PDA

View Full Version : Toros watchers: Any chance LWIV will do next year what D-White did this year?

$pursDynasty
03-07-2019, 10:18 AM
I never get to see the Toros but to those that do, is Lonnie showing the potential to make a real contribution to the varsity (Spurs) team next year and how so? Last year I remember reading reports how Derrick was tearing it up in the G-League, so much so that I wondered why we didn't see him more in last year's regular season. However he has gone from getting Metu like minutes last year to now possibly the 2nd best player on the team. Dare I dream the same for Lonnie next year? How does he fit on the team with LMAlpha, D-White, a returning Dijon, Not this Gay and DDR? I have read posts questioning how Dijon will fit in with D-White next year but don't want Lonnie's possible contributions left out as well.

K...
03-07-2019, 10:20 AM
No

duncan2150
03-07-2019, 10:23 AM
I will say no because white was ready when he came to te nba, he's 24 now and walker is only 20. There skillsets are different but i think lonnie will be ready in 2 years, still he can bring us something next year but he needs to improve, especially on defense.

Dex
03-07-2019, 10:25 AM
He's got some work to do, but I see no reason why he can't carve out a role with the big boy squad next year.

He's got the tools athletically. His jump shot seems to be improving. He seems to be gaining confidence.

He just needs to stay on that trajectory offensively, and put some serious focus on improving his defense. Of course, this is all assuming that he stays healthy and that knee holds up...but he seems to be playing pretty fearless in that regard recently.

He will never be the type of player White is (Derrick is, and always has been, a much better passer and playmaker)...but I see no reason why Lonnie couldn't at least be a "spark of the bench" type of player next season.

phxspurfan
03-07-2019, 10:27 AM
My hunch is that LW needs to lead the JV squad a la CoJo, Kyle Anderson, and DWhite before he can make it on the Spurs varsity club. He would benefit from the added PT and learning the pro offense.

8FOR!3
03-07-2019, 10:32 AM
We drafted him green bc he's super athletic and has potential (handles, jumper, defense, etc.) so I'm not upset if he's not ready to play next year. I think athletically he's going to move better than most guys he's playing against even at the NBA level, so he's probably playable off the bench day one (but he's going to make a lot of mistakes.) I'd say take your time with him and just make sure he's getting a lot of playing time. If it's in the G league that's fine.

offset formation
03-07-2019, 10:45 AM
His D is just atrocious. Like way worse than people say about Marco or Bryn. He simply won't get much run unless and until that improves so long as Pop is coaching at least.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 10:48 AM
He was supposed to get minutes this year, so he'll likely be just fine next year. He'll lead the SL team, go through training camp, and play meaningful minutes next year. He's a better 3 point shooter than both White and DJ, and just by virtue of physical attributes, a better defender than Forbes, Patty, and Beli.

monty4329
03-07-2019, 10:57 AM
If you seen him just 5 minutes, you know the answer. At this point I am even doubdtful he will find meaningful minutes. Right now he doesn't have NBA skills, and to be honest he doesn't seem to possess a high basketball IQ neither. He can develop into a shorter version of Faried with some useful jump shot, maybe. Other than that, he is cut from a different cloth than White, honestly.

Mr. Body
03-07-2019, 11:00 AM
By the second half of the season, probably some decent spot minutes, but not the insta-starter White has been this year.

kaji157
03-07-2019, 11:05 AM
White more or less always looked like a finished product, a rounded player that could improve in some areas but that what he brings to the table today is what he would bring for the years to come. At the end, that translated very well to the NBA level.
Walker on the orther hand is quite the opposite, a promising young guard who has the tools to develop a complete game, but that seaminglly raw skillset is yet to be developed into something that can or cannot translate.

BackHome
03-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Yeah he will get some burn depending on how his defense is but with us having White, Murray, DEROZZ, and Mills would be tough to get consistent minutes. If he can improve his D I would love for him to replace Mills and Forbes sooner rather then latter.

Russ
03-07-2019, 11:11 AM
They are opposite type players.

White is an overacheiver who had to fight through prejudice that he just wasn't good enough since he was a kid.

