PDA

View Full Version : Curious: Spurs market themselves in So. Texas?

blaze89
10-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past. But I am wondering if the Spurs market themselves in Austin, Laredo, and Corpus Christi or even in the Rio Grande Valley. If not, how come? If so, how aggressive are they?

Just curious...

thispego
10-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Are you familiar with Bexar County?

Gatita
10-27-2005, 02:00 PM
There wasn't much Spur interest down in the valley. I only saw two flags on cars during the finals. Mine and my boyfriend's.

spur219
10-27-2005, 02:05 PM
There wasn't much Spur interest down in the valley. I only saw two flags on cars during the finals. Mine and my boyfriend's.

What valley you talking about. If it's the Rio Grande Valley then I am from here also. And I did have 2 Spurs flags during the whole playoffs then I put the championship flag after the Finals. Had them on everywhere I went.

Carie
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Unless it's changed in the past several years, they don't market themselves much if at all in Austin. If they do, they don't do it well. I grew up thinking the Spurs were practically a semi-pro team.

SWC Bonfire
10-27-2005, 02:10 PM
No one in Austin is from Austin, so they root for their old teams.

I see a lot of Spurs gear, flags and stickers down around Corpus.

Carie
10-27-2005, 02:13 PM
No one in Austin is from Austin, so they root for their old teams.
This is true. Also, basketball isn't that big in Austin period. It's all about football and baseball.

GoSpurs21
10-27-2005, 02:44 PM
actually I tend to see more Spurs gear in South Austin than in central or North Austin. But there are quite of few Spurs fans up in Round Rock.

Carie
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
actually I tend to see more Spurs gear in South Austin than in central or North Austin. But there are quite of few Spurs fans up in Round Rock.
Is that new? I grew up in the North Austin/Round Rock area and never saw any Spurs gear.

Gatita
10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
What valley you talking about. If it's the Rio Grande Valley then I am from here also. And I did have 2 Spurs flags during the whole playoffs then I put the championship flag after the Finals. Had them on everywhere I went.

The Rio Grande Valley, mijito. I wouldn't go as far as saying Spurs flags were everywhere. Maybe after they won and people decided to jump on the bandwagon. But, for the most part the Valley is too concerned with the Cowboys. :vomit And High School football. :rolleyes

Phenomanul
10-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Recently the Spurs displayed their 3 championship trophies down in Corpus... but other than that they really haven't marketed themselves down here too well...

Whataburger Inc. is based out of Corpus... I don't know if they still have a contract with the Spurs or if they lost out to McDonalds.

Carie
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Whataburger Inc. is based out of Corpus... I don't know if they still have a contract with the Spurs or if they lost out to McDonalds.
Both maybe? Whataberger is in the SBC Center, but I think I remember some Spurs/McDonald's promotions last season.

spur219
10-27-2005, 03:20 PM
The Rio Grande Valley, mijito. I wouldn't go as far as saying Spurs flags were everywhere. Maybe after they won and people decided to jump on the bandwagon. But, for the most part the Valley is too concerned with the Cowboys. :vomit And High School football. :rolleyes

No I meant that I had the flags on my truck everywhere I went. I know not too many people had Spurs flags on their vehicles.

spur219
10-27-2005, 03:21 PM
I think Whataburger lost it to McDonalds.

SequSpur
10-27-2005, 07:31 PM
The Spurs don't market shit.

GoSpurs21
10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Is that new? I grew up in the North Austin/Round Rock area and never saw any Spurs gear.I have been in RR for 7 years now and the fan base keeps getting bigger every year. I guess it depends where you go. The acadamy in RR still has Manu road jerseys for sale.

Tek_XX
10-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I think the Spurs fan base is strongest in areas that get San Antonio news stations.

Carie
10-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I have been in RR for 7 years now and the fan base keeps getting bigger every year. I guess it depends where you go. The acadamy in RR still has Manu road jerseys for sale.That would make sense, I haven't lived there since Jan 1, 1999. But I know now where to send my mom shopping for Christmas, thanks :)

wildbill2u
10-28-2005, 11:47 AM
There'e not much point in marketing to areas without a reasonable expectation that you can sell something: tickets, gear, etc. that will pay for the marketing expense.

I don't know if they carry Spurs games on TV and radio in the Valley or Austin, but they aren't gonna get many folks to drive from there on a regular basis to attend games that are largely sold out except for bad seats.

I don't think they get enough revenue from franchising the radio and TV rights (even if the stations wanted to carry them) to make it a priority.