PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay defends Spurs' status: 'We're just building character'

Uriel
02-15-2019, 07:49 PM
The San Antonio Spurs (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs), while continuing to hang on to the vestiges of their golden era by boasting the NBA's longest active playoff streak at 21 straight seasons, are also familiar with a new normal: the postseason bubble.

As the seventh-place team in the Western Conference entering the All-Star break, they sit in the same spot in which they entered the playoffs last season before their first-round ouster in five games by the eventual champion Golden State Warriors (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors).

Rudy Gay (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3005/rudy-gay), among a trio of veteran leaders the Spurs look to following the departures of the Big Three that led them to four NBA championships, says they aren't tucking their tails into the abyss of the history books anytime soon.

"I'd love the storybook, where we'd get together and win millions of games right away," said Gay, speaking to the San Antonio Express-News (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/mike_finger/article/Spurs-core-still-hopes-time-is-on-its-side-13618169.php?src=hp_totn). "But it's going to take time. We're just building character right now, that's all."

Gay said the losses don't reflect any rebuild mode.This week's All-Star break translates as 10 needed days off for the Spurs after a Tuesday win at Memphis that ended a four-game losing streak.

"Of course we're trying to win now," Gay said. "I mean, there are two big factors. One, we're a new team. Two, this is not the East. You know what I'm saying? You don't just get together and start beating everybody."

The Spurs' annual Rodeo Road Trip had been particularly rough this season, as they lost the first four games of the eight-game trip by an average of almost 21 points.

Tuesday's win helped them hold on to a place that would clinch a playoff berth but not by much in a West in which the top eight teams are separated by only 10 games.

"It's definitely not too late for us," Gay said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26004444/just-building-character

Dancelot
02-15-2019, 07:52 PM
I like Rudy a lot, I hope he hangs around.

GAustex
02-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Rudy is a flat out baller
He ain’t scared
Wish he was younger but it is what it is

slick'81
02-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Hell retire a spur

HWoodNixon
02-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Fluff piece. Did Duncan or big 3 ever make excuses for mediocrity?

Dex
02-15-2019, 08:32 PM
I've loved this guy's attitude from day one with the Spurs.

As for his game...he has bought into the system and is playing the most efficient basketball of his career. That's something to be said for a guy who has a career reputation of being a chucker / empty scorer / whatever you want to call it.

The only issue with Gay right now is his health...which isn't entirely a surprise considering he came to us off an achilles tear. When he is healthy, he is a difference maker for this team.

I'm cool with him sticking around as long he wants to...providing he is able to contribute, of course.

NASpurs
02-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Hell retire a spur

He knows where his next loyalty contract is going to come from. Gotta fluff up your employers.

TheGreatYacht
02-15-2019, 08:40 PM
He knows where his next loyalty contract is going to come from. Gotta fluff up your employers.
This 100% :lol

dbestpro
02-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Would rather see them build a defense than character.

TDomination
02-15-2019, 10:00 PM
I really like Rudy as well. I hope he can stay healthy and stay with spurs for the remaining of his career.

gambit1990
02-15-2019, 10:32 PM
too bad demar isn’t.

Rusty
02-15-2019, 10:46 PM
there are things more important than winning championship....gotta build that culture and character so we can hand out contracts to these bums

Othyus Lalanne
02-16-2019, 01:29 AM

Didn't Tony once say to a french newspapers that the Spurs are not contenders anymore?

Spurtacular
02-16-2019, 01:36 AM
Hell retire a spur

Doubt it.

spurs10
02-16-2019, 01:38 AM
Rudy Gay is essential to any success this team might enjoy. I still hope to see them build some momentum going into the playoffs. If they can land the 6th seed we have a chance of moving forward. Hope he sticks around!

Ignazzz
02-16-2019, 01:58 AM
Is Rudy Gay better then Aminu.

( included health concern)?

BackHome
02-16-2019, 02:32 AM
Yes

monty4329
02-16-2019, 02:52 AM
Gay proved many people wrong. How many expected him to be this good? Especially the attitude and the effort. Sure, next summer is his last chance to get a fat contract. Still, he is been great overall. Hope he stays and gets his money.

emanueldavidginobili
02-16-2019, 02:59 AM
I like Rudy a lot sad that he wasted his prime years on loser teams. Who knows what kind of a career he would of had if he got drafted by the Spurs

monty4329
02-16-2019, 03:03 AM
I like Rudy a lot sad that he wasted his prime years on loser teams. Who knows what kind of a career he would of had if he got drafted by the Spurs

in fairness to Memphis, they beat the Spurs in the PO (I think maybe Gay was injured in that series)

phxspurfan
02-16-2019, 03:58 AM
Love how he said this is not the East. Someone else needs to say it besides Charles Barkley. That entire conference sucks ass and the league should at least make an attempt at a. making the playoffs more even (no conference seedings, league-wide seeding), and b. evening out the schedules/get rid of conferences due to chartered airline travel. Evening out the all star game was a good first step.

