PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch the News?

TheWriter
10-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Did anyone watch the news and hear that HollyHills has bought 1,100 acres around the SBC Center and would have an official announcement about the mega sports complex within the next 10 days.

mannyd
10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
What time?? What Channel??

TheWriter
10-27-2005, 08:04 PM
What time?? What Channel??

It was all the channels (KSAT, WOAI, KENS) at 6 when I watched the news.

mannyd
10-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Cool.... I'll watch it at 10

Mr Dio
10-27-2005, 09:41 PM
mega sports complex? details?

IceColdBrewski
10-27-2005, 09:57 PM
mega sports complex? details?

Exactly. Did they happen to mention football? Mega sports complex could mean any number of things. Could be a huge indoor shooting range for all we know.

IceColdBrewski
10-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Nascar track.

dknights411
10-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Doesn't NASCAR already have enough tracks?

TheWriter
10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Exactly. Did they happen to mention football? Mega sports complex could mean any number of things. Could be a huge indoor shooting range for all we know.

MLB, NFL stadiums and a race track.

blaze89
10-27-2005, 11:31 PM
What property around SBC Center are they talking about?

Vashner
10-28-2005, 01:43 AM
1100 acres? Must be going to bulldoze some homes... there ain't a ranch that big till you get to like Floresville....

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2005, 01:56 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA102805.01B.indy_sa.24e7f5c.html

Race exec makes an Alamo City pit stop

Web Posted: 10/28/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Laura Jesse
Express-News Staff Writer

An Indy Racing League-sanctioned street race in San Antonio is a possibility in 2007, but racing enthusiasts shouldn't get their engines revved up just yet.

Tony George, president of the league and CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, met with city and county officials and investors Thursday about the prospect of bringing a grand prix here for a five-year term.

"We had a great meeting this morning about some exciting possibilities for San Antonio," George said. "We think that the people who have sort of been putting the thought behind this event here have done a very good job and created at least a very interesting scenario that we believe could work."

Councilman Kevin Wolff said the plans between the league and HollyHills Development, the developer behind the deal, would be worked out over the next 60 days. They would then come back to present those plans to city officials.

"HollyHills would be the group that would pay the sanctioning rights for the race," said T.J. Connolly, a local spokesman for the company.

A potential route presented at the meeting would take the race through the near East Side using the Alamodome as a central point, but the route has not been finalized.

Although Wolff said the plan looks the best of any he has seen from other racing organizations, there are questions to answer and details to iron out.

"Is this a good viable thing for the city?" Wolff said. "What's the cost versus the benefit? If the cost outweighs the benefit, well, it ain't happening."

Wolff said he was pleased to hear George express similar sentiments when he told officials the race won't happen if it's not a good fit for the city or the league.

George said, however, that a San Antonio race would offer his company the prospect for expansion.

"South Texas and the Hispanic market represent the opportunity to grow our business and bring economic impact and vitality to what goes on here," he said.

Mayor Phil Hardberger, who listened in on the meeting by conference call, said the street race idea is very appealing and feasible since it has been done here before.

"I think San Antonio would love it," he said.

George indicated that problems from the past San Antonio Grand Prix, which lasted from 1987 to 1992, would have to be addressed to make this plan work.

The San Antonio Grand Prix was discontinued after five years for various reasons, including the disruption the route and street construction caused, and sponsorship problems.

In 1991, the Alamo Grand Prix Association scurried to secure a major sponsor after it rejected an offer for sponsorship renewal from Nissan Motor Corp., which had been the main sponsor since the first year.

Another contributor to the race's demise was the closing of Builders Square, a major sponsor of the event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

TheWriter
10-28-2005, 02:00 AM
Yeah, that also went down.

But so did Holly Hills buying 1,100 acres and making an official announcement about the complex within 10 days.

TheWriter
10-28-2005, 02:09 AM
1100 acres? Must be going to bulldoze some homes... there ain't a ranch that big till you get to like Floresville....

I caught the tail end of a news segment on KENS at 10 last night and they were interviewing residents on the east side and one man said something to the effect of "If they want to build a track here they gonna have to build it around me."

TheWriter
10-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Here is that new segment I was talking about.

http://www2.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/video/VideoPlayer/playvideo.cfm?action=view&skintop=display/dsp_top.cfm&skinbottom=display/dsp_bottom.cfm&type=nod&ids=33593&play=1&format=WMV

It does seem they'll be buying out homes.

TheWriter
10-28-2005, 03:31 AM
From the KENS graphic, it seems a lot homes will be bought out.

The below picture is pretty much what KENS showed, except this is a aerial picture:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/insidethe210/aerialsportscomplex.png

blaze89
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Controversy is gonna brew over this. I think COPS and those folks will scream long and hard about this one.

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Controversy is gonna brew over this. I think COPS and those folks will scream long and hard about this one.

