PDA

View Full Version : Latest Power Rankings have Spurs at #9

R. DeMurre
03-18-2019, 11:25 AM
"The two players the Spurs received in the Kawhi Leonard (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard) deal have been driving forces during the NBA's longest active win streak. DeMar DeRozan (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3978/demar-derozan)'s contributions during the eight-game run are obvious from scanning box scores, as he is averaging 21.0 points on 52.4 percent shooting, 6.0 rebounds and 6.4 assists. Jakob Poeltl (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3134908/jakob-poeltl) has been a dominant defensive force, as the Spurs have allowed only 92.4 points per 100 possessions with the big man on the floor during the streak, in which he has blocked 2.4 shots in 26.5 minutes per game."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26268476/nba-power-rankings-warriors-overtake-bucks-top-spot

Arcadian
03-18-2019, 11:27 AM
:toast

R. DeMurre
03-18-2019, 11:28 AM
DeRozan has his faults, but I am impressed by his career high averages in assists and rebounds per game...

Plus adjusting to playing the point a bunch earlier in the year and now playing SF-- both of which are probably slightly out of his comfort zone.

BillMc
03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
And we got a first coming too.

All this and Nephew likely to bolt Toronto. Not sure the trade is as one-sided as some say.

exstatic
03-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Poodle Power!

ZeusWillJudge
03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
DDR, plus Poeltl, plus a pick vs. 57 games from Kawhi. Plus getting to build some team chemistry, instead of having him killing it because everyone knows he won't be here after this season. Those really were the Spurs' only two options, and they definitely picked the best option for them. It may have been worth it for Toronto, if they ring. But if they don't and Kawhi leaves? It really will be the most lopsided trade in recent history - in the Spurs' favor.

sananspursfan21
03-18-2019, 02:32 PM
NBA.com has us at 6!

SpurPadre
03-18-2019, 03:32 PM
DDR, plus Poeltl, plus a pick vs. 57 games from Kawhi. Plus getting to build some team chemistry, instead of having him killing it because everyone knows he won't be here after this season. Those really were the Spurs' only two options, and they definitely picked the best option for them. It may have been worth it for Toronto, if they ring. But if they don't and Kawhi leaves? It really will be the most lopsided trade in recent history - in the Spurs' favor.

You forgot to mention LDN. THAT, really hurt our perimeter defense. Still, PATFO had to unload Load Management and that's the best they could have possibly done.

ZeusWillJudge
03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
You forgot to mention LDN. THAT, really hurt our perimeter defense. Still, PATFO had to unload Load Management and that's the best they could have possibly done.

I did. And you're right, I completely overlooked it. Damn village girls in their short tunics.

Still, a lot depends on where Danny signs next year, and for how much. The point is that if the Raps don't ring, their value from that trade is a rental.

ceperez
03-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Green also is a free agent. So next year, Raptors may have nothing and the Spurs have 3 players.

FranchisePlayer
03-18-2019, 06:52 PM
It was still worth it for them even when Kawhi bolts. They get to rebuild with all their young talent and don’t have DDR on the books.

weebo
03-18-2019, 09:30 PM
It was still worth it for them even when Kawhi bolts. They get to rebuild with all their young talent and don’t have DDR on the books.

True but no one left on that roster is super star level talent--they'll just be the same ol craptors

8FOR!3
03-18-2019, 09:53 PM
Any chance Green comes back next year? He could be DDR's backup and White/Murray/Green lineups have a lot of potential. A year or two of Green would be good until Walker's ready to get his minutes.

Rummpd
03-18-2019, 09:54 PM
5-8 range is where Spurs should be. Only Bucks Warriors Raptors and Nuggets have greatly superior records and Sixers and Rockets are likely chokes come playoffs, Thunder about same as Spurs and will fight for position rest of way.

Mr. Body
03-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Any chance Green comes back next year? He could be DDR's backup and White/Murray/Green lineups have a lot of potential. A year or two of Green would be good until Walker's ready to get his minutes.

I don't see a spot for him. He'll earn more money starting somewhere else.

Mr. Body
03-18-2019, 09:56 PM
5-8 range is where Spurs should be. Only Bucks Warriors Raptors and Nuggets have greatly superior records and Sixers and Rockets are likely chokes come playoffs, Thunder about same as Spurs and will fight for position rest of way.

I'd put the Warriors and Rockets above the Spurs and then think about the rest. I don't have much belief in any Eastern Conference team. They get killed by the West more often than not and aren't as impressive.

Rummpd
03-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Add Blazers to list of teams positioning with Spurs while Celtics are only benefiting due to weaker East. I say right now Spurs should be 7

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2019, 09:58 PM
And we got a first coming too.

All this and Nephew likely to bolt Toronto. Not sure the trade is as one-sided as some say.

i dunno man, if the raptors win the championship and kawhi bolts to LA, its worth the trade in raptors eyes, how many teams can actually say they won a championship? even if its a one hit wonder season for them

Down Under
03-18-2019, 10:53 PM
I like what we have in place for next year. Murray back, Walker & they'll probably draft 2 forwards or try & trade into the lottery for a forward.

