PDA

View Full Version : Time to be real about this currently constructed team

SpurPadre
02-05-2019, 01:46 AM
I've said this on the game thread already but I think it deserves its own thread. Reality has finally set for my expectations with this team as constructed with the likelihood that no trade will be made and that a waiver pickup will also probably not be in the cards. But here are my thoughts after coming home from tonight's game:

This was the biggest blowout I've witnessed at the hands of a King's team in my 18+ years of attending Spurs at Kings games. That's all that really needs to be said. Just not the same Spurs we've been spoiled by in the past. 112 points should be enough to beat teams like these and it's frustrating to see how much pressure is put on the offense to have to trade baskets and not miss for 6 consecutive possessions, otherwise the opposing team eventually controls the game. One can say our offense can't keep up with other, younger offenses when they're on fire but 112 points is alot on the road. We shouldn't have to depend on only one player in White to restore some balance off the perimeter defense. We desperately need a trade to stand a chance defensively against higher seeds in the playoffs but even just to win any series without having to go to a likely game 7. That's not to say the offense is perfectly fine the way it is. The shot selection is simply baffling. I've said it before and I'll say it again Forbes has no business taking nearly as many shots as our 3 best players...EVER. But he does. Time after time again. What exacerbates that is that we have another chucker in Mills, who took way too many shots in the 4th as he has consistently done. Pop needs to restrain them offensively because they aren't good enough to merit that kind of aggressiveness when we have LMA, DeRozan and Gay. Even Bertans and Belinelli deserve more shot attempts than those two guys. But back to our lack of defense, we can absorb having chuckers like that if our d wasn't so awful, particularly at the perimeter. Unfortunately, it seems PATFO are intent to settling for the way it is because, "hey Murray got hurt what can we do?" I have to remember that we beat Kawhi at San Antonio and that was our primary goal for the season. Beating Kawhi at Toronto should make it more than we can hope for given this lackluster roster. I know none of you expect this team to ring this year but it would be nice if PATFO weren't so deadset against midseason trades. It would be nice to see a better product on the floor and maximize LMA's best years left in his tank. But all this begs the question: If Championship expectations are out of the question, then why keep LMA now?

Fusternino
02-05-2019, 02:29 AM
White really is the most important player on this team, tbh.

Wouldn't mind sending LMA+whatever to go get AD.

Snaq O'Meal
02-05-2019, 03:07 AM
Trading is easier said than done, especially when the team is stocked with untradable assets. Perhaps liabilities is a more appropriate description. This is what we get when PATFO overpaid for garbage that nobody else wants.

timtonymanu
02-05-2019, 03:19 AM
There’s nothing the team can realistically do to improve their chances, especially this year. This is a learning season for them and they should be improved next year with the return of Murray and improvement of Walker.

In a dream world they trade back DeRozan for Nephew. But that’s not gonna happen. If I were PATFO, I would take offers for DeRozan. Instead they will just accept him on their team and use him to his best advantage. It’s good enough for this team to make the playoffs but they are currently a 1st round exit as their ceiling.

Chucho
02-05-2019, 03:23 AM
Time to be real about these types of threads...nothing can make these any more bearable than the last 2,432 threads like this in the last 90 days.

Hoops Czar
02-05-2019, 03:28 AM

r0drig0lac
02-05-2019, 05:30 AM
White really is the most important player on this team, tbh.

Wouldn't mind sending LMA+whatever to go get AD.

well, Demps would laugh at this proposal, so ok.

skin27
02-05-2019, 06:15 AM
There’s nothing the team can realistically do to improve their chances, especially this year. This is a learning season for them and they should be improved next year with the return of Murray and improvement of Walker.

In a dream world they trade back DeRozan for Nephew. But that’s not gonna happen. If I were PATFO, I would take offers for DeRozan. Instead they will just accept him on their team and use him to his best advantage. It’s good enough for this team to make the playoffs but they are currently a 1st round exit as their ceiling.

I dont see walker improving tbh

RC_Drunkford
02-05-2019, 06:24 AM
There’s nothing the team can realistically do to improve their chances, especially this year.

