PDA

View Full Version : Porter with 37 points and 10 boards tonight...

SpurPadre
02-13-2019, 11:50 PM
has scored in double figures in all 4 of his games with the Bulls and yet PATFO wouldn't bother with him. "But, but his contract tho! We can't ever take risks!" :cry

"Let's crack jokes about making trades instead!"

GTFO gutless pussies smh.

Pavlov
02-14-2019, 12:02 AM
"Let's act like we can go back in time now."

Rusty
02-14-2019, 12:08 AM
“We don’t need him, we got Lonnie walker :cry”

SpurPadre
02-14-2019, 12:11 AM
“We don’t need him, we got Lonnie walker :cry”

"He'll take shots away from Forbes, who tries hard and makes pennies on the dollar!" :cry

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2019, 12:12 AM
Man you bitch a lot

SpurPadre
02-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Man you bitch a lot

"Don't complain about my Spurs! :cry"

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2019, 12:20 AM
"Don't complain about my Spurs! :cry"

More like “be a man and stop crying on a forum like a whiny bitch so much.”

But hey, whatever helps you get through this hard time in your life.

SpurPadre
02-14-2019, 12:24 AM
More like “be a man and stop crying on a forum like a whiny bitch so much.”

But hey, whatever helps you get through this hard time in your life.

Call it what you want, you're bitching too and triggered by facts instead of making a cogent rebuttal. Why don't you be a man instead of a internet tough guy? This forum isn't just for kissing the team's ass like a blind homer.

Dejounte
02-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Call it what you want, you're bitching too and triggered by facts instead of making a cogent rebuttal. Why don't you be a man instead of a internet tough guy? This forum isn't just for kissing the team's ass like a blind homer.

No ones kissing this team's ass. But someone is being a dumbass cry baby and that's you. All we are doing is calling you out. As well as the other douchebags on this forum who do nothing but cry and troll....duncan2k5 and thegreatshit

ZeusWillJudge
02-14-2019, 12:48 AM
I wonder if any other player ever had 30+10 within four games of the Spurs refusing to trade for them? This could be a Spurs milestone.

SpurPadre
02-14-2019, 12:50 AM
No ones kissing this team's ass. But someone is being a dumbass cry baby and that's you. All we are doing is calling you out. As well as the other douchebags on this forum who do nothing but cry and troll....duncan2k5 and thegreatshit

How is it dumb to be upset about the team being too cautious to not trade for Porter, who would've filled an obvious need? To call someone out for that is ass kissing and hypocritical, they just don't want to admit it.

UnWantedTheory
02-14-2019, 01:42 AM
How is it dumb to be upset about the team being too cautious to not trade for Porter, who would've filled an obvious need? To call someone out for that is ass kissing and hypocritical, they just don't want to admit it.
What is dumb is that you assume to know the inner workings of this FO or that of other teams. It's all speculation, so stop talking in absolutes. You assume they are being cautious yet could very likely have several other reasons for not making any random or rumored move this site constantly pushes. It can be fun speculation, but that is all it is. You are just being whiny. There is a difference.

rasuo214
02-14-2019, 01:55 AM
Unless the Spurs were getting him for Gasol and Patty or the Wizards gave back Porter+ (doubt they would have included Bryant) for DDR then I'm not sure there was an appealing trade there.

timvp
02-14-2019, 03:32 AM
Not that I don't enjoy observing a Spurs fan tantrum now and again but it turned out the Spurs couldn't have realistically landed Otto Porter Jr. What the Wizards got in return (Bobby Portis, a second round pick from a bad team and cap space) is better than what the Spurs could have realistically offered. Portis is a 24-year-old big who has potential to average 20 and 10 in the not too distant future. He's underrated -- he'd probably be regarded as a top flight prospect if he wouldn't have punched Mirotic in the face, tbh. In his first four games with the Wizards, he's averaging 19 and 7 in fewer than 30 minutes per game.

How could the Spurs have topped that offer? Gasol would have had to have been included but he wasn't even a true expiring contract. That $6M+ poison pill would have made the Spurs attach something even better than Portis. That would have been ... what? You're talking something like Gasol, White and a couple first round picks to get the Wizards to answer the phone. No way the Spurs should have offered that to get Porter. And with how the Wizards' roster is put together, they probably still take the Bulls' offer because Satoransky is a decent enough fill-in at point guard and they're stuck with John Wall for the foreseeable future so White isn't even that valuable to them.

