PDA

View Full Version : Since the Front Office is clueless, how can the fans help this organization?

Dennis the Menace
02-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Pau Gasol and Patty Mills are the 3rd and 4th highest paid players on this team. There is absolutely no excuse for this if a team has aspirations of winning a championship.

Watching Pop and The Front Office operate is reminiscent of a clueless, washed up Mack Brown/Bobby Bowden with no Vince Young/Colt McCoy (Duncan/Kawhi) to carry them to success.

In college athletics the boosters and significant donors get involved. The fans stop attending games and fly banners that this is not the standard. Changes are made when the organization’s bottom line is negatively affected.

Besides fans not showing up to games and losing sponsorship revenue, what can the fans do to help? Make t-shirts reading “Today’s NBA” with pictures of Pop and RC blindfolded on the front and majority of attendees wear them to games? On its current course, the outlook is mediocrity for the next few seasons. Is there anything that the fans can do to expedite the transormation of Front Office change?

Rosewood
02-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Yeah Spurs have the WORST front office in the league.

No young players, no draft picks, no loyal veterans, and after 20+ years of mediocrity we still don't have a championship to show for it. We can't even make the playoffs. 0% chance.

It's total bullshit I'm right there with you, we should keep posting on here until Pop sees this and changes his ways tbh. It's the ONLY way.

I could stop watching, but fuck that, this NEEDS to change or I'll probably kill myself.

Russ
02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Watching Pop and The Front Office operate is reminiscent of a clueless, washed up Mack Brown/Bobby Bowden with no Vince Young/Colt McCoy (Duncan/Kawhi) to carry them to success.

In college athletics the boosters and significant donors get involved. The fans stop attending games and fly banners that this is not the standard. Changes are made when the organization’s bottom line is negatively affected.

You want another Charlie Strong?

Pavlov
02-11-2019, 10:50 PM
We can make a lot of alts and start multiple threads that say the same thing!

Dennis the Menace
02-11-2019, 10:57 PM

Im asking is there anything that the fans can do? Or do we just accept how things are with the organization and root for 45-50 win seasons and 1st round exits? Because that’s what the trajectory is for the foreseeable future

Pavlov
02-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Im asking is there anything that the fans can do? Or do we just accept how things are with the organization and root for 45-50 win seasons and 1st round exits? Because that’s what the trajectory is for the foreseeable futureNot much.

Try moar alts tho.

Play Boban
02-11-2019, 11:23 PM
By bitching on spurstalk tbh.

dbestpro
02-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Im asking is there anything that the fans can do? Or do we just accept how things are with the organization and root for 45-50 win seasons and 1st round exits? Because that’s what the trajectory is for the foreseeable future
If you really want to get under Pop's skin, become a Trump supporter.

Pavlov
02-11-2019, 11:38 PM
By bitching on spurstalk tbh.Got Boban more minutes, didn't it?

Oh.

Seventyniner
02-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Fans could post on ST more. That always helps.

YGWHI
02-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Since "LeBron will trade you" Pacers' chants for Ingram many fanbases are becoming more and more creative

Hawks fans were with "not good enough to trade for AD" to Pascal Siakam last week.

I guess Spurs fans can start with "PATFO! no more Mills&Paul contracts!" home games...

Pavlov
02-12-2019, 12:00 AM
:lol these guys can't afford to go to games.

TheGreatYacht
02-12-2019, 03:49 AM
:lol Chump is rattled

Pavlov
02-12-2019, 04:07 AM
:lol Chump is rattledOK, what is your plan to change everything on the Spurs outside ST?

r0drig0lac
02-12-2019, 04:09 AM
Since "LeBron will trade you" Pacers' chants for Ingram many fanbases are becoming more and more creative

Hawks fans were with "not good enough to trade for AD" to Pascal Siakam last week.

