PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Grizzlies - Feb. 12, 2019

timvp
02-13-2019, 02:35 AM
https://i.imgur.com/kQuDwVb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sPkEu7K.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xVZhl5O.jpg

The Spurs desperately needed a win in Memphis in their final game before the All-Star break. And they got it ... just barely.

After beginning the 2019 Rodeo Road trip with four consecutive losses, Tuesday night's affair started off in disastrous fashion. The offense was sluggish, the defense was asleep and the ragtag Grizzlies led at the end of the first quarter 33-20.

Thankfully, mercifully, the Spurs turned it around in the middle two periods. Over the second and third quarters, the San Antonio outscored Memphis 74-53 to take an eight-point advantage into the final stanza. During that time, the Spurs were shooting lights out from distance and their defense showed a couple signs of life.

In the fourth quarter, the Spurs spent the 12 minutes tiptoeing around what would have been a horrendous, demoralizing loss. Thankfully, the D held rigid enough to prevent a limp offensive quarter from sinking the ship. With the 108-107 victory, the Spurs improved to 33-26 on the season and 1-4 on the Rodeo Road Trip.

Was this a good win? No. But the Spurs had to have it so at this point beggars can't be choosers if you're a fan of this team. An ugly, disheartening win is much better than what the other option held.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
For the most part, LaMarcus Aldridge played rather well. He was running the court with purpose, was uber physical in the post, and scratched and clawed his way to 22 points and 11 rebounds. There's no doubt he should have gotten many more touches than he did. But even when his touches were infrequent, Aldridge admirably kept fighting. Defensively, his protection of the rim was much better than usual. However, his individual defense was lacking and he wasn't helping out much on the perimeter.
Grade: B+
Summary: Aldridge willed the team to victory.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
DeMar DeRozan's funk continues. After shooting the ball exceedingly straight for three straight games, DeRozan managed to miss 14 of his 19 shot attempts against the Grizzlies. To make matters worse, he only had three free throw attempts and five assists in 41 minutes (DeRozan hasn't recorded more than six assists yet in the month of February). The only tiny sliver of a silver lining on offense was DeRozan wasn't dominating the action as much as he has in recent games. He was more willing to pass and only turned it over once after turning it over nine times in his previous two outings. Defensively, DeRozan was his typical sub par self but he did, to his credit, sprinkle in a few impressive defensive plays here and there.
Grade: C-
Summary: DeRozan couldn't hit a shot but his night wasn't quite a 100% failure.

-------------

Rudy Gay
https://i.imgur.com/vqYr2we.png
The Spurs would have been in deep, deep trouble without Rudy Gay. Not only did he lead the team in rebounds (12) and assists (season-high eight), he had a handful of momentous defensive plays in the fourth quarter. Gay was also efficient offensively, limited his mistakes and looked good health-wise after missing the previous game with an ankle injury. The Spurs need Gay to stay healthy if they have any hope of having a strong run to close out the season.
Grade: A-
Summary: Gay's impressive season continues.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
Bryn Forbes' offense was choppy for much of the evening. He didn't have full confidence in himself and seemed to second-guessing his decisions. On this night, his passing was better than his shooting. Defensively, Forbes got scored on a whole lot. But, to be fair, he had stretches where he put his defensive effort into overdrive and was able to help turn the tide on that end of the court. He didn't swipe half of the team's six steals by accident and even uncharacteristically applied fullcourt pressure at times.
Grade: C
Summary: Forbes wasn't too good on either end but his effort on D was commendable.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
The good: Davis Bertans poured in 17 points on only seven shots -- hitting all four of his three-point attempts and all three of his freebies helped in that matter. His defense out on the perimeter was better than usual. Bertans challenged shots well and moved his feet with quickness when needed. The bad: Bertans needed to let it fly more. He was passing up far too many shots. With Bertans, his mentality can't be "good to great," it has to be "eh, good enough." He's too good of a shooter with too quick of a trigger to do anything but shoot open-ish shots. Defensively, while he was a positive asset out on the perimeter, he got overwhelmed in the paint too easily and was even less sturdy than usual on the boards.
Grade: B
Summary: Bertans helped but he could have done more.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
On one hand, Patty Mills brought the Spurs back from the dead with a strong start to the second quarter. His season-high 22 points were all very much needed (on only 12 shots, no less). Mills had a few wonderful passes and finished the game without a turnover. On the other hand, he gave back almost all of his positives by being a turnstile on defense. His transition defense was particularly feeble. Mills also wasn't fighting through screens. Especially when Derrick White is out of the lineup, Mills has to give effort on both sides of the court.
Grade: B
Summary: Mills was fabulous on offense. Mills was terrible on defense.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
Much like Mills, Marco Belinelli helped resuscitate the Spurs. He was aggressive on offense, ran the court hard and brought some much needed vivacity to that end. Belinelli didn't quite shoot it as well as Mills, though. And for as bad as Mills was on defense, Belinelli was worse. He couldn't stay in front of anyone (and when I type anyone, I mean anyone) and the Grizzlies were scoring at will just about any time he stepped on the hardwood.
Grade: C-
Summary: Good energy on offense. Couldn't have played much worse on defense.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
Jakob Poeltl was disappointing in nearly all facets. He was soft in the paint, both offensive and defensively. His pick-and-roll defense was putrid. Poeltl's post defense was poor. On offense, he wasn't rolling strong enough and, as a result, wasn't creating passing lanes for the ballhandlers. The only thing Poeltl did decently was rebound the basketball.
Grade: D+
Summary: Poeltl will burn the tape before it reaches Austria.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
The Spurs were flat for a majority of the game, so I'll put some of that on Pop's shoulders. DeRozan played too much, unquestionably. I would rather Gay not play 35 minutes coming off of an injury ... but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.
Grade: C
Summary: Pop just did avoid a loss.

