PDA

View Full Version : Sportando: Spurs working hard to part ways with Gasol

FireMicoHalili
02-06-2019, 08:01 AM
“According to Sporting news, the San Antonio Spurs are working hard to part ways with Pau Gasol .

The big man has played just 24 games this season, with averages of 4.5 points (first time under the 10 points per game in his NBA career), 4.9 rebounds and 1.9 assist .

He's under contract for another year at 16 Millions (6.7 guaranteed)”

source: https://sportando.basketball/en/rumors-spurs-working-hard-to-part-ways-with-pau-gasol/

monty4329
02-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Pity for the foot injury. Depending on what can be received in a trade, it might make more sense just wait to see if he recovers. If that happens, he can still be very useful in the playoffs.

YGWHI
02-06-2019, 08:08 AM
About damn time.

MoSpur02
02-06-2019, 08:12 AM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/report-spurs-working-hard-to-trade-pau-gasol

Same article, but news4 picked up on it.

Hope it's true. I'm trying to dig out info from my source, but haven't gotten anything.

DAF86
02-06-2019, 08:14 AM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/report-spurs-working-hard-to-trade-pau-gasol

Same article, but news4 picked up on it.

Hope it's true. I'm trying to dig out info from my source, but haven't gotten anything.

Wait, wasn't Gasol supossed to make only 6 millions next year?

DAF86
02-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Also, I didn't think it would be that hard to trade Gasol. Any tanking team should be willing to get him attached to a draft pick.

TDomination
02-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Hope we are able to!

MoSpur02
02-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Would love for him to go to Atlanta for Bazemore or to with Cunningham or Forbes Orlando for Gordon.

Duncan87
02-06-2019, 08:26 AM
This source kind of shady

cd021
02-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Wait, wasn't Gasol supossed to make only 6 millions next year?

$6.7 million if waived.

cd021
02-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Also, I didn't think it would be that hard to trade Gasol. Any tanking team should be willing to get him attached to a draft pick.

Bazemore and Prince for Gasol, Forbes and the Raps pick works...

MarCowMar
02-06-2019, 09:34 AM
We ain't been the same since Gasol returned.

CGD
Miami and Washingotn are teams that actually need cap relief. Really dont see the market for him otherwise unless spurs agree to take back long term money. And even then spurs would probably have to attach a pick

Mugen
Pity for the foot injury. Depending on what can be received in a trade, it might make more sense just wait to see if he recovers. If that happens, he can still be very useful in the playoffs.

For who? The Spurs? :lol

Mugshot
02-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Please Please Please

Mugen
02-06-2019, 09:37 AM
As I said right before the Spanish elephant got healthy, I was very worried about how he and Pop would disrupt the team mojo they had back in December.

Lo and behold, he starts getting some minutes (not even regular mins because he doesn't need much) and Poetl starts looking like complete dog shit again and the team comes crashing hard back down to mediocrity.

The return doesn't matter. Just simply shipping Pau out for ANYTHING would be a huge plus for the team's future.

Leetonidas
02-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Nice. Don't even care what spurs get in return just get this dude off our squad already

monty4329
02-06-2019, 09:43 AM
As I said right before the Spanish elephant got healthy, I was very worried about how he and Pop would disrupt the team mojo they had back in December.

Lo and behold, he starts getting some minutes (not even regular mins because he doesn't need much) and Poetl starts looking like complete dog shit again and the team comes crashing hard back down to mediocrity.

The return doesn't matter. Just simply shipping Pau out for ANYTHING would be a huge plus for the team's future.

So you are happy with Poeltl as a backup center playing 14-18 minutes in the playoffs. A player that as soon as he doesn't get the same minutes "starts looking like complete dog shit again" (your words)...OK, makes perfect sense.

Mugen
02-06-2019, 09:46 AM
So you are happy with Poeltl as a backup center playing 14-18 minutes in the playoffs. A player that as soon as he doesn't get the same minutes "starts looking like complete dog shit again"...OK, makes sense.

Uh I mean yeah easily. Jakob back in December is a significantly better player than legitimately the worst big man defender in the league in Pau....Have you not even watched Gasol in the last month? He might be the worst player in the league that actually sees minutes at this point....

Your solution is to wait out a 38yo coming off a significant foot injury? :lol

mo7888
02-06-2019, 09:50 AM

I think we can extract value from the Gasol contract but, you are right. It's addition by subtraction if he's removed from the roster.

monty4329
02-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Uh I mean yeah easily. Jakob back in December is a significantly better player than legitimately the worst big man defender in the league in Pau....Have you not even watched Gasol in the last month? He might be the worst player in the league that actually sees minutes at this point....

Exactly. If he comes back, you have 12 solid minutes, as he was playing at the beginning of the season. If he doesn't come back, we are at your "solution": Poeltl as the only backup center.
(your words: The return doesn't matter. Just simply shipping Pau out for ANYTHING)

Somehow I am still surprised at how some people lack even the basic logic fundamentals. My fault, I always overrate the school system.

exstatic
02-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Miami and Washingotn are teams that actually need cap relief. Really dont see the market for him otherwise unless spurs agree to take back long term money. And even then spurs would probably have to attach a pick

You don't understand how this works. When long term money is being traded for short term money, the team shipping out the long term money attaches either picks or better players.

tmtcsc
02-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Playoffs?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img845/8231/dnd.gif

cjw
02-06-2019, 10:10 AM
You don't understand how this works. When long term money is being traded for short term money, the team shipping out the long term money attaches either picks or better players.

Any team trading for him is picking up only $6.7 million in dead money in the offseason, which frankly isn’t that much. But because of how the CBA changed, his deal was signed post-7/1/2017 and that unguaranteed piece does not count as $16 million outgoing salary anymore. So not a trade chip on the offseason like in years past.

Keepin' it real
02-06-2019, 10:16 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/rl0FOxdz7CcxO/giphy.gif

BatManu20
02-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Not holding my breath but would be awesome.

WallyTiger
02-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Nice but too late.

Russ
02-06-2019, 10:35 AM
I wonder if Gasol requested a trade.

TDomination
02-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Work harder!

vander
02-06-2019, 10:38 AM
hopefully they're trying to get someone of value and aren't just trying to dump Gasol's contract.

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 10:45 AM

I'd do that trade ASAP

TheGoatishere
02-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Gasol will still be on this team after the deadline don’t be fooled.

