19-2019, 07:15 PM
not tanking this season doesn't make sense.

gambit1990
02-19-2019, 07:16 PM
yeah, let's keep the PO streak alive because getting swept in the 1st round is so important! :rolleyes

spurs10
02-19-2019, 07:24 PM
yeah, let's keep the PO streak alive because getting swept in the 1st round is so important! :rolleyes Just curious, how many games do you attend a year? Not a snarky question, I like the logo under your name too much for that! Just wondering if you go to a lot of games because that's where the bottom line is for the organization. They are likely seeing a big drop-off in revenue. It's obviously a lot harder to sell tickets with Tim, Manu, and TP gone.

Spurs Homer
02-19-2019, 07:44 PM
so no update on white?

timtonymanu
02-19-2019, 07:49 PM
:lol why do you guys want a playoff appearance? So PATFO can justify not making moves in the offseason and bank on Murray/white/Lonnie being healthy? The quicker this team faces a reality check for how poorly they’re built the better.

:cry but our playoff streak

spurs50_
02-19-2019, 08:07 PM
I just want to win the next one, that's it

GusT15
02-19-2019, 09:23 PM
not tanking this season doesn't make sense.

You really don't seem to fathom what tanking at the current state the Spurs are means.

First of all,you don't tank mid season,let's get that out of the way.You tank in the off season or in the first month of the regular season.

Specifically in the Spurs case this last summer,if we wanted to tank,we should trade Leonard for young players/prospects/expiring contracts and draft picks.Not an all star contract and a low first.Then you trade LMA for a low 1st.

To tank this season,it means Popovich retires in the summer of 2018,cause he sure as hell ain't coaching a tanking team at 70.Hell,Bud couldn't stay and coach a tanking team at 50.

Let's dive even deeper.You don't tank just this year.You have to tank at least 2 years and that's practical whether you like to or not.Why? Cause you have a new coach,rookies and developing players and a team with no identity/ambition/cohesion.

So you have tanked for 2 years,the Spurfans around the globe are depressed,Spurstalk is either empty or we're cursing each other every day on what went wrong,and you start the 2020-21 season trying not to tank.
So you try to sign a max free agent.How will that go?
So you tell kids that were losing for 2 years,"Let's win!".How will that go?
So you either fire your coach who led the tank or you tell him "Now you coach to win!".How will that go?

Tanking is overrated.We got Duncan cause we were lucky.We were lucky we paired Duncan with Robinson and we were already plus one star before Duncan.We were lucky Popovich was relatively young and hungry to coach and do everything he could to win.

We are spoiled man.But be careful what you wish for cause at some point losing seasons will come again whether we are tanking or not.And it's really not gonna be a pretty sight with how spoiled we are.

offset formation
02-20-2019, 12:01 AM
I just want to win the next one, that's it

Yep. Me too. Being at the game vs Kawhitter at the AT&T Center was quite cathartic. Sweeping them would be ejaculatory.

gambit1990
02-20-2019, 02:34 AM
Just curious, how many games do you attend a year? Not a snarky question, I like the logo under your name too much for that! Just wondering if you go to a lot of games because that's where the bottom line is for the organization. They are likely seeing a big drop-off in revenue. It's obviously a lot harder to sell tickets with Tim, Manu, and TP gone.
i barely even watch spurs games anymore tbh. spurs went from having my three favorite players (timmy, manu, kawhi)... to having a player i've absolutely hated (DDR). if the spurs had landed siakam i'd be more interested.

You really don't seem to fathom what tanking at the current state the Spurs are means.

First of all,you don't tank mid season,let's get that out of the way.You tank in the off season or in the first month of the regular season.

Specifically in the Spurs case this last summer,if we wanted to tank,we should trade Leonard for young players/prospects/expiring contracts and draft picks.Not an all star contract and a low first.Then you trade LMA for a low 1st.

To tank this season,it means Popovich retires in the summer of 2018,cause he sure as hell ain't coaching a tanking team at 70.Hell,Bud couldn't stay and coach a tanking team at 50.

