PDA

View Full Version : Gasol asked to be traded before the trade deadline

smaka
02-10-2019, 01:38 PM
So here's that:

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-pau-gasol-requested-trade-from-san-antonio

Wonder if the Spurs really couldn't find anyone who'd be willing to trade for him.

Dverde
02-10-2019, 01:40 PM
No words.

r0drig0lac
02-10-2019, 01:41 PM
No words.

dat culture

Chomag
02-10-2019, 01:44 PM
GG Spurs FO

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Fucking asshole. Spurs gave him huge money that he hasn't been worth for years and that's the appreciation he shows? That's even worse than Finley wanting a buyout to go to Boston.

Clipper Nation
02-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Sucks for MVPau that Pop was too busy making jokes about trades instead of actual trades.

Mikeanaro
02-10-2019, 01:47 PM
That may work... if you are AD.

MoSpur02
02-10-2019, 01:49 PM
I think the Spurs couldn't find anyone who wanted that horrible contract and horrible player that "made sense" to them.

DPG21920
02-10-2019, 01:51 PM
I think the Spurs couldn't find anyone who wanted that horrible contract and horrible player that "made sense" to them.

Im shocked that some of these teams with big tax bills or cap space aspirations were not willing to trade for Pau the contract; not the player.

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Hopefully this summer when some team can trade up to $20 million for the $7 million they'd owe Gasoft after cutting him.

Austin_Toros
02-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Spurs refusing to trade even when washed up players want to leave :lol

Dex
02-10-2019, 01:57 PM
I guess that partial guarantee didn't really hold much value in the market. Teams probably know that the Spurs are just trying to shed his contract themselves...and the fact that he brings little to nothing on the floor at this point doesn't help.

They probably wanted the Spurs to add other assets just to get rid of him, and it's not really worth it to do so.

If he unhappy, sit his ass on the bench and we can take advantage of stretching him and shipping him out next season.

Dex
02-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Spurs refusing to trade even when washed up players want to leave :lol

I mean, reports came out that the Spurs were trying, and now it's come out that he wanted to go. That doesn't just magically make a good deal appear, and it's not worth giving away more just to get rid of him.

emanueldavidginobili
02-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Makes me sick how much he’s getting paid and what they could have done with this money instead

Chillen
02-10-2019, 01:59 PM
If he wants a buyout now he better be careful because it's possible no team will want to sign him. This is definitely frustration over lack of playing time.

Dverde
02-10-2019, 02:03 PM
If he wants a buyout now he better be careful because it's possible no team will want to sign him. This is definitely frustration over lack of playing time.

I don’t think he can be a buyout, he has a partial guarantee next year.

Russ
02-10-2019, 02:03 PM
No surprise.

It was obvious that Gasol asked for a trade when reports on that subect first surfaced.

Dverde
02-10-2019, 02:06 PM
The Spurs medical staff did misdiagnosis his injury. Par for the course :lol

MoSpur02
02-10-2019, 02:20 PM
They need to part ways by way of buyout if he's really unhappy here.

NASpurs
02-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Uh oh, another player wants out. Watch Pop try to mend this and give him an extension in the offseason.

Chinook
02-10-2019, 02:30 PM
This has been a thing since he came back. Pau makes sense as the third center for a team that already has him. But he doesn't make sense to acquire given how easy it is to find good centers for much cheaper. The Spurs should not have made a bad move just to accommodate him. If he wants out, he has to agree to give up all $6.7 Million from his guarantee next year. That's my line if I'm the Spurs. I'm glad to see that the Spurs weren't willing to do a deal just to make him happy.

boutons_deux
02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Fucking asshole. Spurs gave him huge money that he hasn't been worth for years and that's the appreciation he shows? That's even worse than Finley wanting a buyout to go to Boston.

I guess like Tony, he wants to play.

Tony can still play, Pau outta-Gas-ol can't, or won't, play.

TheGreatYacht
02-10-2019, 02:34 PM
:lol remember when the PATFO fluffers justified his contract because he was "loyal", three years after he snubbed us for Chicago. Now he's requesting a trade...

The vanilla posters here (they know who they are) just look dumber and dumber by the day.

phxspurfan
02-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Probably no one wanted his ass.

slick'81
02-10-2019, 02:44 PM
And yet hes still fucking here and cutting into poodles minutes

TDomination
02-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Good I'm fine with a buyout

SuperCam
02-10-2019, 02:47 PM
seems half the spur roster the last few years wants a trade, whether they get it like kiwi, or not, like LMAlpha.

major indictment of the out of touch, past their prime coaching staff, tbh

Keepin' it real
02-10-2019, 02:49 PM
In retrospect, maybe signing Pau to that $48M contract was not the most prudent thing to do?

Ginobilly
02-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Gasoft is done. Dude should retire or accept his new role as a bench ceneter.

SpurPadre
02-10-2019, 02:56 PM
I mean, reports came out that the Spurs were trying, and now it's come out that he wanted to go. That doesn't just magically make a good deal appear, and it's not worth giving away more just to get rid of him.

Danny Green agrees with you. But that he was cracking jokes all day goes to show they cared more about preserving "the culture" and didn't take Pau's request seriously.