TimDunkem
02-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Working hard? But ST intelligentsia have been telling us for almost two years now that it would be reeeeally easy to move Pau this season. Why would the FO need to work so hard to move a contract with all det "flexibility?

TimDunkem
02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Yep. And the FO slurpers will go from "very tradeable contract" to "FO just really values Gasol". We know the truth is that no one wants an ancient, soft, no defense playing llama that thinks he still deserves to start.

exstatic
02-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Any team trading for him is picking up only $6.7 million in dead money in the offseason, which frankly isn’t that much. But because of how the CBA changed, his deal was signed post-7/1/2017 and that unguaranteed piece does not count as $16 million outgoing salary anymore. So not a trade chip on the offseason like in years past.

I'm talking about NOW. His deal still counts as $17M until the end of the season. THEN it becomes worthless as a trade asset. Chinook already gave us the 411 on the new rules. If he's not moved at the deadline, he'll simply be waived this summer and possibly stretched if they don't want to take the hit in one season.

TimDunkem
02-06-2019, 11:08 AM
hopefully they're trying to get someone of value and aren't just trying to dump Gasol's contract.

It won't matter to the FO. They are bending over backwards right now to find the best fit for him because loyalty.

baseline bum
02-06-2019, 11:15 AM

LOL I remember everyone here giving me shit when I cheered that faggot's injury.

sananspursfan21
02-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Work some magic RC! Throw in some free passes to the zoo or something! Only thing I can see is if a struggling team is just looking to get rid of a disgruntled guy or a guy who really doesn’t fit

Dverde
02-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Pop heard about the Pau Gasol rumors and put RC in the bird box. Better luck next year.

https://i.imgur.com/yFxGDL0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

sananspursfan21
02-06-2019, 11:20 AM
You’d think with Gasol’s playing style all these years and his thin, lean frame, he’d age pretty gracefully but he aged like Shaq

DAF86
02-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Nah, wouldn't pay that for Bazemore.

Russ
02-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Does Gasol have a no trade clause?

Has he requested a trade?

I don't see Pop trading a player of Gasol's status unless he wants out.

stu scotts eye
02-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Pretty sure Pau and Pop have discussed him wanting out a month ago. They're just too professional to do it on Twitter

Fireball
02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
get rid of him ... Poeltl really needs constant playing time ... then he is much better than Gasol

JPB
02-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Gasol for AD tbh.

Throw in a second rounder if Demps tries to hard ball you.

(Just resist giving up Cunni).

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 12:32 PM
LOL I remember everyone here giving me shit when I cheered that faggot's injury.

the injury really messed up his trade value. He looked ok before that, making those tip dunks against the Lakers n shit

Ditty
02-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Good luck with that. No one wants him. :lmao

hater
02-06-2019, 12:39 PM
:lmao noone is gonna want this scrub :lol

exstatic
02-06-2019, 12:45 PM

There's an understanding that when the Spurs offer the 'sweetener' at the end of the contract, it's there for a reason. They traded Danny Ferry, and even rafter jersey hanging Bruce Bowen the same way.

Spurs fever
02-06-2019, 12:45 PM
I don't feel confident he'll be moved.

Joseph Kony
02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
ST posters are dumb. it's not about teams "wanting him," its because he is only owed 6 mil next year and a team looking to clear space might be interested in that. not hard to figure out. of course no one actually wants him to play for them :lol

exstatic
02-06-2019, 01:04 PM
ST posters are dumb. it's not about teams "wanting him," its because he is only owed 6 mil next year and a team looking to clear space might be interested in that. not hard to figure out. of course no one actually wants him to play for them :lol

Orlando started this LITERALLY 20 years ago, and some people haven't figured out that cap space, present or future, is a commodity.

phxspurfan
02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Sportando?

"Here at Sportando, we are the TMZ of Bulgaria!"

Dverde
02-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Would you trade Pau Gasol for Tristan Thompson and a couple second rounders? Cavs acquired 4 additional second rounders from Krover and Hood trades.

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 01:30 PM
I would do Pau + Forbes + Raptors pick for Prince and Bazemore immediately. Like I said before Bazemore can easily replicate Forbes production on offense and gives you a little more versatility while also improving the defense in every aspect. Prince is a young SF who shoots 37% from 3 and is locked in for 2 years on a rookie contract. Pop would develop him further as a defender. Spurs get better short and long term with that move

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Team up the Gasol brothers and bring Mike Connely to San Antonio.

Sounds like a win-win for both teams. :smokin

pad300
02-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Would you trade Pau Gasol for Tristan Thompson and a couple second rounders? Cavs acquired 4 additional second rounders from Krover and Hood trades.

If nothing better came up.

BlackAndWhite
02-06-2019, 01:36 PM
If that happens, it would be like waking up from a nightmare

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Would have been smart to NOT give him that contract in the first place

slick'81
02-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Not holding my breath but poodle power will never shine with three true centers on the team

duncan2k5
02-06-2019, 01:38 PM

Sadly, I agree

Texas_Ranger
02-06-2019, 01:42 PM
there is a bigger chance the Spurs extend Gasoft's contract than trade his ass.

bklynspursfan
02-06-2019, 02:24 PM

not a chance

Russ
02-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Orlando started this LITERALLY 20 years ago, and some people haven't figured out that cap space, present or future, is a commodity.

How did that work out for them?

timvp
02-06-2019, 02:54 PM
“According to Sporting news, the San Antonio Spurs are working hard to part ways with Pau Gasol .

The big man has played just 24 games this season, with averages of 4.5 points (first time under the 10 points per game in his NBA career), 4.9 rebounds and 1.9 assist .

source: https://sportando.basketball/en/rumors-spurs-working-hard-to-part-ways-with-pau-gasol/

The original source is Mitch Lawrence:

— The Spurs are working hard to part ways with Pau Gasol, according to one Eastern Conference GM.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/anthony-davis-trade-list-has-bucks-owner-thinking-big/3myq3e6o5vd61mddvaug7ri7h

I don't agree with trading a first round pick to get rid of Gasol. However, I'm all aboard the idea of trading idea for a decent player with a bad contract, preferably a contract with just one more year on it.

Getting a decent player who plays any position other than center would be helpful.

exstatic
02-06-2019, 02:55 PM
How did that work out for them?

