PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Disappointment of this season is?

alpha_HaZE
02-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Mine is all the injuries we had thus far. If you think about it, we haven't been healthy for most of Pop's career, from Timmy, to Manu, to Kawhi.

This past summer, when it become clear that we traded defence for offence, I was hopeful that at least we have a healthy team. We replaced older and injury prone players for younger and durable ones. Say what you want about DeMar, but in the past years he has been one of the most durabe player in this league. Yet, even before the season started, DJ, White, Lonnie were all injured :( On top of it, Rudy, and DeMar missed significant time due to injuries and it kind of sucks, :ihit With a healthy squad, we are easily top4 seat in the west.

I guess that's how sports goes, injuries is one of those things one can't control.

GAustex
02-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Mine is all the injuries we had thus far. If you think about it, we haven't been healthy for most of Pop's career, from Timmy, to Manu, to Kawhi.

This past summer, when it become clear that we traded defence for offence, I was hopeful that at least we have a healthy team. We replaced older and injury prone players for younger and durable ones. Say what you want about DeMar, but in the past years he has been one of the most durabe player in this league. Yet, even before the season started, DJ, White, Lonnie were all injured :( On top of it, Rudy, and DeMar missed significant time due to injuries and it kind of sucks, :ihit With a healthy squad, we are easily top4 seat in the west.

I guess that's how sports goes, injuries is one of those things one can't control.
The Spanish llama was hurt too

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2019, 06:16 PM
the roster

alpha_HaZE
02-10-2019, 06:16 PM

He was actually playing well before that injury. In which case, we would have traded him by now.

CGD
02-10-2019, 06:37 PM
That we’ve been robbed of a good development year from Murray and even White with injuries. These are the transition years and the hope is LMA, Gay, and DDR keep the fanchise afloat while the young guys come up before eventually moving on. Sad to see that disrupted.

Relatedly annoying to not see Purtl get more run with all the Pau drama.

Dennis the Menace
02-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Biggest disappointment? That RC and Pop are still ruining this organization... err wait, I mean “running”.

Darius Bieber
02-10-2019, 06:38 PM
The team and front office.

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Not getting Tatum for Leonard.

Mikeanaro
02-10-2019, 06:41 PM
:lmao

Dennis the Menace
02-10-2019, 06:41 PM
RC and Pop are making decisions that will benefit their legacy and swan song. If they actually had the best interests of the Spurs ORGANIZATION at the forefront of everything, they would’ve hit reset by trading for picks and young assets. We aren’t going to win a championship by “staying afloat”

baseline bum
02-10-2019, 06:44 PM
RC and Pop are making decisions that will benefit their legacy and swan song. If they actually had the best interests of the Spurs ORGANIZATION at the forefront of everything, they would’ve hit reset by trading for picks and young assets. We aren’t going to win a championship by “staying afloat”

I preferred tanking too but maybe ownership wasn't on board. Easier for a large market Sixers team to do it than a small market Spurs team that didn't have amazing attendance even when they were title contenders.

Mikeanaro
02-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Shitty defense, lots of bad players expecting LMA to pull 40 ever night.
Every game is a torture, if Spurs win is by 2 points.
DeFrozen proving he is a turd, he had a great start so there is no reason to shoot 30% in 30 shots when he isnt even a 3 point guy.
Lots of turnovers & bad passes.
Free throws shooting torture, and it happens in every close game (most of them).
Pop calling timeouts too late, like the other night vs Warriors.
Gaslol getting minutes, he Spur fo life.
And other stuff.

dbestpro
02-10-2019, 07:14 PM
No true small forward.

Dex
02-10-2019, 07:24 PM
DoRozan going into playoff mode by January.

MultiTroll
02-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Murray being hurt
Patty Mills being declared "the leader" by CIA Lost It. Please retire after Game 5 2014. (your final riding of Tims coatails.)
Gasol continuing to extort money.
Forbes continued huge minutes (hey he's trying, just a stupid signing)

KDKSpurs24
02-10-2019, 07:31 PM
No true small forward.

TDomination
02-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Going into this year I was legit excited seeing the young guys finally play. Especially seeing Murray and white develop more and then lo and behold they both get hurt. Injuries definitely has been the most frustrating thing of this year.

Seeing how we have played with white, I agree we would easily be top 4 seed with a healthy squad. But injuries are part of the game. Let's just hope next year is better.

ceperez
02-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Lack of bold moves to sign and develop available players (i.e. gleague, undrafted players, buyout players, two way contract etc).

We got spots on the team held by aging players that have no long term future in this team.

Disappointed that our stars don't know how to pass the ball.

Hoops Czar
02-10-2019, 07:35 PM
The offseason

MaNu4Tres
02-10-2019, 07:40 PM
The return for Kawhi.

Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie getting injured.