BD24
02-10-2019, 02:57 PM
:lol remember when the PATFO fluffers justified his contract because he was "loyal", three years after he snubbed us for Chicago. Now he's requesting a trade...

The vanilla posters here (they know who they are) just look dumber and dumber by the day.
I don't remember anyone justifying his contract tbh.

From what I can remember it was pretty unanimously called a bad contract. Carry on with your edgy revisionist history though. I know its important for your online persona, faggot.

Ginobilly
02-10-2019, 02:58 PM
seems half the spur roster the last few years wants a trade, whether they get it like kiwi, or not, like LMAlpha.

Something is going on in the spurs work environment. It seems like a company going under or a family going through their parents divorce. Nobody speaking to one another and everybody wanting to do their own thing.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Good that they didn't attach a pick to get rid of his contract just to accommodate him. Hope he waives that guarantee for next season but obviously very unlikely so they'll have to stretch it unless they could miraculously trade him by draft time.

He's probably going back to Europe, Barcelona awaits him. He'll still be good there. Probably start over Tomic too.

TheGreatYacht
02-10-2019, 03:02 PM

"Lithen here mither, Patty Millth the locker room leader was thigned for one reason and one reason only. Locker room leadership! Sure we thuck cock, but at leath the culture and chemithry ith at an all time high!"

TheGreatYacht
02-10-2019, 03:05 PM
I don't remember anyone justifying his contract tbh.

From what I can remember it was pretty unanimously called a bad contract. Carry on with your edgy revisionist history though. I know its important for your online persona, faggot.
Will you never post again if I bring quotes? You cocksucking faggot. Let's bet right now. timvp will take care of it just in case you welch

SuperCam
02-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Will you never post again if I bring quotes? You cocksucking faggot. Let's bet right now. timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) will take care of it just in case you welch

numbers in a username :lmao

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Please just retire already Gasoft.

BD24
02-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Will you never post again if I bring quotes? You cocksucking faggot. Let's bet right now. timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) will take care of it just in case you welch
There may have been 1 or 2, I don't really remember, but I remember by and large it was called a shitty contract. Again you can pretend there was a shit load of people justifying it, but that is your shitty revisionist history tbh.

Feel free to look up quotes if you want. I can't imagine you will find more than a few people saying it was a good contract.

SuperCam
is there anything more eurofaggy than some pussy like gasoft getting emotional and crying about his role and wanting out? of course PATFO let this fruitcake rob the franchise blind :lol

BD24
numbers in a username :lmao
:lol Kawhi, Davis, and Lebron will all be on the lakers :lol

Get the fuck out of here you shitty troll faggot.

dbestpro
02-10-2019, 03:16 PM
To make salaries match per the contract the team taking Gasol would have to take on 16mil while the Spurs could only take back 6mi. No one had 10mil cap space for what the Spurs would offer. It was just a bad, dumb contract to begin with.

Nathan89
02-10-2019, 03:21 PM
I asked for him to not get another contract with the Spurs.

r0drig0lac
02-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Something is going on in the spurs work environment. It seems like a company going under or a family going through their parents divorce. Nobody speaking to one another and everybody wanting to do their own thing.

Duncan's lack

Chinook
02-10-2019, 03:28 PM
To make salaries match per the contract the team taking Gasol would have to take on 16mil while the Spurs could only take back 6mi. No one had 10mil cap space for what the Spurs would offer. It was just a bad, dumb contract to begin with.
That didn't apply to this year. This year, they just needed a matching salary. I really hate that that guy tweeted out wrong info, because it keeps finding its way to people.

duncan2k5
02-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Don't know why Gasol has been getting the Spurs legend treatment... The guy is a selfish scumbag

ace3g
02-10-2019, 04:54 PM
I know what team Gasol wants to go to.

https://twitter.com/paugasol/status/1094714174851203072

Spurs fever
02-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Don't know why Gasol has been getting the Spurs legend treatment... The guy is a selfish scumbag

He still thinks it's 2008.

Genovaswitness
02-10-2019, 05:00 PM
I know what team Gasol wants to go to.

https://twitter.com/paugasol/status/1094714174851203072

what a fucking clown

Mikeanaro
02-10-2019, 05:06 PM
I want to see his defenders, whats the excuse?.

duncan2150
02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
That didn't apply to this year. This year, they just needed a matching salary. I really hate that that guy tweeted out wrong info, because it keeps finding its way to people.

if we moove him during draft day or summer it Will he only for his 6 mo guaranteed ?

ZeusWillJudge
02-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Gasol was out for 28 games, due to a stress fracture. Most mortals don't understand that stress fracture is an overuse injury. Nine games into the season, playing 17 minutes per night, and he's got an overuse injury. It doesn't matter if he can occasionally put up double digit points or rebounds. If his body can't stand up to 17 minutes a night, he's washed up.

If he was expiring, someone might have bought the contract and kept him for light-duty insurance. But with that $6.75M hit on next year's cap, the Spurs would have had to throw in some kind of value to move him. That much was true even before he missed 28 games. No chance the Spurs throw in anything of value just to accommodate his dumb ass for a few more months.

