PDA

View Full Version : These guys are bad and they can’t help it

sananspursfan21
02-25-2019, 10:04 PM
No one to blame. They just aren’t good. I’ve defended our guys all season but it’s time to hang it up. This isn’t a cliff jump or a Spurs bashing post or a woe is Spurs fan post. I’ll still watch and love the team and proudly proclaim my fandom. But my hopes of the 18-19 rendition of the Spurs being anything but bad are dashed. Teams like the Kings deserve our spot in the playoff race way more anyway

Jsmoothexpress
02-25-2019, 10:08 PM
No one to blame. They just aren’t good. I’ve defended our guys all season but it’s time to hang it up. This isn’t a cliff jump or a Spurs bashing post or a woe is Spurs fan post. I’ll still watch and love the team and proudly proclaim my fandom. But my hopes of the 18-19 rendition of the Spurs being anything but bad are dashed. Teams like the Kings deserve our spot in the playoff race way more anyway

Uriel

GreekSpursfan
Probably the most reallstic take :tu

sananspursfan21
02-25-2019, 10:10 PM

:lmao

timtonymanu

Yeah he’s done after this season

spurs10
Well they scores 29 less points on us, so it's a huge improvement.

sananspursfan21
02-25-2019, 10:12 PM
Yeah he’s done after this season

I guess in fairness to Pop, a lot of good looks just rimmed out. But how do you explain last night? Or the rodeo trip altogether? Love the Spurs, no ill intent, but they’re done this year.

Twisted_Dawg
02-25-2019, 10:12 PM
No one to blame??? How about Pop and RC starting with the contracts given to Gasol and Mills, then followed by the worst trade in Spurs history?

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-25-2019, 10:13 PM
:pop: It's time to step away from the game and focus our efforts on the sexist, homophobic, xenophobic tyrant in the White House

TheGreatYacht
02-25-2019, 10:14 PM
No one to blame??? How about Pop and RC starting with the contracts given to Gasol and Mills, then followed by the worst trade in Spurs history?
This. Wouldnt be surprised if RC's wife was part of the package to Alpha Masai

GreekSpursfan
02-25-2019, 10:21 PM

Are you familiar with the person called Uncle Dennis? The contracts i agree.

sananspursfan21
02-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Oooooook, no one on the court to blame

timtonymanu
02-25-2019, 10:23 PM

:tu

spursistan
02-25-2019, 10:24 PM

SouthTexasRancher
02-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Well said. :toast

slick'81
02-25-2019, 10:31 PM
We fucking suck and yet 8th place is probably still attainable .Spurs are soo trash on the road

zhugelianges
02-25-2019, 10:39 PM
Still believe we are clinched to the playoffs

Have expected these days are coming and just accept the fact Spurs are no more contender

slick'81
02-25-2019, 10:41 PM

Have expected these days are coming and just accept the fact Spurs are no more contender

race to the shitty 8th spot nobody wants beings

dbestpro
02-25-2019, 10:43 PM
Pop use to have a philosophy where he would put players in situations where they were most likely to succeed.........Not so much, anymore.

tbdog
02-25-2019, 10:47 PM
At least we are not the Lakers. They are desperate to win and they keep losing.

Beartrucci
02-25-2019, 10:48 PM
race to the shitty 8th spot nobody wants beings

Let lebron get swept and us a better pick tbh. Making playoffs is completely pointless right now. People say playoff experience, but what experience is KD torching you for 40 every game and sending you home in a week after 4 non competitive games?

Denver would be good playoff experience though if we could somehow land in 7th spot. But damn 8th would be such a waste of time.

George Gervin's Afro
02-25-2019, 11:07 PM
Please baby Jesus... help us get the number 1 lottery pick

r0drig0lac
02-26-2019, 05:15 AM
fucking joke

r0drig0lac
02-26-2019, 05:42 AM

the problem is not "making or not making the playoffs", the problem is in the decisions of the front office that refuses to do the right thing.

- believing that Gasol (who can not defend absolutely anyone in the pick and roll) is still a professional player, and giving him a partially guaranteed third year with absolutely no need.

- placing three one-dimensional shooters on an already short list of real talent

- keeping Dante and Cun on the list (two former players), when they should be using this space to try to find real players (Spurs no longer have Duncan, Kawhi, Manu and Parker),they need to risk on players with developmental potential (they are the league's best in developing players).

- Spurs did not have a real sf backup in virtually every year of Kawhi, and since 2015 it was becoming clear to anyone who understands the game that the league was becoming a league of versatile wings (warriors and bucks as bigger examples)

- overestimating the culture with Mills and Gasol (who complained of playing time, showing that he is as "selfish" as any player), when Pop is already all culture the franchise needs, the "winning" culture started and ended at # 21, it's no coincidence that the two remaining stars asked to leave the franchise in subsequent years.

