PDA

View Full Version : 0:17 / 6:52 The Spurs aren't a threat in the West until LaMarcus Aldridge steps up - Stephen A

spursparker9
03-20-2019, 07:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy9q241z6Y

Fireball
03-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Aldridge is not the problem ... Spurs overall are just not talented enough to be a threat in the west

GusT15
03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Kellerman's nose looks like he snorted a buttload of cocaine before the show.

Stephen A. strangely enough has a valid point about LMA.He is playing like an all star.All of his career he is playing like an all star.

But he has/had all the tools to be playing like a superstar.Build like a tank,signature moves in and around the post,excellent jump shooter who just had to expand his range in today's NBA,good defender,good rebounder.

Aldridge has had playoff games where he completely took over.And not meaningless games as well.With Portland,with the Spurs against OKC,against Houston.But he can't sustain that performance for reasons other than his skillset.

He is an all star,who had all the traits to be a superstar,and has played like a total scrub in so many games for reasons only he knows.
It is what it is.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-20-2019, 08:36 AM
I think LMA has played with a ton of effort. Hopefully that carries over to the post season.

emanueldavidginobili
03-20-2019, 08:45 AM
LMA is fine he’s played more good games than bad games in the playoffs. Not sure if SAS knows DDR is on the team tbh

Kobe'sAchilles
03-20-2019, 08:51 AM
Step up how? We made the conference finals 2 years ago with LMA. Last year we faced the Warriors who curb stomped everybody except Houston. I mean if out first round match up is Portland and our second round is Denver then are we still not a threat? Bc Portland and Denver haven't shown anything in the playoffs. I think Screaming A. Smith is downplaying how bad the west is if that's his reasoning.

OKC isn't a threat until Westbrook steps up in the playoffs. Denver isn't a threat until they step up in the playoffs. Portland isn't a threat until Dame steps up in the playoffs (and doesn't get swept by the Pelicans :lol). Clippers aren't a threat until Lou Williams steps up in the playoffs. Hell if Houston and Golden St match up against each other in the semi finals then who is really the other threat in the west to make the WCF. I would say us.

lmbebo
03-20-2019, 09:01 AM
I don't think team is contructed to win it all, never was. It would take an incredible run with a lot of players just balling. Not wrong on LMA.

GusT15
03-20-2019, 09:26 AM
I think LMA has played with a ton of effort. Hopefully that carries over to the post season.

But he's not talking about his regular season though.He specifically talks about the post season.

He's basically saying he is an extremely good player and the Spurs aren't a threat to the Warriors-at least that's what i'm getting from the whole segment,that we're not a threat to take down the Warriors,not if we're going past the 1st round-unless LMA averages 30 and 10 for the series.

And well,he's right.In both the sense that LMA CAN average 25 and 10,and that if he doesn't do that,we can't take down the Warriors in a 7game series.That's what i heard from that argument.

Dverde
03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Aldridge is not the problem ... Spurs overall are just not talented enough to be a threat in the west

Elephant in the room is the rest of the NBA teams are Lithuania and the Warriors are Team USA. Their talent is almost insurmountable in a best of seven series.

$pursDynasty
03-20-2019, 09:35 AM
But he's not talking about his regular season though.He specifically talks about the post season.

He's basically saying he is an extremely good player and the Spurs aren't a threat to the Warriors-at least that's what i'm getting from the whole segment,that we're not a threat to take down the Warriors,not if we're going past the 1st round-unless LMA averages 30 and 10 for the series.

And well,he's right.In both the sense that LMA CAN average 25 and 10,and that if he doesn't do that,we can't take down the Warriors in a 7game series.That's what i heard from that argument.
If that is the case then the same can be said about the Rockettes because outside of last year everybody on that team has a history of fading in the playoffs.

GusT15
03-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Elephant in the room is the rest of the NBA teams are Lithuania and the Warriors are Team USA. Their talent is almost insurmountable in a best of seven series.

Right on.
But they can't make a debate sports show while going back and forth with

-"Fuck Golden State"
-"No Max,Fuck KD"
-"No,Fuck Cousins"

So they just try to talk about other teams while not addressing the elephant in the room and nitpicking at the details.We beat the Warriors the other night so it was our turn to get talked about as the "potential threat in the West".

GusT15
03-20-2019, 09:46 AM
If that is the case then the same can be said about the Rockettes because outside of last year everybody on that team has a history of fading in the playoffs.

Of course it can be said about the Rockettes and most of the time that's exactly what's being said.

Some teams have a more marketable star,Like the Rockettes with Harden,and they just go the old route of "I'm gonna say if Harden plays like the MVP yadda,yadda i guarantee Houston will win and you say that the Warriors can't be beaten no matter what".

With the Spurs it's LMA must play better or they're not a threat,and the other dude goes,you must respect the Spurs they are the golden standard of he NBA.It's the same old media thing.