GusT15
02-14-2019, 09:38 AM
We had the same conversation with Chinook one month before the trade deadline.
Of course Otto Porter would instantly slide in the Spurs SF slot and possibly lift the team on another level (probably fighting for 3d seed instead of 6th seed).
Of course the front office knew that he was available and would help the team.

We didn't have the assets/cap space/young players to do that trade though so it is what it is.
When you're in the playoffs for 20 straight years it takes a toll on a team's assets,both draft picks,young players and cap space,we all know that.
Saying "Hey look what X player is doing after a trade" is like hiding behind our finger.

Blackhaus
02-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Who cares about Otto, we didn’t have the pieces to make it happened and that contact is still horrible. Nothing to see here, move on

r0drig0lac
02-14-2019, 09:48 AM
We had the same conversation with Chinook one month before the trade deadline.
Of course Otto Porter would instantly slide in the Spurs SF slot and possibly lift the team on another level (probably fighting for 3d seed instead of 6th seed).
Of course the front office knew that he was available and would help the team.

We didn't have the assets/cap space/young players to do that trade though so it is what it is.
When you're in the playoffs for 20 straight years it takes a toll on a team's assets,both draft picks,young players and cap space,we all know that.
Saying "Hey look what X player is doing after a trade" is like hiding behind our finger.

in general, maybe that makes sense, in the case of the Spurs, some decisions made as much difference when the lack of lottery picks.

Dverde
02-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Man you bitch a lot

+1

Spurs Homer
02-14-2019, 10:03 AM
how many threads? how many trades that will never happen, how many times will "spurs" fans want a different team than what is now assembled?

Just jump on another bandwagon Fer chrisssakes -

you hate this team, you hate the FO, you hate the coach, you hate the players,

you envy every other garbage trade, you pine for every goddamn D-leaguer -

fuck - just find a team you like and cry over there!

Keepin' it real
02-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Wow, I thought Porter retired years ago. Great job, Terry!

http://media.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/photo/terry-porter01-040910jpg-83f5a904d1fb7d70.jpg

ZeusWillJudge
02-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Not that I don't enjoy observing a Spurs fan tantrum now and again but it turned out the Spurs couldn't have realistically landed Otto Porter Jr. What the Wizards got in return (Bobby Portis, a second round pick from a bad team and cap space) is better than what the Spurs could have realistically offered. Portis is a 24-year-old big who has potential to average 20 and 10 in the not too distant future. He's underrated -- he'd probably be regarded as a top flight prospect if he wouldn't have punched Mirotic in the face, tbh. In his first four games with the Wizards, he's averaging 19 and 7 in fewer than 30 minutes per game.

How could the Spurs have topped that offer? Gasol would have had to have been included but he wasn't even a true expiring contract. That $6M+ poison pill would have made the Spurs attach something even better than Portis. That would have been ... what? You're talking something like Gasol, White and a couple first round picks to get the Wizards to answer the phone. No way the Spurs should have offered that to get Porter. And with how the Wizards' roster is put together, they probably still take the Bulls' offer because Satoransky is a decent enough fill-in at point guard and they're stuck with John Wall for the foreseeable future so White isn't even that valuable to them.

People just don't understand the world of shit this team has been in due to cap space. And a lot of their cheap young players will be up for new contracts, so the pressure isn't going away. It's way past time for a reality check. This is going to hurt a lot of Spurs fans who have never witnessed a true rebuild. But if PATFO don't bite the bullet, it's going to be miserable for a lot longer.

DPG21920
02-14-2019, 10:26 AM

So what you’re really saying is the Gasol contract is awful

Chinook
02-14-2019, 11:40 AM

I don't think Portis has the value you're implying here. I really wanted him in the 2015 draft an all, but he's an expiring big who hasn't fully asserted himself yet. I'm pretty sure the Bulls would have dumped him for a late-first had someone offered. At best, I think Portis and the second equal the Spurs first. Obviously, you can't overlook fit, so the Wizards may have preferred saving money to getting a second first-rounder, but Gasol, Beli and both firsts feels like a far superior offer to a rebuilding team. It's even more the case if the Wiz have to re-sign Portis for more than the MLE.