Walker is a can't-miss athlete that everyone has been drooling over since he was a kid.

They can both find success with an astute organization like the Spurs, but it's unlikely that one will follow the path of the other along the way.

Simply put, White is more of a building block and Walker is a later addition in the process, more of the icing on the cake of a high-end squad.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Walker has a long way to go. His injury this season didn't help his development either.

TDomination
03-07-2019, 11:13 AM
I will say no because white was ready when he came to te nba, he's 24 now and walker is only 20. There skillsets are different but i think lonnie will be ready in 2 years, still he can bring us something next year but he needs to improve, especially on defense.

This.

DWhite is much more mature as a player. Naturally he will have a higher BBall IQ.
But if Lonnie can really focus on defense this summer and let that be his #1 priority, then he will see minutes next year.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 11:16 AM
His D is just atrocious. Like way worse than people say about Marco or Bryn. He simply won't get much run unless and until that improves so long as Pop is coaching at least.

Defense can be coached, and his physical profile will allow him to cover up some of his mistakes. I'm not sure that his defense is as bad as you state. Most acknowledge his offensive potential, and he hasn't exactly showed that yet, either. Both are hard to do in garbage time.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 11:36 AM
If you seen him just 5 minutes, you know the answer. At this point I am even doubdtful he will find meaningful minutes. Right now he doesn't have NBA skills, and to be honest he doesn't seem to possess a high basketball IQ neither. He can develop into a shorter version of Faried with some useful jump shot, maybe. Other than that, he is cut from a different cloth than White, honestly.

Spurs would never have drafted him if that was his ceiling. They're high on him, and with their PD history, I like his chances to blossom.

Yes, he's different than White. No, that's not a bad thing. Other than improving his 3 pointer, White is likely done developing. Lonnie has a lot of room to grow, and a really high ceiling.

Play Boban
03-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Well, he is a moon landing denier, so maybe he can channel his inner Kyrie.

Oh wait, he's an injured scrub, no disrespect intended. He'll be lucky to be G League worthy next year at the rate he's regressing.

ceperez
03-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Let's be fair here, nobody knew that White could play defense. There was no evidence how good he could play defense while playing in the g-league.

I've been watching White for quite a while now. I never thought that he could play defense like he has shown. I knew he reacted in defense very quickly, but I couldn't tell if that would translate to the NBA.

About Walker? He's got more physical tools that White. Doesn't have the same level of experience. That's what you get when you draft a one and done player.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Let's be fair here, nobody knew that White could play defense. There was no evidence how good he could play defense while playing in the g-league.

I've been watching White for quite a while now. I never thought that he could play defense like he has shown. I knew he reacted in defense very quickly, but I couldn't tell if that would translate to the NBA.

About Walker? He's got more physical tools that White. Doesn't have the same level of experience. That's what you get when you draft a one and done player.

He was PAC-12 All Defense, even after transferring up from NCAA D II to D I level basketball.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Disagree about the lack of skills. Not refined, raw, etc. - sure, but he's got a quick first step, he can dribble, he can find his spots especially for midrange Js, he has a nice looking shot, he's very athletic, long and quick - all NBA skills to work with. Defense and basketball IQ have been iffy in the g-league but dude's only 20. At 20 White's been playing division 2 basketball.

cd98
03-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Walker will probably be a bench player last year, given that Demar, Murray, and potentially White will be starters. But depending on his play, Walker may work himself into the starting line up. Either way, I think he will be productive, but may need two years to establish himself as a key cog.

cd98
03-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Spurs stole White, btw. Sure, he's older. But at 24, he's definitely a starting caliber point guard even if he doesn't improve much over the rest of his career.

John B
03-07-2019, 01:41 PM
White is likely done developing.
I hope not. I think we'll see him attacking the basket more and more, and becoming the closer to end games instead of Demar, because of White's better general vision of the game. So I expect him to develop more how to break defenses, like Manu. Somebody said that dunk was Manuesque. So true. I think he will fast become our 2nd option. I hope it doesn't affect him distributing the ball, but could turn on/off when he needs to score, like Nash did.