RC_Drunkford
03-18-2019, 11:16 PM
I like what we have in place for next year. Murray back, Walker & they'll probably draft 2 forwards or try & trade into the lottery for a forward.

Yeah, I hope we can add another solid rotation player with the MLE. Not to mention the young guys in White, Bertans, Murray, Walker and Poeltl improving further

Down Under
03-19-2019, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I hope we can add another solid rotation player with the MLE. Not to mention the young guys in White, Bertans, Murray, Walker and Poeltl improving further
You reckon they will pay Gay for 2 years? 2yr/$30mil or something similar.

skin27
03-19-2019, 01:23 AM
NBA.com has us at 6!

Its 8

ZeusWillJudge
03-19-2019, 02:04 AM
You reckon they will pay Gay for 2 years? 2yr/$30mil or something similar.

One of the cap experts may correct me, but I believe the only way they can re-sign Rudy would be through the non-Bird exception. That would allow them to give him a contract starting at 120% of his current salary. They could give him up to a four year contract under the exception, with a max 5% increase per year. His cap hold for next year will automatically be 120% of this year's salary. Or at least that's how I remember it.

I believe that's the only way for them to get him re-signed. I've said before, I think him leaving would be a disaster for this team - especially since they wouldn't be able to spend that money for someone no on an exception. I know he's getting older and has had injury problems, but I think they will do everything they can to try to keep him. I think that means something like 3/$40M, and hope he signs. Maybe the third is only partially guaranteed.

He only played 57 games last year. He's already played 57 this year, and there are still 11 games to go. So even if he gets a few nights off before the end of the regular season, he'll finish with around 65 games, which is more than Nephew will play this year. If he plays that many the next two years, it means that he's healthy enough to do what they need.

ceperez
03-19-2019, 09:51 AM
One of the cap experts may correct me, but I believe the only way they can re-sign Rudy would be through the non-Bird exception. That would allow them to give him a contract starting at 120% of his current salary. They could give him up to a four year contract under the exception, with a max 5% increase per year. His cap hold for next year will automatically be 120% of this year's salary. Or at least that's how I remember it.

I believe that's the only way for them to get him re-signed. I've said before, I think him leaving would be a disaster for this team - especially since they wouldn't be able to spend that money for someone no on an exception. I know he's getting older and has had injury problems, but I think they will do everything they can to try to keep him. I think that means something like 3/$40M, and hope he signs. Maybe the third is only partially guaranteed.

He only played 57 games last year. He's already played 57 this year, and there are still 11 games to go. So even if he gets a few nights off before the end of the regular season, he'll finish with around 65 games, which is more than Nephew will play this year. If he plays that many the next two years, it means that he's healthy enough to do what they need.

I don't think Gay can get top dollar elsewhere. He's too old and too injury prone. This gives me high confidence that he gets resigned by the Spurs again.

Play Boban
03-19-2019, 10:09 AM
i dunno man, if the raptors win the championship and kawhi bolts to LA, its worth the trade in raptors eyes, how many teams can actually say they won a championship? even if its a one hit wonder season for them

Toronto isn't winning crap tbqh.

BillMc
03-19-2019, 10:33 AM

I don't think Toronto will win, and even if they did, unless they beat the Spurs in the Finals it doesn't affect us. If they ring it might be worth it to them (but they won't), so who wins the trade really comes down to if Nephew bolts.

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 10:42 AM

1. You forgot Danny Green, the best man-to-man defensive wing the Spurs had since Bruce Bowen. Leonard was always more of a free safety than a man defender.

2. The Craptors aren't going to "ring". They won't make it past the 2nd round in the Least. They're a choking franchise in a third world country with choking players.

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 10:44 AM
I don't think Toronto will win, and even if they did, unless they beat the Spurs in the Finals it doesn't affect us. If they ring it might be worth it to them (but they won't), so who wins the trade really comes down to if Nephew bolts.
Superstars don't bolt to another team immediately after winning the championship. I don't believe it's ever happened in NBA history, or at least modern history.

Then again, the Craptors aren't winning shit. :lol

R. DeMurre
03-19-2019, 10:52 AM
They're a choking franchise in a third world country with choking players.

You haven't traveled much, have you?

Calispursfan11
03-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Its 8

NBC Sports has us at 6.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/nba-power-rankings#slide-31

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 10:57 AM

Canada sucks. Trudeau is a communist.

R. DeMurre
03-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Canada sucks. Trudeau is a communist.

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
I've been to 32 states, both sides of Niagara falls, and Piedras Negras, Mexico. Come at me.

R. DeMurre
03-19-2019, 11:01 AM
I've been to 32 states, both sides of Niagara falls, and Piedras Negras, Mexico. Come at me.

So you've been on one continent... Yeah, you haven't traveled much.

