PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Need A Centerpiece Besides Pop (Article)

Thomas82
03-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Here is a Pounding The Rock article that talks about the Spurs needing a new centerpiece and how the Spurs won't be contenders as long as Pop is the face of the team.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/3/2/18241850/the-spurs-need-a-centerpiece-besides-gregg-popovich?fbclid=IwAR1dru7ohNYiFeDAIs6YjQ99dc5b317K WwT0yov87XbtdyZxM6beMZr0vLw

Millennial_Messiah
03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Well, Keith Bogans is available!

ZeusWillJudge
03-03-2019, 06:14 PM
​So all it would take is another Tim Duncan for Pop's coaching genius to make them good again? That's a shocker.

When San Antonio adds someone that has traditionally been bad on defense, concerns are sometimes brushed aside because Pop will fix everything.

The difference between Pop and most other coaches is that he has final say on pretty much everything. If the team adds a player, it's because Pop okayed it. The roster is his baby, just as much as what he does with the rotations. Nobody believes that Pop can make a winner out of any roster as much as Pop. The team had a talent drain (compared to all the other teams in the league) for two decades, because of chronic low draft slots. The same arrogance that makes him such a dick in interviews made him believe that he could keep going that way forever.

He's a very good coach. But you can't overestimate the value of Tim Duncan.

BackHome
03-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Winning through the draft is soo freaking hard you have to be extremely lucky with multiple picks. And you have to get lucky when a once in a lifetime player is coming out. I don’t think people realize how freaking lucky we were to be able to draft both Timmy and Duncan.

John B
03-03-2019, 09:23 PM
That’s an idiotic article. The 2014 beautiful game had 3 aging all-star passed their prime and a budding superstar, but a great coach to make it worked. While supposedly the best player in the world can’t even make it to the playoffs. It’s a combination of both plus some luck to make it work.

sananspursfan21
03-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Cue all the Pop bashers swarming in here thinking it’s a hate on “Poop” article...

slick'81
03-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Just someone's opinion who gives a shit

Spurtacular
03-03-2019, 10:25 PM
​So all it would take is another Tim Duncan for Pop's coaching genius to make them good again? That's a shocker.

Throw in a little D-Rob or Manu maybe. :lol

UnWantedTheory
03-04-2019, 01:24 AM
That’s an idiotic article. The 2014 beautiful game had 3 aging all-star passed their prime and a budding superstar, but a great coach to make it worked. While supposedly the best player in the world can’t even make it to the playoffs. It’s a combination of both plus some luck to make it work. Did you read it? It wasn't a Pop bashing article.

phxspurfan
03-04-2019, 01:28 AM
Uh, no shit

Rummpd
03-04-2019, 05:41 AM
Long article that just tells it like it is - of course give the Spurs say Durant and Irving they would be improved but not going to happen. The golden era of the Spurs is over period.

RC_Drunkford
03-04-2019, 06:32 AM
Winning through the draft is soo freaking hard you have to be extremely lucky with multiple picks. And you have to get lucky when a once in a lifetime player is coming out. I don’t think people realize how freaking lucky we were to be able to draft both Timmy and Duncan.

Yeah what would the Spurs be without Timmy and Duncan :rollin

GusT15
03-04-2019, 06:34 AM
Yeah what would the Spurs be without Timmy and Duncan :rollin

Imagine what would the Spurs be if we had two of him though!

Kobe'sAchilles
03-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Pop is gone after next year anyways and it's debatable this year that he is even a centerpiece. We have botched so many out of timeout plays that I'm starting to wonder wtf Pop is drawing up. But then I look at the disarray of the Celtics and I'm like, maybe coaching in general is not as important in today's game.

GusT15
03-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Pop is gone after next year anyways and it's debatable this year that he is even a centerpiece. We have botched so many out of timeout plays that I'm starting to wonder wtf Pop is drawing up. But then I look at the disarray of the Celtics and I'm like, maybe coaching in general is not as important in today's game.

Pop is supposed to coach in the World Cup as well or is it just the Olympics? Is Van Gundy on the World Cup team? What's the deal?

If Popovich spents two summers coaching international basketball he won't step foot in a basketball court for a couple of years after retirement.

And don't measure coaching importance with Stevens.Not only is he elite at coaching in the defensive side and pretty worthless on offense,he also managed to lose the locker room this year.

