PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Warriors - Feb. 6, 2019

timvp
02-07-2019, 03:23 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ZXCuFU4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4fEYTVg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KBCbgca.jpg

Nobody beats these Spurs by 40 points. Instead, San Antonio sat LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan and proceeded to lose to the Warriors by a final score of 141-102.

Looking at the big picture, this game played out pretty well for the Spurs. With eyes on tomorrow night's game in Portland, best case scenario tonight was a blowout to ensure that the good guys are as fully rested as possible when they land in Portland. Sure, it's never fun to watch the Spurs get blown out by 39 points but, eh, it gives them a better chance to split the back-to-back.

Since there wasn't much to take from this game, I'll give my thoughts on some of the younger players:

-The talking heads on ESPN said the Spurs hope Derrick White is able to play against the Blazers. If true, that'd be great news. Previously, it sounded like he was out until after the All-Star break. Let's hope his latest injury isn't serious because San Antonio would be in big trouble if White's gimpy for the rest of the season. A healthy White gives the Spurs a chance to win 50 games if things go right.

-Lonnie Walker IV was 0-for-10 from the floor with three turnovers. Ouch. It's safe to say he isn't ready for prime time just yet. He hasn't looked as explosive since injuring his knee, specifically when it comes to jumping off of one leg. Walker looked a whole lot more athletic and freer with his movements in the preseason. The Spurs probably should consider shutting him down for the season if there is any risk of further injury to his knee. (Tonight, he had to leave the court after coming up gimpy in the first half ... but later re-entered the game and wasn't limping.) Against the Warriors, he missed a few early shots and then totally lost his confidence. Walker had a couple good passes but that was about the extent of his positives. And as bad as his offense was, his defense might have been even worse. He doesn't have any instincts on that end and plays too upright, which allows players to easily get around him. All that said, I wouldn't say Spurs fans should be low on Walker after this disappointing outing. He has tools to be a quality player down the road. It's just not going to be this season.

-Drew Eubanks is an interesting prospect. While he's not especially mobile or light on his feet, he's a decently explosive jumper. He's also coordinated for a bigman and has big hands. His jump hook is an NBA-ready shot that he'll be able to get off against most opponents. Eubanks also looks like he has a chance to become an elite shot blocker. The question is whether he's a fit in today's NBA. These days, it's difficult to lack exceptional mobility, lack perimeter skill and lack an outside jumper and still make it. Eubanks has a chance but, as it is with any undrafted player, it's a severe longshot.

-Chimezie Metu is on the other end of the prospect spectrum when compared to Eubanks. While Metu doesn't have anything as NBA-ready as Eubanks' jump hook or shot blocking ability, he's intriguing enough in enough categories to potentially make it at some point down the road. He's a good athlete with fluid mobility. Metu's seems to have a good jumper with solid form. He also has perimeter skill -- he can dribble and pass better than a majority of 21-year-old bigman prospects. But for Metu to carve out an NBA career, he's going to have to find areas where he can excel. Right now, he has potential in a lot of different categories but isn't good enough at anything to warrant playing time.

-Jakob Poeltl at 23 years old is a really good center prospect. He doesn't have a high ceiling but he's going to be a strong asset at center for the next decade. Tonight against the Warriors, he flashed his passing potential along the way to setting a career-high with six assists. It's clear that he's an outstanding offensive rebounder and a great, high percentage finisher around the rim. Two areas he will have to shore up in order to reach his ceiling: First, he has to continue to get better on the defensive glass. He is much improved from his Raptors days in that category but he needs to keep improving. With how well he boards on the offensive end, there's no reason why he can't at least be an average defensive rebounder for a center. Secondly, he needs to develop enough of a post game to score against smaller players. In this small ball era, if teams figure out they can defend him with a small player (cue nightmares of Derek Fisher successfully defending Tiago Splitter as the Spurs were getting backdoor swept), Poeltl becomes a bit player who only can be put in the game in certain matchups. The other option would be Poeltl becoming a knockdown perimeter shooter ... but that's not nearly as likely as him figuring out how to score on the post against smalls.

mkurts
02-07-2019, 03:31 AM
Extremely optimistic view of Walker after today’s game.

