PDA

View Full Version : Rove WILL NOT BE INDICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtownspur
10-27-2005, 10:07 PM
scooter libby will likely be.....

www.drudgereport.com

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Countdown to moonbat bashing of Fitzgerald...

boutons
10-27-2005, 10:58 PM
not charged, YET!!

The damage is done, poll show a majority of US thinks WH staff is either criminal or at best unethical. yep, playing to their "Christian" base.

WH still to be paralyzed and pre-occupied. It ain't over til it's R-over.

And dubya still hasn't kept his "vow" to get to the bottom of any leaking.

=========================

The New York Times
October 28, 2005

Aide to Cheney Appears Likely to Be Indicted; Rove Under Scrutiny
By DAVID JOHNSTON
and RICHARD W. STEVENSON

WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 - Lawyers in the C.I.A. leak case said Thursday that they expected I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, to be indicted on Friday, charged with making false statements to the grand jury.

Karl Rove, President Bush's senior adviser and deputy chief of staff, will not be charged on Friday, but will remain under investigation, people briefed officially about the case said. As a result, they said, the special counsel in the case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, was likely to extend the term of the federal grand jury beyond its scheduled expiration on Friday.

As rumors coursed through the capital, Mr. Fitzgerald gave no public signal of how he intended to proceed, further intensifying the anxiety that has gripped the White House and left partisans on both sides of the political aisle holding their breath.

Mr. Fitzgerald's preparations for a Friday announcement were shrouded in secrecy, but advanced amid a flurry of behind-the-scenes discussions that left open the possibility of last-minute surprises. As the clock ticked down on the grand jury, people involved in the investigation did not rule out the disclosure of previously unknown aspects of the case.

White House officials said their presumption was that Mr. Libby would resign if indicted, and he and Mr. Rove took steps to expand their legal teams in preparation for a possible court battle.

Among the many unresolved mysteries is whether anyone in addition to Mr. Libby and Mr. Rove might be charged and in particular whether Mr. Fitzgerald would name the source who first provided the identity of a covert C.I.A. officer to Robert D. Novak, the syndicated columnist. Mr. Novak identified the officer in a column published July 14, 2003.

The investigation seemed to be taking an unexpectedly extended path after nearly two years in which Mr. Fitzgerald brought more than a dozen current and former administration officials before the grand jury and interviewed Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney to determine how the identity of the officer, Valerie Plame Wilson, became public.

Mr. Fitzgerald is expected to hold a news conference at the Justice Department in Washington on Friday. His spokesman, Randall Samborn, declined to comment.

Mr. Fitzgerald has examined whether the leak of Ms. Wilson's identity was part of an effort by the administration to respond to criticism of the White House by her husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV, a former diplomat. After traveling to Africa in 2002 on a C.I.A.-sponsored mission to look into claims that Iraq had sought to acquire material there for its nuclear weapons program, Mr. Wilson wrote in an Op-Ed article in The New York Times on July 6, 2003, that the White House had "twisted" the intelligence regarding the suspected transaction to justify the invasion of Iraq.

At the White House, the withdrawal of Harriet E. Miers as the president's nominee to the Supreme Court dominated the day. Still, officials waited anxiously for word about developments in the investigation, which has the potential to shape the remainder of Mr. Bush's second term.

Officials said that Mr. Bush, who traveled to Florida on Thursday to view the damage from Hurricane Wilma, would keep to his planned schedule on Friday, including a speech on terrorism in Norfolk, Va., if indictments were announced.

Administration officials said that the White House would seek to keep as low a profile as possible if indictments were issued; Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, did not schedule a briefing for Friday, and Mr. Bush plans to leave in the afternoon for a weekend at Camp David.

With so much about the outcome of the case still in doubt, political strategists in Washington spent the day gaming out the implications of different endings.

The apparent delay in a decision about whether to charge Mr. Rove, and the continuation of the criminal inquiry, is a mixed outcome for the administration. It leaves open the possibility that Mr. Rove, Mr. Bush's closest and most trusted adviser, could avoid indictment altogether, an outcome that would be not just a legal victory but also the best political outcome the White House could hope for under the circumstances.

Yet, in apparently leaving Mr. Rove in legal limbo for now, Mr. Fitzgerald has left him and Mr. Bush to twist in the uncertainty of a case that has delved deep into the innermost workings of the White House and provided Democrats an opportunity to attack the administration's honesty and the way it justified the war to the American people.

