PDA

View Full Version : Bad Times at the El Royal - movie review

SpursforSix
02-27-2019, 12:09 AM
I’ve kind of been wanting to see this for a while but kept putting it off. Thought it might be pretty average. But I ended up enjoying it. Great casting and good story. Kind of like a Tarantino movie without the snappy dialogue. Nothing groundbreaking but just a very solid movie.

7.5/10

jackyboi99
02-27-2019, 01:44 AM
I enjoyed it, but It felt like a bud light version of a Tarantino story line.

I feel as though a lot was lost in the editing floor to stay away from being a 4 hour movie.

Yeah we get it, it's JFK. But seriously you are alive have a shit load of cash and you just decide meh fuck it and burn it, That part lost me something fierce. Also why have the bellboy's nam flashback at the worst possible point in the movie?

I agree with the not knowing the message, I remember watching an interview with jeff bridges where he talked about how much fun it was shooting the scenes with his brother, apparently that character got the axe entirely.

Also agree with the fetish things going on, it served no purpose, we get it he is a hippy cult leader, but does that really mean betraying the only one who wants to help you (your sister) who already saved you from being abused before.

It was a little confusing and way too predicable but I still liked it, and surprisingly it kept my attention.

I'd give it a 5.5/10

benefactor
02-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Agree with it being Tarantino light...but still worth the watch. The idea on paper was better than the execution.

cd021
02-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Finished it yesterday. 4/5 tbh

well acted, entertaining and fairly original and stylish. :tu

Blake
02-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Agree with it being Tarantino light...but still worth the watch. The idea on paper was better than the execution.

Pretty much.

SpursforSix
02-28-2019, 05:18 PM
What a disgraceful use of Nick Offerman though. I didn't even realize he was in it until the credits ran.