PDA

View Full Version : Logistics for moving across the country

spurraider21
03-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Just found out today that the wife and I are going to be moving from Los Angeles, CA to Charlottesville, Virginia for her med school.

Nazi rally jokes aside, I've never had to make a move like this. What are some general thoughts on how to go about it? Worth driving cars over? Driving a U-Haul across? Having a company ship stuff for you (seems pricey)? What home items are/aren't worth lugging across?

Avant
03-13-2019, 12:09 AM
Getting out of Northern Mexico, lucky you.

Dump everything that can be replaced without spending too much, mostly kitchen stuff. Have a company move the rest, you'll be glad ya did.

Stay away from rentals once ya get there. Buy a home.

Spurtacular
03-13-2019, 01:36 AM
Do a fire sale on Craigslist and you'll save on rental space while recouping a return. I did that and made about five or six hundred bucks, tbh.

Chris
03-13-2019, 01:51 AM
U-Haul all the way.

Chris
03-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Donate items that won't fit or take up too much room. Furniture is always expendable and kitchenware which takes forever to pack (newspapering everything)

Chucho
03-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Get one of the shipping containers that are picked up and shipped from old address to new and drive your cars there. Easiest and most affordable way.

If you're not a long haul trucker, driving with a large UHaul all across country will suck ass. It was a bitch just going from Texas to Cali with the car towed on the back.

Will Hunting
03-13-2019, 10:42 AM
What everyone else said. Sell or donate whatever is easily replaced so you’re packing as little as possible. I’d pay movers personally because driving a Uhaul from AZ to Dallas was awful.

Spurminator
03-13-2019, 10:48 AM
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1y6_VIpXXXXbFXpXXq6xXFXXXZ/2015-Quadros-Home-Decoration-Movie-flying-house-Up-Poster-Wall-Painting-Decorative-Art-Picture-Paint-On.jpg_640x640q70.jpg

spurraider21
03-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Yeah small stuff and kitchenware not too worried about. But tryin to figure out if it’s worth cost to have bed set, tv, coffee table etc shipped.

If were going to leave all furniture behind we might just take a couple of cars on a cross country drive. We’ve also got a small dog (Maltese)... so we’d probably need to find air bnb spots or otherwise pet friendly stops along the way.

Uhaul with a car being towed definitely seems too daunting to be worth it

clambake
03-13-2019, 12:06 PM
pay movers to pack, ship the cars, fly to destination.

Johnny Tightlips
03-13-2019, 12:11 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! Who says I got a mover?

Trill Clinton
03-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Pavlov
03-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Yeah small stuff and kitchenware not too worried about. But tryin to figure out if it’s worth cost to have bed set, tv, coffee table etc shipped.

If were going to leave all furniture behind we might just take a couple of cars on a cross country drive. We’ve also got a small dog (Maltese)... so we’d probably need to find air bnb spots or otherwise pet friendly stops along the way.

Uhaul with a car being towed definitely seems too daunting to be worth itCali to Texas towing a car really isn't that bad if you get the timing through LA right, but I wouldn't go any farther than that. The cube thing sounds like the best bet. All Motel 6s are pet friendly if you can't find a convenient airBnB

SpursforSix
03-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Uhaul with a car being towed definitely seems too daunting to be worth it

Personally, I would would use it as a great excuse to take a road trip and hit a few interesting places that you'll probably never get around to seeing again. Maybe ship one car and your stuff. And enjoy the ride with your wife. Once you have kids and are both working, you probably won't ever do this again.

Robz4000
03-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Personally, I would would use it as a great excuse to take a road trip and hit a few interesting places that you'll probably never get around to seeing again. Maybe ship one car and your stuff. And enjoy the ride with your wife. Once you have kids and are both working, you probably won't ever do this again.

This.

Chucho
03-13-2019, 02:31 PM
What everyone else said. Sell or donate whatever is easily replaced so you’re packing as little as possible. I’d pay movers personally because driving a Uhaul from AZ to Dallas was awful.

AZ through the first 6-10 hours in Texas is one ugly drive. Like nothing to look at, El Paso is one ugly town and everything between is ugly rocky desert.

RD2191
03-13-2019, 02:39 PM

What about a pair of Beats?

SpursforSix
03-13-2019, 02:40 PM
AZ through the first 6-10 hours in Texas is one ugly drive. Like nothing to look at, El Paso is one ugly town and everything between is ugly rocky desert.

I don't think he'd have to go through El Paso. I know that stretch you're talking about though.

Will Hunting
03-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Agreed. I've done the drive twice and it's been boring as fuck both times. Living in west Texas looks like a the most miserable experience one could possibly have.

SpursforSix
03-13-2019, 02:42 PM
What about a pair of Beats?

Beats always make a good thing better. But you run the risk of making it a Beats-centric trip. When instead, this should be one of those, stop and smell the roses, trips.

Robz4000
03-13-2019, 02:53 PM

I don't think he'd have to go through El Paso. I know that stretch you're talking about though.

Agreed. I've done the drive twice and it's been boring as fuck both times. Living in west Texas looks like a the most miserable experience one could possibly have.

I've always liked that drive tbh; interesting looking at Juarez from the 10 and appreciating the fact I don't live in a hellhole.

Will Hunting
03-13-2019, 02:53 PM
I've always liked that drive tbh; interesting looking at Juarez from the 10 and appreciating the fact I don't live in a hellhole.
Yeah the view of Juarez is the only part I'd say I enjoy.

