PDA

View Full Version : whoever takes over for pop...

gambit1990
02-08-2019, 01:29 AM
has to mean business.

yeah, a large part of the reason why the patriots won again is cause they have brady. but they also willing to sever ties with wes welker, vince wilfork, adam vinatieri. they didn't blink when it came to letting randy moss go. if the spurs had moved on from parker sooner then white would've gotten PT last year and murray would've gotten more PT the year before that.

pop getting thrown out used to be something that wasn't unexpected--belicheck scowls until he wins the SB.

enough with the "they haven't gotten over themselves" too. nba players are living the dream while making millions :lol do i want ball-hogging chuckers? no. but this is a business. we can't have someone who hasn't gotten over themselves but if you bang your teammate's wife it's okay? smh.

if belichick was an nba coach he's not throwing the bone to the corpses of dante cunningham and quincy pondexter because they're high quality characters.

TheGreatYacht
02-08-2019, 01:45 AM
Parker was inactive for a good part of the season and White still wasn't in the rotation, dumbass :lol

The person in his way was Manure. Murray and Mills were going to take up all the minutes at PG regardless. If the old Mexican would've been put down 4 years sooner, Simmons and White could've gotten more experience in San Antonio instead of in Austin.

TheGreatYacht
02-08-2019, 01:49 AM
Some might even argue playing next to that ballhog Manure for 3 years off the bench stunted Anderson's growth... Players like Anderson, Simmons, and Joseph who can't play off the ball were terrible fits with that scrub and it cost them years of development.

All so a role player can have the longest farewell tour in NBA history. He was Post-Achilles Kobe type of cancerous

gambit1990
02-08-2019, 01:50 AM
^ after parker left he himself said white would have a great opportunity now.

TheGreatYacht
02-08-2019, 01:56 AM
If the team was healthy, these would be the rotations.

Murray/Mills
Forbes/White

Now if the arthritic old chihuahua was still here... :lol

dbestpro
02-08-2019, 03:29 AM
I would settle for Avery Johnson. It would be fun watching him yell non-stop about the defense or lack thereof.

duncan2k5
02-08-2019, 06:07 AM
has to mean business.

yeah, a large part of the reason why the patriots won again is cause they have brady. but they also willing to sever ties with wes welker, vince wilfork, adam vinatieri. they didn't blink when it came to letting randy moss go. if the spurs had moved on from parker sooner then white would've gotten PT last year and murray would've gotten more PT the year before that.

pop getting thrown out used to be something that wasn't unexpected--belicheck scowls until he wins the SB.

enough with the "they haven't gotten over themselves" too. nba players are living the dream while making millions :lol do i want ball-hogging chuckers? no. but this is a business. we can't have someone who hasn't gotten over themselves but if you bang your teammate's wife it's okay? smh.

if belichick was an nba coach he's not throwing the bone to the corpses of dante cunningham and quincy pondexter because they're high quality characters.

I've been saying this for some time now... But everyone said I was wrong

Poolboy5623
02-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Hard to think that less than 5 years ago the Spurs were regarded as the top organization in all of sport lol

SpurPadre
02-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Hard to think that less than 5 years ago the Spurs were regarded as the top organization in all of sport lol

Now they're known as the organization that refuses to get with the times.

jehawk81
02-08-2019, 03:03 PM
... was Manure.
... If the old Mexican would've been put down 4 years sooner..

... ballhog Manure
... that scrub.
... a role player
… Post-Achilles Kobe type of cancerous

… Now if the arthritic old chihuahua was still here... :lol

Shit brah u annoying, but u funny :lmao:lol

timtonymanu
02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
As long as Pop retires. Just an overall negative impact on the court these days.

