PDA

View Full Version : Another politician caught in blackface

Trill Clinton
02-07-2019, 01:44 PM
https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/1093565167550500866?s=19

Virginia Sen. Tommy Norment was an editor for VMI yearbook filled with racist photos and slurs
By Katherine Hafner and Elisha Sauers
Staff writers
Feb 7, 2019 Updated 5 min ago

https://pilotonline.com/news/govern...cle_d4ce7700-2ae3-11e9-ace9-ff7814740140.html

A Virginia Military Institute yearbook overseen by future state Senate Majority Leader Tommy Norment in 1968 features a host of racist photos and slurs, including blackface.

The revelation about one of Virginia's most powerful Republicans comes as the state’s Democratic governor and attorney general are facing calls to resign over their own admissions they wore blackface as young men.

Norment, R-James City County, was managing editor of The Bomb publication that year. He went to VMI after graduating from James Blair High School in Williamsburg and has been a state senator since 1992.

+6

Steve Earley/Staff
Virginia Senator Thomas K. Norment Jr. photographed during a Senate Committee for Courts of Justice hearing on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019.

On one page of the yearbook, a student poses in blackface, surrounded by others in costumes at a party. Another page features a photo of two men in blackface holding a football.

The N-word is used at least once. A student listed as being from Bangkok, Thailand, is referred to as a “Chink” and “Jap.”

A blurb under one man’s picture says: "He was known as the 'Barracks Jew’ having his fingers in the finances of the entire Corps."

The Bomb has been published continuously since 1897.

When a reporter asked Norment to talk about the yearbook Thursday, the majority leader said, “The only thing I’m talking about today is the budget.”

“I’m here to pass a budget today,” he added when pressed as he headed into a Republican Caucus meeting in late morning.

Virginia’s lawmakers are already reeling after a series of disclosures about the state’s top three Democratic officials. Many have called for Gov. Ralph Northam to resign after a page from his 1984 medical school yearbook surfaced showing a photo of a man in blackface and KKK robe. Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and Attorney General Mark Herring admitted this week to dressing in blackface during his time at University of Virginia.

“It has been the objective of this year’s Bomb staff to concentrate on the VMI as it exists in actuality, not in theory,” Norment wrote in the yearbook on a page for its editors. “There is an ever-broadening chasm between the two positions. With the completion of this editorial and the 1968 Bomb, I regretfully leave behind the theme ‘Honor Above Self’ and the loyalty of a few selected Brother Rats. Work on the Bomb has permitted me to release four years of inhibitions. And now, I am sorry our work is completed. It is a feeling only genuinely understood by those of us who labored in the ‘den of inequity.’”

Northam also attended VMI, graduating in 1981. His yearbook lists his nickname as “c00nman.” He said friends gave him that name, and he’s not sure why.

Scot Marsh, a close friend of Northam’s at VMI, estimated about seven out of 10 cadets had nicknames back then. Some were given by their classmates and others by their “dykes,” or first-class mentors. The protegees were referred to as “rats.”

It wasn’t uncommon for some of the nicknames to be considered slurs or offensive. After flipping through his yearbook Saturday, Marsh said he noticed a man was dubbed “Jew” and another “Pan Face.”

Often the names were embarrassing and meant to poke fun of someone’s appearance.

“I probably wouldn’t start a job interview, ‘Hey, my nickname at VMI was Anvil Head,’” he said.

Marsh said he didn’t remember Northam having a nickname in those days and reached out to some of his classmates to find out whether they knew the origins of “c00nman.” He still doesn’t have an answer, he said. But it’s not a name he believes his former classmate would have picked himself.

“This racial thing, it shocks me,” he said.

Staff writer Gary Harki contributed to this report.

Trill Clinton
02-07-2019, 01:50 PM
The fear/obsession white supremacists have with blacks people is disgusting. Him and northam need to go.

boutons_deux
02-07-2019, 02:27 PM
The fear/obsession white supremacists have with blacks people is disgusting. Him and northam need to go.

Repugs and their base live on, feed off of, campaign on hate (esp of "the other", aka non-white, non-male) and paranoia

Chris
02-07-2019, 02:38 PM

You're not a black person; quit trolling.

DarrinS
02-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Can we get rid of Kimmel, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wse5lgIDxM

Pavlov
02-07-2019, 02:57 PM
How many times have you posted that, Darrin?

Why do you think it's relevant?

Chris
02-07-2019, 03:01 PM
^lol forum cop

Pavlov
02-07-2019, 03:12 PM
^lol forum cop^lol remember that the next time you try to police the Trump thread

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Lol he was the editor. All he did was take the pictures and put em in. Who's to know if he actually did that.