Lonnie has all the physical tools, but he seems not as bright a bball IQ. I mean he's supposed to be a geek, right? But I haven't seen anyone who's so lost in the court. I mean maybe a player 1-2 days after getting traded. But Lonnie has been playing with the Toros, apparently using the same plays. I mean Eubanks seem like he knows what he's doing, where he's suppose to be. Lonnie, eh. He's a bookworm, so hopefully he learns soon. Because a White/Murray/Lonnie guard rotation is scary.

DAF86
03-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Lonnie doesn't seem to have nowhere close to White's BBIQ.

R. DeMurre
03-07-2019, 01:54 PM
D White dominated the G league last year, putting up great traditional & Advanced numbers, which led to Wins for Austin, and a G League championship. Then he completely dominated the Summer League, usually looking like the best player on the floor. He's a perfect example of how player development can work. Walker hasn't accomplished anything close to that yet. I still have confidence that he can become a good player thanks to his superior athletic talents & the Spurs' ability to improve the skills of their young players, but he's not quite in the same place that White was at this point last year yet.

ginobilized
03-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Yes!
Absolutely!

On the Austin Toros

BackHome
03-07-2019, 02:02 PM
About a 4 year difference in age and Walker was drafted on potential which usually means more development time. I think White will be playing the Manu roll and I think eventually him and Walker will make a good tag team. Walker brings more slashing and cutting to the baskets and White will easily set him up for some easy dunks.

Walker will spend the majority of time in G League next year which I am fine with as he was drafted on potential. Plus I know Poop is not going to get rid of Forbes or Mills next year which means no playing time for him.

John B
03-07-2019, 02:24 PM
I think White will be playing the Manu roll and I think eventually him and Walker will make a good tag team.
I doubt we see White stepping back to the 2nd unit when Murray comes back. It is fast becoming like White will soon be the 2nd option of the team, and only because Spurs play in-and-out with Aldridge. But White is the general, the facilitator and later on closer to end games. I expect him to attack the basket more, learn how to break defenses more, absorb contacts, with the first unit, not coming off the bench. Walker, on the other hand, could be that Manu 6th man, with his promising athletic skills, and could be a dizzying Murray/White/Lonnie inside, which could be scary.

TheGreatYacht
03-07-2019, 02:41 PM
He's two years away from being two years away.

Hope he's packaged with Mills before his hype dies down. The less playing time in the pros, the better for his stock.

BackHome
03-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Lol dude you said the same thing when we drafted White.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 03:18 PM
I hope not. I think we'll see him attacking the basket more and more, and becoming the closer to end games instead of Demar, because of White's better general vision of the game. So I expect him to develop more how to break defenses, like Manu. Somebody said that dunk was Manuesque. So true. I think he will fast become our 2nd option. I hope it doesn't affect him distributing the ball, but could turn on/off when he needs to score, like Nash did.

Lonnie has all the physical tools, but he seems not as bright a bball IQ. I mean he's supposed to be a geek, right? But I haven't seen anyone who's so lost in the court. I mean maybe a player 1-2 days after getting traded. But Lonnie has been playing with the Toros, apparently using the same plays. I mean Eubanks seem like he knows what he's doing, where he's suppose to be. Lonnie, eh. He's a bookworm, so hopefully he learns soon. Because a White/Murray/Lonnie guard rotation is scary.

Did you watch the ATL game? He is doing or has done all of those things. He amazes me with his ability to get uncontested layups in the half court offense, usually 2-3 per game. I'm with Sean, though. With many mouths to feed in an egalitarian offense, your PG needs to be an opportunistic scorer, not a 30 point monster like Westbrook. I see White putting up averages of 16-17p/5r/6a, checking at the All Defensive level, and the Spurs will be fine.