I don't know the terms on his guarantee, but maybe Pau figured the Spurs will wait until the last minute before cutting him loose next year, like they did with Jonathan Simmons. If they cut him loose early, he could still sign with another team and make an extra $3M next year. If he thinks he's still got more value than that, he's delusional on top of washed up.

If that's not it, then it sounds like things have completely gone to shit in SA, and the rats are looking for a way off the ship.

Leetonidas
02-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Fuck this dude. Hopefully spurs just eat the 6 mil and waive this douche next year so we can be rid of him finally

Genovaswitness
02-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Gasol was out for 28 games, due to a stress fracture. Most mortals don't understand that stress fracture is an overuse injury. Nine games into the season, playing 17 minutes per night, and he's got an overuse injury. It doesn't matter if he can occasionally put up double digit points or rebounds. If his body can't stand up to 17 minutes a night, he's washed up.

If he was expiring, someone might have bought the contract and kept him for light-duty insurance. But with that $6.75M hit on next year's cap, the Spurs would have had to throw in some kind of value to move him. That much was true even before he missed 28 games. No chance the Spurs throw in anything of value just to accommodate his dumb ass for a few more months.

I don't know the terms on his guarantee, but maybe Pau figured the Spurs will wait until the last minute before cutting him loose next year, like they did with Jonathan Simmons. If they cut him loose early, he could still sign with another team and make an extra $3M next year. If he thinks he's still got more value than that, he's delusional on top of washed up.

If that's not it, then it sounds like things have completely gone to shit in SA, and the rats are looking for a way off the ship.

probably this. you can only hear pop's tired senile ramblings so many times before you start to tune him out

picnroll
02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Was Gasol eligible to be bought out?

Chris
02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Role players asking to be traded :lol

GTFO you piece of shit :lol

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 05:37 PM

Huh? The Spurs could have taken back about $21 million for Gasol at the deadline. For instance, something like this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5sxqlmr

Since Gasol's contract is dropped to $16 million for next season the Spurs can only trade for a little over $20 million in salary back this summer.

GreekSpursfan
02-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Hawks are not giving you Huerter for a corpse player. Only way to get rid of Gasol contract is if you attach pick with him. Spurs will never do that. Spurs fucked up here but its for the best because we need to tank anyway and we need as many corpses as possible.

alpha_HaZE
02-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Newest rumour is that he wants a buy out before March 1st, so he will be playoff eligible if he were to sign with a contender. I hope that's the case and that he leaves the Spurs. On to next season with a healthy squad.

RD2191
02-10-2019, 06:07 PM
This is fucking embarrassing and pathetic. PATFO :lmao

RD2191
02-10-2019, 06:09 PM
PATFO paying this worthless fuck :lmao

sasaint
02-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Hawks are not giving you Huerter for a corpse player. Only way to get rid of Gasol contract is if you attach pick with him. Spurs will never do that. Spurs fucked up here but its for the best because we need to tank anyway and we need as many corpses as possible.

Pop won't tank. He will flog this dead horse all the way to the finish line. it is barely conceivable that they make the 8th seed. If they don't get swept in the first round, SA should throw a parade on the river.

RD2191
02-10-2019, 06:14 PM
This franchise is going downhill fast

alpha_HaZE
02-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Pop won't tank. He will flog this dead horse all the way to the finish line. it is barely conceivable that they make the 8th seed. If they don't get swept in the first round, SA should throw a parade on the river.

Tanking sucks anyways, if you look the past NBA drafts there is as much talent in the 10+ range as in the top10. Makes no sense to tank, in the past it used to be a good idea, but league has taken measures against it.

RD2191
02-10-2019, 06:16 PM

But we're true Spurs fans because we suck PATFO's cock no matter what! :cry :cry :lmao

TimDunkem
02-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Still a culture guy? Still worth the contract? Still very moveable? Spurs paid Gasol all that money to burn out, get hurt, and sit on the bench pouting.

Disgusting.

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 06:23 PM

I only posted that trade to illustrate the salary the Spurs could take back for Gasol. And this summer he's a contract that could allow a team to shed $20 million in 2019-20 salary while only paying his $7 million guaranteed. Maybe the Spurs are stupid and can't find a deal for him but it's a more valuable trading piece this summer since his 2018-19 salary will have already been paid.

Dverde
02-10-2019, 06:45 PM
This franchise is going downhill fast

This offseason will be telling. They got a chance to turn it around. Key is is trade Patty to free up cap space. No way of doing this mid-season with this front office. No excuse to not move a guard in the offseason. DJ coming back and need minutes.

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 06:48 PM
This offseason will be telling. They got a chance to turn it around. Key is is trade Patty to free up cap space. No way of doing this mid-season with this front office. No excuse to not move a guard in the offseason. DJ coming back and need minutes.

Capspace is worthless for the Spurs. No one worth a crap is signing here when the team is middle of the road (and declining) and a small market.

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 06:53 PM
But I was told his value was culture and being a lockerroom guy.

:lol Mr Body
:lol that Monty poster

Mikeanaro
02-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Still a culture guy? Still worth the contract? Still very moveable? Spurs paid Gasol all that money to burn out, get hurt, and sit on the bench pouting.

