PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Blazers - Mar. 16, 2019

timvp
03-17-2019, 04:39 AM
https://i.imgur.com/mABzc28.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PoFuiuS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PjV9loX.jpg

San Antonio's winning streak is now eight games after a 108-103 victory over Portland on Saturday night. With the win in the rare home-and-home back-to-back, the Spurs are now 41-29 and in sixth place in the Western Conference.

A nip and tuck affair the entire night, the Spurs and Trail Blazers stood tied midway through the fourth quarter. That's when two unlikely heroes emerged for the Spurs: Bryn Forbes and Davis Bertans. First, Bertans hit a three-pointer to break the tie. Forbes then completed an old-fashioned three-point play after a difficult layup in transition. Following three made free throws by Bertans after he was fouled on a three-pointer, Forbes connected on a new age three-pointer to put the Spurs up by six points with three minutes remaining ... and the good guys would never be threatened again.

Very good win. The Blazers were also playing the second night of a back-to-back and lost CJ McCollum to a knee injury in the third quarter but it was a really nice win for the Spurs regardless. San Antonio overcame an iffy offensive showing by playing solid defense. While that's been a successful formula for the Spurs the last two-plus decades, we haven't been able to say that much this season. That alone is promising.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
Early on, LaMarcus Aldridge was carrying his current team against his former team. In the game's first six minutes, he was 4-for-5 from the field and scored nine of the team's first 11 points. Then he vanished offensively, hitting only one of his final eight attempts from the court. To give credit where credit is due, Jusuf Nurkic physically dominated Aldridge -- and that's not something that's happened much this season. Nurkic kept Aldridge from getting easy shots in the paint, kept him off the offensive boards and bullied him on the glass on the other end. While Nurkic is a solid player, Aldridge deserves blame for not summoning enough grit to successfully compete. In addition to his struggles in the paint, he was also iffy out on the perimeter on the defensive end. Aldridge's saving grace tonight was his stellar interior defense down the stretch; he kept the Spurs sturdy in the lane despite being surrounded with a small lineup.
Grade: C-
Summary: Aldridge started strong offensively and ended well defensively but the rest was forgettable.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
This was an uneven -- and difficult to grade -- performance for DeMar DeRozan. On one hand, he played too much in isolation offensively, wasn't recognizing mismatches well and wasn't doing much playmaking for his teammates. He also hit less than half his shots from the field for the first time since the All-Star break. On the other hand, DeRozan played some of his best defense of the season, rebounded the ball really well, kept his mistakes to a minimum and his tenacity on offense led to a game-high ten free throw attempts. Considering the two biggest factors of this Spurs win were defense and free throw attempts, it's difficult to be too disappointed in DeRozan's play. That said, he undeniably reverted to bad habits by breaking the offense too often and did so at the expense of creating open looks for the shooters.
Grade: C+
Summary: DeRozan played hard and helped in ways that led to San Antonio's victory.