The team doing just good enough for Pop and RC to not shop DeMar this summer, like they should.

offset formation
02-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Biggest disappointment? That RC and Pop are still ruining this organization... err wait, I mean “running”.

Uncle Dennis?

Maddog
02-10-2019, 07:51 PM
I preferred tanking too but maybe ownership wasn't on board. Easier for a large market Sixers team to do it than a small market Spurs team that didn't have amazing attendance even when they were title contenders.

I think there is more to this than most realize. With the currently constructed GSW, the odds are long that you are going to get past them. Despite this, the spurs with almost no resources constructed a team that had an outside chance of getting by them. All this was torpedoed by a top 5 player with a still undiagnosed injury and a desire to play elsewhere.

I was on the fence, but leaned towards rebuilding. Having seen DDR play even at his best, I now think that was the best option. That said, there are a lot of factors we don't know. First and foremost-what was really on the table for the Nephew. I'm beginning to get the impression, that there wasn't that substantial offers out there. Was Boston going to give up Tatum and picks for a guy with a possible degenerative condition and might flee in a year? I think they rolled the dice with DDR thinking they could improve his game/fit.

Picks are great- but look at Philadelphia. A lot of those picks flamed out, or they ended up with noting. Look at GSW draft history, before they hit three good picks. They where in the lottery for almost a decade.

I guess all said and done, the injuries are the most disappointing thing this season.

Leetonidas
02-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Season has been not unexpected based on our roster. Imo the biggest disappointment by far is Murray tearing his acl and missing the entire year.

SupremeGuy
02-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Walker has been an astounding bust. Granted, as soon as he opened his mouth, most of us saw it coming. What a wasted pick.

ZeusWillJudge
02-10-2019, 08:51 PM
The entire league being turned into an 82-game version of the All Star Game.

TheGreatYacht
02-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Bertans when he starts.

daslicer
02-10-2019, 09:00 PM
I would say the injuries have been the biggest disappointment. Just even recently with White it looked like the Spurs were turning the corner and were starting to resemble a decent team. Then he suddenly gets hurt again and the Spurs look terrible again. This teams biggest weakness is perimeter defense. The only two guys who good at defending the perimeter are Gay and White. So when either gets hurt the Spurs feel their loss. I would say the games are torture to watch when those guys are not playing because it comes down to hoping the other team will miss a shot since the spurs are not capable of getting defensive stops.

BlackAndWhite
02-10-2019, 09:05 PM
Injuries but the good news is that we'll get more players this summer.

dbestpro
02-10-2019, 09:14 PM

This by far is the best reply.

sasaint
02-10-2019, 09:15 PM
The return for Kawhi.

Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie getting injured.

The team doing just good enough for Pop and RC to not shop DeMar this summer, like they should.

Bingo. Pop should have retired immediately after last season and turned the future of the team over to the next regime at that critical juncture. Pop hasn't gotten over himself after 20 years.

sasaint
02-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Yep. i haven't been 1/4 as attentive to the NBA this season. Completely sacrificed what was left of the sport to pursue the coin of casual fans who think Harden and Westbrook are great players.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Injuries to our 3 youngest players.

Kawhi not telling his uncle to fuck off and play for us instead of forcing a trade.

timtonymanu
02-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Settling for a low playoff seed, 1st round exit when they should be tanking.

Demar predictably being a negative impact but still being defended by PATFO and some Spurs fans on here

Our young players being injury prone already

MaNu4Tres
02-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Around the draft, Trade DeMar to Charlotte for Marvin Williams expiring, Tony Parker, and two 1st rounders.

Waive Tony before 7/3. Let him retire here this summer.

K...
02-10-2019, 10:29 PM
lebron going west

SouthTexasRancher
02-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Pop still in bicycle mode while half the league is in Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, Bugatti Veyron Super Sport and a few teams like the Golden State Warriors, Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors are in the 420 mph Dodge Tomahawk mode.

PATFO have been dismal failures at drafting the past few seasons. RC needs to put the bottle down and Pop needs to decide between basketball or politics. Right now he stinks at both. Pop has become way too angry to deal with today's players. The few post game interviews I get to see he comes across as a man with an IQ of 50. I'm not a fan of reporters of any kind but, the poor guys and gals in the interview room get treated like they have the plague. All they are doing is their job and trying to make a living for their family so they can put a roof over their heads, feed their kids and see to it those kids get a good and decent education. His schtick is old.....very, very old. Pop seriously needs to get over himself. He should either devote all the energy he has left (at 70 not as much as at 50 or 60) to getting the Spurs back into the championship hunt or retire (to the front office or his winery or politics) and let a younger coach more in tune with today's players coach the Spurs. JMHO and not open for discussion....just venting but, serious! HaHa. :ihit :toast

spurs10
02-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Injuries. I think we split the last four with White and Gay being healthy.

