PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Retirement Tours Seem Contrived

DMC
02-23-2019, 06:22 PM
I remember Michael Jordan's retirement ceremonies and how even then I felt they were over-the-top bulshit. Now I see Dwyane Wade with his Dollar Store retirement tour, changing jerseys with other players add to that the way Kobe Bryant was paraded around like a fucking pope of Team Cancer prior to him finally being taken off the payroll. This shit seems so contrived, I realize a lot of this is NBA marketing and some of it is just individuals hoping to have more marketability after retirement so they can continue to have a high standard of living. It just really seems to take away from what's going on in the NBA when some are doing everything in their power to pull the cameras to themselves - focus is put on these guys who haven't really been that effective in the past several years.

Chucho
02-23-2019, 09:36 PM
I remember Michael Jordan's retirement ceremonies and how even then I felt they were over-the-top bulshit. Now I see Dwyane Wade with his Dollar Store retirement tour, changing jerseys with other players add to that the way Kobe Bryant was paraded around like a fucking pope of Team Cancer prior to him finally being taken off the payroll. This shit seems so contrived, I realize a lot of this is NBA marketing and some of it is just individuals hoping to have more marketability after retirement so they can continue to have a high standard of living. It just really seems to take away from what's going on in the NBA when some are doing everything in their power to pull the cameras to themselves - focus is put on these guys who haven't really been that effective in the past several years.

The NBA has stolen Dana White's model- sell your product the way the WWE does. Make everything, no matter how minute, "historic" and overhype the current status of TOSBs. All they need to do now to fully do Dana White ripping off the fake sport is sign a former wrestler and hope he becomes their biggest draw ever.

Spurtacular
02-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Giving Kobe a retirement tour and not a same-caliber player like Paul Pierce a retirement tour speaks to the state of NBA marketing / manipulation.

baseline bum
02-23-2019, 10:02 PM
The NBA has stolen Dana White's model- sell your product the way the WWE does. Make everything, no matter how minute, "historic" and overhype the current status of TOSBs. All they need to do now to fully do Dana White ripping off the fake sport is sign a former wrestler and hope he becomes their biggest draw ever.

They did the same embarrassing shit with Dr J and Kareem in their last year. I still remember the sour look on Kareem's face when he accepted the Spurs gift of some shitkicker boots at center court before a game.

Spurtacular
02-23-2019, 10:13 PM
They did the same embarrassing shit with Dr J and Kareem in their last year. I still remember the sour look on Kareem's face when he accepted the Spurs gift of some shitkicker boots at center court before a game.

At least they were top twenty talents with about twenty years experience and still playing at a high level. Wade and Dirk are just chasing money and embarrassing themselves.

DMC
02-23-2019, 10:52 PM
At least they were top twenty talents with about twenty years experience and still playing at a high level. Wade and Dirk are just chasing money and embarrassing themselves.

I remember when I was so fucking tired of seeing Kareem looking like a zombie going up and down the court. When big centers get to that level it's painful to watch them show up on the bench again every year until they are 45 years old, knees taped and ice on everything.

The ceremony should be "It's about fucking time you stopped being a hanger on"

Spurtacular
02-23-2019, 10:53 PM
I remember when I was so fucking tired of seeing Kareem looking like a zombie going up and down the court. When big centers get to that level it's painful to watch them show up on the bench again every year until they are 45 years old, knees taped and ice on everything.

The ceremony should be "It's about fucking time you stopped being a hanger on"

Give the guy a break; he had to carry Earvin's ass on the downhill of his career. Of course, it helped they were in a weak-ass conference.

CitizenDwayne
02-24-2019, 12:42 AM
I agree. It’s bullshit.

Chris
02-24-2019, 02:45 AM
Wade was untouchable (Donaghy refs) in 2006 and will always be a 'top guy' cash cow for the NBA. This is not surprising in the least.

Clipper Nation
02-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Giving Kobe a retirement tour and not a same-caliber player like Paul Pierce a retirement tour speaks to the state of NBA marketing / manipulation.
Doc gave TOSB Pierce a retirement tour with way more playing time than he deserved.

InRareForm
02-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Wade was a dirty player