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 11:02 AM
So you've been on one continent... Yeah, you haven't traveled much.

Not everybody can get a passport, genius.

R. DeMurre
03-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Not everybody can get a passport, genius.

Clearly.

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Clearly.

I'm happy with my Texas Driver's License, thank you. :toast

R. DeMurre
03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Clearly.

And you can dislike Trudeau all you like-- but if you think Canada is a third world country, you're clearly blind to reality.

R. DeMurre
03-19-2019, 11:12 AM

That's the most Texan thing I've read all week.

It is possible to love your home town and your home state, and still be curious about the millions of things that occur outside of them.

2019 Goals:
-Move out of Texas

:lol

BillMc
03-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Not sure where to put this (besides the trash!) but Stephen A says Spurs are not a threat because of LMA. This is the same guy who defends Melo constantly as "Big Time".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy9q241z6Y

Dex
03-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Not sure where to put this (besides the trash!) but Stephen A says Spurs are not a threat because of LMA. This is the same guy who defends Melo constantly as "Big Time".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy9q241z6Y

Screamin' A Smith just says this stupid shit because he knows it gets peoples attention.

Nivek_ogre
03-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Was thinking the same thing. What a fucking moron

Mr. Body
03-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Don't forget repeatedly sticking your head up your ass.

Emperor
03-19-2019, 07:23 PM

You're really missing out on wonderful cities like Barcelona and Dublin among others. There's a huge world outside of Texas ya know. But nothing beats Texas bbq imo!

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2019, 09:17 PM
You're really missing out on wonderful cities like Barcelona and Dublin among others. There's a huge world outside of Texas ya know. But nothing beats Texas bbq imo!

Barcelona seems interesting, but if I went to Europe I'd really want to see Italy, Greece, Albania, the Balkans etc. because of the fresh, healthy, non-processed Mediterranean food... the steadily nice weather, and most importantly the amazing women I've heard about from those parts.

They're fit but not anorexic... white but not pasty... sexy but not whorish... winers but not drunks... and that luscious raven hair with streaks of brown. And, they're amazing at cooking and generally not too religious or political.

Seventyniner
03-19-2019, 09:37 PM
Screamin' A Smith just says this stupid shit because he knows it gets peoples attention.

It has become a recipe now. Say stupid shit even if it's not true, double and triple down when pressed, and never admit that you're wrong. It got Trump elected for god's sake.

GusT15
03-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Barcelona seems interesting, but if I went to Europe I'd really want to see Italy, Greece, Albania, the Balkans etc. because of the fresh, healthy, non-processed Mediterranean food... the steadily nice weather, and most importantly the amazing women I've heard about from those parts.

They're fit but not anorexic... white but not pasty... sexy but not whorish... winers but not drunks... and that luscious raven hair with streaks of brown. And, they're amazing at cooking and generally not too religious or political.

If you wanna check Mediterranean food and Mediterranean women,Italy and Greece are the two countries you want to visit.

If you start going further up north towards the Balkan peninsula you're gonna get mostly disappointed and depressed.
(From the food and the weather,not from the women,but still...)

Millennial_Messiah
03-20-2019, 01:39 PM
If you wanna check Mediterranean food and Mediterranean women,Italy and Greece are the two countries you want to visit.

If you start going further up north towards the Balkan peninsula you're gonna get mostly disappointed and depressed.
(From the food and the weather,not from the women,but still...)
I agree that Italy and Greece are great starting points. I've heard the Balkan area women make perhaps the most loyal, loving and ladylike wives and they're really attractive. They're also generally at least 2nd generation agnostic to atheist despite having come from Orthodox Christian or Ottomite Muslim families. Italian women are gorgeous, but I'd be a little cautious of over-the-top Catholicism. Greece is probably less religious though as they're from Orthodox lineage and still take pride in their ancient pagan heritage.

Andrea Tantaros... yum. I wanted to marry her in HS.

Food wise, I want to try the Italian oven baked pizzas, fresh pasta with Arrabiata style meat sauce, Greek gyros with goat cheese, and seasoned lamb with dolma with eggplant so bad. Also a real Greek salad in Greece. The one I make at home is damn good but not authentic enough.

I'm not really interested in going to the UK, France, or Germany. The food is pretty much the same as American food (as that's where American food came from) and the women are bland, supercilious and opportunistic just like American women.

exstatic
03-20-2019, 01:52 PM

Early Bird is 175% of previous salary or the average salary.

ZeusWillJudge
03-21-2019, 12:45 AM
Early Bird is 175% of previous salary or the average salary.

I don't know why I was thinking that Gay had screwed up his Early Bird with that opt-out mess last season. But all he had to do was stay with the same team for two years, so you're right. Besides that, they couldn't give him a 3-year deal even under Early Bird.

Everyone figured he had signed for less because of the injury problems, to prove he could really still play. He's missed something like a dozen games, but I think he's more than proven himself. I guess that 2/30 deal looks pretty close.