Let's dive even deeper.You don't tank just this year.You have to tank at least 2 years and that's practical whether you like to or not.Why? Cause you have a new coach,rookies and developing players and a team with no identity/ambition/cohesion.

So you have tanked for 2 years,the Spurfans around the globe are depressed,Spurstalk is either empty or we're cursing each other every day on what went wrong,and you start the 2020-21 season trying not to tank.
So you try to sign a max free agent.How will that go?
So you tell kids that were losing for 2 years,"Let's win!".How will that go?
So you either fire your coach who led the tank or you tell him "Now you coach to win!".How will that go?

Tanking is overrated.We got Duncan cause we were lucky.We were lucky we paired Duncan with Robinson and we were already plus one star before Duncan.We were lucky Popovich was relatively young and hungry to coach and do everything he could to win.

We are spoiled man.But be careful what you wish for cause at some point losing seasons will come again whether we are tanking or not.And it's really not gonna be a pretty sight with how spoiled we are.
long post. firstly, i was for blowing the team up last year. i did not think kawhi was coming back to play last season.

spurs still have time to tank this season... i'm not saying go 0-23 but a handful of losses can put them at 12th in the west.

replace DC & QP with young players... and give the young players on the team heavy minutes. give metu 30 minutes a game. is he ready? idc and more importantly it doesn't matter... sign melo to keep casual fans somewhat entertained enough to buy tickets... get those Ls...

it's not about drafting a david or a timmy... it's about putting the franchise in a better position going forward.

GusT15
02-20-2019, 05:56 AM
i barely even watch spurs games anymore tbh. spurs went from having my three favorite players (timmy, manu, kawhi)... to having a player i've absolutely hated (DDR). if the spurs had landed siakam i'd be more interested.

long post. firstly, i was for blowing the team up last year. i did not think kawhi was coming back to play last season.

spurs still have time to tank this season... i'm not saying go 0-23 but a handful of losses can put them at 12th in the west.

replace DC & QP with young players... and give the young players on the team heavy minutes. give metu 30 minutes a game. is he ready? idc and more importantly it doesn't matter... sign melo to keep casual fans somewhat entertained enough to buy tickets... get those Ls...

it's not about drafting a david or a timmy... it's about putting the franchise in a better position going forward.

Yeah,it was a long post,and apparently (from your answer) you didn't bother to read it.It's okay though.

I don't want you to tell us who are your tank commanders man.Tanking is easy,come on.

What i would like for you to tell us,is,if you have any knowledge of a person in the Spurs Organization with a combination of the required executive power and mental instability to fire Gregg Popovich.
Somebody in the Holt family? RC Buford maybe? No?
There is not one person that can realistically fire Popovich besides him stepping down?

Right... So at this point with Pop aboard,we can't realistically tank,can we friend?
Not debating if we should or shouldn't anymore.I'm asking you.Can we tank?

ace3g
02-20-2019, 09:01 PM
https://twitter.com/EvanClosky/status/1098377803626631168

Slippy
02-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Nice one. He on the training track

slick'81
02-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Looks atleast another week away

J_Paco
02-21-2019, 12:00 AM
Yeah,it was a long post,and apparently (from your answer) you didn't bother to read it.It's okay though.

I don't want you to tell us who are your tank commanders man.Tanking is easy,come on.

What i would like for you to tell us,is,if you have any knowledge of a person in the Spurs Organization with a combination of the required executive power and mental instability to fire Gregg Popovich.
Somebody in the Holt family? RC Buford maybe? No?
There is not one person that can realistically fire Popovich besides him stepping down?

Right... So at this point with Pop aboard,we can't realistically tank,can we friend?
Not debating if we should or shouldn't anymore.I'm asking you.Can we tank?

I understand the sentiment of wanting the team to tank and gain a better draft position, but that doesn't guarantee the team will "get on the right track" or find this savior everyone is waiting for.

I'd rather the team ride this season out (playoffs or not) and reassess their roster/future in the Summer with two 1st round draft picks and the flexibility to cut ties with some dead weight (Gasol, Mills, Cunningham and Pondexter).

