PDA

View Full Version : Man the PS1 and N64 aged like milk....Is that generation of Consoles the WOAT in terms of longevity?

apalisoc_9
02-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Look at these garbage graphics

https://r.mprd.se/fup/up/53017-Final_Fantasy_VII_(J)_(Disc_1)-1.jpeg

https://cdn2-www.gamerevolution.com/assets/uploads/2018/03/Game-Graphics-Hagrid.jpg

https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/scust.png

Only games that are bearable from that gen are 2d games and there wasnt a whole lot of them.

apalisoc_9
02-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Playing this today is like willingly texting that fat hog you banged as a 15 year old virgin cause you know memories

spurraider21
02-28-2019, 06:50 PM
eh, it was the first gen to really experiment with 3d games, so the growing pains are completely understandable.

that said, even though the looks are weak, i still think the N64 generally holds up and still shines as a party console. ps1 aged absolutely terribly. only a handful of games id even think about, like tekken. i know baselinebum likes castlevania... for the life of me i cant get into that game.

DJR210
02-28-2019, 07:32 PM
:lol N64 and it's 4 feet of viewing distance.. every game was set in London

baseline bum
02-28-2019, 07:40 PM
:lol N64 and it's 4 feet of viewing distance.. every game was set in London

:lmao Turok

baseline bum
02-28-2019, 07:42 PM
The 2D and 2.5D rpg have mostly held up, other than Final Fantasy VII. But on a handheld even FF IV looks reasonable. N64 though looks like dogshit since they did nothing but straight 3D. Even Zelda Ocarina of Time is unplayable today with that horrible 20 fps framerate. Though the 30 fps remaster on 3DS is pretty nice.

DJR210
02-28-2019, 08:03 PM
:lmao Turok

:lol EXACTLY the game I was thinking of when I posted that too

Even with the shit viewing distance, I loved that fucking game tbh

ElNono
03-01-2019, 12:43 AM
:lol At least the N64 had perspective-correct graphics... the PS1 had those bad 3D looking polygons to boot

Chris
03-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Lots of polygons - the good old days of 3D gaming.

spurraider21
03-01-2019, 11:23 AM
:lol At least the N64 had perspective-correct graphics... the PS1 had those bad 3D looking polygons to boot
Yeah it’s like they used Paint to just crop a face onto a digital body. Even ps2 did that awfully in Max Payne

Cuppycake Gumdrop
03-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Tried replaying Goldeneye a few months ago, and yeah it’s unplayably bad. There’s no fun nostalgia effect, like playing Tecmo Bowl or NBA Live 96, it’s just the shittiest FPS game ever compared to modern games.

spurraider21
03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Tried replaying Goldeneye a few months ago, and yeah it’s unplayably bad. There’s no fun nostalgia effect, like playing Tecmo Bowl or NBA Live 96, it’s just the shittiest FPS game ever compared to modern games.
Yeah this one has definitely aged awfully. Looks terrible, the aim mechanic is poor, and the frame drop in multiplayer is hilarious. I think the campaign is acceptable though

leemajors
03-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Yeah this one has definitely aged awfully. Looks terrible, the aim mechanic is poor, and the frame drop in multiplayer is hilarious. I think the campaign is acceptable though

Goldeneye ran like butter compared to Perfect Dark in mutli.

SpursforSix
03-01-2019, 01:11 PM
I'd like to see how Starfox 64 plays today.

spurraider21
03-01-2019, 01:56 PM
I'd like to see how Starfox 64 plays today.
still fun as fuck imho. actually played through it once last summer before i had my ps4. had some buddies come over and i busted out the 64 to play smash kart and pokemon stadium. after they left i started fucking around with old games.

just short. imo gameplay holds up, but the short length of some of these old games is very glaring compared to the modern behemoths.

SpursforSix
03-01-2019, 01:58 PM
still fun as fuck imho. actually played through it once last summer. just short.

