PDA

View Full Version : Karl's suspension reduced to two games/MRI reveals cartilage tear that could end Russ

ducks
10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Karl's suspension reduced to two games

MRI reveals cartilage tear that could end Russell's NBA career

By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
October 26, 2005

A month ago, George Karl was resigned to missing the first three games of the 2005-06 season as he served an NBA-imposed suspension.

A week ago, his attorney and the NBA Coaches Association were hopeful the suspension would be reduced to one game.

On Tuesday, the NBA delivered a split decision.

After hearing arguments on Karl's behalf, commissioner David Stern reduced the suspension to two games, meaning Karl will sit out the season opener against the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday and the home opener against the Los Angeles Lakers on Nov. 2.

Attorney Bret Adams expressed disappointment the suspension was not cut by two-thirds, but Karl was grateful to Adams, the coaches association and Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe for their effort.

"I personally didn't do a lot of talking to the league office about it," Karl said. "They did everything behind the scenes. I'm happy I get to coach one more game."

Karl, who led Denver to a 32-8 regular-season record after being hired Jan. 27, was suspended and the Nuggets were fined $200,000 in June after Karl attended a workout that included two college players who had not yet declared themselves eligible for the NBA draft.

Similar violations in the past by former Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Lucas and former Dallas Mavericks coach Don Nelson resulted in two-game suspensions and $150,000 fines.

"The NBA just kind of reviewed all the circumstances and thought it was the right thing to do," said coaches association executive director Michael Goldberg.

NBA spokeswoman Maureen Coyle said Stern reviewed the matter and "felt a two-game suspension was sufficient."

Karl's son, Coby, a junior-to-be at Boise State, took part in the workout that landed the coach in hot water, but it was the presence of underclassmen Deron Williams and Bracey Wright that constituted a violation.

"I don't deny I was shocked by the length and amount of the fine," Karl said. "It was my fault. I broke a rule. I did make a mistake. My thing was I was celebrating the season.

"I understand what the league is trying to do. The league is trying to stay in control of certain situations that they think are very important. I know I was wrong, and I was happy they reduced (the suspension). Now, we can get on with the season and put it in the past."

Assistant Scott Brooks will handle the coaching duties against the Spurs and the Lakers. Karl will return for Denver's home game against the Portland Trail Blazers on Nov. 4.

To help ease the transition, Brooks coached Denver's preseason game against the Lakers last Thursday. He also will coach the team in Friday's preseason finale against the Utah Jazz.

"The game I didn't coach in L.A. was very uncomfortable," said Karl, who watched Denver's 11-point victory from the stands. "I'm sure all of them are going to be (uncomfortable).

"It's tough to feel whether you want to be relaxed or whether you want to be intense. I don't know what to be."

Karl said he has missed two games in his 25 years of coaching in the NBA, the CBA and the Spanish League.

"I missed a game in Spain for being sick, and I got suspended once in the CBA," he said. "It's not very comforting for me. Maybe I should go drink beers."

RUSSELL SURGERY: Swingman Bryon Russell received potentially career-threatening news when a magnetic resonance imaging exam revealed a cartilage tear in his left knee.

Russell, who has played 12 NBA seasons, was in Nuggets camp on a non-guaranteed contract as he battled for the final spot on Denver's 15-man roster.

Surgery is tentatively scheduled for next week, and it is uncertain how long he will be sidelined. Denver has 19 players in camp and must be down to 15 by Monday.

Should the Nuggets choose to waive Russell, 34, they still might have to pay him his base salary until Jan. 10 - the date contracts become guaranteed - or until he is healthy. A mutual settlement also could be reached.

Though unlikely, Denver could keep Russell on the 15-man roster.

"We're looking at all the different options," Vandeweghe said. "Bryon didn't ask to get hurt. It's the last thing he wanted."

Center Eric Chenowith and forwards Nigel Dixon, Mark Pope and Theron Smith are the other four players in camp on non-guaranteed deals.

"I'm much more worried about the top eight or nine players than I am about the last six or seven players," Karl said. "I hate to say that to my boys, but coach (Dean) Smith told me a long time ago, coach the stars. Let the assistant coaches coach the bench."

ETC: Forward Kenyon Martin (sore left knee) was limited in practice for the second day in a row. He is unsure if he will play tonight against the Milwaukee Bucks or Friday at Utah. "The knee's cool. It's just a process," Martin said. "Just taking it easy. I don't want to overdo it before the season starts." . . . Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony will appear on Wheel of Fortune on Nov. 3 as part of the show's NBA week.

[email protected] or 303-892-5388