AaronY
02-07-2019, 03:40 PM
How many times have you posted that, Darrin?

Why do you think it's relevant?

Whataboutism is always relevant

Trill Clinton
02-07-2019, 03:41 PM
You're not a black person; quit trolling.

Youre a female atheist

spurraider21
02-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Whataboutism is always relevant
what's the functional difference between whataboutism and calling out hypocrisy?

Chris
02-07-2019, 06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/bigleaguepol/status/1093639893228638208

MultiTroll
02-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Outrageous!
Surely Trill, Chumplov and other sensitive *black* posters will be all over this racism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZN7IzvCVs

TSA
02-07-2019, 08:01 PM

Agreed. What about Fairfax the mouth rapist? He good or he need to go?

TSA
02-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Agreed. What about Fairfax the mouth rapist? He good or he need to go?

Then do Bobby Scott.

DMC
02-07-2019, 08:13 PM
what's the functional difference between whataboutism and calling out hypocrisy?

That's an easy one. Pointing out hypocrisy is pointing out a contradictory stance someone has by things they've said regarding that particular subject. Whataboutism is trying to create a contradictory stance by dragging a red herring into the picture and hoping that individual somehow snares themself with a comment about it.

A fine example of whataboutism would be saying "what about Donald Trump saying that?" You don't know what the response is going to be but you hope you've cornered that individual into condemning Trump. If it was hypocrisy he would have already made the contradictory statement

Pavlov
02-07-2019, 08:22 PM
Agreed. What about Fairfax the mouth rapist? He good or he need to go?Then do Trump.

spurraider21
02-07-2019, 08:23 PM
That's an easy one. Pointing out hypocrisy is pointing out a contradictory stance someone has by things they've said regarding that particular subject. Whataboutism is trying to create a contradictory stance by dragging a red herring into the picture and hoping that individual somehow snares themself with a comment about it.

A fine example of whataboutism would be saying "what about Donald Trump saying that?" You don't know what the response is going to be but you hope you've cornered that individual into condemning Trump. If it was hypocrisy he would have already made the contradictory statement
:tu hadn't thought it through quite like that.

appreciated

Pavlov
02-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Outrageous!
Surely Trill, Chumplov and other sensitive *black* posters will be all over this racism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZN7IzvCVs:lol comedians are all you can find?

:lol Fapps

DMC
02-07-2019, 09:03 PM
:tu hadn't thought it through quite like that.

appreciated

Neither of these things however address the point being made but instead just the person making it. Showing someone is being disingenuous doesn't do anything to disprove the point they're making. A person doesn't have to believe in the point they're making an order for it to be a legit point.

spurraider21
02-07-2019, 10:01 PM
Neither of these things however address the point being made but instead just the person making it. Showing someone is being disingenuous doesn't do anything to disprove the point they're making. A person doesn't have to believe in the point they're making an order for it to be a legit point.
of course

monosylab1k
02-07-2019, 11:11 PM
Can we get rid of Kimmel, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wse5lgIDxM

I’ll wholeheartedly oppose Jimmy Kimmel running for office. But he’s doing stupid comedy, so shut up, you sensitive litte cunt.

Chucho
02-08-2019, 12:02 AM
So...he didnt put black face on. Please edit the lie of a thread title.

Ginobilly
02-08-2019, 09:11 AM

True. Remember that incident at UT austin where whites dressed up as mexican construction/landscape workers and immigration officers and mocked the mexican culture. I've never seen blacks or other ethnicities have racist theme parties where they make fun of people's economical situation. That stuff is childish and immature to the extreme. Yet these are the same people who proclaim to be christian or liberals who love everybody.

Winehole23
02-08-2019, 09:49 AM
if only Dems and Republicans cared as much about ameliorating the effects of racism as policing manifestations thereof in the political class, folks might let a few more youthful indiscretions slide.

neither major party is interested in fixing structural racism, so they overcompensate by overpunishing the petty stuff.

cynical anti-racism is used by left and right like a club to bash political opponents, in the hopes that the real targets of racism will not notice they are in fact being ignored.

MultiTroll
02-08-2019, 10:45 AM
:lol comedians are all you can find?

:lol Fapps
Politicians were not yet politicians. College age kids doing comedy at their parties.
"Comedy blackface is okay" says Chumplov.
Chumplov triggered.

SpursforSix
02-08-2019, 10:57 AM
True. Remember that incident at UT austin where whites dressed up as mexican construction/landscape workers and immigration officers and mocked the mexican culture. I've never seen blacks or other ethnicities have racist theme parties where they make fun of people's economical situation. That stuff is childish and immature to the extreme. Yet these are the same people who proclaim to be christian or liberals who love everybody.