?? They landed both Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. Other than GHs ankle, it was the most successful FA haul by any one team in any one summer. They cleared the cap space and got two MAX FAs. That's all you can do, and then let the chips fall where they may.

sasaint
02-06-2019, 03:20 PM

:lol

duncan2150
02-06-2019, 03:55 PM
I would do Pau + Forbes + Raptors pick for Prince and Bazemore immediately. Like I said before Bazemore can easily replicate Forbes production on offense and gives you a little more versatility while also improving the defense in every aspect. Prince is a young SF who shoots 37% from 3 and is locked in for 2 years on a rookie contract. Pop would develop him further as a defender. Spurs get better short and long term with that move

Totally agree

duncan2150
02-06-2019, 03:56 PM

I don't agree with trading a first round pick to get rid of Gasol. However, I'm all aboard the idea of trading idea for a decent player with a bad contract, preferably a contract with just one more year on it.

Getting a decent player who plays any position other than center would be helpful.

Im ok with you but if it’s for a good player maybe i will put the first in the deal

koriwhat
02-06-2019, 04:24 PM
the one thing i wished for after the that dec game vs the lakers where poeltl and white showed us their fire and the team was clicking all over the floor. gasol needs to go and not because he's a horrible dude(or team cancer) but his time has passed on this team and in nba bball imo but especially on this team.

cd021
02-06-2019, 04:58 PM

Thompson wouldn't play this season or next and if he did he would be a horrid fit, so no.

cd021
02-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Prince is in his 3rd season so he is under contract for another year before RFA.

I think I would do it, though it creates a log jam next season with Murray, Mills White, DeRozan, Beli, Bazemore and Prince all needing minutes at the 1-3.

cd021
02-06-2019, 05:05 PM

I mentioned Bazemore and Prince for Gasol, Forbes and the Raps pick, in that specific scenario would you do that deal?

Mugen
02-06-2019, 05:09 PM
I'd do Pau + the Toronto pick for Jlin + Prince in a heartbeat tbh.

exstatic
02-06-2019, 05:10 PM
I mentioned Bazemore and Prince for Gasol, Forbes and the Raps pick, in that specific scenario would you do that deal?

I wouldn't do a deal where you both take Bazemore's putrid contract AND send them a first rounder. They'd have to choose. Prince isn't good enough to justify both.

Russ
02-06-2019, 05:12 PM

The Spurs are building for the future and likely won't trade either draft picks or young players.

That's probably why Gasol is the only player being mentioned in trade talks.

TheGreatYacht
02-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Lol Heat got rid of Tyler Johnson's trash ass contract. Apparently Drunkford isn't working that hard.

timvp
02-06-2019, 05:44 PM

It'd be difficult to include the first, tbh. The Spurs would already be absorbing a bad contract in Bazemore and giving them a good contract in Forbes. I guess it'd come down to whether the Spurs are high on Prince. Advanced stats are extremely low on him. The Hawks are the worst defensively when he's on the court and other metrics also show he's terrible defensively.

He somewhat passes the eye-test but the advanced stats are enough of a red flag that I'd probably want it to be a second round pick and not a first round pick.

TimmyBuckets
02-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Why get rid of him now if he's getting only 6 mil next year?

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Prince is in his 3rd season so he is under contract for another year before RFA.

I think I would do it, though it creates a log jam next season with Murray, Mills White, DeRozan, Beli, Bazemore and Prince all needing minutes at the 1-3.

Yeah I counted this season that's why I said 2

White/Murray
Bazemore/Belinelli
DeRozan/Prince

in an ideal scenario you trade Mills. Prince can occassionally play the 4 I guess when you go really small and Gay is out. Bazemore's contract next season is also an expiring that you can move to teams who need cap space if you want to move him. You should be able to get some value back. Like I said, make that move ASAP

duncan2150
02-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Why get rid of him now if he's getting only 6 mil next year?
Because he can get you a decent player and with poetl spurs don’t need him.

sasaint
02-06-2019, 05:56 PM

I would be very disappointed in this deal. Moving Forbes and Toronto's pick to create a log jam next season? Prince and Bazemore won't make us legit contenders this season or next. Don't do it. I am not interested in any deal that helps us to become a little better first or second round fodder this season. This season is what it is. We need to take a longer view. We have enough guards, and Prince has been very blah.

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 05:57 PM
people here want to say Bazemore is on a bad contract but he really isn't. He's a little overpaid with 18 million, but his contract expires next year. So with the Spurs operating over the cap anyway, this doesn't hinder them at all. We won't have cap space in the offseason anyway

sasaint
02-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Sadly, I agree

Pau, Dante and QPon will all be here. February 8 will be like Christmas morning when you open your gifts and they're like socks, a billfold, a pair of slacks...

Joseph Kony
02-06-2019, 06:00 PM
I'd do Pau + the Toronto pick for Jlin + Prince in a heartbeat tbh.

Agree. while its hard to give up a first for either player, i think both of these guys would excel under Pop/the spurs system. and while spurs are good at drafting and routinely find players at the end of the draft, in a year we have multiple first round picks i wouldnt mind parting with the later one for a former lotto pick with upside. prince has been meh with ATL but i firmly believe he needs a change of scenery and playing for his city may bring the best out of him tbh. not sure about Lin though, how has he looked after his injury?

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 06:00 PM
How in holy hell did Bazemore get 18 million? Cripes, people complain about Spurs' contracts.

exstatic
02-06-2019, 06:01 PM
people here want to say Bazemore is on a bad contract but he really isn't. He's a little overpaid with 18 million, but his contract expires next year. So with the Spurs operating over the cap anyway, this doesn't hinder them at all. We won't have cap space in the offseason anyway

It's not cap room, it's the tax. The Spurs plan these things in advance, and need either a good young player meeting a need, or for Gasol's money to come off in order to justify paying Rudy. I think they might pay the tax for one year of OPJ, but Bazemore is not enough of a player to justify it.

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 06:02 PM
How in holy hell did Bazemore get 18 million? Cripes, people complain about Spurs' contracts.

Bazemore at 18 million is still better than Pau at 16.3

Joseph Kony
02-06-2019, 06:03 PM

everyone got paid in 2016. scrubs like Bazemore, Mozgov, Crabbe, Deng, etc all got 15+ million a year from retarded FOs that thought the cap would spike dramatically every year :lol

sasaint
02-06-2019, 06:04 PM

And some here want to add him to our stable.

Ignazzz
02-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Prince is not on trading block

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Bazemore at 18 million is still better than Pau at 16.3

Pau got paid for being a good soldier and doing a favor to the FO earlier. Stop bitching about it. Look what Ainge did to Thomas and that's killing him right now with AD.

