PDA

View Full Version : DeMar Derozan says okay with star players demanding trades

MoSpur02
02-11-2019, 08:10 AM
https://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-DeMar-DeRozan-sides-with-star-players-13605773.php

Capt Bringdown
02-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Does the league want parity or super-teams?

UncleDennis
02-11-2019, 09:01 AM

I feel like the league likes parity, but the league loves the casuals more and the casuals love them some super teams and merch so they want super teams.

timtonymanu
02-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Maybe he can demand his way out of San Antonio :tu

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2019, 09:26 AM
i hope he demands a trade

then watch spurms fo trade him for a bag of condoms with wholes in it

John B
02-11-2019, 09:38 AM
I’m not against players wanting to be traded especially if their team is not making efforts to improve, just not to make any excuses like Kawhi did, and allow their team to explore the best possible trade. Just the same, I view star players like Durant as weak wanting to join a depending champion, or Davis in cahoots with other players to form super team. There’s nothing wrong with it, but they’re weak and it loses that persistence to be better, building from within. I have more respect with players like MJ, Duncan, Kobe, Dirk who stayed loyal with their team and able to win. They’re mark of true champions. I guess the millennial values change loyalty. I doubt we’ll ever see players staying with one team, instead hopping to other jobs frequently. I hope it changes Spurs view rewarding loyalty contracts especially like Gasol.

Spurs Homer
02-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Let them do what they want - just don't expect historic rivalries, competitive playoff games -

epic battles and every team having a legit shot at a title.

Do expect prima donnas rushing to be at the side of superstars, superstar prima donnas faking injuries, tiny injuries used as leverage over franchises to position themselves to be with their boyfriend prima donna-teams -etc...

Chomag
02-11-2019, 10:03 AM
I do understand this when a star player is wasting his prime when the franchise he is in can't or won't get their act together year after year.

Dverde
02-11-2019, 10:09 AM
The league should ban trade requests. Make player opt outs mandatory every two years in contracts.

vy65
02-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Homeboy doesn’t appear to understand the fact that he has a contract with the club.

Lol 30 days notice.

Dverde
02-11-2019, 10:18 AM
In the real world, you can get fired if you suck at your job. No mention of that.

ZeusWillJudge
02-11-2019, 10:21 AM
"A normal person at a job, if they don't want to work at that job any more, they can easily put in their 30-day notice and go elsewhere if it's best for them," he said. "I don't see why we shouldn't be able to have that same right."

If you want to leave your basketball job to go work for WalMart, Demarr, have at it. Nobody is stopping you.

When a normal person breaks a contract, they get their asses kicked financially. When these guys under contract demand trades, they should be allowed to go. But they should have to repay the team they are leaving half of their current contract. Their team should get a credit for that same amount added to their cap space, and the team they go to should get a reduction to their cap space for the same amount. Then everyone would understand the true cost, and pay their fair share.

So Kawhi would have had to pay the Spurs $9.4M, for breaking his contract.
The Raptors would have lost an additional $9.4M of cap space, to reflect the real value of what they received vs. what they sent out.
The Spurs would have received Kawhi's $9.4M plus an additional $9.4M of cap space, to reflect what they really lost and help them bring in additional talent to compensate.

Lots of "normal people" continue to work jobs that they don't love, because they don't want to take a pay cut. Lots of "normal people" finish out contracts that they wish they hadn't made, because they don't want to get their asses kicked financially for breaking it. I think treating these guys more like "normal people" is a great idea.

dbestpro
02-11-2019, 10:28 AM
"A normal person at a job, if they don't want to work at that job any more, they can easily put in their 30-day notice and go elsewhere if it's best for them," he said. "I don't see why we shouldn't be able to have that same right."

If you want to leave your basketball job to go work for WalMart, Demarr, have at it. Nobody is stopping you.

When a normal person breaks a contract, they get their asses kicked financially. When these guys under contract demand trades, they should be allowed to go. But they should have to repay the team they are leaving half of their current contract. Their team should get a credit for that same amount added to their cap space, and the team they go to should get a reduction to their cap space for the same amount. Then everyone would understand the true cost, and pay their fair share.

