PDA

View Full Version : Does Manu Ginobili Deserve a Statue in SA

Gino-Step
02-05-2019, 08:32 AM
I am flying all the way from Asia to San Antonio, Texas for the first time to watch the jersey retirement and hoping to understand better what all the festivities will be before the day and after for Manu. Surely there's got to be more to this? Do we think Kobe / MJ will come to honor Manu that night - the other SG contemporaries for Ginobili? Anyone has the inside scoop on the festivities and which section for seating will see the banner the best when it is raised?

Canyonero
02-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Yes, 100% unbiased opinion

Ginobilly
02-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Yes. Best mexican player of all time!

Johnny Tightlips
02-05-2019, 09:22 AM
I ain't sayin' nothin'.

John B
02-05-2019, 09:36 AM
I would start with Timmy, DRob tbh

Dverde
02-05-2019, 09:50 AM
I think the criteria is both Hall of Fame and Spurs retired their number. I like statues or player tributes for fan photo ops and shows other players our appreciation for our great players.

MultiTroll
02-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Statues = glory seeking nonsense.
Not in Manu and Tims DNA.

Save it for Kirby Magic types.

TDomination
02-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Honestly, the Big 3 deserves a statue. Maybe big 3 and Pop. With as many records that those guys broke being together, it is unlikely for anyone from any team to have a run for that amount of time like the Big 3 had with Pop.

A statue with them all together. That would make the most sense.

But if for some reason they only wanted to make 1 statue of 1 player. It would have to be Tim Duncan.

slick'81
02-05-2019, 01:08 PM
David and tim tbh

SpursforSix
02-05-2019, 01:38 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/16169837998_2bd34bd922_b.jpg

Kobe'sAchilles
02-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Statue of him fouling Dirk maybe. Or maybe a statue of him shooting a basketball with a lid over the rim and title it "Game 6 free throws FTW." I'd say a statue of him getting shit on by Fisher in the .4 play but I don't like Fisher so that's a no go.

SpurPadre
02-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Dumbest question ever, tbh. Not only does he unquestionably deserve a statue, he's earned the right to fuck all our wives.

baseline bum
02-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Dumbest question ever, tbh. Not only does he unquestionably deserve a statue, he's earned the right to fuck all our wives.

And daughters?

spurraider21
02-05-2019, 02:00 PM
do the spurs have any statues like the lakers do?

i dno, but if they do, then manu absolutely deserves to have one, after duncan/robinson/gervin though

hater
02-05-2019, 02:05 PM
El Chapo gave more to San Antonio than manu tbqh

SpurPadre
02-05-2019, 02:14 PM
And daughters?

As long as they're over 18, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
02-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Statue of him fouling Dirk maybe. Or maybe a statue of him shooting a basketball with a lid over the rim and title it "Game 6 free throws FTW." I'd say a statue of him getting shit on by Fisher in the .4 play but I don't like Fisher so that's a no go.

SpursforSix
02-05-2019, 02:36 PM

or a statue of him fucking your mom in the butt

baseline bum
02-05-2019, 02:48 PM
As long as they're over 18, tbh.

17 is legal in Texas

Twisted_Dawg
02-05-2019, 02:50 PM

He only has one nut.

boutons_deux
02-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Honestly, the Big 3 deserves a statue. Maybe big 3 and Pop.

yeah, a group, David, Big3, Pop

Kobe'sAchilles
02-05-2019, 03:03 PM
or a statue of him fucking your mom in the butt

He already broke one of his nuts, he doesn't need to break the other one too. But I wonder who fucked your butt to make you so booty hurt. It was a joke. Geeze.

SpursforSix
02-05-2019, 03:10 PM
He already broke one of his nuts, he doesn't need to break the other one too. But I wonder who fucked your butt to make you so booty hurt. It was a joke. Geeze.

Snitches get stitches. #tardlife

TimmyBuckets
02-05-2019, 03:16 PM
Timmy, Admiral, Iceman definitely deserve a statue. Manu and Tony are debatable. Though, I don't think you can have a Manu statue and not one of Parker.

JohnnyMax
02-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Nope. It'd be racism to give a White Italian masquerading as a Brown Latino a statue over superior Black players like Duncan, Robinson, Parker, Kawhi and Gervin.

SpursforSix
02-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Timmy, Admiral, Iceman definitely deserve a statue. Manu and Tony are debatable. Though, I don't think you can have a Manu statue and not one of Parker.

They could do a normal size statue of Tim and he'd be holding action figure size statues of Manu and Tony.