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 06:09 PM
It's not cap room, it's the tax. The Spurs plan these things in advance, and need either a good young player meeting a need, or for Gasol's money to come off in order to justify paying Rudy. I think they might pay the tax for one year of OPJ, but Bazemore is not enough of a player to justify it.

so you are saying that if we ship out Pau and Forbes (16.8 + 3.1 = 19.9 million) for Bazemore and Prince (18 + 2.5 = 20.5 million) we all of a sudden pay the luxury tax? That's equal salary, Spurs could even add Pondexter to shed a little of it. The luxury tax threshold for next season is at 132 million. Spurs would be at 110 million. Gay should resign for similar money if you ask me, I expect something like 12 million per year on a longer deal. Maximum would be 15, but I can't see them paying him that much. Even that would have them at 125 million. They wouldn't be tax payers

Pavlov
02-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Prince is not on trading blockHe's untouchable?

lol

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Pau got paid for being a good soldier and doing a favor to the FO earlier. Stop bitching about it. Look what Ainge did to Thomas and that's killing him right now with AD.

that doesn't have anything to do with what I said. I just stated a fact. And obviously NOLA still wants to trade AD to the Celtics, weather he likes it or not

RD2191
02-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Fuck Pau and fuck Patfo for giving his scrub ass that contract.

exstatic
02-06-2019, 06:18 PM
so you are saying that if we ship out Pau and Forbes (16.8 + 3.1 = 19.9 million) for Bazemore and Prince (18 + 2.5 = 20.5 million) we all of a sudden pay the luxury tax? That's equal salary, Spurs could even add Pondexter to shed a little of it. The luxury tax threshold for next season is at 132 million. Spurs would be at 110 million. Gay should resign for similar money if you ask me, I expect something like 12 million per year on a longer deal. Maximum would be 15, but I can't see them paying him that much. Even that would have them at 125 million. They wouldn't be tax payers

Rudy's going to get a bump from $10M to ~$18M. He's earned that by taking a couple of one year deals. THAT will put us in the tax if we take on Bazemore's contract.

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 06:20 PM
that doesn't have anything to do with what I said. I just stated a fact. And obviously NOLA still wants to trade AD to the Celtics, weather he likes it or not

You stated an incomplete fact at best. This board is incredibly stupid when it comes to Pau's contract. They don't understand jack shit. Again, Ainge fucked himself by fuckin over IT. He may think Davis is gonna stay there. He thought Kyrie is gonna stay there. But no veteran is going to bother being loyal to that GM for a long fucking time.

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Rudy's going to get a bump from $10M to ~$18M. He's earned that by taking a couple of one year deals. THAT will put us in the tax if we take on Bazemore's contract.

I hope they won't pay him that much. 18 million is a lot for Rudy, especially considering his age

You stated an incomplete fact at best. This board is incredibly stupid when it comes to Pau's contract. They don't understand jack shit. Again, Ainge fucked himself by fuckin over IT. He may think Davis is gonna stay there. He thought Kyrie is gonna stay there. But no veteran is going to bother being loyal to that GM for a long fucking time.

Everybody knows Pau's deal was a loyalty contract for him opting out. The question is which free agent they wanted to go after. It was rumored to be CP3 but reports came out later that the Spurs weren't interested in signing him

GusT15
02-06-2019, 06:25 PM

You do understand AD's dad used IT's trade as an excuse to save face for his son,while pushing for a "trade me to Lakers right now" as instructed by Rich Paul and Lebron,right? Please,tell me you understand that,and didn't actually believe the smokescreen and all the bullshit they're spewing trying to get leverage on a trade.

timtonymanu
02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Mr. Body probably thinks Patty’s contract is good value too. :lol

exstatic
02-06-2019, 06:27 PM
I hope they won't pay him that much. 18 million is a lot for Rudy, especially considering his age

Everybody knows Pau's deal was a loyalty contract for him opting out. The question is which free agent they wanted to go after. It was rumored to be CP3 but reports came out later that the Spurs weren't interested in signing him

He's a LOT better player than Bazemore, who makes that much. Since he's transitioning to the 4, I'd be down with 2-3 years at that figure. We'd have been totally screwed this year without him, and he's 32, not that old for a PF.

TD 21
02-06-2019, 06:31 PM
If this Burks speculation is real, I would think the Cavaliers are waiting on the Rockets to decide between packaging their 1st and Knight for Green and Temple or Burks. If the Rockets go the Grizzlies route, Gasol and 2 2nds might get it done.

Burks isn't a good defender, but he at least has better physical tools than any perimeter defender not named White and because of his ability to play on or off ball, he'd be good insurance for him on offense, as well as a nice fit on the 2nd unit when healthy.

Mikeanaro
02-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Are you telling me there is a chance?

timtonymanu
02-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Poor example using IT :lol. Isn’t he the same guy who had lockerroom issues in Cleveland that they ended up dumping him to LA? Yeah Ainge surely made a mistake with him

Mikeanaro
02-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Good soldier in the sense that he screams a lot battlefield-like, other than that he doesnt do much.

r0drig0lac
02-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Pau, Dante and QPon will all be here. February 8 will be like Christmas morning when you open your gifts and they're like socks, a billfold, a pair of slacks...

sad but true

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Good soldier in the sense that he screams a lot battlefield-like, other than that he doesnt do much.

Dumb fuck.

peacemaker885
02-06-2019, 06:50 PM

That's golden if your my age.

Raven
02-06-2019, 07:00 PM
lol bezemore, one of the worst contracts in the league.

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1093298309102518277

Wonder how Lowry will react..

A lot of teams are casually destroying their chemistry with all these rumors.

Pavlov
02-06-2019, 07:10 PM
A lot of teams are casually destroying their chemistry with all these rumors.I guess. In the Grizzlies' case I think they stopped caring once Marc started openly opining about being traded.

r0drig0lac
02-06-2019, 07:11 PM
A lot of teams are casually destroying their chemistry with all these rumors.

this is something that the spurs do not have to worry about for sure

Mikeanaro
02-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Maybe if they ditch Gaslol our boy Manu can make a comeback, 16 million and everybody happy.

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 07:31 PM
I guess. In the Grizzlies' case I think they stopped caring once Marc started openly opining about being traded.

Lol, not talking about the Grizz, bro.

Pavlov
02-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Lol, not talking about the Grizz, bro.The Raptors?

Meh. Everyone should be on notice after last summer.

Down Under
02-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Uggh the Bulls got Otto Porter

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 07:47 PM
The Raptors?