The Raptors would have lost an additional $9.4M of cap space, to reflect the real value of what they received vs. what they sent out.
The Spurs would have received Kawhi's $9.4M plus an additional $9.4M of cap space, to reflect what they really lost and help them bring in additional talent to compensate.

Lots of "normal people" continue to work jobs that they don't love, because they don't want to take a pay cut. Lots of "normal people" finish out contracts that they wish they hadn't made, because they don't want to get their asses kicked financially for breaking it. I think treating these guys more like "normal people" is a great idea.

Care salesmen get paid on the cars they sell. Great idea to treat them like car salesmen. If you don't produce, you don't get paid.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2019, 10:28 AM
White people say the silliest shit in regards to this topic:lol

Players can ask for trades, they've been doing it for 40 years..their team can decide not to trade them..asking for a trade isn't banned in their contracts..

NASpurs
02-11-2019, 10:30 AM
That Compton education is showing.

DPG21920
02-11-2019, 10:31 AM
^^They aren't normal people:lol

Nobody is paying to watch you at your job, my guy..

True - so why do these dudes (I know the answer) keep comparing themselves to average joes?

I wish I could get into altercations with my teammates (co-workers) and not get fired. I wish I could put in my 30-day notice and still get my salary guaranteed for 2 years even if I leave the company or even if I just decide to stop working :lol

They aren’t normal and these privileged dudes complaining like they are Joe Everyman is what loses players support.

I agree they should be free to move; just dont be colluding/tampering clowns about it.

cd98
02-11-2019, 10:31 AM
The problem is most of the world does not operate under contract work. Most people are at-will employees so they can come and go as they please. In sports, you sign guaranteed contracts. The benefit is you get money, but you have to give something up to get the money, which is the commitment to play for a team. The NBA players want to act like they are at-will employees like most people when they are not. I have seen, for example, doctors that contract to work in small towns. If they sign those contracts, they have to comply with the terms and live in the little county until the contract is up or they have to face penalties for leaving to work in a more desirable city. NBA players want the ability to leave and play where they want and they want the money. You can't have it both ways in the real world. These guys are used to being told what they want to hear so they don't live in reality. If they want the opportunity to play wherever they want, then they need to start signing one year deals and live with the consequences of not have guaranteed money that binds them to a team for multiple years.

acoelho1
02-11-2019, 10:34 AM
I think players should have the freedom to go wherever they want and I oppose any union or collective bargaining agreement that restricts compensation and the free market system. However, I do feel all this player movement is hurting the league in my view. For example, I didn't purchase the team pass this year specifically because of the Kawhi fiasco. They say the NBA is a players league but it's really a fan's league, just like every other sport. Without the fans, there would be no multi-million dollar contracts or endorsement deals. There doesn't seem to be an awareness by the players that they are accountable to us, the paying fans and they need to take greater care when deciding to switch cities.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2019, 10:36 AM

NBA Champions by era:

80s- 4
90s- 3(maybe 2 if Jordan hadn't been forced out of the league)
2000s- 5
2010s- 5

There's been just as parity as ever in a league that isn't built for it:lol

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2019, 10:37 AM
True - so why do these dudes (I know the answer) keep comparing themselves to average joes?

I wish I could get into altercations with my teammates (co-workers) and not get fired. I wish I could put in my 30-day notice and still get my salary guaranteed for 2 years even if I leave the company or even if I just decide to stop working :lol

They aren’t normal and these privileged dudes complaining like they are Joe Everyman is what loses players support.

I agree they should be free to move; just dont be colluding/tampering clowns about it.

You're surprised that athletes in their 20s and early 30s that are the best in the world at a job that pays them millions have egos?:lol of course they're going to lack some self-awareness, but the difference is that they can get away with this and nobody can do a thing about it since they're much more valuable at their jobs than any of us are..

Also, the collusion argument is irrelevant to me..everybody in the NBA is aware of what's going on, any players or front office people can speak to each other behind the scenes, nobody can stop it..