I guess Spurs fans can start with "PATFO! no more Mills&Paul contracts!" home games...

not bad imo

NameLess Scrub
02-12-2019, 06:14 AM

:lol

monty4329
02-12-2019, 06:34 AM
Yeah Spurs have the WORST front office in the league.

No young players, no draft picks, no loyal veterans, and after 20+ years of mediocrity we still don't have a championship to show for it. We can't even make the playoffs. 0% chance.

It's total bullshit I'm right there with you, we should keep posting on here until Pop sees this and changes his ways tbh. It's the ONLY way.

I could stop watching, but fuck that, this NEEDS to change or I'll probably kill myself.

that

monty4329
02-12-2019, 06:38 AM
For being clueless, I guess the results so far must be just pure luck. But you could apply for the post of GM and HC, they are so clueless that I am sure ownership is looking to replace them asap. Unless they base staff choices on business performace and court results: in that case no need to apply.

sananspursfan21
02-12-2019, 08:16 AM
“How can the fans help” :lmao

Thats rich. Either you’ve got a great sense of humor or you’ve been watching too many 90s kids movies

Dex
02-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Fans don't run an organization. No amount of petitions, emails, letters, or bitching on forums or twitter is going to alter what the Spurs are going to do.

The only thing fans can do is stop watching...and even that won't make a difference.

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 11:46 AM
We can build a basketball court in the middle of a corn field.
And Tim, and David, and Tony, and Manu will all come back and play.
It'll be great!

https://www.twincities.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/wpid-20150824__150826ttd-watch_fieldofdreams.jpg?w=620

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 11:52 AM
We can steal GSW's play book.
Make some changes and get them to shoot all their shots on our end of the floor.
Because that's the sort of things real fans do.

https://knpr.org/sites/default/files/public/styles/detail_small/public/images/story/little_rascals.jpg?itok=YiMwzXq3

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 11:59 AM
We can hold a big fashion show.
Raise a lot of money, and buy a small forward.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5820d569dd089501518b48a3-/dont-tell-mom-the-babysitters-dead.gif

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-12-2019, 12:45 PM
"The Process" doesn't work too well when all you've done is win and make the playoffs for the last two decades. So, yeah, the team's thinner than it used to be, but sh!t happens. The Gasol contract is a blemish, but no FO is perfect.

Spoiled fans are spoiled.

Ibleedslvrnblk
02-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Be happy you cheer for a team who can do that. I hear the Knicks and Cavs need fans...

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
"The Process" doesn't work too well when all you've done is win and make the playoffs for the last two decades. So, yeah, the team's thinner than it used to be, but sh!t happens. The Gasol contract is a blemish, but no FO is perfect.

Spoiled fans are spoiled.

We are spoiled.

The problem isn't what the FO did or didn't do this season. It's that they refused to recognize that they were already too thin, and too handcuffed by cap space, to rebuild in place yet again - two years ago. And that miscalculation led to throwing WAY too much money at Gasol and Mills. Just because Spurs fans are spoiled, it doesn't mean that the FO didn't screw the pooch.

What a lot of people here don't get is that once those decisions were made, there really wasn't anything the FO could do, other than totally blowing it up. And they would have liked that even less.

slick'81
02-12-2019, 01:57 PM
We are spoiled.

The problem isn't what the FO did or didn't do this season. It's that they refused to recognize that they were already too thin, and too handcuffed by cap space, to rebuild in place yet again - two years ago. And that miscalculation led to throwing WAY too much money at Gasol and Mills. Just because Spurs fans are spoiled, it doesn't mean that the FO didn't screw the pooch.

What a lot of people here don't get is that once those decisions were made, there really wasn't anything the FO could do, other than totally blowing it up. And they would have liked that even less.

They def overestimated wat demar would or wouldnt bring to the table

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 02:01 PM
They def overestimated wat demar would or wouldnt bring to the table

They didn't have much choice. They had to trade Kawhi, and I think that package was about as good as they were going to get offered for a likely 1-year rental. DeRozan is what DeRozan is, but that decision got made for them. All the FO could do at that point is try to make the best of it.