Disgusting.
They paid him to scream on court like an autistic fuck, and he was great doing that.
Now other arenas deserve to hear his melodies.

r0drig0lac
02-10-2019, 07:23 PM
But I was told his value was culture and being a lockerroom guy.

:lol Mr Body
:lol that Monty poster

spurstalk studs spent 1 year saying that their contract was easily tradeable (they just forgot to say that we would have to deliver a pick or get a bad contract for it)

MoSpur02
02-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Hopefully ownership puts more pressure on the front office to get better players.

Chris
02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Never trust a Spaniard :lol

Russ
02-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Never trust a Spaniard :lol

Are you Basque?

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Hilarious how Pop was willing to play him to showcase him and the TOSB couldn’t keep up with the Kings. :lol

Fuck Gasoft. Hated him the whole time he was here.

slick'81
02-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Hilarious how Pop was willing to play him to showcase him and the TOSB couldn’t keep up with the Kings. :lol

Fuck Gasoft. Hated him the whole time he was here.

The fact he stiffed the spurs once and was rewarded with an exstension is still horrific

sasaint
02-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Yes, we need to move a guard, but you are focused on the wrong contract and the wrong player.

south side spur
02-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Capspace is worthless for the Spurs. No one worth a crap is signing here when the team is middle of the road (and declining) and a small market.

Maybe it won’t matter this summer but Murray Bertans and Poetl will all be getting extensions next summer.

mo7888
02-10-2019, 10:11 PM
The only way is let him go before March 1st is if he gives up his buyout for next season. If he won't do that keep him and either trade him at the draft or waive him over the summer.

sasaint
02-10-2019, 10:19 PM
The only way is let him go before March 1st is if he gives up his buyout for next season. If he won't do that keep him and either trade him at the draft or waive him over the summer.

Yep. :tu

NASpurs
02-10-2019, 10:23 PM
People here hit it on the nose when they said he was being showcased. Probably worked against his favor though.

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 10:25 PM
People here hit it on the nose when they said he was being showcased. Probably worked against his favor though.

It's hilarious reading the comments of people defending him though. :lol so much culture/good lockerroom guy only for him to demand a trade after losing minutes.

MultiTroll
02-10-2019, 10:34 PM
It's hilarious reading the comments of people defending him though. :lol so much culture/good lockerroom guy only for him to demand a trade after losing minutes.
Did anyone here ever think he was *good culture* / *good locker room* guy?

FFS

SouthTexasRancher
02-10-2019, 10:36 PM
Hell, nobody in the league wanted the 'OLD' Gasol. They all wanted the young Gasol and he may finally get a ring this year or next.

UnWantedTheory
02-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Most here knew, and said, his contract was a mistake, but that doesn't change the logic in why they did it. It was a gamble that was lost and they needed to honor their word. It is what it is.

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 10:43 PM
This genius right here:

Knuckleheads on this board don't really understand corporate knowledge or culture. This team wouldn't be solving its issues with the chemistry it has without guys like Mills and Gasol. Sure, we might have overpaid, but we have these players to glue everyone together.

Corporate knowledge and culture = demands trade.

At least Patty never pulls that shit.

Play Boban
02-10-2019, 10:44 PM
If only we could’ve gotten Gasol when he went to the Bulls instead. He was still good back then tbh.

BlackAndWhite
02-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Gasol declined fast. I remember he was never happy with his role unless he got a significant amount of touches. He started pouting when he pop tried to bring him off of the bench tbh.

BackHome
02-10-2019, 11:16 PM
Yeah pretty much every one on forum said he was washed up and contract was stupid I have no
idea what RC and Poop we’re thinking? But if I am RC I am still playing Gasoft cause he helps with our tanking for a better draft pick. But I am telling Gasol up front next year he is backup to Poodle and Nikola.

Capt Bringdown
02-10-2019, 11:22 PM
LOL, today's NBA.

TimDunkem
02-10-2019, 11:26 PM
Lol Today's PATFO :lol

John B
02-10-2019, 11:39 PM
That’s mess up. It seems like only the organization has loyalty not the players. I hope Pop just don’t play him and just give all the minutes to Poeltl.

rj215
02-11-2019, 01:39 AM
PATFO and Pau are a perfect fit: both clearly delusional. Both still think its 2010 or some $hit. Can't wait for his contract extension and Patty's eventual loyalty contract.

Degoat
02-11-2019, 01:42 AM
So can the spurs buy him out before the deadline for him to join a playoff contender? I doubt the spurs do it but it would be nice if maybe they tried out some players on some 10 day contracts or something

LakerHater
02-11-2019, 02:50 AM
three years after he snubbed us for Chicago. Now he's requesting a trade...

monty4329
02-11-2019, 03:53 AM

In fairness, the idiot medical staff sent him to practice with a fucking broken foot, obviously worsening the situation. Wouldn't you want to try to get out and maybe play a couple years more? Instead of enging up in crutches? before the injury he was playing pretty OK.

ceperez
02-11-2019, 06:20 AM

Makes sense.