DPG21920
02-11-2019, 10:39 AM
You're surprised that athletes in their 20s and early 30s that are the best in the world at a job that pays them millions have egos?:lol

Not at all - Im surprised they are not more self aware and better at marketing themselves to fans to win support. This is a terrible way to go about it.

UZER
02-11-2019, 10:40 AM
DeMar is courageous.

:pop:

Ginobilly
02-11-2019, 10:41 AM
I don't think anybody has a problem with players requesting trades. What everybody has a problem is players quitting on their team with years of contract yet to still be played and asking to be traded because of loosing, don't like the city, faking injuries to accomplish said goal, refusing to play unless they are traded to specific destination, etc.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Anthony Davis's situation isn't a big deal IMO..he asked for a trade, they didn't trade him, it's all good..as long as he's still playing for them, he's earning his contract..he's still playing hard, clearly..

The collusion shit is irrelevant..you don't think Rich Paul could make it clear to other teams that Davis won't sign an extension there? It wouldn't be difficult at all:lol

Kawhi was different..I don't think a player should get paid if he refuses to play..

Ginobilly
02-11-2019, 10:48 AM
If players don't want to be in those situations that i described in my above post, then don't sign multiple year deals! If you know that your not going to like san antonio due its shitty clubs and nitelife, then it would make sense not sign here longterm. But these guys love guaranteed money like everybody else and trick teams into believing that they really like the team and city. Like a golddigging hoe that tricks an athlete into believing that she loves him but is already planning her exit strategy as soon as she marries him to take him for half of everything.

CGD
02-11-2019, 10:55 AM
I feel like the league likes parity, but the league loves the casuals more and the casuals love them some super teams and merch so they want super teams.

The league also loves that the transfer markets (Feb, March buyout, June draft, July free agency) have exploded with interested in the past few years. Add the intrigue around summer league to that too.

Heard this somewhere and it was so true: it was the week of the super bowl and all the sports media buzz was about AD destinations.

look_at_g_shred
02-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Said it a week too late

GreekSpursfan
02-11-2019, 11:09 AM
What does Derozan have to do with star players, he was an average player that with hard work had a few good years with the Raptors where his fg% was never above 50% and about 40% in the playoffs and now back to being average again and in the process of sucking again he's making us more depressed than he is.

ceperez
02-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Lets quit complaining about Derozan.

The Raptors are going to be without Leonard next season and have Green as a free agent.

Meanwhile the Spurs have Derozan and Poetl locked up and have a first round pick at #28

bic50
02-11-2019, 11:23 AM
I’m not against players wanting to be traded especially if their team is not making efforts to improve, just not to make any excuses like Kawhi did, and allow their team to explore the best possible trade. Just the same, I view star players like Durant as weak wanting to join a depending champion, or Davis in cahoots with other players to form super team. There’s nothing wrong with it, but they’re weak and it loses that persistence to be better, building from within. I have more respect with players like MJ, Duncan, Kobe, Dirk who stayed loyal with their team and able to win. They’re mark of true champions. I guess the millennial values change loyalty. I doubt we’ll ever see players staying with one team, instead hopping to other jobs frequently. I hope it changes Spurs view rewarding loyalty contracts especially like Gasol.
Demar was loyal and wanted to stay with the raptors and look what happened. Both players and teams have to look out for themselves. Demar learned the hard way and the whole ordeal has probably changed him.

bic50
02-11-2019, 11:25 AM

The Raptors are going to be without Leonard next season and have Green as a free agent.

Meanwhile the Spurs have Derozan and Poetl locked up and have a first round pick at #28
Why does it matter what happens to the raptors?

dbreiden83080
02-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Good thing he is not a Star Player..

dbreiden83080
02-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Leonard being gone long term is good for the Spurs. Why drag out the inevitable with him? He is not that Guy? Had he stayed with the Spurs and signed that mega deal with the team, it would be more of the same with him. 20 plus games a season of him not playing and being soft. Maybe the Spurs win a round in the playoffs, but no finals and no titles. Cut it all down and rebuild through the draft the next few years..