Mr. Rove has had to step back from many of his public duties, including appearing at fund-raisers, and he is likely to have to keep a low profile as long as the investigation continues. It could also leave him distracted, depriving the White House of his full attention at a time when Mr. Bush is struggling to regain his political footing after months in which the bloody insurgency in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina and the failed Supreme Court nomination of Harriet E. Miers have left the administration stumbling.

An indictment of Mr. Libby, who is seen by many people in the White House as Mr. Cheney's alter ego, would also keep a focus on the way in which the administration built its case that Saddam Hussein was a threat who had to be dealt with. Any trial of Mr. Libby would likely shine a spotlight in particular on Mr. Cheney and his prewar role.

Mr. Fitzgerald has been closely examining the truthfulness of accounts given by Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby about their conversations with reporters about Ms. Wilson. As early as February 2004, two months after he was appointed, Mr. Fitzgerald obtained a specific written authorization from James B. Comey, the deputy attorney general who appointed him, permitting him to investigate efforts to mislead the inquiry.

The prosecutor has inquired how Mr. Libby and Mr. Rove first learned that Ms. Wilson was employed at the C.I.A. and whether the discussions were part of a deliberate effort to undermine the credibility of her husband, according to lawyers in the case. The lawyers declined to be named, citing Mr. Fitzgerald's request not to discuss the case.

Allies of Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby have hoped that Mr. Fitzgerald could be convinced that any misstatements were inadvertent and not intended to conceal their actions from prosecutors.

In addition, they have hoped that the prosecutor would conclude it would be difficult to convince a jury that Mr. Rove or Mr. Libby had a clear-cut motive to misinform the grand jury. Lawyers for the two men declined to comment on their legal status.

In Mr. Rove's case, the prosecutor appears to have focused on two conversations that Mr. Rove had with reporters. The first, on July 9, 2003, was with Mr. Novak. Mr. Rove told the grand jury that Mr. Novak mentioned Ms. Wilson and that was the first time he had heard Ms. Wilson's name.

Mr. Rove's second conversation took place on July 11, 2003, with Matthew Cooper, a reporter for Time magazine. Earlier this year, Mr. Cooper wrote that Mr. Rove did not name Ms. Wilson but told him that she worked at the C.I.A. and had been responsible for sending her husband to Africa.

In his first sessions with prosecutors, Mr. Rove did not disclose his phone conversation with Mr. Cooper, the lawyers said, though he disclosed from the start his conversation with Mr. Novak. The lawyers added that Mr. Rove did not recall the conversation with Mr. Cooper until the discovery of an e-mail note about the conversation that he had sent to Stephen J. Hadley, then the deputy national security adviser. But Mr. Fitzgerald has been skeptical about the omission, the lawyers said.

In Mr. Libby's case, Mr. Fitzgerald has focused on his statements about how he first learned of Ms. Wilson's identity. Early in the investigation, Mr. Libby turned over notes of a meeting with Mr. Cheney in June 2003 that indicated the vice president had told him about Ms. Wilson, the lawyers said.

But Mr. Libby told the grand jury that he learned of Ms. Wilson from reporters, lawyers involved in the case said. Reporters who are known to have talked to Mr. Libby have said that they did not provide him the name, could not recall what had been said or had discussed unrelated subjects.

* Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2005, 11:11 PM
I'll buy it when I see it. Drudge also ran a story announcing that Edith Clement was 100% sure to be the Supreme Court nominee on the day that Roberts was nominated, and ran a story that U.S. troops had bin Laden inescapably surrounded. In other words, Drudge's stories are far from infalliable.

Nbadan
10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
In other words, Drudge's stories are far from infalliable.

The FWD's polite way of saying Drudge has a reputation as a scumbag liar.

:lol

Dos
10-27-2005, 11:57 PM
and the NYT has never lied... lol...

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2005, 12:11 AM
I'll buy it when I see it. Drudge also ran a story announcing that Edith Clement was 100% sure to be the Supreme Court nominee on the day that Roberts was nominated, and ran a story that U.S. troops had bin Laden inescapably surrounded. In other words, Drudge's stories are far from infalliable.