Chucho
03-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Any of yall ever stop and see "THE THING!!!!" roadside thing at that truck stop in New Mexico? Like the only memorable thing I like about the drive- you see a sideshow attraction, and a three dollar museum that's worth the $3 and you can buy good fireworks there year round.

Robz4000
03-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Any of yall ever stop and see "THE THING!!!!" roadside thing at that truck stop in New Mexico? Like the only memorable thing I like about the drive- you see a sideshow attraction, and a three dollar museum that's worth the $3 and you can buy good fireworks there year round.

I notice their gas prices are outrageous even considering they're in the middle of nowhere.

spurraider21
03-13-2019, 04:28 PM
I don't care much about barren wastelands... as long as there's a decent paved road :lol... i'm not gonna uhaul and tow a car from coast to coast.

guess i just have to get some quotes from companies who will ship furniture and/or cars, and decide if we want to take one or both cars on a cross-country drive. we wouldn't have to make the move until july so plenty of time to think it over

but just wanted some thoughts/suggestions from people who may have done something similar. thanks all :tu

clambake
03-13-2019, 04:43 PM

trust me

Spurtacular
03-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Is that what you did when you moved from Irving to Joplin?

Spurtacular
03-13-2019, 05:38 PM

It becomes relaxing, tbh.

spurraider21
03-13-2019, 05:41 PM
It becomes relaxing, tbh.
:lol sociopath coping

clambake
03-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Is that what you did when you moved from Irving to Joplin?

wut

Xevious
03-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Getting out of Northern Mexico, lucky you.

Dump everything that can be replaced without spending too much, mostly kitchen stuff. Have a company move the rest, you'll be glad ya did.

Stay away from rentals once ya get there. Buy a home.
Agree except for the buy a home part. I wouldn't buy until I got familiar with the area, and only if I thought we were staying there after the wife finishes school.

Xevious
03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
What's nice is the speed limit increases to like 85 for that stretch.

baseline bum
03-13-2019, 07:12 PM

IDK man, I love West Texas. So much great hiking in Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains, and the Davis Mountains. Then Alpine has gotta be my favorite small town in Texas. Plus you get one of the darkest night skies in the lower 48. It's the only part of Texas that compares well to California if you like doing outdoors shit I guess.

Will Hunting
03-13-2019, 07:23 PM
What's nice is the speed limit increases to like 85 for that stretch.
True, especially given how much speeding you can get away with on Texas highways. I've driven up to Winstar easily 25+ times from Dallas, and I've literally never seen a cop once trying to nail speeders.

BD24
03-13-2019, 07:34 PM
I’m sure a lot of this has been covered by others, but my opinions below.

hire a moving company or get one of those shipping crates. You don’t want to drive a u haul cross country

as far as the cars go, see if you can get a job with a company that will help with relocation. Most good companies will ship a car across country for you. That way you only need to drive one car and can alternate driving. Both of you having to drive the whole trip is a bitch.

i would rent when you first get there if that’s an option. Scope out the area and figure out what area you want to live in before buying imo.

Pavlov
03-13-2019, 07:51 PM
IDK man, I love West Texas. So much great hiking in Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains, and the Davis Mountains. Then Alpine has gotta be my favorite small town in Texas. Plus you get one of the darkest night skies in the lower 48. It's the only part of Texas that compares well to California if you like doing outdoors shit I guess.Right? I think people have only taken I-10 through the slag heaps and saw just a tiny sliver the mountain country.

Sounds like he's be up on I40 anyway. There's plenty of things to see once along that route.

Xevious
03-13-2019, 10:53 PM
IDK man, I love West Texas. So much great hiking in Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains, and the Davis Mountains. Then Alpine has gotta be my favorite small town in Texas. Plus you get one of the darkest night skies in the lower 48. It's the only part of Texas that compares well to California if you like doing outdoors shit I guess.
Agree with all of this. I grew up camping in Big Bend, Davis Mountains, etc. The drive itself on 10 does suck though if you're only passing through.

Spurstalk Alpha Male
03-17-2019, 03:21 PM
pssssshhhhhhh...what kind of Beta moves across the country because of his girlfriend?? Kick her to the curb, brah...she'll always be wearing the pants. Swallow the Redpill, watch Tyler Durden on YouTube, and continue to fuck 18-22 year old college sluts living in perpetual chaos and forever being a manchild! WOOOOOOO!!!!

spurraider21
03-18-2019, 04:47 PM
so looks like we're going to stuff most of our shit onto a pallet and just have it freighted over. its substantially cheaper than a moving service. and we'll just sell our cars and fly in.

then again our plan has already changed 2-3 times as we've considered all other options... but thats plan A as of now. the cross country drive is gonna be too much of a pain especially if since we're bringing a dog along.

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2019, 04:57 PM
so looks like we're going to stuff most of our shit onto a pallet and just have it freighted over. its substantially cheaper than a moving service. and we'll just sell our cars and fly in.

then again our plan has already changed 2-3 times as we've considered all other options... but thats plan A as of now. the cross country drive is gonna be too much of a pain especially if since we're bringing a dog along.
Sell the dog and take in your sister's 2 cats.

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2019, 05:04 PM
I’m sure a lot of this has been covered by others, but my opinions below.

hire a moving company or get one of those shipping crates. You don’t want to drive a u haul cross country

as far as the cars go, see if you can get a job with a company that will help with relocation. Most good companies will ship a car across country for you. That way you only need to drive one car and can alternate driving. Both of you having to drive the whole trip is a bitch.

i would rent when you first get there if that’s an option. Scope out the area and figure out what area you want to live in before buying imo.

agree on the get a good job part

you can Google the areas before buying, Trulia has a great crime heat map so you know what areas to avoid