SouthTexasRancher
02-09-2019, 06:39 AM
It really is time for Pop to retire and move out to the San Francisco area to be with the flower children and within an hour of the winery he is part owner of. He's had a great career but, he looks and acts like a senile old man. He is angrier this season than he has ever been. It is time to retire to his rocking chair and let some young blood take over the helm. Just like players hit theend of the line physically, coaches hit te end of the line mentally.

callo1
02-09-2019, 09:49 AM
I see your points, and you make some good ones, however, Pop knows the Spurs are a small market, and the only way to make the franchise somewhat more appealing to high caliber players is to take care of them with loyalty contracts.

Pop is also always straight forward ward with players and doesn't try to mislead or yank their chain. The vast majority of players appreciate this approach.

If you counted the number of malcontents over the last 20 years, there would be very few...nephew being the most recent. The difference for Pop now is Pop doesn't have major players are willing to give the Spurs a home discount like TD, Manu, and TP did.

Regardless of Pop's philosophy, I respect him for being that straight shooter. Unfortunately some of these excessive contracts have blown up in his face this year.

ZeusWillJudge
02-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Spurstalk:

STILL rehashing Manu/Tony, but claim that the Spurs' organization "can't get with the times". In the same thread.

Pavlov
02-09-2019, 01:05 PM
What I find funny is I saw Popovich was a coattailer of Duncan's legacy before anyone here was talking about it. People used to say I was nuts. Now, a large majority of the forum seems to agree with my original position. What's even more interesting, is that it took him speaking out against a moron like Trump, for them to do it.Your original position from last October?

Johnsyounger
02-09-2019, 01:22 PM
This thread is a joke. Pop has 5 rings in the NBA. Thats an insane number. Sure he had Duncan. No coach ever won shit without talent. And you could argue that Pop won with less talent than most teams. OP just like most on here points out the holes in the roster and no solution. Bertans and White turned out to be steals, like crazy steals. You talking about Q-pon and Cunningham? Bruh.

tbdog
02-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Didn't the Spurs win the title in 14 without an allstar? That's insane. That's coaching.

r0drig0lac
02-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Was it also coaching when Wilt Chamberlain won a ring with a group of plumbers and pizza delivery men vs the Celtics with 10 hall of famers on the roster?

this has never happened (the 1967 philladelphia is one of the greatest teams in history wise talent)

r0drig0lac
02-09-2019, 07:04 PM
LOL, outside of Billy Cunningham(lol) that team was trash. Especially compared to the Celtics.

delusional, but okay, I do not pretend to make you change your mind

Pavlov
02-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Last October? What? Oh... my join date... I've been banned from this forum 3 or 4 times for truth-telling.You must really suck to be permabanned that many times tbh.

GAustex
02-09-2019, 07:34 PM
LOL, outside of Billy Cunningham(lol) that team was trash. Especially compared to the Celtics.
Hal Greer and Chet Walker were pretty good

GAustex
02-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Hal Greer, lifetime PER = 15.7. Not exactly stellar. Basically lives on name recognition.
I think Greer shot free throws using a jump shot

Chillen
02-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Spurs should let Pop pick a coach to take over for him when he decides to retire. A sort of passing the torch kind of thing.

timtonymanu
02-09-2019, 07:42 PM
This thread is a joke. Pop has 5 rings in the NBA. Thats an insane number. Sure he had Duncan. No coach ever won shit without talent. And you could argue that Pop won with less talent than most teams. OP just like most on here points out the holes in the roster and no solution. Bertans and White turned out to be steals, like crazy steals. You talking about Q-pon and Cunningham? Bruh.

Posters that live in the past.. smh

GAustex
02-09-2019, 07:43 PM
I think Greer shot free throws using a jump shot
He was a tough guy combo guard
When I watched I thought he was OK player
But Wilt was unstoppable

Dreadnought
02-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Parker was inactive for a good part of the season and White still wasn't in the rotation, dumbass :lol

The person in his way was Manure. Murray and Mills were going to take up all the minutes at PG regardless. If the old Mexican would've been put down 4 years sooner, Simmons and White could've gotten more experience in San Antonio instead of in Austin.

You are a very angry man. It's good you are venting here and not in the streets, though.