If you want to actually measure coaching importance take a look at Budenholzer.A focused,talented,hungry for success Head Coach is an extremely important part of a team.

Just like Pop was 20 years ago...

dbestpro
03-04-2019, 07:48 AM
Pop was suppose to get supreme players to want to play for the Spurs because he is the greatest coach ever. So far that list includes.......................................

Kobe'sAchilles
03-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Pop is supposed to coach in the World Cup as well or is it just the Olympics? Is Van Gundy on the World Cup team? What's the deal?

And don't measure coaching importance with Stevens.Not only is he elite at coaching in the defensive side and pretty worthless on offense,he also managed to lose the locker room this year.

If you want to actually measure coaching importance take a look at Budenholzer.A focused,talented,hungry for success Head Coach is an extremely important part of a team.

Pop is coaching team USA only while Van Gundy has the World Cup team. Stevens hasn't lost the team, he has lost Irving. It was worth it to sign him at the time (bc IT was fools gold and nobody knew it better than Ainge) but I think he needs to leave Boston. Dude is toxic as a leader since he learned leadership from Lebron (who is also a toxic leader).

Bud has done an amazing job with the Bucks. We shall see if it leads to playoff success though bc a second round loss for them would be seen as underachieving. Same thing with Brett Brown. And Nurse. And Stevens. All 4 coaches are under immense pressure to win in the playoffs to at least make the conference finals and only 2 of them can. Would Philly fire Brown if he loses in the 1st round? Does Kawhi blame Torontos lack of playoff success (by a second round loss) for the reason why he leaves them. Does Irving stay if he loses in the 1st round and help recruit AD? Can Giannis and Bud be taken as a serious threat if they bow out early? Lots of interesting questions that will be answered this summer.

Dverde
03-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Pop is coaching team USA only while Van Gundy has the World Cup team. Stevens hasn't lost the team, he has lost Irving. It was worth it to sign him at the time (bc IT was fools gold and nobody knew it better than Ainge) but I think he needs to leave Boston. Dude is toxic as a leader since he learned leadership from Lebron (who is also a toxic leader).

Bud has done an amazing job with the Bucks. We shall see if it leads to playoff success though bc a second round loss for them would be seen as underachieving. Same thing with Brett Brown. And Nurse. And Stevens. All 4 coaches are under immense pressure to win in the playoffs to at least make the conference finals and only 2 of them can. Would Philly fire Brown if he loses in the 1st round? Does Kawhi blame Torontos lack of playoff success (by a second round loss) for the reason why he leaves them. Does Irving stay if he loses in the 1st round and help recruit AD? Can Giannis and Bud be taken as a serious threat if they bow out early? Lots of interesting questions that will be answered this summer.

Brett Brown has turned out to be terrible at game time management. Philly fans are noticing it. Anyone see the end of that Philly/GSW game? They should replace him when he flounders in the playoffs again. Nurse seems capable, but nothing special. Coach Bud has a great chance to school these two.

John B
03-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Pop was suppose to get supreme players to want to play for the Spurs because he is the greatest coach ever. So far that list includes.......................................
OKC was able to get George (and Melo). Our players need to help Pop recruit.

Dverde
03-04-2019, 10:54 AM
OKC was able to get George (and Melo). Our players need to help Pop recruit.

The fact they didn’t run Demar by Rudy before the trade shows they don’t run moves through enough of their players.

GusT15
03-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Couldn't agree with you more on Irving.He's been so passive aggressive and a total prick,especially in the last 3-4 games.

From what i've seen in Boston,they have factions within the locker room.Tatum/Brown/Rozier vs Irving/Morris/Smart.Horford is neutral and nobody likes Hayward.They don't move the ball,they don't cover each other on defense.The young players are going iso too much and Irving refuses to takes a shot to punish them at times.
That's one fucked up and dysfunctional team.

Coach Bud is by far the superior HC in the East.I really hope at some point we'll have him back in charge of the Spurs.

GreekSpursfan
03-04-2019, 11:47 AM
That’s an idiotic article. The 2014 beautiful game had 3 aging all-star passed their prime and a budding superstar, but a great coach to make it worked. While supposedly the best player in the world can’t even make it to the playoffs. It’s a combination of both plus some luck to make it work.

:tu

GreekSpursfan
03-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Couldn't agree with you more on Irving.He's been so passive aggressive and a total prick,especially in the last 3-4 games.