Nckillabee
02-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Zeus is quickly becoming one of the best posters on Spurstalk. His judgements fro Mount Olympic crack me up. Pretty good insight for a god too.

Dverde
02-12-2019, 02:16 PM
They didn't have much choice. They had to trade Kawhi, and I think that package was about as good as they were going to get offered for a likely 1-year rental. DeRozan is what DeRozan is, but that decision got made for them. All the FO could do at that point is try to make the best of it.

That Covington, Saric, and filler trade could be argued as better in hindsight. I think it’s too early to tell.

Ro50
02-12-2019, 02:18 PM
Or start “buy him out” chants.

GreekSpursfan
02-12-2019, 02:48 PM
I usually dont post on threads with titles as dump as this but i'll make an exception and say, what a bunch of spoiled, whiny fans we have become especially in a small market like this.

dbestpro
02-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Living your life vicariously through another individual is one type of fan. Another sees sports as entertainment and wants to be entertained. Their team can even lose and they will still enjoy the game if they play well both offensively and defensively. When there team plays bad or is not entertaining, they call it out. Those who say fans are spoiled are the first type of fan. They live off the life of others and feel a need to defend their team even with a poor product.

So, the message to those who like to use the word spoiled, get a life. You need to start looking at living your life off your own merits and stop taking offense when people call out those you have been living vicariously through.

Shakril
02-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Remember:

San Antonio is still San Antonio. The only reason that this City and Team is relevent is because of the Front Office and Pop. If this Organization FO would be similar to the Knicks, the Franchise would be now called the Seattle Spurs now.
In Summary, everyone who thinks this FO is bad, is completely out of touch with the reality.

This year and last year were derailed because the Kwahi Saga and injuries, this kind of things happen and the spurs are still in the running for the 4th Spot in the Western Conference.
Thats pretty remarkable.

r0drig0lac
02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Living your life vicariously through another individual is one type of fan. Another sees sports as entertainment and wants to be entertained. Their team can even lose and they will still enjoy the game if they play well both offensively and defensively. When there team plays bad or is not entertaining, they call it out. Those who say fans are spoiled are the first type of fan. They live off the life of others and feel a need to defend their team even with a poor product.

So, the message to those who like to use the word spoiled, get a life. You need to start looking at living your life off your own merits and stop taking offense when people call out those you have been living vicariously through.

just ignore them like any smart person, that sort of thing makes absolutely no sense in a forum to talk about the franchise

slick'81
02-12-2019, 03:12 PM
just ignore them like any smart person, that sort of thing makes absolutely no sense in a forum to talk about the franchise

But if we dont support everything the spurs do were not fans:cry

rascal
02-12-2019, 03:40 PM
That Covington, Saric, and filler trade could be argued as better in hindsight. I think it’s too early to tell.

Covington,Saric and the number 10 was a better deal.

slick'81
02-12-2019, 03:44 PM

Alot of deals were probably better then derozan a backup c and 28th overall pick

exstatic
02-12-2019, 04:00 PM

I honestly think DeMar is just a bridge to the next built Spurs team. I think the Spurs never intended nor intend to actually build around him.

99 Problems
02-12-2019, 04:01 PM
AAU start-up called ST Elite. Coached by a panel of ST posters remotely via the net. We harvest the talent. You know how it goes from there on NBA = F.....

TheGoatishere
02-12-2019, 04:05 PM

No , they both aren’t good especially Saric and Roco has a very low basketball iq

exstatic
02-12-2019, 04:06 PM

We call you spoiled because most of you act like it's the worst thing in the world to be a low seed, and go out in the first round. There are plenty of teams that regularly miss that bar. Their fans would laugh at you, and call you spoiled.

exstatic
02-12-2019, 04:09 PM
No , they both aren’t good especially Saric and Roco has a very low basketball iq

Not to mention that we would legit have NO ball handler right about now.

rascal
02-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Mikal Bridges is who I want here.

rascal
02-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Not to mention that we would legit have NO ball handler right about now.