On the other hand, this could all be window dressing. It's bad enough that the team was shopping Gasol, but to dress it up that he wanted out make Gasol look better than he actually is.

skookumchuck
02-11-2019, 07:16 AM
PATFO and Pau are a perfect fit: both clearly delusional. Both still think its 2010 or some $hit. Can't wait for his contract extension and Patty's eventual loyalty contract.

In all fairness, I also sometimes think it's still 2010. Time flew by like a motherfucker.

Yes, I'm extremely delusional.

ZeusWillJudge
02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
In fairness, the idiot medical staff sent him to practice with a fucking broken foot, obviously worsening the situation. Wouldn't you want to try to get out and maybe play a couple years more? Instead of enging up in crutches? before the injury he was playing pretty OK.

You don't know that his foot was broken. "Stress fracture" also includes bruising of the bone. It's an overuse injury, which means it takes place over time. When muscles get too tired (worn out) to absorb the repeated impact, they load gets taken by the bone. If the bone can't take the pounding, it develops tiny fissures and there is pain/swelling. If you keep it up, actual cracks will develop and eventually breaks. It's the same thing that hobbled Manu so many times, just a different place. Plantar fasciitis (Duncan, Derek White) is an overuse injury. Half the damn league will have some form of overuse eventually.

You don't know what the medical staff did or didn't do. You don't know that Pau had a "break" in his foot. And you don't know about the most common injury in the sport you follow. For all of that and more:

You have been judged and found unworthy.

02-11-2019, 09:47 AM
$16 million for this tosb :lol

Mugen
02-11-2019, 10:43 AM
:lmao people who thought Pau wouldn't fuck shit up as soon as he got healthy...

GreekSpursfan
02-11-2019, 10:48 AM

I'm talking about next season, this season will end exactly how you say it will.

GreekSpursfan
02-11-2019, 10:57 AM
I only posted that trade to illustrate the salary the Spurs could take back for Gasol. And this summer he's a contract that could allow a team to shed $20 million in 2019-20 salary while only paying his $7 million guaranteed. Maybe the Spurs are stupid and can't find a deal for him but it's a more valuable trading piece this summer since his 2018-19 salary will have already been paid.

I agree but all i'm saying is that this team needs to tank anyway so having Gasol doesn't mean much imo. Warriors are still here and a superteam will form in the summer based on all the things we hear about the Fakers and other teams so there is no window of success with the current roster, tank and tank not just for one season is the only way.

duncan2k5
02-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Be prepared for LMA to get like this VERY soon... He already started, but he at least had SOME gas in him... Which is why I'm baffled as to why they signed him an extra four years without him playing a significant game after his miserable playoff showing and trade demand

exstatic
02-11-2019, 12:09 PM
I agree but all i'm saying is that this team needs to tank anyway so having Gasol doesn't mean much imo. Warriors are still here and a superteam will form in the summer based on all the things we hear about the Fakers and other teams so there is no window of success with the current roster, tank and tank not just for one season is the only way.

I really don't see that superteam forming in LA this summer. NO has been basically ignoring LA's calls, and seems to be ready to take any other offers, meaning Davis won't be available to LA until 2020 when he's a FA. I also don't see GS lasting past this year. KD is almost certain to leave, and it wouldn't shock me if Thompson did, too.

monty4329
02-11-2019, 01:12 PM
You don't know that his foot was broken. "Stress fracture" also includes bruising of the bone. It's an overuse injury, which means it takes place over time. When muscles get too tired (worn out) to absorb the repeated impact, they load gets taken by the bone. If the bone can't take the pounding, it develops tiny fissures and there is pain/swelling. If you keep it up, actual cracks will develop and eventually breaks. It's the same thing that hobbled Manu so many times, just a different place. Plantar fasciitis (Duncan, Derek White) is an overuse injury. Half the damn league will have some form of overuse eventually.

You don't know what the medical staff did or didn't do. You don't know that Pau had a "break" in his foot. And you don't know about the most common injury in the sport you follow. For all of that and more:

You have been judged and found unworthy.

Dude, wtf you talking about? He was sent to practice after being out couple weeks, he said foot was hurting, back to MRI, foot was indeed broken.
Check your sources (i.e. use two fingers and google). You are a moron, anyway.

Dancelot
02-11-2019, 01:41 PM
In all fairness, I also sometimes think it's still 2010. Time flew by like a motherfucker.

Yes, I'm extremely delusional.
This. All the time. Just last night I couldn’t remember my age and thought I was much younger for a second.

Dancelot
02-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Be prepared for LMA to get like this VERY soon... He already started, but he at least had SOME gas in him... Which is why I'm baffled as to why they signed him an extra four years without him playing a significant game after his miserable playoff showing and trade demand
Agreed. I foresee LMA asking for a trade in this off season, especially if we miss the PO.

ceperez
02-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Buy him out so he can join the Raptors!!

ceperez
02-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Here's why Pau is with the Spurs:

http://www.nba.com/video/2019/02/10/20190210-beyond-paint-pau-gasol-symphony

exstatic
02-11-2019, 03:06 PM

You're a moron. His extension was for two years, making him under CONTRACT for four years, two of which he was already signed for.