GAustex
02-11-2019, 12:15 PM

That is funny

superbigtime
02-11-2019, 12:25 PM
this guy grows less likeable daily

Strategic
02-11-2019, 12:26 PM
This might put him with the 90 percentile of players.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-11-2019, 12:44 PM
If only he was ok with star players actually playing defense...

ceperez
02-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Why does it matter what happens to the raptors?

What it means is that if Spurs kept Leonard, we would also be left with nothing much.

ZeusWillJudge
02-11-2019, 01:09 PM
White people say the silliest shit in regards to this topic:lol

Players can ask for trades, they've been doing it for 40 years..their team can decide not to trade them..asking for a trade isn't banned in their contracts..

Your race schtick won't work here. The Greeks were honoring contracts over a thousand years before your ancestors first allowed white Europeans to carry them out of Africa. I was there.

It's so simple even you can understand: when you make an agreement and get paid money, you do what you promised or you pay the money back.

For not paying attention in school.
For creating the Angry Black Man schtick as a cover for weak basketball takes.
And for thinking that Greeks are white.

You have been judged and found unworthy.

spurs10
02-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Also DeMar is still stinging that he was traded without being consulted, so he doesn't feel that players can't ask to be moved when they feel like it. Of course a player wanting more PT is quite different than a star player who has another year on their contract. That ship has longed sailed, but I also thought the Spurs were going to make #2 play regardless of his demands. Then again I didn't have to be around him and all that drama gets old fast.

FkLA
02-11-2019, 01:37 PM
There's ways to go about it. Ideally, you play out your contract if you are considering resigning. If you're 100% leaving, give your team a heads up the final year so they can get some kind of return on their investment.

I don't think anyone (other than the salty fans of the team that the star is leaving) would have a problem if that's how shit was handled. KD for example, there was nothing wrong with him actually leaving it's where he left to that was super weak.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Your race schtick won't work here. The Greeks were honoring contracts over a thousand years before your ancestors first allowed white Europeans to carry them out of Africa. I was there.

It's so simple even you can understand: when you make an agreement and get paid money, you do what you promised or you pay the money back.

For not paying attention in school.
For creating the Angry Black Man schtick as a cover for weak basketball takes.
And for thinking that Greeks are white.

You have been judged and found unworthy.

Just a bunch of gibberish behind a terrible gimmick:lol

Davis is playing out his contract, he just played both games this weekend..he informed his team that he wants to leave, which he's entitled to do, his contract doesn't state otherwise..they're entitled to say no, which they did..ultimately, they will trade him(probably during the offseason) and will receive assets, which is better than losing him for nothing, which would be the case the following summer..

Simple as that..I know you'd rather have a white man controlling their every move, it infuriates you to see Black players calling their own shots(you probably miss the Sambo ball of the 90s), but times have changed..I don't give a shit about the gay-ass ancient Greeks:lol

baseline bum
02-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Care salesmen get paid on the cars they sell. Great idea to treat them like car salesmen. If you don't produce, you don't get paid.

Car salesmen aren't risking injury by doing their job.

weeks
02-11-2019, 04:20 PM

HH obv isn't black, that's just schtick

ZeusWillJudge
02-11-2019, 04:21 PM
There's ways to go about it. Ideally, you play out your contract if you are considering resigning. If you're 100% leaving, give your team a heads up the final year so they can get some kind of return on their investment.

I don't think anyone (other than the salty fans of the team that the star is leaving) would have a problem if that's how shit was handled. KD for example, there was nothing wrong with him actually leaving it's where he left to that was super weak.

Exactly. And handle it privately. Leaving isn't the problem. But let your team get fair value out of their investment. Public demands, announcing that you'll only consider a couple of teams, faking an injury? That's not a business negotiation, it's a shakedown. At the very least, the league should yank the player's Bird rights

Nobody wants a person to be forced to be somewhere they don't want to be. That's stupid talk. Just make a way for the team holding the contract to get fair market value.

ZeusWillJudge
02-11-2019, 04:22 PM
HH obv isn't black, that's just schtick

LOL. Ya think? Next you're going to say that I'm not really a Greek god.

MaNu4Tres
02-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Can we trade DeMar to Charlotte for Batum and three 1sts?

