PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: Spurs vs. Knicks - Mar. 15, 2019

timvp
03-16-2019, 12:27 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Qzb30nK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EXvIEY5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LgCQcmD.jpg

The Spurs got their revenge. After an embarrassing loss to the Knicks during the Rodeo Road Trip that ended New York's 18-game home losing streak, San Antonio prevailed Friday night by a final score of 109-83. The Spurs have now won seven straight games, the longest streak in the league, to improve their record to 40-29.

Thankfully, the good guys didn't flirt with a second serving of embarrassment. They got up on the Knicks early and easily strolled to the victory.

Considering the Knicks were severely outmatched and this game was never really in doubt, I'll forego grades for some thoughts of the random variety.

-The 83 points allowed were a season-low for a Spurs opponent. I wouldn't say San Antonio played great defense -- I'd say the Spurs played well defensively and got a lot of help from New York's inept attack. That said, the team's defense is definitely on the upswing. After the disastrous Rodeo Road Trip, the Spurs are allowing 102.6 points per 100 possessions during the seven-game winning streak. During that time frame, their defensive rating is good for second in the league. (For the record, they're scoring 112.8 points per 100 possessions during the win streak, sixth in the league.)

-On the season, the Spurs have the sixth best offensive rating (ahead of teams like the Raptors, Celtics and Sixers) and the 20th best defensive rating. Due to the roster composition, the best the Spurs can hope for is a top five offense and an average defense (and that's only because of Pop's history of being a stickler for defense [talent-wise, 20th is probably right around where they should be]).

-The Kings lost again tonight so the Spurs are now up 6.5 games on the ninth seed. At this point, it'd take an epic collapse to not make the playoffs. Considering where San Antonio was at the end of the Rodeo Road Trip, it's been a swift recovery.

-Speaking of the playoffs, the main goal should be avoiding the Warriors in the first round. With the Nuggets right on their heels and the fact that the Warriors will probably rest up down the stretch, it makes both the seventh and eighth seeds dangerous. For that reason, the Spurs should push as hard as possible for a top six seed. Playing the Nuggets in the first round would be a relatively good (great?) matchup but it'd be too risky to artificially try to make that happen.

-Against the Knicks, LaMarcus Aldridge posted another strong game. Following his slow start to the season, one can make the argument that Aldridge has played the best basketball of his career since the final week of November. He's been really, really good.

-I've been really impressed with DeMar DeRozan since the All-Star break. He's now hit at least half his shots in each game since the break. In those ten games, he's averaged 22.5 points, 6.2 assists and 5.8 rebounds on 55% shooting from the floor.

-DeRozan has been more than just good numbers as of late. He's actually defending pretty well; he's been a lot better on the ball and even more impressive off the ball. The most promising aspect, though, is how he seems to have bought into the team concept. There were stretches this season where he was playing glorified one-on-one basketball. Over the last handful of games, DeRozan has fit snugly within the team concept. Not only is he feeding Aldridge early and often while consistently setting up three-point shooters, he's sharing playmaking duties with Derrick White without an ounce of hesitation. Even in big moments, DeRozan has no qualms about sharing the spotlight with White -- and that makes the Spurs a much better team. DeRozan as a lead dog doesn't give any team a high ceiling. However, if DeRozan plays a complementary role while providing an efficient 22, six and six, that's a valuable piece to a puzzle.

-Part of DeRozan's improvement play has been his mental approach. It's also undeniably, however, that he looks a lot better physically as well. It's safe to say he was hurting more than he was letting on during his January doldrums.

-It's amazing how much better Jakob Poeltl plays when Pau Gasol isn't around (thanks again, Coach Bud). Poeltl was painfully hesitant and scared of his own shadow when Gasol loomed on the bench. When Gasol was injured and since his departure, the Austrian bigman has been outstanding.

-I continue to want Poeltl as a permanent member of the starting lineup. As I've stated all season, starting Poeltl is the only way to maximize his potential. It appears as if he's rapidly learning how to play next to Aldridge and that's a great sign for his future. Maxing out the 23-year-old Poeltl raises San Antonio's short-term and long-term ceiling.

-On paper, Poeltl and Aldridge appear to be too big to start together in today's NBA. However, Poeltl is really mobile for a seven-footer so that allows him to survive mismatches well enough. And since the slow start, Aldridge has gotten a lot more mobile himself so he can do well enough against power forwards -- even if they are small forwards masquerading at the four. (Was Aldridge out of shape to start the season? He's moving so much better the last couple months.)