That's not true, there are plenty of good wings available. Trading Gasol for a SF would do wonders THIS season

Kobe'sAchilles
02-05-2019, 07:04 AM
A trade sounds nice but who's really out there? And don't say Otto porter please. We are the 05 Phoenix Suns right now in that we depend all on offense and play zero defense. Stanley Johnson can't shoot. It's not a matter of will he learn how to shoot it's that he can't. He won't play well with the starters and he won't play well with the bench so he's out. We just had an off-night from 3 but the way the roster is constructed was there's a giant bleeping hole at SF. Imagine that. In reality our roster was pretty amazing and we could've ring this year if Kawhitter didn't quit. This year is a wash. It's unfortunate but it really is. RC needs to hold on to our draft picks for his dear life bc he could maybe pull off a trade for a player he really wants, get lucky and our player that we want falls to us, or take a chance on a player he normally wouldn't take a chance on bc of the pressure of getting the one pick right. Nearly every trade scenario for a wing, the Spurs could get an equal wing (potentially better) in the draft and pay him a lot less than like $26 million a year.

Atl Spur
02-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Someone please sticky this! The dude is basically a sophomore.......he’ll improve:)

Atl Spur
02-05-2019, 08:08 AM
If we could get Prince or Stanley i’d do it. I also still would like to see Huestis and Moore....

skin27
02-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Someone please sticky this! The dude is basically a sophomore.......he’ll improve:)

after 2-3 years walker is not on the team anymore..yeah you read it here first

Keepin' it real
02-05-2019, 09:49 AM
I've said this on the game thread already but I think it deserves its own thread. Reality has finally set for my expectations with this team as constructed with the likelihood that no trade will be made and that a waiver pickup will also probably not be in the cards. But here are my thoughts after coming home from tonight's game:

This was the biggest blowout I've witnessed at the hands of a King's team in my 18+ years of attending Spurs at Kings games. That's all that really needs to be said. Just not the same Spurs we've been spoiled by in the past. 112 points should be enough to beat teams like these and it's frustrating to see how much pressure is put on the offense to have to trade baskets and not miss for 6 consecutive possessions, otherwise the opposing team eventually controls the game. One can say our offense can't keep up with other, younger offenses when they're on fire but 112 points is alot on the road. We shouldn't have to depend on only one player in White to restore some balance off the perimeter defense. We desperately need a trade to stand a chance defensively against higher seeds in the playoffs but even just to win any series without having to go to a likely game 7. That's not to say the offense is perfectly fine the way it is. The shot selection is simply baffling. I've said it before and I'll say it again Forbes has no business taking nearly as many shots as our 3 best players...EVER. But he does. Time after time again. What exacerbates that is that we have another chucker in Mills, who took way too many shots in the 4th as he has consistently done. Pop needs to restrain them offensively because they aren't good enough to merit that kind of aggressiveness when we have LMA, DeRozan and Gay. Even Bertans and Belinelli deserve more shot attempts than those two guys. But back to our lack of defense, we can absorb having chuckers like that if our d wasn't so awful, particularly at the perimeter. Unfortunately, it seems PATFO are intent to settling for the way it is because, "hey Murray got hurt what can we do?" I have to remember that we beat Kawhi at San Antonio and that was our primary goal for the season. Beating Kawhi at Toronto should make it more than we can hope for given this lackluster roster. I know none of you expect this team to ring this year but it would be nice if PATFO weren't so deadset against midseason trades. It would be nice to see a better product on the floor and maximize LMA's best years left in his tank. But all this begs the question: If Championship expectations are out of the question, then why keep LMA now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qu46svpJ5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qu46svpJ5g

A trade sounds nice but who's really out there? And don't say Otto porter please.

Otto porter

after 2-3 years walker is not on the team anymore..yeah you read it here first

Nope, I already read this in several other places. Sorry.