Was one of my favorite games. They got the controls exactly right on that one. Really liked the areas that had the open battles.

spurraider21
03-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Was one of my favorite games. They got the controls exactly right on that one. Really liked the areas that had the open battles.
"ALL RANGE MODE"

also, this is super old, but go to google.com and in the search bar type in

do a barrel roll

and hit enter

baseline bum
03-01-2019, 02:26 PM
still fun as fuck imho. actually played through it once last summer before i had my ps4. had some buddies come over and i busted out the 64 to play smash kart and pokemon stadium. after they left i started fucking around with old games.

just short. imo gameplay holds up, but the short length of some of these old games is very glaring compared to the modern behemoths.

Man if you're still into N64 that much you should look into the HDMI mod.

spurraider21
03-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Man if you're still into N64 that much you should look into the HDMI mod.
i only bring it out when i have friends over tbh, so its not a big enough deal

i have too much ps4 to catch up on to worry about replaying a handful on n64 games with better quality

baseline bum
03-01-2019, 02:43 PM
i only bring it out when i have friends over tbh, so its not a big enough deal

i have too much ps4 to catch up on to worry about replaying a handful on n64 games with better quality

OK but it should be night and day better than composite on a modern TV. I couldn't believe how bad my PS2 and Wii looked when I hooked them up composite (instead of component), though they still look great on composite when hooked to an old-school CRT.

DJR210
03-01-2019, 04:54 PM

:lol that is very true.. that was my comeback when I got the fog or play-doh insults

koriwhat
03-01-2019, 08:53 PM
eh, it was the first gen to really experiment with 3d games, so the growing pains are completely understandable.

that said, even though the looks are weak, i still think the N64 generally holds up and still shines as a party console. ps1 aged absolutely terribly. only a handful of games id even think about, like tekken. i know baselinebum likes castlevania... for the life of me i cant get into that game.

3DO tbh

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2019, 09:54 AM
the 3d tech on the n64... = minecraft polygon?

resistanze
03-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Look at these garbage graphics

https://cdn2-www.gamerevolution.com/assets/uploads/2018/03/Game-Graphics-Hagrid.jpg

Only games that are bearable from that gen are 2d games and there wasnt a whole lot of them.

https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/hhh4.png

DJR210
03-02-2019, 01:58 PM
3DO tbh

"3D" was in the name.. but did the shit even display polygons?? All their shit games I can remember were sprite based :lol

I used to look at the stills and drool over Way of the Warrior tbh though

koriwhat
03-02-2019, 02:13 PM
"3D" was in the name.. but did the shit even display polygons?? All their shit games I can remember were sprite based :lol

I used to look at the stills and drool over Way of the Warrior tbh though

lol yeah man... way of the warrior though is the only title most remember due to white zombie and mk being huge back then.

DJR210
03-02-2019, 02:31 PM
lol yeah man... way of the warrior though is the only title most remember due to white zombie and mk being huge back then.

They had a version of Madden, and I remember looking at the screens of Gex and wishing PS1 had it.. It eventually came and didn't disappoint.

Let's not forget staying up late af to catch the Phillip's CDI infomercials..

koriwhat
03-02-2019, 02:37 PM
They had a version of Madden, and I remember looking at the screens of Gex and wishing PS1 had it.. It eventually came and didn't disappoint.

Let's not forget staying up late af to catch the Phillip's CDI infomercials..

lmao :tu

oh man i forgot about gex. i think i got gex when i bought the 3do. the good ol' days...

ever play that shit game HELL?

DJR210
03-02-2019, 02:43 PM
lmao :tu

oh man i forgot about gex. i think i got gex when i bought the 3do. the good ol' days...

ever play that shit game HELL?

