PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio’s spiritual leader: How Patty Mills rode the rollercoaster and kept his Spurs afloat

bklynspursfan
03-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Not much that we didn't know about Patty, but sharing anyway.

For Mills, it is an all-encompassing philosophy that governs everything San Antonio has achieved over the past three decades, and hopes to attain in the future.

“It means understanding what has been built to get to this point,” says Mills. “All the hard work, the tears, the sweat, the sacrifice and the loyalty to be in an organisation that is known right throughout the world in any sport.”

“We have had great leaders, great coaches and great players that have led that way. Now that we are in that point where there is a transition between that prior era to this new era that we are transitioning to, it is about teaching that culture to these new guys so that they know this is how we do it here and that we aren’t going to change for any player, because we haven’t done that in the past.”

“I breathe, eat and sleep the Spurs way and Spurs culture,” says Mills. “Having done that so consistently for eight years, it is a part of who I am now and understanding that you play for more than just the team; you understand the legacy that you are playing for.”

The Spurs aren’t just Mills’ employer, and they aren’t just his franchise. The bond runs much deeper. After spending the majority of this decade in San Antonio, Mills has come to signify the organisation and the very best of what it stands for. “I see Patty talking about the purpose of the Spurs uniform and being the gatekeeper to their program,” says Brett Brown, a former Spurs assistant coach. “That the jersey is deeper and bigger than us, and when I read that, it is very Patty.”

Mills speaks freely on a desire to ensure his Spurs are always running correct offensive sets, also the constant communication needed to guarantee correct defensive schemes are being deployed at all times. It doesn’t matter whether he is actually on the court or not, these thoughts never leave his mind. Maybe that is a hidden benefit of those early days in San Antonio. Living life on the bench, where playing time was scant, Mills observed the Spurs quest for integrated basketball nirvana. It’s glaringly clear that those lessons help subsidise his impact in 2019.

“You have to learn the Spurs way,” says Mills. “You have to understand it and make yourself fit within in, that has always been how we’ve handled things here.”

https://pickandroll.com.au/san-antonios-spiritual-leader-how-patty-mills-rode-the-rollercoaster-and-kept-his-spurs-afloat/

sasaint
03-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Pop trading this guy... :lmao

NASpurs
03-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Jesus Christ. Vomit inducing. 8 more years I guess.

phxspurfan
03-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Who's going to Mills' jersey retirement ceremony in 2024

jermaine
03-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Some people dont undetsta you cant replace leadership.... I use to hate Mills after his shoulder injury. But he's way more important than his towel waving days.

ZeusWillJudge
03-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Spiritual Leader... for all those Moral Victories.

slick'81
03-20-2019, 03:26 PM
What a load of shit! Never seen anyone get a free pass more then our spurs jesus patty mills:clap

superbigtime
03-20-2019, 03:35 PM
I understand Mills is overpaid and not our best player by a long sight. But mocking him is pure asshole.

Dverde
03-20-2019, 03:36 PM
Holy shit! The Spurs really are a cult.

RC_Drunkford
03-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Who wouldn't love the organisation that gave you a 50 million dollar contract while you're a back up PG who's only skill is shooting 3s?

Mugen
03-20-2019, 05:46 PM
You really have to hand it to Patty. Dude knows the sure fire way to get another bloated contract from the front office.

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2019, 06:29 PM
this fkn clown is nothing more then a teachers pet with his corporate culture bullshit

waving a towel every fkn spurs play
first man at the scene to help a player up if they on the floor
his not even funni in those HEB ads, its like his taken over tim, ginoboli for those ads...

pop loves that shit

spursistan
03-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Safe to say Patty is going nowhere, tbh..

He is going to be the Spurs' Udonis Haslem/Nick Collison and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his jersey retired.:lol

timvp
03-20-2019, 06:47 PM
While Patty is undeniably overpaid based solely on his on-court contributions, I'm glad that there's a player on the team who can carry forward the knowledge of the championship generation and bring it to the current squad. It would have been a shame if that connection were broken less than five years after the most recent title.

D-Robinson 50 fan
03-20-2019, 06:56 PM
If he gets traded will he still say all this stuff about the team? Lol.

On the real Mills has a lot of holes in his game but he is visually one of the leaders and locker room glue guys. I would rather have him playing as opposed to Forbes because he is more sure handed with his dribble and doesn't get as lost on defense like Forbes does.

If he didn't have the contract he has I'm sure many here wouldn't have a problem with him and that's understandable because he is over paid

DAF86
03-20-2019, 07:01 PM
While Patty is undeniably overpaid based solely on his on-court contributions, I'm glad that there's a player on the team who can carry forward the knowledge of the championship generation and bring it to the current squad. It would have been a shame if that connection were broken less than five years after the most recent title.

Any hint as to why PATFO valued Mills' corporate knowledge so much but not Danny Green's.

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Any hint as to why PATFO valued Mills' corporate knowledge so much but not Danny Green's.

u notice some of the younger players are also waving the towel like this kent on the sidelines, just to get pops attention for minutes for being teachers pet?