Meanwhile that idiot GOAT wannabe LeBron thinks he can just jet out West and make a finals team by himself. Can't even get his team in playoff seeding. What a loser. Always gifted #1 seed over in that JV league. And much, much less wear and tear on those teams and himself seeing as how they get to play a cupcake regular season schedule full of the Nets, Knicks and Heat, + face bullshit 40-42 playoff teams in the first rounds like bye weeks every year, like the Wizards or Pacers or whatever

r0drig0lac
02-16-2019, 04:51 AM
wow a shot at Lebron

Would rather see them build a defense than character.

lmao

Gay proved many people wrong. How many expected him to be this good? Especially the attitude and the effort. Sure, next summer is his last chance to get a fat contract. Still, he is been great overall. Hope he stays and gets his money.

I certainly thought so, actually I wanted to Rudy in SA since 2016 (with Tyreke Evans, at that time people believed he was a black hole and low qi player in ST), we possibly would have won another championship.

SouthTexasRancher
02-16-2019, 06:27 AM
Rudy is definitely a good guy. I hope he ends his career as a Spur. I also hope he gets a ring here. Maybe behind the scenes he is helping DD through his month long slump.

dontouchmebwo
02-16-2019, 07:50 AM
https://youtu.be/F0KjUvYJXkI

John B
02-16-2019, 08:24 AM
I hope he sticks around. He understands we’ll be much better next year

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Didn't Tony once say to a french newspapers that the Spurs are not contenders anymore?

then kawhi came along, fkn dog of a kent coatride again.... why didnt he bolt in fa when he had the chance? oh yeh thats right, the spurs were contenders again...

Dverde
02-16-2019, 09:42 AM
https://youtu.be/F0KjUvYJXkI

A more appropriate film clip for this season...

https://youtu.be/TPSzV4IbwSg

You're building a rat ship here. A vessel for sea goin' snitches. And if you think you're preparing these minnows for manhood you better think again. Because I say you are killing the very spirit this institution proclaims it instills! What a sham. What kind of a show are you guys puttin' on here today.

cd021
02-16-2019, 10:07 AM
I don't think it's so much building character as this team has been hit pretty hard by injuries and is only but so deep to win.

Murray going down gave opportunity to Forbes and White- both of whom have exceeded expectations and Poeltl went from being being the 3rd center and getting DNPs to being a key part of the bench.

After the top 9 the depth falls off significantly and they struggle to win games without players like Gay and White.

tmtcsc
02-16-2019, 10:23 AM
there are things more important than winning championship....

https://media.giphy.com/media/i1JSXl0MfeRd6/giphy.gif

SpursBig3s
02-16-2019, 10:30 AM

no, bc we were never mediocre wth them?

Mugen
02-16-2019, 11:17 AM

:lol Everybody loving Rudy now but wait till he gets that 3yr/20mil per contract this offseason because Pop needs another leader in the locker room.

Chomag
02-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Rudy would have been a top 10 current NBA player if he could have just stayed healthy no doubt.

Dverde
02-16-2019, 12:48 PM
:lol Everybody loving Rudy now but wait till he gets that 3yr/20mil per contract this offseason because Pop needs another leader in the locker room.

3 years for 20M seems more than reasonable to me. That’s almost three years of Rudy for the price of 1 year of Gasol.

HWoodNixon
02-16-2019, 03:58 PM
no, bc we were never mediocre wth them?
2009-2011 say hello.

Mugen
02-16-2019, 04:01 PM
3 years for 20M seems more than reasonable to me. That’s almost three years of Rudy for the price of 1 year of Gasol.

:lol I said 20mil PER season tbh, the ol Pau/Patty overpay.

Dverde
02-16-2019, 04:03 PM
:lol I said 20mil PER season tbh, the ol Pau/Patty overpay.

Well atleast the last season will be partial guaranteed :lol

TheGreatYacht
02-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Well atleast the last season will be partial guaranteed :lol
Ah, that'll definitely make his contract very tradeable - PATFO vanilla posters

ZeusWillJudge
02-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Yep. I like Rudy as a player. People thinking that he's going to sign for $5M per season, so that he gets to retire a Spur? Yeah, no. I don't think they'll give him 3/60, but I can sure see them handing him something like 3/36, with the last year part guaranteed like Pau's deal. I like him, but I wouldn't throw that at him when they have young talent to develop.