What would be the point in blacks having a party and dressing up and acting as whites? That'd be pretty lame.

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Politicians were not yet politicians. College age kids doing comedy at their parties.
Chumplov triggered.

You just don't understand. Being a comedian is like being gay. You are either born a comedian or you aren't. Only born comedians are allowed to do blackface. Other people trying to do bad taste comedy aren't allowed.

Pavlov
02-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Chumplov triggered.:lol Fapps upset because all his favorite Halloween costume ideas are ruined. Blackface also must make for good camouflage when you stalk young girls at night.

Pavlov
02-08-2019, 01:06 PM
You just don't understand. Being a comedian is like being gay. You are either born a comedian or you aren't. Only born comedians are allowed to do blackface. Other people trying to do bad taste comedy aren't allowed.CC pining for the good ol' days of amateur blackface and separate water fountains.

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2019, 03:15 PM
CC pining for the good ol' days of amateur blackface and separate water fountains.

I could give a shit about blackface. Never did it, never will. I always thought it was stupid, but I think its pretty stupid for people to be losing their shit over it too.

Pavlov
02-08-2019, 03:18 PM
I could give a shit about blackface. Never did it, never will. I always thought it was stupid, but I think its pretty stupid for people to be losing their shit over it too.You choose to lose your shit over comedians and gays.

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2019, 03:23 PM
You choose to lose your shit over comedians and gays.

if posting in the forum is "losing my shit" you have apparently lost your shit about 5 times as much, chump.

Pavlov
02-08-2019, 03:24 PM
if posting in the forum is "losing my shit" you have apparently lost your shit 5 times as much, chump.Depends on what I was bitching about.

You just bitched about comedians and teh gays.

Trill Clinton
02-08-2019, 04:03 PM
I could give a shit about blackface. Never did it, never will. I always thought it was stupid, but I think its pretty stupid for people to be losing their shit over it too.

Of course you think black people should accept racism in 2019

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Of course you think black people should accept racism in 2019

yawn.

How about accepting that some people act like idiots?

Seriously, do you really get butt hurt over some cracker putting shoe polish on his face?

Trill Clinton
02-08-2019, 05:06 PM
yawn.

How about accepting that some people act like idiots?

Seriously, do you really get butt hurt over some cracker putting shoe polish on his face?

You basically want me, a black man, to accept racism. You really need some black friends Jack.

Chris
02-08-2019, 05:14 PM
You basically want me, a black man

:lol

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2019, 05:33 PM
You basically want me, a black man, to accept racism. You really need some black friends Jack.

What punishment do you suggest for a stupid cracker that puts shoe polish on his face? Should we make it a felony?

Spurminator
02-08-2019, 05:49 PM
I think it's fair to suggest these people not run for office. Some of them, anyway.

phxspurfan
02-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Is this something every white kid in the South did when they were growing up? Did they all want to be black?

AaronY
02-08-2019, 07:48 PM
When calling out hypocrisy is used pretty much along a partisan line every time its used it becomes whataboutism. E.G. "what about the other side??" deflectionism Etc

TeyshaBlue
02-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Is this something every white kid in the South did when they were growing up? Did they all want to be black?

Growing up in west texas, outside of Al Jolson, I never even heard of black face. So, no.

Nbadan
02-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Mississippi lieutenant governor was in fraternity that hosted racist party

Mississippi Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves (R) is facing questions about allegations that his college fraternity hosted a racist party, as well as yearbook photos that surfaced Friday showing members dressed as Confederate soldiers.

Reeves was a member of Kappa Alpha at Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss., when the fraternity hosted a party in 1994 that included Afro wigs and pledges wearing Confederate flags around their necks, according to USA Today.

Fraternity members allegedly shouted the N-word at the party, USA Today reported, citing the school's newspaper, and the school's Black Student Association later requested the fraternity be suspended, according to the student newspaper.

The pictures from the 1995 yearbook were published by American Ledger, a website paid for by Democratic super PAC American Bridge 21st Century.

It was not immediately clear Friday whether Reeves is in any of the photos or attended the party in question, though he was a member of the fraternity at the time.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/429177-mississippi-lieutenant-governors-college-yearbook-shows-fraternity

Sir Johnny
02-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Obviously everyone is familiar with Al Jolson. not so much with the great Emmitt Miller.

First time I heard him I knew nothing at all about him, thought he was black.

Then I found a book...Black and White and Blues...he was one of the first talked about having recorded as far back as 1925, he really is huge when it comes to roots music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--afZEdhEA