PDA

View Full Version : Would Rudy Gay careerwise be a multiple years legit All Star sans injuries?

MultiTroll
03-18-2019, 08:07 PM
I say absolutely.

His offensive repertoire is excellent. Even when opponent is playing good D.

Never mind the phaggot media who votes.
I mean real talk.

GusT15
03-18-2019, 08:16 PM
Rudy Gay was never characterized with lack of talent.He was always considered an all star talent.

He was accused of empty stats.If he had spent his prime in a contending team he would have multiple all star appearances.

John B
03-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Rudy’s been playing great basketball both sides of the court. I’d say he would’ve been if he were playing with a contender. He wasted all those years in Kings. We should’ve gotten him 3-4 years ago and it would’ve been special.

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2019, 08:44 PM
all star talent but was on crap teams that didnt get enough wins to push him into the media

remember granger also? a legit sf with size, who for some reason didnt also get the media light out in t he easts, maybe it was due to tmac/vc out easts getting more love then him....

Rummpd
03-18-2019, 09:33 PM
All star maybe / all NBA is higher bar even third team. He is a great Spur however

8FOR!3
03-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Really impressed with Rudy Gay as a Spur obviously. Maybe the basketball gods gave us that one to make up for Richard Jefferson.

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2019, 09:53 PM
All star maybe / all NBA is higher bar even third team. He is a great Spur however

there are guys who are allstar talent but never made an all star team due to popularity contest

then there are guys who never made all star team but made all nba teams, vice versa?

R. DeMurre
03-18-2019, 09:54 PM
A great low risk/high reward chance taken by PATFO. I was saying the summer he signed that it was the best underrated move of that off season, and it has definitely paid off.

superbigtime
03-18-2019, 10:12 PM
I love Rudy. His all star caliber days are gone but he will still make all star plays.

timvp
03-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Eh, he was relatively healthy before the Achilles snapped.

The better question, IMO, is whether he would have become a superstar if he were drafted by the Spurs and coached by Pop his entire career.

Down Under
03-19-2019, 12:43 AM
Biggest thing seems to have being asked to be a 1 or 1A option on most teams where he needed to jack up 20+ shots/game & he probably wasn't that. Here, where he can be much more selective - shoot over mismatches, cutting off the ball, spot ups etc, he's much more efficient.

DAF86
03-19-2019, 01:00 AM

The better question, IMO, is whether he would have become a superstar if he were drafted by the Spurs and coached by Pop his entire career.

Learning good habits from the get go. Would have been interesting to see.

I think it would have depended on the way he would have taken Pop's tough love kind of coaching. Gay has been great, personality wise, here, but we have to bare in mind that we got a past-prime, humbled Rudy Gay. A young, over confident, Rudy Gay might not have been as docile.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2019, 01:11 AM
after tmac/kirby
there was meant to be gay/granger << these 2 didnt pan out as the next elite wingman players, due to being on shit teams or no media exposure...
then came durant/pg etc.... gay and granger became an after thought irrelevant

Spurtacular
03-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Rudy Gay was never characterized with lack of talent.He was always considered an all star talent.

He was accused of empty stats.If he had spent his prime in a contending team he would have multiple all star appearances.

He was a bit of a primadonna when he was on Memphis. He is not blameless for his career track not having more success.

John B
03-19-2019, 07:56 AM
I would’ve loved to have seen him in Spurs uniform 4-5 years ago. He would’ve made a big difference. Demar has also re-structured his game both as a distributor and on defense and it shows

SpursDynasty85
03-19-2019, 08:24 AM
No one would bat an eye if he made a few all star appearances but his game was not well-rounded enough to surplant the forwards of his era. Specially the power forwards which took up at least 3 or 4 of the all star spots when he was in the west. He is mainly an isolation scorer and rebounder. His playmaking and defense were not impressive but as a veteran guy and a 4th option, he is solid. He has a good attitude and seems like a great teammate. Glad to have him on our team and hope he signs for 2 morw years after this one on the cheap.

MultiTroll
03-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Learning good habits from the get go. Would have been interesting to see.

I think it would have depended on the way he would have taken Pop's tough love kind of coaching. Gay has been great, personality wise, here, but we have to bare in mind that we got a past-prime, humbled Rudy Gay. A young, over confident, Rudy Gay might not have been as docile.
Do you guys think he could have gotten playoff time over Matt Bonner?

Mr. Body
03-19-2019, 05:05 PM
He shows the value of getting drafted to the right team. Kawhi was drafted to the right team (and stabbed them in the back). Many others got drafted to the wrong franchise, and there are many, and crapped out far earlier than they should have.

spurraider21
03-19-2019, 05:20 PM
gay has been the perfect soldier tbh. he's accepted an overall lesser role, but has been capable as the primary option for the bench unit.

you take this version of gay and give him his youth, it's a different story. its funny, we even saw that with a legend like timmy. he was still killing it at 36-37 years old (even defensively) by getting more crafty and learning to time his movements so much better. imagine giving THAT version of duncan his prime athleticism...

quentin_compson
03-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Prime Gay wasn't that much different from where DeRozan is now: Very talented, capable of scoring and creating shots, spotty defense (although Gay was always better in that regard than DeRozan), wanting and/or being asked to play the role of a first or second option (basically a superstar role) even though they can't do that, being paid superstar or first-option money while not being worth it.
I love what Gay has been doing as a Spur, by the way. Huge props to him and to Pop and Co. for making it work with him accepting a smaller role - the injury probably played a huge factor there, but still.

RC_Drunkford
03-19-2019, 08:12 PM
Rudy Gay was never the caliber of player to be a #1 option. Even him as a #2 option didn't work on the Kings. But he's damn sure a good 3rd option. It's the perfect role for him weather off the bench or as a starter,

Texas_Ranger
03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
i was never the biggest Rudy fan before, cause he was pretty much putting up empty stats. But this last 2 seasons, especially this year he's been great with a smaller role. He could be a Manu type of the bench on a championship team. Happy to have him.

MultiTroll
03-19-2019, 09:12 PM
No one would bat an eye if he made a few all star appearances but his game was not well-rounded enough to surplant the forwards of his era. Specially the power forwards which took up at least 3 or 4 of the all star spots when he was in the west.
Somewhat agree. Stats and interesting piece of Spurs related trivia:

Before missing the final 23 regular season games and all of the 2011 Playoffs due to a left shoulder subluxation sustained on February 15 against the Philadelphia 76ers:

He emerged as one of the league's premier small forwards in 2010–11, posting career highs in seven major statistical categories
assists (2.8), steals (1.69), blocks (1.07), field goal percentage (.471), three-point field goal percentage (.396), free throw percentage (.805) and minutes (39.9). He also ranked second on the team in scoring (19.8 points) in 54 games (all starts).

Gay watched from the sidelines as the Grizzlies defeated the top-seeded San Antonio Spurs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Spurs) in a first round upset (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_Playoffs#(1)_San_Antonio_Spurs_vs._(8)_Me mphis_Grizzlies).