Like I've said before they have acquired some solid (potential) complimentary pieces (White, Walker, Murray, Poetl and possibly Metu), so now need to find another quality prospect (at SF) and replace old, worn out veterans like the one's I mentioned earlier.

But, the cool thing to do around here is to shit on a top 5 all-time coach and one of the best NBA GM's ever. As if they are Scott Brooks/Ernie Grunfeld combo or something.....

bklynspursfan
02-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Looks atleast another week away

wildbill2u
02-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Re tanking: I don't want to disparage Phiendix or any of the perennial bottom feeders with the charge of tanking, but when you keep hitting the bottom of the fish tank, year after year, you would think they woulld get some superstars again through the draft. It sure looks to me that being a lottery team year after year doesn't necessarily wind up with enough great players to win a championship.

Let the players do their best. If we wind up in the middle of the pack for the draft, we have a great chance to find some hidden gold because we have done it before.

ceperez
02-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Re tanking: I don't want to disparage Phiendix or any of the perennial bottom feeders with the charge of tanking, but when you keep hitting the bottom of the fish tank, year after year, you would think they woulld get some superstars again through the draft. It sure looks to me that being a lottery team year after year doesn't necessarily wind up with enough great players to win a championship.

Let the players do their best. If we wind up in the middle of the pack for the draft, we have a great chance to find some hidden gold because we have done it before.

People keep on wishing that the Spurs act like other tanking teams.

You got to realize that the Spurs just do things differently!!! Accept that reality and move on. Tanking is detrimental to players that are in development. It tells them that is okay to lose! It should be never okay to lose while wearing a Spurs uniform.

sasaint
02-22-2019, 03:06 PM
People keep on wishing that the Spurs act like other tanking teams.

You got to realize that the Spurs just do things differently!!! Accept that reality and move on. Tanking is detrimental to players that are in development. It tells them that is okay to lose! It should be never okay to lose while wearing a Spurs uniform.

Moreover, have you ever heard of "tanking" in the context of any other sport? The NBA has created a culture of gaming the game - finding loopholes to exploit, from the front office to the court. I don't think the Spurs will ever tank, nor do I think it necessary. I think we can rebuild on the go. We just need to be able to re-allocate the salary dedicated to Pau and DeMar, and move Mills or Forbes. We should have moved DeMar prior to the deadline when his value hadn't entirely tanked...

Drom John
02-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Moreover, have you ever heard of "tanking" in the context of any other sport? The NBA has created a culture of gaming the game - finding loopholes to exploit, from the front office to the court. I don't think the Spurs will ever tank, nor do I think it necessary. I think we can rebuild on the go. We just need to be able to re-allocate the salary dedicated to Pau and DeMar, and move Mills or Forbes. We should have moved DeMar prior to the deadline when his value hadn't entirely tanked...

In an era of MLB tanking and limited spending, here's an appreciation of the teams trying to win now
At least some teams are trying to put a watchable product on the field (https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/in-an-era-of-mlb-tanking-and-limited-spending-heres-an-appreciation-of-the-teams-trying-to-win-now/)
by Jonah Keri Jan 16, 2019 at 2:56 pm ET

Astros and Cubs recently, Orioles this year.

NFL
Most obvious, Colts tanking for Luck

NHL
Penguins and Devils tanking for Lemieux

exstatic
02-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Baseball is a tankfest, right now.

sasaint
02-22-2019, 04:05 PM
In an era of MLB tanking and limited spending, here's an appreciation of the teams trying to win now
At least some teams are trying to put a watchable product on the field (https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/in-an-era-of-mlb-tanking-and-limited-spending-heres-an-appreciation-of-the-teams-trying-to-win-now/)
by Jonah Keri Jan 16, 2019 at 2:56 pm ET

Astros and Cubs recently, Orioles this year.

NFL
Most obvious, Colts tanking for Luck

NHL
Penguins and Devils tanking for Lemieux

Baseball is a tankfest, right now.

Compared to the NBA, tanking in other sports is the exception not the rule.

Rosewood
02-22-2019, 06:22 PM
I hope Kawhi's knees explode and bats swarm his twitching body.