BillMc
03-20-2019, 09:47 AM
And yest Stephen A continues to think Melo is big time, while some how the game has passed LMA by....:wtf

ZeusWillJudge
03-20-2019, 09:47 AM
In Portland, Aldridge was a PF 90% of the time, with occasional situational duty as a C. He came to SA, and that changed to about 50%-50%, and has evolved to the point that he's playing about 90%C and 10% PF. His FGA were down, partly due to the position change, and partly due to sharing with Nephew. But his overall numbers held up, and he clearly made the defense better. The numbers say that Aldridge is playing just about as good as he ever has - especially the Per 36 numbers. Very slightly down in some areas, but slightly up in some others.

And just for the record, LA was a freakin' beast in the playoffs last year. The only statistic that wasn't up from his average was FG% - and that's because they fouled the shit out of him. But he made them pay by making 41 of 42 FTA.

Whatever is wrong with the team, it isn't Aldridge - unless he's just calling for LMA to be better than he ever has been. That seems easy.

tmtcsc
03-20-2019, 10:01 AM
I want to believe the Spurs are back on track but they did this earlier in the season and relapsed. They've been fortunate during this streak to face some of the better teams who have either been missing players or have been in a bit of a funk. Folks, I would keep your expectations firmly in check. I don't think the Spurs have the personnel to sustain the level of defense they'll need to go far in the playoffs.

IF they are fortunate to avoid the 4, 5 or 8th seed (stay away from the Warriors), they may have a chance to win one round or two. Getting to the Finals would take a miracle.

Russ
03-20-2019, 10:07 AM
In Portland, Aldridge was a PF 90% of the time, with occasional situational duty as a C.

Remember how vehemently LMA said that he would never play center when he came to SA.

He came to SA, and that changed to about 50%-50%, and has evolved to the point that he's playing about 90%C and 10% PF.

That was Pop's secret silent plan.

To get LMA to attempt to take on Duncan's role without ever telling him that.

But his overall numbers held up, and he clearly made the defense better. The numbers say that Aldridge is playing just about as good as he ever has - especially the Per 36 numbers. Very slightly down in some areas, but slightly up in some others.

And just for the record, LA was a freakin' beast in the playoffs last year. The only statistic that wasn't up from his average was FG% - and that's because they fouled the shit out of him. But he made them pay by making 41 of 42 FTA.

Whatever is wrong with the team, it isn't Aldridge . . .

So far, so good.

stu scotts eye
03-20-2019, 10:14 AM

They are a sprained Durant ankle away from not being insurmountable.

Unfortunately, thoroughout the GSW run, GSW has never had to face a Popovich team that had all crucial players healthy.

Just like Rox were a Paul sprained ankle away from beating these punks. Or we were a Kawhi sprained ankle from beating them. Or a Kawhi being a b1tch, from beating them.

They've had minimal adversity relative to everyone else over this run. So all it takes is a little tweak. So get off their nuts

Chucho
03-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Stephen A. Smith's complete job description these days is "Say dumb shit. LOTS of it...actually say nothing but dumb shit."

There isn't a more prominently featured analyst or talking head on any sports media outlet that puts out the volume of shit takes that Screaming Stephen is paid to put out.

Rosewood
03-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Appreciate the link, but this could be said about any team/team leader other than Warriors.

ZeusWillJudge
03-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Remember how vehemently LMA said that he would never play center when he came to SA.

Does anyone know that for a fact? I heard that so many times, and I realized that I never read it in Aldridge's own words. I'm not jamming you up about it, just wondering if you ever saw it straight from the horse's mouth either.

Either way, he took one for the team and did a good job with the transition. It's one of the reasons I just have to laugh when people complain that he doesn't look just like he did in Portland.

baseline bum
03-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Aldridge isn't Duncan or Robinson. He's not going to deliver like that every single night. It's an unrealistic expectation for LMA to become that first ballot HOF'er, especially when he's going on 34 years old. It might have been more reasonable to have that expectation early on when he had a stacked team around him to take pressure off, but that's not the case now.

Pavlov
03-20-2019, 12:24 PM
His splits for March are pretty impressive; don't know how long he can keep that level of performance.

John B
03-20-2019, 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy9q241z6Y
:lmao the last words, “not championship contenders.” and their reasoning is because Spurs cannot shoot 3’s. Idiots. Where do they get these analysts? You win on defense. I bet we have Murray, White, Kawhi, Davis, Aldridge we win the championship, with Poeltl, Demar, Gay in rotation. Bball is scoring and limiting the other team from scoring, not just outscoring without playing defense. Dubs win not because they can shoot, but because they do hard picks which open players and they’re one of the best defensive teams.