-------------

Derrick White
https://i.imgur.com/IrTA2dV.png
Derrick White has played better but he was definitely competing very hard on Saturday night. Defensively, his work against Damian Lillard was impressive. White made mistakes -- he was too antsy at times and was caught out of position at other times -- and found himself in foul trouble but making Lillard take 29 shots to get his 34 points was a win for the Spurs. Offensively, White could have been more demonstrative with the ball and deferred less; he was passing up shots and hesitated to attack off the dribble more than usual. However, he was efficient when he did call his own number and authored a handful of slick passes.
Grade: B-
Summary: White never found a rhythm on either end yet still contributed positively.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
For three quarters, Bryn Forbes wasn't impacting the game much at all. He had a few heady passes and was playing passable defense ... but that was about the extent of it. Then in the fourth period, Forbes scored nine key points with the game in the balance. His confidence was palpable during money time, which is notable considering he's a player who sometimes has confidence issues. On top of his well-timed buckets, I also thought Forbes played good defense in the fourth. He was making quick, correct decision in the help-defense schemes, which is another area where he can struggle.
Grade: B
Summary: Forbes was clutch when it counted.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
For the second consecutive game, Jakob Poeltl tied his career-high with five blocks. As those blocks indicate, Poeltl was outstanding in terms of defending the rim and altering shots. (Side note: Blocks is an area where Poeltl's numbers have regressed compared to last season in Toronto. Considering that Pop stresses not fouling, Poeltl probably overcorrected in a successful effort to substantially cut his foul rate. So while his ten blocks in the last two games are exciting, the fact that he did so while only committing three fouls is equally as important.) The Spurs were best on the defensive boards when the big Austrian was in the game -- and that wasn't an accident. Poeltl was boxing out, hustling and playing physically. On offense, he was strong on the offensive glass and flashed soft hands and a deft touch. The Blazers forced him to expand his offensive repertoire a bit and Poeltl looked smooth while unveiling more-complicated-than-usual shot attempts.
Grade: A-
Summary: Poeltl was a beast on defense and expanded upon his usual role on offense.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
Marco Belinelli is another player who gave very good effort. On defense, his slow-footedness hurt the Spurs at times but he tried to make up for it by scratching and clawing. Offensively, he kept his shot attempts in the realm of the sane and his off-ball movement was a weapon in and of itself. At his best, Belinelli might legitimately have the best instincts in the NBA when it comes to moving without the ball.
Grade: B+
Summary: Belinelli played hard and played well.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
On offense, I didn't love all of Patty Mills' shots and his decision-making was frustrating at times but he did enough right on that end to overshadow his deficiencies. His playmaking was at a higher than normal level, he hit a few key shots and he pushed the pace really well. While it's easy to overlook, Mills' pushing of the pace opened up opportunities for the marksmen off the bench. Defensively, he was active and played Lillard well enough to keep the Blazers All-Star from going nuclear.
Grade: B
Summary: Mills was an important part of the puzzle.

-------------

Rudy Gay
https://i.imgur.com/vqYr2we.png
Rudy Gay came off the bench and did what he does: create good shots out of thin air when the Spurs were desperate. He hit two more three-pointers to improve upon his remarkable shooting season (career-high 51.3% from the field, career-high 42% from three-point territory). Defensively, Gay wasn't too impressive outside of the paint but he was throwing his body around under the rim. As a result, he was the team's most effective defensive rebounder and altered a handful of shots in the lane.
Summary: Gay did good work on both ends.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Davis Bertans was scoreless heading into the fourth quarter. Thankfully, he saved his best for last. It was great to see him be unafraid to fire with the game up for grabs even though he hadn't been involved in the game's first three quarters. Defensively, I thought Bertans was really, really good. He moved his feet amazingly well out on the perimeter against smaller players, he challenged shots smartly and pulled down contested defensive rebounds. Bertans has the tools to be a difference-maker and a difficult-to-account-for X-factor -- and he was indeed that tonight.
Summary: Bertans' numbers don't jump off the statsheet but he was vital.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
Very well coached game by Pop. His playcalling in the fourth quarter was impressive and led directly to a number of wide open looks. It's about that time of year that Pop opens up the playbook all the way and it surely made a difference tonight. Specifically, calling plays for Bertans and Forbes in the fourth quarter even though they had been silent up until then was classic Pop. Overall, I thought the rotation made sense, his smaller lineups in the fourth quarter paid dividends and he got his team to play hard.
Grade: A
Summary: Vintage Pop.

Looking ahead: Great effort. Well done.

Next up, the Spurs put their winning steak on the line when they host the Warriors on Monday. Needless to say, it'll be a challenge. If nothing else, it'll be a good litmus test. Let's hope they play as hard on Monday as they did tonight.

BillMc
03-17-2019, 04:49 AM
Many thanks for the grades TiMVP! It's why I have been coming here for more than a decade.

ceperez
03-17-2019, 05:05 AM
Good scrappy game against a good team.