I to this day have NEVER even seen a 3DO outside of Gamepros and EGM's.. I had to look up Hell right now.. Never heard of it.. It did remind me of a 3DO game that eventually got ported to PS1 called "D".. it was a fully CGI horror game that really laid the foundation for horror games involving puzzle solving. Resident Evil came out and took all the credit.

koriwhat
03-02-2019, 02:47 PM
I to this day have NEVER even seen a 3DO outside of Gamepros and EGM's.. I had to look up Hell right now.. Never heard of it.. It did remind me of a 3DO game that eventually got ported to PS1 called "D".. it was a fully CGI horror game that really laid the foundation for horror games involving puzzle solving. Resident Evil came out and took all the credit.

my cousin and i both had 3do's... took me forever to save up for that $300 console back then as a 12 yr old.

DJR210
03-02-2019, 02:57 PM
my cousin and i both had 3do's... took me forever to save up for that $300 console back then as a 12 yr old.

2/10 3DO's in the greater SA area I bet too.. Could you imagine saving up almost 900 bucks back then to buy a Neo Geo and game? God damn, w/ inflation that's probably like 2 G's these days

koriwhat
03-02-2019, 03:01 PM
2/10 3DO's in the greater SA area I bet too.. Could you imagine saving up almost 900 bucks back then to buy a Neo Geo and game? God damn, w/ inflation that's probably like 2 G's these days

yeah that was nuts how much neo geo's went for.

lefty
03-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Breaking news : new tech is better than old tech :lol

baseline bum
03-02-2019, 04:11 PM
God damn I was blown away the first time I saw a Neo Geo at Bjorns.

lefty
03-02-2019, 04:35 PM
God damn I was blown away the first time I saw a Neo Geo at Bjorns.

I remember buying a Dreamcast after seeing a demo of the 1st NBA 2K in videogame store ; one of the teams was the Spurs and Robinson was shooting FTs and I was blown away « OMG that’s how he shoots in real life!!!!!!!!! »

The first 2k was visually impressive but the gameplay wasn’t really realistic

As for the Dreamcast, lol what a shitty catalogue

DJR210
03-02-2019, 04:41 PM
what a shitty catalogue

:lol that's not a very popular opinion tbh

The Dreamcast had a cult following because of their catalog.. they had some of the best original games..

lefty
03-02-2019, 04:48 PM

The Dreamcast had a cult following because of their catalog.. they had some of the best original games..
I only had 2K and Shenmue tbh :lol

Shenmue was beautiful game but the gameplay was limited

baseline bum
03-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Wasn't Dreamcast the best console for fighting games though? It had the exact same hardware as Sega's arcade machines.

Xevious
03-02-2019, 05:03 PM

Plus the graphics took a huge shit on Playstation and N64 both. It was just released at the wrong time, between console generations. Having a weak library is a fair point, but I don't think it ever got a chance to hit its stride. Some of the games available were worth the price of the console themselves though. Most of the games I owned came out of bargan bins when stores were dumping it.

Xevious
03-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Wasn't Dreamcast the best console for fighting games though? It had the exact same hardware as Sega's arcade machines.
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing was amazing at the time.

baseline bum
03-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Plus the graphics took a huge shit on Playstation and N64 both. It was just released at the wrong time, between console generations. Having a weak library is a fair point, but I don't think it ever got a chance to hit its stride. Some of the games available were worth the price of the console themselves though. Most of the games I owned came out of bargan bins when stores were dumping it.

Sega of America really fucked the company with Sega CD and 32X being such worthless systems and then launching Saturn in the US months early before there was much of a US catalog to support the system. After three consecutive botched system launches I don't think there was a lot of excitement for Dreamcast sadly.

lefty
03-02-2019, 06:18 PM
I thought Neo Geo was the best for fighting games but su could be wrong

PC Engine for shoot them ups

koriwhat
03-02-2019, 06:23 PM
dreamcast is still one of my favorites but then again i had like 400 games for it.

DJR210
03-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Dead or Alive 2 was the shit..Marvel vs Capcom 2.. Power Stone.. Soul Calibur.. Virtua Fighter 5.. All were amazing on Dreamcast.

Yakuza feels like what I remember Shenmue did..