From what i've seen in Boston,they have factions within the locker room.Tatum/Brown/Rozier vs Irving/Morris/Smart.Horford is neutral and nobody likes Hayward.They don't move the ball,they don't cover each other on defense.The young players are going iso too much and Irving refuses to takes a shot to punish them at times.
That's one fucked up and dysfunctional team.

Coach Bud is by far the superior HC in the East.I really hope at some point we'll have him back in charge of the Spurs.

Coach Bud is good at implementing systems, i still have some questions about his in game decisions and adjustments(for example i was watching the utah game and i think Bud lost that game, it was entirely his fault)
A good coach is obviously very important but if you take current Giannis and you put him in place of Derozan Spurs have enough shooters to do exactly the same thing the Bucks are doing and i think the Spurs go to the WCF with a legit chance to upset the Warriors, thats how important a centerpiece is.
Bottom line Pop needs to retire so the Spurs can tank.

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Jerry Sloan's teams used to be able to get more possessions into the final minute than anything I've seen elsewhere. They were disciplined and ran that drill to perfection. An they did it year after year, which told me that it was all about the coach.

The Spurs used to be known for their plays and execution coming out of timeouts. Now they have a hard time even inbounding the damn ball, and getting a quality shot is more the exception than the rule. Maybe I the "new NBA" coaches can't demand precise execution from their players, but I don't see Pop being engaged like he used to be. If that's true, then the margin between him and the other coaches just isn't as great as it once was.

DAF86
03-04-2019, 12:13 PM

That 2014 roster was stacked as fuck and didn't have extremely flawed stars like Aldridge and DeRozan.

Kobe'sAchilles
03-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Jerry Sloan's teams used to be able to get more possessions into the final minute than anything I've seen elsewhere. They were disciplined and ran that drill to perfection. An they did it year after year, which told me that it was all about the coach.

The Spurs used to be known for their plays and execution coming out of timeouts. Now they have a hard time even inbounding the damn ball, and getting a quality shot is more the exception than the rule. Maybe I the "new NBA" coaches can't demand precise execution from their players, but I don't see Pop being engaged like he used to be. If that's true, then the margin between him and the other coaches just isn't as great as it once was.

Even Sloan couldn't deal with today's NBA tbh. He got into it with Deron Flipping Williams and "retired" bc of it. Today's players are soft and don't practice hard anymore. They're raised on analytics telling them that it's better to rest in the season than to play hard and practice bc they have a better chance of winning yet most of these bums don't win. Add on that they get so much money nowadays and are never satisfied with it that they think of themselves as corporations now that don't answer to anyone anymore.

Pop is no longer ahead of coaches in the X's and O's. Bud is better as is Quinn. Hell even Stotts has his team in a better position than us and I would argue the talent level is even. McMillan is also doing an amazing job and should win COY. Pop has lost all his relationships that he ever had in less than 2 years. His wife, Ginobili, Parker, Green, And Kawhi all gone. He's basically starting over and figuring everything out on the fly and it shows with how inconsistent we are as a team and our road record.

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2019, 12:54 PM
That 2014 roster was stacked as fuck and didn't have extremely flawed stars like Aldridge and DeRozan.

The 2014 team had the 3rd best DRTG in the league. The year they added Aldridge they jumped up to the #1 DRTG in the league. That wasn't just because of Aldridge, but he sure didn't drag them down to 23rd in DRTG like this team.

The 2014 team benefitted from having Pop as a coach. I'm not so sure this one is getting much of a boost from him. If I was Pop, I wouldn't want to be known as the centerpiece of this shitshow.

DAF86
03-04-2019, 01:28 PM
The 2014 team had the 3rd best DRTG in the league. The year they added Aldridge they jumped up to the #1 DRTG in the league. That wasn't just because of Aldridge, but he sure didn't drag them down to 23rd in DRTG like this team.

The 2014 team benefitted from having Pop as a coach. I'm not so sure this one is getting much of a boost from him. If I was Pop, I wouldn't want to be known as the centerpiece of this shitshow.

The year they added Aldridge, Kawhi transformed himself into a top 5 player in the league and the DPoY. That was the reason for the jump.