Meh. Everyone should be on notice after last summer.

Lakers, Raptors, Celtics are all in the playoff hunt and they're killing themselves leaking rumors left and right. It's stupid.

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Uggh the Bulls got Otto Porter

Lol, what the fuck do they need him for?

Down Under
02-06-2019, 07:48 PM
I'd trade two 1sts & Pau for Covington, who's locked in for 3 more seasons on a good contract.

Pavlov
02-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Lakers, Raptors, Celtics are all in the playoff hunt and they're killing themselves leaking rumors left and right. It's stupid.I guess. Everyone already knows their respective FOs though.

Mr. Body
02-06-2019, 07:54 PM
I guess. Everyone already knows their respective FOs though.

What the fuck does that mean? The Lakers are already a shambles. I can't imagine a guy like Tatum's gonna be able to play through knowing he could get shipped out this summer. You think Lowry's gonna play the way he normally does knowing he's on the block for Conley?

Pavlov
02-06-2019, 07:56 PM
What the fuck does that mean? The Lakers are already a shambles. I can't imagine a guy like Tatum's gonna be able to play through knowing he could get shipped out this summer. You think Lowry's gonna play the way he normally does knowing he's on the block for Conley?I'm saying these teams already have reputations for changing their rosters with some frequency. It's the NBA. Dudes get traded.

Hoops Czar
02-06-2019, 08:12 PM

Is this the same kind of hard when the Spurs tried to to acquire Kyrie after he requested a trade from the Cavs? :lmao

TD 21
02-06-2019, 08:18 PM
If this Burks speculation is real, I would think the Cavaliers are waiting on the Rockets to decide between packaging their 1st and Knight for Green and Temple or Burks. If the Rockets go the Grizzlies route, Gasol and 2 2nds might get it done.

Burks isn't a good defender, but he at least has better physical tools than any perimeter defender not named White and because of his ability to play on or off ball, he'd be good insurance for him on offense, as well as a nice fit on the 2nd unit when healthy.

Well, this didn't age well . . .

If it was something the Spurs wanted to happen, typical. Also typical: the glamour team (in this case, Rockets) getting what they want.

Shumpert made more sense for the Kings than Burks. If they're open to re-routing him, and he can be packaged with another player, Spurs could offer Gasol, Pondexter and 2 2nds for him and Koufos. If not, Gasol and 2 2nds straight up.

FireMicoHalili
02-06-2019, 08:23 PM
why do I have a feeling Pau might end up in Memphis

Chillen
02-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Pau for Marc would be ideal for both Spurs and Grizzlies. Grizz fans get to see Pau play for the rest of the season and he is an expiring and Spurs add more depth to the roster and Marc gives LMA more freedom to maneuver in the post. It would likely cost the Spurs a pick.

Mikeanaro
02-06-2019, 08:50 PM
I dont know, but it sounds good, he can go back there as a tired old pos and we can have the good one.

FireMicoHalili
02-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Pau for Marc would be ideal for both Spurs and Grizzlies. Grizz fans get to see Pau play for the rest of the season and he is an expiring and Spurs add more depth to the roster and Marc gives LMA more freedom to maneuver in the post. It would likely cost the Spurs a pick.
nah more like Pau for Temple and JaMychal Green

Chillen
02-06-2019, 08:58 PM
I don't know if this deal is likely but Marc stayed with Memphis out of loyalty and was interested in the Spurs. It's possible Memphis would give Marc a nice parting gift to the Spurs and for Grizz they bring back Pau who is expiring. Makes sense for Grizz but I cannot say if Spurs want Marc that bad or not.

dokdok
02-06-2019, 09:28 PM
That would be ideal but what would the Spurs have to give up? Surely Memphis would be getting better offers for Marc than whatever the spurs offer

mo7888
02-06-2019, 09:44 PM
That would be ideal but what would the Spurs have to give up? Surely Memphis would be getting better offers for Marc than whatever the spurs offer

Probably result in a suicide but... http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydbgm9qx

Mugen
02-06-2019, 10:02 PM

Those fans have suffered enough tbh :lol

objective
02-07-2019, 12:20 AM
Who could have foreseen Pau being terribly overpaid and useless?

Degoat
02-07-2019, 12:25 AM
They need to try harder lol

John B
02-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Not hard enough :bang

SpurPadre
02-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Working hard in this case is simply PATFO having thought about it for more than 1 minute before forgetting about it, tbh.

Dverde
02-07-2019, 12:35 AM
https://userscontent2.emaze.com/images/a3b05a9d-fcf5-4226-b84b-e0ded7f96930/797bc60b5cbe0b796b894d38e005f678.jpg

John B
02-07-2019, 12:38 AM
https://userscontent2.emaze.com/images/a3b05a9d-fcf5-4226-b84b-e0ded7f96930/797bc60b5cbe0b796b894d38e005f678.jpg
break a leg

Duncan87
02-07-2019, 12:46 AM
His damn fault he chose other teams than Spurs in his peak had a chance to play with Tim

Ignazzz
02-07-2019, 01:47 AM
He's untouchable?

lol

good fit to young core.
Moving Him?
Makes no sense

DeRozan m8
02-07-2019, 02:01 AM

hahahahah you again.

No, he will not be useful in the playoffs, he'll be even worse.

He is absolutely done.

Jesus.

DeRozan m8
02-07-2019, 02:02 AM
Why is it everyone but PATFO knew how fucked this contract was when we gave it to him?

Why the fuck did they do it?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-07-2019, 02:31 AM
You do understand AD's dad used IT's trade as an excuse to save face for his son,while pushing for a "trade me to Lakers right now" as instructed by Rich Paul and Lebron,right? Please,tell me you understand that,and didn't actually believe the smokescreen and all the bullshit they're spewing trying to get leverage on a trade.

Both are true - sure Klutch's posse are pushing hard for Davis to end up a Laker by the deadline, but if you think players and agents haven't noticed how Boston fucked Thomas over you'd be naive. Remember when agents and other GMs were angry with Hinkie's business in Philly? It ended up with the league intervening and sacking him and installing the Colangelos ( of course the league didn't do it - it was Philly on their own ). Hinkie still doesn't have a job as a tank commander. Not saying Ainge will have similar faith of course but these things matter and people around the league are well aware of them.