So you don't think the spurs would have gotten another pg if they make the trade with phil?

dbestpro
02-12-2019, 04:29 PM
We call you spoiled because most of you act like it's the worst thing in the world to be a low seed, and go out in the first round. There are plenty of teams that regularly miss that bar. Their fans would laugh at you, and call you spoiled.

So, you are the type of fan who lives his life vicariously. Duly noted.

slick'81
02-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Be grateful were fighting for our playoff lives! It could be worse

exstatic
02-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Nope. You got that one JUST backwards. Its the ones that cry about not contending for a championship that live their lives vicariously. No team success means they aren't a success.

Play Boban
02-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Got Boban more minutes, didn't it?

Oh.

Well, if this trade to the 76ers is any indication.......maybe.

gambit1990
02-12-2019, 06:12 PM
they can’t.

GreekSpursfan
02-12-2019, 06:23 PM
I've seen less imagination in sci-fi movies than the proposed offers that allegedly were made by other teams for a 1 year rental of an "injured", disgruntled, having missed an entire season, Kawhi Leonard.

jjktkk
02-12-2019, 06:31 PM
OK, what is your plan to change everything on the Spurs outside ST?

Keep pretending he knows what he's talking about on here.

Spurs Homer
02-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Here is how:

Renounce your spurs card that you found in the warriors/lakers/raptors bandwagon heap =

and go to any of those teams forums and never come back!

YGWHI
02-12-2019, 07:36 PM
They didn't have much choice. [b[ They had to trade Kawhi[/b], and I think that package was about as good as they were going to get offered for a likely 1-year rental. DeRozan is what DeRozan is, but that decision got made for them. All the FO could do at that point is try to make the best of it.
Not really.

I've posted this before but again...If a player asks for a trade it doesn't mean the team HAS to trade him.

They could have opted to keep him this season. Force him to play in 2019...If he refuses, the league would finally fine him every game he sits. He would get exposed while his value in 2020 FA would get lower and lower...

This team is struggling anyway...who cares if the Spurs wouldn't get anything for Kawhi?

At least they would have sent a strong message to the league "We're the f*ucking Spurs. This is our team and our city. We're in control. We don't give a shit about players' demands" "Do you want leave? Yeah...We don't trade you"

Trading Kawhi was the weakest move in the Spurs' franchise story.

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Not really.

I've posted this before but again...If a player asks for a trade it doesn't mean the team HAS to trade him.

They could have opted to keep him this season. Force him to play in 2019...If he refuses, the league would finally fine him every game he sits. He would get exposed while his value in 2020 FA would get lower and lower...

This team is struggling anyway...who cares if the Spurs wouldn't get anything for Kawhi?

At least they would have sent a strong message to the league "We're the f*ucking Spurs. This is our team and our city. We're in control. We don't give a shit about players' demands" "Do you want leave? Yeah...We don't trade you"

Trading Kawhi was the weakest move in the Spurs' franchise story.

So you've got him for one more season. He's not going full-out on anything, because he's making sure he's healthy for his next contract. You totally destroy team chemistry. And here's the best part: Toronto has to worry that Kawhi might be a one year rental; the Spurs KNEW for 100% sure that he would have been a one year rental for them. Get it? The Spurs got two players and a first round pick for one season of Kawhi. One season only. Of course they didn't have to trade Kawhi. But it was the only way to get ANY value out of him, which means they would have been stupid not to move him. It wasn't a weak move, it was the only move.

And wait...did you say that the team is struggling anyway, so it wouldn't matter if they got nothing for Kawhi? You aren't even trying to make sense.

For that ridiculously weak take.
For going that far out of your way to hate on PATFO, when there are legit things to bitch about.

