PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Kings - Feb. 4, 2019

timvp
02-05-2019, 02:45 AM
https://i.imgur.com/OU6x2uY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/32qkPSl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wQ565rs.jpg

The 2019 Rodeo Road Trip started out with a dud in Sacramento. The Spurs dropped to 32-23 after a 127-112 loss against a 28-25 Kings team fighting for a playoff spot in the Western Conference.

The pattern throughout the game was consistent: The Kings built a lead, the Spurs battled back, the Kings rebuilt the lead, the Spurs battled back, the Kings rebuilt the lead, the Spurs battled back, on and on and on. But, as it turned out, the Spurs could never gain enough traction to mount a legit run.

Despite the defeat, San Antonio did a lot right. They shot well from within the three-point arc (53.2%), shot well at the charity stripe (90.5%), took care of the ball (eight turnovers), crashed the offensive glass (15) and rebounded well on the defensive end (grabbed 79.5% of available rebounds).

The Spurs loss rests on two factors: errant three-point shooting and not having Derrick White. The NBA's best three-point shooting team hit nine of their 32 three-point bombs despite getting plenty of open looks. Without White, who missed the game with a foot injury (he's out at least the next two games), the Spurs were missing their best perimeter defender and that unmistakably led to an even more porous defensive effort than usual.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
I was largely pleased with how LaMarcus Aldridge played. He put in work on the offensive end as he battled on the offensive boards, fought his way to the line for a game-high ten attempts and his deep post position in the paint routinely created space for three-point shooters. Defensively, he was decent. Aldridge was stout near the rim but was a step slow when helping and wasn't too willing to travel outside of the paint.
Grade: B
Summary: It wasn't an inspired effort from Aldridge but he was fine.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
With Derrick White out with injury, DeMar DeRozan had the ball in his hands a lot more often. And he produced. DeRozan looked a lot more comfortable in this role and was able to maintain his rhythm scoring-wise. While he didn't look 100% physically, his 24 points on 15 field goal attempts was definitely efficient. Playmaking-wise, DeRozan wasn't as good as we've seen from him but he did do a lot better job of taking care of ball than he has in recent weeks. Defensively, though, it was a struggle. The Spurs hardly got any stops when he was on the court and it wasn't a coincidence. He was unable to stop penetration and was slow to rotate out to shooters.
Grade: B
Summary: Does DeRozan prefer to play point guard? It looks like it.

-------------

Rudy Gay
https://i.imgur.com/vqYr2we.png
On offense, I didn't always love Rudy Gay's shot-selection but he made up for those questionable decisions by being the team's best passer on this night. He's becoming better and better at feeding players in the paint when he's perched out on the perimeter. Defensively, Gay looked slow a lot of the time going up against the springy athletes on Sacramento's roster. However, he gave good effort and exhibited some versatility by seamlessly battling in the post one possession and then guarding out to the three-point line the next.
Grade: B-
Summary: Gay wasn't good or bad.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
The good: Bryn Forbes continues to show potential in terms of creating his own shots. He shot well from two-point range, helped out on the boards more than usual and generally played hard. The bad: Forbes was one of many Spurs marksman inept from three-point distance. While he played hard on defense, he got driven around, shot over and physically overwhelmed at a disturbing rate.
Grade: C
Summary: Forbes was a defensive liability and didn't shoot straight enough.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Davis Bertans was in the starting lineup with White sidelined. On the offensive end, Bertans was the only three-point shooter who was hitting the target. If anything, the Latvian should have been shooting more; the vast majority of plays Pop called were for Bertans but he wasn't letting enough fly. While he's showing a burgeoning ability to take the ball off the dribble, the best version of Bertans is the one who let's it go from deep whenever there's a sliver of daylight. Defensively, he was one of the many players who wasn't effective (the Kings were scoring on him right and left) but the effort was there and he grabbed a season-high eight rebounds.
Summary: Bertans was pretty good but could have been better.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
The Spurs were desperate for an offensive punch from their bench. Unfortunately, Marco Belinelli was shooting blanks. He was getting clear looks -- he just wasn't connecting. That's bad timing for a guy who has been blazing as of late. Defensively, the team's worst pound-for-pound defender was doing what we've come to expect. It wasn't for a lack of effort, Belinelli just wasn't quick enough to stay with the Kings perimeter threats.
Grade: C-
Summary: Belinelli laid a poorly timed egg.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
It's safe to say Patty Mills is currently icing his shooting shoulder after this game. The Australian didn't see a shot he didn't like in Sacramento. And though I usually appreciate when Mills is aggressive, he took it too far this game. He was oftentimes teeing off without setting his feet or taking time to actually look at the rim. Defensively, uh, let's just say Mills was part of the problem. The Kings point guards shot a combined 16-of-19 from the floor and Mills had a front row seat for many of those attempts.
Grade: C-
Summary: Too many shots, not enough defense.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
Jakob Poeltl did good work on the offensive glass, per usual, and finished reasonably well around the rim. Defensively, he was able to provide ample help out on the perimeter and played strong transition defense. On the other side of the coin, Poeltl had some frustrating plays on the offensive end (a perfect pass bouncing off his hand, not holding his ground and letting his man steal the inlet pass -- to name two) and I thought he could have been sturdier in the paint as far as defending the rim and snatching defensive caroms.
Summary: Poeltl won the coin toss and got the majority of the backup center minutes.