Everyone is up for fools gold, no matter how worthless in the end it turns out to be.

vavvi
02-07-2019, 03:35 AM
Well at least now we know why Walker hasn't been playing much

Hoops Czar
02-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Eubanks is white hot trash, kind of like if Forbes was a Center.

Ozballer
02-07-2019, 04:42 AM
Greetings from Australia and always a pleasure and a luxury to read the highly qualified 8.30pm Spurs game report. Thank you so much.
It is wonderful to see a coach with the balls and the wide shoulders (built over a legendary stint) to throw in a "next generation" line up right in middle of the season of one of the most demanding and expensive sporting comps on earth. Also mixing things up enough to give every player in the team something to think about. Bertans and Beli in leadership roles (and they excelled in the 1st Qtr). Also sitting the 2 stars in the team, who can afford to do that in any league? Outcome, a timely refresher to everyone that the TEAM always comes first. It was thoroughly enjoyable and this is what sets the Spurs apart.

tbdog
02-07-2019, 05:00 AM
Didn't watch the game. Was too busy setting google home up in my house so google can market my life. But a good read. Thanks

Larry O
02-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Looking back at this game, on one hand, it was a good opportunity for the youngins to get some burn time against the best team in the League. Of coarse, Pop will use this as a coaching tool for them. The starting lineup that they had out there hung tough with the Dubs until the Good Guys put in the subs and turnovers happened, and the Dubs took advantage of them and eventually blew this game wide open. Pop is taking a gamble that this team would most likely lose tonight, but have a chance to "rest up" LMA and DD10 with hopes to have a chance to steal one in Rip City. Hmmm... it's a BIG gamble but I can see the Blazers penciling this game and bringing the energy and aggressiveness. Hope the Spurs will, too. Not holding my breath, but this team could be staring at an 0-3 start to this RRT... Hope the Good Guys will bring it for tonight's game and get the W. GSG!!!

sananspursfan21
02-07-2019, 07:22 AM
The negativity towards Walker is astounding. The kid’s gonna be good if that knee can stay healthy. Don’t take this out of context but I remember Kobe having some pretty shitty games in his first couple of years. If some of you arm chair scouts and GMs judged him by his first couple seasons, you’d have traded him for a 2nd round pick. Walker’s no Kobe, but gimme a break people.

Anyway, good thoughts timvp, not much to take from this game but much needed rest and preparation for a more realistic game.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-07-2019, 07:26 AM
I like the fact that Lonnie shot 10 times though. Admittedly I didn't see the game bc I didn't feel like watching us lose by a billion. But that's a shooters mentality that I want from Lonnie. But from the few games I've seen he plays incredibly stupid. He rushes shots and plays and really has no feel for the game as of now. But to compare him to Luka or Tony (pros overseas for like 4 years before coming over here) is disingenuous. Lonnie has a lot to learn. Like a lot. Pop is going to take his time and focus on defense first with him and then eventually teach him offense. I knew he was a 3 year project when we drafted him, which is why all the bitching about him being in Austin was stupid. These young 19 year olds from America take time to develop bc they lack so many things: poise, tempo, iq, defense, experience, etc. but I trust Pop and the player development of our staff and think Lonnie will be just fine... In 2021 lol

Spurch
02-07-2019, 07:32 AM
I totally trust pop and the coaching staff, it was a good strategy to tank this game rest our main guys to win future games, 4 games in 6 days is a tough schedule including 2 back to backs against west teams all over 500% our bench and young budding stars had a very good experience this loss will only serve to make us stronger.

Spurch
02-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Lonnie is a bit similar to kawai in the sense that kawai mainly played defense and our coaching staff developed him into the player he is today so it's the same for Lonnie he has great potential he will improve soon enough, it's also the same with White and Murray

vavvi
02-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Lonnie is a bit similar to kawai in the sense that kawai mainly played defense and our coaching staff developed him into the player he is today so it's the same for Lonnie he has great potential he will improve soon enough, it's also the same with White and Murray

The difference being The Nephew "mainly played defense" as you said, and Lonnie showed zero skill or instinct on that end.
I don't think he's a bust yet but it's a work in progress to put it mildly.