You have been judged and found unworthy.

YGWHI
02-12-2019, 08:15 PM
So you've got him for one more season. He's not going full-out on anything, because he's making sure he's healthy for his next contract. You totally destroy team chemistry. And here's the best part: Toronto has to worry that Kawhi might be a one year rental; the Spurs KNEW for 100% sure that he would have been a one year rental for them. Get it? The Spurs got two players and a first round pick for one season of Kawhi. One season only. Of course they didn't have to trade Kawhi. But it was the only way to get ANY value out of him, which means they would have been stupid not to move him. It wasn't a weak move, it was the only move.

And wait...did you say that the team is struggling anyway, so it wouldn't matter if they got nothing for Kawhi? You aren't even trying to make sense.

For that ridiculously weak take.
For going that far out of your way to hate on PATFO, when there are legit things to bitch about.

You have been judged and found unworthy.

Again...They got two players for him? C'mon. They got a scorer who is useless without the ball in his hands on a too expensive contract. Without talking about his other issues on/off court.

What they got is really bad. Do you realize Raptors' were desperate to trade one of Lowry/DeRozan to dump salaries and still Spurs couldn't get Siakam in the trade over Jakob?

Who cares if they don't trade him/don't get any value for him?

I would rather see the Spurs keeping & destroying a player's career and sending a message to the rest of the league than yielding to his camp's trade-demand.

I don't hate PATFO. I really love Pop but this was his weakest move

MultiTroll
02-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Awkward as it may have been, Kwa on the Spurs before the trade deadline might have gotten some very juicy offers.
Does he play as well on the Spurs as he is on Toronto? Probably not, but he has to put up some good stuff to sniff that max offer.

paperboy77
02-12-2019, 08:54 PM
There's a lot of new posters in here. Maybe a lot of longtime lurkers like I was. It's a good thing either way.... Welcome aboard!

UnWantedTheory
02-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Again...They got two players for him? C'mon. They got a scorer who is useless without the ball in his hands on a too expensive contract. Without talking about his other issues on/off court.

What they got is really bad. Do you realize Raptors' were desperate to trade one of Lowry/DeRozan to dump salaries and still Spurs couldn't get Siakam in the trade over Jakob?

Who cares if they don't trade him/don't get any value for him?

I would rather see the Spurs keeping & destroying a player's career and sending a message to the rest of the league than yielding to his camp's trade-demand.

I don't hate PATFO. I really love Pop but this was his weakest move

Retard logic. For a city that has issues attracting star players, your line of thinking would make damn sure no one signs here at all. Btw, getting assets is much more important than petty revenge. A move made out of frustration like you are advocating is what is weak.

paperboy77
02-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Love this post. Its getting pretty damn frustrating with this team. I first picked up a basketball back in the 4th grade and fell in love immediately. I remember the older kids correcting me and teaching me the rules.. double dribble, traveling.. the basics. Learned the shit out of the sport and love it today. I ball quite a bit and really enjoy it. Been a Spurs fan since about 87' so I've endured shitty records. Back then though it was the standard so I really loved the playoffs and just watching the best go at it. DRob, Pop, Timmay, Tony and Manu were really a blessing and spoiled me (all of us). Completely changed the way I looked at the NBA.

So back to the current shitty state... all I can say is that this shit is a cyclical and we'll get our turn some day. Hopefully before we die! I say just be a fan of the NBA. It's what its all about ... basketball at the highest level. I do think it's Pops time. RC too, i guess. I don't really know the dynamic with those two though. My vote is Becky or the Italian guy. I'm looking for longevity here with Becky being younger and seemingly a good basketball mind.

paperboy77
02-12-2019, 10:01 PM
:lol these guys can't afford to go to games.

This

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Awkward as it may have been, Kwa on the Spurs before the trade deadline might have gotten some very juicy offers.
Does he play as well on the Spurs as he is on Toronto? Probably not, but he has to put up some good stuff to sniff that max offer.