-Rudy Gay off the bench is really beginning to work well. He gives the bench unit a pressure release valve when ball-movement alone can't break down the opposing defense. Additionally, there aren't many bench swingmen in the league who can handle Gay's combination of size and skill.

ZeusWillJudge
03-16-2019, 12:36 AM
Damn good write up.

A 10 point differential during this winning streak is nice. They've played some games that they were supposed to win, but they've also played some good teams. I guess tonight sort of inflates the differential, but still - it beats the other.

The Spurs remaining strength of schedule is actually about in the middle of the pack now, so I doubt that they can play any games trying to jockey for a particular first round matchup. Whatever we see for the next 13 games is going to be what they're capable of.

playbonner15
03-16-2019, 12:48 AM
Really liking the Purple Gay pick & roll combination + White and Bertans in there

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-16-2019, 03:21 AM
Poeltl with another Steven Adams-esque game :tu

monty4329
03-16-2019, 03:53 AM
Makes the loss in NY even more disgusting. The Knicks suck immensely.

Pity Eubanks couldn't play, he could have a had some good minutes, he needs them. Metu jumps like a cricket but everything else is quite bad. Lonnie totally lost on the court but has flashes, we'll see next year.

Again, every time DDR shoots up to 15-17 shots, we win. But again, he losts three times the ball with his stupid dribbling back into the defender.

I don't get my hopes high, but there is a small chance to go for the 6th, provided we beat the Blazers tonight and maybe Kerr makes Pop a solid on Monday.

skin27
03-16-2019, 04:25 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Qzb30nK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EXvIEY5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LgCQcmD.jpg

The Spurs got their revenge. After an embarrassing loss to the Knicks during the Rodeo Road Trip that ended New York's 18-game home losing streak, San Antonio prevailed Friday night by a final score of 109-83. The Spurs have now won seven straight games, the longest streak in the league, to improve their record to 40-29.

Thankfully, the good guys didn't flirt with a second serving of embarrassment. They got up on the Knicks early and easily strolled to the victory.

Considering the Knicks were severely outmatched and this game was never really in doubt, I'll forego grades for some thoughts of the random variety.

-The 83 points allowed were a season-low for a Spurs opponent. I wouldn't say San Antonio played great defense -- I'd say the Spurs played well defensively and got a lot of help from New York's inept attack. That said, the team's defense is definitely on the upswing. After the disastrous Rodeo Road Trip, the Spurs are allowing 102.6 points per 100 possessions during the seven-game winning streak. During that time frame, their defensive rating is good for second in the league. (For the record, they're scoring 112.8 points per 100 possessions during the win streak, sixth in the league.)

-On the season, the Spurs have the sixth best offensive rating (ahead of teams like the Raptors, Celtics and Sixers) and the 20th best defensive rating. Due to the roster composition, the best the Spurs can hope for is a top five offense and an average defense (and that's only because of Pop's history of being a stickler for defense [talent-wise, 20th is probably right around where they should be]).

-The Kings lost again tonight so the Spurs are now up 6.5 games on the ninth seed. At this point, it'd take an epic collapse to not make the playoffs. Considering where San Antonio was at the end of the Rodeo Road Trip, it's been a swift recovery.

-Speaking of the playoffs, the main goal should be avoiding the Warriors in the first round. With the Nuggets right on their heels and the fact that the Warriors will probably rest up down the stretch, it makes both the seventh and eighth seeds dangerous. For that reason, the Spurs should push as hard as possible for a top six seed. Playing the Nuggets in the first round would be a relatively good (great?) matchup but it'd be too risky to artificially try to make that happen.

-Against the Knicks, LaMarcus Aldridge posted another strong game. Following his slow start to the season, one can make the argument that Aldridge has played the best basketball of his career since the final week of November. He's been really, really good.

-I've been really impressed with DeMar DeRozan since the All-Star break. He's now hit at least half his shots in each game since the break. In those ten games, he's averaged 22.5 points, 6.2 assists and 5.8 rebounds on 55% shooting from the floor.