Please?

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Exactly. And handle it privately. Leaving isn't the problem. But let your team get fair value out of their investment. Public demands, announcing that you'll only consider a couple of teams, faking an injury? That's not a business negotiation, it's a shakedown. At the very least, the league should yank the player's Bird rights

Nobody wants a person to be forced to be somewhere they don't want to be. That's stupid talk. Just make a way for the team holding the contract to get fair market value.

This is so naive:lol

Do you know what his agent would be doing behind the scenes even if he hadn't publicly asked for a trade? You don't think that Detroit and Charlotte don't already know that Anthony Davis isn't going to sign a long-term deal there? You don't think teams do their homework and have an idea of whether a player is willing to stay there for a 5-year deal? Smh..

:( but it was leaked on Twitter and on ESPN, now Atlanta and Cleveland know that he isn't willing to go there:(

phxspurfan
02-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the rest of the world, Spur Fan. Not everyone is like Duncan, Robinson, Manu or even Parker.

DPG21920
02-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Regardless of what you think, these players are being stupid. Do they have power?

PG wanted LA - got OKC. Kawhi wanted LA. He got shipped to a polar vortex. AD wanted LA? He’s still in NO begging NO to let him play.

Even if for selfish reasons, PR reasons, these players need to get better advice. They are trying to be these power brokers using average joes with jobs as comparisons despite making millions. All they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot, losing money and fan support.

Its fine to want out; just go about it the proper way. Should not be that hard.

Barfunk
02-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Easily big market super teams.

John B
02-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Demar was loyal and wanted to stay with the raptors and look what happened. Both players and teams have to look out for themselves. Demar learned the hard way and the whole ordeal has probably changed him.
I think if the organization is performing over .500, there should be more restrictions on trade requests. That should differentiate leaving a bad team vs prima donna’s wanting to team-up with their boyfriends

Joseph Kony
02-11-2019, 05:20 PM
If they don't want to play for the team they signed with then they need to sign 1+1 deals like KD. I have no sympathy for these guys trying to break a guaranteed contract they signed with their team. If you don't wanna play there, don't sign long term deals. These guys want the security of a long term contract but don't want to give their team the same security. Its BS imo. And these dudes are no like you or I working normal jobs, so that comparison is just stupid

apalisoc_9
02-11-2019, 05:22 PM
If they don't want to play for the team they signed with then they need to sign 1+1 deals like KD. I have no sympathy for these guys trying to break a guaranteed contract they signed with their team. If you don't wanna play there, don't sign long term deals. These guys want the security of a long term contract but don't want to give their team the same security. Its BS imo. And these dudes are no like you or I working normal jobs, so that comparison is just stupid

Yeah but teams trade players in guaranteed contracts all the time and in some occasions dont even tell the players until its done.

Teams dont have to relocate but players have to deal with relocating their families etc.

spurraider21
02-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Yeah but teams trade players in guaranteed contracts all the time and in some occasions dont even tell the players until its done.

Teams dont have to relocate but players have to deal with relocating their families etc.
Players still receive what they bargained for. The guaranteed salary. Sometimes with trade kickers

timvp
02-11-2019, 05:27 PM
Non story, tbh. If DeRozan said star players shouldn't be able to demand trades, that'd be a story. What he said was common sense.

tenbeersbold
02-11-2019, 07:33 PM
You wanna know what fans think...look at the tumbling viewing numbers...

https://thebiglead.com/2019/01/18/nba-ratings-decline-nfl/

MaNu4Tres
02-11-2019, 07:34 PM
Non story, tbh. If DeRozan said star players shouldn't be able to demand trades, that'd be a story. What he said was common sense.

Non story indeed.

However, I still think SA shld shop him this summer.

Millennial_Messiah
02-11-2019, 07:36 PM

Used condoms from Richard Jefferson & Dwight Howard

Strategic
02-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Car salesmen aren't risking injury by doing their job.Pretty sure that car salesmen occasionally get killed during test drives.