UncleDennis
02-05-2019, 10:59 AM
A trade sounds nice but who's really out there? And don't say Otto porter please. We are the 05 Phoenix Suns right now in that we depend all on offense and play zero defense. Stanley Johnson can't shoot. It's not a matter of will he learn how to shoot it's that he can't. He won't play well with the starters and he won't play well with the bench so he's out. We just had an off-night from 3 but the way the roster is constructed was there's a giant bleeping hole at SF. Imagine that. In reality our roster was pretty amazing and we could've ring this year if Kawhitter didn't quit. This year is a wash. It's unfortunate but it really is. RC needs to hold on to our draft picks for his dear life bc he could maybe pull off a trade for a player he really wants, get lucky and our player that we want falls to us, or take a chance on a player he normally wouldn't take a chance on bc of the pressure of getting the one pick right. Nearly every trade scenario for a wing, the Spurs could get an equal wing (potentially better) in the draft and pay him a lot less than like $26 million a year.

I know Porter isn't that huge name but he might be the best type of player we'd be able to get in these days. The dreams of getting that top superstar in San Antonio seem pretty distant, even with Aldridge, would he have came if he didn't have his family in texas, who knows but that was probably the number one reason for him. More and more all these guys just want to play with each other in a big city. Dave and Tim are relics. Now players just won't play and will get fined and tank their value to get where they want to be.

So with the Warriors sparking this arms race, I don't see the Spurs being able to compete in that same way. I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks even land some big name players before the Spurs do despite NY's never ending inadequacies as an organization. I see a few teams with stacked rosters of guys who plan to play with each other and the smaller less preferred markets having to pull some mid 2000's piston's type rosters outta their asses, not as in that kind of play style but more like, "hey these guys kinda work when you put them all together."

What top players that immediately change a teams ceiling do you think would want to play in SA...I mean like the Durant's of the league. Can you name any without hesitation? I'd be lying if I said I could.

dbestpro
02-05-2019, 11:06 AM
They have excellent role players and 4 and 5th level options all around. They need that third scoring option, preferably at SF that is consistent and not injury prone.

TheGoatishere
02-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Yous are overreacting ..this king team is simply a bad matchup for us . They’re much quicker ,play with more energy and they were home . It was always gonna be a L imo

GreekSpursfan
02-05-2019, 11:12 AM
I might be the biggest Pop stan but even i think he needs to retire at the end of the season so we can finally tank for at least 2 season if not more. I would only keep White, Murray, Davis B. Of course if you want to tank you need tank commanders and we have a lot of those so we keep them too. Trade (if you can) Derozan and LMA or let them go if there is no other way.
Spurs should never become a treadmill of mediocrity. Give Becky the keys for the transitional period and see if she has it.

KDKSpurs24
02-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Yous are overreacting ..this king team is simply a bad matchup for us . They’re much quicker ,play with more energy and they were home . It was always gonna be a L imo
True and people need to stop acting like we’d have a chance against Denver in the playoffs then because they have young athletic players too surrounded by Jokic. Plus they would have that great altitude home court advantage.

elbamba1
02-05-2019, 11:17 AM
I don't care about a trade. We do not have assets that anyone wants. I want Walker to play over Cunningham and Pondexter. I would like to see Walker get 15-18 minutes a night.

I would like to see Gasol never play another minute unless the Spurs are up or down by 20 with under 3 minutes to play.

With White, Murry, and Walker, Spurs could have nice young pieces going into next season.

TheGoatishere
02-05-2019, 11:18 AM
True and people need to stop acting like we’d have a chance against Denver in the playoffs then because they have young athletic players too surrounded by Jokic. Plus they would have that great altitude home court advantage.

Playoffs are a different animal . Denvers inexperience will hurt them

KDKSpurs24
02-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Playoffs are a different animal . Denvers inexperience will hurt them
What playoff winning experience do we have...? Pau has the most and he’s useless.

RC_Drunkford
02-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Bazemore, Taurean Prince, Aaron Gordon, Burks, Ross just to name a few. I would not give up a 1st round pick for them, but if you can get one of them on a reasonable deal or in the buy out market you do it. Ross for example can be had for 2 2nd rounders

ernest787
02-05-2019, 11:45 AM
people who think tanking automatically fixes everything are funny. look at the bottom feeders in the league and how long they have been tanking for

Spurs are not a championship team right now but who is besides the Warriors?