John B
02-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Thanks Timvp. Pop has got to have the biggest balls in the NBA. Resting his 2 stars and showcasing his youths against the depending champs in nationally televised game. Classic Pop. We hung in there until experience took over. I’m glad to have seen Lonnie play extended NBA minutes, not G-League or garbage time. As much as he was 0-10 and 3 TO’s, I’d put that as Rookie jitters playing center stage. It was a great experience. He got that off his system playing in the most pressured situation, besides the playoffs, likewise for the rest of the guys. Now it’s time to go to work and plenty at that. For Lonnie and Metu, denying the pass, staying in front of your guy, basic defense. Boxing out for rebounds, picks, taking charges, etc. Concentrate on defense, then practice elevation shots. They have NBA body and athleticism and they certainly can match up well. I was hoping to see Moore also. I’m glad it’s a blowout so the youngsters would come out knowing they have a lot of work ahead of them in the G-League. Identify what they need to work on and practice them and apply in game situations. I wouldn’t read too much on the outcome of the game. It was a practice drill for our youngsters, and it was against the depending champs in a nationally televised game :lol:lol:lol Classic Pop.

FvckMavs
02-07-2019, 09:21 AM
If Derrick White plays tonight in Portland, the injury could likely be a smoke screen to keep him from any potential trade talk.

Blackhaus
02-07-2019, 09:48 AM
I love how trash mark Jackson said Jakob can step outside and hit the three ball while he was at the free throw line and then he proceeded to bank it in with that terrible 1 handed form. Just made me giggle as he had no idea what he was talking about. He can’t shoot from 10 feet let alone a three point shot.

Lonnie has no business being with the big team this year. He needs to play the g league, work all summer and tear up summer league. Then maybe he’ll be ready for spot minutes next year. He was so lost out there, I don’t know how many times guys we’re pointing and telling him where to go on offense. Def needs more time just learning the system. And they def need to strengthen up that knee cause with all his movement and leaping he’s a tweak away from bad news,

LaMarcus Bryant
02-07-2019, 09:51 AM
(cue nightmares of Derek Fisher successfully defending Tiago Splitter as the Spurs were getting backdoor swept),

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1fc54206eea87ff348fbd313caaf7a40/tenor.gif?itemid=5586054

Keepin' it real
02-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the grades!

superbigtime
02-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Greetings from Australia and always a pleasure and a luxury to read the highly qualified 8.30pm Spurs game report. Thank you so much.
It is wonderful to see a coach with the balls and the wide shoulders (built over a legendary stint) to throw in a "next generation" line up right in middle of the season of one of the most demanding and expensive sporting comps on earth. Also mixing things up enough to give every player in the team something to think about. Bertans and Beli in leadership roles (and they excelled in the 1st Qtr). Also sitting the 2 stars in the team, who can afford to do that in any league? Outcome, a timely refresher to everyone that the TEAM always comes first. It was thoroughly enjoyable and this is what sets the Spurs apart.

Great half-full take. Look at the positive.

MultiTroll
02-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Resting his 2 stars
Is SpursTalk the absolute earliest place to get news on which Spurs are out for the game?

Or Does McDodo or some other chosen Spurs media person get it 1st?

BackHome
02-07-2019, 12:54 PM
I like the fact that Lonnie shot 10 times though. Admittedly I didn't see the game bc I didn't feel like watching us lose by a billion. But that's a shooters mentality that I want from Lonnie. But from the few games I've seen he plays incredibly stupid. He rushes shots and plays and really has no feel for the game as of now. But to compare him to Luka or Tony (pros overseas for like 4 years before coming over here) is disingenuous. Lonnie has a lot to learn. Like a lot. Pop is going to take his time and focus on defense first with him and then eventually teach him offense. I knew he was a 3 year project when we drafted him, which is why all the bitching about him being in Austin was stupid. These young 19 year olds from America take time to develop bc they lack so many things: poise, tempo, iq, defense, experience, etc. but I trust Pop and the player development of our staff and think Lonnie will be just fine... In 2021 lol

+1 Even Sean mentioned you draft a guy who is 18 or 19 it’s crazy to right them off in 1 or 2 years.

wildbill2u
02-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Whenever someone says that a player has great physical attributes but low skill sets for BB, I always think of Sir Charles remark, "Deer can run fast and jump high, but you don't find any of them in the NBA."

A gimpy LWalker has little value on the big stage and should be returned to the G League asap. See ya later.