GusT15
03-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Coach Bud is good at implementing systems, i still have some questions about his in game decisions and adjustments(for example i was watching the utah game and i think Bud lost that game, it was entirely his fault)
A good coach is obviously very important but if you take current Giannis and you put him in place of Derozan Spurs have enough shooters to do exactly the same thing the Bucks are doing and i think the Spurs go to the WCF with a legit chance to upset the Warriors, thats how important a centerpiece is.
Bottom line Pop needs to retire so the Spurs can tank.

If just one of Blesdoe,Brogdon and Georgie Hill is available against Utah,Donovan Mitchell doesn't catch fire in the 4th and Bucks win.Middleton lost the Utah game,Bud coached an amazing game without his entire backcourt.

Giannis instead of Derozan gets the Spurs in the top3 in the west.We still have the worst perimeter defense in the league with him,cause our snipers are not 3D,just 3 and traffic cones on D!

Yep,Pop needs to retire and we have to hit the reset button sooner than later.But that's his decision,nobody can enforce it on him.

John B
03-04-2019, 01:55 PM
I disagree. I love the Spurs, but the 2014 was not stacked at all. We had stars passed their prime, and a lot of role players who complimented each other. We didn’t have an All-NBA. That was my point, and why my disagreement to this article. Now having a Durant or Davis would help a lot, but that’s not all. You still need a great coach to run plays and expose mismatches. Bud is the next best I see out there. Brad might be too young to command that necessary respect to get his multimillionaire players on check, and a title would help. Nurse is just meh. And Brown might not have the championship play-by-play caliber. On paper, sixers should be above everyone in the East. I swear Pop could coach that team easily to championship.

Anyway, it’s all about the coach for me. Spurs current personnel just don’t have enough leadership on the court. And it wouldn’t hurt to get a defensive SF who can bring 12/6 and a blockshot or two. I sure hope Pop stick around next year when Spurs get healthy team.

TimDunkem
03-04-2019, 02:04 PM
I'd definitely say the Spurs were stacked in 2014. 4 all star caliber players plus elite roleplayers as backups at almost every position? Yeah they were stacked.

DAF86
03-04-2019, 02:04 PM
I disagree. I love the Spurs, but the 2014 was not stacked at all. We had stars passed their prime, and a lot of role players who complimented each other. We didn’t have an All-NBA. That was my point, and why my disagreement to this article. Now having a Durant or Davis would help a lot, but that’s not all. You still need a great coach to run plays and expose mismatches. Bud is the next best I see out there. Brad might be too young to command that necessary respect to get his multimillionaire players on check, and a title would help. Nurse is just meh. And Brown might not have the championship play-by-play caliber. On paper, sixers should be above everyone in the East. I swear Pop could coach that team easily to championship.

Anyway, it’s all about the coach for me. Spurs current personnel just don’t have enough leadership on the court. And it wouldn’t hurt to get a defensive SF who can bring 12/6 and a blockshot or two. I sure hope Pop stick around next year when Spurs get healthy team.

We might not had an all-NBA player but we had 4 star-ish players and a platoon of great two-way role players. That team was stacked as fuck. Our third string guys were more talented than most teams' second units.

John B
03-04-2019, 02:13 PM
We might not had an all-NBA player but we had 4 star-ish players and a platoon of great two-way role players. That team was stacked as fuck. Our third string guys were more talented than most teams' second units.
That’s easy to say in retrospect, because the beautiful game worked. That team was dismissed 3-4 years earlier as old, passed their prime. By all definition of stacked, 2014 was not.

GreekSpursfan
03-04-2019, 02:51 PM
If just one of Blesdoe,Brogdon and Georgie Hill is available against Utah,Donovan Mitchell doesn't catch fire in the 4th and Bucks win.Middleton lost the Utah game,Bud coached an amazing game without his entire backcourt.

Giannis instead of Derozan gets the Spurs in the top3 in the west.We still have the worst perimeter defense in the league with him,cause our snipers are not 3D,just 3 and traffic cones on D!

Yep,Pop needs to retire and we have to hit the reset button sooner than later.But that's his decision,nobody can enforce it on him.

I dont want to talk about other teams here but even with three players out when you win a game by 17pts in the 4th q and your coach is "elite" you have to win the game. I still think Bud lost that game because he was late reacting to things and some of the rotations were terrible.
Now to our situation, people think that the biggest problem is perimeter defense when in fact everything start when our guards lead the opposing players inside and there is no one to challenge them. Our inside defense is terrible, our help inside defense is terrible as well. Yeah LMA is trying lately but most of the season he was bystander watching people have layup after layup. With Giannis you don't have to help inside and leave people open on the perimeter and thats a big difference. Everything starts inside and trickles down to our perimeter defense. Both are connected is all i'm trying to say.