The team is peaking at the right time, ready for the playoffs!

r0drig0lac
03-17-2019, 05:09 AM
perfect analysis on Gay and Bertans, it's interesting facts about Jakob, the kid seems to be very good

TDMVPDPOY
03-17-2019, 05:31 AM
white did good job on lilly, even when he was in foul trouble limited his minutes, but he had a efficient game

if only this team had a defensive wingman.... i know who u guys going to mention, but that guy is a busts to me, thats my opinion

monty4329
03-17-2019, 05:34 AM
Again, when DDR has no more than 15-17 shots, we win.

I am usually very critical of his game, but tonight he played well. If he doesn't try to be The Man and takes pressure off himself, he is a powerful weapon. I hope he finally understands that.

Poeltl had a massive game, so many contested rebounds, I think he was the key to this win.
Marco had maybe one his best games of the season, the offense was very smooth when he was in.

Pity for the awful Rodeo Trip, we actually miss a couple wins.

vavvi
03-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Very good win. In my opinion the best during the streak.
Finally an undisputedly well coached game from Pop where nobody on the team was particularly hot but also everybody delivered something.
Minutes were very evenly distributed among our 9 rotation players.

While Nurkic was good I liked LA's attitude down the stretch. I would give him C+. Other than that totally agree on the grades.

vavvi
03-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Again, when DDR has no more than 15-17 shots, we win.

I am usually very critical of his game, but tonight he played well. If he doesn't try to be The Man and takes pressure off himself, he is a powerful weapon. I hope he finally understands that.

Poeltl had a massive game, so many contested rebounds, I think he was the key to this win.
Marco had maybe one his best games of the season, the offense was very smooth when he was in.

Pity for the awful Rodeo Trip, we actually miss a couple wins.

Especially the Knicks one. Jesus, Knicks are unbelievable trash.
Agree on other points as well

ZeusWillJudge
03-17-2019, 07:27 AM
I don't think Pop should get an A ever again until his team can inbound a damn ball, and confidently hold an 8 point lead with 2:00 to go. Every person here, every single one, was ass-puckered at the thought that the Spurs had a good shot at blowing that game. That flaw is a fundamental lack of coaching and discipline, and there is no better reason for expecting that the Spurs will be a first round exit. Things get more intense in the playoffs, and that one flaw becomes magnified.

sananspursfan21
03-17-2019, 08:51 AM
Great grades! This game reminded me so much of how our old Spurs won in the glory days. Stifling defense and ho-hum offense until crunch time. One of the better wins this year, McCollum or not

Spurs Homer
03-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Purtle was a beast.

I hope that in a playoff series - Pop - does not suddenly yank Purtle to "match up" and kill the only slight chance the Spurs have.

Slippy
03-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Was LA even trying? . After that first , lacked energy on both ends

monty4329
03-17-2019, 10:01 AM
I don't think Pop should get an A ever again until his team can inbound a damn ball, and confidently hold an 8 point lead with 2:00 to go. Every person here, every single one, was ass-puckered at the thought that the Spurs had a good shot at blowing that game. That flaw is a fundamental lack of coaching and discipline, and there is no better reason for expecting that the Spurs will be a first round exit. Things get more intense in the playoffs, and that one flaw becomes magnified.

I agree, this inbounding issue is very worrisome. But I realized it is affecting most of the teams. Almost every team is playing more and more guys so big and athletic that the space available is ever so limited. Plus the sissycalling of fouls rewards trying to intercept the ball instead of actually defend the player with the ball in his hands. One more fuckup of the new Silver teenagers-videogame-rules....

monty4329
03-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Great grades! This game reminded me so much of how our old Spurs won in the glory days. Stifling defense and ho-hum offense until crunch time. One of the better wins this year, McCollum or not

yes, the Poeltl leg-lock to McCallum reminded me a lot of Bowen (in fairness to Jakob, it wasn't intentional, whilst Bowen was dirty)

pookenstein
03-17-2019, 10:07 AM
I had the feeling the Spurs were in control of the game (sort of anyway) when the Refs fucked up and called the foul on White after Lillard slipped, which should have been a TO and a potential Spurs fast break. Instead, seconds later White fouled Dame on a 3 for the four point play. I thought that was kind of a momentum change that made the game closer than it could have been.