Looking ahead: The Spurs now have nine days off. Let's hope Aldridge stays healthy as he participates in the All-Star game. Let's hope DeRozan can rest up and get back to 100%. Let's hope Derrick White will be back ASAP.

The Spurs still have three more games on the Rodeo Road Trip. The next game is a little trip to Toronto that may draw a few extra cameras. But, for the next week at least, forget about the forthcoming Raptors game and recharge those batteries.

monty4329
02-13-2019, 03:16 AM
The usual DDR totally negative. I can't for the love of G understand why he was given the last shot, where he didn't even hit the rim. He has no business being on the floor.

Defense on Bradley was horrible

MoSpur02
02-13-2019, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the grades. I don't like saying this, but I feel that Mills should probably get a B+. He had a huge part with the Spurs winning this game. His defense sucked as usual, but he played great offensively. Same could be said for Bertans.

spurs10
02-13-2019, 03:28 AM
This was a great victory considering the alternative. Thanks for the grades and thank goodness for the W. Hopefully the ASB won't be too arduous on LMA and the rest of the team gets some rest. Finishing strong is still very possible. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season!
:flag:

skookumchuck
02-13-2019, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the grades. I don't like saying this, but I feel that Mills should probably get a B+. He had a huge part with the Spurs winning this game. His defense sucked as usual, but he played great offensively. Same could be said for Bertans.

You tryna say Bertie sucked on defense tonight? :rollin

vavvi
02-13-2019, 04:57 AM
We barely won against the garbage team shooting 62% from deep. Avery fucking Bradley as known as historically negative on offense scored 33 points on us. That was pathetic and hard to watch.

LA, Gay, Bertans, Mills -- maybe B-/C+
Demar -- D

r0drig0lac
02-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Summary: Forbes wasn't too good on either end but his effort on D was commendable.

yes, he was useless against a physical team and this will never change

Shakril
02-13-2019, 08:32 AM
timvp: Your analysis of Poeltl is dead wrong. His pick and roll defense was bad? Are you kidding me. What he is supposed to do, when every guard rushes past every perimeter defender the Spurs have. He is always put in an impossible position. And on offense? He was rolling all the time, just seldom got the ball, or Mills made very bad passes which were hard to catch. I dont say Poeltl had a great game, but your points of emphasis are dead wrong.

Mills was horrible, except for hitting the threes. But damn he cost the Spurs more Points on the defensive end than he made in 3s. And you give him a B?

Normally you make a good work, but this time you have not done your homework.

RD2191
02-13-2019, 08:38 AM
timvp: Your analysis of Poeltl is dead wrong. His pick and roll defense was bad? Are you kidding me. What he is supposed to do, when every guard rushes past every perimeter defender the Spurs have. He is always put in an impossible position. And on offense? He was rolling all the time, just seldom got the ball, or Mills made very bad passes which were hard to catch. I dont say Poeltl had a great game, but your points of emphasis are dead wrong.

Mills was horrible, except for hitting the threes. But damn he cost the Spurs more Points on the defensive end than he made in 3s. And you give him a B?

Fuck yeah, tear timvp a new one.

monty4329
02-13-2019, 09:06 AM
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8): Your analysis of Poeltl is dead wrong. His pick and roll defense was bad? Are you kidding me. What he is supposed to do, when every guard rushes past every perimeter defender the Spurs have. He is always put in an impossible position. And on offense? He was rolling all the time, just seldom got the ball, or Mills made very bad passes which were hard to catch. I dont say Poeltl had a great game, but your points of emphasis are dead wrong.