-DeRozan has been more than just good numbers as of late. He's actually defending pretty well; he's been a lot better on the ball and even more impressive off the ball. The most promising aspect, though, is how he seems to have bought into the team concept. There were stretches this season where he was playing glorified one-on-one basketball. Over the last handful of games, DeRozan has fit snugly within the team concept. Not only is he feeding Aldridge early and often while consistently setting up three-point shooters, he's sharing playmaking duties with Derrick White without an ounce of hesitation. Even in big moments, DeRozan has no qualms about sharing the spotlight with White -- and that makes the Spurs a much better team. DeRozan as a lead dog doesn't give any team a high ceiling. However, if DeRozan plays a complementary role while providing an efficient 22, six and six, that's a valuable piece to a puzzle.

-Part of DeRozan's improvement play has been his mental approach. It's also undeniably, however, that he looks a lot better physically as well. It's safe to say he was hurting more than he was letting on during his January doldrums.

-It's amazing how much better Jakob Poeltl plays when Pau Gasol isn't around (thanks again, Coach Bud). Poeltl was painfully hesitant and scared of his own shadow when Gasol loomed on the bench. When Gasol was injured and since his departure, the Austrian bigman has been outstanding.

-I continue to want Poeltl as a permanent member of the starting lineup. As I've stated all season, starting Poeltl is the only way to maximize his potential. It appears as if he's rapidly learning how to play next to Aldridge and that's a great sign for his future. Maxing out the 23-year-old Poeltl raises San Antonio's short-term and long-term ceiling.

-On paper, Poeltl and Aldridge appear to be too big to start together in today's NBA. However, Poeltl is really mobile for a seven-footer so that allows him to survive mismatches well enough. And since the slow start, Aldridge has gotten a lot more mobile himself so he can do well enough against power forwards -- even if they are small forwards masquerading at the four. (Was Aldridge out of shape to start the season? He's moving so much better the last couple months.)

-Rudy Gay off the bench is really beginning to work well. He gives the bench unit a pressure release valve when ball-movement alone can't break down the opposing defense. Additionally, there aren't many bench swingmen in the league who can handle Gay's combination of size and skill.

if poetl starts then one of murray or white will come off the bench next year.lol

r0drig0lac
03-16-2019, 05:45 AM
pos asg, Demar is the most consistently playing in high-level in the Spurs team

John B
03-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Great game for Poeltl. The kid is a revelation and could be the best part of that trade. His protection of the rim makes it very difficult to score even when our perimeter defense got beat, add his rebounding in limiting 2nd chances, solid. This kid is solid. The future is bright with our youngsters. I’ll say it now. Pop/RJ have done it again. It’s another 10 years of competitive basketball for the city of San Antonio. Poeltl to me solidified his starting position. It just makes so much sense, with Gay playing Manu-esque with the 2nd unit. Gay could always close depending on the the match. Pop seemed to have finally assembled his lineup, finally. I bet he’s sighing with relief. It took almost the entire season, but he has found his combinations. And the players look like they’re settling in their position, which explains improved plays of Demar especially. The team has found its rhythm and it’s peaking at the right time. I’ve said it before, barring any injuries, this team could be very dangerous. GSG!

TDomination
03-16-2019, 06:16 AM
One of the few games this year where we were supposed to win by double digits and we actually did win by double digits. This team is getting better before our eyes, it will be interesting to see what their ceiling will be this year.

This year feels like it is just a warm up for next year. And next year is the real year where we push to become a legit contender. We'll see.

GusT15
03-16-2019, 07:03 AM
One of the few games this year where we were supposed to win by double digits and we actually did win by double digits. This team is getting better before our eyes, it will be interesting to see what their ceiling will be this year.

This year feels like it is just a warm up for next year. And next year is the real year where we push to become a legit contender. We'll see.

With so many moving parts in the summer our chances of becoming contenders again isn't solely about what we do in the off season.Our goal should be patching roster holes,upgrading the rotation and finding an identity as a team (cause this we only win at home shit isn't cutting it anymore).

Let's just hope that we'll be able to play better basketball next season and leave words like contending for years to come (especially after figuring out what the front office and coaching situation will look like moving forward).

