PDA

View Full Version : Pretty impressive, tbh

FkLA
03-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Saw this on the reddits. I know the playoff streak is common knowledge but seeing it visually (and the comparison to other organizations) still hit me in the feels. :cry

https://i.imgur.com/VXy0r6y.jpg?1

Russ
03-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Saw this on the reddits. I know the playoff streak is common knowledge but seeing it visually (and the comparison to other organizations) still hit me in the feels. :cry

Still wanna tank?

slick'81
03-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Still wanna tank?

But can we keep the streak going if pop retires next season?

wildcardX
03-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Wow, had the Spurs missed the playoffs in 2010 they would still lead the league. More impressive is that if you take out that 1997 year, the next year that they missed the playoffs I think was in 1988.

John B
03-08-2019, 08:31 PM

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

BackHome
03-08-2019, 08:32 PM
That’s pretty crazzy man. :flag:

John B
03-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Lonnie Walker wasn’t even born then :lmao

spursistan
03-08-2019, 08:45 PM
I know folks wanted a higher draft pick this season and last but tying 76ers all playoffs streak (22) isn't too shabby..Next year we hopefully break it..

It is a record that will probably never be matched or even approached in the future.. Imagine a 1/4 of century of making the playoffs each and every year :lol..

Twisted_Dawg
03-08-2019, 08:47 PM
State has only been relevent for 7 years.

Chris
03-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Deep State CIA Pop :tu

Play Boban
03-08-2019, 08:48 PM
I hate everyone who says we should tank. Disgusting humans.

timtonymanu
03-08-2019, 08:49 PM

Guilty as charged. Fuck you too!

spursistan
03-08-2019, 08:53 PM

For a Top 8-10 pick, I get it, but there is almost zero difference between picks in the 10-20 range safe for the rare stumble into a Kawhi/Giannis ..

tlongII
03-08-2019, 08:58 PM

The Tank is why you have that record.

John B
03-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Does anybody think Pop cares? Deep inside, I think yes. While it’s good for the franchise. It’s a testimony also to his being the GOAT. He had a lot to do with it also.

timtonymanu
03-08-2019, 09:00 PM
For a Top 8-10 pick, I get it, but there is almost zero difference between picks in the 10-20 range safe for the rare stumble into a Kawhi/Giannis ..

It’s also wanting to avoid another loss to the Warriors. But I guess Spurs can’t really control that. A playoff appearance is inevitable. I just hope the team just doesn’t use the Murray being out excuse to stand pat like they do every season.

spurs1990
03-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Thank you for posting OP that is an amazing graphic.

It begs the question why is this franchise not celebrated nationally.
The conventional remark is that more than half the league makes the playoffs, but seeing #2 Houston/GS at the year 2012 serves notice how dominant this club is.

Wow, had the Spurs missed the playoffs in 2010 they would still lead the league. More impressive is that if you take out that 1997 year, the next year that they missed the playoffs I think was in 1988.

That would be 29 playoff appearances out of the last 30 seasons, and 30 out of 31 counting 2019.
I'll bet every other team has missed close to 10 playoffs in that same span.

Philthemage
03-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Even going as far back as when Spurs joined the NBA in the 76/77 season, we've only missed the playoffs 4 times in over 40 years.

ElNono
03-08-2019, 09:33 PM

sup bro, need a hug?

BD24
03-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Damn, shocking that no other team has a streak even going back to pre 2010. If you think of all the teams that have been good and gone away during that period as well it’s pretty amazing

vander
03-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Fuck Kawhi

cool cat
03-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Even going as far back as when Spurs joined the NBA in the 76/77 season, we've only missed the playoffs 4 times in over 40 years.

Was about to say this. Only missed 4 times ever is most impressive.

superbigtime
03-09-2019, 12:20 AM
it certainly is

rascal
03-09-2019, 12:40 AM

Tim Duncan is for that long run. That is how great Duncan was and he had a long run of productive years.

sasaint
03-09-2019, 12:58 AM

:toast Thanks for posting the graphic. it does have more impact than just a verbal description. And we never see it mentioned in a comparative way like this graphic. We have been seriously blessed and spoiled. :flag:

baseline bum
03-09-2019, 01:13 AM
Tim Duncan is for that long run. That is how great Duncan was and he had a long run of productive years.

And you had an equally long run bitching about him and how boring you found watching him to be.

JPB
03-09-2019, 01:29 AM

That was 20 years ago, when you still had "franchise players" for 15 years and with one other star (Jordan + Pippen, Stockton + Malone...) were enough for a title run...

Flash forward to 2019 and you have 4 all stars, including 2 MVPs in their prime + Cousins in GS and despite tanking hard for 3 or 4 years Philly barely has a better record than SA in the freaking east...