Well, that's linked from the NY Times. I guess they're back to practicing their brand of falliable journalism.

JoeChalupa
10-28-2005, 07:37 AM
As I've said...Rove will walk away unscathed.

SA210
10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Not indicted..............yet

boutons
10-28-2005, 09:43 AM
"Rove ... unscathed"

Perhaps escaping legally, but his reputation as a Bush-family "whatever it takes" unethical slimebag, in the Atwater/Starr tradition, has been resoundingly confirmed. "ethics" and "politicians" have long since been diametrically opposed imo, but some naive Americans still expect ethical behavior in their leaders.

And don't forget let current legalities obscure the framework of the leak: the WHIG was out to destroy anybody who dared expose their lies about their "justifications" for the Repub Iraq war.

Oh, Gee!!
10-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Rasho!!!!!!

Mr. Peabody
10-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Rasho!!!!!!

I see Rasho is screwing everything up again.
________
Paoli (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Paoli/)

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Innocent.

Yonivore
10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
So, can I have the first shift for Nbadan's suicide watch?

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about scheduling anyone after that...I'm not very attentive.

scott
10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
The major political damange for the Bush White House would come during a trial in which questions about the push for an Iraq war based on them having WMDs arise. I imagine that White House realizes this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Libby (or whoever is indicted) to plead guilty to avoid a trial.

Yonivore
10-28-2005, 10:47 AM
The major political damange for the Bush White House would come during a trial in which questions about the push for an Iraq war based on them having WMDs arise. I imagine that White House realizes this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Libby (or whoever is indicted) to plead guilty to avoid a trial.
A trial will never happen because the entire ordeal is the result of a CIA attempt to undermine the Bush Presidency and any trial will, necessarily, expose that plot.

Here's an interesting take on the whole matter that I find intriguing and plausible:

The Untold Story: Joseph Wilson, Judith Miller and the CIA (http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-10_25_05_CKI.html)

Just why did Judith Miller spend those months in the hoosegow?

scott
10-28-2005, 11:22 AM
A trial will never happen because the entire ordeal is the result of a CIA attempt to undermine the Bush Presidency and any trial will, necessarily, expose that plot.

You must be dizzy.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2005, 11:29 AM

I guess Yoni has joined Dan in the tin-hat conspiracies-are-us domain.

SA210
10-28-2005, 11:43 AM
and Bush today with another photo opportunity talking to the vets...

"We will not stop until we win the war on terror" :rolleyes

Yonivore
10-28-2005, 11:44 AM
At least my theories actually involve people whose business is conspiracies...

Are you denying there was was a good deal of tension between the White House and the CIA, leading up to the War? Are you denying that Porter Goss was sent over to clean CIA house?

Just a theory...one I believe is quite plausible.

MannyIsGod
10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I guess Yoni has joined Dan in the tin-hat conspiracies-are-us domain.
Joined? They are cofounders.

Yonivore
10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm not only the President -- I'm a client! :elephant

Ocotillo
10-28-2005, 12:52 PM
No indictment.......but the investigation continues. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Does Scooter sing?

spurster
10-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Does Scooter sing?
Sing, Scooter, Sing.

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2005, 02:01 PM
So much for "Fitzmas".

Dos
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
yup looks like all he will charge libby with is perjury and false statements....

there won't be a trial about WMD's or the case for war, or a crime about leaking a covert agents identity.. no fitzmas this year ...

Vashner
10-28-2005, 02:13 PM
WMD's? what would be a good trial so Clinton admin, France, UN, England MI 5 and others that said he had WMD could testify.

xrayzebra
10-28-2005, 02:32 PM

Well there goes my theory that you had intelligence. Go back to hurricanes.
At least there you made sense.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2005, 02:38 PM
I swear, gtownspur should change his name to Nostradamus

gtownspur
10-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Well compared to NbaDans predictions that we were going to have 6 indictments. YEah you can call me Nostra.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2005, 03:00 PM
touche

boutons
10-29-2005, 03:33 PM
The scumbag, lying ball of string about the Iraq war will go through a lot more unraveliing. Scooter is just the first yank of string.

May the special prosecutor(s) return to the Repugs the favor of Whitewater/Paula-MonicaGate.

Lies abou he-said-she-said sex vs lies resulting in 2000 dead Americans? NO CONTEST.