TheRemix
02-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Sure why not, but we need to get tim's statue built first

GusT15
02-05-2019, 04:11 PM
If we were talking just one statue,of a single player then they should just have Tim Duncan in a huge pedestal holding the ball in his iconic way pre game.

But since we are talking about a basketball dynasty that defined the word "Team" they can also easily pull a statue of the Big three along with Pop.

Single statues for each one individually though are a bit too much.Either just Timmy or all of them together.

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-05-2019, 06:02 PM
I don't think that's the Spurs or the players who were mentioned style. Manu and Tony will have their jerseys retired and hopefully Pop and RC will get banners also. Shit Peter Holt and his wife should have a banner up there also

GusT15
02-05-2019, 06:26 PM
I don't think that's the Spurs or the players who were mentioned style. Manu and Tony will have their jerseys retired and hopefully Pop and RC will get banners also. Shit Peter Holt and his wife should have a banner up there also

Statues are not for "bragging rights",they go well and beyond a player's "style" and humility.

It's a team's and city's highest honor to an athlete to capture a moment in history in a form of art,so everybody will forever know that this stadium standing behind this statue wouldn't be here without those dudes standing eternally in front of it's gates.

I know it's hard to fully grasp what that means in the age of youtube highlights but that Jordan statue in Chicago isn't there so MJ can say to Lebron "Hey my statue is better than yours".
The statue is there so a 37 year old dude taking his 8 year old son to his first game will have the chance to say "This man right here was the greatest player to ever play the game"

Also fuck MJ,fuck the Bulls,fuck RC,and fuck the Holts as well.It's not like they haven't earned millions of the Spurs,the fuck do they need/deserve banners for? Getting richer?

Spurtacular
02-05-2019, 06:33 PM
I would start with Timmy, DRob tbh

Why not just have one statue(s) with all three?

Russ
02-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Doesn't Kawhi deserve a statue?

GusT15
02-05-2019, 06:43 PM

Sure he does! An 15 inch Eiffel Tower mini statue!

There are some posters in Spurstalk that have some suggestions for where he can decorate it,involving some bending over and other posters that will express concern if he will able to wipe his butt after the statue!

TimmyBuckets
02-05-2019, 07:24 PM
They could do a normal size statue of Tim and he'd be holding action figure size statues of Manu and Tony.

Love it :lmao

For what?

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Statues are not for "bragging rights",they go well and beyond a player's "style" and humility.

It's a team's and city's highest honor to an athlete to capture a moment in history in a form of art,so everybody will forever know that this stadium standing behind this statue wouldn't be here without those dudes standing eternally in front of it's gates.

I know it's hard to fully grasp what that means in the age of youtube highlights but that Jordan statue in Chicago isn't there so MJ can say to Lebron "Hey my statue is better than yours".
The statue is there so a 37 year old dude taking his 8 year old son to his first game will have the chance to say "This man right here was the greatest player to ever play the game"

Also fuck MJ,fuck the Bulls,fuck RC,and fuck the Holts as well.It's not like they haven't earned millions of the Spurs,the fuck do they need/deserve banners for? Getting richer?

Lmao..
The banners serve the same purpose as a statue. I'm not knocking teams putting up statyes but I venture to guess those guys mentioned above don't really care about statues. It would be cool if they put them up and I'm sure they would be grateful but I don't think they really care about it

Now as far as RC and the Holt family I think it's appropriate for RC to have a banner because he helped architect those championship teams and has been with the team for a long time. The Holt family also was there during the winning stretch and helped keep things the way Pop and RC preferred it to be. This team has been a model franchise under their ownership. Some teams have raised banners for announcers and way lesser players

skin27
02-05-2019, 09:11 PM
It should be Timmy

rascal
02-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Only one statue and that is for Tim Duncan. The more statues the less meaning they hold.

rascal
02-06-2019, 12:00 AM
You put one for Manu then you have to put one for Gervin who was a better player.

DAF86
02-06-2019, 12:02 AM
17 is legal in Texas

16 in Argentina, and since he's from there he should be allowed to fuck sixteeners anywhere.

wildcardX
02-06-2019, 12:18 AM

Too expensive. His Uncle will want statues of both him and Kawhi.

TonyWifePorkerParker
02-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Yes before Tim and the admiral. If it wasnt for manu we wouldnt have the oh mama catchphrase and thats enough to warrent the statue.

DMC
02-06-2019, 09:57 PM
No statues. That's for fag towns.

superbigtime
02-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Does any professional athlete really deserve a statue?

Strategic
02-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Why settle for statues? Carve a bunch of ugly mugs on the hills beside 281. Lol

dbestpro
02-06-2019, 11:24 PM
I would say the fans deserve a statue of Manu.