Spurs fever
02-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Off topic, but does anyone know if this YouTuber'Clan the Spurs fan' knows anything? I keep seeing him link the Spurs to several players and i see none of what he's saying from any reporters except the obvious names that are reported in the media. For instance he says the Spurs were looking at Jrue Holiday abd Terry Rozzier and we're looking to trade Bertans. I seen none of that.

Genovaswitness
02-11-2019, 07:44 PM
when did our team become full of sacks of shit. he’s paid to play not open his retarded mouth

Bynumite
02-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Plantation overseer Poop about to ship his ass to Orlando.

YGWHI
02-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Teams and fans ask players to be loyal when franchises aren't...NBA hypocrisy.

monty4329
02-12-2019, 07:59 AM
If only he was ok with star players actually playing defense...

What does this has to do with him? he should stick to talking about players like him. Anyway, STAR players do play defense when asked for.

duncan2k5
02-12-2019, 08:13 AM

All trade demands are public... Anthony Davis pretty much did exactly what Kawhi did, and yall act like it was different

Kobe'sAchilles
02-12-2019, 08:48 AM
What does this has to do with him? he should stick to talking about players like him. Anyway, STAR players do play defense when asked for.
Bc he should be more concerned with his horrible defense rather than worrying about other star players. And very few actually play defense. Lebron, harden, Westbrook, and curry all play zero defense.

monty4329
02-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Bc he should be more concerned with his horrible defense rather than worrying about other star players. And very few actually play defense. Lebron, harden, Westbrook, and curry all play zero defense.

DDR is not a star player.

Yes, some "star' player don't play good defense. Most of the stars play defense though, otherwise they wouldn't be true star players. But I get your point, NBA is going towards a defense-less game (and I don't like it a bit)

LeBron plays excellent playoffos defense
Kawhi plays defense (even being an a.hole etc etc)
Davis plays defense
Jannis plays defense
Paul George obviously
Irving is a very good defender

snickles
02-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Car salesmen aren't risking injury by doing their job.

they also don't have a team doctor available 24/7 free of charge. seriously, why do people continue to act like comparing a pro athlete's "job" to a 9-to-5-er makes ANY sense.

koriwhat
02-12-2019, 06:23 PM

he's so clueless about a 2 week or 30 day notice vs a contract for hire. shit there's nda's that keep people from working in the field they are in after leaving a job, maybe they should adopt nda's in the nba haha!

Othyus Lalanne
02-13-2019, 03:50 AM
Homeboy doesn’t appear to understand the fact that he has a contract with the club.

Lol 30 days notice.

If a player is hurt, some idiot gives you the king's ransom for it to seel tickets or really believes in him. You are happy with him asking for a trade.

r2d2
02-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Just my perspective from an outsider (Yes I am Raptor fan).

I see a lot of, he should shut his mouth and play, Compton education, we should pay them this and not that etc. The reality is that this league is an incredibly huge revenue maker as an entertainment business. It is driven by star players, and to make this league you have to be 1 in a million, possibly 1 in 10 million, 2nd rate players still can play in europe and the world but... make a lot less. If you are a 3rd runner up, you get jack shit, free beers at you local dive bar and story time that gets you kicked out at the end of the night about that time you shot the game winning shot for your highschool and now you are taking the fatty home at the end of the night, not because you want to but because she is your ride.

My point is this is the spotlight, this is the SHOW the money, you have as much say as there is demand for your services. Most NBA players do not have a choice where they play, hell, most of them do not even have guaranteed minutes, they are hoping and praying to continue the dream. One more contract, one more chance. We all know how quick you can go from a hero to a zero.

So the only guys that can actually demand where they play in this league, are the cream of the crop, the EARNERS. The guys that put people in their seats. These are the guys that teams are willing to put daggers in the backs of their regulars for a chance of signing.

Derozan is a Class act! I have watched sports all my life, love it, seen all kinds of personalities and egos. This guy is the real deal, he is level headed, smart, super hard worker, great family man, a tell it the way it is sort of chap. He is not trying to piss in anyones corn flakes, he just gave a perfectly common sense opinion, that if a dude has the option of deciding where he should play, he should
certainly be allowed to exercise it.