What did LA get with their lottery picks? Randle, Russel, Lonzo, Ingram... and they'e missing the PO with LeRetreat.

As far as franchise players are concerned, call yourself happy if your tank pick doesn't ask for a trade during draft night because his "group" isn't happy of the color you picked for practice jerseys... and if you can keep him more than 3 years anyway... Add to this injuries and tanking isn't worth a crap nowadays..., not that I would ever want it anyway.

Porzingis POOF!... Nerlens Noel POOF! Markelle Fultz POOF!

Meanwhile Derrick and to Dejounte...

spurs10
03-09-2019, 01:41 AM
Yes people forget that the Spurs are the most winning team in all team sports for twenty years leading to 2018- baseball, football, basketball, hockey. Impressive indeed!
:flag:

TDomination
03-09-2019, 06:16 AM
That's awesome!
I've always wanted the spurs to make the playoffs this year so that white can get some experience. But seeing this definitely makes me want them to continue their streak. That's pretty impressive.

Harry Callahan
03-09-2019, 06:43 AM
>90 percent playoff rate since 1976. Not too shabby - even for the NBA.

WallyTiger
03-09-2019, 07:51 AM
All because of TimDuncan, what a legend.

benefactor
03-09-2019, 09:03 AM
I was 19:lol

Russ
03-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Only missed 4 times ever is most impressive.

The Lakers have missed the playoffs more times in the last five years than the Spurs have in their entire existence.

Keepin' it real
03-09-2019, 09:59 AM

:cry

spurs1990
03-09-2019, 11:48 AM
That was 20 years ago, when you still had "franchise players" for 15 years and with one other star (Jordan + Pippen, Stockton + Malone...) were enough for a title run...

Flash forward to 2019 and you have 4 all stars, including 2 MVPs in their prime + Cousins in GS and despite tanking hard for 3 or 4 years Philly barely has a better record than SA in the freaking east...

What did LA get with their lottery picks? Randle, Russel, Lonzo, Ingram... and they'e missing the PO with LeRetreat.

As far as franchise players are concerned, call yourself happy if your tank pick doesn't ask for a trade during draft night because his "group" isn't happy of the color you picked for practice jerseys... and if you can keep him more than 3 years anyway... Add to this injuries and tanking isn't worth a crap nowadays..., not that I would ever want it anyway.

Excellent comment. Looking at today's standings the only top 5 pick that's anchoring one of the top four teams is Durant. and as you say an asterisk could be applied to him.

Then you have Antetokoumpo, No. 2, the entire Nuggets rotation, none of whom were picked in the high lottery. Portland looks to be a serious contender this May and Lillard was an unheralded pick.

The Indiana Pacers have the current fifth best league record and you'd be hard pressed to name two players, or their coach. This is without #2 overall Oladipo who was given up on by two teams already.

Then conversely San Antonio has found three rotation players with end of the 1st Rd picks - Anderson, Murray, and White, three of four drafts. Not counting foreign picks they've hit on every first rounder this decade with only James Anderson being out of the league.

They have two picks this summer. Last time they got Cory Joseph and Leanord. Heckuva track record.

Play Boban
03-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Guilty as charged. Fuck you too!
I’m not the one rooting for the good guys to lose. Traitor!

Play Boban
03-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Truth nuke. If we wanted to tank, we should’ve done it from game 1. A 13th pick is more likely to be a scrub than a good player, so tanking for that is the definition of moronic.

Play Boban
03-09-2019, 12:28 PM
That was a real tank, and last time I checked Timmy hasn’t been on the roster in years.

Play Boban
03-09-2019, 12:28 PM
:cry
:madrun

FkLA
03-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Does anybody think Pop cares? Deep inside, I think yes. While it’s good for the franchise. It’s a testimony also to his being the GOAT. He had a lot to do with it also.

He should care and I think he does but not bc of his legacy. I think deep down he is proud of the winning culture and the entire coaching/executive tree that he has spread throughout the league. Being such a model of consistency, that so many others try to emulate, is definitely something to be proud of, tbh.

John B
03-09-2019, 04:52 PM
He should care and I think he does but not bc of his legacy. I think deep down he is proud of the winning culture and the entire coaching/executive tree that he has spread throughout the league. Being such a model of consistency, that so many others try to emulate, is definitely something to be proud of, tbh.
Is that why he wouldn’t tank, to keep the streak? I mean that’s a mean streak and took almost a quarter of a century. Personally I don’t believe in tanking especially because Spurs have such great players development program that a 29th pick could turn into a steal. And that’s probably Pop/RJ mindset.

timtonymanu
03-09-2019, 04:53 PM
I’m not the one rooting for the good guys to lose. Traitor!