Oh, and the second year of the extension, 2020-2021 is only guaranteed for $7M if he's cut before 29 June.

timvp
02-11-2019, 05:40 PM
I guess that partial guarantee didn't really hold much value in the market.

This is what it came down to. I never bought the narrative that Gasol's contract held much intrinsic value. Some acted as if his contract would be coveted because it could help a team shed salary. In reality, teams didn't value it anywhere near as much as a regular expiring contract. Gasol's contract was viewed as an expiring but with $6M+ in dead money attached to in for the next season. If you were a team looking to salary dump someone, there were much better options that didn't include that dead money attachment.

The Spurs would have had to taken back a horrendous contract or attach an actual asset. I'm glad they didn't do go down either one of those routes.

Now you can let Gasol go if he agrees to give up that dead money. If he doesn't, then let him rot at the end of the bench and go to symphonies or whatever. If things go south, unleash Tank Commander Pau.

TD 21
02-11-2019, 06:58 PM
I don't understand the complaints. He's 38, a future HOFer and before his injury, was still easily (and with steady minutes, probably still is) a rotation caliber player. He'd still be that here if not for scumbag's antics and the front office making an atrocious trade. He might even still be that here if not for them stumbling into their now preferred 9 man rotation and taking off when he got injured.

Why should he silently collect his money while what remains of his career dwindles away? Even though they awarded him with an absurd contract, they screwed him in this sense.

Now you can let Gasol go if he agrees to give up that dead money. If he doesn't, then let him rot at the end of the bench and go to symphonies or whatever. If things go south, unleash Tank Commander Pau.

Why should he have to pay (giving up his $6.7M guarantee for next season) for their mistakes? If he asks for his release, they shouldn't even have the gall to try to negotiate.

DJR210
02-11-2019, 07:12 PM
:lol Pau

Hopefully this was a reality check for him, he should be grateful he's even getting a paycheck at this point.. He isn't worth 2 pallets of dog shit

BackHome
02-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Gasol sucks he still thinks he can still play man Manu could come back for a few games and dunk all over his ass. His ego is bigger then KY uncle sit his on the bench and if he wants to be traded fine tear up contract and don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out. Playing him now is screwing with Poodles development get rid of him a and bring over Nikola like they should have last year.

sasaint
02-11-2019, 08:03 PM
This is what it came down to. I never bought the narrative that Gasol's contract held much intrinsic value. Some acted as if his contract would be coveted because it could help a team shed salary. In reality, teams didn't value it anywhere near as much as a regular expiring contract. Gasol's contract was viewed as an expiring but with $6M+ in dead money attached to in for the next season. If you were a team looking to salary dump someone, there were much better options that didn't include that dead money attachment.

The Spurs would have had to taken back a horrendous contract or attach an actual asset. I'm glad they didn't do go down either one of those routes.

On the nose, friend!

slick'81
02-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Were stuck with pau,patty and demar until further notice

baseline bum
02-11-2019, 08:34 PM

If we go with Tank Commander Pau the team better play him Don Nelson era Finley minutes next season until his ass breaks down and has to retire so insurance can pick up that deal.

timvp
02-11-2019, 08:46 PM
I don't understand the complaints. He's 38, a future HOFer and before his injury, was still easily (and with steady minutes, probably still is) a rotation caliber player. He'd still be that here if not for scumbag's antics and the front office making an atrocious trade. He might even still be that here if not for them stumbling into their now preferred 9 man rotation and taking off when he got injured.

Why should he silently collect his money while what remains of his career dwindles away? Even though they awarded him with an absurd contract, they screwed him in this sense.To begin the season, I thought Gasol looked pretty darn good. He was possibly the best backup center in the league coming out of the gates.

But have you seen him since his return from the stress fracture? Not to be macabre, but if Gasol were a racehorse, he'd be put down. Watching him try to move is painful.

Why should he have to pay (giving up his $6.7M guarantee for next season) for their mistakes? If he asks for his release, they shouldn't even have the gall to try to negotiate.That's not how that works. If a player wants to be bought out to go to a better situation, the player and the team negotiate to determine how much money the player needs to give up in order for it to make sense for the team.

If Gasol wants to go to a better situation but isn't willing to give up any money to make that happen, you let him sit on the end of the bench because his value is still greater than zero (even if it's for Tank Commander purposes). If he is willing to give up money (preferably the money he's due next season), you help him pack his bags for Utah, Toronto, Memphis or wherever.

timvp
02-11-2019, 08:47 PM
If we go with Tank Commander Pau the team better play him Don Nelson era Finley minutes next season until his ass breaks down and has to retire so insurance can pick up that deal.

https://i.imgur.com/xP5Eo3a.jpg

Hoops Czar
02-11-2019, 09:22 PM
People complaining that Pau wants to be traded. :lol Who cares, let him go. Aldridge wanted to be traded and I don't people dogging him. Anyways, It's not his fault. It's PATFO's fault for getting hook, line and sinkered into thinking CP3 was actually interested in joining the Spurs. The Spurs never should have allowed Pau to opt out of the last yrear of his contract in the first place. He wasn't going to touch 16M/year on the open market again.