-------------

Pau Gasol
https://i.imgur.com/oF0jVre.png
Against the speedy Kings squad, Pau Gasol looked even more glacially slow than normal. He couldn't do much more than foul on the defensive end and hope to get down the court in time on the offensive end. If we're being honest, though, there's no reason for him to have been playing at all.
Grade: C
Summary: Gasol was predictably unable to keep up.

-------------

Dante Cunningham
https://i.imgur.com/W3QWUCI.png
Credit where credit is due: Dante Cunningham played well. His defense was improved, particularly when it came to making quick rotations and reading who to pick up in transition. On offense, Cunningham made smart passes and knocked down his lone attempt. Well done.
Grade: B+
Summary: Cunningham gave reasons for Pop to play him again.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
Yes, the reasons the Spurs lost (three-point shooting, no White) weren't Pop's fault but he didn't help matters by shoehorning Gasol into the rotation. And, considering the porosity, I would have also appreciate more anger and action from Pop in response to the lack of defense. I did like the countless plays for Bertans, however.
Grade: C+
Summary: Why Gasol?

Looking ahead: Not a terrible loss but also not the way the Spurs wanted the Rodeo Road Trip to begin.

Next up is a difficult back-to-back against the Warriors and Blazers. Splitting those two games would be nice. Shall be a challenge. Let's hope the Spurs are up for it.

WallyTiger
02-05-2019, 03:11 AM
Why Gasol?:bang

Hoops Czar
02-05-2019, 03:30 AM
DeRozen is empty calories. Whether or not he puts up a statline, he just doesn't make the team better.

KimmyGib
02-05-2019, 03:38 AM
Belinelli was an F- tbh

monty4329
02-05-2019, 03:53 AM
it went bettetr than I thought, honestly. The Kings are a horrible matchup for SA.
Too many good athletic guards and SF. They are really unguardable for the Spurs.
I liked a lot that Pop tried to pound the basket within the paint, it would have worked well if the 3-point shooting was better: but give credit to the Kings, many of SA 3-pointers were a bit off timing, they guarded them well. Pity Marco couldn't hit a bathtub today, uncharacteristic for him.

DDR less lethargic than usual, but Lord does he need some ball-handling practice...He is always on the brink of losing the ball while dribbling.

I'm losing faith in Pau's recovery, it was potentially a good game for him and he is back already enough time to show some footwork improvement.

All in all, a very expected loss.

GusT15
02-05-2019, 04:55 AM
The next three are all expected L's and we really shouldn't be so downhearted by them.