Dverde
02-09-2019, 07:57 PM
I also don't think it's any coincidence Budenholzer is leading garbage teams like the Hawks and Bucks to literally the best records in the East. Guys like him were the real brains of the operation.

Coach Bud was the best. Game strategy he has down. I’m still unsure about leader of men thing with him. Motivation of of the team in the playoffs after losses. He’ll have a chance to prove his greatness in the upcoming playoffs.

turkish spurs fan
02-09-2019, 09:01 PM
manu for sure

Dverde
02-09-2019, 09:10 PM
I think just getting them to the best record in the East is a monumental accomplishment. I don't expect them to do much in the playoffs. They're overachieving, big time. I'm looking for betting lines against Milwaukee in the playoffs all day long. Just in case they've fooled Vegas(I doubt it).

He took ATL to the best record and they barely got to conference final then folded like a paper airplane to Lebron

kuato
02-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Get Ruben Magnano

duncan2k5
02-11-2019, 11:29 AM
I see your points, and you make some good ones, however, Pop knows the Spurs are a small market, and the only way to make the franchise somewhat more appealing to high caliber players is to take care of them with loyalty contracts.

Pop is also always straight forward ward with players and doesn't try to mislead or yank their chain. The vast majority of players appreciate this approach.

If you counted the number of malcontents over the last 20 years, there would be very few...nephew being the most recent. The difference for Pop now is Pop doesn't have major players are willing to give the Spurs a home discount like TD, Manu, and TP did.

Regardless of Pop's philosophy, I respect him for being that straight shooter. Unfortunately some of these excessive contracts have blown up in his face this year.

Well that philosophy hasn't worked... Only washed up players come here... And awarding them loyalty contracts drags down the franchise and runs away the young players that are actually good

duncan2k5
02-11-2019, 11:32 AM
He took ATL to the best record and they barely got to conference final then folded like a paper airplane to Lebron

Because they clearly overachieved... A lesser coach wouldn't even have made the playoffs

Dverde
02-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Because they clearly overachieved... A lesser coach wouldn't even have made the playoffs

Lesser coach have won playoff games versus Lebron. Anything less than ECF for the Bucks will be seen as a disappointment.

r0drig0lac
02-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Lesser coach have won playoff games versus Lebron. Anything less than ECF for the Bucks will be seen as a disappointment.

the top 4 teams in the east has the same level, lose on the ECSF in a balanced series would not be "failing" for any of the teams imo.

MoSpur02
02-11-2019, 12:15 PM
I'm fine with players requesting to be traded. It's how they do it that gets to me at times. I don't agree with them going public with it or leaking it to the media. Be respectful about it. The player and/or agent should speak to the front office/coach directly and make their request. When the trade request goes public I think it causes a distraction to the team and ruins team chemistry.

BSfromTX
02-11-2019, 02:52 PM
It is humorous to see the typical millennials calling for replacement based on "out of date" or "out of touch" as if Pop is simply antiquated and that is simply the only problem. Its what 20 plus years of success will do to your perception of things. Few in this forum have had to deal with "real" mediocrity much less being year to year lottery bound which is what we will get once Pop is gone. I disagree with a lot of what Pop does, but it is not easy to field a competitive team in this league. Say what you will about Pop, but he tries real hard to treat players the right way and believe it or not that has helped us attract players..... so yeah without Pop, I actually think it would be worse. He has had to be resourceful and creative while staying budget conscious (another thing few understand today). I agree 100% Mills and Gasol are bad contracts and I have always hated the fact that our rookies don't get more playing time to develop. His political rants are tiring as well. I get it, but those that criticize Pop never acknowledge the benefits of having him. Yes, believe it or not there are things he does well.

So who exactly would replace Pop and make this organization the best in the league? Ya'll make it sound soooooo simple. Try to at least give some credibility to your argument.

