PDA

View Full Version : Internal Improvement

RC_Drunkford
03-06-2019, 07:24 AM
At this point what will improve this team the most is the development of our young players. I just wanted to get some takes on what skills they should work on in the offseason.

White is probably the most complete player out of all of them. I think his 3-point shot, especially of the dribble, is what he should work on. Other than that I don't really know what else. Maybe his handles and some moves to take players 1-on-1. The kid is a starting caliber player already.

Forbes pretty much is who he is right now. I don't see room for improvement. Maybe better court vision but the guy can't grow.

Murray will need some time coming off the injury, but it's definitely improving his shot from anywhere on the court what will take him to the next level

Walker's main focus should be defense. His shot also needs to get more consistent. Defense will get him playing time though

Bertans has improved at rebounding and defense, but teams now run him off the 3-point line consistently. He has worked on his in between game, but I'd like to see him get more consistent at driving and pulling up for midrange shots

Poeltl has to improve his free throw shooting. Adding some post moves and a midrange shot to keep the defense honest would help him on offense as well. His post defense also needs work

Metu pretty much has to work on everything cause nothing he does translates to the NBA level. I think he needs to put on some muscle and defense will be his calling card

honorable mention:

DeRozan: if he could shoot 35%+ from 3 it would actually make him some what effective. He has to improve defensively. His court awareness could also be better

John B
03-06-2019, 08:06 AM
White with his size needs to post and bullyball small guards like Mark Jackson used to do. He needs to attack the basket, suck defense and pass on traffic for easy layup, or finish with contact. With last possession, I like him to eventually have the ball either to pass for the best shot or score like Manu did. We desperately need a closer if Derozan cannot be relied on. I expect him to be the number 2 scorer very soon.

Don’t forget Eubanks. I think he will be a mainstay for a long time. He has quick feet and craftiness around the basket. Roll more and expect to dunk the ball like Lee did. Offensive rebounding and tip in. I believe he can be very useful especially limiting Aldridge minutes.

Huestis, keep on shooting the ball. I like to see his athleticism and defense, but cannot be a scoring liability.

Forbes/Belli/Derozan - recommitment to defense. Patty I don’t see him taking charges as much anymore.

Pop, likewise. Yank players if they’re not playing defense. And keep the score below 100.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2019, 08:25 AM
DDR game style is easy to identify and poke at... u know he aint shooting the 3... he will power bounce into the key, post up, then spin left or right for stupid weak ass shot... its always the same fkn move

explains why every time he brings the ball upcourt for last possession play, he always gets pick pocket or stupid turnover if he sees a determined defender

if he aint going to improve his range %? trade his ass man

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2019, 08:40 AM
White with his size needs to post and bullyball small guards like Mark Jackson used to do. He needs to attack the basket, suck defense and pass on traffic for easy layup, or finish with contact. With last possession, I like him to eventually have the ball either to pass for the best shot or score like Manu did. We desperately need a closer if Derozan cannot be relied on. I expect him to be the number 2 scorer very soon.

needs to put on some muscle.... he has the highest potential out of the younger spurs players due to jumpshot and range on it... i aint waiting for the other younger players to mature their game like white..whites the real deal

cd021
03-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Really like White, Murray, Bertans, Poeltl and Walker as young players/ prospects.

Murray's improvement is to become an average 3pt shower and cable of knocking down pull up jumpers. If he is 80% of what he was defensively, next season, the Spurs D should be much improved.

White needs to up his 3pt volume. I still can't figure out if he is an average shooter or an above average one that who's shot hasn't necessarily translated. Like his court vision and passing, defense and ability to get to the rim and finish with craft. Would like to see more rebounding and him simply being able to stay healthy too.

high on Jakob, tbh. Really the only thing is his free throw shooting- which isn't awful but if he can get to 70% like Splitter did, that is pretty good for a center. Defensive rebounding could stand to improve. Also more playing time with Aldridge so they can figure out how to play together.

Walkers weakness is defense but think he's looked pretty good from what I have seen offensively in the G league. He took a ton of pull up mid-rangers, but also looks like he is already a good 3pt shooter. Probably won't crack the rotation next year unless he pops and out plays Beli.

Metu really looks like he pressed when he was in NBA games. He usually only plays a few minutes a game but also looks like he rushes things. Actually fairly impressed with his skillset but need to find two things that he can do to contribute as 3rd center next season- likely rebounding and rim protection.

phxspurfan
03-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Metu may not make the team next season. He’s just not very skilled or smart, and there are better prospects out there, even in the G League.