DAF86
03-04-2019, 03:01 PM
That’s easy to say in retrospect, because the beautiful game worked. That team was dismissed 3-4 years earlier as old, passed their prime. By all definition of stacked, 2014 was not.

That's impossible, since 3-4 years earlier the roster didn't look anything like the one in 2014.

GusT15
03-04-2019, 03:08 PM
I dont want to talk about other teams here but even with three players out when you win a game by 17pts in the 4th q and your coach is "elite" you have to win the game. I still think Bud lost that game because he was late reacting to things and some of the rotations were terrible.
Now to our situation, people think that the biggest problem is perimeter defense when in fact everything start when our guards lead the opposing players inside and there is no one to challenge them. Our inside defense is terrible, our help inside defense is terrible as well. Yeah LMA is trying lately but most of the season he was bystander watching people have layup after layup. With Giannis you don't have to help inside and leave people open on the perimeter and thats a big difference. Everything starts inside and trickles down to our perimeter defense. Both are connected is all i'm trying to say.

Bud's only possible reaction would be to put Giannis in sooner.But elite coaches do not play their MVP candidates to the ground one week after his chronic sore knee flares up.Not in a meaningless regular season game.He wanted him to play just 32 minutes and that's what he played.And that's exactly what prime Pop would do as well.

But your argument really went full circle on the Spurs issue.We don't have a Tim Duncan to protect the rim.We don't have a Giannis to protect the rim and the passing lanes.And we are not projected to get such a generational talent anytime soon.

So Pop will develop the talent he currently has until he retires and do the best he can with it.And then the Spurs will try to build something good once more under a new regime.It was inevitable to happen,we all knew that.

Arcadian
03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
You don't say? Having a superstar is better than not having a superstar. Mind blown.

John B
03-04-2019, 03:17 PM
That's impossible, since 3-4 years earlier the roster didn't look anything like the one in 2014.
The core was the same. Anyways my point was Pop doesn’t need All-NBA and that beautiful game was the proof. It would help a lot, yes. And you can’t say that with other coaches.

DAF86
03-04-2019, 03:46 PM
The core was the same. Anyways my point was Pop doesn’t need All-NBA and that beautiful game was the proof. It would help a lot, yes. And you can’t say that with other coaches.

Try implementing the beatiful game with guys like Keith Bogans, Roger Mason Jr, Richard Jefferson, etc. and see how it goes. :lol

"The core" was what, 3 guys? Those three guys didn't make the difference between 2014 and 3/4 years earlier. The guys around them did. Those guys are what made that Spurs roster stacked as fuck.

It is retarded to think you can do the same with Dante fucking Cunningham instead of Boris Diaw. Coaching is important but it is always about the players.

John B
03-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Try implementing the beatiful game with guys like Keith Bogans, Roger Mason Jr, Richard Jefferson, etc. and see how it goes. :lol

"The core" was what, 3 guys? Those three guys didn't make the difference between 2014 and 3/4 years earlier. The guys around them did. Those guys are what made that Spurs roster stacked as fuck.

It is retarded to think you can do the same with Dante fucking Cunningham instead of Boris Diaw. Coaching is important but it is always about the players.
But the article was talking about centerpiece, which the 2014 beautiful game did not have, but Diaw, Belli, Tiago. That was my point, Pop did not need centerpiece. It would help YES. And about stacked? If you compare Spurs 2014 lineup to previous Champions, Curry/Kyle/Green/Durant/Cousins, LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Allen, LeBron/Kyrie/Love, Garnett/Allen/Pierce/Rondo, etc. I mean you’re talking Diaw. No disrespect to Boris but stacked with Whataburger perhaps. Just kidding he’s a great passer, but nope still doesn’t make my definition of stacked with multiple All-Stars.

Again Pop doesn’t necessarily need a centerpiece. I think next year when we have a healthy Murray (granted he’s working with his outside shots), a more polished White/Poeltl, NBA ready Walker/Metu, acclimated Demar, a healthy Gay, plus maybe an athletic defensive SF like Covington, I mean Spurs can make serious noise. Nope, not necessarily a centerpiece, just great role players who can compliment each other’s game, but first of all dictates defense.