Larry O
03-07-2019, 03:24 PM
In last night's interview with Tha Ninja, Sean asked DW4 if he's playing with a chip on his shoulder. White pretty much acknowledged that. If you look at White's BB journey, there's probably a reason why he plays as he does (and cried that night Pop called him on draft night). I'm sure that after he was told that he was too small; too short; too ugly, lol, to play in a Division 1 college BB program, he has worked his tail off to prove the naysayers wrong, & it has payed off & it shows (what an honor to be playing for the Spurs!). LW4 on the otherhand, while he had a rough life growing up in Pa, I just see his driving force and path to be different from DW4's, therefore I think that LW4's maturity level has some growing along with his BB skills & IQ. I'm hoping that he will take it seriously & commit to working on his game & meet or exceed his potintial. Like all the other posters, I can finally see reaping those benefits in two years from now, unless he shows us differently, one way or the other. GSG!!!

monty4329
03-07-2019, 03:29 PM

White development will be better shooting, and better dribbling in traffic whoch is a bit iffy. Other than that, the guy is already a legitimate starter for a playoffs team. He will be 25 next year, already "old" for today's NBA. Not much room to improve, timewise. Anyway, improving would mean get into the top 10 point guards (those who think he is a SG are wrong), and for that he doesn't have the physical talent nor the explosiveness. To me, he is already an elite NBA player anyway.

Lonnie is nowhere near. Every player picked before and several picked after him are playing solid minutes and contributing. I don't mind him being a project, that's fine. But he is no White or Murray.

sasaint
03-07-2019, 03:39 PM

I agree about White's defense. But the biggest difference is White has a very high BBIQ and the best court vision on the team. Lonnie is just an athlete at this point. Comparing the two is apples to oranges. I don't see them on the same trajectory at all, based on their disparate ages/maturity as well as their disparate talents

monty4329
03-07-2019, 03:39 PM
BTW I am quite curious to see next year's starting fives. It is a given that cancer DDR will still be here, hence White-Murray-LA-DDR are locks, who will shoot 3s in the first unit?

exstatic
03-07-2019, 04:09 PM
BTW I am quite curious to see next year's starting fives. It is a given that cancer DDR will still be here, hence White-Murray-LA-DDR are locks, who will shoot 3s in the first unit?

Rudy and Bertans both fit that bill.

Larry O
03-07-2019, 04:17 PM

LOL!!! FORBES, LOL!!!

cd98
03-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Lonnie doesn't seem to have nowhere close to White's BBIQ.

That's true, except don't forget two things. One, we are seeing White after two summer leagues and a full season in Austin. And two, White was 6ft coming out of high school. At that size, you have to develop not only a solid game against larger guards, but you have to work on court vision, etc. Basically, you have to accommodate for being a 6ft guard. Then, in college, he grew to 6'5. That's huge from a basketball perspective.

Lonnie strikes me as someone who has been athletically gifted and had the right size during every stage of his career. So he could rely on being more athletic and stronger than the other players his size. That gets negated to an extent in the NBA. But it means that he has to learn to adjust to a league where the average player is on par with you athletically or can compensate for it in a greater skill set. Anyone's guess as to whether he can make the adjustment to get consistent minutes in the NBA, but the Spurs do a great job of developing useful players with less raw athleticism and jump shooting ability. Lonnie has good jump shot mechanics that could help him translate into a good all around player.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 04:43 PM
That's true, except don't forget two things. One, we are seeing White after two summer leagues and a full season in Austin. And two, White was 6ft coming out of high school. At that size, you have to develop not only a solid game against larger guards, but you have to work on court vision, etc. Basically, you have to accommodate for being a 6ft guard. Then, in college, he grew to 6'5. That's huge from a basketball perspective.

Lonnie strikes me as someone who has been athletically gifted and had the right size during every stage of his career. So he could rely on being more athletic and stronger than the other players his size. That gets negated to an extent in the NBA. But it means that he has to learn to adjust to a league where the average player is on par with you athletically or can compensate for it in a greater skill set. Anyone's guess as to whether he can make the adjustment to get consistent minutes in the NBA, but the Spurs do a great job of developing useful players with less raw athleticism and jump shooting ability. Lonnie has good jump shot mechanics that could help him translate into a good all around player.

