PDA

View Full Version : The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

spurraider21
02-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I like this show.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e3/e3ef23b51359131729d24e8204bb6e1c8f05ab87d49d9ca84a 26b9f7e4587b8e.jpg

Just finished season 2 this weekend. Good writing, great characters. The show is pretty funny but ironically enough it's the actual standup bits that aren't all that funny (though its understandable that tv show writers arent going to simultaneously write a bunch of good standup material). Easily the best amazon original.

Would recommend.

SpursforSix
02-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Was seriously thinking about starting it. My wife started watching it and I didn't think I'd care for it but from the episodes I've half paid attention to, it looks like a smart comedy.

mrsmaalox
02-18-2019, 04:26 PM
I loved the first season, raved to my nephew and his wife about it, so they binged it in time to start the second season. We were all looking forward to it, then it started and after the second episode I got distracted and never went back. Haven’t given it another thought, and its weird that the same happened to my nephew. I wonder why?

SpursforSix
02-18-2019, 04:31 PM
I loved the first season, raved to my nephew and his wife about it, so they binged it in time to start the second season. We were all looking forward to it, then it started and after the second episode I got distracted and never went back. Haven’t given it another thought, and its weird that the same happened to my nephew. I wonder why?

I've done that with several series. The ones that go week to week. Even though I find something I like, I'm always looking for something better. I've got a queue with tons of "must see" movies and series. But seems like I always spend 10 minutes looking for something else to watch.

Do you watch that show Frankie and Grace? This is another one that my wife watches and the episodes I've seen are pretty outrageous. I just don't really like Jane Fonda.

Will Hunting
02-18-2019, 04:32 PM
I can't take the show seriously. The main actress will always be the whore from House of Cards in my mind.

SpursforSix
02-18-2019, 04:33 PM
I can't take the show seriously. The main actress will always be the whore from House of Cards in my mind.

now that's a show I've been meaning to watch

Will Hunting
02-18-2019, 04:35 PM
now that's a show I've been meaning to watch
Have you not seen it at all? If not, just watch the first 2 seasons and take my word for it that the show falls apart after that.

If you're saying you still need to watch the final season, spare yourself the disappointment.

SpursforSix
02-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Have you not seen it at all? If not, just watch the first 2 seasons and take my word for it that the show falls apart after that.

If you're saying you still need to watch the final season, spare yourself the disappointment.

I have not seen a single episode. Partly due to what you said. That it started to fall off. So I didn't want to commit to it.

spurraider21
02-18-2019, 04:40 PM

this is very true.

the first 2 seasons are, without hyperbole, top tier TV. sorta got progressively worse. i watched season 3 and it was fine. season 4 was bad. i gave up about 1/3 through season 5. let season 6 come and go without batting an eye

spurraider21
02-18-2019, 04:41 PM
that was my first thought when my wife started watching the show too.

but she kills it in mrs maisel. you'll get past it pretty quick imo

DMC
02-18-2019, 04:46 PM
you got to be half a fag to watch more than a couple episodes

Pavlov
02-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Liked the first season. Great cast. Haven't started the second. Not in a hurry.

Will Hunting
02-18-2019, 04:50 PM
this is very true.

the first 2 seasons are, without hyperbole, top tier TV. sorta got progressively worse. i watched season 3 and it was fine. season 4 was bad. i gave up about 1/3 through season 5. let season 6 come and go without batting an eye
There wasn't enough material for 3 full seasons with him as president. There should have been 3-4 seasons with him clawing his way to the white house and then 1 season tops where he's president.

As bad as you probably think Season 6 was, believe it or not it was even worse :lol. I don't think it was ever going to be good without Spacey but it was an extremely weak effort.

Spurminator
02-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Season one 8/10
Season two 6/10

Probably won't miss it if I don't watch future episodes. It turned into background noise pretty quickly into season 2 but still had its moments. I honestly couldn't tell you much of what happened and we finished it 2 weeks ago.

spurraider21
02-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Season one 8/10
Season two 6/10

Probably won't miss it if I don't watch future episodes. It turned into background noise pretty quickly into season 2 but still had its moments. I honestly couldn't tell you much of what happened and we finished it 2 weeks ago.
you're just an anti-semitic misogynist

Spurminator
02-18-2019, 05:00 PM
you're just an anti-semitic misogynist

Wait, they're Jewish?

spurraider21
02-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Wait, they're Jewish?
yeah i almost missed that, but they left some subtle clues i was able to pick up on

Spurminator
02-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Typical Jews and their subliminal messaging.