UZER
02-11-2019, 03:14 PM
It is humorous to see the typical millennials calling for replacement based on "out of date" or "out of touch" as if Pop is simply antiquated and that is simply the only problem. Its what 20 plus years of success will do to your perception of things. Few in this forum have had to deal with "real" mediocrity much less being year to year lottery bound which is what we will get once Pop is gone. I disagree with a lot of what Pop does, but it is not easy to field a competitive team in this league. Say what you will about Pop, but he tries real hard to treat players the right way and believe it or not that has helped us attract players..... so yeah without Pop, I actually think it would be worse. He has had to be resourceful and creative while staying budget conscious (another thing few understand today). I agree 100% Mills and Gasol are bad contracts and I have always hated the fact that our rookies don't get more playing time to develop. His political rants are tiring as well. I get it, but those that criticize Pop never acknowledge the benefits of having him. Yes, believe it or not there are things he does well.

So who exactly would replace Pop and make this organization the best in the league? Ya'll make it sound soooooo simple. Try to at least give some credibility to your argument.

I hate this argument. Who was Pop before he replaced Bob Hill? I’m mean, the guy had Tim Duncan on his team and was literally 1 loss away from being fired. He was a nobody. No one could have predicted where he would be today based on the way he started.

BSfromTX
02-11-2019, 04:57 PM
I hate this argument. Who was Pop before he replaced Bob Hill? I’m mean, the guy had Tim Duncan on his team and was literally 1 loss away from being fired. He was a nobody. No one could have predicted where he would be today based on the way he started.

You are 100% correct, but you look at all the coach and GM changes over the years and very few turn out like Pop did. Again, I'm not saying Pop is the GOAT, but we beat the odds when we hired him and again when we kept him when he was "one loss away". My point is that getting someone else is thrown around here all the time like its magically going to be better. I'm not opposed to a change at all and in a lot of ways it would be refreshing, but when you look at the odds, we could go through a decade or two of multiple changes like 90 percent of this league does on a regular basis. I'd like to see how this forum will handle that when they already melt down over 40 win seasons.

diceman
02-11-2019, 05:10 PM
I'm fine with players requesting to be traded. It's how they do it that gets to me at times. I don't agree with them going public with it or leaking it to the media. Be respectful about it. The player and/or agent should speak to the front office/coach directly and make their request. When the trade request goes public I think it causes a distraction to the team and ruins team chemistry.

I think LA is a decent example of how to do it. I think for most, it was surprising when Pop informed during the summer :lma requested a trade. And after they talked, LA and Pop were on the same page. Now, we can all agree LA has some warts and all but he handled it privately for the most part.

dbestpro
02-11-2019, 05:12 PM
I remember Gervin, Kenon, Gilmore. The team should have won it all. Then we became the team of Cadillac Anderson and Walter Berry. We did not say, oh lets be happy cause we got to win with Gervin. True fans hated losing just like they should today. It is a punk argument to say fans are spoiled because they want their team to win.

duncan2k5
02-12-2019, 08:36 AM

U do realize every legendary coach started somewhere? No one expected freaking Steve Kerr to turn golden state into a dynasty... No one expected even pop to turn the Spurs into a great franchise... So keeping someone past prime just because you don't know what to expect from the next coach is silly

duncan2k5
02-12-2019, 08:37 AM
I think LA is a decent example of how to do it. I think for most, it was surprising when Pop informed during the summer :lma requested a trade. And after they talked, LA and Pop were on the same page. Now, we can all agree LA has some warts and all but he handled it privately for the most part.