If we manage to get a W in Portland without White it would be most welcomed but would require a monster game from LMA and the role player's 3 to fall at higher % than what they hit normally (cause with White out we know Lillard and McCollum will catch fire at some point).

Nevertheless we should win at Memphis and we are gonna be around 47-49 W's in the end,the way the schedule is constructed.

Get well soon Derrick White,the Spurs defense is really suffering when you're not playing.

MoSpur02
02-05-2019, 05:00 AM
28% from 3pt land isn't going to cut it when you live and die by the three. Patty Mills chucked up way too many shots. Not putting all the blame on him, but he really sucked tonight and I think it hurt the team. Our defense sucked and this is where we'll miss White the most. As it is our defense overall sucks and now the Spurs are playing w/out of their best perimeter defender?

RC_Drunkford
02-05-2019, 05:07 AM
I would've thought the team won the way the grades look. Plenty of B's and some C's. Why did we lose?

vavvi
02-05-2019, 05:11 AM
Bad matchup, lethargic D, weird rotations from Pop (Poeltl-LA pairing was as usual a disaster), and we still had a chance if our 3pt shooters were hitting. Early in the season it would have been a 30+ points blowout loss.
I would prefer more touches for LA though.

PS. Is Bagley always that impressive or only against the Spurs?

venitian navigator
02-05-2019, 05:24 AM
Thanks as always for the grades. I agree with monty 4329 in the sense that it was clear that our 3 points attempts were often contested, while their ones were quite always quite open...that's the story of our team defense, expecially on the back court...Mills, Forbes, Belinelli and DDR quite everytime, Gay and Bertans often, are a step slow and are so beaten easily by most of back court nba athletes...if them and the bigs (namely LMA, Poeltl... Pau simply can't anymore) are slow to rotate or provide help defense, the consequence is easily a free shot, be it from 3 or from 2. This means that if a fresh and young team like the Kings are has a decent shooting game, we are in big trouble...because, while they are often capable to contest our shots, we have not enough young players that can play defense, and the old ones can't compare the opposite rythm of the game. That's why, as TIMVP said, White presence for the team is, as of now, the equivalent of our team playing perimeter defense...and his absence, the equivalent of the main reason we lose.
That said, I see no big alternatives...Only thing I would have tried is to play Walker from the beginning...maybe the outcome would have been the same, but his young legs alone could have given to our defense the chance of a breathe of fresh air...and at least his presence would have been something different from the losing weapon (in all games they don't shoot 100 from 3 point range when they are both on the court) of the Mills - Forbes backcourt...

r0drig0lac
02-05-2019, 05:26 AM
Gasol, Marco and Forbes: F

monty4329
02-05-2019, 05:38 AM
PS. Is Bagley always that impressive or only against the Spurs?

Yes. I watch them often, the Kings have great young core. Watch out in 1-2 years for Bagley+Giles, they are really very good.
If Sacto FO will be able to keep the young ones instead of trying short-termed trades to get into playoffs this year, they can be a solid team for years to come.

Besides, I would trade them for ZeBo, I can envision him giving 5-8 good playoffs minutes to SA once he gets back from his injury.

ceperez
02-05-2019, 06:03 AM
What a damn waste. Spurs were outgunned by a young Kings team.

PATFO should have at least started Walker IV in place of the injure White.

This team is just too slow to keep up with athletic 3 point shooting teams.

RodNIc91
02-05-2019, 06:45 AM
I just got to see the first quarter, but Pop exploded on Bertans because of a defensive mistake. I think I saw enough fire from him, don’t you Timvp

Regarding DeRozan, now that you’ve mentioned it, maybe he’s sucking so bad because he liked better his PG role of earlier this season. However, it’s clear that when White handles the ball something good usually happens. Is it just a matter of learning how to share the ball? Could staggering their minutes help the cause?

sananspursfan21
02-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Hield has been crazy so far this year and Fox has progressed the way he’s been expected to. Tough loss to a team that’s growing into themselves. Not much shame in losing to them. However, the same Spurs that killed the Raptors would have ran these guys out of the gym. Hopefully these guys can hit that stride, there’s a lot of potential still here.

r0drig0lac
02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
Hield has been crazy so far this year and Fox has progressed the way he’s been expected to. Tough loss to a team that’s growing into themselves. Not much shame in losing to them. However, the same Spurs that killed the Raptors would have ran these guys out of the gym. Hopefully these guys can hit that stride, there’s a lot of potential still here.