The thing about having that athleticism is that when your knowledge catches up, and the Spurs have a history of making that happen, you take off like a rocket. I don't think LW IV is an average or par athlete by NBA standards. I think he's elite NBA athlete. He's got a 40" fucking vert. If they work on cleaning up his handles, shot selection (his form is very pure), and defense, he could be a monster. Probably not next year, though.

spurraider21
03-07-2019, 04:58 PM
i cant see it... i think he needs another year to hone his game before he has white levels of impact

BackHome
03-07-2019, 05:01 PM
White could easily be putting up 15 to 20 pts per game if Poop gave him the go ahead. As it turns out he is the 3rd or 4th fidle as far as shooting which is a shame as he easily the best guard on the team.

cd021
03-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Think Belinelli will continue to be ahead of him, though he could push him for minutes later next season. He'll probably get spot minutes but not an impact player till year three.

exstatic
03-07-2019, 05:29 PM
White could easily be putting up 15 to 20 pts per game if Poop gave him the go ahead. As it turns out he is the 3rd or 4th fidle as far as shooting which is a shame as he easily the best guard on the team.

Then he'd wind up being Ben McLemore, a player with a vert, a jumpshot, and nothing else, not even a team. There's a reason that SA is known for player development and Sacto isn't, and it isn't because we rush our players into action and teach them nothing.

Mugen
03-07-2019, 05:36 PM
:lol So many stupid takes in this thread tbh...

Is Lonnie going to be as good as DWhite is this year? No, he's much younger and raw.

But the bar shouldn't be 2019 Derrick White, the bar should be better than 2019 Fatty Mills or 2019 Bryn Forbes and Lonnie eclipsed that bar the moment he was drafted. Anybody that doesn't think he should be playing above those two losers next season is a fucking moron or Pop sucker and probably both tbh.

TheCerebral1
03-07-2019, 05:51 PM
He's two years away from being two years away.

Hope he's packaged with Mills before his hype dies down. The less playing time in the pros, the better for his stock.

I agree with this, trade him with Mills to get younger!

GAustex
03-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Walker has shown only that he can jump and he at times can get his own shot.
He is clueless on individual and man defense.
If he does not have the ball in his hands he stands around with his hand in the air.
He has a long way to go.
He can jump though....

Uriel
03-07-2019, 07:54 PM
They are opposite type players.

White is an overacheiver who had to fight through prejudice that he just wasn't good enough since he was a kid.

Walker is a can't-miss athlete that everyone has been drooling over since he was a kid.

They can both find success with an astute organization like the Spurs, but it's unlikely that one will follow the path of the other along the way.

Simply put, White is more of a building block and Walker is a later addition in the process, more of the icing on the cake of a high-end squad.
Yup.

Walker arguably has the higher ceiling. But White is more polished and better right now.

tbdog
03-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Murray was also 19/20 when he was drafted and was inconsistent but looked good for a year 2 player and defensively he was ahead of the curb. Plus Murray was one of the best if not the best offensive rebounding pg in the league. It was interesting to see Gasol sit at the 3 point line with Murray out rebounding opposing guards. Walker hasn't got that skill set where he is already better in certain areas than other players. He is a prospect that could be in year 3 of his rookie deal as good as Donovon Mitchell was in his rookie year which was a relentless scorer with iffy D, hidden due to Gobert being a dominant defensive big.

White was like 22 or 23 upon being drafted. His body was more NBA ready and he had a patient game. The reason behind his success now is that he is far more athletic than people think. He is very sneaky how athletic and fast he is. He just rarely uses it which is great for his long term career.

D-Robinson 50 fan
03-07-2019, 08:51 PM
CD98 post is 100% spot on in my opinion. I think if Lonnie is a hard worker and receptive to coaching he is going to be a really good player. The big thing though is him being receptive to coaching because like the post states most players in the NBA have good to great athletic abilities but the great players work hard on their skill

ceperez
03-08-2019, 04:57 AM

I agree. White had to develop a game while being inferior size wise to everyone in the court. That's 3 years in division 2.

Lonnie is athletically superior but he's only had 1 year in college (white has had 4 years). One can however argue that 1 year in the Spurs is better training than 1 year in a division 2 school.

Then there also the problem that it takes time for players to finally get it. Many players have a hard time with the Spurs system. However, there are folks like Diaw that get it in day one.

