PDA

View Full Version : Granik stepping down as deputy commissioner after 22 years

ducks
10-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Granik stepping down as deputy commissioner after 22 years

By Associated Press
October 26, 2005

NEW YORK - Russ Granik will leave his job as NBA deputy commissioner after this year to become a senior adviser to David Stern.

Granik will remain the league's main representative to USA Basketball and board chairman of the Basketball Hall of Fame as well as an aide to the commissioner. Granik is in his 30th year with the NBA and was second in command for the past 22.

"It was long enough. I feel I've contributed as much as I can," Granik said Tuesday. "I've done my best. It just seemed like the right time for me to maybe take a step back.

"I want to take it a little bit easier for a while and then see what else I might want to do."

The announcement came on the first day of the NBA's annual Board of Governors meeting. Another change comes today, when Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo will step down after two terms as chairman of the board and his successor will be chosen.

But Stern won't be leaving anytime soon, committing to the owners that he would remain a "minimum" of five more years.

Colangelo praised the commissioner.

"The league has accomplished so much in the last 30 years, but the potential over the next decade is incredible, just with technology alone," Colangelo said. "And you really need to have that stability, and the stability that David has offered the league in terms of his leadership and building a strong organization of people is very important to that future."

The 57-year-old Granik was the NBA's chief negotiator for the past four collective bargaining agreements. He was involved in network television contracts, helped oversee expansion from 22 to 30 teams, and was instrumental in NBA players competing in the Olympics.

"There's nothing that we have accomplished in the last 30 years that Russ hasn't been in the center of," Stern said. "So it's quite an NBA career that will be coming to a - I don't want to say a close - but will be slowing down at the end of the year."

Granik wanted to leave after the latest collective bargaining agreement was completed, but Stern persuaded him to stay one more season to help with the transition. Stern said Granik's replacement would come from within the league and probably would be announced by the end of the season or possibly at the All-Star Game in February.

ETC.: Seattle's Nick Collison, a 6-foot-9 power forward, is adapting to playing against much taller athletes when he is forced to play center. "Before I started playing I didn't know if I'd be able to do it," Collison said. "In my head, I'm thinking NBA centers are guys like Shaq (O'Neal), Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing . . . guys like that." First-year Seattle coach Bob Weiss has said he wants to bring Collison off the bench at power forward, which is where Collison is more comfortable. Weiss said he would team Collison with powerful Danny Forston on occasion. "The way the league is now, there's not too many huge guys anymore," Collison said. "And when you play against those guys, you get a lot of help anyway. I found that I was a lot better at it (playing center) than I thought that I was." . . . Minnesota Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey wants center Michael Olowakandi more involved in the team's offense. "If Mike has paint under his feet, I want (his teammates) to throw the ball to him," Casey said. "If he does not, we do not throw it to him. Those are his expectations." . . . The Celtics waived guard Will Bynum.

Copyright 2005, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.