- the main thing for me is that they did not adapt to the game (and I'm not talking about that bs of 40 3pt per game, the best shot is the open shot) ,
I'm talking about not understanding that the league has become a bully-ball league (where much of the fouls marked against defense are actually offensive fouls) and fill the team with soft players that can easily be run over on the court, lack of hardness in this team is something glaring

vavvi
02-26-2019, 05:53 AM
the problem is not making or not making the playoffs, the problem is in the decisions of the front office that refuses to do the right thing.- believing that Gasol (who can not defend absolutely anyone in the pick and roll) is still a professional player, and giving him a partially guaranteed third year with absolutely no need.- placing three one-dimensional shooters on an already short list of real talent- keeping Dante and Cun on the list (two former players), when they should be using this space to try to find real players (Spurs no longer have Duncan, Kawhi, Manu and Parker),they need to risk on players with developmental potential (they are the league's best in developing players).- Spurs did not have a real sf backup in virtually every year of Kawhi, and by 2015 it was becoming clear to anyone who understands the game that the league was becoming a league of versatile wings (warriors and bucks as bigger examples)- overestimating the culture with Mills and Gasol (who complained of playing time, showing that he is as "selfish" as any player), when Pop is already all culture the franchise needs, the "winning" culture started and ended at # 21, it's no coincidence that the two remaining stars asked to leave the franchise in subsequent years.- the main thing for me is that they did not adapt to the game (and I'm not talking about that bs of 40 3pt per game, the best shot is the open shot) ,I'm talking about not understanding that the league has become a bully-ball league (where much of the fouls marked against defense are actually offensive fouls) and fill the team with soft players that can easily be run over on the court, lack of hardness in this team is something glaring

UnWantedTheory
02-26-2019, 06:01 AM
They are not awful, they are mediocre. There is a difference. When they can put it together they are quite good, but the issue is they can't do it consistently, and even if they could, that still doesn't make them good enough. Also, regarding contracts and the team as constructed, well, everything is relative. We just haven't been accustomed to mediocre play over the last two decades. Let us see what the off season brings. If Pop and RC can shake a little left over magic dust residue out, we may just be better than mediocre within the next season or two.

Coach X
02-26-2019, 07:17 AM
They are not awful, they are mediocre. There is a difference. When they can put it together they are quite good, but the issue is they can't do it consistently, and even if they could, that still doesn't make them good enough. Also, regarding contracts and the team as constructed, well, everything is relative. We just haven't been accustomed to mediocre play over the last two decades. Let us see what the off season brings. If Pop and RC can shake a little left over magic dust residue out, we may just be better than mediocre within the next season or two.

Yeah, that's what I think. This team is not that far from a +50W season, nice playoff run. Championship? That's a different story but you can't be an eternal contender, it's impossible.
- Next season we have Murray instead of Forbes and White will take some of the Mills minutes. Forbes and Belinelli will be out or having residual minutes. That's a good backcourt.
- DeRozan can only improve in defense and he may practice some shooting with Engelund. He works very hard every summer. He will help much more to win games.
- PATFO has two first rounds, Gasol's contract and some space to be used. We just need to add 2 good rotation players, not even starters: an athletic SF that can play good defense and a solid big that can protect the rim and rebound (ideally a PF-C that can play next to LA if needed). You don't need to spend a lot to find and cover these two profiles. Totally feasible.
- Aldridge will still be around an all-star level, Gay coming off the bench will continue scoring and probably will play defense more focused and better positioned, Bertans is already a good rotation player, Poetl can be the third big and Walker and Metu can fill the roster playing some decent minutes giving rest to the veterans.

We will finish this season around the 0.500 W after playing Brynn Forbes 25 games as starting PG! With a completely unbalanced roster due to injuries and bad contracts signed. We are not that far from being good again. Just make a couple of minor moves and have a regular summer getting players healthy and adapting their game to the Spurs as they use to do.

sananspursfan21
02-26-2019, 07:27 AM

I haven’t lost faith in the organization and unlike a lot of posters, I’m not even mad at the front office. Spurs were bound for a rougher season eventually. It’s more like I’ve just accepted this team isn’t even a playoff sleeper. Hope I’m wrong, but I’m at peace with whatever. Plus, I think next season DeMar gets his Spurs legs and starts feeling comfortable in silver and black and reminds us all why he was the primary piece in the nephew trade.