Mikeanaro
02-10-2019, 11:31 PM
Maybe he can get Kap and save the season.

superbigtime
02-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Injuries. Defense. Derozan. Just the mediocrity and inconsistency.

Keepin' it real
02-10-2019, 11:54 PM
That more national talking heads refuse to criticize the weak beta mentality of today's NBA players for wanting to "team together" a.k.a. take the easy way out instead of fighting like men to get to the top.

Oh, and also that the league had been LETTING this crap happen. Thank you Pelicans for taking a stand. The Spurs should have done the same with Leanord. They might have been better off in the long run.

monty4329
02-11-2019, 03:38 AM

monty4329
02-11-2019, 03:43 AM
Self-inflicted: DDR total bust.
Bad luck: Murray injury

Very worrisome: Pau misdiagnosis on the broken foot (how the f. can you miss that?). Danny Green comments made me thinking, and Pau misdiagnosis gave even more thoughts: Nephew maybe was right. Is the medical staff laying too many smelly ones? Will FAs be afraid of an IT career-killing situation?

Fireball
02-11-2019, 03:55 AM
it all started with Murray's injury ... with him at the perimeter and an engaged Aldridge in the middle an average-to-good defense would have been achievable ...

Poolboy5623
02-11-2019, 10:40 AM
...for me, it's the fact that this is the new reality for the Spurs.

Spurs Homer
02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
That the piece of shit Traitor in Chief is not in prison yet -

oh wait -

wrong forum!

Proxy
02-11-2019, 03:42 PM
don't see how we can judge the team being a total failure in it's construction when so many players have been injured. Not like any team was ever winning over GS. Need perimeter defense and a SF, no shit. Team was playing fine when people were healthy

horseshue
02-11-2019, 03:49 PM
DDR mental health issues.

TD 21
02-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Around the draft, Trade DeMar to Charlotte for Marvin Williams expiring, Tony Parker, and two 1st rounders.

Waive Tony before 7/3. Let him retire here this summer.

You've seen the light on the most flawed "star" in the league . . .

I know they're desperate for virtually any type of name and can't attract one on their own volition, but I can't imagine the Hornets being willing to add that much salary to their already bloated payroll or giving up 2 1sts.

I realize Gasol is older and plays a more saturated position, but the proposed trade for him was supposedly Biyombo, Kidd-Gilchrist and a protected 1st (fell through due to haggling on protection).

They'd probably lessen the protection for DeRozan and give up a minor asset, but that wouldn't be enough to make it worth the Spurs while.

MaNu4Tres
02-11-2019, 05:58 PM
You've seen the light on the most flawed "star" in the league . . .

I know they're desperate for virtually any type of name and can't attract one on their own volition, but I can't imagine the Hornets being willing to add that much salary to their already bloated payroll or giving up 2 1sts.

I realize Gasol is older and plays a more saturated position, but the proposed trade for him was supposedly Biyombo, Kidd-Gilchrist and a protected 1st (fell through due to haggling on protection).

They'd probably lessen the protection for DeRozan and give up a minor asset, but that wouldn't be enough to make it worth the Spurs while.

DeMar for Batum, two or three 1sts.

Just get it done.

TD 21
02-11-2019, 06:01 PM
DeMar for Batum, two or three 1sts.

Just get it done.

I don't know about 3, but I'd imagine they'd definitely do 2, with maybe a minor asset.

I still don't think the Spurs do it though. Had Murray and to a lesser extent White and Walker been healthy and they had a sense that they could take the perimeter reigns offensively while remaining competitive, maybe.

That shouldn't factor into to the equation, but you know how they are.

vander
02-11-2019, 06:12 PM
injuries and DDR's lack of 3s and D, I thought he was improving his 3 point shot last year, and now it's worse than ever. and his lack of defensive effort is :bang

Dex
02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
injuries and DDR's lack of 3s and D, I thought he was improving his 3 point shot last year, and now it's worse than ever. and his lack of defensive effort is :bang

Not even his lack of effort, but just his overall attitude.

He's come down with Forbes Syndrome. If he starts missing shots or isn't getting fouls, he just starts pouting and playing like he doesn't give a fuck.

Bryn has made significant strides in that department, to the point that DeMar actually makes him look composed out there.

acoelho1
02-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Murray’s injury. Nothing is even close.

KDKSpurs24
02-11-2019, 07:42 PM
Other than having no true small forward.. this is definitely my biggest disappointment. I was looking forward to seeing his improvement. He was the player I was most excited about and was leaning towards him being my favorite player on the team. Need his vocal leadership as well. He would have helped pushed these guys to a few more wins by making sure they weren’t being soft.

timvp
02-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Agree. The Spurs built their defense around Murray, with White taking the bench defensive duties. It was a risk but it might have worked. Murray's injury not only derailed this year's defense, the Spurs have to go into next season not knowing if they have to spend the summer completely retooling their defensive pieces or if Murray alone is capable of carrying the Spurs into a better than league average finish in that category.