That’s fine but you can still fuck off

rascal
03-09-2019, 07:13 PM
And you had an equally long run bitching about him and how boring you found watching him to be.

I don't remember saying anything about Duncan being boring. Some of the players surrounding Duncan were boring and the team's slow it down stand around the 3 point line style of play was not always the most entertaining.

My point in this thread is that Duncan is directly responsible for the success of the Spurs making the playoffs for a long run.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2019, 08:01 PM
A 13th pick is more likely to be a scrub than a good player, so tanking for that is the definition of moronic.

Since the 70's there's not a hell of a lot of difference between the 13th pick and the 6th pick. Especially if you're talking about guys who played enough games to not be considered scrubs. Karl Malone and Kobe Bryant were both 13th picks.

BUT... there is a hell of a big difference between 13 and 20.

wildcardX
03-09-2019, 09:28 PM
All because of TimDuncan, what a legend.

I think David Robinson set the foundation for this franchise. After Gervin retired it looked like the team would fall to the bottom of the league. Where teams like the Clippers and Kings have been for so many years. While Robinson had a two year Navy commitment, the Spurs were able to upgrade the team a little but Robinson still had to carry the team through all those years. Still though Robinson losing two years of development, the changing of coaches, and the lesser role players around Robinson(compared to Duncan) the Spurs were a consistent top team in the league in the late 80's until 96'.

BatManu20
03-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Shit’s wild tbh.

NameLess Scrub
03-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Pop has helped a lot of guys make millions $$.

monty4329
03-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Yes, gives you chills doesn't it?
Can't fathom why some losers think it is so much better picking #14 instead of #18...

monty4329
03-10-2019, 11:13 AM

:clap

FkLA
03-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Is that why he wouldn’t tank, to keep the streak? I mean that’s a mean streak and took almost a quarter of a century. Personally I don’t believe in tanking especially because Spurs have such great players development program that a 29th pick could turn into a steal. And that’s probably Pop/RJ mindset.

There's been no reason to tank. If nephew hadn't pulled the shit he pulled we'd be neck and neck with GS, imo. Especially with the emergence of White and to a lesser extent Murray these past two seasons. Nephew, Green, White, instagram baller would've been a mean ass defensive backcourt. Blowing it all up after nephew left also just wasn't realistic. It's a defeatist attitude that Pop doesn't subscribe to. Honestly, without the Murray season ending injury and White being in and out of the line-up we'd be anywhere from 2nd-5th in the West. Add wings with the two 1st Rounders and the Spurs are in great shape moving forward again.

John B
03-10-2019, 09:26 PM
There's been no reason to tank. If nephew hadn't pulled the shit he pulled we'd be neck and neck with GS, imo. Especially with the emergence of White and to a lesser extent Murray these past two seasons. Nephew, Green, White, instagram baller would've been a mean ass defensive backcourt. Blowing it all up after nephew left also just wasn't realistic. It's a defeatist attitude that Pop doesn't subscribe to. Honestly, without the Murray season ending injury and White being in and out of the line-up we'd be anywhere from 2nd-5th in the West. Add wings with the two 1st Rounders and the Spurs are in great shape moving forward again.
True. Spurs have the long-term vision just derailed a bit there, but going back on track.

Play Boban
03-11-2019, 10:11 AM
That’s fine but you can still fuck off

Did someone piss in your corn flakes this morning tbh?

spursistan
03-17-2019, 04:01 AM

Maybe the most staggering Spurs-related stat/trivia of our current playoff run..

BillMc
03-17-2019, 04:52 AM

True. Spurs have the long-term vision just derailed a bit there, but going back on track.

These

spursistan
03-19-2019, 08:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1_KHqiVAAAXL48.jpg

DocDoc
03-19-2019, 09:16 AM
I think David Robinson set the foundation for this franchise. After Gervin retired it looked like the team would fall to the bottom of the league. Where teams like the Clippers and Kings have been for so many years. While Robinson had a two year Navy commitment, the Spurs were able to upgrade the team a little but Robinson still had to carry the team through all those years. Still though Robinson losing two years of development, the changing of coaches, and the lesser role players around Robinson(compared to Duncan) the Spurs were a consistent top team in the league in the late 80's until 96'.

Imagine what the DRob teams could have accomplished with the current FO and coaching. It is also an interesting thought experiment to think what DRob would be like playing in the current NBA, with his level of mobility.

housious
03-19-2019, 09:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1_KHqiVAAAXL48.jpg

10 years in a row in today's NFL is pretty damn impressive.