Ditty
02-07-2019, 02:40 AM
His damn fault he chose other teams than Spurs in his peak had a chance to play with Tim

Yeah Pau fucked up not coming to us after we rang in 2014. We played some unmotivated ball until the end of the year, but it was already to late and ended up with playing the clippers in the first round. If Pau would of came we would of won the the division title, and played against Dallas in the first round again and would of had home court advantage against Houston or LA in the second.

NASpurs
02-07-2019, 03:13 PM
:lmao

working hard or hardly working

sasaint
02-07-2019, 03:19 PM

I do wonder if he ever has such thoughts? But I feel a little schizophrenic. Back when he signed with the Bulls, I really wanted him here. Now I just hate the guy and want him gone for doing us the way he has - spurning us when he was good and robbing us when he is a pos.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
02-07-2019, 03:38 PM
:lmao

working hard or hardly workingboth, working hard at hardly working.

Texas_Ranger
02-07-2019, 03:39 PM
i guess it was too hard.

TimDunkem
02-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Fuck you, Pau. And fuck you Spurs for letting this POS dupe you into giving him that contract.

:cry He played 60 games for us, burned out in the playoffs, and waited a few weeks for his next paycheck. Give that man 50 mill! :cry

sasaint
02-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Fuck you, Pau. And fuck you Spurs for letting this POS dupe you into giving him that contract.

:cry He played 60 games for us, burned out in the playoffs, and waited a few weeks for his next paycheck. Give that man 50 mill! :cry

The Spurs' reputation as a half-way house for pos NBA vets to pave the way to retirement with easy money will only be enhanced. Stay tuned for further enhancement when LMA and DeMar get to that point.

spurs1990
02-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Yeah Pau fucked up not coming to us after we rang in 2014. We played some unmotivated ball until the end of the year, but it was already to late and ended up with playing the clippers in the first round. If Pau would of came we would of won the the division title, and played against Dallas in the first round again and would of had home court advantage against Houston or LA in the second.

You can't fault Gasol for signing here in 2016. It was Buford or Popovich that offered him the contract.

All of our frustration should be geared towards those two. They rewarded this guy after being shafted by him just two season before.
None of us really cared about it at the time since it was a 2 year deal and it was going to buttress the roster that had just won 67 games.

It was just a horrible stroke of bad luck in that they asked him to opt out of his 2 year deal to chase Chris Paul, with a wink-wink that he would be taken care of afterwards.

If we could all go back knowing just a couple more facts (specifically being a real option for Paul in 2017), I'm certain Pop/Buford would have passed on this 7 foot waste of a roster space.

On the plus side he's a good culture guy and worldly and generous and all that cool Spurs character stuff.
That's literally the only positive I have to say about him.

MultiTroll
02-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Nephew gets Marc Gasol.
We keep Pau.

Way to show him, Pop!

ceperez
02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
You can't fault Gasol for signing here in 2016. It was Buford or Popovich that offered him the contract.

All of our frustration should be geared towards those two. They rewarded this guy after being shafted by him just two season before.
None of us really cared about it at the time since it was a 2 year deal and it was going to buttress the roster that had just won 67 games.

It was just a horrible stroke of bad luck in that they asked him to opt out of his 2 year deal to chase Chris Paul, with a wink-wink that he would be taken care of afterwards.

If we could all go back knowing just a couple more facts (specifically being a real option for Paul in 2017), I'm certain Pop/Buford would have passed on this 7 foot waste of a roster space.

On the plus side he's a good culture guy and worldly and generous and all that cool Spurs character stuff.
That's literally the only positive I have to say about him.

What didn't make sense was that Pau was pretty much done when he came from the Bulls. The two years contract I had thought was the longest we would keep him. Just stunned though with the 16m/yr contract he signed after. That never made sense and Spurs are paying for it ever since.

slick'81
02-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Horrible fckn contract and as usual couldnt flip that 16 mil for anything

dbestpro
02-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Spurs working hard to part with Gasol. The deadline has passed. Pop drinking wine. :"Guess we should look into trading Gasol". RC drinking bourbon. "Whose Gasol?"

r0drig0lac
02-07-2019, 04:23 PM
not hard enough #SaD

slick'81
02-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Now we get to pay gasol to go away

boutons_deux
02-07-2019, 04:37 PM
The Spurs' reputation as a half-way house for pos NBA vets to pave the way to retirement with easy money will only be enhanced. Stay tuned for further enhancement when LMA and DeMar get to that point.

Spurs, NBA's boneyard

McGrady

Kevin Willis

Pau outta-Gas-ol

McDyess

slick'81
02-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Spurs, NBA's boneyard

McGrady

Kevin Willis

Pau outta-Gas-ol

McDyess

Dale ellis,chuck person ,nique and who could forget moses malone

itzsoweezee
02-07-2019, 04:51 PM
I have yet to hear a reasonable argument in favor of that contract. What the fuck was the front office thinking? $16 million? Fine. But for 3 years? Why the fuck would you do that?

SpurPadre
02-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Working hard or hardly working?

spurs1990
02-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Courtesy of Bball-reference.com, this guy's pay means he isn't just some grizzly vet taking a roster spot.

Look where he ranks in salary on the roster this year and the next - he's arguably the worst contract in the NBA based on salary, seasons under contract, ability, age, and trade value.

Player
2018-19 Salary
2019-20 Salary

DeMar DeRozan (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01.html)
$27,739,975
$27,739,975

LaMarcus Aldridge (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html)
$22,347,015
$26,000,000

Pau Gasol (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html)
$16,800,000
$16,000,000

Patty Mills (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa02.html)
$11,571,429
$12,428,571

Rudy Gay (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gayru01.html)
$10,087,200

Davis Bertans (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bertada01.html)
$7,000,000
$7,000,000

Marco Belinelli (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/belinma01.html)
$6,153,846
$5,846,154

Bryn Forbes (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/forbebr01.html)
$3,125,000
$2,875,000

Jakob Poeltl (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/poeltja01.html)
$2,947,320
$3,754,886

Dante Cunningham (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cunnida01.html)
$2,500,000

Lonnie Walker (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walkelo01.html)
$2,357,160
$2,760,480

Quincy Pondexter (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pondequ01.html)
$2,165,481

Derrick White (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/whitede01.html)
$1,667,160
$1,948,080

Dejounte Murray (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/murrade01.html)
$1,544,951
$2,321,735

Chimezie Metu (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/metuch01.html)
$838,464

superbigtime
02-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Dale ellis,chuck person ,nique and who could forget moses malone

Ellis and Chuck weren't washed up. How bout:

Nick van Exel

Steve Smith

Kurt Thomas

pad300
02-07-2019, 05:27 PM
I have yet to hear a reasonable argument in favor of that contract. What the fuck was the front office thinking? $16 million? Fine. But for 3 years? Why the fuck would you do that?