R. DeMurre
02-14-2019, 12:58 PM
The Wizards are truly a great example of how not to run a team. Mahinmi is being paid $16 mil this year and next for playing 14 mpg. Compare that to Patty Mills, who makes $11.5mil & plays 24 mpg and is the #1 target of PATFO critics. John Wall will make $38/$41/$44/$47 million in the next four years. Beal and Wall famously don't like one another or enjoy being teammates, but are still together. Portis will likely leave unless they overpay him. The Spurs, after losing Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, and Green in rapid succession are still in a better position that the Wizards, with a better record and a better future.

r0drig0lac
02-14-2019, 01:14 PM
The Wizards are truly a great example of how not to run a team. Mahinmi is being paid $16 mil this year and next for playing 14 mpg. Compare that to Patty Mills, who makes $11.5mil & plays 24 mpg and is the #1 target of PATFO critics. John Wall will make $38/$41/$44/$47 million in the next four years. Beal and Wall famously don't like one another or enjoy being teammates, but are still together. Portis will likely leave unless they overpay him. The Spurs, after losing Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, and Green in rapid succession are still in a better position that the Wizards, with a better record and a better future.

so the basis of comparison now is the Wizards with the worst gm in the league? What's the next comparison? Orlando Magic? who cares about the Wizards? really?

Leetonidas
02-14-2019, 01:16 PM
"why didn't Washington take our garbage for a good, young rotational player?!"

exstatic
02-14-2019, 01:21 PM
so the basis of comparison now is the Wizards with the worst gm in the league? What's the next comparison? Orlando Magic? who cares about the Wizards? really?

Lakers? Knicks?

The point is, there are posters here who say that PATFO is the worst FO in the league. There are far worse ones who made bad transactions WITHOUT a gun pointed at their head like the Spurs had last summer.

r0drig0lac
02-14-2019, 01:25 PM
Lakers? Knicks?

The point is, there are posters here who say that PATFO is the worst FO in the league. There are far worse ones who made bad transactions WITHOUT a gun pointed at their head like the Spurs had last summer.

I do not think anyone really believes they are the worst in the league, although lately they have had several decisions that were pointed out as questionable by the time they happened, today it is possible to make a clear case of a top 5 in the league without PATFO and no impartial person would question

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Lakers? Knicks?

This board's GM ideal is Presti, who's wheeling and dealing, which admittedly is exciting, but never achieves anything, other than losing stars, trading away picks all the time and being way over the tax.

R. DeMurre
02-14-2019, 01:36 PM
This board's GM ideal is Presti, who's wheeling and dealing, which admittedly is exciting, but never achieves anything, other than losing stars, trading away picks all the time and being way over the tax.

Exactly.

R. DeMurre
02-14-2019, 01:52 PM

Nope. Just a simple comparison for critics who dismiss everything the Spurs have accomplished.

With an aging Big 3 and an eye towards the future, the Spurs trade a back up point guard in George Hill for a future DPOY/MVP candidate in Leonard, and a solid rotation player in Bertans. That kind of qualifies as maybe the best trade of the decade... but to critics here, RC is no good at making trades.

Then, after literally hundreds of posts here about how "Big name free agents NEVER go to San Antonio," Aldridge chooses the Spurs over the Lakers and other teams. The Spurs win 67 games, but again--to the critics-- the season is a complete failure because the Spurs don't win an NBA title. Using this logic, 29 teams every season are complete failures... it's just a dumb way to look at things.

Chomag
02-14-2019, 01:54 PM
But we have culture!

timvp
02-14-2019, 02:15 PM
I don't think Portis has the value you're implying here. I really wanted him in the 2015 draft an all, but he's an expiring big who hasn't fully asserted himself yet.13 points and seven rebounds last year in 22 minutes per game. His numbers are up this season. That's pretty asserted, IMO.

I'm pretty sure the Bulls would have dumped him for a late-first had someone offered. At best, I think Portis and the second equal the Spurs first.I have to disagree with both sentences pretty emphatically. The Bulls were telling his agent they were going to lock him up long-term before the Wizards came knocking offering Porter. Since Portis isn't a fit next to Markkanen (both need to be at PF), flipping him for a defensive SF between Markkanen and LaVine made some sense.

If Portis could have been had for a late first round pick, that's what this thread should be about. Forget about Porter, tbh. But, no, I can't imagine that was the case.

Obviously, you can't overlook fit, so the Wizards may have preferred saving money to getting a second first-rounder, but Gasol, Beli and both firsts feels like a far superior offer to a rebuilding team. It's even more the case if the Wiz have to re-sign Portis for more than the MLE.A far superior offer? Gasol and his $6M poison pill, Beli and his $6M dead money that is worth nothing to a rebuilding team and two late-ish first rounders worth more than a potential 20-10 big who probably can be signed for a reasonable deal, a potentially high second rounder and no extra dead money? I don't see how that is superior, much less far superior.