Aldridge took a long time to get it. DeRozan is still trying to figure it out. Gay almosts gets it.

Kyle Anderson got it, but didn't have the physical talent.

White, he gets it, and he gets it beyond what the coaches can even teach. He's got Tony Parker shiftiness in offense and he's got Danny Green anticipation in defense. Spurs should probably take back Parker and Green so that White can continue to learn more from these two.

Coach X
03-08-2019, 05:40 AM
I'm with the ones highlighting White's maturity impacted by his life and basketball experiences. Lonnie is younger and immature as a player yet. It will take some more time for him to make the most of his potential. IMO, the number one priority for him must be DEFENSE. His offense is fine: he doesn't have the point guard mentality but that's not a problem as he has the physical tools to play in the SG position. The understanding of the game will come to him through the experience of staying in the pro-team, observing and learning the game and listening to the coaches. He just needs to focus on playing solid defense as soon as possible.

I expect him to be in the NBA rotation next year as the 5th-6th guard behind White, Murray, Mills, Forbes and Belinelli/DeRozan. White and Murray should play more than 60 minutes; Mills, Marco and Forbes play the bench minutes with DeRozan playing punctual minutes at the 2 and Lonnie could start playing the garbage time and get into the rotation replacing injured players, rest, etc.
I'd trade away Forbes, giving more room for Lonnie, if the team is able to add a 3&D forward.

John B
03-08-2019, 09:38 AM
I'm with the ones highlighting White's maturity impacted by his life and basketball experiences. Lonnie is younger and immature as a player yet. It will take some more time for him to make the most of his potential. IMO, the number one priority for him must be DEFENSE. His offense is fine: he doesn't have the point guard mentality but that's not a problem as he has the physical tools to play in the SG position. The understanding of the game will come to him through the experience of staying in the pro-team, observing and learning the game and listening to the coaches. He just needs to focus on playing solid defense as soon as possible.

I expect him to be in the NBA rotation next year as the 5th-6th guard behind White, Murray, Mills, Forbes and Belinelli/DeRozan. White and Murray should play more than 60 minutes; Mills, Marco and Forbes play the bench minutes with DeRozan playing punctual minutes at the 2 and Lonnie could start playing the garbage time and get into the rotation replacing injured players, rest, etc.
I'd trade away Forbes, giving more room for Lonnie, if the team is able to add a 3&D forward.
Agree. Forbes or Mills is redundant and will trade one of them to give minutes to Lonnie, who has more upside than the two. Lonnie will get it in time. The coaches will make sure of that. Him and Metu have the physical tools. But White has the bball iq and poise beyond years.

exstatic
03-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Agree. Forbes or Mills is redundant and will trade one of them to give minutes to Lonnie, who has more upside than the two. Lonnie will get it in time. The coaches will make sure of that. Him and Metu have the physical tools. But White has the bball iq and poise beyond years.

Actually, being 24, he has the poise OF his years.

Forbes will likely draw the short straw, since he's only making $3M. Patty is virtually untradeable. Metu was a second round flyer that looks not to have panned out. He's terrible at the NBA level, and would be a cheap cut, at less than $1M.

Lonnie not only has more upside than Patty or Forbes, he has more upside than White. Will he realize that upside? It depends on 3 things: health, coachability, and work ethic.

John B
03-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Actually, being 24, he has the poise OF his years.

Forbes will likely draw the short straw, since he's only making $3M. Patty is virtually untradeable. Metu was a second round flyer that looks not to have panned out. He's terrible at the NBA level, and would be a cheap cut, at less than $1M.

Lonnie not only has more upside than Patty or Forbes, he has more upside than White. Will he realize that upside? It depends on 3 things: health, coachability, and work ethic.
I hope Lonnie realizes soon, because that Murray/White/Lonnie rotation is scary good, and Pop has tinkered with 3 guards lineup before

TimDunkem
03-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Three guard lineups are gross against anything other than another three guard lineup.

buttsR4rebounding
03-08-2019, 11:43 AM
It seems likely that Lonnie spends another year with the Toros. With Forbes, Beli with another year on their contracts and Mills 2 more years it seems likely that there just isn't playing time for him. That combined with DJ coming back and Lonnie's sub-NBA level skill set it is logical for him to spend another year honing his game. Unless there is a trade including Forbes, Beli, or Mills during the off season I would bet Lonnie stays in Austin. And even then with DJM coming back there still may not be minutes for Lonnie.