Brazil
03-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Bertrans I agree has been vital... his +17 for the night is quite impressive

John B
03-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Aldridge regression due to b2b. But Poeltl playing great and steadied the boat. It was a great win against a very good team. GSG!

HWoodNixon
03-17-2019, 11:15 AM
I had the feeling the Spurs were in control of the game (sort of anyway) when the Refs fucked up and called the foul on White after Lillard slipped, which should have been a TO and a potential Spurs fast break. Instead, seconds later White fouled Dame on a 3 for the four point play. I thought that was kind of a momentum change that made the game closer than it could have been.

it was a 7 point swing in two possessions. 1 ft on a BOGUS defensive 3 second violation, giving Lillard momentum to hit a long 2 followed by a ticky tack 4 pt play the possession afterwards. Curry did the same thing to Mills a few plays before but no 4 pt play for him. Refs kept Portland close when we were about to blow them out.

c

Dex
03-17-2019, 11:30 AM
It's already been said, but timvp and his grades make this forum great again.

Play Boban
03-17-2019, 11:46 AM
I've been saying START POELTL all year long. Poop finally listens and the Spurs go on a long winning streak tbh......

RodNIc91
03-17-2019, 12:36 PM
It's already been said, but timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) and his grades make this forum great again.

RD2191
03-17-2019, 12:47 PM
I've been saying START POELTL all year long. Poop finally listens and the Spurs go on a long winning streak tbh......

Great call. Some real insight, you should be working for ESPN. Tbh

Chomag
03-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Everything changed with this team after they dropped Paul Gasoft , well also a healthy White helps of course.

wildbill2u
03-17-2019, 12:57 PM
I would have had a little more confidence in Poertl in close out time from 3 minutes to go or whenever he went out. He had really played well all game. I think white deserved a better grade because of the play in closeout time. He has some icewater in his veins and steps up a notch on defense and offense when the game is on the line. That is a talent that some players have and some don't.

FRANKLY, since this was a win against a good team ahead of us in the race, and since no one had a monster game but all played well, why not give them all a heartfelt B

ZeusWillJudge
03-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Great call. Some real insight, you should be working for ESPN. Tbh

LOL! That's a work of art.

ZeusWillJudge
03-17-2019, 01:18 PM

It was a bad call, and a significant swing. Those things are going to happen, and there's nothing you can do about it. But there is something a team can do about inbounding the ball, and clock management.

Patty made two FT's with 16.5 seconds left, to give the Spurs a 9 point lead. At that point, all you have to do is defend the 3P line. They aren't going to get five 2P shots in 16.5 seconds. Three seconds later, Patty fouls Hood as he was driving to the rim. The only things you can't afford to do there is give up a quick, uncontested 3, or give them a 3-point play - and the whole team should know that. Let him have the damn layup. Pop should have carved that on Patty's ass with a soldering iron in the locker room. But he didn't. How do I know he didn't? Because they keep doing the same stupid things.

If that's all Patty's fault, then it's still on Pop for having him in at the end of an important game.

monty4329
03-17-2019, 02:28 PM
It was a bad call, and a significant swing. Those things are going to happen, and there's nothing you can do about it. But there is something a team can do about inbounding the ball, and clock management.

Patty made two FT's with 16.5 seconds left, to give the Spurs a 9 point lead. At that point, all you have to do is defend the 3P line. They aren't going to get five 2P shots in 16.5 seconds. Three seconds later, Patty fouls Hood as he was driving to the rim. The only things you can't afford to do there is give up a quick, uncontested 3, or give them a 3-point play - and the whole team should know that. Let him have the damn layup. Pop should have carved that on Patty's ass with a soldering iron in the locker room. But he didn't. How do I know he didn't? Because they keep doing the same stupid things.

If that's all Patty's fault, then it's still on Pop for having him in at the end of an important game.