I mean, logically, even if the Wizards valued Portis as only a late first round pick, they'd have to then value $12 million in dead money and a second round pick to be worth a first round pick. Doesn't add up, tbh, even if you undervalue Portis.

Factor in the Wizards' actual situation in which they already have two max contracts on the books so they can't do a full rebuild anyway, the fact that PF is the position they need most and the fact that their FO is feeling heat and can't wait for future first rounders to possibly pay off down the road ... and Portis and second rounder is much more appealing than anything the Spurs could have realistically offered without super overpaying for Porter.

Dverde
02-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Ditka couldn’t have stopped Otto!

objective
02-14-2019, 03:08 PM
I believe there was a report from Lowe (at least as mentioned on a podcast) that the Wizards turned down a deal that involved 1 late first and salary going past this year but turned it down obviously because they valued the tax relief more and considered the late first compared to the second they got as not enough

I would not be surprised if that deal was a Spurs offer involving the Raptors pick. If they had kicked in their own lotto protected first, that could have been enough.

GreekSpursfan
02-14-2019, 05:24 PM
I never pay attention to players stats on teams that have zero pressure to win. Porter is a good player dont get me wrong but those stats are overinflated. This team needs a cornerstone player first, we dont have that, we need to tank and Porter doesn't help with that. All he was gonna end up doing is prolong our mediocrity.

SpurPadre
02-14-2019, 10:56 PM
tbh, I wouldn't complain much about this had Pop not made light of the situation by making jokes about not trading. I mean, in his interview the night before the deadline, he was pretty defiant about not doing anything and not losing sleep over it. It's one thing for fans not losing sleep over it but he's getting paid quite a large sum to lose some sleep over roster decisions on a mediocre team. It rubbed me the wrong way and it opened itself up to think they didn't seriously hard at the deadline. This forum shouldn't be rah rah rah about everything they do or don't do.

slick'81
02-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Who cares?! poodle had o points and 5 boards

TDomination
02-15-2019, 12:40 AM
tbh, I wouldn't complain much about this had Pop not made light of the situation by making jokes about not trading. I mean, in his interview the night before the deadline, he was pretty defiant about not doing anything and not losing sleep over it. It's one thing for fans not losing sleep over it but he's getting paid quite a large sum to lose some sleep over roster decisions on a mediocre team. It rubbed me the wrong way and it opened itself up to think they didn't seriously hard at the deadline. This forum shouldn't be rah rah rah about everything they do or don't do.

One thing I will look forward to when we get a new coach will be the newfound hunger for wanting to be the best. I miss that fire from Pop. I do think he still cares but that fire has definitely dimmed. And after 20 years of winning, it's only natural.

UnWantedTheory
02-15-2019, 01:10 AM
Nope. Just a simple comparison for critics who dismiss everything the Spurs have accomplished.

With an aging Big 3 and an eye towards the future, the Spurs trade a back up point guard in George Hill for a future DPOY/MVP candidate in Leonard, and a solid rotation player in Bertans. That kind of qualifies as maybe the best trade of the decade... but to critics here, RC is no good at making trades.

Then, after literally hundreds of posts here about how "Big name free agents NEVER go to San Antonio," Aldridge chooses the Spurs over the Lakers and other teams. The Spurs win 67 games, but again--to the critics-- the season is a complete failure because the Spurs don't win an NBA title. Using this logic, 29 teams every season are complete failures... it's just a dumb way to look at things.
Completely agree with everything said here.

UnWantedTheory
02-15-2019, 01:17 AM
Joking is what rubbed you the wrong way? You can make light of things and still do your job. It seems you, like many, are just pissy things didn't fall our way so are lashing out. Not everything should be rah rah rah, but something like this shouldn't invoke wah wah wah from you.

Chinook
02-15-2019, 03:37 AM
13 points and seven rebounds last year in 22 minutes per game. His numbers are up this season. That's pretty asserted, IMO.

Not really. It's great for a rookie contract, but when you have to start paying market money for it, it's just meh. It doesn't help that Portis has been an abysmal defender and isn't even net-neutral in most impact stats.

I have to disagree with both sentences pretty emphatically. The Bulls were telling his agent they were going to lock him up long-term before the Wizards came knocking offering Porter. Since Portis isn't a fit next to Markkanen (both need to be at PF), flipping him for a defensive SF between Markkanen and LaVine made some sense.

If Portis could have been had for a late first round pick, that's what this thread should be about. Forget about Porter, tbh. But, no, I can't imagine that was the case.