Hield will be a star, I had already said that before his draft, Pels was completely stolen in the trade

sananspursfan21
02-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Hield will be a star, I had already said that before his draft, Pels was completely stolen in the trade

He’s another guy who can shoot it from the parking lot. He’s definitely made for today’s game. I like the Kings a lot. I hate any opposing team on game day but they’re one of my favorites to watch right now. A lot of likable players

Coach X
02-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the grades timvp. I appreciate the work as always.

Agree in most of it but disagree in the following:

DeRozan's defense was ok. Not great as he was late a couple times, but he contested well several 1on1 situations and worked well in transition D, quickly matching-up. Iman Shumpert played a fantastic offensive game making good plays and assisting as he never does. Give him credit.

Gay's defense was terrible. Just in the first 6 minutes, he made 3 mistakes. He was destroyed by Bagley in the second quarter. Rudy tried harder in the second half but didn't have the minutes in the fourth Q.

Poetl's effort in the first half was inexistent. He couldn't play any softer. Sure he was yelled in the halftime and jumped to the court with a different attitude but still made mistakes.

Pop tried the two bigs lineup with disastrous consequences in the first quarter. Then tried again in the third for a short span, obtaining the same result. Finally went to the Forbes + Mills backcourt at 6' mark in the fourth and "surprisingly" the amazing backcourt integrated by Ferrell and Bogdanovic broke Spurs defense playing P&R. The old man didn't have his best night at all.

In the two bigs minutes, Spurs played faster instead of slower, taking quick shots by Marco and Mills specially. This was stupid and helped Kings exploiting Spurs weakness in transition defense. The team must be smarter and execute better if wants to win on the road.

I'm really disappointed with our interior defense. It looked like the rookies were our players and Giles and Bagley were the veterans just playing harder, more physical. Poetl, Gay and Gasol should watch the tape and be ashamed of his lack of toughness. Aldridge could have some clips as well.

No White outside and THIS inside? Big trouble.

Harry Callahan
02-05-2019, 10:03 AM
When you suck as an organization for 10-15 years like the Kings, you get the benefit of high lottery picks year after year after year. This is what the Kansas City Kings are experiencing now. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then. They now have a nice collection of young talent and it is showing.

And yet their record is still worse than a rebuilding (for them) Spurs team.

The Spurs are what they have been since October - a nice team that is a very likely first round exit if they make the playoffs. That hasn't really changed.

I'll just try to enjoy the fine play (most nights) of guys like LMA, D White, Bertans, and most of the bench guys. Hopefully Walker will get a little run this year to see his potential. DeRozan is pretty good, but that's not good enough at $27MM per.

UncleDennis
02-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Super athletic teams always kinda shit on the spurs but it does show how much we really depend on White and Belli to have good games. It's a shame that White got injured right at the start of the road trip, the warriors and trailblazers are gonna cause all kinds of issues with the most healthy of line ups now we'll have to do it without White.

Sacramento is actually a pretty like-able team, hungry young athletic players. Shumpert even looked good, I swear I've seen him play about 3 great games his whole career and for a guy who seems to have all the tools its disappointing that he hasn't even been able to be a better Tony Allen. Anyways, you just know it's only a matter of time before their FO trades for some mostly has-been player who blows his acl and takes the whole team down for another 2 years.

GreekSpursfan
02-05-2019, 11:22 AM
LMA was fucking atrocious defensively, whatever good he was doing on the offensive end was negated by his defensive ineptitude, consistently watching guys have lay ups, not boxing out. Last season he was great defensively, this season he's terrible.