I know some Spurs fans scoff at the idea of a point guard being able to be a defensive foundation but it makes sense in this run-and-gun era. Look at the L:lolkers, their defense has fallen off a cliff since Lonzo got hurt (IIRC, they're something like 6th defensively with Lonzo and 29th without him). And Murray >>>> Lonzo defensively.

tmtcsc
02-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Coach Pop has been the biggest disappointment. He's been way too casual and lenient when players don't bring effort every night.

urunobili
02-11-2019, 10:39 PM
Not tanking for Zion

YGWHI
02-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Not tanking for Zion"Zion Williamson's plan is to treat any draft destination as a short-term stop, unless it's the Lakers," sources tell KlutchSPN. He would plan to move to the Lakers as a free agent in 2023.

DPG21920
02-12-2019, 12:29 AM
Agree. The Spurs built their defense around Murray, with White taking the bench defensive duties. It was a risk but it might have worked. Murray's injury not only derailed this year's defense, the Spurs have to go into next season not knowing if they have to spend the summer completely retooling their defensive pieces or if Murray alone is capable of carrying the Spurs into a better than league average finish in that category.

I know some Spurs fans scoff at the idea of a point guard being able to be a defensive foundation but it makes sense in this run-and-gun era. Look at the L:lolkers, their defense has fallen off a cliff since Lonzo got hurt (IIRC, they're something like 6th defensively with Lonzo and 29th without him). And Murray >>>> Lonzo defensively.

Do you not think that it’s a fools errand to place the entire pressure of the defense on Murray/White? I mean, the team should be built better. Why have Mills/Forbes/Beli/DeRozan - all defensive liabilities when you don’t have to? That seems unfair to have the higher paid guys like Mills/Beli/DeRozan not be at all responsible for defense.

MaNu4Tres
02-12-2019, 12:49 AM
Do you not think that it’s a fools errand to place the entire pressure of the defense on Murray/White? I mean, the team should be built better. Why have Mills/Forbes/Beli/DeRozan - all defensive liabilities when you don’t have to? That seems unfair to have the higher paid guys like Mills/Beli/DeRozan not be at all responsible for defense.

It is foolish to put everything on Dejounte & Derrick defensively.

SA needs to find a way to replace two of the DeMar, Belinelli, Mills, Forbes gang with more suitable defenders that can shoot.

That may be Lonnie, and one or two of the draft picks coming up. If so, trade away two of DeMar, Belinelli, Forbes, Mills.

My vote is DeMar and Belinelli or Patty.

DPG21920
02-12-2019, 12:58 AM
It is foolish to put everything on Dejounte & Derrick defensively.

SA needs to find a way to replace two of the DeMar, Belinelli, Mills, Forbes gang with more suitable defenders that can shoot.

That may be Lonnie, and one or two of the draft pucks coming up. If so, trade away two of DeMar, Belinelli, Forbes, Mills.

My vote is DeMar and Belinelli or Patty.

I agree overall; I am fine keeping DeRozan especially if his value is shot and trading either Beli or Patty (or both). But as great as Murray/White may be I really hope SAs plan is not to put the weight of everything on them. Especially seeing how the defense has tanked with no White.

Get a few more plus defenders, get more athletic and I am fine still going at it with LMA/Derozan being the big money guys with really solid versatile guys around them.

MaNu4Tres
02-12-2019, 01:04 AM
I agree overall; I am fine keeping DeRozan especially if his value is shot and trading either Beli or Patty (or both). But as great as Murray/White may be I really hope SAs plan is not to put the weight of everything on them. Especially seeing how the defense has tanked with no White.

Get a few more plus defenders, get more athletic and I am fine still going at it with LMA/Derozan being the big money guys with really solid versatile guys around them.

Give me Batum and 2 1sts for DeMar and that team wins more games the next 2-3 yrs than the one with DeMar.

DPG21920
02-12-2019, 01:08 AM
Give me Batum and 2 1sts for DeMar and that team wins more games the next 2-3 yrs than the one with DeMar.

I’m fine trading DeRozan - I’m just saying that unless you can get positive value (2 firsts would be great) then I am still fine building around him. He’s not bad, hes just bad for the team as currently constructed.

spursistan
02-12-2019, 01:15 AM
The biggest disappointment for me, not for this year, but on the whole over last 3-4 years, is the perception that our organization/FO has gotten dumber just as the rest of the league has gotten more wise with stuff like contracts/roster construction/ style of play..

It's been three consecutive off-seasons of "setting ourselves back". You just can't go on such run as small market team even if you're compromised by external factors.....