TheGoatishere
02-05-2019, 12:07 PM
What playoff winning experience do we have...? Pau has the most and he’s useless.

Patty? Belinelli? LMA ,Demar(even tho he sucks in the playoffs)

Denver has literally one player in their rotation with playoff experience and that’s Mason Plumlee.

John B
02-05-2019, 12:37 PM
I’ve never recall Spurs doing a mid-season trade, I don’t know exactly why, maybe Pop doesn’t think he can trust a new guy in the middle of a season, maybe loyalty to players and its long effect to how FA sees Spurs as “good” place to stay. But for whatever reason, I’ve never recall Spurs doing mid-season trade for the 30 years I’ve followed Spurs. I like to be wrong because I really feel we are one good SF from being dangerous in the playoffs, but then again that’s why Pop and RC have been COY and EOY multiple times.

slick'81
02-05-2019, 12:40 PM
But were a top 3 seed waiting to gel and its only feb.tbh

R. DeMurre
02-05-2019, 12:44 PM
A lot of hand-wringing here, but I guess it shows how high the standards are for the Spurs... If the Spurs are making the playoffs two years in a row after losing Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Green, and Leonard in a two year period, that's pretty miraculous. I pretty much wrote off this season as a transition year, so the idea of winning a title never entered into the equation for me. I still have faith that with two first round draft picks, a healthy D Murray, an older & more experienced Walker, and potential trade chips (DeRozan, Forbes, Belinelli, Poeltl, Pau's expiring contract), the Spurs will compete next year at a higher level than this year.

Don't you think the expectation of competing for a championship the season after Leonard is traded is a bit much?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
I’ve never recall Spurs doing a mid-season trade, I don’t know exactly why, maybe Pop doesn’t think he can trust a new guy in the middle of a season, maybe loyalty to players and its long effect to how FA sees Spurs as “good” place to stay. But for whatever reason, I’ve never recall Spurs doing mid-season trade for the 30 years I’ve followed Spurs. I like to be wrong because I really feel we are one good SF from being dangerous in the playoffs, but then again that’s why Pop and RC have been COY and EOY multiple times.

Malik Rose for Nazr Mohammed, RJ for Stephen Jackson.

slick'81
02-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Dont forget the banger charles smith

r0drig0lac
02-05-2019, 12:48 PM
A lot of hand-wringing here, but I guess it shows how high the standards are for the Spurs... If the Spurs are making the playoffs two years in a row after losing Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Green, and Leonard in a two year period, that's pretty miraculous. I pretty much wrote off this season as a transition year, so the idea of winning a title never entered into the equation for me. I still have faith that with two first round draft picks, a healthy D Murray, an older & more experienced Walker, and potential trade chips (DeRozan, Forbes, Belinelli, Poeltl, Pau's expiring contract), the Spurs will compete next year at a higher level than this year.

Don't you think the expectation of competing for a championship the season after Leonard is traded is a bit much?

no one is competing for the championship until Durant undoes the most cowardly decision in professional sports history, criticisms of some front office decisions remain and have nothing to do with whether or not they are competing for the championship

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Dont forget the banger charles smith

Ouch! Yeah, terrible deal. Bad memories.

benefactor
02-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Time to be real about OP and faggotry

SpurPadre
02-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Time to be real about OP and faggotry

Cool story, bro.

R. DeMurre
02-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Again, championships are the obvious goal, but I just think that too many fans don't appreciate what the Spurs have accomplished in the last two years.

Last year, with Tim Duncan just retired, Parker not 100% after his injury, and their (by far) best player sitting out the whole year, they STILL make the playoffs. Denver didn't even make the playoffs last year, with a healthy young squad!