As a basketball fan in general my biggest hope for next year is for that Basketball cancer of a team in San Francisco to split up cause it's fucking up the game in more ways than one.

ceperez
03-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Great game for Poeltl. The kid is a revelation and could be the best part of that trade. His protection of the rim makes it very difficult to score even when our perimeter defense got beat, add his rebounding in limiting 2nd chances, solid. This kid is solid. The future is bright with our youngsters. I’ll say it now. Pop/RJ have done it again. It’s another 10 years of competitive basketball for the city of San Antonio. Poeltl to me solidified his starting position. It just makes so much sense, with Gay playing Manu-esque with the 2nd unit. Gay could always close depending on the the match. Pop seemed to have finally assembled his lineup, finally. I bet he’s sighing with relief. It took almost the entire season, but he has found his combinations. And the players look like they’re settling in their position, which explains improved plays of Demar especially. The team has found its rhythm and it’s peaking at the right time. I’ve said it before, barring any injuries, this team could be very dangerous. GSG!

Surprised to see 6-7 out of Poetl!

Poetl has elite quickness. You see that he beats even guards when chasing for a loose ball.

Gay on the 2nd unit is best. He gets to own the ball and he's probably the best one-one offensive player on the roster.

Hope to get to the 2nd round and even the Western finals!

robert1886
03-16-2019, 07:29 AM
Great write up timvp. Poeltl is really starting to look good . He moves his feet really well for a big man . His pick and roll game is good something we have missed since Tiago . He is still young so hopefully he sticks around for the long run .

rascal
03-16-2019, 07:35 AM
This has been an easy stretch of the schedule with many home games and catching some of the better teams on back to back at home.

sananspursfan21
03-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Even though this was an easy win and should have been, it’s encouraging that it played out that way

monty4329
03-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Great game for Poeltl. The kid is a revelation and could be the best part of that trade. GSG!

Of course he is. Doesn't take much though.

Play Boban
03-16-2019, 11:30 AM
I nailed Poeltl. Play Poeltl......

JeffDuncan
03-16-2019, 02:43 PM
-Speaking of the playoffs, the main goal should be avoiding the Warriors in the first round. ...

Nonsense. When did Spurs fans become such a bunch of cowards? I want the Warriors.

This Spurs team was built to beat the Warriors.

We can beat them inside with LMA and Gay, and now Poeltl.

At the midrange we can beat them with DDR and LMA, and Gay again.

At long range we can beat them with Bertans, Belinelli, Forbes and Mills.

With consistent high energy on defense, and just a touch better than average shooting, we can beat them in a series. Give me the Warriors.

DAF86
03-16-2019, 02:58 PM
For this streak to be really impressive we need to win tonight. Please do it.

Russ
03-16-2019, 03:06 PM
I want the Warriors.

Let's have a trial run on Monday and then decide . . .

horseshue
03-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Nonsense. When did Spurs fans become such a bunch of cowards? I want the Warriors.

With consistent high energy on defense, and just a touch better than average shooting, we can beat them in a series. Give me the Warriors.

Well, we can beat warriors ocasionly, but they gonna murder us like 90% of time.

R. DeMurre
03-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Feels like enough isn't being made of Poeltl's game! 12 pts on 6-7 shooting, 9 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists, 0 turnovers, & 5 blocks in 27 minutes is pretty phenomenal.

ace3g
03-16-2019, 04:43 PM
https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/status/1106745035624771584

KimmyGib
03-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Deandre Jordan with the game-high 9 assists

wildbill2u
03-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Pop has done a lot of experimenting and tweaking to find the right combination. Trading Pau sent a signal that he was going with Poertl and a big man lineup. He is willing to create a mismatch and force the other team to adjust to us--providing our guys can deliver. Warriors are really loaded so I don't see us forcing them to match with us. They can play big with ease. But some other teams that have gone to the prevailing scheme of playing small.

If God gives you lemons, make lemon pie.

TDomination
03-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Pop has done a lot of experimenting and tweaking to find the right combination. Trading Pau sent a signal that he was going with Poertl and a big man lineup. He is willing to create a mismatch and force the other team to adjust to us--providing our guys can deliver. Warriors are really loaded so I don't see us forcing them to match with us. They can play big with ease. But some other teams that have gone to the prevailing scheme of playing small.

If God gives you lemons, make lemon pie.

or lemon heads. those are good.

spurs10
03-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the thoughts! May they come ready to play tonight!

timtonymanu
03-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Lol sure. Forbes and Mills will turn into all world defenders against their backcourt. Keep dreaming.