Murray will need to prove he can play with White, as White is now the future at the PG spot. He has superior court vision and ability to run the offense. His development may have even signaled the end of Murray’s role on the Spurs, unless Murray is willing to accept a designated wing defender role and gain some weight, so he doesn’t get tossed around by bigger guards.

Bert is awesome and needs to learn to be more aggressive on D. He has the size to be a problem on both ends, kind of a large 3 and D type like a whiter Tayshaun Prince

baseline bum
03-06-2019, 03:50 PM
At this point what will improve this team the most is the development of our young players. I just wanted to get some takes on what skills they should work on in the offseason.

White is probably the most complete player out of all of them. I think his 3-point shot, especially of the dribble, is what he should work on. Other than that I don't really know what else. Maybe his handles and some moves to take players 1-on-1. The kid is a starting caliber player already.

Forbes pretty much is who he is right now. I don't see room for improvement. Maybe better court vision but the guy can't grow.

Murray will need some time coming off the injury, but it's definitely improving his shot from anywhere on the court what will take him to the next level

Walker's main focus should be defense. His shot also needs to get more consistent. Defense will get him playing time though

Bertans has improved at rebounding and defense, but teams now run him off the 3-point line consistently. He has worked on his in between game, but I'd like to see him get more consistent at driving and pulling up for midrange shots

Poeltl has to improve his free throw shooting. Adding some post moves and a midrange shot to keep the defense honest would help him on offense as well. His post defense also needs work

Metu pretty much has to work on everything cause nothing he does translates to the NBA level. I think he needs to put on some muscle and defense will be his calling card

honorable mention:

DeRozan: if he could shoot 35%+ from 3 it would actually make him some what effective. He has to improve defensively. His court awareness could also be better

Bend over. I'll give you some internal improvement.

RC_Drunkford
03-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Bend over. I'll give you some internal improvement.

shut the fuck up faggot

ZeusWillJudge
03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Shooting 3's off the dribble is one of the big things that separate the top-tier players from the rest. If White masters that, he really will be something special - but it's a lot to ask. I love his patience once he gets into the paint. I think he would do well to develop a floater. Force defenders to honor that, and it will help him get all the way to the rim more often.

Murray needs 10 lbs. of muscle. He's got the shoulders to carry it. He obviously needs to improve his shooting, but really getting after a weight program is something that would help him make the most out of what he already has.

Poeltl also needs some bulk. He's not going to be a bruiser like Baynes, but he's going to have to play against those guys. The low post is a brutal place. He was a better finisher at the start of the season, but guys started getting more physical and knocking him off his shot. He sets good screens, and he's a good roll man - both things the Spurs have been missing. But he needs more bulk and strength for his time in the middle.

For DeRozan to improve, he's going to have to buy into ball movement. For his career, he's shot .365 on corner 3's. I think he could do it from straight away, if he would be willing to catch and shoot. It's not his game, though, and I have doubts that it ever could be. The big thing is for him to understand that the ball needs to move, and that his doesn't have to be the last pass before a shot.

Bertans would be better if Pop would let him play an enforcer role. He's a tough, scrappy sonofabitch and always was. Pop won't allow it, so that's sort of pointless to think about.

None of us have really seen enough of Walker. Metu is just a marginal NBA player. Forbes will be fine anyplace that defense is not played, and he'll improve this team the most if the Spurs find a place like that to trade him.

cd021
03-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Metu may not make the team next season. He’s just not very skilled or smart, and there are better prospects out there, even in the G League.

Murray will need to prove he can play with White, as White is now the future at the PG spot. He has superior court vision and ability to run the offense. His development may have even signaled the end of Murray’s role on the Spurs, unless Murray is willing to accept a designated wing defender role and gain some weight, so he doesn’t get tossed around by bigger guards.

Bert is awesome and needs to learn to be more aggressive on D. He has the size to be a problem on both ends, kind of a large 3 and D type like a whiter Tayshaun Prince

Metu is guaranteed for next season, he'll likely be on the team.

R. DeMurre
03-06-2019, 04:43 PM
I just read a pretty incredible stat about the Spurs this year: They're 22-10 in games that Derrick White has played at least 25 minutes. That's the same winning percentage that the Warriors currently have.

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings

exstatic
03-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Metu is guaranteed for next season, he'll likely be on the team.