Indeed. The developer needs the local politicians on their side so they can get the property they want through the threat/use of eminent domain. The developer also needs those politicians so they can get the deals they want with regards to tax abatements and also with regards to the use of the local governments' credit. The developer does not carry the same type of lust that our resident nutjob has for San Antonio. What they are looking for is the best deal they can find from a local government that is desperate and stupid enough to go along. I suspect that HollyHills will propose some type of plan that counts on revenue backed bonds to pay for the construction of whatever facilities they propose. What won't be said is that the developer will get the equity in the deal and that the local government will be on the hook to pay off the debt.

Horry For 3!
10-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Nascar Sucks

Vashner
10-28-2005, 02:11 PM
They would have to use that em domain. Just sounds stupid. They should build it like west of highway 90 on some of that farm land.

McKenzie
10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Traffic totally sucks in that area. Add buying out the homes and the years of fighting that will bring and we are no where with any of it. Head out 10 or 90 and find giant field. That's what they did in Irving. I remember parking the car in mud and walking a mile once.

This is stupid, though. It's all rushed because of the possiblity, however remote it may be, of getting the Saints. It's not going to happen.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Traffic totally sucks in that area. Add buying out the homes and the years of fighting that will bring and we are no where with any of it. Head out 10 or 90 and find giant field. That's what they did in Irving. I remember parking the car in mud and walking a mile once.

This is stupid, though. It's all rushed because of the possiblity, however remote it may be, of getting the Saints. It's not going to happen.

It just seems there are sooo many open field areas they could be looking at where they won't also kick ppl out for their homes...What about around the Quarry area, or 35 north towards Austin???

scott
10-28-2005, 05:18 PM
This is so awesome. After we get our MLB and NASCAR facilities, we will have so many great sporting events to watch here in town. It will be just like after we built the Alamodome and...

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2005, 06:18 PM
News: "Developers begin preliminary talks with county officials about IRL race track that could include new football and baseball stadium facilities in master plan...."

Buddy Holly: "It's a done deal. Let's tear down the Alamodome. We're on par with LA and NY now."

TheWriter
10-28-2005, 06:29 PM
News: "Developers begin preliminary talks with county officials about IRL race track that could include new football and baseball stadium facilities in master plan...."

Buddy Holly: "It's a done deal. Let's tear down the Alamodome. We're on par with LA and NY now."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Sad sad child.

Rescueone
10-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Just what we need, more facilitites to sit empty for years with the hope of the NFL, MLB, and Nascar to come a running to S.A. Besides, there isn't anything to do in that arrea after Spurs games. Why that area? People only go down there to watch the game, then immeadiately leave the area afterwards. It's going to be the same if all these proposed facilities are built over there. For those who say "Build it and they will come." Nope it should be..."Build it, and they will come and leave" is more like it. That area just isn't up to par as far as after game entertainment and restaurants are concerned. IMO those facilities need to be downtown, near the quarry, or somewhere off 1604. The idea of putting stadiums in bad lands need to stop. I know land is cheap in those areas, but it's time some of richer areas to fork over some of there high dollar precious land. I can hear them now...Stadium....."not on my side of town" give it to the East, or Southside of San Antonio.

SA210
10-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry, I would love an NFL team, I would love these facilities, and I'm so pro SA that it's ridiculous;
but not by kicking people out of their homes like they tried to do with Victoria Courts. Easy to do that on the east side isn't it?

Rescueone
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Yes, it is easy to do so.

msufan420
10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
It just seems there are sooo many open field areas they could be looking at where they won't also kick ppl out for their homes...What about around the Quarry area, or 35 north towards Austin???

Because that's where rich people live.

samikeyp
10-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Because that's where rich people live.

true...it would cost more to buy those people out than those on the east side.

hicksi
10-31-2005, 09:00 PM
true...it would cost more to buy those people out than those on the east side.
It's more likely "not in MY back yard".

TheWriter
10-31-2005, 10:20 PM
The Alamo Quarry area? That is never ever going to happen.

Rescueone
11-01-2005, 04:34 PM
So let's just forget about building any more stadiums for anything! Especially when the term "eminent domain" comes into play. If they can't find land else where, drop it like a hot potato. Along 1604 there's bunches of acres waiting for development.

Shiner Bock Girl
11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
So let's just forget about building any more stadiums for anything! Especially when the term "eminent domain" comes into play. If they can't find land else where, drop it like a hot potato. Along 1604 there's bunches of acres waiting for development.

But it looks like Holly Hills still has their eye around the SBC center area...And i agree, 1604 would also be an excellent place....

Kip Fanatic
11-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I will be talking to HollyHills about this. I am aware of 916 acres that are up for grabs. Its beautiful. Even has a lake on it. Its in the Toyota/Palo Alto (future Texas A&M) area. I hope HollyHills goes for this land I am talking about.

Shiner Bock Girl
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I will be talking to HollyHills about this. I am aware of 916 acres that are up for grabs. Its beautiful. Even has a lake on it. Its in the Toyota/Palo Alto (future Texas A&M) area. I hope HollyHills goes for this land I am talking about.

Sounds awesome!!!! I thought around the toyota area they were looking into that also...

Kip Fanatic
11-01-2005, 05:59 PM
They are. That will be South Port. Something like that.

Rescueone
11-03-2005, 04:29 PM
I guess we're going to have to wait and see what develops out of this. I still think it's a bad idea