We lost enough games in the last minutes with Mills on the bench. He doesn't do many mental mistakes (that was one, obviously). He got in with 40 seconds to go subbing for Forbes. I don't think I want Forbes handling the ball instead of Patty. Ditto for Marco.

TDomination
03-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Derrick white healthy and a pau gasol trade has turned this team around.

Great win! Best winning streak since 2017

Nathan89
03-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Pau was ankle weights for the team. He should be thanked tbh.

tlongII
03-17-2019, 03:44 PM
CJ is going to be okay so I’m fine with this.

John B
03-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Derrick white healthy and a pau gasol trade has turned this team around.

Great win! Best winning streak since 2017
Don’t forget Poeltl work on the glass. I think his rim protection, blocks, rebounds are crucial to Spurs winning tbh.

John B
03-17-2019, 04:57 PM
I think Timvp is tough on Aldridge and Demar. They carried the team in the 1st half. Blazers could’ve led high without their 1st half production and never looked back. But with a pedestrian play in the 2nd half, should average around B-.

Shakril
03-17-2019, 08:20 PM
I think Timvp is tough on Aldridge and Demar. They carried the team in the 1st half. Blazers could’ve led high without their 1st half production and never looked back. But with a pedestrian play in the 2nd half, should average around B-.

Except for a few games, i never have the feeling that aldridge and derozan are dangerous enough for other teams to be concerned. What i mean by that is, that other teams will have no problem letting those two have 30 points games as long as they can keep everybody else from the scoreboard. So Aldridge and Derozan carrying the load does not mean much, which will be a problem in the Playoffs. Double teams will be rare and spacing will be tight. Though i hope Poeltl will deliver his screens which opens up a little bit. We need a consistend 3rd option who at least scores 20 a game if needed.

superbigtime
03-17-2019, 10:47 PM
when McCollum went down you can hear the announcer caution fans about unruly behavior and not throwing things on the court and using profanity, etc ... that was right as they were tossing these 4 young dudes out 2 rows in front of my wife and 3 year old daughter. They had gotten drunk and loud and obnoxious and were not usual ticket holders, and a couple fans complained to security and they were like instantly surrounded. 2 of them tried to dash away from security! My daughter told them to sit down and stop being rude lol. wife was pretty impressed with how quick security was on these guys. I think league is keeping eyes open with recent Westbrook incident.

Cry Havoc
03-18-2019, 03:08 AM
Thanks TimVP, stellar work as usual.

I love seeing the effort from DeMar on D.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
It's already been said, but timvp and his grades make this forum great again.

:tu The collective intellectual IQ of Spurstalk has doubled since the return of Timvp.

Good comments on Poetl. I listened to him interviewed recently, and he was commenting that learning to play defense with an emphasis on not fouling was something he had to learn after getting to the Spurs. My guess is with the second unit on the Raptors, that Casey just wanted him to be as disruptive as possible, and fouls (beyond silly fouls) weren't necessarily frowned upon. But as his role increases, that ability to play without fouling becomes more and more important. I think this speaks again to how Pop and his staff develop these players to be their best. Poetl's game, and what he contributes, might outweigh the loss of Danny Green in terms of what he brings to the Spurs...Poetl seems to be a good young asset for the Spurs to build upon.

spurs10
03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Many thanks for the grades TiMVP! It's why I have been coming here for more than a decade. Well said Bill! The content by ​timvp is what drew me here as well and it's great to see its return!! I have been feeling good about this season with all the drama of last year in the past. This last 8 game winning streak is just what I was hoping for- a team that wants to play together.

tenbeersbold
03-18-2019, 02:45 PM
Eh,sorry but OP consistently grades out Forbes and Mills way too high.

Both give back whatever they generate on the offense by being picked on and scored on at will on D.

Especially Mills,Portland game he was chucking up bad shots and getting abused on D as well as his bone headed foul at the end of the game to stop the clock in Portland's favor

Sorry Mills gets a solid D just for that play,no vet should be that clueless at end of game clock mgmt