It's a pittance. He's making $838K this year, and his raises can't be very much. If he's smart, he won't think his roster spot is secure next year. He could easily and cheaply be cut. I'd be worried about that if I were him. He's literally shown nothing at the NBA level.

exstatic
03-06-2019, 04:53 PM
I just read a pretty incredible stat about the Spurs this year: They're 22-10 in games that Derrick White has played at least 25 minutes. That's the same winning percentage that the Warriors currently have.

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings

That bodes well for our playoff chances, or, poorly if you're on Team Tank.

Kobe'sAchilles
03-06-2019, 06:06 PM
White needs to up the aggressiveness on fast breaks next year. We aren't as talented as we are in past years where we can overrun teams with our half court execution. We need him and DeJounte to push the tempo and score easy transition baskets.

Dejounte needs to improve his finishing ability at the rim. He gets to the paint well enough but he shoots too many stupid floaters. He needs to just practice lay ups with different english and learn how to execute them both left and right handed. He also needs to develop a set shot. Teams are going to back off of him and if he has a set jumper than he can be dangerous.

Metu needs to add muscle and learn how to set screens properly. He also needs to learn how to rebound and a pump fake probably couldn't hurt since he is always rushing his shot. In fact, if he could just learn the game of basketball that would be nice. All I ask from him next year is hustle. I want him running at all times when he's on the court.

DeRozan needs to shoot corner 3's. If he can be Bruce Bowen on offense when White and Murray are doing their thing, then he would be a serviceable player for our future. If fucking PJ Tucker can develop a corner 3, then so can DDR.

Lonnie needs to add muscle and learn how to play defense. I don't care at all about his offense next year. He can shoot and the offense side of the ball he will learn eventually. Defense is what he really needs to learn bc he looks like he has no concept of how to play it. He has the tools and hopefully the work ethic, let's just see if he has the brains.

Poetl needs a 6-8 foot jump shot I don't care if it's an ugly floater as long as it goes in. He also needs to learn how to shoot a hook shot. It's amazing that he doesn't know how to post up a smaller player, turn his shoulder, and shoot a hook shot.

Davis needs to learn how to pump fake and take a side dribble and shoot the ball. Also I've never really seen a person block his 3 before so if he could just have that same confidence on his 2 pointer that would be nice. Too many times he tries to go all the way to the hole when he should pull up and take a jumper. A small isn't going to block him so I don't know why he constantly tries to drive in the paint where all the bigs are.

Mills needs to teach Forbes how to cheer from the bench and wave his towel bc that's all I want from them next year.

BackHome
03-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Eubanks has been a huge surprise another Un drafted guy who could make our team. With Gasoft gone Eubanks is going to get some serious playing time which I think is pissing off Metu. Depending who we draft very easily Metu could be gone but as far as development:

White - 5 pds of Muscle 3 ball
Murray - Everything - Not sure about adding weight coming of knee injury
Poodle- 10 pds of Muscle, free throws, mid range, sky hook
Metu - See Murray
Derozz - 3 ball and handles
Bertans- 10 pds of muscle mid game and 3 ball

cd021
03-06-2019, 07:16 PM
It's a pittance. He's making $838K this year, and his raises can't be very much. If he's smart, he won't think his roster spot is secure next year. He could easily and cheaply be cut. I'd be worried about that if I were him. He's literally shown nothing at the NBA level.

That's true but I am doubtful that they would after one season; they scouted him extensively and were able to nab him and sign him to a cheap multi-year deal. They probably give him another season to see if he is able to show something.

Pavlov
03-06-2019, 07:20 PM
It's a pittance. He's making $838K this year, and his raises can't be very much. If he's smart, he won't think his roster spot is secure next year. He could easily and cheaply be cut. I'd be worried about that if I were him. He's literally shown nothing at the NBA level.They knew he was a two year project going in, but summer league performance will be pretty critical for him.

DPG21920
03-06-2019, 07:24 PM
They knew he was a two year project going in, but summer league performance will be pretty critical for him.

Yup. Ive been underwhelmed with what I have seen, but I doubt anything has greatly changed from PATFO with regards to his standing based on this year alone.

This will be a massive off season for him. He needs to put in some serious work and when he gets to SL as you mentioned, he has to show improvement.

But I’m not high on Metu at the moment and don’t really view him as part of the young core at this point.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2019, 07:28 PM
regarding murray the scrub

if u look at last season or his rookie campaign, most of his high scoring games came from h2h matches against top tier dogs, but in those games he was busy chasing his own counter baskets mind games instead of playing team ball

he needs to know when to score/take over vs team ball... theres no place for hero ball on this team