I like the start of the clips about Pop a wizard, but regular season coach :lmao:lmao

paperboy77
03-20-2019, 01:13 PM
SAS is full of shit. He used to be ok I guess specifically covering the NBA. Regardless, it's not really on LA to be the one that leads us to a chip. Really, that's going to be on some one like DD or a Rudy Gay and especially on how Pop allows these guys to play.. LA's game is just not very consistent when team get ultra physical or doubles him up. That's because he forgets his physical advantages and tries to become shooter when he should be kicking it back out and reestablishing position. Spurs can go deep this year and it's going to depend how Pop pulls the strings.

CitizenDwayne
03-20-2019, 01:27 PM
I can tell from the title that this is a shit take

Dverde
03-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Remember when Skip was calling Pop overrated earlier this year, now he is jerking off to the SAS/GSW box score calling him the GOAT. They are all gypsies trying to get your attention with their half baked intern-proposed takes.

MoSpur02
03-20-2019, 01:42 PM
I want to believe the Spurs are back on track but they did this earlier in the season and relapsed. They've been fortunate during this streak to face some of the better teams who have either been missing players or have been in a bit of a funk. Folks, I would keep your expectations firmly in check. I don't think the Spurs have the personnel to sustain the level of defense they'll need to go far in the playoffs.

IF they are fortunate to avoid the 4, 5 or 8th seed (stay away from the Warriors), they may have a chance to win one round or two. Getting to the Finals would take a miracle.

This. They have won most of these games against good teams missing key players. They've also have won most of them at home. They need to win consistently on the road. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with all the winning lately, but I don't think they have what it takes to make it to the Western Conference Finals. They have a good chance to get past the first round and maybe the second round, but they better hope for home court advantage.

Mugen
03-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Even getting to the WCF would take tremendous luck plus Pop's greatest coaching job sans 2014.

Even winning a round would be miraculous for this team considering they are absolutely terrible on the road, have horrible clock management to end quarters/games and feature a historic playoff choker in Derozan.

Even with the winning streak, I'd put them as firm underdogs in any first round series unless they somehow get a 3 or 4 seed, then i'd put it as a 50/50 chance they advance.

Shakril
03-20-2019, 03:05 PM
The truth is simple.

Except for the Warriors, everybody can beat anybody in the West. I dont think that Denver neither Houston are above the others.

The only way to beat the Warriors in my opinion are 3 things:
- Discipline and control of the pace of a game
- Good Perimeter Defenders on at least two of the three Juggernaugts (Durant, Curry, Thompson)
- Exploiting their weakness on the Center Position. Yes i know they have Cousins, but he is neither Healthy nor has ever played in a Playoff game.

As of right now, their are only teams which have at best 2 of the 3 conditions met.
Spurs for example have the Discipline and are able to exploit the center position. But with only White there is no second defender on the perimeter. Also DeRozean i fear will be Playoff DeRozean.

cool cat
03-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Step up how? We made the conference finals 2 years ago with LMA. Last year we faced the Warriors who curb stomped everybody except Houston. I mean if out first round match up is Portland and our second round is Denver then are we still not a threat? Bc Portland and Denver haven't shown anything in the playoffs. I think Screaming A. Smith is downplaying how bad the west is if that's his reasoning.

OKC isn't a threat until Westbrook steps up in the playoffs. Denver isn't a threat until they step up in the playoffs. Portland isn't a threat until Dame steps up in the playoffs (and doesn't get swept by the Pelicans :lol). Clippers aren't a threat until Lou Williams steps up in the playoffs. Hell if Houston and Golden St match up against each other in the semi finals then who is really the other threat in the west to make the WCF. I would say us.

+1

cd021
03-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Aldridge has carried this team per par, Stephen A taking that nonsense tbh.

cd021
03-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Even getting to the WCF would take tremendous luck plus Pop's greatest coaching job sans 2014.

Even winning a round would be miraculous for this team considering they are absolutely terrible on the road, have horrible clock management to end quarters/games and feature a historic playoff choker in Derozan.

Even with the winning streak, I'd put them as firm underdogs in any first round series unless they somehow get a 3 or 4 seed, then i'd put it as a 50/50 chance they advance.

I couldn't disagree more tbh.

When the Spurs top 9 are healthy, they are even with the other teams (minus GSW) in the west. I think that there is a good chance they make the second round, especially if they're matched up with Denver in the 2-7.

Road records in regular seasons don't matter as much in the playoffs. Winning one game on the playoffs can swing the series, with scouting, playing the same team multiple times, and having days off in between makes it more possible to steal a game for this team.

Mugen
03-20-2019, 03:49 PM
I couldn't disagree more tbh.

When the Spurs top 9 are healthy, they are even with the other teams (minus GSW) in the west. I think that there is a good chance they make the second round, especially if they're matched up with Denver in the 2-7.