Then I see these Compton slurs, do as you are told.... and I start to scratch my head, and think.... maybe that is why Kahwai moved beyond the team. Maybe his thuggish looks and soft spoken style really rubbed some people the wrong way, maybe they are mad that this guy thought he had a choice.

Derozan deserves to be criticized for his play of late. Trust me, I bet he is the biggest critic of himself in that department. That said why is he not viewed as a fellow citizen, who should have the right to express his opinion? What is he a commodity? You guys own him or something. With politics the way they are in your country I sometimes wonder if what went down in your organization was disrespect on a different sort of level.

Also, I maybe I am the few, would gladly reverse the DEAL. I would take back Derozan, Potel (who I love, this kid has tools) and our pick. Kahwai , hasn't exactly given us an indication that he will stay. We also expected a lot more from him than he has shown. Many of us are getting the feeling that he is just going through the motions to play to terms of his current contract before he bolts. BTW I love Green, wow, thank you for that, he has shown commitment and he has made it clear he will be more than happy to stay if we want him.... but to me that is not enough, unless we win the ring this year, to justify the Derozan/Potel/1st rounder. Our GM gambled and its looking like we need to win it ALL this year just to have a case for Khawai staying. He would look like a tool leaving an organization that put a supporting cast around him to get a ring.

Just really stunned on how you guys talk down to Derozan. The basketball criticism I get. The fellow citizen who should keep his mouth shut if he knows what is right for him I don't get..... is it possible, that DD is seeing why Khawai wanted to bolt? It would be quite the shock, coming from a progressive market like Toronto, where you are royalty and given the benefit of the doubt. Where your word is respected and folks look up to you, to a market where you are where you were born. From Compton, and if you know whats best you best keep your mouth shut.

(Sorry about the heavy post.... maybe I am out to lunch, but just telling you the impression I get, and I honestly am shocked at how little humanity is seen in some of your best players.)

EDIT: Potel is going to be a good one... quality big man, so rare with this skill set. So young and so good so early, wait 5 years and this guy will be in BEAST mode.

Collins21
02-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Thank you. As a Long time Spurs fan the shit is embarrassing how people are treating Manu. However some of the fans are the same fans who trashed Parker for years so I shouldn't suprise me. These same dudes will call DD a scrub but then admire some Euro trash player the shit is weird.

ZeusWillJudge
02-16-2019, 09:00 PM
All trade demands are public... Anthony Davis pretty much did exactly what Kawhi did, and yall act like it was different

If they're not public, how would you know if they happen or not? Think... then type.

Adam Silver made some public comments in the last 24 hours about these public trade demands, and you'll find a lot of what I've been saying in them. A few pathetic mortals keep arguing with me, but the guy who runs the league knows. Here are a few of his comments:

“No
I don’t like trade demands and I wish they’d be handled behind closed doors. (http://hoopshype.com/social/)"

“Whether it be a team or a player, not meeting a contractual agreement is something you don’t want to see as a league.” (Get it? The players have actual contracts that say they will stay for a certain number of years, in exchange for a pile of money. When they refuse to do that, they are breaking a contract. Period.) (http://hoopshype.com/social/)

Silver says the law of unintended consequences came into play with these trade demands. "The reason they enacted the ability to extend a contract a year before it expired was to protect the teams (http://hoopshype.com/social/)
".

“There’s nothing I’ll be able to do to stop that completely … but

is there more we can do to create better chances for all 30 teams to compete?” (http://hoopshype.com/social/)
(Translation: he plans to do something to slow this shit down, at least. Because if small market teams have no chance of getting/keeping star players, they fold and the league is in trouble.)

I expect the sweet perfume of burnt sacrifices and apologies from some of you.

slick'81
02-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Non story indeed.

However, I still think SA shld shop him this summer.

pop and company wont give up after just one season.entering his third and final year that contract should be plenty tradable

SouthTexasRancher
02-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Is DD saying this because at the end of this season he is going to want out of his contract and be traded to a so-called super team?

Nivek_ogre
02-17-2019, 10:56 AM
The man was asked a specific question concerning his peers. Wtf is he supposed to say. Most of you idiots are reading too much into it.

resistanze
02-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Teams and fans ask players to be loyal when franchises aren't...NBA hypocrisy.