The Bulls lied to Bobby's agent if they told him that. They were never going to lock him up after drafting two PFs high in back-to-back years. Then again, they did match Lavine's deal, so who knows?

There's zero reason to want the Spurs to prioritize trading for Portis over Porter. It's actually rather weird that you even suggested that. The team doesn't really have room for another guy who doesn't really play well in two-big lineups. Porter as a youngish guy at a position of need locked into a long-term deal made much more sense.

A far superior offer? Gasol and his $6M poison pill, Beli and his $6M dead money that is worth nothing to a rebuilding team and two late-ish first rounders worth more than a potential 20-10 big who probably can be signed for a reasonable deal, a potentially high second rounder and no extra dead money? I don't see how that is superior, much less far superior.

I mean, logically, even if the Wizards valued Portis as only a late first round pick, they'd have to then value $12 million in dead money and a second round pick to be worth a first round pick. Doesn't add up, tbh, even if you undervalue Portis.

It's weird that you're attempting to lump in Beli and Gasol's dead money. Gasol's $6 Million is legit dead, because he'd be cut. They couldn't use that money for trades or to sign other guys. Beli is a useful player on a market contract. The Wizards may not want him, but he'd have a market. Also, they're supposedly planning to re-sign Ariza, so they may not want to completely tank. With Wall's deal and Portis and Ariza being re-signed, I doubt Washington is going to be in play for cap space. I see no reason why they wouldn't want Beli on an expiring deal.

It goes like this:

Bobby Portis -- Not valuable.
2023 second -- Lol
Jabari Parker -- Neutral, ballast

Gasol -- Negative
Toronto pick -- More than enough to dump Gasol's salary
Spurs Pick -- Better than Portis. Currently projected at 19, which is not usually traded away.
Belinelli -- Neutral, maybe slightly negative. About as much value as Korver had, and that dude went for multiple seconds.

And here's the thing you seem to be missing:

Porter -- Close to neutral

The Wizards didn't get a lot for Porter because he wasn't worth a lot. The Bulls package wasn't some really good offer that trumped everything else. It was a handful of lint that nonetheless was better than anyone else was willing to give. Porter is overpaid and somewhat inconsistent (which is why this thread is funny). The Bulls are building through the draft and can afford to use their cap space on Porter, but most teams are paying their best players a lot of money already and can't afford to give their third or fourth option so much. The Spurs could have squeezed him in, but it would have been a lot tighter than most here appreciate. Giving up firsts would have just exacerbated the cap issue. Framing this as "could the Spurs have matched that value" is wrong-headed in my opinion. Beating the Bulls package wasn't the hard part. The hard part was justifying having Porter on the roster at all. I've been reading the analyses of this trade, and I've yet to find someone who really thinks the Bulls paid a lot for Porter. Everything is being framed around the cap.

Factor in the Wizards' actual situation in which they already have two max contracts on the books so they can't do a full rebuild anyway, the fact that PF is the position they need most and the fact that their FO is feeling heat and can't wait for future first rounders to possibly pay off down the road ... and Portis and second rounder is much more appealing than anything the Spurs could have realistically offered without super overpaying for Porter.

I doubt the Wizards FO are feeling heat with Wall's injury. They've been bullet-proof this whole time. They'll likely get a mulligan for all of next year and can decide whether to trade Beal and tank or keep him and gun for a playoff spot. In either case, Beli and picks is just better than Portis and cap space. Beli and Portis a way closer to a wash than you are arguing, and picks are good capital regardless. Either they use the picks to for cheap players or they trade them for vets like they tend to do every year anyway. It's way more useful than a 2023 second-rounder; that's for damned sure.

In any event, trying to acquire Porter would have been a very intense decision that doesn't have an obvious answer. People acting as if it was major failing of PATFO to not make that leap are usually the same people who complain about whatever the team does. I wanted Porter, but I'm also content to watch the team play the draft. They have much bigger problems right now than the lack of a small-forward. They have to fix their coaching and chemistry before worrying about major upgrades. There will still be potential deals in a few months.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2019, 07:37 AM
he looks good if he was more aggressive on offense...

has height and length, something the spurms need

monty4329
02-15-2019, 07:38 AM
Porter's contract is almost as bad as DDR's.

And his performance in meaningless games in Bulls uniform doesn't really tell us anything more about him. Anybody can score 20 in those games.

rascal
02-16-2019, 12:16 PM

This front ofice is very conservative regarding trades. Almost to a point of fearful to make them.

Rocalcio
02-16-2019, 01:34 PM

This tbh