This year, with their young starting PG out, their 2nd young PG missing an early chunk of the year, and new pieces to incorporate, they're STILL at the #6 spot, ahead of a healthy Minnesota, ahead of Utah, New Orleans, and both Los Angeles teams. Bryn Forbes started the season probably 5th in the depth chart for guards and now-- out of necessity-- he's starting! For most teams, that alone would be the end of playoff hopes.

elbamba1
02-05-2019, 02:19 PM

Didn't they trade Brent Barry for Thomas?

Joseph Kony
02-05-2019, 02:30 PM
What really sucks is if everything else stayed the same roster wise except Spurs kept DG and Kawhi, we would easily be the first/second seed right now with a legit playoff team. Fuck you nephew :pctoss

DAF86
02-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Not much can be done as long as DeRozan and Aldridge are our two main options, tbh.

pad300
02-05-2019, 03:55 PM

30 years hey... maybe it's alzheimer's.

Malik for Nazr

HWSNBN for Sjax

were both fairly memorable.

https://airalamo.com/2018/01/21/san-antonio-spurs-nba-trade-deadline-history/

spurraider21
02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
its almost like its difficult to recover from having your 3 franchise players age/leave and then the new franchise player you miraculously wound up with demands to leave

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-05-2019, 05:58 PM
The team is actually a whole lot better than I thought they would be at this point in the season. I like how White, Bertans, and Jacob are playing. Walker looks like he might be an NBA player also. If RC does well in the off season this team could be a top 3 team next season. If we make the playoffs this year that is further than what I thought they would at the beginning of the season.

DAF86
02-05-2019, 09:10 PM
At least we aren't the Lakers.

John B
02-05-2019, 09:34 PM
30 years hey... maybe it's alzheimer's.

Malik for Nazr

HWSNBN for Sjax

were both fairly memorable.

https://airalamo.com/2018/01/21/san-antonio-spurs-nba-trade-deadline-history/
:lmao seriously you googled those. :lol Okay I stand corrected, but seriously Nazr and washed-up Jackson?? I guess Malik was pretty serviceable and crowd favorite and he got traded. Jefferson was meh. I’m hoping the trend continues and we ship out meh-Pau for someone who can actually defend.

sasaint
02-05-2019, 10:08 PM

Yep. LeBron is on his way to wrecking that franchise for another decade.

daslicer
02-05-2019, 10:17 PM

:lol Laker fans thought this was the year they would finally be better than the Spurs.

wildcardX
02-06-2019, 12:01 AM

He has already improved, not by great leaps but he is coming back from injury. Give him a chance. Guys like Cojo, Kyle, Simmons, Murray, Forbes, Bertans have all developed into useful players. Those younger guys took them a few years to become solid players.

wildcardX
02-06-2019, 12:10 AM
Yep. LeBron is on his way to wrecking that franchise for another decade.

https://twitter.com/big_business_/status/1092975648077799424/photo/1

sasaint
02-06-2019, 12:20 AM
https://twitter.com/big_business_/status/1092975648077799424/photo/1

Haha! I loved the bed-burning of the Lakers' baby core! This could turn out to be a dream come true. LeBron cannibalizes the hated Lakers whle the media finally turns on LeBron.

wildcardX
02-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Haha! I loved the bed-burning of the Lakers' baby core! This could turn out to be a dream come true. LeBron cannibalizes the hated Lakers whle the media finally turns on LeBron.

Hopefully. I like that shot of him on the bench by himself. Probably in the locker room asking Lance Stephenson to still be his friend. Then telling the media he's heading to the club with his good buddy Lance.

sasaint
02-06-2019, 12:45 AM
Hopefully. I like that shot of him on the bench by himself. Probably in the locker room asking Lance Stephenson to still be his friend. Then telling the media he's heading to the club with his good buddy Lance.

Yeah, get Lance t blow in his ear for ole times' sake! Even the sycophantic NBA media-types can't ignore that shot of the pariah on the bench all by his lonesome.

John B
02-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Just earlier the season those kids were excited to be playing with The King. It turns out who actually just needs them for bargaining chips. Even the coach must think he’s the cancer who will cost them their jobs. Sad :lmao

itzsoweezee
02-06-2019, 03:00 AM
This had been one of pop's best coaching seasons. The front office screw ups the last 3 or 4 years, however, are responsible for the current sad state of the team. This roster is just not good. DeMar is just not capable of being a star in the west, Forbes should be a back up, poetl and Pau aren't capable big men, Patty is washed ...