Not to mention DeRozan signed a max extension with the Raptors at midnight July 1 with the Raptors, without considering any other options. Then was told to his face he wasn't getting traded for Nephew then promptly was traded a couple of days after :lol

Why does 'loyalty' and 'playing out contract' only apply to one side in this conversation? Should team pay a 'penalty' for trading players they signed?

ZeusWillJudge
02-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Not to mention DeRozan signed a max extension with the Raptors at midnight July 1 with the Raptors, without considering any other options. Then was told to his face he wasn't getting traded for Nephew then promptly was traded a couple of days after :lol

Why does 'loyalty' and 'playing out contract' only apply to one side in this conversation? Should team pay a 'penalty' for trading players they signed?

Do you want a real answer, or are you happy just asking rhetorical questions?

The NBA takes in about $7.5 Billion in revenue a year. (The players get 57% of that.) To maximize revenues, the teams all need to be competitive. The rules are there to allow teams to make the moves they think will let them be competitive. Some are better at it than others, but they have to be able to hire, fire, and trade players that they think will make the team better.

There is a HUGE drop off in talent once you get past the top few players in the league. If the best 10 players all wind up on two teams, the game would become a joke and people outside those two cities would quit watching. Not all people, but too many people to justify the enormous television contracts.

The Raptors may have handled the situation with DDR in a shit way, but he gets $110M over four years to pay for therapy.

gambit1990
02-17-2019, 06:03 PM
it’s a business.

gambit1990
02-17-2019, 06:03 PM
pls ask for a trade demar.

resistanze
02-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Do you want a real answer, or are you happy just asking rhetorical questions?

The NBA takes in about $7.5 Billion in revenue a year. (The players get 57% of that.) To maximize revenues, the teams all need to be competitive. The rules are there to allow teams to make the moves they think will let them be competitive. Some are better at it than others, but they have to be able to hire, fire, and trade players that they think will make the team better.

There is a HUGE drop off in talent once you get past the top few players in the league. If the best 10 players all wind up on two teams, the game would become a joke and people outside those two cities would quit watching. Not all people, but too many people to justify the enormous television contracts.

The Raptors may have handled the situation with DDR in a shit way, but he gets $110M over four years to pay for therapy.

Still waiting for an actual real answer. Like you said, the players take more than half of the league's revenue share, so I don't know what power dynamics make it okay for teams to move player mid-contract, but not for players request to be moved (that has been pointed out already, no team is obligated to do).

The competitive crap you said is subjective mumbo jumbo. The Warriors are about to win the Western Conference for the 5th consecutive year. LeBron-led teams won the East for 8 consecutive years. Shaq/Kobe/Duncan were in the NBA Finals every year 1999-2010. The League has never been more profitable.

Clearly, the league is 'competitive' enough, whether GMs are making good or bad trades. And clearly GMs at the time must've thought their teams were 'competitive' enough to give the contract to the player in the first place. I don't know how anything you said justifies a one-sided relationship regarding player mobility in the NBA.

ZeusWillJudge
02-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Still waiting for an actual real answer.

Teams HAVE to be able to make moves to try and improve. Period. Players have unrestricted free agency, so the idea that they can never go where they want is beyond stupid.

You can hang onto your fiction, if it's important to you. But Silver's comments tell everyone where the league is on the subject. If this trend is left to continue, it will cut into revenues. And nobody wants that - especially not the players.

If you're worried about the mental health of the guys making $25M a season, you can always send them a card.

resistanze
02-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Teams HAVE to be able to make moves to try and improve. Period. Players have unrestricted free agency, so the idea that they can never go where they want is beyond stupid.
Teams have unrestricted free agency AND the draft AND overseas AND G League as well to make moves. That's why you know, they signed a player to X amount of years in the first place - by your logic, why didn't the GM just offer less amount of years if they weren't happy with their decision? Why are you so concerned about the millions the players make but not the billions the owners and teams make under the same system?

Again, you haven't addressed anything and are spouting gibberish.