PDA

View Full Version : Trump’s Trade Chief Lectures His Boss and Gets an Earful in Return

RandomGuy
02-24-2019, 09:41 AM
(cringe)

That was... embarrassing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-22/trump-s-trade-chief-lectures-his-boss-and-gets-earful-in-return

An exasperated Robert Lighthizer, the U.S. trade representative, tried to gently educate his boss, Donald Trump, on the meaning of a “memorandum of understanding” in the Oval Office on Friday, leading to a presidential lecture in front of television cameras and a top Chinese official.

The exchange between the president and his top trade negotiator unfolded Friday when the president was asked during a meeting with a Chinese trade delegation about how long so-called memorandums of understanding would last in an eventual accord with Beijing. Negotiators have been drafting MOUs on areas such as agriculture, non-tariff barriers, services, technology transfer, currency and intellectual property as the two nations work toward a deal.

Trump told gathered reporters that the memorandums would “be very short term. I don’t like MOUs because they don’t mean anything. To me, they don’t mean anything.”

Lighthizer then jumped in to defend the strategy, with Trump looking on. “An MOU is a binding agreement between two people,” he said. “It’s detailed. It covers everything in great detail. It’s a legal term. It’s a contract.”

But the president, unswayed, fired back at Lighthizer. “By the way I disagree,” Trump said.

The top Chinese negotiator, Vice Premier Liu He, laughed out loud.

“The real question is, Bob,” Trump said, “how long will it take to put that into a final binding contract?”

Watch the exchange. It is worse than the above summary indicates.

BD24
02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
I don't usaully pay attention to what boots post, but this was actually pretty funny :lol

Trump splitting hairs over the name of the agreement even though the agreement will be exactly the same. The trade chief agreeing to change the name because he is dealing with a petulant child :lol

Winehole23
02-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Utterly predictable. Lighthizer should have known that showing up the boss on TV wouldn't end well for him.

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Utterly predictable. Lighthizer should have known that showing up the boss on TV wouldn't end well for him.

i think he had to because Trump was saying the agreement was short term and didn't mean anything.

Winehole23
02-24-2019, 11:12 AM
I get why Lighthizer did it, even see the wisdom of doing so, but this is Trump we're dealing with.

pgardn
02-24-2019, 11:20 AM
God what an idiot.

How does anyone work for the orange retard...

OK because our idiot in chief can’t understand commonly accepted terms we will change the name of the term for him.
I have never liked the looks of a capital Q . It’s an ugly letter. Please change it.

boutons_deux
02-24-2019, 11:25 AM
i think he had to because Trump was saying the agreement was short term and didn't mean anything.

of course Lighthizer was right, and Trash was wrong as always,

but Lighthizer should know by now silently to let Trash run his lying, ignorant mouth, and then see what actually happens.

koriwhat
02-24-2019, 02:49 PM
of course Lighthizer was right, and Trash was wrong as always,

but Lighthizer should know by now silently to let Trash run his lying, ignorant mouth, and then see what actually happens.

yall are upset over a title? wow yall are spineless indeed.

Pavlov
02-24-2019, 03:04 PM
yall are upset over a title? wow yall are spineless indeed.Trump was upset over a title. He is spineless indeed.

koriwhat
02-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Trump was upset over a title. He is spineless indeed.

it's a title... who cares? yall are so fucking petty.

koriwhat
02-24-2019, 04:01 PM
:lmao

i've come to the conclusion that i have put myself in this position here on ST where i am surrounded by weak dudes like yourself; it's all on me for sticking around this lame fucking board tbh. this board has always had its fair share of trolls but these days it's just a bunch of weak willed, weak minded, and spineless "men" like yourself here playing zombie activists. it's sickening!

Pavlov
02-24-2019, 04:23 PM
it's a title... who cares?Trump cares. a lot.
yall are so fucking petty.Trump so fucking petty.

TarantinoRezDog
02-24-2019, 07:03 PM
i've come to the conclusion that i have put myself in this position here on ST where i am surrounded by weak dudes like yourself; it's all on me for sticking around this lame fucking board tbh. this board has always had its fair share of trolls but these days it's just a bunch of weak willed, weak minded, and spineless "men" like yourself here playing zombie activists. it's sickening!

How can you call people weak when got arms the width of broomsticks? Bet you never lifted over 50 pounds in your life.

BD24
02-24-2019, 07:25 PM
How can you call people weak when got arms the width of broomsticks? Bet you never lifted over 50 pounds in your life.
He can probably eek out about 4 or 5 reps with the bar tbh.

koriwhat
02-25-2019, 02:53 PM

you have no clue what a strong mentality is because you're one of the weak fucks i speak of. you try to claim i'm speaking about your physicality when i have said it numerous times over that yall are weak mentally.

He can probably eek out about 4 or 5 reps with the bar tbh.

says the dude who wouldn't show up at my shop nor the park. yeah you big talking bitchass.