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 06:17 AM
people who think tanking automatically fixes everything are funny. look at the bottom feeders in the league and how long they have been tanking for

Warriors weren't a championship team either, but they constructed the team the right way until their young players built chemistry and got better... Just because you don't win immediately doesn't mean you keep a shit roster the way it is... Make moves to position yourself to be a championship team in the future

monty4329
02-06-2019, 06:29 AM

Yes there is people out there that believe you can tank and pick another Admiral or Tim....They are totally delusional.

Even Philly had to admit tanking didn't really work out without further trades for max players -Butler, Harris.
Or ask NY how did it go with Porz?

The only way to have a championship-level team in SA is to trade for the right players (the "Spurs material" phylosophy worked extremely well for 20 years).

Besides, making the playoffs as 6th seed with an honest chance on the first round, the year after nephew left and without Murray, it is very gratifying.

monty4329
02-06-2019, 06:34 AM
This had been one of pop's best coaching seasons. The front office screw ups the last 3 or 4 years...

Which screws up? Did you have a better offer for nephew (and I don't like DDR, to be clear)? PO didn't, you could have called them with that offer...
What could you REALISTICALLY get on the market instead of Pau, Patty, Forbes? scrubs on rookie contracts or stat-padding veterans.

-65 days below .500 in the last 21 years....FO did, is doing, and will do the best job in the NBA: numbers don't lie.

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 06:38 AM
Which screws up? Did you have a better offer for nephew (and I don't like DDR, to be clear)? PO didn't, you could have called them with that offer...
What could you REALISTICALLY get on the market instead of Pau, Patty, Forbes? scrubs on rookie contracts or stat-padding veterans.

-65 days below .500 in the last 21 years....FO did, is doing, and will do the best job in the NBA: numbers don't lie.

They could have traded LMA when he wanted to be traded... They could have NOT given trash contracts to patty and Pau... They could have signed Derrick Rose... If what Boogie said was true, and no other team wanted him, that was a miss for the Spurs... Philly got Tobias Harris for cheap... We could have traded for someone that isn't DeRozan, etc

monty4329
02-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Warriors weren't a championship team either, but they constructed the team the right way until their young players built chemistry and got better... Just because you don't win immediately doesn't mean you keep a shit roster the way it is... Make moves to position yourself to be a championship team in the future

Green #35
Thomson #11

Everybody else except Curry #7 was acquired via trade or FA.

You don't need to tank, actually it doesn't even work otherwise Philly would have won last year and this year, instead they don't win shit. You need to attract FA, and trade well. Especially if you are in a non-attractive market.

monty4329
02-06-2019, 06:52 AM
They could have traded LMA when he wanted to be traded... They could have NOT given trash contracts to patty and Pau... They could have signed Derrick Rose... If what Boogie said was true, and no other team wanted him, that was a miss for the Spurs... Philly got Tobias Harris for cheap... We could have traded for someone that isn't DeRozan, etc

What are you talking about? You want Cousins (cancer) for a year then you give him the max, or nothing because he already distroyed your team?
Derrick Rose, is that a joke (and he is broken again)?

Who was there instead of DDR? Who?

Philly paid a lot for 3 months rental of Harris (whom I love), they lost one of the best rookies, and they will have to give the max to Harris or lose him this summer.

Traded LMA? Why? For whom? Who was out there that woudl have played better than him last year and this year?

KDKSpurs24
02-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Green #35
Thomson #11

You don't need to tank, actually it doesn't even work otherwise Philly would have won last year and this year, instead they don't win shit. You need to attract FA, and trade well. Especially if you are in a non-attractive market.
And don’t forget to add that Philly’s tank plan wouldn’t have even worked out if their first picks didn’t keep getting injured for the whole season each year! They had a ton of luck and STILL missed with Noel and Okafor. Tanking barely works..

monty4329
02-06-2019, 07:18 AM
And don’t forget to add that Philly’s tank plan wouldn’t have even worked out if their first picks didn’t keep getting injured for the whole season each year! They had a ton of luck and STILL missed with Noel and Okafor. Tanking barely works..