sananspursfan21
02-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Yeah, that's what I think. This team is not that far from a +50W season, nice playoff run. Championship? That's a different story but you can't be an eternal contender, it's impossible.
- Next season we have Murray instead of Forbes and White will take some of the Mills minutes. Forbes and Belinelli will be out or having residual minutes. That's a good backcourt.
- DeRozan can only improve in defense and he may practice some shooting with Engelund. He works very hard every summer. He will help much more to win games.
- PATFO has two first rounds, Gasol's contract and some space to be used. We just need to add 2 good rotation players, not even starters: an athletic SF that can play good defense and a solid big that can protect the rim and rebound (ideally a PF-C that can play next to LA if needed). You don't need to spend a lot to find and cover these two profiles. Totally feasible.
- Aldridge will still be around an all-star level, Gay coming off the bench will continue scoring and probably will play defense more focused and better positioned, Bertans is already a good rotation player, Poetl can be the third big and Walker and Metu can fill the roster playing some decent minutes giving rest to the veterans.

We will finish this season around the 0.500 W after playing Brynn Forbes 25 games as starting PG! With a completely unbalanced roster due to injuries and bad contracts signed. We are not that far from being good again. Just make a couple of minor moves and have a regular summer getting players healthy and adapting their game to the Spurs as they use to do.

Yeah, I’m not saying Spurs are completely hopeless in the future. They’re just not good this season and it’s not for lack of effort. Good points for this offseason and I agree with you

therealtruth
02-26-2019, 07:53 AM
They've got 2 all-stars/all-nba players. I think they should be alot better. That's more than other teams higher in the standings.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-26-2019, 09:46 AM
At the end of the day, like Lebron James is finding out, defense still wins. We have no defenders except White. Realistically we can't win consistently on only offense. Demar and LMA have nice offensive numbers but they play zero defense. We are like the Lakers (last night the exception) in that we are scoring at a good rate, but we just can't stop anybody.

Murray solves a lot of these issues. With a healthy white and Murray, we can hide Demar on a weak offensive player like the Rockets do Harden or the Lakers do Lebron. Demar can focus on what he does best in scoring and his consistency should raise up a bit.

Drafting a SF with size and length is also the most important thing in the offseason for the Spurs. We might need luck to do so but I believe there is a player out there the Spurs are really high on that nobody else will pick up bc of some perceived flaw.

Lonnie also needs to spend all offseason running defensive drills tbh. If he can be an average defender next year, that would really shore up our bench. The future isn't bleak but the present is murky as hell

look_at_g_shred
02-26-2019, 03:55 PM
At the end of the day, like Lebron James is finding out, defense still wins. We have no defenders except White. Realistically we can't win consistently on only offense. Demar and LMA have nice offensive numbers but they play zero defense. We are like the Lakers (last night the exception) in that we are scoring at a good rate, but we just can't stop anybody.

Murray solves a lot of these issues. With a healthy white and Murray, we can hide Demar on a weak offensive player like the Rockets do Harden or the Lakers do Lebron. Demar can focus on what he does best in scoring and his consistency should raise up a bit.

Drafting a SF with size and length is also the most important thing in the offseason for the Spurs. We might need luck to do so but I believe there is a player out there the Spurs are really high on that nobody else will pick up bc of some perceived flaw.

Lonnie also needs to spend all offseason running defensive drills tbh. If he can be an average defender next year, that would really shore up our bench. The future isn't bleak but the present is murky as hell

It's exactly what we need but even if we do draft an SF..is pop going to fucking play him? Or is he going to stick with his annoying rookie schtick?

TimDunkem
02-26-2019, 04:13 PM
They've got 2 all-stars/all-nba players. I think they should be alot better. That's more than other teams higher in the standings.
Their games are ugly and they're surrounded by shit. This team is probably overachieving, tbh.

J_Paco
02-26-2019, 04:47 PM

A rational and honest post. They definitely need stop pretending (like last season) that this season is salvageable and tank for a better draft position. Could be a solid SF prospect available at the end of the lottery and they won't be able to snatch one (w/o sacrificing the other 1st) draft 17th or 18th.

sananspursfan21
02-26-2019, 05:22 PM
A rational and honest post. They definitely need stop pretending (like last season) that this season is salvageable and tank for a better draft position. Could be a solid SF prospect available at the end of the lottery and they won't be able to snatch one (w/o sacrificing the other 1st) draft 17th or 18th.

I have a lot of hope for the future. I think White and Murray will make a fun backcourt to watch for years. It’s just time to forget any major hopes for this year and be excited for the future. Like you said, some good wings in the draft this year. Looks really SG/SF heavy :eyebrows

superbigtime
02-26-2019, 06:03 PM
They suck. So why isn't Walker playing.