DAF86
03-04-2019, 04:51 PM
But the article was talking about centerpiece, which the 2014 beautiful game did not have, but Diaw, Belli, Tiago. That was my point, Pop did not need centerpiece. It would help YES. And about stacked? If you compare Spurs 2014 lineup to previous Champions, Curry/Kyle/Green/Durant/Cousins, LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Allen, LeBron/Kyrie/Love, Garnett/Allen/Pierce/Rondo, etc. I mean you’re talking Diaw. No disrespect to Boris but stacked with Whataburger perhaps. Just kidding he’s a great passer, but nope still doesn’t make my definition of stacked with multiple All-Stars.

Again Pop doesn’t necessarily need a centerpiece. I think next year when we have a healthy Murray (granted he’s working with his outside shots), a more polished White/Poeltl, NBA ready Walker/Metu, acclimated Demar, a healthy Gay, plus maybe an athletic defensive SF like Covington, I mean Spurs can make serious noise. Nope, not necessarily a centerpiece, just great role players who can compliment each other’s game, but first of all dictates defense.

Spurs will not be true contenders as long as DeMar and LA are the main options.

John B
03-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Aldridge can bullyball anyone when he desires to, including Draymond. If not, Gay can shoot over Draymond all day. Demar midrange is boring, but effective. Spurs fan are not new to being bored. Dubs will implode, and hopefully next year without Durant/Cousins. I like the combination of Murray/White againts Curry/Thompson. Any other team, Spurs can beat now IF healthy and all the planets align. Spurs are not far from being contender again.

John B
03-04-2019, 05:16 PM
The fact they didn’t run Demar by Rudy before the trade shows they don’t run moves through enough of their players.
True

exstatic
03-04-2019, 05:44 PM

It's ridiculous to call any Spurs team in history "stacked" in light of the current GS roster. Oh, and Diaw was a career 8.6 point scorer. His rebounding and assist totals are both below 5 per game.

callo1
03-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Really poorly written article. State the obvious...talent matters, and then make this comment:
"A prime example is the leap the Warriors took from playoff contender to unstoppable force once Mark Jackson was replaced with Steve Kerr (even before Kevin Durant hopped on the bandwagon)."

Unstoppable...hmm. like barely winning their first championship against a Cavs team without Kyrie and Love. Hardly unstoppable. I'm not trying to take anything away from GS, but for the author of this article to suggest that Kerr was the difference is ludicrous. Kerr is the most overrated coach in the league, and it isn't even close.

timtonymanu
03-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Aldridge can bullyball anyone when he desires to, including Draymond. If not, Gay can shoot over Draymond all day. Demar midrange is boring, but effective. Spurs fan are not new to being bored. Dubs will implode, and hopefully next year without Durant/Cousins. I like the combination of Murray/White againts Curry/Thompson. Any other team, Spurs can beat now IF healthy and all the planets align. Spurs are not far from being contender again.

You drinking that delusional juice or what

RC_Drunkford
03-04-2019, 07:42 PM

the 2016 roster was actually the most stacked Spurs roster ever

RC_Drunkford
03-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Really poorly written article. State the obvious...talent matters, and then make this comment:
"A prime example is the leap the Warriors took from playoff contender to unstoppable force once Mark Jackson was replaced with Steve Kerr (even before Kevin Durant hopped on the bandwagon)."

Unstoppable...hmm. like barely winning their first championship against a Cavs team without Kyrie and Love. Hardly unstoppable. I'm not trying to take anything away from GS, but for the author of this article to suggest that Kerr was the difference is ludicrous. Kerr is the most overrated coach in the league, and it isn't even close.