99 Problems
03-20-2019, 07:10 PM
One of the last great Championship playing club men left in the league tbh, unlike the current gen of mouth guard throwing, ref screaming, shimmy dancing, gm playing, coach sacking, game sitting, social media ass clowns stars gumming up the league all wanting max contracts when they all worth 30c in the $.

slick'81
03-20-2019, 07:17 PM

Exactly! we didnt have to give up green

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2019, 07:23 PM
the only corporate knowledge danny green has is the knowledge of the best clubs in SA

FkLA
03-20-2019, 07:55 PM
I don't get how the same people can say Gasol's negative energy being gone helps the team but then mock the idea that Mills' positive energy is good. Either you think the chemistry thing is overrated or you don't. You can't flip flop back and forth.

MultiTroll
03-20-2019, 09:06 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275844&highlight=pet​

timtonymanu
03-20-2019, 09:58 PM
:lol this POS

Didn’t bother covering Wade on his half court shot showing us all that valued leadership and corporate knowledge he brings

TheGreatYacht
03-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Fat aboriginal kent is good at teaching others where to be to bail him out on defense, and that's it. Disgusting fluff thread

Capt Bringdown
03-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Pop and his Thank-you contracts...has it ever paid off?

cmspur
03-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Don't understand the bashing on Patty. I didn't like him early in the year, but he is clearly playing his best season in couple of years. He clearly means lot to this team, and it's more than his play on the court

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Don't understand the bashing on Patty. I didn't like him early in the year, but he is clearly playing his best season in couple of years. He clearly means lot to this team, and it's more than his play on the court

fck him
he not over himself, or else he wouldve cut his hair and tone down his weight...hasnt done shit since that loyalty contract

timtonymanu
03-20-2019, 10:18 PM
13 million a year to play on par with Forbes, yeah we hate him for a reason

ZeusWillJudge
03-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Patty led the moral victory tonight.

Mugen
03-20-2019, 10:26 PM
I don't get how the same people can say Gasol's negative energy being gone helps the team but then mock the idea that Mills' positive energy is good. Either you think the chemistry thing is overrated or you don't. You can't flip flop back and forth.

energy? They are both fucking trash and that's why I want them off the team tbh.

If this fucker is such a great leader and culture guy what the fuck is the point on wasting roster spots on losers like QPon and Dante?

Look, being a great leader and buying into the culture is great when you're talking about a guy like Timmy. It's overrated AF when it's coming from your scrub backup PG who's barely better than Bryn Forbes. :lol

ZeusWillJudge
03-20-2019, 10:36 PM

Who's talking about "negative energy"? He sucked. I don't know about Patty's positive energy, but his defense sucks. And his 4/50 contract kept them from getting someone who doesn't suck. I don't care if Patty plays the damn digeridoo and leads them all on vision quests or whatever "positive energy" means. He's an open invitation to every player in the league who wants to pad his stats.

All he had to do on that one play was make Wade change directions once. Nothing special, just make him move sideways. He took the damn play off. And if he doesn't, it's a totally different situation at the end. I know there were lots of things that lost that game. But his careless ass just quit playing when it mattered. I can only wish he would have been on the sideline waving a towel.

timtonymanu
03-20-2019, 10:44 PM

He was like 8 or 9th best player on that run. :lol. Might as well call Belinelli the leader of the team too.

JeffDuncan
03-20-2019, 10:54 PM
Real leadership is when a player helps keep everyone focused and working together when they're on the road in an unfriendly environment.

You can judge Patty as a team leader by the road record.

Mugen
03-20-2019, 10:58 PM
Real leadership is when a player helps keep everyone focused and working together when they're on the road in an unfriendly environment.

You can judge Patty as a team leader by the road record.

The road record shouldn't even be on fatty, it's the failure of the coach to properly prepare/motivate a team in a tough environment. The Spurs literally only have one impressive road W in the last 5 years (Game 6 against Houston) and that was probably mostly on Manu motivating the guys.....

MultiTroll
03-20-2019, 11:13 PM
a player on the team who can carry forward the knowledge of the championship generation and bring it to the current squad.
Are there specific working examples of this?
How does he "bring it" to the current squad?

timtonymanu
03-20-2019, 11:16 PM
Are there specific working examples of this?
How does he "bring it" to the current squad?

"Guys I watched players who are no longer here make big plays while I towel waved from the bench. Look at me when I was skinnier and in my peak, just do those same things on the court fellas."

ICEBARREL
03-20-2019, 11:21 PM
I would trade fifty mills for a bag of Doritos in a heartbeat. Dude is a hot pile of trash. But.... but.... that culture.