You may not like it, but here you go : https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277461&page=42&p=9693774#post9693774

SpursforSix
02-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Courtesy of Bball-reference.com, this guy's pay means he isn't just some grizzly vet taking a roster spot.

Look where he ranks in salary on the roster this year and the next - he's arguably the worst contract in the NBA based on salary, seasons under contract, ability, age, and trade value.

Player
2018-19 Salary
2019-20 Salary

$27,739,975
$27,739,975

LaMarcus Aldridge (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html)
$22,347,015
$26,000,000

$16,800,000
$16,000,000

$11,571,429
$12,428,571

$10,087,200

$7,000,000
$7,000,000

$6,153,846
$5,846,154

$3,125,000
$2,875,000

$2,947,320
$3,754,886

Dante Cunningham (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cunnida01.html)
$2,500,000

$2,357,160
$2,760,480

Quincy Pondexter (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pondequ01.html)
$2,165,481

$1,667,160
$1,948,080

$1,544,951
$2,321,735

$838,464

Damn. It's like the realization that you just bought some Sennheiser HD 820s.

Chomag
02-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Fake News

Leetonidas
02-07-2019, 05:32 PM
John Wall is now the worst contract ever followed by Chandler Parsons but Pau is a close 3rd. Fuck I was really hoping they'd dump this bum

itzsoweezee
02-07-2019, 08:12 PM
You may not like it, but here you go : https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277461&page=42&p=9693774#post9693774

Still does not make sense. It goes off the assumption that had he opted out, pau would've gotten a contract worth at least the full MLE value ~$39M. I think that assumption was crazy, and those types of shenanigans were definitely not worth getting cp3's old ass, which they struck out on anyway

BackHome
02-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Pop taking a knee for the Spurs gotta love it.

sasaint
02-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Still does not make sense. It goes off the assumption that had he opted out, pau would've gotten a contract worth at least the full MLE value ~$39M. I think that assumption was crazy, and those types of shenanigans were definitely not worth getting cp3's old ass, which they struck out on anyway

Yeah, terrible FO work. Bad intel on CP3 and worse idea of what would be a reasonable compensation for Pau's opting out.

timtonymanu
02-07-2019, 10:15 PM
16 million for a 40 year old man. :lol

PATFO must have thought everyone ages well like Tim and Manu did to end their careers. Hard for me to root for this team while Gasol (and Pop) is still here.

jermaine
02-07-2019, 10:26 PM
16 million for a 40 year old man. :lol

PATFO must have thought everyone ages well like Tim and Manu did to end their careers. Hard for me to root for this team while Gasol (and Pop) is still here.

Dont let Clan the Spurs fan hear you talk like this.

timtonymanu
02-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Eh they can say whatever but it would be nice to have a head coach that keeps his political opinions to himself and focus on his mediocre team instead.

pad300
02-07-2019, 11:40 PM

Your not getting it. The PATFO wanted a shot at CP3. To get that shot, Gasol's contract had to be off the Spurs books. So he had to opt out (of something like $15M). So they made him an (illegal but unprovable) under the table promise : if you opt out, we will give you a contract worth the full MLE (Which is the maximum he could be given, if he opted out, and the Spurs renounced his bird rights so they could sign CP3). He accepted this, opted out. They didn't get CP3, but they were on the hook for the aforementioned full MLE value; now they are paying him the value of the full MLE ~ $39.5M = 16 +16.8 + 6.7 (his partial guarantee).

You can argue that it was silly to pursue CP3 like that, but this is pretty clearly what they did.

dontouchmebwo
02-08-2019, 12:12 AM
Such a dumb ass signing, but he got paid because he "knows how to play the game", this shows just how disconnected this franchise was.

UnWantedTheory
02-08-2019, 12:13 AM
Eh they can say whatever but it would be nice to have a head coach that keeps his political opinions to himself and focus on his mediocre team instead.You would feel different if you agreed with those opinions though.

UnWantedTheory
02-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Your not getting it. The PATFO wanted a shot at CP3. To get that shot, Gasol's contract had to be off the Spurs books. So he had to opt out (of something like $15M). So they made him an (illegal but unprovable) under the table promise : if you opt out, we will give you a contract worth the full MLE (Which is the maximum he could be given, if he opted out, and the Spurs renounced his bird rights so they could sign CP3). He accepted this, opted out. They didn't get CP3, but they were on the hook for the aforementioned full MLE value; now they are paying him the value of the full MLE ~ $39.5M = 16 +16.8 + 6.7 (his partial guarantee).

You can argue that it was silly to pursue CP3 like that, but this is pretty clearly what they did.
This.

gambit1990
02-08-2019, 12:29 AM
i bet the spurs could've moved gasol... but they wanted to be considerate of where he was trade to.

gambit1990
02-08-2019, 12:29 AM
and a contender wouldn't have a need for him at that price.

gambit1990
02-08-2019, 12:30 AM
what's mystifying is that it's rumored gasol got what he got so the spurs could pursue cp3... but it was also reported that the spurs didn't sign cp3 because the spurs already had an aging point guard... cp3 had interest in being a spur/spoke highly of the organization so idk what happened.

ceperez
02-08-2019, 12:55 AM

Appears to be the only logical reason. Well, they gambled and lost big time.

The real loss of course is Leonard deciding to want to go elsewhere. Spurs would still be competitive with Leonard.

cd021
02-08-2019, 01:25 AM

Player
2018-19 Salary
2019-20 Salary

$27,739,975
$27,739,975

$22,347,015
$26,000,000

$16,800,000
$16,000,000

$11,571,429
$12,428,571

$10,087,200

$7,000,000
$7,000,000

$6,153,846
$5,846,154

$3,125,000
$2,875,000

$2,947,320
$3,754,886

$2,500,000

$2,357,160
$2,760,480

$2,165,481

$1,667,160
$1,948,080

$1,544,951
$2,321,735

$838,464

You're being a bit dramatic tbh. John Wall is far and away the worst deal in the NBA. Batum's is pretty bad too, Gasol probably doesn't make the top ten worst contract. After this season Gasol is owed $6.7 million if waived. He'll be cut and the Spurs will probably even sign a vet to be the 3rd center on the cheap or draft a big with one of their picks.

