PDA

View Full Version : Reddit article on DeRozan: insights from Becky Hammon

phxspurfan
03-06-2019, 03:32 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/axmg06/interesting_insight_on_demars_season_from_becky/

JY: Switching to DeMar DeRozan. Do the coaches feel the team got the DeMar from the beginning of the season and did the All-Star break help?

BH: "You know, I don’t know how up front he was with us with his knee. I think it was bothering him more than he was letting on.

Discuss, homers

ZeusWillJudge
03-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Oh to hell with the article. That's just Becky showing that she's sensitive to all the little egos on the team, for when she takes over. I like the comments the best.

DDR is a "solid locker room and culture guy".
Cun and QPon are "Spursy".
"Yeah...DeRozan really WAS playing a lot of minutes, wasn't he?" (Pre-AS he averaged 35.3 minutes. Post-AS, he's all the way down to 34.7 minutes. HUGE drop in playing time. :rolleyes)
"His terrible D is a tad overblown."

"DD already knows he's THAT DUDE so Pop doesn't need to build him up."

Proxy
03-06-2019, 03:50 PM
seemed pretty obvious he was/is playing injured

phxspurfan
03-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Short article but it was obvious Spurs were overplaying him early in the year. But surprised he broke down because he was an MVP candidate a couple seasons ago, averaging 27 PPG with high usage, and isn't old. But Spurs have that kind of injury luck I guess.

Dverde
03-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Maybe Spurs can cut down his minutes during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter....

Genovaswitness
03-06-2019, 04:46 PM
tl;dr dude's bitchmade

ZeusWillJudge
03-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Maybe Spurs can cut down his minutes during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter....

BAM!

vander
03-06-2019, 05:55 PM
a "reddit article"?

oh, so it's just a comment on an article from the Athletic

Russ
03-06-2019, 06:42 PM
BH: "You know, I don’t know how up front [DeRozan] was with us with his knee. I think it was bothering him more than he was letting on.

The Spurs are always hand-wringing about player injuries. Such weenies.

cutewizard
03-06-2019, 08:26 PM
:lobt:

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-06-2019, 10:10 PM
derozan carried the team the first part of the year, got worn down and hurt, manned up and tried to play through it, and now he’s gotten some much needed rest and hopefully is ready to ball

:dramaquee

monty4329
03-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Make it last 12 minutes...

Coach X
03-07-2019, 09:14 AM
You've got to respect the guy.

Plays as point guard, scores, assists, leads the offense in a new team, no excuses. Plays horrible defense, admits it, no excuses. Plays with pain, doesn't say a word until he's forced to rest, no excuses. Takes the ball and every shot when the ball burns, scores at the beginning, now he misses some, again doesn't come with any excuses.

When you have something good, you can expect it to be perfect or you can appreciate what you have.

Kobe'sAchilles
03-07-2019, 09:23 AM
The dude was obviously injured at some point this season. I'm just glad he is healthy again and it shows. People are harping on his late 4th quarter shots but before they harped at literally every quarter he played. So in a way, even Spurstalk has admitted he has improved as of late.

Dverde
03-07-2019, 10:35 AM
He has become exceptionally bad at closing out games. I think it is mental block with him now. He was okay closing out games in the beginning of the season. If he does score late in the game it’s typically a layup drive or getting a foul call.

D-Robinson 50 fan
03-07-2019, 11:33 AM
I respect the hell out of DeRozan but sometimes he makes me want to break my television. Hopefully in the off season Chip can help him be a more respectable 3 point shooter. I most admit he has been a bit better than what I initially thought of him and hopefully next year he can be even better.

Russ
03-07-2019, 11:37 AM
The question with DeRozan is the same as for any player not named Tim Duncan.

Are you better with him or without him.

Not are you better with DeRozan or Kawhi Leonard or Lebron James.

The Spurs are better with DeRozan than without him.

ZeusWillJudge
03-07-2019, 11:37 AM
I respect the hell out of DeRozan but sometimes he makes me want to break my television. Hopefully in the off season Chip can help him be a more respectable 3 point shooter. I most admit he has been a bit better than what I initially thought of him and hopefully next year he can be even better.

LOL. It's the time of year for reading scouting reports and mock drafts. You wouldn't believe how many of them say the same thing: "If he can learn to shoot the 3 effectively, he could turn into a really good player."

Not laughing at you - it's just the holy grail of player development, especially the way the game is being played now.

ZeusWillJudge
03-07-2019, 11:48 AM
The question with DeRozan is the same as for any player not named Tim Duncan.

Are you better with him or without him.

Not are you better with DeRozan or Kawhi Leonard or Lebron James.

The Spurs are better with DeRozan than without him.

Exactly. And they are definitely better off with him than with anyone they can afford to replace him with. So the key is getting the best out of him, and covering for his weaknesses. That's what a GOAT coach is there for.

Trading DeRozan would lose value, and basically dial up a rebuild, which the Spurs obviously aren't going to do. That's why I think the Spurs will try to draft a player who they think has the best shot at being NBA ready now, rather than drafting for the biggest upside down the road.