XDT76
03-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Lonnie will do well if he improves like Forbes in the last off season, more consistent 3s and better defensive awareness.

exstatic
03-08-2019, 11:53 AM
It seems likely that Lonnie spends another year with the Toros. With Forbes, Beli with another year on their contracts and Mills 2 more years it seems likely that there just isn't playing time for him. That combined with DJ coming back and Lonnie's sub-NBA level skill set it is logical for him to spend another year honing his game. Unless there is a trade including Forbes, Beli, or Mills during the off season I would bet Lonnie stays in Austin. And even then with DJM coming back there still may not be minutes for Lonnie.

Word is, LW IV was supposed to get big club minutes THIS year, before his meniscus tear de-railed his training camp/pre-season. I can't see another full year in Austin for him, although a few games here and there may help keep him sharp and hone his training.

Forbes can sit as far as I'm concerned. He only makes $3M, and frankly, would be fairly easy to move if they decided to go that route.

ceperez
03-08-2019, 11:55 AM
The year is running down, we haven't really see Walker IV in action. He better get moving!

John B
03-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Three guard lineups are gross against anything other than another three guard lineup.
It would be if we're talking three 6 footers. But these are 6'5" athletic guards who can all create shots (waiting judgement on Lonnie). White/Murray/Lonnie would be sick both offense and scary defense

J_Paco
03-08-2019, 12:37 PM
I agree with this, trade him with Mills to get younger!

Walker is only 20, so how much "younger" does the team need to get? They need more quality prospects, yes, but they have two 1st round picks to either draft or move up and get "younger."

Dealing either or two of Mills, Forbes or Belinelli should be on the table if, if Lonnie shows enough progress during the summer.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
03-08-2019, 01:45 PM
No!

Chinook
03-08-2019, 02:05 PM
They're not even the same players. Walker is much closer to Murray than he is to White. Walker's already showing he can hang the in the d-league. He has a lot of development to do, but he'll be way better in a year than he is now. Anyway, the team will hopefully not need Lonnie next season. In 2020-2021 when the roster pretty much breaks up, Walker should have a chance to be a designated shooter, energy player off the bench, essentially with Beli does now. Next year, he's blocked from the rotation looking at the projected depth chart. He'll likely get a lot of minutes, but I just don't think he'll have the opportunity to do what White is doing for a while yet, even if he is more ready than he currently appears to be.

ceperez
03-08-2019, 03:14 PM
They're not even the same players. Walker is much closer to Murray than he is to White. Walker's already showing he can hang the in the d-league. He has a lot of development to do, but he'll be way better in a year than he is now. Anyway, the team will hopefully not need Lonnie next season. In 2020-2021 when the roster pretty much breaks up, Walker should have a chance to be a designated shooter, energy player off the bench, essentially with Beli does now. Next year, he's blocked from the rotation looking at the projected depth chart. He'll likely get a lot of minutes, but I just don't think he'll have the opportunity to do what White is doing for a while yet, even if he is more ready than he currently appears to be.

I agree. Walker is a bigger more athletic Murray that can shoot.

I hope though that Walker can play some NBA games in his rookie season like what Murray and White were able to do. They did so with even more stacked rosters.

Murray played 38 games and started in 8 in his rookie season.
White played 17 games in his rookie season.
Walker has so far played only 7 games.

BackHome
03-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Walker has looked bad when has played

exstatic
03-08-2019, 03:44 PM

He's 19, and didn't get a full training camp. That shouldn't be a surprise. At this point, he's not much different than a HS player who made the jump. He didn't even have a full NCAA season. He needs time, and instruction, two things that are in short supply during the season.

Pavlov
03-08-2019, 03:53 PM
I agree. Walker is a bigger more athletic Murray that can shoot.They aren't very much alike at all.