SpursDynasty85
02-05-2019, 11:44 AM
LMA was fucking atrocious defensively, whatever good he was doing on the offensive end was negated by his defensive ineptitude, consistently watching guys have lay ups, not boxing out. Last season he was great defensively, this season he's terrible.

To be fair. Him carrying such a big load now. Somethings gotta give. He is getting older now.

TDomination
02-05-2019, 12:50 PM
We looked like the Spurs team before White came into the lineup. We could not stop a single player during those times. Then once White came in and finally got into rhythm we could actually not only make stops but make them in key moments. Not every game obviously but it was a huge improvement.

It just goes to show how much effect 1 really solid defender can do for the rest of the team.

Example: LMA is a decent to good interior defender but with no perimeter help he knows that he's going to have to do more. But with a little perimeter helps, it alleviates some of the load and makes it easier when someone does drive past White.

All Spurs fans should be very excited to see a combination of White and Murray. Defensively we will be night and day compared to this year.
And if we are able to get a decent 3 & D player over the summer, we could be pretty decent next year. Heck, i'd take Danny Green back if he wants to come back. Would probably have to be off the bench though. I just hate being so bad on defense.

spurraider21
02-05-2019, 02:03 PM
forbes/patty/marco combined to shoot 5-22 from deep. with white out, we need our other guards/shooters to pick up the slack. they didnt step up. that was that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-05-2019, 02:37 PM
I think White being out truly hurts us against a team with young, athletic guards and wings like Sacto. But, had the Spurs been hitting their shots as they usually do, they somehow still would have been in this game. The Kings weren't doing much to stop the 3, the Spurs just weren't hitting them. I do see us taking far too many questionable threes lately, rather than working for the best shot.

Patty destroyed our momentum late, with two of those ill-advised, non-feet-set, 20 seconds on the shot clock, three attempts, that Timvp referred to. Both of those attempts, with around 5 minutes left in the 4th and the Spurs hovering on a deficit around 10 points, totally killed the Spurs momentum. On defense, Patty and Forbes had the Kings salivating when they had the ball, and they made no secret of going right at those two at every opportunity. Seeing the anti-dynamic duo out on the floor together late in a winnable game is rough to watch for those of us used to seeing the Spurs play back when the team had the ability to actually stop the opposition from scoring once in a while. Mills and Forbes should both be situational players, and again, it's a testament to Pop's coaching this year that this team is 32-23 with those two both playing significant minutes. Ideal world has them both averaging around 12 minutes a night, backing up players more built for the NBA. When you add to that tandem, DDR, who is not much of a defender, and Gay who's better than those other three, but can be overmatched against a speedy opponent, and this group has to play above their heads to stop anybody.

Patty is the team's MVP towel waver, and needs to be utilized according to his strengths.

spurs10
02-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Considering the next three games, this one had a lot riding on it. I'm afraid that without White, as you said, we don't have the perimeter defense to keep up with these fast backcourts...hello GSW and Blazers. It's doubtful we shoot this bad again, so maybe we can split the next two. I sure was liking our standing, but think it will be hard to hang in there. I wasn't expecting this RRT to be pretty and the AS break should help get everyone rested.
:flag:

BackHome
02-05-2019, 04:51 PM
The only good thing is the Jazz are loosing to so we may loose but not fall in rankings.

DPG21920
02-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Bruh - Pop had a lineup of Pau/Beli/Forbes/Mills on the floor together :lol

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Solid recap but the grades were a bit high in my opinion

timtonymanu
02-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Lol it’s always the same story with Forbes. “I appreciate the effort but he’s just not good enough.”

Can’t wait till we’re no longer starting Forbes. It’s gonna be ugly when teams expose him in the playoffs

tmtcsc
02-05-2019, 11:49 PM
Not sure how Rudy gets a B -. He was definitely bad - a C- or D+ at best. His defense was atrocious. This whole team sucks on defense and its pathetic they can't weather the loss of a second year player.