It's also Pop's fault for thinking he had revolutionized the NBA with his culture schtick and that it wasn't Tim Duncan who was carrying his sorry ass for the better part of two decades. Theree's no culture here, just a bunch of retreads and rejects that nobody else wants/ed.

Dverde
02-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Pau denies wanting a trade or leaking the demand?

slick'81
02-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Pau denies wanting a trade or leaking the demand?

take it back pau is a great guy

hater
02-12-2019, 03:12 PM
:lmao spursfans falling for dat fake news :lmao

5 pages of comments on a made up story :lmao :lol

Ocotillo
02-12-2019, 03:21 PM
lol, when you said make him Tank Commander it went over my head for a minute and I was thinking of the old Marcus Bryant No Limit Patton alt.

diceman
02-12-2019, 03:44 PM
lol, when you said make him Tank Commander it went over my head for a minute and I was thinking of the old Marcus Bryant No Limit Patton alt.

Same thought here :downspin:

SpurPadre
02-12-2019, 03:50 PM
PATFO with a bumbling mess the way they've handled Gasol this year. smh.

TD 21
02-12-2019, 06:21 PM
To begin the season, I thought Gasol looked pretty darn good. He was possibly the best backup center in the league coming out of the gates.

But have you seen him since his return from the stress fracture? Not to be macabre, but if Gasol were a racehorse, he'd be put down. Watching him try to move is painful.

That's not how that works. If a player wants to be bought out to go to a better situation, the player and the team negotiate to determine how much money the player needs to give up in order for it to make sense for the team.

If Gasol wants to go to a better situation but isn't willing to give up any money to make that happen, you let him sit on the end of the bench because his value is still greater than zero (even if it's for Tank Commander purposes). If he is willing to give up money (preferably the money he's due next season), you help him pack his bags for Utah, Toronto, Memphis or wherever.

I have, which is why I specifically said, "before his injury, he was still easily a rotation caliber player". You make it sound as if I'm pining for him to return to the rotation.

Generally, it's not. In this specific instance, it should be. It's not unheard of for a team to pay in full, as the Knicks supposedly recently did with Kanter.

If bought out, I'd guess he's sign with the Warriors, Clippers or Lakers . . . which, along with him being Aldridge/Poeltl insurance, is probably why they'd prefer not to.

exstatic
02-12-2019, 06:27 PM
I have, which is why I specifically said, "before his injury, he was still easily a rotation caliber player". You make it sound as if I'm pining for him to return to the rotation.

Generally, it's not. In this specific instance, it should be. It's not unheard of for a team to pay in full, as the Knicks supposedly recently did with Kanter.

If bought out, I'd guess he's sign with the Warriors, Clippers or Lakers . . . which, along with him being Aldridge/Poeltl insurance, is probably why they'd prefer not to.

I don't think Kanter had money due next year. Gasol's probably still owed about $11M for the rest of this season, plus his guaranteed portion next year. The Spurs aren't going to cut him loose and pay him that much. Kanter is the exception. Standard buyout is about 50%. If he would do that, the Spurs would probably oblige.

Edit: Kanter's salary for this year was $18M. Based on games played, the Knicks have paid him about $12.3M, meaning, they owe him less than $6M on a full payout, or just over half of what the Spurs owe Gasol.

TimDunkem
02-12-2019, 06:29 PM
:lmao spursfans falling for dat fake news :lmao

5 pages of comments on a made up story :lmao :lol

Stop. It literally falls in line with everything Pau has said about being able to "contribute" yet he's rotting on the bench day in and day out.

He sucks, he wanted to play and made it known, now he is denying it.

sasaint
02-12-2019, 06:39 PM
I don't think Kanter had money due next year. Gasol's probably still owed about $11M for the rest of this season, plus his guaranteed portion next year. The Spurs aren't going to cut him loose and pay him that much. Kanter is the exception. Standard buyout is about 50%. If he would do that, the Spurs would probably oblige.

Edit: Kanter's salary for this year was $18M. Based on games played, the Knicks have paid him about $12.3M, meaning, they owe him less than $6M on a full payout, or just over half of what the Spurs owe Gasol.

Could you please explain your Edit? Kanter's salary was $18MM. Gasol's was a little less than #17MM. Kanter has been paid a little over 2/3 of his salary. Why wouldn't Gasol also have received about 2/3 of his, leaving about $5.4MM left on Gasol's salary this season?

Edit: I think I see it. You are talking about the payout of Pau's full contract: remainder of this season + next season. I was still thinking of your 50% buyout, which would be +/- $6MM or pretty similar to the remainder of Kanter's deal. But Kanter's deal ends this season.

monkeypunk
02-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Pretty obvious now that Marc knew that Pau was asking for a trade when he talked about maybe wanting to swap teams with him.

timvp
02-12-2019, 07:02 PM
I'd expect Gasol to deny the trade demand whether it happened or not. First of all, he's genuinely a good dude by all accounts so he won't want to cause waves, particularly if he's not going to agree to a buyout. Secondly, public trade demands would get him fined by the league (outlawed in the CBA). I don't know if the NBA could still fine him for admitting it retroactively but why would he risk it?