Chillen
02-08-2019, 02:23 AM
what's mystifying is that it's rumored gasol got what he got so the spurs could pursue cp3... but it was also reported that the spurs didn't sign cp3 because the spurs already had an aging point guard... cp3 had interest in being a spur/spoke highly of the organization so idk what happened.

I hope that is not true that they had little interest in CP3. The funny thing is if say Spurs had traded and signed CP3 it's very possible Kawhi could still be a Spur today. Maybe this is where the rift with Kawhi and Spurs started Spurs just having made the WCF the previous season and did not make any big moves that summer and Parker was coming off a bad injury. I bet Kawhi was pissed they didn't go for CP3.

Hoops Czar
02-08-2019, 02:30 AM

What happened was like the rest of the league, CP3 used the Spurs as leverage so he could get a 5th year out of the Clippers. When the Clips said no deal, he bolted for Houston. RC is a foolish man to think he actually had a chance of landing CP3 but that Pau opt out showed that he actually did. He also got played by Iggy in the same offseason. One of the worst GM's in the business.

r0drig0lac
02-08-2019, 04:49 AM
and a contender wouldn't have a need for him.

obviously, even mediocre teams like ours also have no need for a player like him (probably the top 8 of the Euroleague also has better players in their position)

itzsoweezee
02-08-2019, 10:42 AM

No, I do get it. It was dumb of them to negotiate with Pau from the position that his market value, even with a premium, was the full mle. They were also stupid for googly after cp3 in the first place

duncan2150
02-08-2019, 11:55 AM
i have a doubt, somebody answer me one time but if we moove gasol on draft night it will be only for his 7 millions guaranteed or for his 16 mil ?

exstatic
02-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Weren't you done with this team? In which case, why do you care?

exstatic
02-08-2019, 12:09 PM
and a contender wouldn't have a need for him at that price.

What price? He's owed ~$5M for the rest of this year, and can be waived for $6M this summer. Not much of a price.

exstatic
02-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Don't know who this goober is, never heard of him, but the reason that the Spurs never showed interest in CP3 is that he never allowed himself to hit FA. He agreed to opt in as a condition of a TRADE to HOU. That happened after the draft, but before FA. Unfortunately, the Spurs had already 'cleared the decks' and made their agreement with Pau.

heyheymymy
02-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Spurs, NBA's boneyard

McGrady

Kevin Willis

Pau outta-Gas-ol

McDyess

Kurt Thomas

TimDunkem
02-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Andre Miller

Kevin Martin

Oh we just won 67 games? Let's give these guys who had nothing to do with it big minutes just because that's what we do with old vets.

spurs1990
02-08-2019, 02:40 PM
You're being a bit dramatic tbh. John Wall is far and away the worst deal in the NBA. Batum's is pretty bad too, Gasol probably doesn't make the top ten worst contract. After this season Gasol is owed $6.7 million if waived. He'll be cut and the Spurs will probably even sign a vet to be the 3rd center on the cheap or draft a big with one of their picks.

Agree that Wall's supermax (and Mike Conley) is atrocious, but in the view of what franchise they play for, neither Memphis nor Washington were ever players or contenders like San Antonio was and should still be. Wall got his contract as that team couldn't replace him otherwise. They have always been irrelevant... don't think they've sniffed an ECF in my lifetime.

Gasol sitting at $16m at age 38 on a team that could desperate utilize both that salary and position is a severe kick in the pants.
Never forget what they paid Timmy his last couple years here. I don't think he made more than $10m total.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Is he gone yet?

Chillen
02-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Gasol is not the problem with this team, if he is fully healthy he can contribute. That has to be why Pop is benching him I guess. Yes, Spurs were stupid to sign him again but might as well hope he can contribute this season because this team needs him to badly. Get healthy Pau.

TheCerebral1
02-08-2019, 03:53 PM
I didn't want him on the team prior to him signing the first time, let a lone re-signing.

John B
02-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Gasol is not the problem with this team, if he is fully healthy he can contribute. That has to be why Pop is benching him I guess. Yes, Spurs were stupid to sign him again but might as well hope he can contribute this season because this team needs him to badly. Get healthy Pau.
Let’s say Pau can contribute, but he directly impedes Poeltl’s growth by taking minutes from him. Poeltl has great potential and needs all the experience he could get playing.

cd021
02-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Agree that Wall's supermax (and Mike Conley) is atrocious, but in the view of what franchise they play for, neither Memphis nor Washington were ever players or contenders like San Antonio was and should still be. Wall got his contract as that team couldn't replace him otherwise. They have always been irrelevant... don't think they've sniffed an ECF in my lifetime.

Gasol sitting at $16m at age 38 on a team that could desperate utilize both that salary and position is a severe kick in the pants.
Never forget what they paid Timmy his last couple years here. I don't think he made more than $10m total.

The Spurs tried to use cap space that summer iirc, and PATFO was likely behind getting Pau to opt out, but it didn't work because Cp3 got traded before FA even started.

I think they gave him that new deal as a thanks for being a "team player" because he was willing to re-sign for much less had they landed a impact player.

They did sacrifice some cap last off-season but after Aldridge re-signed (he would've been able to opt out) and re-upping Mills the off season before plus Kawhi they may have not been able to carve out significant cap space anyway to improve the team.

It's an obvious overpay but, in all, 3 years, $40 million isn't nearly that bad. He was probably this team's second best player for the first 45 games of the season, last season and was looking pretty good in a bench capacity until he got a strass fracture.

That isn't a complete disaster in terms of salary and production over the course of a contract, players like Mahinmi, Biyombo, Mosgov and Thompson are certainly bigger overpays than Gasol was while not being as good as he was at any point in their contract.

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Exactly. If he comes back, you have 12 solid minutes, as he was playing at the beginning of the season. If he doesn't come back, we are at your "solution": Poeltl as the only backup center.
(your words: The return doesn't matter. Just simply shipping Pau out for ANYTHING)

Somehow I am still surprised at how some people lack even the basic logic fundamentals. My fault, I always overrate the school system.

Who’s the dumb shit now?

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 07:07 PM

:lol you’re a dumb shit too

monty4329
02-11-2019, 03:35 AM
Who’s the dumb shit now?

You insist on not applying logical thinking.

timtonymanu
02-11-2019, 04:47 AM
You insist on not applying logical thinking.

And you insist on talking out of your ass

monty4329
02-11-2019, 04:51 AM
And you insist on talking out of your ass

is that why you are attracted to my words?