C-Dub
03-08-2019, 05:23 PM
LW4 is not a LBJ type talent which most aren't so it will take a while to determine how good he will be compared to what White dis doing in his 2nd year as a 23 or so year old player. LW4 is 3 or 4 years younger than White so you can't compare. Speaking from my own growth in life, I was much better at pretty much all aspects in life at 24 than when I was 19-20 years old.

SpurSpike
03-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Lonnie needs to make a titanic jump if he is to do what White did this year. I don't see it happening.

Now Murray on the other hand is primed to make the jump, his body just needs to let it happen!

Atl Spur
03-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Let that man live! He will be fine....... Did any of you start your jobs at the top day one?? Try to at least have reasonable expectations��

SupremeGuy
03-08-2019, 06:28 PM
No way. The dude is clearly an idiot. It's a wasted pick that we're just going to have to deal with...

duncan2150
03-08-2019, 07:24 PM

one thing people need to realize, you can't play 5 minutes per month and be good. it's difficult to adjust to the game, i agree That he is not ready but nothing replace the game.

wildbill2u
03-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Walker could have the right stuff skillwise if he has the right stuff mentally. Sir Charles, taling about physically talented young players. put it so well: "Deer can run fast and jump high, but you don't see any making the jump to the NBA."

It is so hard for young players with outstanding physical ability to avoid the trap of overestimating their place in the NBA world. They have been lauded for all their careers as outstanding prospects because of their physical talents that they don't understand that they may have areas that need improvement in order to become even a good rotational player, much less a star.

The Spurs method of slower development means fewer minutes than they think they are due. The first time they are able to get a offer with some guaranteed minutes, they will change teams. I hope he isn't one of those, but you have to accept the possibility that we may process him into a usable player and then lose him.

25apr
03-09-2019, 09:29 PM
G league stats
https://stats.gleague.nba.com

Player Impact Estimate(PIE)

2018-19
DREW EUBANKS 16.8
BEN MOORE 13.2
DEJUAN BLAIR 12.8
CHIMEZIE METU 11.6
JOSH HUESTIS 4.6
LONNIE WALKER IV 9.4
RAY MCCALLUM 10.8 ACC

2017-18
DAVIS BERTANS 15.7
DERRICK WHITE 15.1
JARON BLOSSOMGAME 14.6
LIVIO JEAN-CHARLES 13.7
BRANDON PAUL 10.1

2016-17
BRYN FORBES 13.7
DEJOUNTE MURRAY 12.6
LIVIO JEAN-CHARLES 10.7
DAVIS BERTANS 9.3
RAY MCCALLUM 13.1 GRD

2015-16
BOBAN MARJANOVIC 23.8
BRYCE COTTON 15,2
DESHAUN THOMAS 12.9
CADY LALANNE 11.1
RAY MCCALLUM 10.0 AUS

2014-15
JAMYCHAL GREEN 17.5
KYLE ANDERSON 12.9
BRYCE COTTON 12.2
JONATHON SIMMONS 8.9

2013-14
ARON BAYNES 18.2
NANDO DE COLO 16.6
MALCOLM THOMAS 14.9
AUSTIN DAYE 14.1
JONATHON SIMMONS 10.4
RAY MCCALLUM 12.0 RNO

2012-13
ARON BAYNES 16.3
JAMYCHAL GREEN 13.8
CORY JOSEPH 13.5
NANDO DE COLO 12.9

2011-12
CORY JOSEPH 13.0

2010-11
DANNY GREEN 12.3

In its simplest terms, PIE shows what % of game events did that player or team achieve. The stats being analyzed are your traditional basketball statistics (PTS, REB, AST, TOV, etc..) A team that achieves more than 50% is likely to be a winning team. A player that achieves more than 10% is likely to be better than the average player.
https://stats.nba.com/help/faq/

Formula (PTS + FGM + FTM - FGA - FTA + DREB + (.5 * OREB) + AST + STL + (.5 * BLK) - PF - TO) / (GmPTS + GmFGM + GmFTM - GmFGA - GmFTA + GmDREB + (.5 * GmOREB) + GmAST + GmSTL + (.5 * GmBLK) - GmPF - GmTO)