Lee got injured and he had to play Draymond at the 4. The rest is history. Everybody would've done that. It took the Dubs to another level, but it's not like that was a genius coaching move

John B
03-04-2019, 07:48 PM
You drinking that delusional juice or what
lol I always believe this team can beat anyone outside of Dubs, if healthy and everyone in sync. We led both offensive and defensive efficiency last month (?) before White got hurt. If they get everybody healthy and get a good run, this team can overachieve tbh

therealtruth
03-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Tiago was centerpiece/lynchpin after Bogans.

therealtruth
03-04-2019, 10:33 PM
lol I always believe this team can beat anyone outside of Dubs, if healthy and everyone in sync. We led both offensive and defensive efficiency last month (?) before White got hurt. If they get everybody healthy and get a good run, this team can overachieve tbh

Weren't most of those home games? The Spurs used to win 60 games by beating down on bad teams and being very good on the road. Now it seems the only way they make the playoffs is by being strong at home.

sasaint
03-04-2019, 11:18 PM

ST doesn't get it. I have become reconciled to the probability that LMA will be here until he retires (unless he requests a trade... again). So, I have compromised my original position. If we can move DeMar, and put that $27MM to work for us, I think we can be serious contenders. DWhite makes LMA a much better, more engaged player. That's what gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, this team could win with LMA. But DeMar has to go ASAP. And the only hope of that happening is for Pop to step down after this season - very unlikely, but conceivable.

DAF86
03-05-2019, 03:09 AM

You are homer son. It's ok, just try not to hurt so bad when things go the expected way.

John B
03-05-2019, 03:34 AM
You are homer son. It's ok, just try not to hurt so bad when things go the expected way.
:lol what’s the point of being a fan if you don’t believe in your team?

DAF86
03-05-2019, 03:39 AM
:lol what’s the point of being a fan if you don’t believe in your team?

You still root for them but you realize when they are good and when they aren't?

John B
03-05-2019, 04:25 AM
You still root for them but you realize when they are good and when they aren't?
nah I sincerely believe this team just need some share of luck after a horrible start of the season. They haven’t really played healthy together that long, and there’s a lot of improvement to be gained with familiarity. White’s just getting better and should get more confident. I still don’t see him passing in traffic, but already he’s dropping pass inside for a dunk or easy layup. With Pau’s departure, cements Poeltl’s role in the team and again should just be a positive improvement. Pop seems to be getting a better idea of what his lineup going to be. I like him to close with White, Demar, Bertans, Gay and Aldridge without Mills/Forbes or Belli defensive liability. That lineup could closeout on 3’s especially tonight, than shorter Mills or Forbes. I know this team will have 2nd round ceiling, but who knows, if everything goes their way can reach WCF, and maybe can audition a big FA to join them come this Summer, to help get them over the hump. Hey it’s the best a fan can hope for. :lol

GreekSpursfan
03-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Bud's only possible reaction would be to put Giannis in sooner.But elite coaches do not play their MVP candidates to the ground one week after his chronic sore knee flares up.Not in a meaningless regular season game.He wanted him to play just 32 minutes and that's what he played.And that's exactly what prime Pop would do as well.

But your argument really went full circle on the Spurs issue.We don't have a Tim Duncan to protect the rim.We don't have a Giannis to protect the rim and the passing lanes.And we are not projected to get such a generational talent anytime soon.

So Pop will develop the talent he currently has until he retires and do the best he can with it.And then the Spurs will try to build something good once more under a new regime.It was inevitable to happen,we all knew that.

And the great Bud lost another game by having Middleton AGAIN and others taking ill-advised 3's , no in game adjustments whatsoever. I want to see Bud in the post season because thats were everyone should be crowned the second coming of Pop.

MultiTroll
03-05-2019, 10:43 AM
And the great Bud lost another game by having Middleton AGAIN and others taking ill-advised 3's , no in game adjustments whatsoever. I want to see Bud in the post season because thats were everyone should be crowned the second coming of Pop.
Unless Greek Freak is the second coming of Duncan then the Poplike coat tailing is not gonna happen.

GreekSpursfan
03-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Unless Greek Freak is the second coming of Duncan then the Poplike coat tailing is not gonna happen.

Wrong comparison because there is no Manu or Parker lvl players next to Giannis, the ones he has are at least two lvls below. Siakam is better than all of Giannis teammates and that says it all.

nateboussad
03-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Let’s talk when they get past the second round. I bet they don’t.

Bluestacks (https://bluestacks.vip/) Kodi (https://kodi.software/) Lucky Patcher (https://luckypatcher.pro/)

RC_Drunkford
03-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Let’s talk when they get past the second round. I bet they don’t.

Bluestacks (https://bluestacks.vip/) Kodi (https://kodi.software/) Lucky Patcher (https://luckypatcher.pro/)

says a Knicks fan. When's the last time y'all been to the Playoffs? 99? :lmao