Pop didn't inform us... The media did... Just like when everyone else requests a trade... And they didn't sit and talk until pop tried to trade him and couldn't

diceman
02-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Pop didn't inform us... The media did... Just like when everyone else requests a trade... And they didn't sit and talk until pop tried to trade him and couldn't

Wow. Reading comprehension 101 would do you wonders. There is an ESPS article in which Pop reveals the trade request ..... "Popovich pointed to that candid interaction with Aldridge as somewhat of a catalyst for the two coming to a better understanding before the start of the season. Asked what helped to bring about Aldridge's resurgent 2017-18 campaign, Popovich deadpanned, "When he said, 'I want to be traded.'"
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22048880/lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-asked-traded-gregg-popovich-reveals

BSfromTX
02-12-2019, 03:46 PM
U do realize every legendary coach started somewhere? No one expected freaking Steve Kerr to turn golden state into a dynasty... No one expected even pop to turn the Spurs into a great franchise... So keeping someone past prime just because you don't know what to expect from the next coach is silly

Yes, and in my last post I acknowledge that fact. I'm just saying the odds are not as good as most in here like to think. Firing Pop will not automatically create success, and the odds are that it could get much worse. I am not opposed to replacing Pop, but those that are for it act like there is a utopia of winning on the other side. I'm just saying all the cliff jumpers need to realize what most likely will come and will need to be patient.

duncan2k5
02-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Wow. Reading comprehension 101 would do you wonders. There is an ESPS article in which Pop reveals the trade request ..... "Popovich pointed to that candid interaction with Aldridge as somewhat of a catalyst for the two coming to a better understanding before the start of the season. Asked what helped to bring about Aldridge's resurgent 2017-18 campaign, Popovich deadpanned, "When he said, 'I want to be traded.'"
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22048880/lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-asked-traded-gregg-popovich-reveals

Wow the irony... Are u fucking stupid?? We found out about LMA requesting a trade immediately during the summer... We didn't find out about it in the following season, dummy

MultiTroll
02-13-2019, 10:14 AM
wonder if whoever takes over for Pop can have as successful a 1st year as he did.

gambit1990
02-16-2019, 06:00 PM
puzzling what the spurs saw in DDR. i'm sure him being a high character guy mattered the most :rolleyes

like, were the spurs aware of his past PO performances?

spurs trading someone who became unstable for someone who has always been unstable :lol

gambit1990
02-16-2019, 06:02 PM
i actually thought pop could fix demar so maybe pop did too... demar is just too much of a head case though.

the dude should be getting paid a lot less and coming off the bench due to how inconsistent he can be.

gambit1990
06-14-2019, 03:13 AM
if this was any other organization then at least one person would get fired.

but pop never has to worry about being held accountable.

props to masai for meaning business and willing to shake the team up twice in one year.

Pavlov
06-14-2019, 03:33 AM
if this was any other organization then at least one person would get fired.

but pop never has to worry about being held accountable.

props to masai for meaning business and willing to shake the team up twice in one year.How much does your butt hurt right now?

SAGirl
06-14-2019, 09:13 AM
i actually thought pop could fix demar so maybe pop did too... demar is just too much of a head case though.

the dude should be getting paid a lot less and coming off the bench due to how inconsistent he can be.
Pop takes too much credit for having had HOF players tbh. I see that now.

Was he going to make Pau stop being soft? No. Was he going to change Lamarcus’ game? No. Fact is when he tried he almost drove him away. Was he going to change Demar, Mills or Marco? Nope. Was Kawhi any less of a player bc he wasn’t coached by Pop? No.

Its definitely a players league.

gambit1990
06-16-2019, 03:28 PM
How much does your butt hurt right now?
:lol what?

i'm a kawhi fan, the year went exactly how i thought it would.

gambit1990
06-16-2019, 03:31 PM
with the west as open as it is now, this season is the perfect opportunity for pop to show there can be life after kawhi.

really depends how hungry he is / how much of a fire he has. if he isn't hungry anymore then he shouldn't be HC.

Snaq O'Meal
06-16-2019, 04:57 PM
with the west as open as it is now, this season is the perfect opportunity for pop to show there can be life after kawhi.

really depends how hungry he is / how much of a fire he has. if he isn't hungry anymore then he shouldn't be HC.

If he acts like he cares, he’ll be exposed as a fraud if the team gets dumped in the first round again.

But if he acts like he doesn’t give a shit anymore, his legacy will be preserved. He’ll still collect a fat paycheck because the owners probably think he’s a GOAT coach.