SA210
10-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Well compared to NbaDans predictions that we were going to have 6 indictments. YEah you can call me Nostra.

Wait a minute, the investigation is not over. If Fitzgerald felt there was nothing else he would have closed the case. He did not close the case. He's getting another grand jury and keeping this very serious investigation open.

Mr. Cheney, Rove and Gov. Bushs' future do not look very promising,...

not that it ever did.

gtownspur
10-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Bush, cheney, rumsfeld, and the whole illegal white house lawn care service will be behind bars...... GO KUCINICH!!!!!!!2008!!!!!!!!!

jochhejaam
10-30-2005, 08:20 AM
yup looks like all he will charge libby with is perjury and false statements....
And Libby's defense of those charges will be that his memory of the events became sketchy because of the time lapse. I'd be surprised if he's convicted of anything at all.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The lawyer for Vice President Dick Cheney's former top aide is outlining a possible criminal defense that is a time-honored tradition in Washington scandals: A busy official immersed in important duties cannot reasonably be expected to remember details of long-ago conversations.

Friday's indictment of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby alleges that as Cheney's chief of staff he lied to FBI agents and a federal grand jury. The case has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton, a nominee of President Bush in 2001.

Libby, who resigned as soon as the indictment was handed up, was operating amid "the hectic rush of issues and events at a busy time for our government," according to a statement released by his attorney, Joseph Tate.

"We are quite distressed the special counsel (Patrick Fitzgerald) has now sought to pursue alleged inconsistencies in Mr. Libby's recollection and those of others and to charge such inconsistencies as false statements," Tate continued.

"As lawyers, we recognize that a person's recollection and memory of events will not always match those of other people, particularly when they are asked to testify months after the events occurred."

The lack-of-memory defense has worked with varying degrees of success in controversies from Iran-Contra to Whitewater.

Only one person went to prison in the Iran-Contra affair, although several people pleaded guilty to making false statements. President Clinton and his wife, Hillary, were cleared in the Whitewater investigation of fraudulent land deals in Arkansas, a subject well-suited to a lack-of-memory defense. The land deals took place a decade before they came under criminal investigation.

Tate referred to another possible line of defense, saying that "for five years, through difficult times, Mr. Libby has done his best to serve our country." That argument worked in the administration of President George H.W. Bush in 1992, though not in court.
(snip)

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051029/D8DHPI000.html

exstatic
10-30-2005, 10:13 AM
It won't work for Scooter though. I was watching Tim Russert's show last night, and they brought this up. His own testimony before the GJ is going to work against him. It covers the same time period and is reputed to be in great detail and down to the minutia, something that would be difficult for an individual with a foggy memory.

Hook Dem
10-30-2005, 11:15 AM
It won't work for Scooter though. I was watching Tim Russert's show last night, and they brought this up. His own testimony before the GJ is going to work against him. It covers the same time period and is reputed to be in great detail and down to the minutia, something that would be difficult for an individual with a foggy memory.
Tim Russert??????? :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

jochhejaam
10-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Here's an interesting article posted on Drudge a couple of hours ago.

PROSECUTOR PLANS ON CALLING CHENEY AS WITNESS IN OPEN COURT; EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE FIGHT LOOMS

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald is planning to call Vice President Dick Cheney as a witness in the trial of Lewis Libby, the DRUDGE REPORT has leaned.

But the high stakes move could result in an executive privilege showdown between the White House and Fitzgerald, a top government source said Sunday.

"If Mr. Fitzgerald is going to demand a public recounting of conversations between the vice president, or even the president, and his staff, on matters he, himself, has acknowledged are 'classified,' executive privilege will obviously be invoked."

Fitzgerald has made it clear to lawyers involved in the case that he prefers Cheney appear as a witness in open court.

"Mr. Fitzgerald is starting from the position that this should not be done on remote or videotape," the well-placed source said.

Fitzgerald and Libby's attorney Joseph Tate discussed possible plea options before the indictment was issued last week, TIME magazine reports in new editions. But the deal was scotched because the prosecutor insisted that Libby do some "serious" jail time.

Developing...
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6fi.htm

smeagol
10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Well there goes my theory that you had intelligence. Go back to hurricanes.
At least there you made sense.
Funny you bring "making sense" up 'cause you have 757 posts of pure nonsense. :rolleyes