SpurPadre
02-26-2019, 06:09 PM

That's like a homeless man finding a half-eaten sandwich on a shit-covered floor and saying he's pleased because it fulfilled his hunger.

sasaint
02-26-2019, 06:31 PM
That's like a homeless man finding a half-eaten sandwich on a shit-covered floor and saying he's pleased because it fulfilled his hunger.

More like Pop is the guy who shit on the floor, made the sandwich, plopped it down on the feces and called it haute cuisine.

tim_duncan_fan
02-26-2019, 07:38 PM
Please baby Jesus... help us get the number 1 lottery pick

Please, Based God.

UnWantedTheory
02-27-2019, 01:39 AM
I haven’t lost faith in the organization and unlike a lot of posters, I’m not even mad at the front office. Spurs were bound for a rougher season eventually. It’s more like I’ve just accepted this team isn’t even a playoff sleeper. Hope I’m wrong, but I’m at peace with whatever. Plus, I think next season DeMar gets his Spurs legs and starts feeling comfortable in silver and black and reminds us all why he was the primary piece in the nephew trade.
Yeah, I get the frustration, but it was inevitable. I just wish more people could be level headed. The team deserves criticism, but people here take it too far. Again, this team is mediocre, not awful. They show promise in certain areas, but the areas that are of concern, are really troubling. However it goes, I doubt we see a championship any time soon, but a better and more competitive team should be expected within the next season or two.

UnWantedTheory
02-27-2019, 01:41 AM

This.

jjktkk
02-27-2019, 09:51 AM

Solid take. :tu

sasaint
02-27-2019, 09:59 AM

With PATFO at the helm, the future seems murky to me. Been saying for months that LMA and DeMar were not the core to spend +/- $50MM/yr on or build around. Should have moved DeMar back in December before he tanked what value he had. But, I thoroughly expect Pop to go with both players as long as they want to hang around.

sananspursfan21
02-27-2019, 12:11 PM
With PATFO at the helm, the future seems murky to me. Been saying for months that LMA and DeMar were not the core to spend +/- $50MM/yr on or build around. Should have moved DeMar back in December before he tanked what value he had. But, I thoroughly expect Pop to go with both players as long as they want to hang around.

I stand by PATFO most of the time (save for Gasol’s contract), but one thing I’ve never understood is the lack of desire to go after a true athlete. I get that some of those guys rely on athleticism alone and are without a job by year 6, but with the incredible player development the Spurs are capable of, take a supreme athlete with not many more tools and get him a jump shot. I know they don’t like flashy but sometimes flashy gets the job done.

GusT15
02-27-2019, 12:27 PM
I stand by PATFO most of the time (save for Gasol’s contract), but one thing I’ve never understood is the lack of desire to go after a true athlete. I get that some of those guys rely on athleticism alone and are without a job by year 6, but with the incredible player development the Spurs are capable of, take a supreme athlete with not many more tools and get him a jump shot. I know they don’t like flashy but sometimes flashy gets the job done.

You don't even need "flashy".Flashy means hype,highlights and top10 moments.

You need tall,long SF's who can guard 2-4 and challenge the opposition on switch defense and corner 3's.

Then if you can develop their shot and make them 3D,that's great.If they work even harder and start playing consistently at an above role player level you have succeeded as a front office and as a coaching staff.

JeffDuncan
02-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Pop use to have a philosophy where he would put players in situations where they were most likely to succeed.........Not so much, anymore.

That's been the oddest thing this season. The Spurs signed, and kept, a fistful of 3pt shooters - Bertans, Mills, Forbes, Beli, but Pop hardly uses them for that. With how Pop assembled the team, the Spurs should be at the top in number of 3s attempted, but they're almost last. Why'd he get those 3pt shooters and then not use them?

sananspursfan21
02-27-2019, 12:53 PM
You don't even need "flashy".Flashy means hype,highlights and top10 moments.

You need tall,long SF's who can guard 2-4 and challenge the opposition on switch defense and corner 3's.

Then if you can develop their shot and make them 3D,that's great.If they work even harder and start playing consistently at an above role player level you have succeeded as a front office and as a coaching staff.

I agree. I just mean that “flashy” shouldn’t be a strict deterrent. If there are character issues, I get it. It’s just that at times, it seems the front office has passed strictly because of a player’s hype. I do agree that flash or hype isn’t necessary, just the principle is my point.

SpurSpike
02-27-2019, 02:00 PM

Seems like they are doing just that, Lonnie Walker was one of the most athletic players in last years draft... He is very raw (relies on athleticism) but they are taking time to develop him.

sananspursfan21
02-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Seems like they are doing just that, Lonnie Walker was one of the most athletic players in last years draft... He is very raw (relies on athleticism) but they are taking time to develop him.

This is true. As long as he stays healthy, he could really develop well.