Not really. I usually love the combo Poeltl-Mills, they developed a very nice PnR together, and I always watch him carefully as I have some hopes on his future with SA. But he played like shit, there no going around it. I was strongly hoping Pau would get in instead of him, in the second half.

Mills missed a few passes, but he shot well when it was critical not to fall too much behind.

I mildly disagree, though, with the C to DDR. To me he played worse, but maybe I am already so fed up with the guy that anything but D (unfairly) seems too much to me.

Sunmaster14
02-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the grades!

Kobe'sAchilles
02-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Every time I think it's time to tank the other teams out tank us. Fucking Lakers losing to the bleeping Hawks and Clippers trading away their best player. AD can't carry a team to the playoffs. Minnesota just sucks and the Mavs supposedly don't want to play Luka the last month bc they lose their draft pick if they make the playoffs. We are going to make it in by default.

UZER
02-13-2019, 09:59 AM
The Spurs were rolling until Pau showed back up. Haven’t been the same since.

monty4329
02-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Mavs supposedly don't want to play Luka the last month bc they lose their draft pick if they make the playoffs.

WTF you talking about? Kings Plus 4 W-L, Mavs Minus 4 W-L.... Mavs not playing Doncic not to make playoffs ("supposedly"...)? What planet do you live in?

Mugen
02-13-2019, 10:31 AM
:lol I'm pretty happy I don't have to watch this garbage team for the next week and a half tbh, not sure how you muster up the strength to not give every single person an F game in, game out, OP.

Outside of the young guys like Bertans, DWhite, and Poetl, I legit hate everybody on the roster. It's such a slog watching them play and Pop's garbage coaching since the first Toronto game tbh.

spurs555
02-13-2019, 10:47 AM

This tbh

ZeusWillJudge
02-13-2019, 11:27 AM
:lol I'm pretty happy I don't have to watch this garbage team for the next week and a half tbh, not sure how you muster up the strength to not give every single person an F game in, game out, OP.

Outside of the young guys like Bertans, DWhite, and Poetl, I legit hate everybody on the roster. It's such a slog watching them play and Pop's garbage coaching since the first Toronto game tbh.

Well don't get too attached to those young guys. Because even after they waive Pau, they still don't have any cap space. They either have to keep the roster pretty much the way it is for two more seasons, or use one or more of those cheap young players as sweetener to dump a contract.

But look at the bright side: with any luck the Spurs are going to pluck Milos Teodosic out of the buyout pool soon.

Keepin' it real
02-13-2019, 11:42 AM
This game was sweet payback for the 2011 debacle.

widowmaker
02-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Demar Derozan crapped out right after that Raptors game.

spurraider21
02-13-2019, 12:34 PM
This game was sweet payback for the 2011 debacle.
:lmao oh ok

duncan2150
02-13-2019, 12:57 PM
I don't understand why forbes is playing 30 minutes per game, i'm ok with him as 20 minutes player but not more. He can bring some offense but he is bad defensively.

vavvi
02-13-2019, 01:02 PM

More White-related than Pau-related tbh

Kobe'sAchilles
02-13-2019, 01:07 PM
WTF you talking about? Kings Plus 4 W-L, Mavs Minus 4 W-L.... Mavs not playing Doncic not to make playoffs ("supposedly"...)? What planet do you live in?
Idk where I heard it but apparently Cuban didn't want to make the playoffs so he was talking about sitting Luka if they made a run. And the Kings record doesn't matter. They're in the playoffs right now and so are we. I was just talking specifically about the teams not in the playoffs and who could really kick us out. I don't see a team being able to.

monty4329
02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
It is just BS, really, some dumb jurno trying to get clicks. They will play Doncic all the way through, for a million reasons. There is no chance Kings fall below the Mavs with only 25 to go, that is there is no chance Mavs go the PO even with a 17-9 record from now on (which is obviously impossible). The only team that can possibly jump us is the Lakers if the league plans another Lebron-Warriors series, but it would need a massive fix. Besides, I think the Clips will try to get in (the players and coach, not the franchise) and might even make it.

Arcadian
02-13-2019, 04:16 PM
:lol White is literally the MVP of the team. They fell apart when he went out.

BackHome
02-13-2019, 05:55 PM
I see us falling to 8th spot fighting for this spot with the Flakers. I give them the edge cause the NBA wants and needs them to be in the finals.

tonski17
02-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Thanks timvp! I hope Poeltl could keep some copies of tapes after Allstar break.:flag:

slick'81
02-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Gasol with the 16 mil-dnpcd:pop:

Slippy
02-13-2019, 09:19 PM
:lol White is literally the MVP of the team. They fell apart when he went out.

That pop quote "pg by committee "in game thread says as much. Not even counting the fact he spurs best defender as well.