Road records in regular seasons don't matter as much in the playoffs. Winning one game on the playoffs can swing the series, with scouting, playing the same team multiple times, and having days off in between makes it more possible to steal a game for this team.

Any team with a top 9 (a "top 9" is pretty meaningless in the playoffs since rotations are shortened) that relies on the likes of Patty Mills, Bryn Forbes, Marco Belinelli, and Demar Derozan to not get absolutely abused defensively shouldn't be favored in any series tbh.

Russ
03-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Any team with a top 9 (a "top 9" is pretty meaningless in the playoffs since rotations are shortened) that relies on the likes of Patty Mills, Bryn Forbes, Marco Belinelli, and Demar Derozan to not get absolutely abused defensively shouldn't be favored in any series tbh.

On the other hand, two of those guys did win four series and a ring one year . . .

Mugen
03-20-2019, 04:19 PM
On the other hand, two of those guys did win four series and a ring one year . . .

Beli's minutes were cut pretty heavily during the '14 run and it's a lot easier to hide Patty on defense when you have prime Danny, Kawhi, Manu, Tiago, and Timmmy...

The '19 Spurs squad routinely throws out entire lineups that have Patty, Beli, Forbes on the court at the same time :lol

Rummpd
03-20-2019, 05:21 PM
SAS the farce who raves about football players playing who were injured - clown!

cd021
03-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Having 9 good NBA players in a rotation is still better than several other teams rotations in the playoffs. Mills will be playing fewer minutes while White plays more, Forbes will likely be capped around 25 with DeRozan likely sliding down to SG during closing lineups with White, Gay, Bertans and LMA.

The team defense has been much improved and DeRozan has been passable on that end. It is interesting that you're pesimestic about the Spurs chances when Houston is a worse defensively and less depth. Spurs may end up playing Houston in the 1st round and a long series tends to work against Houston because Pringles tends to ride his starters hard, playing them big minutes.

cd021
03-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Beli's minutes were cut pretty heavily during the '14 run and it's a lot easier to hide Patty on defense when you have prime Danny, Kawhi, Manu, Tiago, and Timmmy...

The '19 Spurs squad routinely throws out entire lineups that have Patty, Beli, Forbes on the court at the same time :lol

The Patty, Beli, Forbes, Bertans, Poeltl lineups, that I assume you're referring to, actually smash teams. +20.5 per 100 possessions :wow

Mugen
03-20-2019, 05:43 PM
The Patty, Beli, Forbes, Bertans, Poeltl lineups, that I assume you're referring to, actually smash teams. +20.5 per 100 possessions :wow

My god, some people actually want to see that lineup in the playoffs...wow.

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2019, 06:51 PM
spurs patfo
can develop players
can bury talent
draft best euros but dont bring them over

all because there were certain seasons they had a stacked roster or play within the nba salary cap...that they didnt bring over their euros

Roscoe P. Coltrane
03-20-2019, 10:33 PM
:lmao the last words, “not championship contenders.” and their reasoning is because Spurs cannot shoot 3’s. Idiots. Where do they get these analysts? You win on defense. I bet we have Murray, White, Kawhi, Davis, Aldridge we win the championship, with Poeltl, Demar, Gay in rotation. Bball is scoring and limiting the other team from scoring, not just outscoring without playing defense. Dubs win not because they can shoot, but because they do hard picks which open players and they’re one of the best defensive teams.

I like the start of the clips about Pop a wizard, but regular season coach :lmao:lmao What happened to the old saying of live by the 3 die by the 3

GusT15
03-20-2019, 10:53 PM
What happened to the old saying of live by the 3 die by the 3

A skinny mofo named Wardell showed up,he lived by the 3,he rarely died by the 3,and that saying went obsolete.

timtonymanu
03-20-2019, 10:58 PM

Duncan, Ginobili, Leonard, Green, Splitter, Diaw were a huge part of that. Hell, even injured Tony was on par with Mills and Beli in that entire run. Might as well say Austin Daye brings championship experience to any team he's on.

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Duncan, Ginobili, Leonard, Green, Splitter, Diaw were a huge part of that. Hell, even injured Tony was on par with Mills and Beli in that entire run. Might as well say Austin Daye brings championship experience to any team he's on.

wtf u smoking? coming off the bench to pad his stats when the spurs built a lead, only to see lead go down, then back up again when he was subbed off...guy is a fkn scrub

timtonymanu
03-20-2019, 11:19 PM
wtf u smoking? coming off the bench to pad his stats when the spurs built a lead, only to see lead go down, then back up again when he was subbed off...guy is a fkn scrub

That's my point lol. The "loyalty" argument in fans will think he had a good playoff run that year but Parker sucked. Mills and Beli were just about as impactful that entire run or maybe a little better. But those top 6 guys I mentioned were the reason we had a good run. We didn't win solely because of Patty and Beli.