With his comments about building character and how long that takes, you do have to wonder how long he thinks he'll be in the league. Right now he's at exactly the same point in his career that Grant Hill was in when he went to Phoenix, and Hill stayed healthy for three more seasons. Rudy only played 30 games in '16-'17, and 56 games last season. If he has three healthy years ahead, I'd say that's about all he or the Spurs could hope for.

ceperez
02-16-2019, 11:03 PM
Yep. I like Rudy as a player. People thinking that he's going to sign for $5M per season, so that he gets to retire a Spur? Yeah, no. I don't think they'll give him 3/60, but I can sure see them handing him something like 3/36, with the last year part guaranteed like Pau's deal. I like him, but I wouldn't throw that at him when they have young talent to develop.

With his comments about building character and how long that takes, you do have to wonder how long he thinks he'll be in the league. Right now he's at exactly the same point in his career that Grant Hill was in when he went to Phoenix, and Hill stayed healthy for three more seasons. Rudy only played 30 games in '16-'17, and 56 games last season. If he has three healthy years ahead, I'd say that's about all he or the Spurs could hope for.

Gay knows his limitations. He's likely to sign again with the Spurs.

ZeusWillJudge
02-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Gay knows his limitations. He's likely to sign again with the Spurs.

For how much? If you don't want to make a prediction, how much do you think he's worth? At what price does signing him hurt the team?

I think he'll sign with the Spurs, too. Or at least try to. My question is whether he would agree to be a bargain purchase. Would he agree to $5M per year for two seasons?

spurs10
02-16-2019, 11:42 PM
For how much? If you don't want to make a prediction, how much do you think he's worth? At what price does signing him hurt the team?

I think he'll sign with the Spurs, too. Or at least try to. My question is whether he would agree to be a bargain purchase. Would he agree to $5M per year for two seasons? Naw he already gave the team a break when he signed. He'll get a good contract.

slick'81
02-17-2019, 04:07 AM

I think he'll sign with the Spurs, too. Or at least try to. My question is whether he would agree to be a bargain purchase. Would he agree to $5M per year for two seasons?

Patty mills money sounds about right

Chris
02-20-2019, 02:42 AM
https://twitter.com/RudyGay/status/1098116639101464576

Wonder who he is calling out?

timtonymanu
02-20-2019, 03:02 AM
Rudy would have been a top 10 current NBA player if he could have just stayed healthy no doubt.

Wut

kaji157
02-20-2019, 09:56 AM
He'll command the max the Spurs can give him as an early bird, which is about 17.5 a year, expect a three year deal, if third is partially guaranteed better, and probably max raises. That would be about 3 years 57 millions.

GreekSpursfan
02-20-2019, 10:21 AM
I like Rudy Gay at 3 years 57m if we are to tank for the next 3 years. He can help us build the no defense character he's so familiar with. Some might say that i'm a Gay hater with my previous statement but i like the guy, the problem is you can't win with him.

Dverde
02-20-2019, 11:30 AM
I would rather get a discounted price or cut him loose. Something in the 10-12M per year range. I think we need to use that money elsewhere. Unfortunately, we’ll probably pay him much more. He does have value being the DeRozan’s therapist.

r0drig0lac
02-20-2019, 12:55 PM
I like Rudy Gay at 3 years 57m if we are to tank for the next 3 years. He can help us build the no defense character he's so familiar with. Some might say that i'm a Gay hater with my previous statement but i like the guy, the problem is you can't win with him.

warriors would win with him on the team, even because they are the only league team that can "win" currently

TimDunkem
02-20-2019, 02:12 PM
He'll get a loyalty deal for sure.

Can't wait to watch him break down while making a shit ton ala Gasol in a year or so.

superbigtime
02-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Rudy is a man.

dbestpro
02-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Rudy is an often hurt man.

GreekSpursfan
02-20-2019, 06:18 PM
warriors would win with him on the team, even because they are the only league team that can "win" currently

When you have 5 other all stars of course you can win with him but we have none(LMA is not an all star this season, Gobert should've been there) and he will close games for us then good luck even getting out of the first round let alone win something. Lets not forget that we have the worst Gay version possible, an injured, aged one. I like him for tank purposes though.

RC_Drunkford
02-21-2019, 05:49 AM
When you have 5 other all stars of course you can win with him but we have none(LMA is not an all star this season, Gobert should've been there) and he will close games for us then good luck even getting out of the first round let alone win something. Lets not forget that we have the worst Gay version possible, an injured, aged one. I like him for tank purposes though.

:lmaodid you watch the All-Star game? :smokin

8FOR!3
02-21-2019, 12:44 PM
I would rather get a discounted price or cut him loose. Something in the 10-12M per year range. I think we need to use that money elsewhere. Unfortunately, we’ll probably pay him much more. He does have value being the DeRozan’s therapist.

10-12 makes sense. If he wants more then I'd change the convo about a 1-2 year deal instead of 3+. 19 million sounds like too much for what you're getting (honestly, way too much considering he can't stay on the court.) If he wants 19 mil I'd give him a 1 year deal, 15 maybe a 2 year deal, but 10-12 is what I'd comfortably pay for 2-3 years.