99 Problems
03-21-2019, 12:39 AM
The Little General moved into the top 10 most games played for San Anvegas today. :bobo

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2019, 12:47 AM
every team has a midget, spurs have 2... one has to go man

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Absolute cancer on the floor. The front office has really lost it lauding for this guy so much who's only contribution to the team is towel waving from the bench.

slick'81
03-26-2019, 08:56 PM
One horrible contract left for spurs to rid themselves of

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 09:03 PM
One horrible contract left for spurs to rid themselves of

Until the 3 year/30 million extension by PATFO next year.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2019, 09:05 PM
0 points 3 rebounds 3 assists and 2 turnovers. Classic 50.

does anybody have a stat on Mills points in pick & rolls? I bet it's under 0.5 per posession. At the end of the 2nd quarter he was the ballhandler on 3 straight possessions and the Spurs scored 0 points of course

slick'81
03-26-2019, 09:06 PM

does anybody have a stat on Mills points in pick & rolls? I bet it's under 0.5 per posession. At the end of the 2nd quarter heaves the ballhandler on 3 straight possessions and the Spurs scored 0 points of course

but an a grade next time he hits double figures :lol

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 12:41 AM

does anybody have a stat on Mills points in pick & rolls? I bet it's under 0.5 per posession. At the end of the 2nd quarter he was the ballhandler on 3 straight possessions and the Spurs scored 0 points of course

Will Patty ever score 20 points in a game again?
Even Mike Ditka couldn't have stopped Patty Tonight.
How many titles would we have won without Patty?
Realistically speaking how much should we offer Patty next season?

RC_Drunkford
03-27-2019, 04:25 AM
Will Patty ever score 20 points in a game again?
Even Mike Ditka couldn't have stopped Patty Tonight.
How many titles would we have won without Patty?
Realistically speaking how much should we offer Patty next season?

the fact that Bryn Forbes in his 3rd season averages more points than Patty Mills ever did in his entire career tells me that they shouldn't pay Patty shit and trade his ass. But of course he will be here for another 2 years cause he's the leader

r0drig0lac
03-27-2019, 07:02 AM
Some people dont undetsta you cant replace leadership.... I use to hate Mills after his shoulder injury. But he's way more important than his towel waving days.

so he must be in the front office or in the staff, he has no argument on a court playing basketball

NASpurs
03-27-2019, 07:11 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/b5gl7m/coffee_gang_growing/

:lmao the fucking comments from the fluffers/vanillas

GusT15
03-27-2019, 07:14 AM

He'd better be buying the coffee for all the other Spurs in that picture.

How much coffee does 50million$ gets you?

MultiTroll
03-27-2019, 08:38 AM

:rolleyes :rollin

timtonymanu
03-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Mills is a good guy. Unlike Pau, I can actually buy that he’s a positive experience in the lockerroom. But his on court play can be straight up toxic with his bad defense, shot clock unawareness, streaky shooting, etc.

The Spurs had one good year from him and he’s been worse ever since. From Finley and Bonner to Mills, Pop and his love affair with those guys but I don’t remember them ever being as expensive as Mills is.

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 10:38 AM
so he must be in the front office or in the staff, he has no argument on a court playing basketball

He could be the next Spurs Coyote. I don't think anything screams Spurs culture like the Coyote. He could retire and come off the cap, and then the Spurs could pay him $12.5M a year to be the Coyote. Everybody wins.

r0drig0lac
03-27-2019, 10:43 AM
He could be the next Spurs Coyote. I don't think anything screams Spurs culture like the Coyote. He could retire and come off the cap, and then the Spurs could pay him $12.5M a year to be the Coyote. Everybody wins.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/toast.gif

MultiTroll
03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Pattys spiritual leadership including Championship knowledge really showing yet again today vs Sacramento.

Dverde
04-01-2019, 07:06 AM

Thank you for this. I was beginning to think the Spurs are heading in the right direction, but I was wrong.

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2019, 07:17 AM
spurs should be building a team to win every year

not a fkn team full of wankers who fall into line due to culture..fck that shit, fans dont want teams to be treadmill teams making up the numbers

TheGreatYacht
04-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Just now seeing this. Threw up in my mouth a little.

"Out with the lads getting coffee. Contract justified! Now hand me my up votes!"

No doubt faggot OP has an account there

NASpurs
04-06-2019, 04:24 PM
https://i.redd.it/h3z4oho2moq21.jpg

RD2191
04-06-2019, 05:36 PM

Ho lee shit. What a bunch of fucking faggots. :lmao

Snaq O'Meal
04-06-2019, 06:43 PM
https://i.redd.it/h3z4oho2moq21.jpg

Love the way those midgets hog the limelight while their best player gets shunted into the background.

timtonymanu
04-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Good ol’ Patty Mills being so useless on the court. But I’m sure some dumbasses in here will continue saying his coffee buying for teammates is what we pay him 50 million for.

slick'81
04-16-2019, 11:27 PM
Good ol’ Patty Mills being so useless on the court. But I’m sure some dumbasses in here will continue saying his coffee buying for teammates is what we pay him 50 million for.

Why did we give him $50 mills tbh?

Mugen
04-16-2019, 11:28 PM
Two more fucking years at 12 mil, all for a few staged instagram photos :lol

DPG21920
04-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Patty has been fine this year. He’s still overpaid and flawed, but he did pretty good. Problem is Pop feels forced to play him too much for some reason.

Mugen
04-16-2019, 11:34 PM
Patty has been fine this year. He’s still overpaid and flawed, but he did pretty good. Problem is Pop feels forced to play him too much for some reason.

Well yeah, that's why everybody wants him off the team. As long as he's here and Pop is coaching, he'll always get 5-10 mins too many. That shit kills you in the playoffs tbh.