Who do you think the Spurs could have gotten at the deadline, when the other team would have known for sure that it was a four month rental of Kawhi? The Knicks traded Kristaps so they would have cap space to hire two max players in free agency. Renting Kawhi for four months would have put them in the same shape, but without whatever talent they sent out to get him. That would have been too dumb for even Isaiah Thomas if he was still there.

Anthony Davis? The Pels turned down offers for him, mostly because he's still under contract for another whole year and they can try to structure something better in the offseason. They would have been getting Kawhi for four months, with zero hope of keeping him in New Orleans.

One of the teams that made a big move before the deadline was the Raptors. Would they have given a lot more than they did for Kawhi at the deadline? Doesn't seem likely that they would have any shot at keeping him, with only a few months to get attached to teammates. I think they might have taken a shot at Porzingis.

If the rumors are true, the Clippers don't think they have to offer anything because they can get him next season anyway.

It would have to be someone going all-in on a championship this season. But then they wouldn't have been willing to give up talent that would lower their chance of winning a championship this season. Or it would have to be a city that might have a chance at talking him into staying.
So who? Who would have been the big buyer, and for what? Go down the list, and the only one that might make sense would be Boston, and I'm not going to write a book on the reasons I don't think Boston would have given more than what the Spurs got.

Kawhi screwed the Spurs with the way he did things. But by mid-season, everyone would have known that they were desperate to get something for him.

ZeusWillJudge
02-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Not really.

This right here is what happens when you try to "force" a player to play basketball:

"The disgruntled star who requested a trade last month had one of the worst showings of his career. He didn’t make his first field goal -- which was also his only -- until there was 9:57 to go in the third quarter. That’s the latest he’s gone without buying his first basket since the 2013-14 season. The Pelicans star forward also posted a 32.9 offensive rating, his lowest ever in a game in which he played at least 20 minutes, per StatMuse (https://statm.us/e/m/r7uRPHp29)."

It's well known that I have a thing for mortal women. I would come looking for your wife, but you are already such a pathetic cuckold that it wouldn't be very satisfying.

You have been measured and come up...short.

Dverde
02-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Gamblers could have made a fortune on Spurs losing to shitty teams this year. We’ve lost to Bulls, Suns, Grizzlies (twice?), Magic, Bobcats...

YGWHI
02-13-2019, 09:17 PM
This right here is what happens when you try to "force" a player to play basketball:

"The disgruntled star who requested a trade last month had one of the worst showings of his career. He didn’t make his first field goal -- which was also his only -- until there was 9:57 to go in the third quarter. That’s the latest he’s gone without buying his first basket since the 2013-14 season. The Pelicans star forward also posted a 32.9 offensive rating, his lowest ever in a game in which he played at least 20 minutes, per StatMuse (https://statm.us/e/m/r7uRPHp29)."

I never said it would be pretty.

While the player decreases his value for next FA playing like shit...PATFO would be "You don't mess with the Spurs. Do you want a trade? Sorry, we will destroy your career, we will make you miserable for a whole season. In the future, no one Spur player will ask for a trade again." :tu

YGWHI
02-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Or start “buy him out” chants.
Take a page of Pacers' fans. :D

UnWantedTheory
02-14-2019, 01:37 AM
[/I]I never said it would be pretty.

While the player decreases his value for next FA playing like shit...PATFO would be "You don't mess with the Spurs. Do you want a trade? Sorry, we will destroy your career, we will make you miserable for a whole season. In the future, no one Spur player will ask for [/SIZE][/COLOR]a trade again." :tu
It sets a stupid precedent in a player driven league for simple petty revenge. What you were advocating for makes zero sense outside of spite.

[/LEFT]

Pavlov
02-14-2019, 01:54 AM
Take a page of Pacers' fans. :D

1095765282960887808You guys have to buy tickets to do that.