Millennial_Messiah
02-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Who honestly has time for TV shows? I barely have time for football and movies.

spurraider21
02-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Who honestly has time for TV shows? I barely have time for football and movies.
nights and weekends tbh

BD24
02-18-2019, 07:39 PM
giving this a shot now, first episode was pretty decent tbh.

mrsmaalox
02-18-2019, 10:56 PM
I've done that with several series. The ones that go week to week. Even though I find something I like, I'm always looking for something better. I've got a queue with tons of "must see" movies and series. But seems like I always spend 10 minutes looking for something else to watch.

Do you watch that show Frankie and Grace? This is another one that my wife watches and the episodes I've seen are pretty outrageous. I just don't really like Jane Fonda.
Nah I saw 2 episodes of Frankie and Grace and just couldn’t make myself watch any more of them. Thats one more episode than I spent on House of Cards lol. I like the limited series best (Waco, Big Little Lies, Sharp Objects, Escape From Dannemora—all excellent) because my attention span is too short to keep up with multiple seasons of anything. I’m going to check out Miracle Workers tonight :)

I should prob keep a list of shows I see recommended but I just don’t watch that much tv. Between one limited series, PBS, Turner Classic Movies and Spurs games I get pretty much as much tv time as I can handle.

Pavlov
02-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Nah I saw 2 episodes of Frankie and Grace and just couldn’t make myself watch any more of them. Thats one more episode than I spent on House of Cards lol. I like the limited series best (Waco, Big Little Lies, Sharp Objects, Escape From Dannemora—all excellent) because my attention span is too short to keep up with multiple seasons of anything. I’m going to check out Miracle Workers tonight :)

I should prob keep a list of shows I see recommended but I just don’t watch that much tv. Between one limited series, PBS, Turner Classic Movies and Spurs games I get pretty much as much tv time as I can handle.The FX limited series I've seen (haven't seen the OJ one) have been really good. Looking forward to the Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon one.

Waco was a disappointment because it veered too far from the actual story, but really good performances.

mrsmaalox
02-19-2019, 10:02 AM
The FX limited series I've seen (haven't seen the OJ one) have been really good. Looking forward to the Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon one.

Waco was a disappointment because it veered too far from the actual story, but really good performances.

I like the FX series because they are all cartoony and campy. My favorite has been Feud: Bette and Joan. Of course I love old Hollywood and can pretty much tell you anything there is know about these 2 ladies, so I really loved the snarkiness and it seemed to jive with everything I’d ever heard about the making of “Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?”. The only real person who was butthurt about their portrayal was Olivia de Havilland, but what else would one expect from an old drama queen? :)

Frank Dux
02-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Rarest of rarest moments in which my wife and I can watch a show that we both find to be funny.

SpursforSix
02-19-2019, 11:00 AM

I should prob keep a list of shows I see recommended but I just don’t watch that much tv. Between one limited series, PBS, Turner Classic Movies and Spurs games I get pretty much as much tv time as I can handle.

My attention span has definitely gotten shorter. I've gotten to the point where I'd prefer a series in 6 episodes or a documentary in 4. Seems like most of the docs I've watched that are longer always feel like they've been stretched out a couple episodes too long. I assume that this is all about contracts and money but I'd prefer that the director just shoot and deliver however many episodes he believe are best for show. Whether it's 3, 5, 6...whatever.

Spurminator
02-19-2019, 01:30 PM
The FX limited series I've seen (haven't seen the OJ one) have been really good.

The episode of the OJ series that focuses on Marcia Clark (I think ep. 6) is one of the best hours of television I've ever seen.

Will Hunting
02-19-2019, 01:47 PM
The episode of the OJ series that focuses on Marcia Clark (I think ep. 6) is one of the best hours of television I've ever seen.
The casting for that series was phenomenal. I thought Cuba Gooding did just an OK job as OJ but everyone else was perfect for their role (Travolta especially as Shapiro).

Pavlov
02-19-2019, 02:09 PM

The casting for that series was phenomenal. I thought Cuba Gooding did just an OK job as OJ but everyone else was perfect for their role (Travolta especially as Shapiro).

Thanks, I'll go back to that one at some point. Sounds like it's on par with the Getty and Versace series.

Spurminator
02-19-2019, 02:25 PM
I liked the Versace series maybe slightly better, but probably because I didn't know anything about it going in.

Pavlov
02-19-2019, 02:36 PM
I liked that Versace really fleshed out the characters of the victims and those around them (Judith Light and Mike Farrell in particular were fantastic). I thought dedicating the style of some episodes to Miami Vice and the like was a nice artistic touch. The only thing that really disappointed was that Cunanan's end was altered for dramatic effect. I thought the real suicide story was a perfect statement on what a coward he was.

cd021
02-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Thought the pilot was great but the first season progressively lost steam. Been sitting on the season finale for like a month trying to finish it. Probably won't watch season 2 tbh.