It never does. You just need to make the right picks, and get a ton of luck.

It is enough to look at any of the past drafts, most of the first rounders didn't ever make a starting position, some were out of the NBA pretty soon.
You can pick Melo or Bosh or Wade only if somebody picks Milicic before you...

Or you can pick Fulk, have nothing in return for you sweet tanking, and watch somebody pick Tatum, or even Mitchell at 13...

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Green #35
Thomson #11

Who said anything about tanking? You're agreeing with me... The warriors made moves to build their team into a dynasty... They didn't stay pat simply because they knew they wouldn't win back then

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 10:07 AM
What are you talking about? You want Cousins (cancer) for a year then you give him the max, or nothing because he already distroyed your team?
Derrick Rose, is that a joke (and he is broken again)?

Who was there instead of DDR? Who?

Philly paid a lot for 3 months rental of Harris (whom I love), they lost one of the best rookies, and they will have to give the max to Harris or lose him this summer.

Traded LMA? Why? For whom? Who was out there that woudl have played better than him last year and this year?

You clearly don't get it... So what if you have to pay Tobias... That's how it works! ALL players are available... It's a freaking trade! No one knew Porzingis was available until he got traded... I'd ship BOTH LMA and DDR for PorZ (even though I think one of them would have been enough)... There are MANY players we can trade for... That's how trades work... Free agency isn't the only way to build your team... Signing old ass players to overpaid extensions isn't the way to build your future

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 10:07 AM
It never does. You just need to make the right picks, and get a ton of luck.

It is enough to look at any of the past drafts, most of the first rounders didn't ever make a starting position, some were out of the NBA pretty soon.
You can pick Melo or Bosh or Wade only if somebody picks Milicic before you...

Or you can pick Fulk, have nothing in return for you sweet tanking, and watch somebody pick Tatum, or even Mitchell at 13...

As a spurs fan, u should never say tanking never works... Lmfao

monty4329
02-06-2019, 10:14 AM
As a spurs fan, u should never say tanking never works... Lmfao

Tim was a stroke of luck from the lottery. We could have had TMG or Van Horn.....I think we got lucky enough not to test basketball gods again

UncleDennis
02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Tim was a stroke of luck from the lottery. We could have had TMG or Van Horn.....I think we got lucky enough not to test basketball gods again

Van Horn and his terrible tube socks lol

JPB
02-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Paragraphs people, paragraphs.

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 01:51 PM

How was it a stroke of luck? We got the first seed because we tanked... That completely goes against what u said NEVER works

monty4329
02-06-2019, 02:07 PM
How was it a stroke of luck? We got the first seed because we tanked... That completely goes against what u said NEVER works

No, there were teams with worse record, we literally won the lottery. Just luck. If you call that 'working" then have fun at the casino.

snickles
02-06-2019, 05:29 PM

Barry for JR Smith had the paperwork gone through in time.

rascal
02-06-2019, 07:04 PM
No, there were teams with worse record, we literally won the lottery. Just luck. If you call that 'working" then have fun at the casino.

The Spurs tanked to get into a better position to win the lottery.

rascal
02-06-2019, 11:09 PM

Only The Celtics and Washington had worse records and Washington lost their 1st round pick for signing Juwan Howard. So the Spurs had the 2nd best chance by odds.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-07-2019, 03:02 AM
The Spurs tanked to get into a better position to win the lottery.

I watched that season, they were so bad that a few more games of post-2-major-injuries-50 wouldn't have made a difference. Even the few games he played that season he wasn't very good and they were still losing.

The Spurs tanked in 97 the same way Mavs are tanking now by not playing Porzingis.

duncan2k5
02-07-2019, 05:24 AM

It worked... We tanked to be in the lottery to be able to get as high a draft pick as possible... It literally worked...