The Neo-Geo Takara fighting games were always second tier to Americans.. I don't remember any of my friends giving a shit about any of their games back in the day

DJR210
03-02-2019, 09:40 PM
Sega of America really fucked the company with Sega CD and 32X being such worthless systems and then launching Saturn in the US months early before there was much of a US catalog to support the system. After three consecutive botched system launches I don't think there was a lot of excitement for Dreamcast sadly.

Yep.. Sega was seriously the perfect competitor to whatever was popular too. Even though I thought the SNES was the better system, I couldn't sell my Genesis because they would always come out with some badass must have game you just couldn't get anywhere else. Sucks they killed themselves.

baseline bum
03-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Dead or Alive 2 was the shit..Marvel vs Capcom 2.. Power Stone.. Soul Calibur.. Virtua Fighter 5.. All were amazing on Dreamcast.

Speaking of Dead or Alive, CODEX has 6 on sale with the $92 DLC too I think.

DJR210
03-02-2019, 10:29 PM
Speaking of Dead or Alive, CODEX has 6 on sale with the $92 DLC too I think.

No depiction of fighting game women as sex objects, no download

baseline bum
03-02-2019, 10:32 PM
No depiction of fighting game women as sex objects, no download

There are no bouncing tits in 6?

DJR210
03-02-2019, 10:39 PM
There are no bouncing tits in 6?

Yes..with an option to disable.. They also toned down the clothing from mini skirts blowing up showing panties to body suits. A developer of a game with g-string whores playing volleyball has been defeated by the PC Extremists smh

midnightpulp
03-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Goldeneye was outdated even then. The PC FPSes of the era blow it out of the water. Only notable achievement for Goldeneye was making an FPS work "okay" on a console.

midnightpulp
03-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Gen 5 games can look quite nice through an emulator, employing AA and upscaling it to >1080p resolution. That said, :lol being a graphics whore. If the gameplay is good, it's good.

baseline bum
03-02-2019, 11:50 PM
Goldeneye was outdated even then. The PC FPSes of the era blow it out of the water. Only notable achievement for Goldeneye was making an FPS work "okay" on a console.

I don't think anyone would compare Goldeneye to Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, Doom I & II, Half Life, Quake II, etc. But the split screen 4-player MP was still a lot of fun.

apalisoc_9
03-02-2019, 11:59 PM
Gen 5 games can look quite nice through an emulator, employing AA and upscaling it to >1080p resolution. That said, :lol being a graphics whore. If the gameplay is good, it's good.

Old game mechanics.

midnightpulp
03-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Old game mechanics.

What are "old game mechanics?"

MGS1 still has better stealth mechanics than the movie game that is the Last of Us :lol

Chris
03-03-2019, 12:10 AM

It was, and also good for beat em ups. Loved the arcade neo geo machines because the consoles were ridiculously overpriced even by today's standards.

apalisoc_9
03-03-2019, 12:17 AM

MGS1 still has better stealth mechanics than the movie game that is the Last of Us :lol

Mgs1 is my 2nd favourite game of all time. Just behind Suikoden 2. But this is blasphemy son. Its like saying babe ruth beer gout fat is somehow better than Mike trout in vacuum

Xevious
03-03-2019, 12:52 AM
I don't think anyone would compare Goldeneye to Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, Doom I & II, Half Life, Quake II, etc. But the split screen 4-player MP was still a lot of fun.
Eh. I never found Goldeneye all that good IMO. I was playing multiplayer FPSs as early as Doom (over 56k :vomit:) so perhaps the novelty was lost on me.

leemajors
03-04-2019, 12:03 PM

it was the best for pirating games. everything was on usenet.

koriwhat
03-04-2019, 04:46 PM
it was the best for pirating games. everything was on usenet.

you mean IRC... well both

leemajors
03-04-2019, 05:19 PM
you mean IRC... well both

usenet is way faster than irc :lol

koriwhat
03-04-2019, 05:35 PM
usenet is way faster than irc :lol

yeah irc was a bit slow for sure and especially way back when. i used to love the scripts though.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2019, 05:19 PM

!