I have, which is why I specifically said, "before his injury, he was still easily a rotation caliber player".

You also threw this in: "and with steady minutes, probably still is a rotation caliber player"

Generally, it's not. In this specific instance, it should be. It's not unheard of for a team to pay in full, as the Knicks supposedly recently did with Kanter.Link? That's not what I heard about Kanter.

If bought out, I'd guess he's sign with the Warriors, Clippers or Lakers . . . which, along with him being Aldridge/Poeltl insurance, is probably why they'd prefer not to.If he's willing to give up that money next year, they'd buy him out. But he likely won't because he can't get that money back on the open market ... so Gasol will be here for the rest of the season, most likely.

TD 21
02-12-2019, 07:30 PM
You also threw this in: "and with steady minutes, probably still is a rotation caliber player"

Yeah and? That didn't mean he should be here, just that this is probably (no way to tell in scattered spot minutes whether the foot injury permanently did him in) not a player who's finished.

Link? That's not what I heard about Kanter.

I don't have one, but I know I heard it.

If he's willing to give up that money next year, they'd buy him out. But he likely won't because he can't get that money back on the open market ... so Gasol will be here for the rest of the season, most likely.

He shouldn't have to. Personally, I'd wait until the off season (for the 2 reasons previously mentioned), but if they're willing to do it now, then they should have the decency to pay him in full.

Besides, the last thing this image conscious (paranoid?) organization needs, is another disgruntled prominent player. When they end this, it should be on as good of terms as possible.

Dverde
02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Gasol, via Michael C. Wright of ESPN (http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41055340-4):

“What’s the source? What’s the validity of that story? I don’t know. I didn’t request to be traded. I don’t want to comment on it because it is what it is. I think people understand or can figure out my situation on the team is not what was expected from me, and my only wish and desire is to be able to contribute to the team, and be able to be on the floor and do what I’m supposed to do, and do what I signed here to do, and kind of live up to what I’m paid for. That’s all. I’m waiting and hoping that that will happen. I’m staying positive. But don’t believe everything that is out there. Kind of interesting how that was put out there. But people go with it because it makes sense. Let’s point the finger at Pau. Maybe we should point the finger somewhere else, and ask other questions and ask other people. When you’re here in the spotlight, and you get asked questions and put in that position, it comes with the territory. I’m staying positive. I love this game, love what I do, and work hard to be able to do what I do. And I want to continue to do it. I know I might not be in my prime, but I feel I still can contribute at a very high level, and be an important and positive impact for my team, and make my team better. There’s a lot of rumors, a lot of stories. It didn’t come from me, right? So ask whoever that source or that outlet that found that information. Go ask them. I just think that’s fair. Ask management, right? Players are put in these positions, and I feel like I just want to do what I’m supposed to do, what I can do and what I’m paid to do.”

TimDunkem
02-12-2019, 10:25 PM
That sure is a lot of words over a "fake news" story, Pau.

BackHome
02-12-2019, 11:59 PM
Me Think You Do Protest To Much Paul

superbigtime
02-13-2019, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't want to argue with Pau much. He is defensive and clearly not happy with his status and P.T. He can't complain about the salary though.

duncan2k5
02-13-2019, 07:58 PM
He definitely asked for a trade... Lol... This is damage control

Dverde
02-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Let’s be honest, Newphew broke up with you, not the other way around. I think we were fortunate to do a trade. He could have given Spurs the silent treatment and walked when his contract was done. He really exposed himself as an asshat. I don’t want him on my team anymore.

r0drig0lac
02-14-2019, 04:56 AM
He definitely asked for a trade... Lol... This is damage control

this

Ozballer
02-14-2019, 06:18 AM
Massive "buy back into it" job by Gasol after not finding any suitors. In Spain he would be called a Pesetero (Money chaser)

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Who cares quite honestly. I think he's somewhat delusional on his current abilities, kind of like Parker was the last couple of years. His thinking he can do more than he can probably hurts the team. If he said, "Pop, play me for 3 minute stints, and in that time I'm going to ball out, knowing I'll be gassed and done for the night, but in that time I'm leaving it all on the floor." That would be better than him thinking he can still contribute like he used to and feeling like he should be a regular rotation player.

Mentor, and bust it when you're out there. Raise your hand when you run out of juice and get your ass back on the bench. That should be his mantra. He could still do some good for the team that way.

Coach X
02-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Who cares quite honestly. I think he's somewhat delusional on his current abilities, kind of like Parker was the last couple of years. His thinking he can do more than he can probably hurts the team. If he said, "Pop, play me for 3 minute stints, and in that time I'm going to ball out, knowing I'll be gassed and done for the night, but in that time I'm leaving it all on the floor." That would be better than him thinking he can still contribute like he used to and feeling like he should be a regular rotation player.

Mentor, and bust it when you're out there. Raise your hand when you run out of juice and get your ass back on the bench. That should be his mantra. He could still do some good for the team that way.
I couldn't agree more.

Superstars turn old sooner or later. Usually, they take more time than the rest of the world realizing it. As a hall-of-fame caliber player, not everybody can accept that new status.

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili are so special. 5th is their favourite championship. Fair reward.